Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: denni266, December 4, 2021, 4:23pm
Had enough of this little never was man.  5 changes  a back line that is crap.   He has had a year and done nothing apart from a few odd games  then free fall  dont even come back to clear your desk
Posted by: headingly_mariner, December 4, 2021, 4:25pm; Reply: 1
Give over you whopper
Posted by: Mariner93er, December 4, 2021, 4:28pm; Reply: 2
There’s no denying we’re in free fall. If we have genuine ambitions of getting promoted, it’s surely not out of the question - on current form, the play offs will be out of reach.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, December 4, 2021, 4:30pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Mariner93er
There’s no denying we’re in free fall. If we have genuine ambitions of getting promoted, it’s surely not out of the question - on current form, the play offs will be out of reach.

It’s flipping hysterical nonsense. Speak to Scunny fans about sacking your manager while you’re in the play offs.

Shocking run yes, terminal no.
Posted by: denni266, December 4, 2021, 4:32pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Give over you whopper

Give over what ?   This is sheit  stick the red crosses  and the sprinklers  we need a manager and a team  Too mant happy clappers and rose glasses again thats how he is getting away with it .. Dont care if we win today he has to go and quick  this is disgusting
Posted by: chaos33, December 4, 2021, 4:34pm; Reply: 5
I would respect your view if you didn’t present it like an illiterate and peevish child.
Posted by: Simon, December 4, 2021, 4:44pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from denni266
Had enough of this little never was man.  5 changes  a back line that is crap.   He has had a year and done nothing apart from a few odd games  then free fall  dont even come back to clear your desk

Bring back Holloway  ;D ;D ;D

The red cross is the middle one

(idhitit)(idhitit)
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, December 4, 2021, 4:47pm; Reply: 7
Ridiculous.

Hurst is a class manager that needs to be allowed his time to acquire, build, assess, adjust and acquire to build again

There are no quick fixes. You support your manager and accept that things take time with ups and downs
Posted by: golfer, December 4, 2021, 4:50pm; Reply: 8
Let's hang on for the transfer window, then we can resign Green and Payne
Posted by: Squinter, December 4, 2021, 4:53pm; Reply: 9
Can't help but think that this huge change in form is somehow linked to Sears drink driving
Posted by: gytone, December 4, 2021, 4:57pm; Reply: 10
I can't help thinking something has gone on behind the scenes.
Posted by: exiledmeggie, December 4, 2021, 4:57pm; Reply: 11
I am off to get some popcorn in for this!
Posted by: chaos33, December 4, 2021, 4:58pm; Reply: 12
Are you for real? In what way could that really be plausible?!
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 4, 2021, 4:58pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Fillipe Noche
Ridiculous.

Hurst is a class manager that needs to be allowed his time to acquire, build, assess, adjust and acquire to build again

There are no quick fixes. You support your manager and accept that things take time with ups and downs

How many times does he have to assess, aquire and build?
Posted by: davmariner, December 4, 2021, 4:59pm; Reply: 14
Rome wasn’t built in a day.
Posted by: newarkmariner, December 4, 2021, 5:00pm; Reply: 15
what the actual f%ck,give your head a wobble you imbecile,or fu&koff and support someone else,pathetic post
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 4, 2021, 5:01pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Simon

Bring back Holloway  ;D ;D ;D

The red cross is the middle one

(idhitit)(idhitit)

Well Holloway had a better record for his half of last season than Hurst did😉
Posted by: Mariner93er, December 4, 2021, 5:02pm; Reply: 17

It’s flipping hysterical nonsense. Speak to Scunny fans about sacking your manager while you’re in the play offs.

Shocking run yes, terminal no.

It’s not hysterical though is it. Past should tell you we’re much more likely to stumble into the play offs under hurst than we are challenge for the league. Doesn’t this feel familiar to you? Haven’t we been through this all before?
Posted by: Zmariner, December 4, 2021, 5:02pm; Reply: 18
Ridiculous.

In recent times not really very good. Since Shrewsbury he has been rubbish and he was 50% of our relegation
Certainly no sacking yet , but this form until Xmas and he has to go. We are pathetic and this run us hard to excuse
Posted by: Vance Warner, December 4, 2021, 5:03pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from arryarryarry

For me at least January and then the summer. Don’t forget what he inherited. Apologies if a rational reply to a defeat makes me a happy clapper.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 4, 2021, 5:05pm; Reply: 20
We’ve lost 6 out of 7. Is that acceptable in the National League? No. Is it time to sack him? Not yet but he’s running out of credits for sure.
Posted by: HerveJosse, December 4, 2021, 5:05pm; Reply: 21
Not sure sacking Hurst will be in Jason’s repertoire.
More likely he will send him on a course.
Posted by: sapper mariner, December 4, 2021, 5:06pm; Reply: 22
same old manager (insert name here) thread. Instead of just rambling on saying we need a team with fight etc etc  who would you like in charge and who is available. i am no way justifying the current run but it just gets my goat when people spout about change but offer up no solution.
Posted by: Quagmire, December 4, 2021, 5:06pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Mariner93er

It’s not hysterical though is it. Past should tell you we’re much more likely to stumble into the play offs under hurst than we are challenge for the league. Doesn’t this feel familiar to you? Haven’t we been through this all before?

It’s the reason he took the job in the first place.

Keeps us up and he’s lauded as a hero by some on here for preventing something that was inevitable despite not being in the relegation places.

If we’re relegated he gets at least 2 seasons ‘re-building’ and probably into a 3rd season down here before he gets sacked.  

Should never have been allowed to carry on after last season.  Came in to keep the club out of the relegation places and failed, should have been sacked last season.
Posted by: DB, December 4, 2021, 5:09pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from arryarryarry

I don't know, but Fergy does. How many teams did he build?

Posted by: mariner91, December 4, 2021, 5:10pm; Reply: 25
He’s rapidly running out of excuses. The weird, inexplicable personnel changes need to stop.
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 4, 2021, 5:10pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Vance Warner

For me at least January and then the summer. Don’t forget what he inherited. Apologies if a rational reply to a defeat makes me a happy clapper.

Was it 11 or 12 players he brought in last January?
Posted by: Quagmire, December 4, 2021, 5:12pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Vance Warner

Don’t forget what he inherited.

A team outside of the relegation places who he managed to get relegated?
Posted by: Kris2, December 4, 2021, 5:12pm; Reply: 28
Boo give us a new manager every season and a half! That worked really well for us before.....
Posted by: OneLove, December 4, 2021, 5:12pm; Reply: 29
Well having gone from top of the league and a team that could put teams away with slick football and creating chances to a team that seem troubled, to me means off field antics having heard about a player whether its true or not but this along with sears maybe sum it up why we have gone off the rails.
Posted by: Kris2, December 4, 2021, 5:13pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Quagmire

A team heading straight for them that the previous manager bottled on taking responsibility for the relegation.
Posted by: pen penfras, December 4, 2021, 5:15pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from OneLove
Well having gone from top of the league and a team that could put teams away with slick football and creating chances to a team that seem troubled, to me means off field antics having heard about a player whether its true or not but this along with sears maybe sum it up why we have gone off the rails.

What did you hear?
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, December 4, 2021, 5:15pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Quagmire

He had plenty of time to turn it around last season ..he didn’t. He’s slowly turning us into a mid table level five team anyone who thinks that’s acceptable needs to wobble their head.  
Posted by: ackomariner, December 4, 2021, 5:19pm; Reply: 33
Ridiculous.

Hurst is a class manager
that needs to be allowed his time to acquire, build, assess, adjust and acquire to build again

;D ;D ;D
Posted by: MarinerWY, December 4, 2021, 5:25pm; Reply: 34
How quickly things change. I remember when Hurst took over there was popular posts on here stating (correctly imo) that if we go down, it's on Fenty and Holloway and definitely not Hurst, he inherited a shitshow that was in freefall.

Now we have had a bad run, and posters on this thread are digging into the past cos it bolsters their current narrative.

Hurst was not to blame for us being Relegated. That is absurd.

Moving to the here and now, I think it would be far too premature to sack Huest now. At start of the season I'd have settled for the play-offs in what is a tough National League this year. My hopes have been massively up for automatic promotion since we started so well, but that doesn't mean I'm forgetting the overall context. Playoffs in this current league would mean success, considering our start point post Fenty & Holloway. I still believe Hurst will get us there, at least.
Posted by: Ipswin, December 4, 2021, 5:27pm; Reply: 35
Neil Warnock anyone?
Posted by: quebec38, December 4, 2021, 5:28pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from sapper mariner
same old manager (insert name here) thread. Instead of just rambling on saying we need a team with fight etc etc  who would you like in charge and who is available. i am no way justifying the current run but it just gets my goat when people spout about change but offer up no solution.

Welcome to thefishy.
Posted by: pen penfras, December 4, 2021, 5:32pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from MarinerWY
How quickly things change. I remember when Hurst took over there was popular posts on here stating (correctly imo) that if we go down, it's on Fenty and Holloway and definitely not Hurst, he inherited a shitshow that was in freefall.

Now we have had a bad run, and posters on this thread are digging into the past cos it bolsters their current narrative.

Hurst was not to blame for us being Relegated. That is absurd.

Moving to the here and now, I think it would be far too premature to sack Huest now. At start of the season I'd have settled for the play-offs in what is a tough National League this year. My hopes have been massively up for automatic promotion since we started so well, but that doesn't mean I'm forgetting the overall context. Playoffs in this current league would mean success, considering our start point post Fenty & Holloway. I still believe Hurst will get us there, at least.

If Hurst hadn't signed so much shite at the end of last season, then the starting point for this season would have been better. It certainly wasn't a universal opinion that Hurst was free from blame, and taking over a team that wasn't in the relegation zone then finishing bottom is hardly blameless. We were better when he stopped playing so many of his signings and brought players back in that he'd outcast a couple of months earlier. No wonder they weren't playing for him...
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, December 4, 2021, 5:36pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Ipswin
Neil Warnock anyone?

I’d have him in a heartbeat
Posted by: easypeersy, December 4, 2021, 5:40pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from chaos33
I would respect your view if you didn’t present it like an illiterate and peevish child.

I would respect anybody’s opinion whether they are professor of English language or someone with literacy problems from a special needs school.
I think it is you who are being childish trying to belittle someone who is only trying to express an opinion!
Posted by: easypeersy, December 4, 2021, 5:43pm; Reply: 40
Even the most ardent supporters of Hurst will turn against him now hopefully.
He has suffocated and stifled  any flair and passion out of our team. Sets us up to worry about the other team and not play football but instead just hoof it up the pitch.
Does he even know what a winger is. We didn’t seem to have any and theirs were in so much space yet nothing was done about it.
I see more inspiration and charisma from a garden slug.
How can such a boring person inspire any team?
It’s a Hurst out now! from me
Posted by: chaos33, December 4, 2021, 5:46pm; Reply: 41
There’s a shock.
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, December 4, 2021, 5:50pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from easypeersy
He has suffocated and stifled  any flair and passion out of our team. Sets us up to worry about the other team and not play football but instead just hoof it up the pitch.
Does he even know what a winger is. We didn’t seem to have any and theirs were in so much space yet nothing was done about it.

Please don’t
Posted by: Yoda, December 4, 2021, 5:51pm; Reply: 43
One good season at Shrewsbury the rest of his career has been very mediocre.
What was it last season 3 wins in 29.
Posted by: Mariner93er, December 4, 2021, 5:52pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from easypeersy

Think this is my concern, has he coached attacking flair out of the team? Seems like a crazy question, but our start was surprising because the style was very un-Hurst. Now we seem to have reverted to what you’d expect from hurst.

But the first 10 games prove we have a team capable of keeping pace with the top teams. So, do we wait and see if hurst can get us playing well again? Or do we take a chance on a more attacking manager who may get the best out of this squad and what we know it’s capable of?

Posted by: Wiley2405, December 4, 2021, 5:52pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Ipswin
Neil Warnock anyone?

Neil Warnock would not drop down to the National League. He’s also 73 this is a long term project therefore it wouldn’t interest him neither the board.
Posted by: Simon, December 4, 2021, 5:55pm; Reply: 46
Not saying sack Hurst, we have proved over the years swapping / changing doesn't work we have to stick with someone long term but i would invite Alan Buckley into the fold to work with Hurst in some capacity

Buckley is too good not to have involved in some capacity at the club & still living down Cheapside he's here ready to go
Posted by: Ipswin, December 4, 2021, 6:01pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Wiley2405

Neil Warnock would not drop down to the National League. He’s also 73 this is a long term project therefore it wouldn’t interest him neither the board.

I don't think the board would recognise a good manager if they met one and with Warnock it wouldn't be half as long a 'project' (don't you hate that stupid word!) He'd have us back up long before the poisoned dwarf got anywhere near it
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 4, 2021, 6:02pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from Simon
Not saying sack Hurst, we have proved over the years swapping / changing doesn't work we have to stick with someone long term but i would invite Alan Buckley into the fold to work with Hurst in some capacity

Buckley is too good not to have involved in some capacity at the club & still living down Cheapside he's here ready to go

Wainman in goal anyone?
Posted by: Simon, December 4, 2021, 6:07pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Wainman in goal anyone?

Probably still better than the two we have

Posted by: Ipswin, December 4, 2021, 6:15pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from Simon

Probably still better than the two we have

I don't think Crocombe did much wrong today - no worse than Macca anyway

Posted by: headingly_mariner, December 4, 2021, 6:42pm; Reply: 51
Why the intercourse would Warnock drop into non-league?

Some of the shite on here is completely detached from reality
Posted by: Abdul19, December 4, 2021, 6:50pm; Reply: 52
Can't believe it took til post 4 for the phrase 'happy clapper' to appear.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, December 4, 2021, 6:54pm; Reply: 53

I think it was tongue in cheek regarding Warnock …but let’s face it anyway hurst is here for a while yet anyway
Posted by: Ipswin, December 4, 2021, 7:01pm; Reply: 54

Lets be honest no fornicator who is a) any good and / or b) commands a salary above that of the mere pittance on offer at GTFC is going to come to Grimsby Town anyway (look at the previous two morons)

Every time I say that in my opinion the poisoned dwarf should never have been re-appointed some smart twit always comes up with 'who would you have then?' Well I'd have Warnock. He loves a challenge, and lets face it Grimsby Town is certainly that, and who knows who might be interested if the money is right. He'd be  damn sight more dynamic that Hurst that's for sure
Posted by: ancientmariner54, December 4, 2021, 7:01pm; Reply: 55
girl private!
Posted by: Ipswin, December 4, 2021, 7:03pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

I think it was tongue in cheek regarding Warnock …but let’s face it anyway hurst is here for a while yet anyway

Sadly yes on both counts although I am hopeful Hurst might not hang on as long as he did the first time
Posted by: Dave Gilberts Left Peg, December 4, 2021, 7:08pm; Reply: 57
He’s got till Xmas.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, December 4, 2021, 7:40pm; Reply: 58
Would be a bit harsh to sack a manager when we have the best home record of any club in the top 5 divisions wouldn’t it?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 4, 2021, 7:42pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Would be a bit harsh to sack a manager when we have the best home record of any club in the top 5 divisions wouldn’t it?

You’re only six games away from the sack. Said someone. More than once.
Posted by: ginnywings, December 4, 2021, 7:48pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from MuddyWaters

We've lost 2 since our last win, so four more games to go.  ;)
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 4, 2021, 7:52pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from Ipswin

Lets be honest no fornicator who is a) any good and / or b) commands a salary above that of the mere pittance on offer at GTFC is going to come to Grimsby Town anyway (look at the previous two morons)

Every time I say that in my opinion the poisoned dwarf should never have been re-appointed some smart twit always comes up with 'who would you have then?' Well I'd have Warnock. He loves a challenge, and lets face it Grimsby Town is certainly that, and who knows who might be interested if the money is right. He'd be  damn sight more dynamic that Hurst that's for sure

And like both of the “previous morons” he knows nothing about the game at this level, 30 odd years ago maybe he was familiar with non league but not now.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 4, 2021, 7:55pm; Reply: 62
Maybe just maybe the players need to take some blame & accountability for the current bad run?
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, December 4, 2021, 7:58pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Maybe just maybe the players need to take some blame & accountability for the current bad run?

Football doesn't work like that
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, December 4, 2021, 8:06pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from Ipswin

I don't think the board would recognise a good manager if they met one and with Warnock it wouldn't be half as long a 'project' (don't you hate that stupid word!) He'd have us back up long before the poisoned dwarf got anywhere near it

1. Neil Warnock is 73
2. We couldn’t afford his basic salary
3. We certainly couldn’t afford his promotion bonus
4. If we could afford 3 and 4, we wouldn’t be able to afford to sign any players
5. Warnock is Redknapp-ian in carting the same players from club-to-club. We couldn’t afford any of his entourage. We certainly couldn’t afford the 20 strikers he likes on the books.
6. With only one automatic promotion place it would be a huge risk and pressure for a Championship / L1 manager to drop down to non-league football
7. Warnock is mates with Slade (could work both ways)
8. Warnock was in the frame for the Cardiff City & Sheff Utd jobs. Admittedly he wasn’t appointed but still…
9. See point 5, which I won’t expand on for legal reasons / risk of defamation
10. There will be other clubs in the division with bigger budgets than us. We were never favourites for promotion. I don’t even think Warnock would get us promoted and certainly not automatically.

