Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Mariner16, November 23, 2021, 1:00pm
https://www.countytimes.co.uk/news/19735464.newetowns-ryan-sears-banned-road-drink-driving/

Banned for drink driving. Was in court today so is this why he isn't in the 16 for matchdays?
Posted by: Grantley, November 23, 2021, 1:07pm; Reply: 1
Three times over the limit. Idiot.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, November 23, 2021, 1:12pm; Reply: 2
Night of the Yeovil game and less than 72 hours before the Wealdstone game. Pretty drunk at 4am. Suspect that went down really well with the management.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, November 23, 2021, 1:20pm; Reply: 3
I suspect he won't play for us again
Posted by: Hagrid, November 23, 2021, 1:20pm; Reply: 4
stupid stupid bloke. no sympathy with that

hurst will be furious
Posted by: HerveJosse, November 23, 2021, 1:22pm; Reply: 5
One bell end one new Bell . Ups and downs
Posted by: ska face, November 23, 2021, 1:24pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Southwark Mariner

Why?
Posted by: Hagrid, November 23, 2021, 1:24pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Grantley
Three times over the limit. Idiot.

how can anyone red cross that. The man endangered his own and more importantly others lives.
Posted by: rancido, November 23, 2021, 1:32pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Hagrid

how can anyone red cross that. The man endangered his own and more importantly others lives.

They red crossed it because some people think drink - driving is acceptable.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, November 23, 2021, 1:38pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from ska face

Why?

Previous players who suddenly stopped playing only for us to find out why much later.

It might be my memory but fairly sure Rob Eagle and whoever was the player at the infamous bbq.

The new owners might also have some input as I doubt drink driving is something matching their philosophy for how the club fits into the community.
Posted by: Abdul19, November 23, 2021, 1:38pm; Reply: 10

Aye, Rob Eagle and Scott Brown were shipped out pretty soon after their bans (I think)
Posted by: Mariner16, November 23, 2021, 1:47pm; Reply: 11
I'd not be surprised to see him go to somewhere like Chester or Hereford as he still lives in Newtown by the looks of things.
Posted by: Poojah, November 23, 2021, 1:47pm; Reply: 12
Is drink driving a more serious offence than being nutted by Stefan Payne? I too suspect that this won’t end well for young Ryan.

Shame, as I thought he looked a good prospect in the games he played - we only conceded 1 goal with Sears and another 10 players on the pitch.
Posted by: It Bites, November 23, 2021, 1:49pm; Reply: 13
He's a simpleton
Posted by: jamesgtfc, November 23, 2021, 1:51pm; Reply: 14
Absolutely no sympathy and I don't want to see him play for us again. It doesn't represent the values we are supposed to stand for.
Posted by: HerveJosse, November 23, 2021, 1:53pm; Reply: 15
Interesting to see it went to court in Wales rather then here despite being committed in Cleethorpes and presumambly having an address here. Someone trying to keep out the papers? Cost Elliott his scoop anyway!
Posted by: jamesgtfc, November 23, 2021, 1:53pm; Reply: 16

Previous players who suddenly stopped playing only for us to find out why much later.

It might be my memory but fairly sure Rob Eagle and whoever was the player at the infamous bbq.

The new owners might also have some input as I doubt drink driving is something matching their philosophy for how the club fits into the community.

Scott Brown is the one who left his number plate behind.
Posted by: aldi_01, November 23, 2021, 1:53pm; Reply: 17
Did he ask if he could still drive his horse box?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, November 23, 2021, 1:56pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from HerveJosse
Interesting to see it went to court in Wales rather then here despite being committed in Cleethorpes and presumambly having an address here. Someone trying to keep out the papers? Cost Elliott his scoop anyway!

You've interpreted it that way but a quick Google seems to confirm it was heard locally. Welsh media seemingly know what is happening in this town more than us.

[url]https://www.google.com/search?q=judge+harte+magistrate+grimsby&sxsrf=AOaemvKyy1MaQfLDzvTIrWetTZEqvOkjJw%3A1637675549462&ei=HfKcYZfYG9OV8gKOs4HIDA&oq=judge+harte+magistrate+&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAEYADIFCCEQoAE6BAgAEEdQohhYohhg5CBoAHABeACAAXyIAXySAQMwLjGYAQCgAQHIAQjAAQE&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp[/url]
Posted by: acko338, November 23, 2021, 2:02pm; Reply: 19
I wonder if any changes were made to conduct unbecoming of a pro footballer went into contracts issued after the BBQ fiasco.

Obviously an HR conditions issue, but Paul Hurst will be on this as non conducive to player harmony and team spirit - pardon the alcohol pun reference.

