Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: joe56, November 19, 2021, 6:33pm
I see on the Southend forum that they’re mourning the passing of ex-player Gary Moore. He played for us before them. A tall striker, signed from Sunderland, good in the air, I wasn’t all that impressed with him to begin with, but in a pre-season friendly at Louth United, I remember him scoring with a tremendous shot literally from the half-way line. That made me realise the gulf in class between professional and lower level football. He went on to be a decent player for us. RIP.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, November 19, 2021, 6:41pm; Reply: 1
Yes I remember him.  Did he play up front with with someone called Wilson?  Or is that false memory syndrome?
Posted by: Meza, November 19, 2021, 6:43pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Yes I remember him.  Did he play up front with with someone called Wilson?  Or is that false memory syndrome?

I think Wilson was "Cast Away"
Posted by: Mallyner, November 19, 2021, 7:10pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Meza

I think Wilson was "Cast Away"

T Hanks for the memory.  ;)

Posted by: Heswall Mariner, November 19, 2021, 7:12pm; Reply: 4
Yes I remember him, a big lad- according to Wiki scored 15 goals in 53 appearances for us.
Must confess though he subsequently played for Chester which is when I remember him from, now living in this neck of the woods.
Posted by: rancido, November 19, 2021, 7:16pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

Yes, Dave Wilson.
Posted by: It Bites, November 19, 2021, 7:17pm; Reply: 6
Didn't the awesome Gary Moore (musician) marry Dave Booths daughter in Holten le Clay ?
Posted by: norfuk mariner, November 19, 2021, 7:22pm; Reply: 7
Played alongside Dave Wilson . Dave was very clever striker and a good foil for the more languid Moore - both here 67/8.
Posted by: denni266, November 19, 2021, 9:13pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from It Bites
Didn't the awesome Gary Moore (musician) marry Dave Booths daughter in Holten le Clay ?

One hell of a guitarist
Posted by: SouthLakesMariner, November 19, 2021, 10:11pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from It Bites

An ex-girlfriend of mine was niece of Dave Booth and also related to Gary Moore (the musician) so definitely a family connection somewhere. Unfortunately I wasn’t introduced to either of them.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 19, 2021, 10:24pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from It Bites

I think it was Thoresby.
Posted by: Heisenberg, November 20, 2021, 12:25am; Reply: 11
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I think it was Thoresby.

I thought she married Phil Lynott? Either way, Moore and Lynott were there, so I was told. I’m too young to know for sure.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, November 20, 2021, 8:55am; Reply: 12
Quoted from Heisenberg

I thought she married Phil Lynott? Either way, Moore and Lynott were there, so I was told. I’m too young to know for sure.

PHil Lynott was married to Caroline Crowther, Leslie (come on down!) Crowther's daughter. Their connection locally was that they used Bram Tchaikovsky's recording studio in (I think) Thoresby. That was where The Darkness' first album was recorded incidentally.

Don't know if it is still there and how Bram (The Motors and Ducks Deluxe) ended up there.
Posted by: Stranger in the Park, November 20, 2021, 1:04pm; Reply: 13
Gary Moore was married to Kerry Booth (daughter of Dave Booth) at North Thoresby in 1985. Phil Lynott was the best man and the late Rev. Bob Emm officiated the marriage.

Chapel Studio -once owned by Bram Tchaikovsky -  was in South Thoresby (near Alford).
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 8:38pm