Do you have any sensible and obtainable targets?
Posted by: fishcake63, December 4, 2021, 8:30pm; Reply: 65
stop over reacting ok it's a shocking run away from home but at home been excellant , not sure how we stop this run but not keen on swapping managers this quickly it didn't work last year
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 4, 2021, 8:44pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from fishcake63
stop over reacting ok it's a shocking run away from home but at home been excellant , not sure how we stop this run but not keen on swapping managers this quickly it didn't work last year

Mmm, last manager walked out though.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, December 4, 2021, 9:00pm; Reply: 67
I sense that Revans & Bapaga may well have their loans terminated come January and we will be looking for more experienced alternatives. We also desperately need to find another front player/striker as LJL is clearly not going to do what any team requires from their striker.

Defensively I am puzzled as to what has gone wrong as we looked to have eight decent defenders W it’s two reasonable and acceptable options for each position but away from home we just haven’t been able to cope and PH teams historically have been more efficient away from home grinding out hard earned victories and in his past period in charge I cannot remember when we lost so many away games on the bounce. Given these facts maybe we need to look deeper at the midfield and whether we need someone a bit more robust and physical to compliment the skills of Hunt & Fox. I keep banging the drum, and getting red crossed, for saying we need someone else on the left side of our midfield but the fact that there is apparently a continued problem down our left flank is in my opinion confirmation that this is required. Clifton played very well last year at left back and that might have been a better option today but hindsight always makes selection easier.

Importantly we need to win the home games versus Chesterfield and Borehamwood and get to January in a reasonable position and hopefully then make a couple of signings to get us back playing well and with confidence.
Posted by: Dave Gilberts Left Peg, December 4, 2021, 9:07pm; Reply: 68
Can’t believe how many happy clappers are accepting this, Although nobody has a god given right to be promoted because of the size and history of the club we still deserve a lot better than this. I genuinely find this unacceptable, it’s time to put Town back where they belong and if Hurst isn’t the man let’s have him gone by Xmas
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, December 4, 2021, 9:18pm; Reply: 69
Can’t believe how many happy clappers are accepting this, Although nobody has a god given right to be promoted because of the size and history of the club we still deserve a lot better than this. I genuinely find this unacceptable, it’s time to put Town back where they belong and if Hurst isn’t the man let’s have him gone by Xmas

There aren’t any ‘happy clappers’.

Absolutely nobody on this forum is happy to have lost six out of the last seven matches. Not even professional optimist ‘DB’ will be upbeat about this run.

Find me an alternative manager available and obtainable.

You will struggle with this because you know very little about football.
Posted by: Dave Gilberts Left Peg, December 4, 2021, 9:22pm; Reply: 70

Absolutely nobody on this forum is happy to have lost six out of the last seven matches. Not even professional optimist ‘DB’ will be upbeat about this run.

Ok Dave, keep on clapping

Posted by: Hagrid, December 4, 2021, 9:34pm; Reply: 71

Ok Dave, keep on clapping

Having an alternate view doesnt make you a “ happy clapper”. You sound like that gtfcjacko off twitter.

Noone wants to lose football matches, noone wants to lose 6 out of 7. But changing managers doesnt work- not for this club-if we get 5 games down the line and we’ve lost them all, yes maybe. But am i a happy clapper because i dont want PH Sacked?
Posted by: Humbercod, December 4, 2021, 9:39pm; Reply: 72
Sack the girl private, flipping useless!
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, December 4, 2021, 9:45pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from Humbercod

Which replacement have you lined up?
Posted by: GrimRob, December 4, 2021, 9:45pm; Reply: 74
When was the last time sacking a manager had a positive impact (apart from the two times we appointed PH)?
Posted by: Vance Warner, December 4, 2021, 9:50pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from GrimRob
When was the last time sacking a manager had a positive impact (apart from the two times we appointed PH)?

Genuinely good question. Holloway resigned and first time round it was Scott and Hurst initially. I can’t think of a single occasion when sacking a manager mid season improved the future of the club. Anyone?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 4, 2021, 9:56pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from Vance Warner

Genuinely good question. Holloway resigned and first time round it was Scott and Hurst initially. I can’t think of a single occasion when sacking a manager mid season improved the future of the club. Anyone?

Jolley?
Posted by: Vance Warner, December 4, 2021, 10:01pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Jolley?

Jolley and Groves in the short term to keep us up but it’s hard to argue either improved us beyond that.
Posted by: Poojah, December 4, 2021, 10:03pm; Reply: 78
This is a real head scratcher. We’re 6th after 18 games. In August, that wouldn’t have been a disaster. But finding ourselves there after 6 defeats in 7, against sides which have largely been either down the bottom end of the league, bang out of form or both, is galling.

That’s a worrying sequence of results, particularly when our next two games are against the top two, and the one after that against fifth (third on PPG). It’s incredibly difficult to predict a win against anyone right now, and even more so against our next three opponents. If 6 defeats in 7 becomes 9 in 10, I don’t think I’m being dramatic in saying that Hurst’s position risks coming into serious question.

In a world of Hurst lovers and haters, I’m definitely in the former camp. But so far this season we’ve seen the very best and the very worst of Hurst teams. Initially hard working, tenacious and almost impossible to beat, and then suddenly overly pragmatic, predictable and soft. It’s hard to compute why things have changed so drastically.

Our early season form should serve as sufficient cash in the bank to keep Hurst in a job for now, but make no mistake, given the fixtures immediately in front of us his credibility as a manager is seriously at risk. He’ll be brutally aware of this.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, December 4, 2021, 10:18pm; Reply: 79
My concert is this. In those first games the players seemed to play with a certain style and aggression and it was a settled side but Hurst has now reverted to type, he's too bothered about the opposition and how we can nullify their threat rather than playing our game and letting the opposition worry about us.
As poojah says, due to the start we made Hurst has credit in the bank but at this rate he'll soon be into the overdraft, I for one want to see him turn it round and get us back to the early season form but I've serious doubts he has the ability to do it ..
Posted by: chaos33, December 4, 2021, 10:19pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from Humbercod

Get brexit done.

Yeah, your opinion is worth about 2p.
Posted by: promotion plaice, December 4, 2021, 10:23pm; Reply: 81

Let's all chill out, it's a long term project and it usually takes time to get out of this league.

We're still in a play-off spot, the mighty Southend would love to be in our position.

Hurst aint going anywhere anytime soon and rightly so.

Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 4, 2021, 10:26pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from promotion plaice

Let's all chill out, it's a long term project and it usually takes time to get out of this league.

We're still in a play-off spot, the mighty Southend would love to be in our position.

Six years? No thanks.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, December 4, 2021, 10:28pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
My concert is this. In those first games the players seemed to play with a certain style and aggression and it was a settled side but Hurst has now reverted to type, he's too bothered about the opposition and how we can nullify their threat rather than playing our game and letting the opposition worry about us.
As poojah says, due to the start we made Hurst has credit in the bank but at this rate he'll soon be into the overdraft, I for one want to see him turn it round and get us back to the early season form but I've serious doubts he has the ability to do it ..

I do see your point but I’m struggling to think of any modern manager who doesn’t flex to the opposition. Probably only Klopp or Simeone. Look at the tinkering that Guardiola and Tuchel do. Even Bielsa switches formation if the opponents play two strikers.

I’m a huge fan of Hurst as a person, more so than him as a manager. I don’t know why his teams sometimes get into these ruts.
Posted by: promotion plaice, December 4, 2021, 10:30pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Six years? No thanks.

Not saying we should take six but there's plenty that in hindsight would have taken that, Wrexham spring to mind.

Posted by: Poojah, December 4, 2021, 10:33pm; Reply: 85

Not in the form table though, and I think that’s the major concern. It’s not inconceivable that we are bottom half in the coming weeks given current form and who we face in the near future.

For context, Neil Woods was sacked after a 1-1 draw with Town in 9th. Different regime of course, but plenty of similarities too in terms of circumstances.

I think King’s Lynn at home could be a pivotal game for Hurst personally.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 4, 2021, 10:36pm; Reply: 86
Quoted from denni266

We’re you the fat buffoon offering people out near the end because they were singing “Paul Hurst’s black & white army”?

Total knob would rather spend his time berating other Town fans whilst turning his back on the game.

In fact what the intercourse happened there?

Apologies if it wasn’t you, but what a male private.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 4, 2021, 10:37pm; Reply: 87

Which replacement have you lined up?

Leave him alone. He’s scared of needles you know. Poor lamb.
Posted by: heppy88, December 4, 2021, 10:40pm; Reply: 88

Really don’t understand this point of view. This club have had no success in 20 years. Has already spent over 6 years in the non league. Had 2 relegation into the non league and you have the gall to tell fans to chill out it’s a long term project!! It beggars belief.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 4, 2021, 10:42pm; Reply: 89
Quoted from MuddyWaters

True but look at what a cùnt he was
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 4, 2021, 10:48pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Was?
Posted by: heppy88, December 4, 2021, 10:52pm; Reply: 91

True, but show me how we are now better off without him? Seriously show me the improvement? Is it the toilets in between the lower and findus that leak in the rain? Is it the pint that cots me £1 more than what I paid in Dagenham today? Is it the super deluxe hotdogs that cost nearly a tenner? Is it the 25 minute queue for a coffee at half time only to be told they had no coffee? Is it the shiny transparent barrier in the upper? Is it the six losses out of 7 games in the national league? Is it having a chairman whose main past time seems to be sharing his opinions in the Guardian?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 4, 2021, 11:02pm; Reply: 92
Quoted from heppy88

True, but show me how we are now better off without him? Seriously show me the improvement? Is it the toilets in between the lower and findus that leak in the rain? Is it the pint that cots me £1 more than what I paid in Dagenham today? Is it the super deluxe hotdogs that cost nearly a tenner? Is it the 25 minute queue for a coffee at half time only to be told they had no coffee? Is it the shiny transparent barrier in the upper? Is it the six losses out of 7 games in the national league? Is it having a chairman whose main past time seems to be sharing his opinions in the Guardian?

I’m with you in several ways.

Not enthused by the “I’ll change football “ articles. I want him to concentrate on Grimsby Town first and foremost. Then he can change football, reverse Brexit, whatever.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, December 4, 2021, 11:02pm; Reply: 93
Quoted from heppy88

It’s not Championship Manager (or whatever it’s called now). You can’t just sign Tonton Zola Moukoko for £50.00 and run several teams simultaneously (unless you’re owned by Red Bull, City or Abramobitch) to win the Champions League in 5 years.

It will take a generation to judge the success or failure of Project StockPet. Just as it took a generation to finally agree that you know who was a cünt.
Posted by: Maringer, December 4, 2021, 11:04pm; Reply: 94
Lot's of excitable trolls around tonight, unsurprisingly.
Posted by: davmariner, December 4, 2021, 11:16pm; Reply: 95
Some people don’t seem to get (despite all those years we spent down here) that there are some well established teams, big and small. It’s taken Chesterfield a few years to regroup/rebuild and the same for Notts County (amongst others).

I never ever felt that we would return at the first attempt and it was a big ask for Hurst to get everything right in the summer transfer period (rather than window as we obviously don’t have one).

Let’s keep calm and see where the season takes us. I fear a change of manager after an overhaul in the summer will simply lead to another one, and will set us back years in the quest to get out of this league.
Posted by: MarinerWY, December 4, 2021, 11:32pm; Reply: 96
Quoted from heppy88

Are you taking the urine? Genuinely, whatever happens on the pitch we are so much better off with Stockwood and Petit than Fenty.

You are being selective with your examples. I'd say 3 things which are huge examples of how much things have improved:

1. The communication with fans. Open, on various platforms (Humberside, DN35 podcast, at the games, OS)
2. The apprenticeship/training opportunity in data with a job guarantee for ppl from North East Lincs who complete it. Can anyone imagine Fenty doing that?!
3. The exagerrated 'pricey' (its not, its just better quality) food and drinks at games also come with the Family Fanzone, one of the most innovative and enjoyable additions to BP I can remember
4. We're applying to be a b-corp. Statement of intent to make the club more about community and social good.

Fair enough, get disgruntled with Hurst - I disagree but that's fine. But starting to turn on the new owners?! intercourse me, football fans beggar belief at times.

Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 4, 2021, 11:40pm; Reply: 97
Quoted from MarinerWY

Are you taking the urine? Genuinely, whatever happens on the pitch we are so much better off with Stockwood and Petit than Fenty.

You are being selective with your examples. I'd say 3 things which are huge examples of how much things have improved:

1. The communication with fans. Open, on various platforms (Humberside, DN35 podcast, at the games, OS)
2. The apprenticeship/training opportunity in data with a job guarantee for ppl from North East Lincs who complete it. Can anyone imagine Fenty doing that?!
3. The exagerrated 'pricey' (its not, its just better quality) food and drinks at games also come with the Family Fanzone, one of the most innovative and enjoyable additions to BP I can remember
4. We're applying to be a b-corp. Statement of intent to make the club more about community and social good.

Fair enough, get disgruntled with Hurst - I disagree but that's fine. But starting to turn on the new owners?! intercourse me, football fans beggar belief at times.

Communication with the fans has reduced dramatically in the last few weeks.
The apprentice positions are laudable but not really relevant to football.

Got several vouchers to use in the Fanzone with our season tickets but has been full every time we tried to use them.

B Corp? What’s the point for a non league football club?
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, December 4, 2021, 11:47pm; Reply: 98
Quoted from MarinerWY

Many people on here say they are not football fans. They watch nothing but Town (or possibly England).

That’s fine. I have no problem with that.

Yet, it’s usually the same people who are obsessed with results and attendances. Surely, if your support of GTFC is driven by your love of Grimsby / Cleethorpes, you would back owners who supported regeneration, community spirit and improvements to the region.

Grimsby Town will never rise beyond the Championship (and even that level feels like passing a sapphire in a stool at the moment). It has to be about pride and identity. You have more chance of achieving it off-the-pitch than on it.
Posted by: petethemariner, December 5, 2021, 12:14am; Reply: 99
I think the thing that worries most Town fans in the middle of this current slump is that PH seems to be reverting to type, gone are the relaxed, amiable, positive mindsets he seemed to possess in the early season to the slightly defensive,  neurotic,worry about the opposition,tinkering with team/tactics, we have witnessed before.
I am not saying he cannot turn things around, I hope he can and I think with JS and AP he might well be given more time than he  arguably deserves, but a turnaround needs to come and fast as there seems to be something wrong at the club atm.
Posted by: Mayaman, December 5, 2021, 1:29am; Reply: 100
The players we have have shown they CAN have drive, they CAN work as cohesive unit and they DO have the skill.  So what has happened since the beginning of the season which seems so far away now. A bad run happens even to the best of sides, but D&R have been plummeting down the table and their confidence must have been very low.    Either too many changes of personnel / tactics or constantly being told your not good enough. I don't like it when PH says, " We could have played better", when we have come from behind and won.
Posted by: realist, December 5, 2021, 2:08am; Reply: 101
Hurst is part of the Fenty legacy. If he had brought in a half decent manager we wouldn’t have been relegated in the first place. Hurst appeared to have no interest in fighting relegation but preparing for this season instead. Well, his preparation is really paying off. Get rid of the miserable little sod ASAP.
Posted by: DB, December 5, 2021, 3:27am; Reply: 102

True, I'm not upbeat but I am optimistic we'll be in the mix at the end of the season.18 games gone and 26 to play so it's a long road to the end of April with 78 points up for grabs, and I know we won't get 78 points but we will get a few of them.

Going up? of course we are.

Posted by: denni266, December 5, 2021, 4:16am; Reply: 103

We’re you the fat buffoon offering people out near the end because they were singing “Paul Hurst’s black & white army”?

Total knob would rather spend his time berating other Town fans whilst turning his back on the game.

In fact what the intercourse happened there?

Apologies if it wasn’t you, but what a male private.

Nope it was not me . sorry.. i was sat at home having a meltdown on here..    And  i do not fight over football  too freekin old at 70
Posted by: aldi_01, December 5, 2021, 7:41am; Reply: 104
If only people that shouted Hurst out so vociferously had arsed themselves to do the same about Fenty over the last 17 years…

That fat buffoon was a flipping embarrassment…calling intercourse but then embarrassing himself trying to get over the fence when we scored but then offering out fans who had a different opinion to his moronic self…

Have to say town fans, some, were flipping embarrassing yesterday…more so than the display from the players…
Posted by: dicko995, December 5, 2021, 8:11am; Reply: 105
I reckon Hurst should change his tactics, 501 instead of around the board in doubles, oh wait, Runaway took the darts with him :)
Posted by: quebec38, December 5, 2021, 8:17am; Reply: 106
Happy clappers is right up there for being as toe curling-ly awful as the phrase tinpot.