Can this criminal offence be classed as gross misconduct?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 23, 2021, 2:09pm; Reply: 20
Drink driving isn't acceptable, don't get me wrong, but I'd be surprised if all of the posters castigating Sears haven't got in the car having had half a lager too many. Three times over the limit is bloody stupid however.
Posted by: Chrisblor, November 23, 2021, 2:13pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from jamesgtfc

You've interpreted it that way but a quick Google seems to confirm it was heard locally. Welsh media seemingly know what is happening in this town more than us.

[url]https://www.google.com/search?q=judge+harte+magistrate+grimsby&sxsrf=AOaemvKyy1MaQfLDzvTIrWetTZEqvOkjJw%3A1637675549462&ei=HfKcYZfYG9OV8gKOs4HIDA&oq=judge+harte+magistrate+&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAEYADIFCCEQoAE6BAgAEEdQohhYohhg5CBoAHABeACAAXyIAXySAQMwLjGYAQCgAQHIAQjAAQE&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp[/url]

Yeah I've just checked the court listings and the case was heard at Grimsby and Cleethorpes Court House at 10am this morning.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 23, 2021, 2:14pm; Reply: 22
Is he living in the area? Because if he wasn’t before then it might be an idea to start looking around and think about buying a pushbike!

No sympathy whatsoever with whatever comes his way. Am hoping though, that it can be put behind him and he learns from the fu(k up
Posted by: Son of Cod, November 23, 2021, 2:17pm; Reply: 23
He's an idiot for doing it and I can't condone what he's done obviously and I don't know much about his character, but people make mistakes and learn from them. Guarantee that most people here have done stupid things and not been sacked for them, I know have and I know I've done them at a much older age than Sears right now. Got to put us faith in Hurst's judgement here.
Posted by: HerveJosse, November 23, 2021, 2:25pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I stand corrected
Powys County News must be the new Washington Post
Posted by: The Yard Dog, November 23, 2021, 2:41pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Drink driving isn't acceptable, don't get me wrong, but I'd be surprised if all of the posters castigating Sears haven't got in the car having had half a lager too many. Three times over the limit is bloody stupid however.

If I am going out for a drink, I leave the car up the drive. When we go out for a meal never have a alcholic drink, that way I know that I am under the limit.
I have to be careful at Christmas I am quite partial to Christmas cake and pudding laced with brandy.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, November 23, 2021, 2:47pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It was at 4am so it wasn't a mistake. It's not like he slept and woke up feeling fine so naively got behind the wheel.

My views may be extreme to some but I stand by them. Absolutely no excuse.
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, November 23, 2021, 3:35pm; Reply: 27
Absolute idiot.. think the club will have a very dim view on this.. however can't see why he can't come out apologise etc he's been punished by the court and play for Town again.. young lad made a mistake albeit a very bad one.. as long as he learns from it.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, November 23, 2021, 3:38pm; Reply: 28
Richard Keogh (ex Derby Co, now Blackpool) was sacked for being a passenger of his inebriated teammate during a crash.

He later sued Derby for breach of contract and won...

[url]https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/01/richard-keogh-waking-up-paramedics-car-crash-derby-sacking-blackpool[/url]
Posted by: Civvy at last, November 23, 2021, 3:38pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Stand by for a lazy copy and paste job from our ‘local’ reporter,
Now that this is on here 😉
Posted by: jamesgtfc, November 23, 2021, 3:43pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Civvy at last

Stand by for a lazy copy and paste job from our ‘local’ reporter,
Now that this is on here 😉

I think Grimsby Live are having trouble locating either the Ctrl, C or V key on their keyboards as an article hasn't surfaced yet.
Posted by: ginnywings, November 23, 2021, 3:44pm; Reply: 31
Knobhead!
Posted by: Poojah, November 23, 2021, 3:48pm; Reply: 32
Richard Keogh (ex Derby Co, now Blackpool) was sacked for being a passenger of his inebriated teammate during a crash.

He later sued Derby for breach of contract and won...

[url]https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/01/richard-keogh-waking-up-paramedics-car-crash-derby-sacking-blackpool[/url]

Derby properly fúcked up on that one though. Keogh was 33, and having seriously injured his knee and potentially having ended his career, Derby simply didn’t want to continue to pay his wages, and as such sacked him for gross misconduct.

The other players involved, including the two drivers convicted of drunk driving, were much younger and therefore worth collectively millions to the club. None were sacked.

When you selectively apply concepts like gross misconduct like that, you’re always going to be on dodgy ground.

I share the opinion of some others that here’s a young lad who’s dropped a serious bollóck, been punished and will now suffer through a combination of a driving ban, fine and substantial community service. He wasn’t on club time when it happened, and so he should probably be given a punishment by the club which stops short of him losing his job.

I’m just not sure the club, given its newfound commitment to upholding the highest moral and social values, will necessarily see things the same way. I suspect it may come down to how transparent he’s been with them over it.  
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, November 23, 2021, 3:51pm; Reply: 33
Didn’t realise GTFC had so many fans who have never driven after a few bevvies.  I’m a lot older than Ryan and have been known to had more than two pints and driven.

