Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 30, 2021, 8:42pm
After 82 mins England are 18 - 0 up versus Latvia.

And we thought San Marino where meaningless🤦‍♂️
Posted by: gtfcmd, November 30, 2021, 8:49pm; Reply: 1
now
Posted by: aldi_01, November 30, 2021, 8:50pm; Reply: 2
Some of the results recently in women’s internationals haven’t helped them…
Posted by: RobDef1, November 30, 2021, 8:51pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from gtfcmd
now

That goal-by-minute list on sky bet is one of the weirdest things I've ever seen ;D
Posted by: DaleH, November 30, 2021, 9:28pm; Reply: 4
I think most people would have to agree, that tonight's England game drew some interesting parallels to the game that the men's team played against San Marino. Albeit, I also feel that there are occasions where it can be even worse in the female game, in terms of occurrences where games aren't competed for by teams of fairly equal ability. There really are some pointless mismatches in world football, both men's and women's, which at times can make the games hard to watch. I think I turned the channel over after four goals were scored in no time at all.

As someone who spends a great deal of time championing women's and girls' football, there is no denying that mismatches in the sport are quite prevalent throughout, even in the top leagues. There is some superb work being done by a lot of very passionate people in the female game. As the number of female players continues to grow, even more than the huge increases we have seen in recent years, then I am sure that the equal competitiveness of games will improve, and fingers crossed we should start to see less and less mismatches. It's a numbers game really isn't it. The more girls' that start to play from a very young age, the better those players will become technically as adults, especially if the coaching resources around the female game continues to improve too, in the all-important foundation stages.  

Those girls' now, at 6 and 7 years plus, will make even more of a difference to the adult women's game in years to come, and that is something to be excited about and to get behind. That said, it would be rude to not recognise the advances in technical ability that has already taken place in the last ten years, and that is great to see. Especially when you consider that a lot of adult female players, not all of them though, actually entered the sport as participants fairly late on. Late on in comparison to what we are used to seeing in the male game. Plus, some of the conditions and support, that the female pioneers of women's football had to endure, is a stark contrast to the improvements seen in more recent years.

It's getting better and better all of the time, and I think there is a great deal to be positive about in the growth of the women's game. It's not everyone's cup of tea, I accept that. But then it's very easy for some people to be over-critical of the female game, without having a full appreciation of some of the nuances. I think tonight's game is probably an unfair benchmark to use in being critical of women's football though, when on occasions things not too dissimilar to this happen in men's international football too. Maybe the authorities need to look at the competition structures?
Posted by: forza ivano, November 30, 2021, 10:56pm; Reply: 5
And Ellen White ,Aylesbury's finest, became England's leading goalscorer.
Not a huge fan of women's football, but to add tonDale's post, Ellen, for example, is a superb athlete. My wife coached her at netball and thought she was county level, at very least, despite it not being a serious pastime for Ellen. Likewise I coached her at athletics and she could've been a bloody good 400m runner
She has worked very hard to get where she has
Posted by: Poojah, November 30, 2021, 11:09pm; Reply: 6
Australia 31-0 American Samoa. Striker Archie Thompson scored 23 - four hat tricks plus a spare one for good measure.

For context, the population of American Samoa is almost twice that of San Marino - I’m assuming football’s not that big there.

https://youtu.be/1wg9ox9F7Vw
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 30, 2021, 11:12pm; Reply: 7

HIGHLIGHTS | England hit TWENTY past Latvia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWfOWTW9iUo
Posted by: RobDef1, November 30, 2021, 11:21pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Poojah
Australia 31-0 American Samoa. Striker Archie Thompson scored 23 - four hat tricks plus a spare one for good measure.

For context, the population of American Samoa is almost twice that of San Marino - I’m assuming football’s not that big there.

I have very vague memories of my dad telling me about this game. Wasn't there some visa-type member-up and they literally had to scratch a team together of people already in aus?
Posted by: Civvy at last, November 30, 2021, 11:23pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Poojah

23 is a smidge more than 4 hat tricks mate 🤔🤔
Posted by: Poojah, November 30, 2021, 11:34pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Civvy at last

23 is a smidge more than 4 hat tricks mate 🤔🤔

Maths schmaths. He got 13 and that was a typo (still not bad going).

Right, best dig out the old dialling wand.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=npSVS9CJyPc

Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, December 1, 2021, 12:43pm; Reply: 11
To be fair, Spain beat Scotland 8-0. That wouldn't be a surprise result in the men's game.
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 1, 2021, 1:38pm; Reply: 12
Some bonkers scores over the last couple of days.

A 9-0, an 8-0 home and away win, an 11-0 home win, a 7-0 away win, and a 10-0 away win all on top of Englands ridiculous 20-0.
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 6:52pm