Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Poojah, November 30, 2021, 8:01pm
Two of the league’s in form teams meet tonight as Wrexham host in-form Yeovil. Wrexham will go above us with a win, whilst Yeovil will be just four points behind us if they take the points.

We were 18 points ahead of them a little over a month ago after we beat them at BP. Things can change quickly in football. Let’s hope for a positive change in Town’s fortunes over the coming weeks.
Posted by: RobDef1, November 30, 2021, 8:05pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from Poojah
Two of the league’s in form teams meet tonight as Wrexham host in-form Yeovil. Wrexham will go above us with a win, whilst Yeovil will be just four points behind us if they take the points.

We were 18 points ahead of them a little over a month ago after we beat them at BP. Things can change quickly in football. Let’s hope for a positive change in Town’s fortunes over the coming weeks.

Reading the start of that 2nd paragraph was anxiety inducing. So I guess we are hoping for a Yeovil win then? We definitely need some tide turning performances in the next few weeks don't we?
Posted by: Poojah, November 30, 2021, 8:22pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from RobDef1

Reading the start of that 2nd paragraph was anxiety inducing. So I guess we are hoping for a Yeovil win then? We definitely need some tide turning performances in the next few weeks don't we?

We do. The stark reality is that winning the league from here is going to be frighteningly difficult, and for me the battle becomes more about taking the best play-off position we can (finishing in positions 2 & 3 would mean you only have to win two play-off matches to go up).

It’s just so very tight now, and that cushion we had over big spending sides like Wrexham and Stockport has evaporated as they’ve found their form just as we lost ours. Taking more points than the likes of Wrexham after January was always going to be a tall order with the money they’ll spend, so I felt we had to begin that period some way ahead of them which now looks doubtful.

That’s ignoring the current front runners Chesterfield and Boreham Wood.

I comfort myself with the thought that we are already doing better than I had expected, but if the league looked a bit of a soft touch in the early weeks of the season then reality has since set in.

We can still have a great season, and we can still go up, but there’s little room for error for anyone fighting it out for promotion - not just us.
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 30, 2021, 8:26pm; Reply: 3

Wrexham down to 10 men.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 30, 2021, 8:29pm; Reply: 4
Though I think Cheltenham did it at the first time of asking (I might be wrong there) in 2016 in reality expecting us to win the league this season is probably unrealistic.

By definition when you get relegated from the EFL you’re in a mess on the pitch and probably off it, Town ticked both boxes.

Then you go into a leagues with a number of clubs who have been building teams and infrastructure over in some cases what can be many years to get promoted. Since we where last in this place it seems like the ones who have been building have much bigger budgets & resources to lean on.
Posted by: RobDef1, November 30, 2021, 8:30pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Poojah

We do. The stark reality is that winning the league from here is going to be frighteningly difficult, and for me the battle becomes more about taking the best play-off position we can (finishing in positions 2 & 3 would mean you only have to win two play-off matches to go up).

It’s just so very tight now, and that cushion we had over big spending sides like Wrexham and Stockport has evaporated as they’ve found their form just as we lost ours. Taking more points than the likes of Wrexham after January was always going to be a tall order with the money they’ll spend, so I felt we had to begin that period some way ahead of them which now looks doubtful.

That’s ignoring the current front runners Chesterfield and Boreham Wood.

I comfort myself with the thought that we are already doing better than I had expected, but if the league looked a bit of a soft touch in the early weeks of the season then reality has since set in.

We can still have a great season, and we can still go up, but there’s little room for error for anyone fighting it out for promotion - not just us.

Agreed. As many have said, most of us got a bit ahead of ourselves with the start we had, myself included. That is all but out the window now, and will count for nothing if we completely bin these next 5 games. Having said that, we are in a better position than I was realistically hoping for at this stage. Very interesting Christmas period incoming. I would love to see us win the league, just can't really see that happening. 2nd/3rd would be a real achievement in my eyes, but I would happily settle for any play-off place. There are so many teams going for it this year and before a ball was kicked I was more looking towards the consolidation route (for this season)
Posted by: Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, November 30, 2021, 9:15pm; Reply: 6
Wrexham losing
Posted by: aldi_01, November 30, 2021, 9:36pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from RobDef1

Agreed. As many have said, most of us got a bit ahead of ourselves with the start we had, myself included. That is all but out the window now, and will count for nothing if we completely bin these next 5 games. Having said that, we are in a better position than I was realistically hoping for at this stage. Very interesting Christmas period incoming. I would love to see us win the league, just can't really see that happening. 2nd/3rd would be a real achievement in my eyes, but I would happily settle for any play-off place. There are so many teams going for it this year and before a ball was kicked I was more looking towards the consolidation route (for this season)

People will claim it’s having low expectations blah blah but to be honest, top 5 would be an achievement given the state of the squad and the club.