I’m not condoning what he did but it’s what he does on the pitch and his general demeniour  which should determine his future rather than I’ll informed rants on the fishy.
Posted by: Mayaman, November 23, 2021, 4:11pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I think Grimsby Live are having trouble locating either the Ctrl, C or V key on their keyboards as an article hasn't surfaced yet.

They're looking for the, 'tragic' key.  It figures in almost every headline.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 23, 2021, 4:14pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from jamesgtfc

It was at 4am so it wasn't a mistake. It's not like he slept and woke up feeling fine so naively got behind the wheel.

My views may be extreme to some but I stand by them. Absolutely no excuse.

Read the post again. Three times over is stupid but please don't pretend you've never broken the law - speeding, driving without a seatbelt, driving whilst holding a mobile etc. The lad has screwed up and I'm sure he doesn't need The Fishy to tell him.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, November 23, 2021, 4:29pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Read the post again. Three times over is stupid but please don't pretend you've never broken the law - speeding, driving without a seatbelt, driving whilst holding a mobile etc. The lad has screwed up and I'm sure he doesn't need The Fishy to tell him.

The big difference is that he's supposed to be a role model and somebody that the community looks up to. There is also a huge difference between getting in the car at 4am and doing it the next day whilst still over the limit. It's on a similar level of stupidity to hosting a gender reveal party in the middle of a national lockdown.

I'm not professing to be a saint but there is a huge difference between getting in a car at 4am after a night on the ale and doing 34 in a 30 which is why one results in a few points on your licence and the other results in an automatic driving ban.
Posted by: Grantley, November 23, 2021, 4:34pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Where are you drawing the line then? Would it take him killing someone to make it worthy of this thread?
Posted by: chipsandgravy, November 23, 2021, 4:47pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Didn’t realise GTFC had so many fans who have never driven after a few bevvies.  I’m a lot older than Ryan and have been known to had more than two pints and driven.

I’m not condoning what he did but it’s what he does on the pitch and his general demeniour  which should determine his future rather than I’ll informed rants on the fishy.

Dear God.
"General Demeanour" what a crock of ****.

The world is full of drink drivers that have killed pedestrians including children. Three times over the limit and getting in a vehicle is neither a mistake or poor judgement its totally reckless footballer or not.
Posted by: HerveJosse, November 23, 2021, 4:52pm; Reply: 39
Looking back he featured the three games subsequent to the incident then disappeared from the squad for the Aldershot and Southend games which may indicate when the club became aware and there attitude to the incident.
Posted by: lukeo, November 23, 2021, 4:52pm; Reply: 40
I very rarely drink but do you know what I think if someone has a couple then drives a few hours later In my opinion I think that's OK. But to be 3 times over is absolutely disgusting.
NO excuses.

If driven before after 2 pints of shandy and that then made me worry.
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, November 23, 2021, 5:00pm; Reply: 41
I appreciate being a professional footballer is a job.

And players are entitled to a private life etc,

But a couple of issues. One clearly is being guilty of drink driving which no-one can condone. This is not 30 yrs ago when a lot did it. You are endangering lives and there is no excuse in todays society. We should all have been educated enough to be aware of the danger. The fact he seemed to have been so over the legal limit is also damning . Shows a complete lack of self awareness or responsibility.

That it happened when it did and so close to games again shows a complete lack of respect for himself, the game, the club and the fans. It is his job to be in the best physical shape to play. Being excrement faced in the early hrs doesnt quite cut it.

Posted by: pontoonlew, November 23, 2021, 5:05pm; Reply: 42
The fact he played in between this shows me we might show some leniency and keep him, I’m sure he’ll pay for his mistakes in many ways
Posted by: Ipswin, November 23, 2021, 5:05pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Absolutely no sympathy and I don't want to see him play for us again. It doesn't represent the values we are supposed to stand for.

It would be a great shame if this ends his time with GTFC I thought he was promising and personally I preferred him to Efete.

Be interesting to see if the knives would be as far out and the noose tied so quickly if say McAteer, Clifton or another Town hero similarly copulated up

Bloody stupid thing to do but surely even Hurst and the new management team can allow a relatively young fella  one mistake

Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 23, 2021, 5:18pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from jamesgtfc

The big difference is that he's supposed to be a role model and somebody that the community looks up to. There is also a huge difference between getting in the car at 4am and doing it the next day whilst still over the limit. It's on a similar level of stupidity to hosting a gender reveal party in the middle of a national lockdown.

I'm not professing to be a saint but there is a huge difference between getting in a car at 4am after a night on the ale and doing 34 in a 30 which is why one results in a few points on your licence and the other results in an automatic driving ban.