I don’t know whether Hurst is gonna prove to be the right man long term, but if a manager got sacked every time they went on a similar run to us right now then teams would get through a manager or two every year.

None of us like seeing Grimsby lose games but some of you lot are embarrassing. IF we turn it around and win the next 5 games you’ll only claim Hurst has somehow miraculously learnt from his mistakes and be right behind him again, when in reality nothing will have changed we’ll have just have gone on a decent run again. That’s football.

Have a sulk and have a moan but why some of you think sacking the manager every 2 minutes is the answer I have no idea.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 5, 2021, 8:45am; Reply: 107
Quoted from quebec38
Happy clappers is right up there for being as toe cringingly awful as the phrase tinpot.

I don’t know whether Hurst is gonna prove to be the right man long term, but if a manager got sacked every time they went on a similar run to us right now then teams would get through a manager or two every year.

None of us like seeing Grimsby lose games but some of you lot are embarrassing. IF we turn it around and win the next 5 games you’ll only claim Hurst has somehow miraculously learnt from his mistakes and be right behind him again, when in reality nothing will have changed we’ll have just have gone on a decent run again. That’s football.

Have a sulk and have a moan but why some of you think sacking the manager every 2 minutes is the answer I have no idea.

He’s been here nearly 12 months, overseen a relegation (remember, we weren’t in the drop zone when he took over) and we’ve now lost 6 out of 7.

Isn’t it realistic to expect fans to be ever so slightly concerned? I don’t see mass hysteria just a genuine concern that the direction of travel is very firmly going the wrong way..
Posted by: Ipswin, December 5, 2021, 8:57am; Reply: 108
Quoted from Vance Warner

Jolley and Groves in the short term to keep us up but it’s hard to argue either improved us beyond that.

At least Jolley kept us up Hurst didn't

Posted by: Ipswin, December 5, 2021, 9:00am; Reply: 109

the mighty Southend would love to be in our position.

On our current form they might well be by May
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, December 5, 2021, 9:00am; Reply: 110
Quoted from Ipswin

And he beat chesterfield at home 😂
Posted by: Ipswin, December 5, 2021, 9:08am; Reply: 111
Quoted from MarinerWY

An impressive list of non on-field football successes. How many points are awarded for the 'achievements' you have listed and how many of them will be 'enjoyable' in January when we are mid table and its pissing down with rain?
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, December 5, 2021, 9:35am; Reply: 112
Quoted from Ipswin

An impressive list of non on-field football successes. How many points are awarded for the 'achievements' you have listed and how many of them will be 'enjoyable' in January when we are mid table and its pissing down with rain?

How many clubs became successful by not sorting the off field situation out first?...
Honestly, you do make me laugh sometimes, our club was in terminal decline, it's facilities falling apart with zero investment yet now we are having investment and a complete change of philosophy you still can't see that on field success will eventually follow.
Posted by: heppy88, December 5, 2021, 9:38am; Reply: 113

How many clubs became successful by not sorting the off field situation out first?...
Honestly, you do make me laugh sometimes, our club was in terminal decline, it's facilities falling apart with zero investment yet now we are having investment and a complete change of philosophy you still can't see that on field success will eventually follow.

Our club is STILL in terminal decline!
Posted by: chaos33, December 5, 2021, 9:43am; Reply: 114
Quoted from Ipswin

You wanted Jolley sacked too.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 5, 2021, 9:44am; Reply: 115
Quoted from heppy88

Because it’s been fûcked over for years by Fenty and us still in debt to him. Look where those transfer fees went.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 5, 2021, 9:45am; Reply: 116
Quoted from chaos33

He wants everyone sacked.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, December 5, 2021, 9:46am; Reply: 117
Quoted from heppy88

Give over will you, I think some people on here have totally unrealistic expectations, the club was a basket case when they took it over, you can't just click your  fingers and sort that out in a few months.

If it was that easy there wouldn't be half a division full of established football  league clubs sat in the conference with us.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 5, 2021, 9:52am; Reply: 118

What investment are we having by the way? There was a decent amount of money in the bank when 1878 took over and the gate receipts must be way over budget.
Posted by: chaos33, December 5, 2021, 9:56am; Reply: 119
I’m starting to wonder if it’s even worth challenging some of these posts and posters. As long as I can remember there have been the same half dozen or so contributors who overreact, and spout the usual alarmist, entitled, miserable cobblers and seem most visible and only too keen to do so when things aren’t going well.  I reckon everyone is concerned, disappointed, angry even, and that’s as it should be isn’t it, but I think some sort of balanced, critical discourse is becoming hard to locate in many threads on here.
Posted by: heppy88, December 5, 2021, 9:58am; Reply: 120
Quoted from MarinerWY

No MarinerWY I’m not taking the urine.
I’m seeing a big disconnect between the aims of Stockwood and Petit and the reality on the ground. Yesterday I was able to take a leak in spacious, clean warm toilets. I couldn’t understand why a pint in a London football club is cheaper than a pint in one of the most deprived areas in the country. I didn’t need a second mortgage to buy a coffee and a pie and queued for less than 5 minutes.

I saw Stockwood and Debbie on a few occasions when we were winning games, but not over the last few weeks. Correct me if I’m wrong but the fanszone was already in the plans before the new owners arrived and was not funded by them. BCorp, how can a club that really has prehistoric facilities and overcharges in one of the most deprived wards in the country ever deserve to be given BCorp, unless the Chairman of said club is on the board of BCorp?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 5, 2021, 10:02am; Reply: 121
Quoted from MuddyWaters

What investment are we having by the way? There was a decent amount of money in the bank when 1878 took over and the gate receipts must be way over budget.

How much? Have you been privy to the accounts for the year ending 31/5/21which haven’t been published yet?
Posted by: aldi_01, December 5, 2021, 10:05am; Reply: 122
Always makes me chuckle when people assume investment means cash…
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, December 5, 2021, 10:08am; Reply: 123

How much? Have you been privy to the accounts for the year ending 31/5/21which haven’t been published yet?

I think JS stated  on the radio Kingston that the previous board had managed the finances well, however I really don't think it a positive to have had largeish sums of money in the bank when we were getting flushed down the non league toilet last season.
Posted by: ginnywings, December 5, 2021, 10:11am; Reply: 124
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I've seen first hand the work that is going on at the ground and off site at Cheapside and also the work that desperately needs doing. Years and years of neglect are coming home to roost and it's going to be a very expensive fix. Then there is the investment in a new training ground.

Yes, investment in the team is important, but they need somewhere to train and a ground to play in.

Didn't take long for people to start dissing the new owners.

Posted by: Northbank Mariner, December 5, 2021, 10:22am; Reply: 125
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Bit of a soft question really that now isn't it?...
Training ground- upgraded with new equipment, pitch and staff.
BP- upgraded, pitch sorted.
Staff - kitman, chefs, groundsman, masseurs, analysts.
So that little lot will have emptied whatever was left in the kitty by honest John and will have needed the new board to put their hands in their pockets and top funds up, which they duly have
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 5, 2021, 10:22am; Reply: 126

No I haven't. I just remember what was said by JS when they took over.
Posted by: ginnywings, December 5, 2021, 10:26am; Reply: 127
Isn't the money left in the club owed to JF anyway? All the money he 'invested', he's getting back, so not really investment is it?

He even claimed he is till investing in the club when he last appeared on here a few weeks back.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 5, 2021, 10:26am; Reply: 128

Bit of a soft question really that now isn't it?...
Training ground- upgraded with new equipment, pitch and staff.
BP- upgraded, pitch sorted.
Staff - kitman, chefs, groundsman, masseurs, analysts.
So that little lot will have emptied whatever was left in the kitty by honest John and will have needed the new board to put their hands in their pockets and top funds up, which they duly have

Fair enough - I'm sure you've got the numbers worked out for the increased gate receipts too so I'll take you at your word.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 5, 2021, 10:39am; Reply: 129
Quoted from MuddyWaters

JS said that there was money in the bank but that money sounded like it was working capitol rather than capex. The new owners may not have gone out and spunked £250K on a new player and committed to paying said player an unsustainable salary but they are responsible for some positive change in a club that has been held back by negativity for years. Money is available for a new striker that's been said by JS on many occasions it's just that we haven't been able to attract one.

Improved pitch, Cheapside upgraded, expanded back room staff new training ground project on the cards is all backing the manager. As far as BP is concerned you can't polish a turd but I do agree a lick of paints in the toilets and the tea bar in the lower actually being able to serve basic tea and coffee (they had no milk a couple of weeks ago) would make  a bit of a difference.    

So why am I talking about the owners on a thread about the manager? Simple, they stand for long term sustainable change which though unpopular with many posters on here is what the club needs rather than people coming in and throwing money at it and their values and strategy won't lead to any managerial change for a good while yet.

That said fail to get into the play offs and yes I think the question should be seriously considered, not because we're the mighty Grimsby Town but because as there is one automatic place then a play off spot is an attainable objective, the worry is that these are 9 clubs including us who are pushing for 7 places.

Why would we swap the manager now?  The likelihood of a new manager coming in and us then winning the league with this set of players is in theory possible but anyone who has a realistic bone in their body knows it's not going to happen. So new manager comes in gets us into the play off's, if Hurst gets us there isn't that the same thing?

Personally Hurst like every manager looks like he's made some mistakes in set up and selection but also I think we've lost sight of the fact he's asked some players to do a job and quite simply a number of them haven't done this at crucial points in games and we've paid the price.  
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, December 5, 2021, 10:40am; Reply: 130
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Fair enough - I'm sure you've got the numbers worked out for the increased gate receipts too so I'll take you at your word.

The new income coming in from increased gates may well lead to a spending spree in January, wouldn't hold your breath though as that leach will want as much of that as he can his grubby hands on to get his money back ASAP.
Posted by: Ipswin, December 5, 2021, 10:46am; Reply: 131
Quoted from chaos33

No, I didn't, I simply totally disagreed with his appointment and didn't want him in the first place. It was clearly a ridiculous decision clearly based on money (as was that when Holloway was given the job) and I said so at the time while many were making stupid claims for Jolley based on some ridiculous tactics video. (Similarly I was one of a very few who disagreed with the stupid outpourings of many which signalled Holloway's appointment )

That said whether I was for him or not Jolley with his total lack of managerial experience kept us up, Hurst didn't but he sure as intercourse is going to keep us down..

Posted by: chaos33, December 5, 2021, 10:48am; Reply: 132
Quoted from Ipswin

No, I didn't, I simply totally disagreed with his appointment and didn't want him in the first place. It was clearly a ridiculous decision clearly based on money (as was that when Holloway was given the job) and I said so at the time while many were making stupid claims for Jolley based on some ridiculous tactics video. (Similarly I was one of a very few who disagreed with the stupid outpourings of many which signalled Holloway's appointment )

That said whether I was for him or not Jolley with his total lack of managerial experience kept us up, Hurst didn't but he sure as intercourse is going to keep us down..

Sure.
Posted by: Ipswin, December 5, 2021, 10:50am; Reply: 133

Can you please be a little more specific on the time line element of when the fanzone and catering will get us back into the Football League? Just for the benefit of many on here who are like me old farts who find 'eventually' as possibly a bit too far ahead for us

Posted by: dapperz fun pub, December 5, 2021, 10:55am; Reply: 134
Quoted from HertsGTFC

JS said that there was money in the bank but that money sounded like it was working capitol rather than capex. The new owners may not have gone out and spunked £250K on a new player and committed to paying said player an unsustainable salary but they are responsible for some positive change in a club that has been held back by negativity for years. Money is available for a new striker that's been said by JS on many occasions it's just that we haven't been able to attract one.

Improved pitch, Cheapside upgraded, expanded back room staff new training ground project on the cards is all backing the manager. As far as BP is concerned you can't polish a turd but I do agree a lick of paints in the toilets and the tea bar in the lower actually being able to serve basic tea and coffee (they had no milk a couple of weeks ago) would make  a bit of a difference.    

So why am I talking about the owners on a thread about the manager? Simple, they stand for long term sustainable change which though unpopular with many posters on here is what the club needs rather than people coming in and throwing money at it and their values and strategy won't lead to any managerial change for a good while yet.

That said fail to get into the play offs and yes I think the question should be seriously considered, not because we're the mighty Grimsby Town but because as there is one automatic place then a play off spot is an attainable objective, the worry is that these are 9 clubs including us who are pushing for 7 places.          

Change and a different ethos is great and I’m all for it but football is a results business plain and simple and in this league we’re a giant or should be. Hurst had half a season to save us he failed miserably in the end. I remember a interview on humberside with peter Swann who mentioned hurst he said he promised this and that and delivered nothing .. I don’t know the who should replace him but what I do know is we will be in this league next year with him in charge imo
Posted by: HerveJosse, December 5, 2021, 10:56am; Reply: 135
Quoted from MarinerWY

Whatever happens on the pitch we are so much better off!!!!
That says it all doesn’t it.
We are a football club what happens on the pitch is 90percent of what matters
Posted by: HerveJosse, December 5, 2021, 11:01am; Reply: 136

£800k
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 5, 2021, 11:01am; Reply: 137

Change and a different ethos is great and I’m all for it but football is a results business plain and simple and in this league we’re a giant or should be. Hurst had half a season to save us he failed miserably in the end. I remember a interview on humberside with peter Swann who mentioned hurst he said he promised this and that and delivered nothing .. I don’t know the who should replace him but what I do know is we will be in this league next year with him in charge imo

I'm not being a male private (unusually for me) when I ask this but what was your expectations this season?

I know it's the managers job to motivate the players but if I have my maths right a win yesterday and a win on Saturday would have seen us with a chance to go back to joint top of the league, if that doesn't motivate players than maybe they need to look at themsleves.  
Posted by: realist, December 5, 2021, 11:02am; Reply: 138
I find it interesting that Hurst can get us relegated, and then turn an attacking hard working team into a bunch of losers.i find it even more interesting that the same people defend him. This is why we have a shite team in a shite league. Aim low, achieve low.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, December 5, 2021, 11:03am; Reply: 139
Quoted from Ipswin

Can you please be a little more specific on the time line element of when the fanzone and catering will get us back into the Football League? Just for the benefit of many on here who are like me old farts who find 'eventually' as possibly a bit too far ahead for us

Unfortunately it ain't gonna be an overnight success, you know that and so do the majority of us.
Don't forget you're also in that luck bracket of seeing town being successful, how do you think some of the younger fans feel, all they've known is 20 years of excrement!..At least now there's a chance they'll see some success, that was never going to happen under the previous incumbents!!
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, December 5, 2021, 11:10am; Reply: 140
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I'm not being a male private (unusually for me) when I ask this but what was your expectations this season?

I know it's the managers job to motivate the players but if I have my maths right a win yesterday and a win on Saturday would have seen us with a chance to go back to joint top of the league, if that doesn't motivate players than maybe they need to look at themsleves.  

To have a competitive team with a playing style … we’re rolling over easily and appear to have no playing style plan. My expectation was top 7 minimum we get 6 k gates in level 5 surely that’s a fair ask ?
Posted by: Ipswin, December 5, 2021, 11:14am; Reply: 141
A classic comment which appeared on a colleagues annual report (not mine I hasten to add) could well be applied to Hurst 'Performs well in moderate company'

Trouble is I want GTFC to be better than 'moderate'

We ain't going up or down under Hurst (he did the latter last year) .

Much will be promised, high-spots will occur, fans will go over the top with their expectations every time we get within touching distance of the top but the manager will always revert to type, making changes and trying to make tactics fit the opposition at the expense of altering what was going well and be stubborn when faced with the fact that it isn't working and substitutions can be made at any time. Same old same old. Lose in the early rounds of the playoffs anyone?
Posted by: pen penfras, December 5, 2021, 11:15am; Reply: 142
Quoted from MarinerWY

1. Fenty tried to communicate with the fans, more so at first. He didn't have as many means to do so and wasn't good at it, but the intention was the same, at least before it turned.
2. That's great, but not a lot to do with the football club in reality. I think we used to have some IT hub about 15 years ago for developing skills that was barely used.
3. Food is better. Fanzone is nothing to do with the new owners.
4. B-corp is a load of bollox. Even more so when you're offering minimum wage jobs and forcing employees out.

They've done what people on here wanted. Invested money in the infrastructure and it's no surprise that that isn't bringing any success on the field. I think the bright start and claims of "treat the players with respect and they perform for you" type comments got people carried away that new owners and better PR actually makes a real difference. The only thing that talks in short term is money and they're not going to be putting that in. So if things are to change, then people need to keep showing up in numbers and supporting the team so that there's actually some money available to spend on all the things that need doing as well as a decent team.
Posted by: Ipswin, December 5, 2021, 11:20am; Reply: 143

Don't forget you're also in that luck bracket of seeing town being successful, how do you think some of the younger fans feel, all they've known is 20 years of excrement!..