Anyone that assumed we’d bounce straight back must’ve been living in cloud cuckoo.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, November 30, 2021, 9:38pm; Reply: 8
Going to be 8 points covering the top 10 tonight. Must be the strongest National League there has been?
Posted by: oochiad, November 30, 2021, 9:41pm; Reply: 9
0-2 to Yeovil
Posted by: DB, November 30, 2021, 9:47pm; Reply: 10
I don't follow women's football, but as I scrolled down the BBC fixtures & results for Wrexham, I saw the England women beat Latvia 20 - 0. I think this must be a record for any match.
Posted by: Heisenberg, November 30, 2021, 9:47pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Going to be 8 points covering the top 10 tonight. Must be the strongest National League there has been?

Or maybe the weakest?
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, November 30, 2021, 9:57pm; Reply: 12
Doesn't look the weakest to me by a long stretch.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 30, 2021, 10:08pm; Reply: 13
He just trying to introduce a bit of uncertainty again. Does it on principle.
Posted by: RobDef1, November 30, 2021, 10:38pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from aldi_01

People will claim it’s having low expectations blah blah but to be honest, top 5 would be an achievement given the state of the squad and the club.

Anyone that assumed we’d bounce straight back must’ve been living in cloud cuckoo.

Well admittedly I do like to flirt with cloud cuckoo (don't tell her I said that) but no, 25 years supporting town has taught me not to expect too much.
Posted by: Poojah, November 30, 2021, 10:39pm; Reply: 15
One thing I would say is that our win against Yeovil last month just before our bad run started, looks better on reflection than it did at the time. I thought they looked quite accomplished for a team so lowly in the table; these are their results since (Yeovil scores first):

2-0 Woking (H)
0-0 Solihull (A)
2-1 Eastleigh (H)
1-0 Dagenham (A)
2-1 Bromley (A)
1-1 Dover (H)
2-0 Wrexham

A run of results slightly tainted by a failure to beat Dover, but 5 wins and 2 draws out of 7, including 3 consecutive away wins at Dagenham, Bromley and Wrexham is mightily impressive.

With key players returning to fitness and the addition of Bell and Maguire-Drew, I'm actually feeling a bit better about our forthcoming run of games.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, December 1, 2021, 12:06am; Reply: 16
A tough division this year.  Look at the investment at Wrexham and Stockport.  Both have struggled in the early part of the season.
Posted by: Heisenberg, December 1, 2021, 1:19am; Reply: 17
Quoted from KingstonMariner
He just trying to introduce a bit of uncertainty again. Does it on principle.

I’m unsure whether you’re referring to me or not, but all I was pointing out is there is no one dominant team ploughing it’s way to the title (a la Crawley or Fleetwood etc), which suggests to me it’s an average season in comparison. Nothing murky or sarcastic intended.
Posted by: 137 (Guest), December 1, 2021, 1:28am; Reply: 18
Quoted from Heisenberg

I’m unsure whether you’re referring to me or not, but all I was pointing out is there is no one dominant team ploughing it’s way to the title (a la Crawley or Fleetwood etc), which suggests to me it’s an average season in comparison. Nothing murky or sarcastic intended.

I believe KM was making a play with words because of your username, m8.
Posted by: lukeo, December 1, 2021, 6:05am; Reply: 19
England ladies - Latvia lost their last game 20-0 I believe, I want to say against Germany without looking it up?

Grimsby - for me we should be aiming for a top 3 but settle for top 5 (7 at a push) ... Anything less than 7th for me is failure.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 1, 2021, 10:48am; Reply: 20
Quoted from 137

I believe KM was making a play with words because of your username, m8.

Correct. I should add smilies in future to make it clear I’m joshing. 😔

No offence intended Heisenberg.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, December 1, 2021, 12:16pm; Reply: 21
Interesting result last night but I said after the Yeovil game that I thought they were a decent team and better than Wrexham so no surprises there. Their recent form against teams expected to be up there suggests our result against them was a good one too.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 1, 2021, 1:57pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Interesting result last night but I said after the Yeovil game that I thought they were a decent team and better than Wrexham so no surprises there. Their recent form against teams expected to be up there suggests our result against them was a good one too.