Since when did professional footballers act like role models? He’s a young lad that’s made a serious mistake that he’ll regret the rest of his life. He doesn’t need me or you to be judge and jury.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, November 23, 2021, 5:19pm; Reply: 45
He’s from Newtown in Powys ? I genuinely feel sorry for him .
Posted by: Davec, November 23, 2021, 5:22pm; Reply: 46
I have little time for drink drivers and I have seen some people on social media being quite vocal and forcefultrying to play it down by calling it a 'little mistake"

One of my best mates was involved in an accident caused by a drink driver, he was very nearly killed, he is very lucky to be alive, he was left with serious head injuries and was in coma for 3 months, now 3 years on he has permanent brain damage, he has actually do extraordinary well and recovered to a degree that has even surprised the doctors, and he is able to live a largely very independent life and able to work etc etc, however having said that there is still some brain damage which is permanent.

So maybe my opinion and feelings are tainted by what happened to my best mate but I feel drink driving is more than just a "little mistake"
Posted by: Hagrid, November 23, 2021, 5:27pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Davec
I have little time for drink drivers and I have seen some people on social media being quite vocal and forcefultrying to play it down by calling it a 'little mistake"

One of my best mates was involved in an accident caused by a drink driver, he was very nearly killed, he is very lucky to be alive, he was left with serious head injuries and was in coma for 3 months, now 3 years on he has permanent brain damage, he has actually do extraordinary well and recovered to a degree that has even surprised the doctors, and he is able to live a largely very independent life and able to work etc etc, however having said that there is still some brain damage which is permanent.

So maybe my opinion and feelings are tainted by what happened to my best mate but I feel drink driving is more than just a "little mistake"

dont think they are tainted opinions at all Arron, drink drivers are scum
Posted by: smokey111, November 23, 2021, 6:11pm; Reply: 48
Don't care if it was Macatee, Clifton or Sears. One thing I am convinced about Hurst is that they would be treated the same. Time and time again he talks of spirit, discipline and attitude.
Posted by: Ipswin, November 23, 2021, 6:16pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from smokey111
Don't care if it was Macatee, Clifton or Sears. One thing I am convinced about Hurst is that they would be treated the same. Time and time again he talks of spirit, discipline and attitude.

I was asking about the attitude of those on here, not that of Hurst, if a more popular player had been as stupid
Posted by: smokey111, November 23, 2021, 6:20pm; Reply: 50
I know. I would imagine there would be more leniency. The example is Scannell is apparently stealing a living, whilst poor Max Wright's body is letting him down.
Posted by: Zmariner, November 23, 2021, 6:42pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from Hagrid

dont think they are tainted opinions at all Arron, drink drivers are scum

I know a couple of people who have been marginally over. They were made a mistake but were not scum.
I am a very moderate drinker as never liked alcohol and so easy for me . We have all made mistakes, the trick is to learn from them. A bad mistake but I certainly would not take his career from him for this. Make an apology, knuckle down and do your best
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 23, 2021, 7:02pm; Reply: 52
Bad thing to do. Not just the danger it puts people in, but also as someone else said, not taking care of his health in the season. Serious stuff.

But, we don’t know all the circumstances and he is still a young man. Not an easy call to make. I’m glad I’m not his boss.
Posted by: chaos33, November 23, 2021, 7:10pm; Reply: 53
Avoiding joining in the judgement whirlpool, what concerns me is that this player had looked really good for us, and now we are lacking cover in that position and will presumably need another right back of similar or better quality, which could be really tricky to find.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 23, 2021, 7:29pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from ska face

Why?

Because he’s committed a criminal offence …… just sayin.
Posted by: smokey111, November 23, 2021, 7:39pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from chaos33
Avoiding joining in the judgement whirlpool, what concerns me is that this player had looked really good for us, and now we are lacking cover in that position and will presumably need another right back of similar or better quality, which could be really tricky to find.

Whatever the club decide to do the above should be totally irrelevant.
Posted by: davmariner, November 23, 2021, 11:00pm; Reply: 56
I’m not a fan of all this cancel culture and throwing people under the bus (especially a young man who has made a bad mistake).

That said, he’s committed a criminal offence and if we are talking about a change in values at the club, then it should be dealt with/investigated with a view to ending his contract and quietly helping him find another club. Important to send a message both to the players and to young fans, that this behaviour isn’t acceptable.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, November 23, 2021, 11:02pm; Reply: 57
Interesting in the post match interview tonight when Hurst wouldn't confirm if he would be remaining at the club.

I think we need a new right back.
Posted by: DB, November 24, 2021, 7:12am; Reply: 58
Unfortunately, Ryan has not realised what a privileged position in life he has made for himself. Doing reasonably well at work, at a new club with new owners and new ethics. Then at 4.00 am, after a skin full he decides to go for a drive, what on earth was he thinking about, certainly not his future prospects.

Nobody can condone what he did, nor any drink driver. Give Hursts record on discipline, the new ethics in the club, and wanting a new community lead club; I think his days here are numbered. There is a decent footballer in him but he has let himself down, the community down, his teammates down, and the club.