I think having had the pleasure of seeing Lawie Mac, George Kerr, Dave Booth and having the 4-0 Sheff U championship winning match as the last I saw on my season ticket before I moved away makes the current debacle all the worse. The young 'ums haven't had to suffer such a terrible demise!  ;D

Posted by: TownSNAFU5, December 5, 2021, 11:21am; Reply: 144
I thought that JS said in one interview, very early on, that Hurst would be the manager in the long-term.  Timescale never defined but beyond the end of this season would be a reasonable assessment.

Owners can change their minds though.  I suspect that we won’t though.  We will just buggger on.
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, December 5, 2021, 11:22am; Reply: 145
I’m astounded to hear people discussing this rubbish.

You sack managers when you are at the bottom of the league’s, staring relegation in the face. Not when you have enjoyed an explosive start to the season following a relegation, then had a subsequent poor run, but see still very much in the pack of serious promotion contenders. With an interesting January transfer window just around the corner, with the backing of owners, and a manager that has a good record in the transfer market

Seriously people, come on. Give your heads a wobble and realise we are not in a bad place and that we have to support our manager
Posted by: Poojah, December 5, 2021, 11:25am; Reply: 146
Quoted from Ipswin

I’ll be honest, I wasn’t hugely concerned by the prospect of not going straight up this season. We are where we are, largely through the ineptitude of a regime no longer at the club (though importantly, still drawing from it), and like it or not there are at least four clubs with bigger budgets than ourselves, plus several others who went into pre-season with far more established squads.

I never saw this season as promotion or out for Hurst, but this current run of form has to be deeply, deeply concerning. There’s certainly an argument to be made that these last 7 games is the worst patch of form in the club’s history, and that’s going some. Let’s just re-cap for a moment.

- Wealdstone - in the relegation zone, out of form and hampered by injuries to key players
- Notts County - perhaps unlucky, but ultimately failed to score
Kidderminster - National League North
Aldershot - second from bottom and bottom of the form guide having been spanked 5-0 by Wrexham just days before
- Solihull - barely in the game for all but 10 minutes
- Dagenham - horribly out of form and absolutely decimated by injuries

With the exception of Notts County, you could tag any one of those results as ‘unacceptable’ for a club of Town’s stature, but to string six of them together in a little over a month is frankly astonishing and something I didn’t see happening in even my worst nightmares this season.

It’s difficult to see us winning any of our next four, or even taking anything at all, so the prospect of this horrendous run of form getting even worse and then some is staring us right in the face.

I just find it incomprehensible that we have gone from such a brilliant side at the start of the season to looking utterly bereft of confidence and ideas to the point you just cannot see where the next win is coming from.

The idea has been mooted on here that perhaps something has gone on behind the scenes, and the more bleak things get the more realistic this scenario sounds in my head. This is no more than putting 2 and 2 together and maybe getting 5, but our slide correlates almost perfectly with Stockport sacking Rusk. Did Hurst entertain that role?

I don’t know, I honestly don’t. But something is seriously wrong and whilst I don’t condone people getting aggressive or abusive, I can certainly understand where the anger and frustration is coming from.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 5, 2021, 11:28am; Reply: 147

To have a competitive team with a playing style … we’re rolling over easily and appear to have no playing style plan. My expectation was top 7 minimum we get 6 k gates in level 5 surely that’s a fair ask ?

Get it completely and don’t disagree. Surely some of that sits at the door of the players doesn’t it?
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, December 5, 2021, 11:30am; Reply: 148
I’m still waiting for someone to come up with a credible alternative to Paul Hurst.

If the ‘Hurst Out’ brigade are pinning their hopes on Neil Warnock (!) replacing Hurst then they are going to be very, very disappointed.

If sacking Hurst this month and bringing in another person to build in the January transfer window to get us promoted, then fine, go for it.

However, I strongly suspect that any new manager won’t get us promoted automatically and odds against via the playoffs. So the same people will be on here in April / May / November calling for another manager to be sacked and the cycle just continues with no long-term stability.

I’ll await a sensible suggestion for a replacement.
Posted by: Poojah, December 5, 2021, 11:33am; Reply: 149

You sack managers when you are at the bottom of the league’s, staring relegation in the face. Not when you have enjoyed an explosive start to the season following a relegation, then had a subsequent poor run, but see still very much in the pack of serious promotion contenders. With an interesting January transfer window just around the corner, with the backing of owners, and a manager that has a good record in the transfer market

Seriously people, come on. Give your heads a wobble and realise we are not in a bad place and that we have to support our manager

I wouldn’t agree with sacking Hurst right now, but our next four games are against Chesterfield, Stockport, Boreham Wood and Halifax. We could conceivably lose all of them, which would leave us with a record of ten defeats in eleven games.

I’m not sure there are many managers anywhere in the world that could sustain that kind of run and retain their job. Even less so when your managing a club at a level well below its natural fighting weight.

It’s not time to panic yet, but it soon will be.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 5, 2021, 11:33am; Reply: 150
Quoted from Poojah

I’ll be honest, I wasn’t hugely concerned by the prospect of not going straight up this season. We are where we are, largely through the ineptitude of a regime no longer at the club (though importantly, still drawing from it), and like it or not there are at least four clubs with bigger budgets than ourselves, plus several others who went into pre-season with far more established squads.

I never saw this season as promotion or out for Hurst, but this current run of form has to be deeply, deeply concerning. There’s certainly an argument to be made that these last 7 games is the worst patch of form in the club’s history, and that’s going some. Let’s just re-cap for a moment.

- Wealdstone - in the relegation zone, out of form and hampered by injuries to key players
- Notts County - perhaps unlucky, but ultimately failed to score
Kidderminster - National League North
Aldershot - second from bottom and bottom of the form guide having been spanked 5-0 by Wrexham just days before
- Solihull - barely in the game for all but 10 minutes
- Dagenham - horribly out of form and absolutely decimated by injuries

With the exception of Notts County, you could tag any one of those results as ‘unacceptable’ for a club of Town’s stature, but to string six of them together in a little over a month is frankly astonishing and something I didn’t see happening in even my worst nightmares this season.

It’s difficult to see us winning any of our next four, or even taking anything at all, so the prospect of this horrendous run of form getting even worse and then some is staring us right in the face.

I just find it incomprehensible that we have gone from such a brilliant side at the start of the season to looking utterly bereft of confidence and ideas to the point you just cannot see where the next win is coming from.

The idea has been mooted on here that perhaps something has gone on behind the scenes, and the more bleak things get the more realistic this scenario sounds in my head. This is no more than putting 2 and 2 together and maybe getting 5, but our slide correlates almost perfectly with Stockport sacking Rusk. Did Hurst entertain that role?

I don’t know, I honestly don’t. But something is seriously wrong and whilst I don’t condone people getting aggressive or abusive, I can certainly understand where the anger and frustration is coming from.

As usual, cogent stuff Poojah which pretty much sums up where I am on this.

One or two are putting a few rumours around about events that may have contributed and the previous levels of transparency promised by the owners appear to be evaporating. For sure, the feelgood factor has gone and, whilst the doom laden days of Fenty are too, there's an undercurrent of something being amiss. Don't like it at all.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, December 5, 2021, 11:35am; Reply: 151
[quote=120845]

Get it completely and don’t disagree. Surely some of that sits at the door of the players doesn’t it? [/quote

Some of it does sit with the players for sure , I’ve heard some of players lord it round meggies like their big time. Not saying they can’t go out but it appears attitude in some cases seems questionable. Ultimately though this is hursts team and the buck stops with him
Posted by: pen penfras, December 5, 2021, 11:35am; Reply: 152

You sack players when the club is underperforming. I can't see how the last 7 games can be described as anything but that. I don't think it's quite time just yet, but something is seriously wrong and not finishing in the playoffs, which looks a serious possibility, would absolutely be a failure for this season.
Posted by: Hagrid, December 5, 2021, 11:48am; Reply: 153
Well i said a few weeks back its all well and good Being B Corp, having nice Scotch Eggs…

Results keep the fanbase happy, results get bums on seats. We look a million miles away
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 5, 2021, 11:50am; Reply: 154
Quoted from pen penfras

You sack players when the club is underperforming. I can't see how the last 7 games can be described as anything but that. I don't think it's quite time just yet, but something is seriously wrong and not finishing in the playoffs, which looks a serious possibility, would absolutely be a failure for this season.

You sack players? Really!
Posted by: Ipswin, December 5, 2021, 11:52am; Reply: 155
Quoted from Hagrid
Well i said a few weeks back its all well and good Being B Corp, having nice Scotch Eggs…

Results keep the fanbase happy, results get bums on seats.

Well said that man, I said it weeks ago too and got pelters for it

Winning matches is all that matters and is all that will keep folk going to Blundell Park. The fanzone, good PR, computerised tickets, nice scotch eggs, keeping the fans 'in the loop' et al won't do it.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, December 5, 2021, 11:56am; Reply: 156
Only yesterday Lincoln fans fighting each other and they have a lovely fan zone 😎
Posted by: pen penfras, December 5, 2021, 11:59am; Reply: 157
Quoted from MuddyWaters

You sack players? Really!

We both know I meant managers
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 5, 2021, 12:05pm; Reply: 158
Quoted from Ipswin

Well said that man, I said it weeks ago too and got pelters for it

Winning matches is all that matters and is all that will keep folk going to Blundell Park. The fanzone, good PR, computerised tickets, nice scotch eggs, keeping the fans 'in the loop' et al won't do it.

Exactly. Winning matches is the single most important thing. Even under the previous regime, attendances went up when results were good.

I can't honestly say that B Corp, scotch eggs and a fanzone gets me very excited - we are still Grimsby Town and we still have a shithole for a ground at the end of the day. Improvements on the pitch are far more important than those off it - we look destined for a long stay in this league if we're not careful - though I'm happy to be proved wrong.
Posted by: MarinerWY, December 5, 2021, 12:10pm; Reply: 159
Quoted from Ipswin

Obviously no points are awarded in the league for those achievements. However to me they will make a difference even if we are mid-table.

They will make a difference wherever we are in the league, because at the very least even if stuff isn't going well on the pitch, I'll know that the club is doing good things as a community asset and is run by people determined for the club to have a positive impact on the local community.

Of course, doing well on the pitch is hugely important and I'd obviously want both on and off the pitch going brilliantly. But I'd much rather we were mid-table with the current owners, investing in the long-term future of the club and the community, than mid-table with John Fenty at the helm.
Posted by: MarinerWY, December 5, 2021, 12:13pm; Reply: 160
Quoted from Ipswin

The two things aren't mutually exclusive.
Posted by: Zmariner, December 5, 2021, 12:23pm; Reply: 161
Quoted from Poojah

I wouldn’t agree with sacking Hurst right now, but our next four games are against Chesterfield, Stockport, Boreham Wood and Halifax. We could conceivably lose all of them, which would leave us with a record of ten defeats in eleven games.

I’m not sure there are many managers anywhere in the world that could sustain that kind of run and retain their job. Even less so when your managing a club at a level well below its natural fighting weight.

It’s not time to panic yet, but it soon will be.

This is a about what I was going to post , if the next 4 are a disaster ( for me this is not one win) then added to the abysmal show last season it will be difficult to see how Hurst can stay.
We can say - good guy, professional, respected but his only real measure is results. He must keep the home form together to survive given we are gutless on the road. Very sorry for the hard core away support as well who have suffered this string of embarassing results.
Personally, I think he has it in him to sort this and I would love to see this but the current run does warrant scrutiny and it is fair to question his methods. Not a personal attack on Hurst from me I want him to succeed desparately but when you listen to games ( I go to very few away games) and expect to lose at this level something is very wrong in the camp.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 5, 2021, 4:06pm; Reply: 162
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

I think JS stated  on the radio Kingston that the previous board had managed the finances well, however I really don't think it a positive to have had largeish sums of money in the bank when we were getting flushed down the non league toilet last season.

He did, but no numbers were mentioned. And apart from the point you made, ‘cash in the bank’ on its own is also pretty meaningless if you owe all of that and more to creditors. We simply don’t know the facts and don’t have all the context for the sort of claim made.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 5, 2021, 4:13pm; Reply: 163
Quoted from HerveJosse

£800k

What’s your source Herve?

Also while you’re at it, can you outline what our other current assets and liabilities were? You just do we can see the context of that healthy cash balance.
Posted by: Yoda, December 5, 2021, 4:17pm; Reply: 164
I think PH has two games if he loses both he has to go or if we lose touch of the playoffs he has to go.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 5, 2021, 4:20pm; Reply: 165
Quoted from heppy88

No MarinerWY I’m not taking the urine.
I’m seeing a big disconnect between the aims of Stockwood and Petit and the reality on the ground. Yesterday I was able to take a leak in spacious, clean warm toilets. I couldn’t understand why a pint in a London football club is cheaper than a pint in one of the most deprived areas in the country. I didn’t need a second mortgage to buy a coffee and a pie and queued for less than 5 minutes.

I saw Stockwood and Debbie on a few occasions when we were winning games, but not over the last few weeks. Correct me if I’m wrong but the fanszone was already in the plans before the new owners arrived and was not funded by them. BCorp, how can a club that really has prehistoric facilities and overcharges in one of the most deprived wards in the country ever deserve to be given BCorp, unless the Chairman of said club is on the board of BCorp?

Maybe you didn’t have to queue long because relatively speaking there was hardly anybody there yesterday.

What beer were they serving at Dagenham? How does it compare as a product to that in the fanzine at BP? All a matter of opinion of course, but maybe the fact there are big queues for good and drink at BP says the customers are happy.
Posted by: Davec, December 5, 2021, 5:09pm; Reply: 166

Maybe you didn’t have to queue long because relatively speaking there was hardly anybody there yesterday.

What beer were they serving at Dagenham? How does it compare as a product to that in the fanzine at BP? All a matter of opinion of course, but maybe the fact there are big queues for good and drink at BP says the customers are happy.

The choice of alcohol yesterday was just Carling Beer and Carling Cider, and that's it I think, I had the Carling cider for the first time and I actually liked it. No way was I touching the Beer Carling offer!

Posted by: devs, December 5, 2021, 5:17pm; Reply: 167
Hurst must be given January window
That means an upturn (if needed) by mid Feb
He inherited a shite squad -  could only do limited tinkering; got rid of dead wood
Several new additions in the summer - we got off to a flyer which in hindsight was a 'bounce' from feel good factor?
But still a big turnaround to bring some stability
He now needs this upcoming window and next couple of months to bring 3-4 new faces in ; better quality usually available in January (players at higher level will know they aren't going to feature for their club so one with best attitudes will want to come to GTFC)

If we are 9th/10th or mid-table by beginning March and perhaps 6-8pts off play offs then I couldn't complain if PH went
Posted by: aldi_01, December 5, 2021, 5:43pm; Reply: 168
To be fair, aside from town being shocking, away days are usually good fun still but yesterday reminded me of those games at Halifax or the year we went down…some of our fans were flipping embarrassing…
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, December 5, 2021, 7:08pm; Reply: 169
Quoted from aldi_01
To be fair, aside from town being shocking, away days are usually good fun still but yesterday reminded me of those games at Halifax or the year we went down…some of our fans were flipping embarrassing…

I’d agree we don’t need in fighting between each other but after twenty years of total excrement , some just can’t keep their emotions together.  Lincoln had fans scuffling with each other yesterday and they’ve just gone through the best period probably in their history. This club our club is desperate for success and I know we’re building for the future but Me like others are living in the now … I want a competitive team challenging these performances suggest we’re going one way and rapidly
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 5, 2021, 7:14pm; Reply: 170
Quoted from aldi_01

To be fair it was just the fat lad at the front and a couple of others.
Posted by: heppy88, December 5, 2021, 7:18pm; Reply: 171
Quoted from Davec

The choice of alcohol yesterday was just Carling Beer and Carling Cider, and that's it I think, I had the Carling cider for the first time and I actually liked it. No way was I touching the Beer Carling offer!

Also Worthingtons which we had. Yes it’s not the locally produced docks beers costing a fiver a pint but at £1.50 a pint cheaper in the daggers ground you didn’t get the feeling we were being ripped off. I can’t complain at all about their facilities. Whenever I visit these grounds I’m reminded how far our club is slipping behind. It frustrates me when Stockwood bleats on about B Corp when we can’t even get the basics right ( such as a clean dry toilet fit for human beings). To be honest if we are the first football club to be awarded B Corp as things currently stand it will make a mockery of the whole scheme and devalue it for the companies that have worked hard to get it. Just get the basics right!
Posted by: Hagrid, December 5, 2021, 7:28pm; Reply: 172
Quoted from heppy88

Also Worthingtons which we had. Yes it’s not the locally produced docks beers costing a fiver a pint but at £1.50 a pint cheaper in the daggers ground you didn’t get the feeling we were being ripped off. I can’t complain at all about their facilities. Whenever I visit these grounds I’m reminded how far our club is slipping behind. It frustrates me when Stockwood bleats on about B Corp when we can’t even get the basics right ( such as a clean dry toilet fit for human beings). To be honest if we are the first football club to be awarded B Corp as things currently stand it will make a mockery of the whole scheme and devalue it for the companies that have worked hard to get it. Just get the basics right!