Yeovil we’re just a bit crap in both boxes in our game.
Posted by: Heisenberg, December 1, 2021, 2:21pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Correct. I should add smilies in future to make it clear I’m joshing. 😔

No offence intended Heisenberg.

Hey, none taken, I’m just disappointed I didn’t notice it!
Posted by: White_shorts, December 1, 2021, 3:59pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from DB
I don't follow women's football, but as I scrolled down the BBC fixtures & results for Wrexham, I saw the England women beat Latvia 20 - 0. I think this must be a record for any match.

The record is Arbroath 36 Bon Accord 0 in 1885.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbroath_36%E2%80%930_Bon_Accord

Posted by: Maringer, December 1, 2021, 5:14pm; Reply: 25
Men's international record is 31-0. Australia versus American Samoa, I think?
Posted by: DB, December 1, 2021, 6:16pm; Reply: 26
Thanks very much for the info, 20 - 0 is still pretty good for an England team. 8)
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 1, 2021, 6:39pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from White_shorts

The record is Arbroath 36 Bon Accord 0 in 1885.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbroath_36%E2%80%930_Bon_Accord

And on the same day Dundee Harp beat Aberdeen Rovers 35-0.

The referee on the day noted 37 goals but Dundee Harp's secretary only noted 35 which went down as the official score.
Posted by: Davec, December 1, 2021, 6:53pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Les Brechin

And on the same day Dundee Harp beat Aberdeen Rovers 35-0.

The referee on the day noted 37 goals but Dundee Harp's secretary only noted 35 which went down as the official score.

Was you at the game Les? how many goals did you count? ;)
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 1, 2021, 9:10pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Davec

Was you at the game Les? how many goals did you count? ;)

I had to leave at half-time when it was 15-0.  ;)
Posted by: golfer, December 2, 2021, 8:20am; Reply: 30
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

or the weakest
Posted by: ska face, December 2, 2021, 9:13am; Reply: 31
Quoted from golfer

or the weakest

Yeah, plenty of times previously where players have dropped down from captaining league 1 clubs to play in the conference. League 2’s top scorer last season now in the conference. Madden playing top half of League 1, now in the conference. Captain of League 2 Champions now in the conference. Captain of 3rd place promotion winners in League 2 now in the conference.

None of these players are even in the top 6 so far.
Posted by: Poojah, December 2, 2021, 12:13pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from ska face

Yeah, plenty of times previously where players have dropped down from captaining league 1 clubs to play in the conference. League 2’s top scorer last season now in the conference. Madden playing top half of League 1, now in the conference. Captain of League 2 Champions now in the conference. Captain of 3rd place promotion winners in League 2 now in the conference.

None of these players are even in the top 6 so far.

Both Crawley and Fleetwood had some pretty talented mercenaries in their ranks, several of whom had dropped down from League One and of course in the case of the latter, a major upcoming talent in the shape of a young Jamie Vardy.

The difference was then though that they were very much unique cases and both won the league at an absolute canter. That won’t happen this season because the distribution of wealth is more widespread; Wrexham and Stockport are unprecedentedly minted, Chesterfield have got their insurance windfall, Notts County are getting the odd 5-figure gate and then you’ve got the likes of Boreham Wood and Bromley who are very well backed for smaller, less traditional clubs. Woking too I believe have a record budget this season.

I would imagine if you were to sum up total spends for player transfers and wages in this division this year, it would be far and away higher than anything that’s gone before, even allowing for inflation.

I doubt there’s ever been a more competitive fifth tier division.
Posted by: Heisenberg, December 2, 2021, 12:24pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Poojah

Both Crawley and Fleetwood had some pretty talented mercenaries in their ranks, several of whom had dropped down from League One and of course in the case of the latter, a major upcoming talent in the shape of a young Jamie Vardy.

The difference was then though that they were very much unique cases and both won the league at an absolute canter. That won’t happen this season because the distribution of wealth is more widespread; Wrexham and Stockport are unprecedentedly minted, Chesterfield have got their insurance windfall, Notts County are getting the odd 5-figure gate and then you’ve got the likes of Boreham Wood and Bromley who are very well backed for smaller, less traditional clubs. Woking too I believe have a record budget this season.

I would imagine if you were to sum up total spends for player transfers and wages in this division this year, it would be far and away higher than anything that’s gone before, even allowing for inflation.

I doubt there’s ever been a more competitive fifth tier division.

So in summary, we’re f#cked then?
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 3:40am