I hope he has learned his lesson and moves on to do well as a footballer.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 24, 2021, 7:28am; Reply: 59
Quoted from DB
Unfortunately, Ryan has not realised what a privileged position in life he has made for himself. Doing reasonably well at work, at a new club with new owners and new ethics. Then at 4.00 am, after a skin full he decides to go for a drive, what on earth was he thinking about, certainly not his future prospects.

Nobody can condone what he did, nor any drink driver. Give Hursts record on discipline, the new ethics in the club, and wanting a new community lead club; I think his days here are numbered. There is a decent footballer in him but he has let himself down, the community down, his teammates down, and the club.

I hope he has learned his lesson and moves on to do well as a footballer.

No one condones what he’s done but to say he’s privileged to play non league football?
Posted by: Ipswin, November 24, 2021, 10:14am; Reply: 60
Quoted from davmariner

it should be dealt with/investigated with a view to ending his contract and quietly helping him find another club. Important to send a message both to the players and to young fans, that this behaviour isn’t acceptable.

That's really going to help the lad get another club isn't it.

I can see the advert now, 'Young promising full-back sacked for drink driving requires club preferably within walking distance of home'

Posted by: Nelly GTFC, November 24, 2021, 11:43am; Reply: 61
Probally get booted out of Grimsby Town, sign for Chesterfield within a week and next season playing regular football in League Two, that's life.
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, November 24, 2021, 11:51am; Reply: 62
Think I would think more of the club with all this commitment to #greater together etc they keep talking about.. if they admit he had made a mistake etc only a 22 year old lad and work with him to be part of the club rather than just bin him off..
Posted by: LondonMariner43, November 24, 2021, 12:03pm; Reply: 63
This is very disappointing.

No professional sportsman should be out at 4am ever.  This will 100% impact on performance whether it’s at training or in a match.  If other players are also doing this then it’s no surprise that form has dipped.

No professional sportsman should be drinking alcohol and definitely not more than 1-2 units.  Again it will impact performance.  Yes players drank in the past but it just isn’t acceptable.

Finally, he has committed a serious crime.

This isn’t a ‘silly mistake’.  It’s a complete failure in his commitment to his job and he has to go.  If this is part of a wider issue at the club then Hurst needs to act now.

Massively disappointed by this.
Posted by: Hagrid, November 24, 2021, 12:05pm; Reply: 64
Hurst wouldnt comment on it much last night but i believe he has played his last game for the club
Posted by: mimma, November 24, 2021, 12:05pm; Reply: 65
Couple of points, do you know of someone you work with that have been convicted of DD, and have been sacked? ( other than those whose job involves driving). If we get rid he will get snapped up by another club and play again, while we end up short of a player. He has been punished by the courts, that is their job. He isn't local so the ban will be a massive inconvenience to him and he will suffer again when he tries to insure another car. Is sacking him as well really the right thing to do just because he happens to be a professional football player?
Posted by: LondonMariner43, November 24, 2021, 1:54pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from mimma
Couple of points, do you know of someone you work with that have been convicted of DD, and have been sacked? ( other than those whose job involves driving). If we get rid he will get snapped up by another club and play again, while we end up short of a player. He has been punished by the courts, that is their job. He isn't local so the ban will be a massive inconvenience to him and he will suffer again when he tries to insure another car. Is sacking him as well really the right thing to do just because he happens to be a professional football player?

Yes.  Even if he hadn't committed a crime its ridiculously unprofessional to be out boozing until 4am in the morning and if that's the way players are recovering after a game it needs to be addressed pronto.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 24, 2021, 2:17pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from LondonMariner43

Yes.  Even if he hadn't committed a crime its ridiculously unprofessional to be out boozing until 4am in the morning and if that's the way players are recovering after a game it needs to be addressed pronto.

I find it hard to believe that everyone on here seems not to have done something stupid in their early 20's. Hurst said in an earlier interview that Sears had struggled to settle in the area. Yes, he's done wrong, there's no escaping that but maybe better to put a proverbial arm round him and give him a second chance.
Posted by: mimma, November 24, 2021, 2:25pm; Reply: 68
You can't just get rid of a player because he has got drunk, if we go down that road then there will be hundreds of ex professional footballers out of work. For a start they haven't broken any of their contract since I doubt there is a clause banning drinking. Remember Gallimore, everyone knew of his drinking, but he still turned up and did the business.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, November 24, 2021, 2:30pm; Reply: 69
Ideally, the Club should have HR policies on dealing with players and criminal behaviour.  They can then be consistent, fair and reduce the risk of any legal action being taken.

Maybe the CE can take this forward after dealing with other pressing issues.
Posted by: Ruston AT, November 24, 2021, 2:31pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
Think I would think more of the club with all this commitment to #greater together etc they keep talking about.. if they admit he had made a mistake etc only a 22 year old lad and work with him to be part of the club rather than just bin him off..

