Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 19, 2021, 6:53pm

Team News

Grimsby Town: McKeown; Efete, Waterfall, Pearson, Crookes; Hunt, Fox, Coke; Sousa, Clifton, Taylor.

Substitutes: Towler, Longe-King, Revan, Bapaga, McAtee.
Posted by: Mariner93er, November 19, 2021, 6:55pm; Reply: 1
Waterfall and Pearson together worries me, last time we played that we shipped 3 against Barnet.
Posted by: Grimsby Is Not In Yorkshire, November 19, 2021, 6:55pm; Reply: 2
Towler rested or dropped after being below par on Sat?
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, November 19, 2021, 6:59pm; Reply: 3
Had a feeling he might drop Towler, following some of PH's comments about heading in the Aldershot post-match interview. I hope Southend haven't got any fast forwards though, as Waterfall & Pearson are both pretty slow. Nice surprise to see McAtee on the bench though.
Posted by: chaos33, November 19, 2021, 6:59pm; Reply: 4
So Lennie is the hamstring injury
Posted by: Madeleymariner, November 19, 2021, 7:00pm; Reply: 5
Best defender at the club and they dropped him after one offday. Could be an injury I suppose.
3 defenders on the bench, shows how thin on the ground we are.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, November 19, 2021, 7:03pm; Reply: 6
And again only 2 attackers.starting
Posted by: pontoonlew, November 19, 2021, 7:04pm; Reply: 7
Great to see McAtee back but I can’t for the life of me work out why we need 4 cms on the pitch.
Posted by: sydney, November 19, 2021, 7:07pm; Reply: 8
Had to work late so can’t get
And don't have BT sport
Any links to view the game would be VMA
Come on town just win the f@@kin game
Come On Town
Posted by: Poojah, November 19, 2021, 7:14pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from chaos33
So Lennie is the hamstring injury

Would appear so, is that a Monkhouse moment?

First home game I’ve not been able to make tonight, feels weird not being at BP. Come on Town!
Posted by: Hagrid, November 19, 2021, 7:16pm; Reply: 10
3 defenders on the bench

No scannell or grant. annoyed at that
Posted by: Fette Schlange, November 19, 2021, 7:21pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from sydney
Had to work late so can’t get
And don't have BT sport
Any links to view the game would be VMA
Come on town just win the f@@kin game
Come On Town

Live player app on appstore
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, November 19, 2021, 7:23pm; Reply: 12
I would think it's more a case of Towler having a rest than being dropped. He's been superb but it's a hell of an ask for a 19 year old who's played virtually no professional football to maintain the levels he started at. Been the same with Hunt.
Posted by: acko338, November 19, 2021, 7:26pm; Reply: 13
Will Revan be thrown more forward like at Bromsgrove?

He does have a shot on him and looks better attacking than defending !
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 19, 2021, 7:27pm; Reply: 14

First home game this season missed by me tonight (pulled my back) so watching on BT Sport.

Will be back for the Boreham Wood game, come on Town.

Posted by: promotion plaice, November 19, 2021, 7:51pm; Reply: 15

Get in Taylor
Posted by: DB, November 19, 2021, 7:51pm; Reply: 16
Goal Taylor  going up
Posted by: cmackenzie4, November 19, 2021, 7:52pm; Reply: 17
Well taken goal by Taylor, poor defending by Southend there though.
Posted by: DB, November 19, 2021, 7:53pm; Reply: 18
Joint top going up , great start
Posted by: Poojah, November 19, 2021, 7:53pm; Reply: 19
Needed that. These look terrible based on the first 5 mins - need the next goal just to be sure.
Posted by: It Bites, November 19, 2021, 7:54pm; Reply: 20
That has to be the worst defending at BP in years , and that's saying something
Posted by: Yossarian, November 19, 2021, 7:58pm; Reply: 21
Hmmm... something wrong with my tv.  I seem to only have juventus v oxford united b team
Posted by: Yossarian, November 19, 2021, 8:02pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Yossarian
Hmmm... something wrong with my tv.  I seem to only have juventus v oxford united b team

Of course as soon as i post that saaarfend look a threat now

Posted by: smokey111, November 19, 2021, 8:13pm; Reply: 23
Efete  looks a yard off the pace
Posted by: TAGG, November 19, 2021, 8:15pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from smokey111
Efete  looks a yard off the pace

Not out the dressing room yet
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 19, 2021, 8:15pm; Reply: 25

We seem to be happy to defend our lead.