Well we’ve got an upper stand where if ever an emergency happened, the bloody lot of us would be copulated.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 5, 2021, 7:28pm; Reply: 173
You clearly haven’t understood what the B Corps initiative is about Heppy.

Anyway the bog I went to in the ground yesterday looked like it was laid down in the Stone Age. No complaints about the stand we were sat in. But you can’t blame 1878 for the state of the bogs at BP. They’ve been like that for yonks 1878 have only been in charge for months and it’s difficult to see what you can do within the constraints of the ground.

Worthingtons and Carling should be flipping cheaper. Like fizzy water only with a worse taste than fizzy water. Really that whole give them shite cheap products is very Fentyesque “never mind the quality feel the width”. It’d be good to be able to replicate the Wetherspoons model with a range of interesting, cheap beers but the economics of a football club just don’t allow that.
Posted by: ginnywings, December 5, 2021, 7:33pm; Reply: 174
Quoted from heppy88

The new board inherited the ground and it's facilities. There are many more pressing concerns at the moment than the toilets. The ground is in a dangerous state in many areas and I think these will obviously take priority. They can't be expected to change everything at once, short of building a new ground, which isn't happening any time soon.

As for the price of the beer; I don't know what it costs around the rest of the ground, but the prices in the fanzone have nothing to do with the club, although I am in agreement that they are  on the high side in there. I personally don't think the Docks beers offerings are anything special.
Posted by: Chrisblor, December 5, 2021, 7:41pm; Reply: 175
Quoted from heppy88

Dagenham's away stand was built in 2009. The 'newest' stand at Blundell Park is 40 years old. It's very obviously harder and more time consuming to improve old facilities compared to building a stand with all the modern amenities fans expect these days from scratch. The new owners are clearly trying to improve the facilities around the club, but they're not starting from scratch, they're trying to overhaul a load of ancient facilities crammed into spaces which aren't big enough by modern day standards. You need to give them more than half a season before moaning about how far behind we apparently are (and we really aren't - Dagenham is a bog standard non-league away day in a dreary part of London with little going on, and their away bar was just a big cold characterless empty room selling watery pints of Carling. I'd take BP in its current state over that any day).
Posted by: heppy88, December 5, 2021, 7:57pm; Reply: 176
Quoted from ginnywings

The new board inherited the ground and it's facilities. There are many more pressing concerns at the moment than the toilets. The ground is in a dangerous state in many areas and I think these will obviously take priority. They can't be expected to change everything at once, short of building a new ground, which isn't happening any time soon.

As for the price of the beer; I don't know what it costs around the rest of the ground, but the prices in the fanzone have nothing to do with the club, although I am in agreement that they are  on the high side in there. I personally don't think the Docks beers offerings are anything special.

You and Kingston make fair comments.

I agree the Docks beer IMHO isn’t great and that’s what makes it all the gruelling that we’re paying central London prices for the privilege!
I’ve had a right good rant over the last 24 hours because: A) I’m sick of watching the team lose when only a few weeks ago we looked unbeatable.
B) I’m sick of people expecting Hurst to be a successful manager when in truth there is no evidence to suggest he has been or ever will be ( I will happily be proven wrong on this).
C) I’m sick of people being so defensive, defeatist and accepting of the dross we are served up week in, week out, month after month year after year. FFS young people have a right to be angry at a game when they spend there hard earned money following a team that has not given them any success in their lifetimes ( ps I’m in my fifties).

Posted by: aldi_01, December 5, 2021, 8:01pm; Reply: 177
Believe, the price of decent ale in the fanzone isn’t even close to being expensive. I’ve paid far more in Lincoln, Hull, Manchester, Birmingham to name a few places…and for all the people not happy, it’s full every game and taking cash.

The toilet I used was similar to those in the main stand, if we’re talking about the toilets in their new supporters club, which seems to be open at other times or certainly felt that way then you can only compare it to the toilets in mcmenemys, which are as good a quality as anything else in that sort or setting.
Posted by: heppy88, December 5, 2021, 8:02pm; Reply: 178
Quoted from Chrisblor

Dagenham's away stand was built in 2009. The 'newest' stand at Blundell Park is 40 years old. It's very obviously harder and more time consuming to improve old facilities compared to building a stand with all the modern amenities fans expect these days from scratch. The new owners are clearly trying to improve the facilities around the club, but they're not starting from scratch, they're trying to overhaul a load of ancient facilities crammed into spaces which aren't big enough by modern day standards. You need to give them more than half a season before moaning about how far behind we apparently are (and we really aren't - Dagenham is a bog standard non-league away day in a dreary part of London with little going on, and their away bar was just a big cold characterless empty room selling watery pints of Carling. I'd take BP in its current state over that any day).

Fair enough Chris. Like I’ve said in a previous post the patience is wearing thin. For years we were told we would have a new stadium / facilities! Now in my fifties I have lost faith we will ever see a fit for purpose ground in my lifetime.
Posted by: aldi_01, December 5, 2021, 8:04pm; Reply: 179

To be fair it was just the fat lad at the front and a couple of others.

That sharp object is a boring girl private anyway…one of those that talks overly loud to make sure every girl private knows he’s there.

Tubbylardo couldn’t fail to get over the fence quick enough when we scored though…mammary. Was a great example to his lad, who got twatted for being a mouthy girl private, and then he got all mouthy and aggy…

Don’t have any issue with people not liking a manager etc but all the whiny arsed girl privates yesterday couldn’t provide a reasoned argument or alternative, in fact one mammary behind me spent 20 minutes of the first half trying to figure out who the players were…one was flipping waterfall…
Posted by: MarinerWY, December 5, 2021, 8:21pm; Reply: 180
Im a bit unsure of what people want from our owners. I thought the argument was that they should be spending money solely on players, and that spending on a new training ground etc. doesn't get you 3 points. But then we are banging on about the state of the toilets.

So, let me get this straight:
Non footy related expenses:
Training ground = bad
Renovating toilets = good
....?

Or people want JS and AP to put in millions into everything: splash out on players, sort out cheapside, renovate BP (especially toilets) oh and if land becomes identified for a new ground they'd better have a few spare millions to fund that too.

I think people overestimate their wealth tbh. Or, perhaps folk aren't happy unless a rich Saudi buyer comes in with bloody money and pours money into everything. Either way, its pie-in-the-sky. JS and AP have clearly stated that its personal cash they're putting into GTFC and they'll lose money: it's not in benign loans, there is no expectation of making it back. Which is pretty astounding, and tbh if some of the most vocally critical folk on here were as wealthy, I'm not sure they'd suddenly do as they are calling for and pile even more money into the club.
Posted by: aldi_01, December 5, 2021, 9:39pm; Reply: 181
Quoted from MarinerWY
Im a bit unsure of what people want from our owners. I thought the argument was that they should be spending money solely on players, and that spending on a new training ground etc. doesn't get you 3 points. But then we are banging on about the state of the toilets.

So, let me get this straight:
Non footy related expenses:
Training ground = bad
Renovating toilets = good
....?

Or people want JS and AP to put in millions into everything: splash out on players, sort out cheapside, renovate BP (especially toilets) oh and if land becomes identified for a new ground they'd better have a few spare millions to fund that too.

I think people overestimate their wealth tbh. Or, perhaps folk aren't happy unless a rich Saudi buyer comes in with bloody money and pours money into everything. Either way, its pie-in-the-sky. JS and AP have clearly stated that its personal cash they're putting into GTFC and they'll lose money: it's not in benign loans, there is no expectation of making it back. Which is pretty astounding, and tbh if some of the most vocally critical folk on here were as wealthy, I'm not sure they'd suddenly do as they are calling for and pile even more money into the club.

Whilst watching the club fall apart, minimal, of any investment, journey men player after journey men player, dropping out the league, dropping through the leagues, not offering players/managers doling well decent contracts, thousands upon thousands chasing a pipe dream, lies and deceit from the owners, marginalisation of our fans from our own club, driving bans and many more…fans still did little…so you think town fans know what they want?
Posted by: DB, December 5, 2021, 9:54pm; Reply: 182
Quoted from heppy88

Fair enough Chris. Like I’ve said in a previous post the patience is wearing thin. For years we were told we would have a new stadium / facilities! Now in my fifties I have lost faith we will ever see a fit for purpose ground in my lifetime.

It's no good blaming 1878 who have only owned the club for 6 months. Most people want a new ground and better facilities that it brings but the problems the club have has been built up by 17 of the previous regimes total lack of investment in BP.

1878 have said a new ground is not going to happen soon so we have to live with it. As others point out it is hard to improve facilities at a very old stadium and JS & AP are backing Town with their own money. They may be richer than most of us but they don't have bottomless pockets ( unlike the oil brigade ) and won't put the club into debt.

Nobody knows the future cost of maintaining the safety of the stadium which given its age could be costly. 1878 have said they want to build more than a team, they want a fully fledged football club for the town to be proud of and that will take more than 6 months.

We need patience but if you need to vent your frustration on false promises of a new ground please do it to the person who made them, I'm sure you know who.

Posted by: Lincspoacher, December 5, 2021, 10:06pm; Reply: 183
Quoted from denni266

Been away this weekend and so just seen this post.

Muppet.

Hurst has had to rebuild a complete squad from scratch. If u think that the current position of the team is anything other than optimistically expected under any manager, then you know nothing about football.

I never expected anything other than a play off place at best given where we were. Yes it’s frustrating and yes there is lots to do. But cmon, stupid post of the year
Posted by: aldi_01, December 5, 2021, 10:14pm; Reply: 184
Quoted from Lincspoacher

Muppet.

Hurst has had to rebuild a complete squad from scratch. If u think that the current position of the team is anything other than optimistically expected under any manager, then you know nothing about football.

I never expected anything other than a play off place at best given where we were. Yes it’s frustrating and yes there is lots to do. But cmon, stupid post of the year

After being flipping abject for two years, mid table would be an improvement.

It’s like they’ve been waiting for it, like they’ve been nursing semi ons since mid October and mows their chance…weird if you ask me.
Posted by: denni266, December 5, 2021, 11:24pm; Reply: 185
Quoted from Lincspoacher

Muppet.

Just like your reply   let out for the weekend have you ?

Posted by: arryarryarry, December 6, 2021, 12:06am; Reply: 186
Quoted from aldi_01

After being flipping abject for two years, mid table would be an improvement.

It’s like they’ve been waiting for it, like they’ve been nursing semi ons since mid October and mows their chance…weird if you ask me.

Mid table in the National League an improvement, are you on drugs?
Posted by: Mayaman, December 6, 2021, 12:41am; Reply: 187
Quoted from heppy88

If you think like that , you might as well chuck it in.  
Posted by: realist, December 6, 2021, 4:05am; Reply: 188
Surely it is not unreasonable to expect half decent toilet facilities for the fans? An open trough behind a screen would suffice to speed up the queues. Minimal investment, happier fans. Would sooner have this than the fan zone
Posted by: ska face, December 6, 2021, 4:47am; Reply: 189
Yeah a really moneyspinner and sure to be packing them in, new bogs
Posted by: realist, December 6, 2021, 7:02am; Reply: 190
Surely even you might have noticed the many complaints about the queues for the toilets?
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, December 6, 2021, 7:08am; Reply: 191
Why are people now starting to question the new owners?

Surely not?

You cannot possibly be criticising JS & AP and their new CEO. They are delivering on absolutely everything that our dam base wanted, and they are unequivocally beyond reproach for their work at the club.

Please stop

Posted by: denni266, December 6, 2021, 7:26am; Reply: 192

Surely not?

You cannot possibly be criticising JS & AP and their new CEO. They are delivering on absolutely everything that our dam base wanted, and they are unequivocally beyond reproach for their work at the club.

Please stop

Its not what the new owners have done . its what not has been done  ie the most important thing to a football club   the freekin team/  and a useless manager ..  But in usuall Grimsby fashion  webuy cheap so buy twice  or third or fourth...alwase waiting for the next window to pick up a bargain
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, December 6, 2021, 7:57am; Reply: 193

Surely not?

Please stop

I reckon Debbie must have knocked you back at some point cos you pop at her every opportunity, I don’t blame the new owners for twenty years of poor infrastructure at the club but I will question them if this form continues and he doesn’t get the boot

Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, December 6, 2021, 8:00am; Reply: 194
Quoted from denni266

But in usuall Grimsby fashion  webuy cheap so buy twice  or third or fourth...alwase waiting for the next window to pick up a bargain

Real question Denni do you think we should be the highest spenders on playing budget this year in the national league?

Posted by: denni266, December 6, 2021, 8:06am; Reply: 195
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

Real question Denni do you think we should be the highest spenders on playing budget this year in the national league?

No  i dont want us to waste money , but you have to spend and come out of poundland . Hurst just makes excuses all the time
Posted by: aldi_01, December 6, 2021, 8:27am; Reply: 196
Excuses? Erm…there haven’t been any, we made it quite clear that any income generated in the summer went in to the pockets of the cretin we got rid of, we weren’t prepared to risk the cash on Tashiminga which was completely understandable, other than that, not sure there’s been any…

We get it, you don’t like the only man that got us promoted in 30 other than Lord Buckley…

Watching town must be really hard for you…
Posted by: quebec38, December 6, 2021, 8:30am; Reply: 197
Tbh I can’t remember Hurst making any excuses after Saturday. I think he appreciates he is under pressure and the results are on his shoulders.

It will be interesting to see how the new owners approach things. Some hardened, more experienced owners would maybe wade in now and sack the manager. These guys, approaching things as they do with such an emphasis on values and supporting their staff - they may leave it longer and look to support the manager and team in other ways to try and turn things back around. Or maybe they will prove they are just ordinary ruthless business people like all the rest and get rid on Saturday if things don’t go our way.
Posted by: Davec, December 6, 2021, 8:35am; Reply: 198
Quoted from quebec38
Tbh I can’t remember Hurst making any excuses after Saturday. I think he appreciates he is under pressure and the results are on his shoulders.

It will be interesting to see how the new owners approach things. Some hardened, more experienced owners would maybe wade in now and sack the manager. These guys, approaching things as they do with such an emphasis on values and supporting their staff - they may leave it longer and look to support the manager and team in other ways to try and turn things back around. Or maybe they will prove they are just ordinary ruthless business people like all the rest and get rid on Saturday if things don’t go our way.

My concern is that if it comes to a point where Hurst should be sacked (I don't think it is at that point yet) but if it comes to that point what's the chances of them sacking him? Stockwood has repeatedly said Paul is in charge of the football stuff and he's openly admitted to not being a "football man" so he could easily come out and say something like "we know results has been unacceptable but Paul is in charge of the football side of things so we'll leave that to him to sort out."

As I said I don't think we are at that point yet but if we ever did get to that point that would be my concern.

Posted by: quebec38, December 6, 2021, 8:43am; Reply: 199
Yeah similar to what I was trying to say really. At the moment these guys are unknown so it will be interesting to see how things play out.

Hopefully things click once again so we don’t have to find out.

Oh and to everyone moaning about beer prices and toilets. If you weren’t moaning about these things when we were winning, then maybe you should question whether they are worth whining about now.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), December 6, 2021, 8:45am; Reply: 200
Quoted from denni266

No  i dont want us to waste money , but you have to spend and come out of poundland . Hurst just makes excuses all the time

You should go watch some Under 10's football, it's just about your level.

Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 6, 2021, 8:47am; Reply: 201
Quoted from Davec

My concern is that if it comes to a point where Hurst should be sacked (I don't think it is at that point yet) but if it comes to that point what's the chances of them sacking him? Stockwood has repeatedly said Paul is in charge of the football stuff and he's openly admitted to not being a "football man" so he could easily come out and say something like "we know results has been unacceptable but Paul is in charge of the football side of things so we'll leave that to him to sort out."

As I said I don't think we are at that point yet but if we ever did get to that point that would be my concern.

I actually think this is a good point, from what I've seen of the new owners I would imagine that they would have some KPI's and targets in place but whether that is promotion in the first season back, play-offs and see what happens or mid table "stability" if that is what it could be described as who knows? What I can see though is they appear to be patient so those baying for the manager to be binned need to cool their jets as it's not going to happen for a good while yet.    
Posted by: Zmariner, December 6, 2021, 8:55am; Reply: 202

Surely not?

Please stop

You are a plonker.......just a prize plonker
Posted by: denni266, December 6, 2021, 9:16am; Reply: 203
Quoted from 123614

You should go watch some Under 10's football, it's just about your level.