Sense spoken at last.
Posted by: LondonMariner43, November 24, 2021, 2:41pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I find it hard to believe that everyone on here seems not to have done something stupid in their early 20's. Hurst said in an earlier interview that Sears had struggled to settle in the area. Yes, he's done wrong, there's no escaping that but maybe better to put a proverbial arm round him and give him a second chance.

I don't think many people on here were professional footballers in their 20s.
Posted by: HerveJosse, November 24, 2021, 2:43pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from mimma
You can't just get rid of a player because he has got drunk, if we go down that road then there will be hundreds of ex professional footballers out of work. For a start they haven't broken any of their contract since I doubt there is a clause banning drinking. Remember Gallimore, everyone knew of his drinking, but he still turned up and did the business.

Yes you can because he has committed a serious criminal offence and gross misconduct both of which will be covered in any competent employment contract. There will be an internal procedure to follow which is probably why the club has said nothing and we had to rely on Powys County News to know about it. The club will be able to ditch him if they choose to .Whether they will or. It is to be seen but highly likely. Three times over the limit is more then just a young lad taking a chance and making a bad choice. I wonder if anyone else from the club was with him at the time.
Posted by: rancido, November 24, 2021, 2:47pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from MuddyWaters

No one condones what he’s done but to say he’s privileged to play non league football?

Certainly privileged to be a professional footballer. It's not like some job you are forced to do to earn a living. Professional footballers are doing a job they obviously love and want to do. They get paid, in general, more than your average guy on the street, even if it is a relatively short career.
Posted by: Ipswin, November 24, 2021, 3:47pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from HerveJosse

I wonder if anyone else from the club was with him at the time.

I would think it highly likely as fellow employees at the club are probably the only people he knows in the area

Posted by: rancido, November 24, 2021, 3:55pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Does that mean that only professional footballers can get done for DD? Or is a young lad who might be struggling with being away from home immune from a bit of TLC?

FFS ! I can imagine your reaction if a member of your family was injured or killed by a DD three times over the limit and his defence was " I was struggling with being away from home and I needed a bit of TLC ". I know nobody was injured or killed in this instance but the principal remains the same regardless of what profession they are in. I could understand just over the limit but three times over is some serious necking it down and a lot of TLC required.
Posted by: LondonMariner43, November 24, 2021, 4:47pm; Reply: 76
Hearing this news alongside the recent dip in form makes me worry about what is going in the squad and potentially explains some of Hurst's comments about players not living up to his expectations etc etc.  Why has a team that was on fire a few weeks ago gone off the boil?  Yes, we have had injuries, but the intensity has dropped.  Its easy to imagine a situation where some of the squad are out boozing/ late nights etc and off form as a result, news of this incident gets out, others in the squad are annoyed at being let down by their colleagues and within weeks you can go from a harmonious, successful side to a unhappy, unsuccessful side.  Its not the fault of the manager but, if that's the case, PH has a big challenge now to turn things around.
Posted by: Ipswin, November 24, 2021, 4:55pm; Reply: 77
  Its easy to imagine a situation where some of the squad are out boozing/ late nights etc .

Not too many I hope if Hurst is going to sack all the players who go drinking. We haven't got the depth in the squad we initially thought if enough get drunk and sacked we might not be able to put out a team.

Posted by: pen penfras, November 24, 2021, 5:21pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from rancido

Certainly privileged to be a professional footballer. It's not like some job you are forced to do to earn a living. Professional footballers are doing a job they obviously love and want to do. They get paid, in general, more than your average guy on the street, even if it is a relatively short career.

I don't think a NL right back is earning all that much money at all. It is a privilege to pursue a career that you enjoy, but being a footballer at this level is short and they have nothing to fall back on for the last 30 years of their working life. It's an incredibly mild privilege at best.
Posted by: pen penfras, November 24, 2021, 5:24pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from rancido

FFS ! I can imagine your reaction if a member of your family was injured or killed by a DD three times over the limit and his defence was " I was struggling with being away from home and I needed a bit of TLC ". I know nobody was injured or killed in this instance but the principal remains the same regardless of what profession they are in. I could understand just over the limit but three times over is some serious necking it down and a lot of TLC required.

It's completely stupid and somebody could have got seriously hurt which would have been tragic. But for a slender 22 year old, it isn't really necking it at all. Most people will be over the limit after 2 quick pints of a weak lager like Carling. 4 pints of a strong beer would be close to that amount and I'd bet anything that more than 1 of the people making comments in here have drank that much and driven at some point in their life.
Posted by: rancido, November 24, 2021, 5:51pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from pen penfras

I don't think a NL right back is earning all that much money at all. It is a privilege to pursue a career that you enjoy, but being a footballer at this level is short and they have nothing to fall back on for the last 30 years of their working life. It's an incredibly mild privilege at best.