Shame we scored, we could be 3-0 up by now  ;D
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, November 19, 2021, 8:19pm; Reply: 26
One of the best things sousas done
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 19, 2021, 8:21pm; Reply: 27
Started well, now we can’t keep the ball.
Posted by: Poojah, November 19, 2021, 8:23pm; Reply: 28
Nice to see Stan Collymore in the stands, looking forward to a trip to bonkers bank later.
Posted by: Hagrid, November 19, 2021, 8:23pm; Reply: 29
Winning but this hasnt been very good
Posted by: Kris2, November 19, 2021, 8:25pm; Reply: 30
Don't feel like a team in the lead, after some early pressure Southend have had a lot of possession and feel they can get something from this. We can't seem to string more than a couple of passes together or get hold of the ball, always seems like desperate dings that end up at the feet of a Southend player.
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 19, 2021, 8:31pm; Reply: 31

Good to see Dave Moore back.
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 19, 2021, 8:37pm; Reply: 32

HT...Town 1-0 Southend.

It's not pretty but after 4 defeats if we can hold onto this lead and get the win no one will be complaining.
Posted by: Hagrid, November 19, 2021, 8:38pm; Reply: 33
Sousa best player on the park. Efete a yard off it, hunt as well. But we’re winning
Posted by: Mayaman, November 19, 2021, 8:38pm; Reply: 34
According to GET, Taylor is playing well.  Hope the lads' confidence comes back.  They can prove they can play footie.
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, November 19, 2021, 8:40pm; Reply: 35
Plenty of positives, but id still describe the team as mcateeless
Posted by: Stockport Mariner, November 19, 2021, 8:42pm; Reply: 36
I think Hunts having a good game. Sousa looks ‘on it’ and Pearson playing well. Good to see Crookes back in.
Posted by: Poojah, November 19, 2021, 8:44pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Stockport Mariner
I think Hunts having a good game. Sousa looks ‘on it’ and Pearson playing well. Good to see Crookes back in.

Sousa looks class in his flair moments, but he’s never far away from a bad touch or a misplaced pass. If he can sort that out and find some kind of end product then he’ll go a lot further than us, but it’s up to him.
Posted by: pontoonlew, November 19, 2021, 8:46pm; Reply: 38
I love Fox and he’s an excellent player but he’s not suited to the McAtee role, swap him to Cokes position and McAtee in that role and we look a proper team.

I’m going to say it now and I know it won’t go down well, but I don’t rate Coke…
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 19, 2021, 8:48pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from pontoonlew
I love Fox and he’s an excellent player but he’s not suited to the McAtee role, swap him to Cokes position and McAtee in that role and we look a proper team.

I’m going to say it now and I know it won’t go down well, but I don’t rate Coke…

Try Cannabis then.

Had to do it  8)

Posted by: grimsby pete, November 19, 2021, 8:49pm; Reply: 40
Been to a funeral in Grimsby today but back in suffolk to watch the game on tv.

Started well but allowed Southend back in it a bit.

A good start to 2nd half hopefully sees us win and we start another unbeaten run.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, November 19, 2021, 8:51pm; Reply: 41
Our clearances are half-hearted and often go to a Southend player.  Would like to see fewer free kicks given away in our half as well.  Think we can take the game to them more to them in the 2nd half.
Posted by: Mayaman, November 19, 2021, 8:52pm; Reply: 42
3.49 in the morning.  Time for a brew.  Was actually dreaming about watching town.  Was 0-0 but we were playing well.
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, November 19, 2021, 9:04pm; Reply: 43
Oh dear sousa
Posted by: sapper mariner, November 19, 2021, 9:15pm; Reply: 44
being very wasteful
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, November 19, 2021, 9:16pm; Reply: 45
Oh dear sousa

This comment has been applicable about 5 times since i made it, he'd be having the match of a lifetime if he added an end product onto all the good things hes been doing this game
Posted by: TAGG, November 19, 2021, 9:18pm; Reply: 46
They will score very soon
Posted by: TAGG, November 19, 2021, 9:19pm; Reply: 47
We have no energy at the moment, need to freshen it up.
Posted by: Mayaman, November 19, 2021, 9:22pm; Reply: 48
Sounds like McAtee is coming on.   Hopefully we will hear a shift in energy
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, November 19, 2021, 9:23pm; Reply: 49
How is mcatee still not on
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 19, 2021, 9:24pm; Reply: 50

McAtee on.
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, November 19, 2021, 9:26pm; Reply: 51
His mutton chops look extra powerful tonight
Posted by: TAGG, November 19, 2021, 9:27pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from promotion plaice

McAtee on.