And you sir should get back to watching the telly tubbies ,, You just dont like anyone that has a different opinion to you . My different opinion has served me well in life  , So if you dont like it dont read it .
Posted by: jamesgtfc, December 6, 2021, 9:35am; Reply: 204
I said at the outset that I thought it would take 3 years to get back out. Do I want us to get promoted sooner than that? Of course I do but I'm also realistic.

One automatic space and then 6 play-off places fighting for the other promotion place. Bristol Rovers did it at the first time of asking in 2015 but I seem to recall that they were much better prepared for relegation than us and kept most of their squad together. They also had a huge stroke of luck in that final as the referee didn't want to spoil the game for neutrals.

1878 have decided that the services of Mark Palmer are no longer required, Ian Fleming has left so we have 3 senior executives at the club in Stockwood, Pettit and Cook who are 7 months into their football industry careers. How do they go about recruiting a replacement for Paul Hurst?

6 losses in 7 is bad but chopping and changing managers doesn't usually bring success. I want to see Hurst addressing our weaknesses over the next 6-8 weeks and grinding out a few victories. Chesterfield are top of the league and could be coming here Saturday thinking about a game at Old Trafford, Anfield or The Emirates. It's a tough game to go into in current form but football is a funny old game and I fancy us to get something.
Posted by: Zmariner, December 6, 2021, 9:38am; Reply: 205
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I said at the outset that I thought it would take 3 years to get back out. Do I want us to get promoted sooner than that? Of course I do but I'm also realistic.

One automatic space and then 6 play-off places fighting for the other promotion place. Bristol Rovers did it at the first time of asking in 2015 but I seem to recall that they were much better prepared for relegation than us and kept most of their squad together. They also had a huge stroke of luck in that final as the referee didn't want to spoil the game for neutrals.

1878 have decided that the services of Mark Palmer are no longer required, Ian Fleming has left so we have 3 senior executives at the club in Stockwood, Pettit and Cook who are 7 months into their football industry careers. How do they go about recruiting a replacement for Paul Hurst?

6 losses in 7 is bad but chopping and changing managers doesn't usually bring success. I want to see Hurst addressing our weaknesses over the next 6-8 weeks and grinding out a few victories. Chesterfield are top of the league and could be coming here Saturday thinking about a game at Old Trafford, Anfield or The Emirates. It's a tough game to go into in current form but football is a funny old game and I fancy us to get something.

I agree with you, I am a little more calm now. If he could even turn these defeats into draws it would take the heat off him. He will be feeling the heat because of his recent managerial record another job will not come easily and so turning the corner really is critical. The Chesterfield match I think will be very tight but they clearly are a lot more potent than we are and so we will need to take our chances
Posted by: BeijingMariner, December 6, 2021, 9:42am; Reply: 206
Quoted from denni266

What has his size got to do with it?
No, seriously, what?
Maybe next time you could bring his sexuality into it?
Shoe size?
People who start with an insult based on immutable characteristics have some issues, for sure.
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, December 6, 2021, 9:48am; Reply: 207
Quoted from Zmariner

You are a plonker.......just a prize plonker

Read it with your own eyes. It’s started.

Already fans are calling JS & AP into question and making them accountable. Already fans are saying the exact opposite to what JS & AP are. The pair are fully behind PH and want him as their manager to build something. But fans are calling for his head. Forgive me if I’m wrong, but isn’t that already a direct criticism of the decisions of the owners in their football decision making?

Come on guys, how often was JF criticised for making the wrong calls in manager appointments and persisting with his choices for so long. That’s essentially what the Hurst Out brigade are doing now to JF & AP

Long after your glass screens, community engagement and scotch eggs, it comes down to the football and the football management that is 99% of the satisfaction of fans. If that 99% isn’t good, then fans start to turn. And that has clearly started.

Someone told me that JS is very aware of this. When we was flying high at the top of the league he told them that it was “all very positive, but let’s see what happens if it all turns to bat excrement
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 6, 2021, 10:50am; Reply: 208
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Agree with this, I would be amazed if Hurst didn't know what was wrong and the fact that he's already eluded to departures and arrivals (inc 2 in over the last 2 weeks) in January would suggest he's got the view it's personnel related.

Posted by: denni266, December 6, 2021, 10:51am; Reply: 209
Quoted from BeijingMariner

No, seriously, what?
Shoe size?
People who start with an insult based on immutable characteristics have some issues, for sure.

To be honest i wasnt relating anything to his size as in height or other .but if you read it that way thats up to you ..
Posted by: Ashby mariner, December 6, 2021, 11:11am; Reply: 210
Hurst in for me. I'm really disappointed with recent run but far to early to call for his head who's to say the next manager or managers wiuld be a success we all know how things went since Hurst was last here. At the end of the day I'd of taken 6th place going into December. It's just a shame all our wins came at once and wasn't spread out abit then this thread wouldn't exist.
Posted by: mariner91, December 6, 2021, 11:13am; Reply: 211
Quoted from BeijingMariner

No, seriously, what?
Shoe size?

Personally I would feel far more comfortable about six losses out of seven if our manager was 6ft3.
Posted by: ginnywings, December 6, 2021, 11:19am; Reply: 212
Quoted from realist
Surely it is not unreasonable to expect half decent toilet facilities for the fans? An open trough behind a screen would suffice to speed up the queues. Minimal investment, happier fans. Would sooner have this than the fan zone

Again, the fan zone is nothing to do with the board. It is a Trust initiative.

The board know there is an issue with the toilets, which is why they are paying for portaloos dotted around the ground.

It really is pathetic that suddenly, fans are complaining about the bogs. They have been like that for years and as I have said previously, there are more pressing matters that need urgent attention.

The new owners have been in charge for half a year and have achieved much in that time, but they don't have a magic wand.

I also find it hilarious that because the team are now struggling, the very fabric of the ground is being brought into question.

Would defeats on the pitch be acceptable if you had a nice bog to do your ablutions and the beer was a pound cheaper? No, you would find something else to criticize.
Posted by: Ipswin, December 6, 2021, 11:25am; Reply: 213
So how long is everyone prepared to give it?

6 defeats out of 7 could quite easily become 10 out of 11. Will that do it or would it take Kings Lynn to push him over the edge

(If we lose to K Lynn there are three more potential defeats waiting after that)

Maybe a couple of lucky draws will be enough to satisfy many on here
Posted by: ginnywings, December 6, 2021, 11:36am; Reply: 214
Quoted from Ipswin

6 defeats out of 7 could quite easily become 10 out of 11. Will that do it or would it take Kings Lynn to push him over the edge

(If we lose to K Lynn there are three more potential defeats waiting after that)

Not our decision to make, so it's a pointless question.

Cue some joke about Hurst and pointless.
Posted by: mariner91, December 6, 2021, 11:47am; Reply: 215
Quoted from Ipswin

The next four games need to see dramatic improvements in performance and at least some points on the board or questions should really be asked.
Posted by: buckstown, December 6, 2021, 11:50am; Reply: 216
I've never been in favour of chopping and changing managers. If you believe the incumbent has the ability stick with him and it'll work out. They all go through bad patches so if you believe PH has what it takes sacking him makes no sense.
However, something is wrong, or something has happened to change this team from table toppers to real mediocrity. If it was a bad apple I think Hurst would have sorted it, he has a good track record of shipping out trouble causers. Unless it's one of the "big" players undermining him? If he's lost the dressing room there's probably nobody better than JS to sort it out
Trouble is our form isn't even mid table and it needs sorting very quickly
Posted by: Garth, December 6, 2021, 11:53am; Reply: 217
Quoted from realist
Surely even you might have noticed the many complaints about the queues for the toilets?

The toilets at Town are not standered
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, December 6, 2021, 11:53am; Reply: 218
Quoted from Ipswin

Obviously its hypothetical as I personally think we will get some results, maybe against Kings Lynn and one of the two Halifax fixtures, but  its entirely possible we could lost all of the next five games and if that happens JS and AP will be in a difficult position. Even then I suspect they will want to take a longer view, but sticking with a manager who lost 11 from 12 would be almost unheard of. Hopefully it won't come to that.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 6, 2021, 11:59am; Reply: 219
Quoted from Ipswin

I doubt any review would take place before the end of the season and as Ginny points out it's irrelevant what we think.

Just in case though who was your 2nd choice behind Neil Warnock BTW?
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, December 6, 2021, 12:11pm; Reply: 220
Something that has not been considered is that if something has happened behind the scenes Stockwood and Petit know about it. It is inconceivable that it hasn't been discussed between them and Hurst and that a plan is in place to sort it out.

Stockwood and Petit will also be aware of how we are feeling and how the run is likely to suck the life out of our 'renaissance'. They're not stupid. They also know we've lost 6 out of 7.

And a section of the crowd abusing Hurst will have little or no effect on the situation.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, December 6, 2021, 12:17pm; Reply: 221
Quoted from denni266

To be honest i wasnt relating anything to his size as in height or other .but if you read it that way thats up to you ..

Yes you were.

It’s almost as bad as people calling Hurst a ‘poisonous dw*rf’.
Posted by: Poojah, December 6, 2021, 12:24pm; Reply: 222
Quoted from Ipswin

It’s a reasonable question to be fair. Personally, my expectation is that a degree of mitigation will be afforded to Hurst in that a poor run of form has segued into a particularly difficult run of fixtures (our next four games fall against the four teams with the highest PPG in the league right now) and that even if straight defeats should follow, Hurst will still be in the dugout come King’s Lynn.

Lose that though, and it’s hard to find an argument to keep a manager who would have lost 12 out of 13 in gainful employment. That is, of course, hypothetical for now. A win against Chesterfield, as unlikely as it feels from this vantage point, would massively change the complexion of things.

I’d be surprised if Hurst doesn’t find a way to muddle through these next few games though. He had some very dodgy spells in his previous spell here, but always managed to just about find a way to come through.
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, December 6, 2021, 12:27pm; Reply: 223
Thing is now ive calmed down from the dissapointment again, yeh its a shocker of a run of form, but in 3 or 4 games time we couldve halted the drop, if we finish the season in the playoffs thats a great success really, if we finished mid table I think we'd be in the playoffs the following season, its not all that bad really despite it feeling bad after every game at the minute. This leagues just a massive pain in the bottom to get out of

But between hurst weve had bignot, slade, jolley and holloway, and when each of them arrived they arrived to praise at being the solution to what we needed, im not saying we cant do better than hurst but we can definately do disasterously worse
Posted by: Zmariner, December 6, 2021, 12:37pm; Reply: 224

Read it with your own eyes. It’s started.

Already fans are calling JS & AP into question and making them accountable. Already fans are saying the exact opposite to what JS & AP are. The pair are fully behind PH and want him as their manager to build something. But fans are calling for his head. Forgive me if I’m wrong, but isn’t that already a direct criticism of the decisions of the owners in their football decision making?

Come on guys, how often was JF criticised for making the wrong calls in manager appointments and persisting with his choices for so long. That’s essentially what the Hurst Out brigade are doing now to JF & AP

Long after your glass screens, community engagement and scotch eggs, it comes down to the football and the football management that is 99% of the satisfaction of fans. If that 99% isn’t good, then fans start to turn. And that has clearly started.

Someone told me that JS is very aware of this. When we was flying high at the top of the league he told them that it was “all very positive, but let’s see what happens if it all turns to bat excrement

Your posts are often designed to be provocative and it is difficult to benchmark against the previous regime which has taken us into the National League twice. In essence there is just nothing to defend. Yet at every opportunity you like to wind people up. Great to have an opinion but I always feel these posts are antagonistic and bring nothing other than amuse you. .You cannot defend the previous regime we still play in a rotten football ground at the lowest level in our history.I do not for one second think that JF ever wanted this and tried hard to avoid it but this is where we are
I am pro Paul Hurst but he did a poor job last season and we are on poor form again this season and so he will get some flack, just part of the job nothing more.
The new owners are clearly smart business men And it was obvious that things would not run smoothly always. This is the problem of Paul Hurst and his team, he has been offered backing and we are getting beaten by teams with very low resources on a regular basis.He should have a couple of months to get this fixed, if he fails he will inevitably have to be removed but I do not expect it to come to this

Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, December 6, 2021, 12:43pm; Reply: 225
Quoted from Poojah

It’s a reasonable question to be fair. Personally, my expectation is that a degree of mitigation will be afforded to Hurst in that a poor run of form has segued into a particularly difficult run of fixtures (our next four games fall against the four teams with the highest PPG in the league right now) and that even if straight defeats should follow, Hurst will still be in the dugout come King’s Lynn.

Lose that though, and it’s hard to find an argument to keep a manager who would have lost 12 out of 13 in gainful employment. That is, of course, hypothetical for now. A win against Chesterfield, as unlikely as it feels from this vantage point, would massively change the complexion of things.

I’d be surprised if Hurst doesn’t find a way to muddle through these next few games though. He had some very dodgy spells in his previous spell here, but always managed to just about find a way to come through.

Despite our recent troubles in front of goal, I quite fancy Bell and Taylor to grab something.

I’m more concerned that Hurst’s rope-a-dope in the big matches won’t work with the instability in defence / keeper / central midfield.

No disrespect meant to Waterfall and Pearson but I would worry about Tshimanga getting beyond them. It’s got an early red card written all over it. Presumably Towler will switch back to CB and will partner Waterfall.

If we leave too much space behind our defence we will be punished; against Chesterfield in particular.
Posted by: Poojah, December 6, 2021, 12:48pm; Reply: 226
Quoted from Zmariner

Your posts are often designed to be provocative and it is difficult to benchmark against the previous regime which has taken us into the National League twice. In essence there is just nothing to defend. Yet at every opportunity you like to wind people up. Great to have an opinion but I always feel these posts are antagonistic and bring nothing other than amuse you. .You cannot defend the previous regime we still play in a rotten football ground at the lowest level in our history.I do not for one second think that JF ever wanted this and tried hard to avoid it but this is where we are
I am pro Paul Hurst but he did a poor job last season and we are on poor form again this season and so he will get some flack, just part of the job nothing more.
The new owners are clearly smart business men And it was obvious that things would not run smoothly always. This is the problem of Paul Hurst and his team, he has been offered backing and we are getting beaten by teams with very low resources on a regular basis.He should have a couple of months to get this fixed, if he fails he will inevitably have to be removed but I do not expect it to come to this

Pretty much spot on with all of that. The only thing I would add is that whilst I don’t doubt the effort Fenty put in over the years, he was always going to be undermined not only by his overwhelming ego and narcissism but also be his complete lack of awareness of it. He was unable to see the world through anyone’s eyes but his own.

With hindsight, no amount of hard work could have overcome his fundamental, innate character flaws and he was always doomed to fail at GTFC.
Posted by: Ipswin, December 6, 2021, 12:51pm; Reply: 227
Quoted from ginnywings

Not our decision to make, so it's a pointless question.

Cue some joke about Hurst and pointless.

I simply wanted to know when even the most rose-tinted Hurst lovers might start to turn against him on here

Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, December 6, 2021, 12:54pm; Reply: 228
Quoted from Ipswin

I simply wanted to know when even the most rose-tinted Hurst lovers might start to turn against him on here

I’m still waiting for the myopia-glass-wearing, Hurst-out brigade to suggest a credible replacement.

And don’t offer me Colin Warnock again!
Posted by: Ipswin, December 6, 2021, 12:56pm; Reply: 229
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I doubt any review would take place before the end of the season and as Ginny points out it's irrelevant what we think.

Just in case though who was your 2nd choice behind Neil Warnock BTW?

There's a very stunned bloke packing his stuff up at Portman Road as we speak and of course there's Russ Slade

But as I say, every time some twit asks who I would take in place of Hurst, when I know the names of those who are in for the job I'll let you know

Posted by: denni266, December 6, 2021, 1:31pm; Reply: 230

Yes you were.

It’s almost as bad as people calling Hurst a ‘poisonous dw*rf’.

Here is another one of these mind readers . i bow to your super powers .. balderdash  if i was to mean anything regarding his height i would say so . end of
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, December 6, 2021, 1:39pm; Reply: 231
As a big PH fan, i'm still going to defend him.

Yes, this run is poor, and very concerning.
But his man management qualities are extremely rare these days, especially at the level we are at,

Sacking and swapping managers isn't always the answer.
Is there a manager out there that is going to improve us?

Grind through it, and give him the season.
No play-offs, a new manager gets the summer to go at it
Posted by: Hagrid, December 6, 2021, 1:40pm; Reply: 232
Quoted from denni266

Here is another one of these mind readers . i bow to your super powers .. balderdash  if i was to mean anything regarding his height i would say so . end of

but what does it matter if he's small? i dont get it

either way the runs concerning, the players confidence is gone, and we've gotta turn it round fast or Hurst will be out of a job
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, December 6, 2021, 1:45pm; Reply: 233
Who's Colin Warnock?
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, December 6, 2021, 1:47pm; Reply: 234
Who's Colin Warnock?