I bet it is better than packing and stacking on a frozen food line. I agree about the short career but then it is more important to do the best you can and not jeopardise the opportunity you have.
Posted by: denni266, November 24, 2021, 9:23pm; Reply: 81
I alwase thought that the law in England was supposed to be one of the fairest in the world , And it was one crime one punishment, not pass it down the line for all to have there two pence worth including employers  unless employed as a driver.. Its easy to judge without knowing all the facts of what caused him to go off the rails . I dont condone what he did but i dont think we should be making a judgement on his future without all the facts .  
Posted by: HerveJosse, November 24, 2021, 9:50pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from denni266
I alwase thought that the law in England was supposed to be one of the fairest in the world , And it was one crime one punishment, not pass it down the line for all to have there two pence worth including employers  unless employed as a driver.. Its easy to judge without knowing all the facts of what caused him to go off the rails . I dont condone what he did but i dont think we should be making a judgement on his future without all the facts .  

What facts do you think could emerge that justify driving at three times the legal limit at 4am in the morning.?
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 24, 2021, 10:02pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from HerveJosse

Yes you can because he has committed a serious criminal offence and gross misconduct both of which will be covered in any competent employment contract. There will be an internal procedure to follow which is probably why the club has said nothing and we had to rely on Powys County News to know about it. The club will be able to ditch him if they choose to .Whether they will or. It is to be seen but highly likely. Three times over the limit is more then just a young lad taking a chance and making a bad choice. I wonder if anyone else from the club was with him at the time.

It may be where you work and within a professional  football club but having worked within an HR environment, in our Company the words "gross misconduct" would only apply to anything done within the Company.

We have had instances of a member of staff banned from driving and they were never sacked from the Company.
Posted by: moosey_club, November 24, 2021, 10:07pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from denni266
Its easy to judge without knowing all the facts of what caused him to go off the rails .

What !!??  So before he got in his car he had derailed a train ..

FFS

Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 24, 2021, 10:17pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from moosey_club

What !!??  So before he got in his car he had derailed a train ..

FFS

Well it still doesn’t mean he should be thrown under a bus!
Posted by: wigworld, November 24, 2021, 11:08pm; Reply: 86
Many organisations would fire an employee caught drink driving, for bringing the company into disrepute. Same with many professions - he would be suspended or struck off.
He might be young and a bit daft, but if he's old enough to drive a potential killing machine, he's old enough to face the consequences of doing so in an unsafe way.
I've no time for people on here trying to defend him.
Posted by: mimma, November 24, 2021, 11:12pm; Reply: 87
Where I use to work, we had someone that had a drink problem, and came to work drunk. He was suspended by the company, and sent to rehabilitation, that the company paid for. He was kept on, on the understanding that he was tested regularly, and if he started drinking again he would be sacked. He never failed a test and turned his life around. There is some compassionate companies out there that care about their work force, and I would like to think our new owners would show a little more compassion, and help him get his life back on track. Nobody on here knows what has made him act in this way, they just want to be judge and jury. All he may need is a little help, not throwing on the scrap heap.
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 24, 2021, 11:29pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from wigworld
Many organisations would fire an employee caught drink driving, for bringing the company into disrepute. Same with many professions - he would be suspended or struck off.
He might be young and a bit daft, but if he's old enough to drive a potential killing machine, he's old enough to face the consequences of doing so in an unsafe way.
I've no time for people on here trying to defend him.

He is clearly a complete buffoon and committed a serious crime but he hasn't brought the Club into disrepute.
Posted by: lukeo, November 25, 2021, 6:04am; Reply: 89
If he isn't living local How's he going to get to training etc?
Posted by: ska face, November 25, 2021, 6:45am; Reply: 90
Would people still be so keen to sack the player if it was McAtee or Taylor, and not the second choice right back?
Posted by: pen penfras, November 25, 2021, 6:58am; Reply: 91
Quoted from mimma
Where I use to work, we had someone that had a drink problem, and came to work drunk. He was suspended by the company, and sent to rehabilitation, that the company paid for. He was kept on, on the understanding that he was tested regularly, and if he started drinking again he would be sacked. He never failed a test and turned his life around. There is some compassionate companies out there that care about their work force, and I would like to think our new owners would show a little more compassion, and help him get his life back on track. Nobody on here knows what has made him act in this way, they just want to be judge and jury. All he may need is a little help, not throwing on the scrap heap.

There's a big difference between being an alcoholic and driving after 5 pints. One needs help, the other needs to grow up and stop being a selfish girl private
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 25, 2021, 8:19am; Reply: 92
Quoted from pen penfras

There's a big difference between being an alcoholic and driving after 5 pints. One needs help, the other needs to grow up and stop being a selfish girl private

So you know all about the facts of the case PP?
Posted by: barrattstandman, November 25, 2021, 11:35am; Reply: 93
Tony Adams is a prime example of not throwing someone under the bus . What Ryan did was totally out of order and we don't know if this was a one off which no doubt he bitterly regrets. If it was a one off then we shouldn't sack him we don't know . That is the club to investigate and act which ever way they feel .
Posted by: Poojah, November 25, 2021, 11:44am; Reply: 94
Quoted from lukeo
If he isn't living local How's he going to get to training etc?