For Hunt
Hurst is such a negative fornicator at times
Posted by: Hagrid, November 19, 2021, 9:35pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from TAGG

For Hunt
Hurst is such a negative fornicator at times

Think hunt’s been poor tbh
Posted by: Stadium, November 19, 2021, 9:41pm; Reply: 54
Very poor quality from both sides.
Three points.
Move on.
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 19, 2021, 9:43pm; Reply: 55

Get in...Town 1-0 Southend.

Not pretty but we ground out the win to take us joint top, come on The Moors tomorrow.

Bonus, McAtee is back.

Posted by: chipsandgravy, November 19, 2021, 9:44pm; Reply: 56
3pts. Midfield pants. Dont no where that team a few matches ago have gone. Sousa MOM and Taylor different gravy.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 19, 2021, 9:44pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from Hagrid

Think hunt’s been poor tbh

He needs to be further up the pitch IMHO
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, November 19, 2021, 9:45pm; Reply: 58
A wins a win, and while were on tv no less
Posted by: Badger57, November 19, 2021, 9:45pm; Reply: 59
That was hard work but a deserved win. Toothless up top though and as good as Sousa will be, he really needs to work on his delivery. But we all know that. We'll done Town, back on the right track.
Posted by: supertown, November 19, 2021, 9:45pm; Reply: 60
What has happened to the performances of a month ago or more. We look a shadow of what we were . Ah well it’s 3 points and stopped the rot
Posted by: Kris2, November 19, 2021, 9:46pm; Reply: 61
Much needed 3 points even if we made hard work of it against a struggling side. McAtee returning is positive, will need to see more from the players in the next few games if we are going to get results, hopefully this has given them some confidence with 3 points and a clean sheet.

Subs very late again,  McAtee I can understand because he just needed some minutes on the pitch and to show his face but was it really not worth throwing a couple of bodies on with 20 minutes to go to freshen it up? Hurst's sub phobia and hording of the bench is worrying at times
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, November 19, 2021, 9:47pm; Reply: 62
Good game, I thought we were rather unlucky at times as well so its great to still come away with a win.

Great to see McAtee back in the side and getting a run out.

I thought Fox and Sousa especially impressed tonight and I can't pick between the two for MoM.

Only person I thought looked out if sorts was Hunt (especially in the 1st half) I thought he played like he was playing through a haze or something, didn't look like hisnusual self.
Posted by: hampshiremariner, November 19, 2021, 9:50pm; Reply: 63
Pleased McAtee is on the way back. How we have missed him. Three points are very welcome. The BBC shows us as lining up with four at the back, five in midfield and a lone striker. If that's right, I am amazed.
Posted by: Mayaman, November 19, 2021, 9:52pm; Reply: 64
sounded like Crookes and Pearson sounded solid.  Good to see McAtee back.  What can Sousa do improve his final ball?   Shame as he does a lot and when he's got the ball the opposition are on the back foot.   Hopefully, we can find our earlier form.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 19, 2021, 9:53pm; Reply: 65
A win is a win and three points.

It's better to play poorly and win than play well and lose.

Now we have some tougher games to play and hopefully a better performance and a few more points in the bag.
Posted by: fishcake63, November 19, 2021, 9:54pm; Reply: 66
sousa ok till he gets in opposition box his final ball /finish rather infuriating at best
Posted by: forza ivano, November 19, 2021, 9:57pm; Reply: 67
Good game, I thought we were rather unlucky at times as well so its great to still come away with a win.

I thought Fox and Sousa especially impressed tonight and I can't pick between the two for MoM.

Only person I thought looked out if sorts was Hunt (especially in the 1st half) I thought he played like he was playing through a haze or something, didn't look like hisnusual self.

good game????
wtf were you watching???
it was feckin dreadful, from both teams.  That looks a completely different team to the games in September. Lost a lot of confidence in the meantime
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, November 19, 2021, 9:57pm; Reply: 68
The back 4 played very well tonight 👏 👌  my man of the match Taylor, he held everything up top tonight. 3 points get in utm
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, November 19, 2021, 9:59pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from Mayaman
sounded like Crookes and Pearson sounded solid.  Good to see McAtee back.  What can Sousa do improve his final ball?   Shame as he does a lot and when he's got the ball the opposition are on the back foot.   Hopefully, we can find our earlier form.

Hurst wouldnt be playing him if he couldnt do it in training, I imagine itll be just about relaxing in that crucial moment during a game, hes never been given regular football at any level, for whatever reason, and yet we can all see his quality is in there, he just got MoM from BT, we might just have to bear with it, which is hard when we want to win the league but it could just click one day. Id look back at when lennel john lewis came the first time, and was always snatching his chances and ballooning sitters over the bar, but hurst persevered and in the second season he managed to score more, not comparing the two style wise just that moment of tensing it up and overhitting things
Posted by: davmariner, November 19, 2021, 10:01pm; Reply: 70
God that was shite. But a win’s a win.
Posted by: Stockport Mariner, November 19, 2021, 10:02pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from Badger57
That was hard work but a deserved win. Toothless up top though and as good as Sousa will be, he really needs to work on his delivery. But we all know that. We'll done Town, back on the right track.