[url]https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/uk-world-news/neil-warnock-gary-lineker-sala-15775934[/url]
Posted by: Ipswin, December 6, 2021, 1:47pm; Reply: 235

I recall a certain fella called Holloway no fornicator expected would ever lower himself to join GTFC

Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, December 6, 2021, 1:52pm; Reply: 236
Quoted from denni266

But you did. Otherwise why say 'little never was man'?

A job awaits you in the cabinet office!
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 6, 2021, 2:03pm; Reply: 237
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
As a big PH fan, i'm still going to defend him.

Yes, this run is poor, and very concerning.
But his man management qualities are extremely rare these days, especially at the level we are at,

Sacking and swapping managers isn't always the answer.
Is there a manager out there that is going to improve us?

Grind through it, and give him the season.
No play-offs, a new manager gets the summer to go at it

I haven't called for Hurst to be sacked this season (yet)

But you keep repeating this old daft point that many do, who knows if a new manager will improve us, it's a risk that every club makes and if they didn't they would keep their current manager for years but it doesn't work like that.

Should the new owners have done their very best to keep Holloway as you could have made that same point and to repeat what I have said many times, Paul Hurst didn't improve us last season, he had half a season to do that and ended up with a worst points per game total than that clown Holloway.
Posted by: Hagrid, December 6, 2021, 2:05pm; Reply: 238
Quoted from Ipswin

I recall a certain fella called Holloway no fornicator expected would ever lower himself to join GTFC

wash your mouth out swin

dont mention Satan's name!
Posted by: chaos33, December 6, 2021, 2:53pm; Reply: 239
Quoted from denni266

You called him a ‘never was little man’. What the fr1g has his height got to do with it? You opened your badly expressed, alarmist and imbalanced opinion with an insult. At least have the balls to own it and work on a way of being more constructive, and lucid.
Posted by: rancido, December 6, 2021, 3:01pm; Reply: 240
Quoted from denni266

Well how else can you interpret "little never was man"?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 6, 2021, 3:41pm; Reply: 241
I see that the GTFC Facebook pages are littered with the suggestion that McAtee was a passenger in Sears’ car on the night of the DD incident. There’s been suggestions of a drinking culture before. I know they’re young lads but surely this needs stamping out.
Posted by: Hagrid, December 6, 2021, 3:44pm; Reply: 242
Quoted from MuddyWaters
I see that the GTFC Facebook pages are littered with the suggestion that McAtee was a passenger in Sears’ car on the night of the DD incident. There’s been suggestions of a drinking culture before. I know they’re young lads but surely this needs stamping out.

i can tell you categorically OC that they are out near enough every weekend in cleethorpes
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, December 6, 2021, 3:53pm; Reply: 243
Quoted from arryarryarry

I haven't called for Hurst to be sacked this season (yet)

But you keep repeating this old daft point that many do, who knows if a new manager will improve us, it's a risk that every club makes and if they didn't they would keep their current manager for years but it doesn't work like that.

Should the new owners have done their very best to keep Holloway as you could have made that same point and to repeat what I have said many times, Paul Hurst didn't improve us last season, he had half a season to do that and ended up with a worst points per game total than that clown Holloway.

Of course its all a risk.

Man utd give Moyes very limited time,
They've been through 6 managers (including caretaker) in 7 years.
No further forward than when he left
He's now managing a 'smaller' club and they are doing better than Man Utd.

Sacking isn't always the best way forward
Posted by: jamesgtfc, December 6, 2021, 4:10pm; Reply: 244
Quoted from Hagrid

i can tell you categorically OC that they are out near enough every weekend in cleethorpes

Well my Mrs was stood talking to DLK in Cleethorpes at 1am after the Bromsgrove game, a week before Sears drove under the influence. Her mate was trying to take him back to hers.

He was saying that it's so boring around here and there's nothing to do compared to where he's from.

I think the JMD signing was confirmed by fans because he was with Max Wright and Ben Fox in Cleethorpes last Saturday night.

It's a funny one because when we are flying, everyone will say it's great for team spirit but after 6 losses in 7, the daggers come out.

I certainly think there has been a few harsh words said after the Sears incident. My theory is that Sears wasn't the only one in his car and Hurst has maybe had a go at the passengers for putting themselves in danger and not stopping their teammate doing such a stupid thing.
Posted by: ska face, December 6, 2021, 4:21pm; Reply: 245
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Well my Mrs was stood talking to DLK in Cleethorpes at 1am after the Bromsgrove game, a week before Sears drove under the influence. Her mate was trying to take him back to hers.

He was saying that it's so boring around here and there's nothing to do compared to where he's from.

Not wrong though is he? Even an hour away in Hull or Lincoln is a completely different prospect for a bloke in his 20s. Anytime someone brings that up on here you get reminded of the beach or cheap houses or leafier parts of town, but there’s almost nothing to do but go to the same small number of pubs & clubs.
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, December 6, 2021, 4:29pm; Reply: 246
Hardly a cosmopolitan hotspot is it.
Not sure there’s much to attract young pro’s to want to live in Clee or GY

It’s understandable that pro’s at our level sacrifice an awful lot in coming to live in our area compared to more appealing locations. The price you pay I suppose for trying to make your way as a professional player

Sad to hear of the stupidity. I’d guess that any teammates in his car have got to take a long hard look at themselves too, for allowing a friend to get behind the wheel of a car. Unforgivable all round really
Posted by: Hagrid, December 6, 2021, 4:34pm; Reply: 247
yeah Fox was with JMD Harry and Max in Counting house week ago, but Yeah the lads are always out, you'd think 6 losses in 7 they'd be in for Sunday Training.....

DLK's London born isnt he so not surprised he's bored here
Posted by: gytone, December 6, 2021, 4:35pm; Reply: 248
If players don't like it round here and think it's boring then they can intercourse off as far as I'm concerned, we  don't want or need them either.

Posted by: Northbank Mariner, December 6, 2021, 4:44pm; Reply: 249
Quoted from gytone
If players don't like it round here and think it's boring then they can intercourse off as far as I'm concerned, we  don't want or need them either.

Don't quite agree with that tbh.
What I would say is this though, as professional footballers it doesn't matter where live to a certain degree, they have a 10 month working year, roughly speaking, and those 10 months should be dedicated to fitness and conditioning, so whether there's something or nothing to do shouldn't matter during the season.
The 2 nights they have off a week should not be a chance to get lashed, yes go out and de-stress but I'm not sure having a belly full of lager n kebabs sets the greatest examples.
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, December 6, 2021, 4:50pm; Reply: 250
Quoted from gytone

They do
Posted by: chaos33, December 6, 2021, 5:19pm; Reply: 251
Hardly a cosmopolitan hotspot is it.
Not sure there’s much to attract young pro’s to want to live in Clee or GY

It’s understandable that pro’s at our level sacrifice an awful lot in coming to live in our area compared to more appealing locations. The price you pay I suppose for trying to make your way as a professional player

Sad to hear of the stupidity. I’d guess that any teammates in his car have got to take a long hard look at themselves too, for allowing a friend to get behind the wheel of a car. Unforgivable all round really

I find this notion a bit difficult to accept in all honesty. I know it’s not London or Manchester, but f@cking hell - it’s all relative isn’t it. At least they’ve got a seaside bolted onto the town. What do you suppose there is to do in your spare time or on a night out in Crawley, or Mansfield, or Barrow, or Kings Lynn or Burton on Trent, or Swindon….etc….
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, December 6, 2021, 5:32pm; Reply: 252
Quoted from chaos33

I find this notion a bit difficult to accept in all honesty. I know it’s not London or Manchester, but f@cking hell - it’s all relative isn’t it. At least they’ve got a seaside bolted onto the town. What do you suppose there is to do in your spare time or on a night out in Crawley, or Mansfield, or Barrow, or Kings Lynn or Burton on Trent, or Swindon….etc….

Crawley has London on the doorstep. Mansfield and Burton players probably live in Nottingham. Barrow train in Cheshire so the players are likely to live in Cheshire or Manc.

Swindon has…roundabouts and is commutable from Bristol.

King’s Lynn has incest on tap.

The problem isn’t Grimsby / Cleethorpes necessarily. It’s the lack of big city nearby.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, December 6, 2021, 5:53pm; Reply: 253
Thanks for clearing that up . Takes someone of higher intelligence to explain something such as basic geography ffs
Posted by: ska face, December 6, 2021, 5:59pm; Reply: 254
Nobody’s said the players don’t want to be here, but it’s typical of town fans to immediately start slating the squad for being out on a Saturday as soon as they hit a bad patch. There’s fúck all else to do other than disappear to a different town/city just to have a pint without getting grief off people round here. How much can anyone “Lord it up” around meggies anyway? you can get 3 pints and still have change from a tenner.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 6, 2021, 6:07pm; Reply: 255

Crawley has London on the doorstep. Mansfield and Burton players probably live in Nottingham. Barrow train in Cheshire so the players are likely to live in Cheshire or Manc.

The problem isn’t Grimsby / Cleethorpes necessarily. It’s the lack of big city nearby.

What about Hull?............... I'll get me coat  ;D
Posted by: Ipswin, December 6, 2021, 6:32pm; Reply: 256
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Perhaps our two new wealthy owners could open a few venues in Meggies and import a few good looking women to entertain the boys instead of all the stuff they are doing to Blundell Park
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, December 6, 2021, 7:37pm; Reply: 257
Quoted from Ipswin
Perhaps our two new wealthy owners could open a few venues in Meggies and import a few good looking women to entertain the boys instead of all the stuff they are doing to Blundell Park
I would rather treat them to a KFC as a win bonus after a game, plenty of breast and thighs still, and a greasy box to stick their bones in.
Posted by: toontown, December 6, 2021, 7:37pm; Reply: 258
Quoted from ska face
Nobody’s said the players don’t want to be here, but it’s typical of town fans to immediately start slating the squad for being out on a Saturday as soon as they hit a bad patch. There’s fúck all else to do other than disappear to a different town/city just to have a pint without getting grief off people round here. How much can anyone “Lord it up” around meggies anyway? you can get 3 pints and still have change from a tenner.

Yeah exactly, so they go out like loads of pro footballers do on a Saturday night, from elite level down to tier 5 and below. Its only now a problem cos their form is so bad but no doubt they were doing it when their form was really good. And no doubt the teams that we have lost to (and the ones we've beaten) are doing it too. It's not the reason.

And christ when I was 18 I was looking for somewhere more exciting to live and I hadn't been brought up in London like DLK, its hardly surprising big cities, or towns close to them, appeal to young men.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, December 6, 2021, 7:42pm; Reply: 259
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Chesterfield are top of the league and could be coming here Saturday thinking about a game at Old Trafford, Anfield or The Emirates. It's a tough game to go into in current form but football is a funny old game and I fancy us to get something.

Or Stamford Bridge.
Posted by: ginnywings, December 6, 2021, 8:20pm; Reply: 260
Quoted from Zmariner

He IS the previous regime.

What year would we be getting into the Championship Mr Day, if you had still been around?
Posted by: Civvy at last, December 6, 2021, 8:25pm; Reply: 261
Quoted from ska face
Nobody’s said the players don’t want to be here, but it’s typical of town fans to immediately start slating the squad for being out on a Saturday as soon as they hit a bad patch.  

Always makes me smile when I read. ‘Typical Town’ fans or ‘Typical Fishy’ etc.

Absolute bollox.

It’s actually. Typical football fans or typical football forum.

If folk that type that sh1t had travelled further than the flyover they might just realise that  !!
Posted by: chaos33, December 6, 2021, 8:37pm; Reply: 262

Would players get on a bus/train/taxi to travel those distances for a night out? Plenty to do in GY/Clee if you’ve got an imagination.
Posted by: ginnywings, December 6, 2021, 8:37pm; Reply: 263
Quoted from Ipswin

Fair enough.

It's not something I concern myself with. When players and managers represent the club, they get my support. As soon as they leave, for whatever reason, I shrug my shoulders and wait to see who is replacing them, even if it's someone you would rather keep, though this only applies rarely and usually to good players who have decided to move on.

The last manager to leave who I would rather we kept was Buckley when he went to West Brom, so if PH is sacked tonight, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. If the board decide to keep faith in him, then I'm not going to be demanding his head.

Obviously, if the losing run goes on for a few more weeks, then his position will and should be in serious peril, but I think the board will give him January and the window whatever happens.

I said at the start of the season that given our standing in this league, we should be making the play offs and if we didn't, then Hurst has failed. I still think that, so for me, he should go if we look like that is not going to happen, or doesn't happen.
Posted by: sydney, December 6, 2021, 8:57pm; Reply: 264
We aren’t very convincing at the moment though 😢
Posted by: ska face, December 6, 2021, 9:10pm; Reply: 265
Quoted from Civvy at last

Always makes me smile when I read. ‘Typical Town’ fans or ‘Typical Fishy’ etc.

Absolute bollox.

It’s actually. Typical football fans or typical football forum.

If folk that type that sh1t had travelled further than the flyover they might just realise that  !!

What the fúck are you on about now?

The point stands regardless of what other fans are like.  
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, December 7, 2021, 1:32am; Reply: 266
Quoted from Ipswin

You mean like Nicole’s?

🧐🥸🤭
Posted by: lukeo, December 7, 2021, 7:43am; Reply: 267
As much as id love promotion this season, I believe this season is all about building behind the scenes. Don't get me wrong if we fail to reach top 7, absolutely question whether Hurst is up for it but that doesn't mean I'd want him sacked. If we're not competing for a top 3 place by Christmas next season then we need to have this conversation.
Rome wasn't build in a day. There's around 10 teams wanting and aiming for the same as us this year.
Posted by: sam gy, December 7, 2021, 6:03pm; Reply: 268
Love how now we’ve lost some games, some are using the positive things that have gone on as sticks to beat the owners with. Laughable.

Don’t want to pay extra for better quality food and drink provided by local business’? Fine, go to one of the other bars/kiosks. All the big brand beers are still available. The choice is yours.

All of this “since when does a scotch egg/glass fence etc get you three points on a Saturday” reminds me very much of a famous quote by our previous owner :)

We can have nice things, improvements and positive off the field activities without that having any affect whatsoever on the playing budget. Likewise Jason can knock out a quick article for the Guardian and still co-own a football club without it having a detrimental effect.

Christ.

Oh and one more thing, i for one am GLAD the current players seem to socialise together and go out locally for a few drinks at the weekend when they are totally allowed to. If you have a problem with that, then you really do need to get a life.
Posted by: aldi_01, December 7, 2021, 6:43pm; Reply: 269
The way some fans are moaning, talking and using certain phrases probably gives us an insight in to why nobody really challenged the Fenty and his mess…
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 7, 2021, 11:10pm; Reply: 270
The other shortsighted thing about those moaning about better and more expensive food and drink is that there is clearly a lot more money being spent in the ground. Not only is it more expensive it is also popular. Ker-ching!!

More money in the long run helps to improve performance. Which is what they say they want!
Posted by: MarinerWY, December 8, 2021, 12:00am; Reply: 271
The other shortsighted thing about those moaning about better and more expensive food and drink is that there is clearly a lot more money being spent in the ground. Not only is it more expensive it is also popular. Ker-ching!!

More money in the long run helps to improve performance. Which is what they say they want!

Exactly. Someone said above that they hadn't been able to get into the fanzone. Well when we've been you do have to queue 15mins to get in, as early as 1pm. Cos its full. Full of people spending money at the ground for 2 hours before kick off. Surely can only be a good thing?!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 8, 2021, 12:05am; Reply: 272
Same with the queues for the bogs. Ok that’s not a money spinner but it’s a sign that more money is being spent. The miserablebuggers probably preferred it when there were 2-3000 less people in the ground.
Posted by: rancido, December 8, 2021, 10:31am; Reply: 273

First of all I don't think it is " shortsighted " to question the affordability of the catering at the club.While I do agree that the more money we take in catering then the the better it is for the club , there is another aspect to this. I have never visited the fan zone but I am led to believe that a pint of beer is £4 and a Scotch egg is also £4. Whilst I accept that  at pub prices £4 a pint is on the high side of local prices, I think £4 for a Scotch egg is very expensive. A total of £8 for a drink and a snack pre-game is beyond my budget and I suspect many others. Ok, so I am a pensioner on a fixed income but I suspect many minimum wage workers would also find it beyond their budget.
Posted by: sam gy, December 8, 2021, 11:01am; Reply: 274
Don't want to sound like i'm dismissing your points Rancido, because if people are genuinely getting priced out of eating/drinking at BP then thats obviously not great -  but surely there is a choice to either eat before you enter BP, or choose something different within BP if people are more hard up? There are still stalls that sell the more standard fare aren't there? (correct me if i'm wrong as i don't know for sure, but i think i remember seeing that there is..)

4 quid for a scotch egg sounds expensive on a base level, but it's not exactly a bog standard scotch egg that you'd get off the shelf in Tesco.

I think the whole point about the new catering in the fanzone and BP was to offer a different alternative, something a bit nicer than what you'll usually find at a football match to entice people into spending a bit more inside BP and support local businesses at the same time. It seems to be working but these things do cost a bit more than the mass produced stuff that has been on sale previously.