Take the National Express, when your life’s in a mess, it’ll make you smile…

https://youtu.be/p_GLSgJ39Dc

Everybody sing…"ba ba ba da..."
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 25, 2021, 1:06pm; Reply: 95
There are many top class players that had a drink problem.

Gazza. Best . Robson to name a few.     Sears was an idiot to drive his car and staying out to after 4-00am is not you would expect from a professional footballer.

BUT

As long as he realises what might have happened and is truly apologetic I would give him another chance to redeem himself.

He is not our 1st choice full back but he needs to keep himself ready for when we need him and staying out drinking to that time of the morning is not what we would except again.
Posted by: RobDef1, November 25, 2021, 1:49pm; Reply: 96
Little bit of perspective served up last night. Benzema, sentenced the previous day for being complicit in blackmailing a fellow teammate, plays (and scores)

What Ryan did was absolutely dangerous, foolish, and obviously criminal... But lets not get ahead of ourselves with this 'he's brought the club into disrepute', that is simply ridiculous. Especially considering the last 20 years!
Posted by: LondonMariner43, November 25, 2021, 3:56pm; Reply: 97
Quoted from RobDef1
Little bit of perspective served up last night. Benzema, sentenced the previous day for being complicit in blackmailing a fellow teammate, plays (and scores)

What Ryan did was absolutely dangerous, foolish, and obviously criminal... But lets not get ahead of ourselves with this 'he's brought the club into disrepute', that is simply ridiculous. Especially considering the last 20 years!

It’s not about the clubs reputation.  Anyone who aspires to be a successful athlete shouldn’t be out boozing to 4am ever.  
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, November 25, 2021, 4:08pm; Reply: 98

It’s not about the clubs reputation.  Anyone who aspires to be a successful athlete shouldn’t be out boozing to 4am ever.  

Why? Is he not allowed to blow off some steam every now and then?
Posted by: Ipswin, November 25, 2021, 4:12pm; Reply: 99

FFS if players stuck to that the FA would have to change the rules to 5-a-side

Posted by: IlkleyMariner, November 25, 2021, 4:49pm; Reply: 100
Never read such a load of sanctimonious claptrap.
He’s a young man who made a mistake.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, November 25, 2021, 5:03pm; Reply: 101
Quoted from RobDef1

For a club synonymous with supporting Fascism and cozying up to the Franco dictatorship fielding a convicted blackmailer is neither here nor there.
Posted by: HerveJosse, November 25, 2021, 8:11pm; Reply: 102
Quoted from grimsby pete
There are many top class players that had a drink problem.

Gazza. Best . Robson to name a few.     Sears was an idiot to drive his car and staying out to after 4-00am is not you would expect from a professional footballer.

BUT

As long as he realises what might have happened and is truly apologetic I would give him another chance to redeem himself.

He is not our 1st choice full back but he needs to keep himself ready for when we need him and staying out drinking to that time of the morning is not what we would except again.

I think the point is that drinking heavily including having  a drink problem is not illegal. Drink driving is because it endangers  the life of innocent unconnected parties so the two are very different particularly when the drink driver is three times over the limit..
In many employment situations with no public image role model issues the lad may still warrant a second chance but in this employment situation this is very difficult.
Posted by: psgmariner, November 25, 2021, 9:30pm; Reply: 103
At least his grandkids can read this thread and see that he was compared to Tony Adams, Gazza and Benzema  ;D
Posted by: Poojah, November 25, 2021, 9:46pm; Reply: 104
Quoted from psgmariner
At least his grandkids can read this thread and see that he was compared to Tony Adams, Gazza and Benzema  ;D

And Barry Conlon.
Posted by: ginnywings, November 25, 2021, 9:59pm; Reply: 105
He'd have been first name on the team sheet under Newell.
Posted by: LH, November 25, 2021, 10:42pm; Reply: 106
Wow - we’ve got some proper wet pant wearers on here. Drink driving is obviously very, very bad but it’s not 1950 anymore and not every one who is out after dark is up to no good.
Posted by: diehardmariner, November 26, 2021, 12:10pm; Reply: 107
Struggling to see anyway in which to view this other than that he's a selfish sharp object.

This isn't a case of tipping over the limit and making a mistake.  He selfishly has put the life of someone else at higher risk by getting behind the wheel when well over the limit.  You don't accidently get to three times over the limit.   Proven to slow down reactions and decrease inability to safely judge situations.  It's lucky no-one was hurt as a result of his actions.

I'm not saying lets hang him out to dry and not give him chance, but this is very serious.  I can't imagine Hurst has taken kindly to it either.  Gone by Christmas I'd imagine.
Print page generated: April 18, 2024, 2:56pm