…or we need more players on the end of his crosses? Probably a bit of both.
Posted by: Stadium, November 19, 2021, 10:02pm; Reply: 72

???
Awful game & an extremely average performance from both sides.
Held on for three points but need a massive improvement going forward.
Positive was the return of McAtee.
Sousa very wasteful but motm?

Posted by: dapperz fun pub, November 19, 2021, 10:02pm; Reply: 73
Always pleased to win and our best player getting some minutes after injury is good .. But no quality from us ,a team in the relegation zone dominated us for long periods all be it with the managers bounce. Still need some quality additions to really challenge that top spot cos we will be playing better teams than Southend shortly
Posted by: Stockport Mariner, November 19, 2021, 10:04pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from supertown
What has happened to the performances of a month ago or more. We look a shadow of what we were . Ah well it’s 3 points and stopped the rot

Easy. We've not had the Taylor-McAtee link up that was so successful for us. After 4 defeats we looked to be lacking the early season confidence as well.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, November 19, 2021, 10:07pm; Reply: 75
Despite well below our best, we are joint-top, with the most wins (10) and the second best GD.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, November 19, 2021, 10:07pm; Reply: 76
McAtee’s feisty physicality is absolutely crucial to this team with the current squad. We are flat without it. Unless the sicknotes (Grant and Scannell) suddenly get fit and stay fit we need to add 3. Even if they do give us some games we need the 9 and another left sided player.
Posted by: acko338, November 19, 2021, 10:14pm; Reply: 77
Sousa - left winger / right winger ????

His crossing and passing seems to be better when playing on the right side from what I have seen.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, November 19, 2021, 10:18pm; Reply: 78
I thought Sousa looked good off the right and he did make the goal with able assistance from Southend. He's frustrating as he looks so far above this level at times which he isn't which is why he's here.
Posted by: supertown, November 19, 2021, 10:45pm; Reply: 79

Really? Good game it was not !
Posted by: Poojah, November 20, 2021, 10:18am; Reply: 80
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I thought Sousa looked good off the right and he did make the goal with able assistance from Southend. He's frustrating as he looks so far above this level at times which he isn't which is why he's here.

You could easily make a highlight reel without too much footage whereby he looked like either the next Maradona or one of the worst players to ever put on a town shirt.

Skinning five players in a single movement one moment, then completely miscontrolling the ball or skying a shot over the Main stand roof the next.

A huge amount of raw material to work with, but he’ll turn 27 in March so he’ll need to get a move on if he really does want to crack on in the game.  
Posted by: golfer, November 20, 2021, 11:24am; Reply: 81
It wasn't his fault there wasn't anybody stood on the corner post to head it in - if they were it would have been a perfect pass. Leave the guy alone and carry on calling the dimwit midfielder who deserves it
Posted by: aldi_01, November 20, 2021, 12:32pm; Reply: 82
The frustrating thing for Sousa is he can do most things except finish…even more annoying, last night he finally got one on target that looked a dead cert to go in and the girl private stopped it on or just before the line…
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 20, 2021, 12:36pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from TAGG
They will score very soon

Still waiting!  ;)
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 20, 2021, 1:04pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from Poojah

You could easily make a highlight reel without too much footage whereby he looked like either the next Maradona or one of the worst players to ever put on a town shirt.

Skinning five players in a single movement one moment, then completely miscontrolling the ball or skying a shot over the Main stand roof the next.

A huge amount of raw material to work with, but he’ll turn 27 in March so he’ll need to get a move on if he really does want to crack on in the game.  

Maybe if he had a Fox in the box who just drops of at the right minute to aim for we might get a bit more end product to his endeavours.
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, November 20, 2021, 1:22pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Maybe if he had a Fox in the box who just drops of at the right minute to aim for we might get a bit more end product to his endeavours.

Or even just say to clifton or mcatee or someone, stay close to him when hes running at opposition defenders, make that final pass he needs to make into the box an easy short one, he can get into the box or down the outside with ease, players in the premier league often have someone close by for players who can do that, but last night his option was either a distant cross or to shoot himself

And there was actually a moment where clifton ran beside him, pointed to where he wanted it, sousa delivered the short pass exactly there and clifton had a shot, yes it went into the side netting, but proves my point
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 12:37am