As i mentioned earlier, the club still has a deal with Molson Coors to provide drinks at a cheaper price..
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, December 8, 2021, 12:03pm; Reply: 275
There is a choice. You can choose to buy a scotch egg and a pint for 4 quid or you can choose not to.

I haven't been to BP for some time (I'm an exile) but the last thing I ate in the ground was a cup of tea that looked like and tasted of p*ss and a 'burger' that appeared to made from an old tyre and 2 pieces of polystyrene tiling. Whatever I was charged, it was too much.
Posted by: ginnywings, December 8, 2021, 12:08pm; Reply: 276
Quoted from rancido

First of all I don't think it is " shortsighted " to question the affordability of the catering at the club.While I do agree that the more money we take in catering then the the better it is for the club , there is another aspect to this. I have never visited the fan zone but I am led to believe that a pint of beer is £4 and a Scotch egg is also £4. Whilst I accept that  at pub prices £4 a pint is on the high side of local prices, I think £4 for a Scotch egg is very expensive. A total of £8 for a drink and a snack pre-game is beyond my budget and I suspect many others. Ok, so I am a pensioner on a fixed income but I suspect many minimum wage workers would also find it beyond their budget.

You're wrong! The beer is dearer than that.  ;D Think it's £4.50 and one of them is £5.

For context, we got coffee and cake in Starbucks the other day and it was about 14 quid. The cake wouldn't have touched the sides of a 2 year old.

The food selections were top of the list of the fan survey. People wanted more and better choices.

I do however think that the Docks beers are overpriced personally.
Posted by: ginnywings, December 8, 2021, 12:17pm; Reply: 277
Also, it's not inconceivable to have better facilities, better food and drink and a better team.

It's just quicker to implement the first two, while the third one takes a little longer. I'm sure we will strengthen in Jan and again in the summer. Most teams in this league have been building longer than we have and some have more dosh to chuck at it.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, December 8, 2021, 12:25pm; Reply: 278
A McDonald's or Burger King costs more than £4 so do those gristle burgers you get at most Van's at stadiums/fair grounds/theme parks, fact is prices have gone up in recent months/years.

There was pretty much unanimous condemnation of the food on offer st BP up until this season, now its improved it's too expensive.  WTF do people want out of the food offering?
Posted by: Mrbump53, December 8, 2021, 12:29pm; Reply: 279
There is no doubt that it can cost you more to eat and drink on match days but the overall question is whether this is value for money and quality. The food I have tried (including the large scotch egg) I feel is of better quality and whilst more expensive seems to me better value for money than what was on offer before. I have also been to other clubs (such as Dagenham last week) where two burgers and two soft drinks didn't give me very much change out of £15 and was not of a high quality. I have also been to higher league clubs and two soft drinks and two chocolate bars were over £10. The improvement in the food being offered seems to be part of the improved atmosphere on matchdays and making it more of an experience for non-regulars who may want to come again. I cannot comment on the alcohol costs as I drive to the ground and so don't drink any alcohol.
Posted by: Ipswin, December 8, 2021, 12:41pm; Reply: 280
All wonderful stuff when the fanzone is packed out and selling last amounts of overpriced scotch eggs but what about when it is mid January, we are mid table and its blowing a gale, freezing cold and pissing down with rain with 3500-4000 miserable wretches not packed into Blundell Park
Posted by: thefish, December 8, 2021, 12:51pm; Reply: 281
Quoted from Ipswin
All wonderful stuff when the fanzone is packed out and selling last amounts of overpriced scotch eggs but what about when it is mid January, we are mid table and its blowing a gale, freezing cold and pissing down with rain with 3500-4000 miserable wretches not packed into Blundell Park

I bet your misses loves you!
Posted by: sam gy, December 8, 2021, 12:54pm; Reply: 282
Quoted from Ipswin

Yes what about it? What is your point?
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, December 8, 2021, 1:09pm; Reply: 283
Quoted from Ipswin

Don't know why you're getting your drawers in a twist Swin, with all respect you don't go pal, doesn't affect your match day experience!..
The fanzone is a little belter, kids area, live bands/, artists, good food and a place to chat all things football, I've met new fans I'd not normally have got to chat to.
And you may be a "miserable wretch" but don't taint us all with your own persona..
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, December 8, 2021, 1:41pm; Reply: 284
Quoted from sam gy

Yes what about it? What is your point?

I don't think he has one, not at least one I can get my head around.
Posted by: rancido, December 8, 2021, 2:27pm; Reply: 285
Quoted from sam gy
Don't want to sound like i'm dismissing your points Rancido, because if people are genuinely getting priced out of eating/drinking at BP then thats obviously not great -  but surely there is a choice to either eat before you enter BP, or choose something different within BP if people are more hard up? There are still stalls that sell the more standard fare aren't there? (correct me if i'm wrong as i don't know for sure, but i think i remember seeing that there is..)

4 quid for a scotch egg sounds expensive on a base level, but it's not exactly a bog standard scotch egg that you'd get off the shelf in Tesco.

I think the whole point about the new catering in the fanzone and BP was to offer a different alternative, something a bit nicer than what you'll usually find at a football match to entice people into spending a bit more inside BP and support local businesses at the same time. It seems to be working but these things do cost a bit more than the mass produced stuff that has been on sale previously.

As i mentioned earlier, the club still has a deal with Molson Coors to provide drinks at a cheaper price..

I agree that anything to bring more fans in to spend more money is a good thing, both for the club and the fans match day experience. I still think a less expensive, quality middle ground could be aimed for. The point about beers is an interesting one. I used to be in the pub trade many years ago and the price you paid the brewery was based on your "barrelage" ie the amount you sold. The greater the barrelage then the greater the discount. A case could be argued that if the beer was priced at a more competitive level then you would sell more thus increasing your barrelage possibly increasing your discount. Now I appreciate that the opportunities to sell beer at the Club is limited by the times it is open but it is an area that could be explored in the future.
Posted by: aldi_01, December 8, 2021, 2:35pm; Reply: 286
Quoted from Ipswin

What are you actually talking about? You literally make no point here…
Posted by: Son of Cod, December 8, 2021, 2:44pm; Reply: 287
Have managed to stay out of any of the negative threads for ages, but thought I'd dip my toes back in and open up page 29 of this and the first thing I see is Ipswin still banging on about the fucking scotch eggs months later.

[img]https://c.tenor.com/1j2id8DUaRgAAAAd/abuelo-simpson.gif[/img]
Posted by: Mayaman, December 8, 2021, 2:47pm; Reply: 288
I've obviously been abroad for too long. 4 quid for a scotch egg!!!   I'd want a T Rex egg for that.  Last time I went I got a hot chocolate.  It turned out to be a Willy Wonka one because it never got cold, which was nice because it was bitterly cold - especially for little ole me because I'm used to running around in shorts.
Posted by: ginnywings, December 8, 2021, 3:23pm; Reply: 289
Quoted from rancido

I agree that anything to bring more fans in to spend more money is a good thing, both for the club and the fans match day experience. I still think a less expensive, quality middle ground could be aimed for. The point about beers is an interesting one. I used to be in the pub trade many years ago and the price you paid the brewery was based on your "barrelage" ie the amount you sold. The greater the barrelage then the greater the discount. A case could be argued that if the beer was priced at a more competitive level then you would sell more thus increasing your barrelage possibly increasing your discount. Now I appreciate that the opportunities to sell beer at the Club is limited by the times it is open but it is an area that could be explored in the future.

Lowering the prices wouldn't result in more sales. The queue for the bar is constant from the moment it opens until it shuts. Not so full after the game ends, but the bar is always busy.

I've not been in there much as a paying customer because it is usually one in one out by the time I get to the ground, but when I have been in, I have never seen the bar staff with no one to serve.
Posted by: rancido, December 8, 2021, 4:08pm; Reply: 290
Quoted from ginnywings

Lowering the prices wouldn't result in more sales. The queue for the bar is constant from the moment it opens until it shuts. Not so full after the game ends, but the bar is always busy.

I've not been in there much as a paying customer because it is usually one in one out by the time I get to the ground, but when I have been in, I have never seen the bar staff with no one to serve.

I made that point with a view that another fan zone could be positioned adjacent to the Pontoon Stand. Now that the concept of the Fan Zone has been used and it has proved so popular then another could be installed. Two zones might reduce the need for "one in, one out" and still be busy.
Posted by: aldi_01, December 8, 2021, 4:46pm; Reply: 291
Quoted from rancido

I made that point with a view that another fan zone could be positioned adjacent to the Pontoon Stand. Now that the concept of the Fan Zone has been used and it has proved so popular then another could be installed. Two zones might reduce the need for "one in, one out" and still be busy.

I wondered this, perhaps adding a second alleviates some pressure and potentially provides an opportunity for more to utilise it.

I couldn’t give a shite about price but I don’t go in Becauee I don’t have kids and it’s always ‘one in one out’ so just go to the Blundell. I’d much rather use the fanzone but choose not to at this stage…
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, December 8, 2021, 5:04pm; Reply: 292
Scotch eggs (***) are becoming Grimsby’s version of straight bananas.

No wonder it’s so easy to indoctrinate the stupid when people become obsessed with one breadcrumb in a (round rolled) sausage fest.

There’s a f*ckin whole deli. Selling an artisan scotch egg doesn’t negatively impact the quality of the person on the counter.

*** see also, tinpot, snowflake, woke, bendy banana, Kingsley’s Black’s spunky backpack
Posted by: rancido, December 8, 2021, 5:08pm; Reply: 293
Quoted from aldi_01

I wondered this, perhaps adding a second alleviates some pressure and potentially provides an opportunity for more to utilise it.

I couldn’t give a shite about price but I don’t go in Becauee I don’t have kids and it’s always ‘one in one out’ so just go to the Blundell. I’d much rather use the fanzone but choose not to at this stage…

It must be nice to "not give a shite about the price". Different world to me.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, December 8, 2021, 5:19pm; Reply: 294
Quoted from aldi_01

Taking on board the feedback from here, I hope a second fanzone would be stocked with Carling and cheap food.
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 8, 2021, 5:29pm; Reply: 295

*** see also, tinpot, snowflake, woke, bendy banana, Kingsley’s Black’s spunky backpack

Funny you should say that, they are the words that spring to my mind when reading your ramblings.
Posted by: rancido, December 8, 2021, 5:29pm; Reply: 296
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Taking on board the feedback from here, I hope a second fanzone would be stocked with Carling and cheap food.

Obviously tongue in cheek. There are some good bitters out there and lagers. Not necessarily cheap food but maybe not as expensive. Like I mentioned in a previous post I think £4 for a Scotch egg is excessive even if the quality is better than your supermarket version.
Posted by: Abdul19, December 8, 2021, 5:41pm; Reply: 297
Scotch eggs (***) are becoming Grimsby’s version of straight bananas.

No wonder it’s so easy to indoctrinate the stupid when people become obsessed with one breadcrumb in a (round rolled) sausage fest.

There’s a f*ckin whole deli. Selling an artisan scotch egg doesn’t negatively impact the quality of the person on the counter.

And happy clappers, obvs.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, December 8, 2021, 5:45pm; Reply: 298
Quoted from Abdul19

And happy clappers, obvs.

Sorry. How can I forget us happy clappers  :)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 8, 2021, 7:31pm; Reply: 299
Quoted from rancido

You’re missing the point. Some people on this thread are moaning about performances, saying they’re not good enough and moaning about expensive beer and scotch eggs. Effectively they’re saying fancy scotch eggs don’t win you three points on a Saturday. But they can help! To make it absolutely clear, the point I made was that a busy catering facility (selling expensive stuff) is good for the club because ultimately it means more money to spend on better players (and facilities that help improve performance). Why would the club turn down such a bonanza?

I get it that it’s too expensive for some pockets. It wasn’t exactly cheap before, but it was utter garbage. I stopped getting food and drink in BP. But you don’t have to eat in the ground. No one does. You have a choice.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 8, 2021, 8:29pm; Reply: 300
Do the club make money from the external catering vendors? (Genuine question)
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, December 8, 2021, 8:32pm; Reply: 301
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I would have thought they'd have to pay the club X amount to use the facilities, water, electricity and some sort of rent for the use of the catering vans.
Posted by: DB, December 8, 2021, 10:07pm; Reply: 302

You’re missing the point. Some people on this thread are moaning about performances, saying they’re not good enough and moaning about expensive beer and scotch eggs. Effectively they’re saying fancy scotch eggs don’t win you three points on a Saturday. But they can help! To make it absolutely clear, the point I made was that a busy catering facility (selling expensive stuff) is good for the club because ultimately it means more money to spend on better players (and facilities that help improve performance). Why would the club turn down such a bonanza?

I get it that it’s too expensive for some pockets. It wasn’t exactly cheap before, but it was utter garbage. I stopped getting food and drink in BP. But you don’t have to eat in the ground. No one does. You have a choice.

Flask, sarnies, and a mars bar in the good old, old days.

Posted by: Croxton, December 9, 2021, 9:10am; Reply: 303
Quoted from DB

Flask, sarnies, and a mars bar in the good old, old days.

Old days? It's picnic central in the Upper! I will be joining the illegal party myself on Saturday.  Sarnies from Tesco pre match.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, December 9, 2021, 9:26am; Reply: 304
Being an exile its always haddock & chips before the game.
Posted by: DaleH, December 9, 2021, 3:37pm; Reply: 305
I cannot believe the amount of discussion taking place regarding a flipping Scotch Egg  :)

Surely the Scotch Egg now merits a chat topic/ thread of its own  :) :) :)

I sense that the Scotch Egg subject is a Boris Johnson style diversionary tactic to avoid the topic of Paul Hurst. I bet any minute now, Hursty will be announcing his Plan B.

You've got to love this message board for its true sense of amusement. Oh I did miss it when I wasn't allowed to be on here up until recently.

Up the Mariners
Posted by: 4055 (Guest), December 9, 2021, 4:01pm; Reply: 306
What's wrong with an English egg.🤔
Posted by: promotion plaice, December 10, 2021, 10:10pm; Reply: 307

"Hurst out  yes out"

Be careful what you wish for.

We are 6th in the table and in a play-off place.

Southend are just out of the relegation places on goal difference and have just been placed under a transfer embargo.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, December 10, 2021, 11:37pm; Reply: 308
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I when looked at the accounts a few ago, they paid the X amount per season, it was peanuts, but easy money ie club dont have to anything, in my opinion lazy.
Much better if the club took control of the catering, especially when we have bigger attendances, the club benefits, not the caterers.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 11, 2021, 8:10am; Reply: 309
Quoted from The Yard Dog

I when looked at the accounts a few ago, they paid the X amount per season, it was peanuts, but easy money ie club dont have to anything, in my opinion lazy.
Much better if the club took control of the catering, especially when we have bigger attendances, the club benefits, not the caterers.

The club runs one outlet in the ground and that’s the kiosk as you enter the Upper. Based up on that offer this season to date I’d suggest that they keep it outsourced.

A licence agreement and bringing in a 3rd party is absolutely the right way to provide catering and refreshments in an organisation like GTFC. I work in a world with a similar set up and if the fees the vendor pays to the host are set up in a correct and equitable manner then it’s the easiest money the club could make.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, December 11, 2021, 9:51am; Reply: 310
Decent catering requires decent equipment, which costs a lot of money.

I dread to think what the payback would be on the club buying everything to do it themselves when it's only open once a fortnight.
Posted by: Hagrid, December 11, 2021, 10:12am; Reply: 311
Badly Hungover. I’ll eat whatever the club has

Good news. Didnt see any players out last night
Posted by: aldi_01, December 11, 2021, 11:14am; Reply: 312
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Decent catering requires decent equipment, which costs a lot of money.

I dread to think what the payback would be on the club buying everything to do it themselves when it's only open once a fortnight.

Wasn’t this one of the original reason Fenty brought in outside caterers for match days? Not saying for a minute they did any sort of work to bring in anything of quality but it does make sense…
Posted by: barralad, December 12, 2021, 11:29am; Reply: 313
Quoted from HertsGTFC

The club runs one outlet in the ground and that’s the kiosk as you enter the Upper. Based up on that offer this season to date I’d suggest that they keep it outsourced.

A licence agreement and bringing in a 3rd party is absolutely the right way to provide catering and refreshments in an organisation like GTFC. I work in a world with a similar set up and if the fees the vendor pays to the host are set up in a correct and equitable manner then it’s the easiest money the club could make.

From the start of this season the outlet under the Findus has been outsourced to Slipway. Neither the Trust nor indeed the club run any food outlets at B.P.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 12, 2021, 11:37am; Reply: 314
Quoted from barralad

From the start of this season the outlet under the Findus has been outsourced to Slipway. Neither the Trust nor indeed the club run any food outlets at B.P.

Kristine told be different Ian after they didn't have any tea or coffee or food for the first couple of games. I'll PM you re a couple of other bits re this outlet.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 8:59am