Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 18, 2021, 1:02pm

The following statement has been issued by the National League....

"The National League Board is delighted to receive news from the Premier League of fresh Covid Impact Funding to assist all our member Clubs.

This additional funding forms part of the Exclusion Order agreement with Government relating to the three-year renewal of the Premier League’s UK live and non-live broadcast rights.

The League will receive an additional £5m funding over the next four seasons; with £2m this season in recognition of the extra pressure on Clubs due to the pandemic with an additional £1m for each of the following 3 seasons. This is totally new funding and as stated, arises from the agreement referred to in the previous paragraph.

The National League Board has met to consider the immediate distribution of this additional £2m funding and decided that this should be divided as 50% to Step 1 and 50% to Step 2.

National League Chairman Jack Pearce said: “The National League has been in regular discussion with the Premier League and other football organisations to discuss funding throughout the game.  This latest announcement is brilliant news for National League clubs for which we, as a Competition, are extremely grateful.

“We welcome this new funding which comes after the Premier League assisted with the provision of valuable financial support during the pandemic that was crucial to the livelihood of clubs. The impact of COVID-19 was particularly severe at our level of the game and this new commitment is a timely boost which will aid clubs in their recovery and enable them to plan for the future.”

The NL Board are extremely grateful to our Chairman Jack Pearce for his assistance with the decision makers to obtain much need support for our members club."

Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, November 18, 2021, 6:26pm; Reply: 1
The Premier League has spent roughly 1.7 billion Euros in transfer fees in 2021.

Are we supposed to be eternally grateful for them chucking their loose change at us like beggars in a Medieval street?
Posted by: Meza, November 18, 2021, 6:31pm; Reply: 2
The Premier League has spent roughly 1.7 billion Euros in transfer fees in 2021.

Are we supposed to be eternally grateful for them chucking their loose change at us like beggars in a Medieval street?

its over 4 season as well, it seems a bit paltry.  I guess its probably looked at as another type of release fund, but Chesterfield and the likes will use this towards Jan transfer window as free money.

Although the NL seem to get more publicity than leagues 1 & 2 especially through BT Sport, I dont have Sky but there might be the odd Lg1 / 2 game on,
Posted by: Madeleymariner, November 18, 2021, 8:17pm; Reply: 3
Works out at about £43K each this year in our league, lets go out and buy a new stadium  :P
Posted by: ginnywings, November 18, 2021, 8:26pm; Reply: 4
To put it into context, there are some individual players in the Prem who 'earn' a million a month.

That's one player in one squad.

We are looking at having to fund an entire squad for an entire season for less than that if the salary cap is applied.
Posted by: DB, November 19, 2021, 4:36am; Reply: 5
As I understand it the money is for all the NL which includes teams in the North & South leagues. £5 million over 3 years is not going to go far, a few crumbs from Premier League's cesspit of billions would have more.

They've given the NL a chewed up bone, no meat on it, and sucked all the marrowfat out of it. Lip service at its absolute worst by the Prem.
Posted by: Poojah, November 19, 2021, 9:03am; Reply: 6
Quoted from DB
As I understand it the money is for all the NL which includes teams in the North & South leagues. £5 million over 3 years is not going to go far, a few crumbs from Premier League's cesspit of billions would have more.

They've given the NL a chewed up bone, no meat on it, and sucked all the marrowfat out of it. Lip service at its absolute worst by the Prem.

Would you say they’re taking the peas?
Posted by: Mariner John, November 19, 2021, 11:10am; Reply: 7
Roughly 2 Pork pies and a drink for everyone at each game, my oh my were all so grateful. A few more quid and we could have all had a docks beer.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, November 19, 2021, 1:56pm; Reply: 8
The PL have announced a new 6 year TV deal with NBC today.  Worth a billion plus.  Just to put the NL funding offer into context.  
Posted by: exiledmeggie, November 19, 2021, 6:39pm; Reply: 9
Today the NL gets the loose change from the Premier League, just as they trouser £2,000,000,000 from the renewed contract with NBC in the US.  
Posted by: Meza, November 19, 2021, 6:42pm; Reply: 10
there will be uproar if they had all the slots and BT and Sky cant have any games.  Greedy b*stards
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, November 20, 2021, 12:08pm; Reply: 11

It is more of what we have come to expect from the top of the pyramid unfortunately.  

Another reason to boycott the premiership. Can't remember last time I watched a prem game but it makes zero difference to them what I do.

Posted by: pen penfras, November 21, 2021, 4:56pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

It is more of what we have come to expect from the top of the pyramid unfortunately.  

Another reason to boycott the premiership. Can't remember last time I watched a prem game but it makes zero difference to them what I do.

I don't understand why people think that the Premier League should be funding the 5th tier of English football. I get that football in this country is different to other countries in the community aspect means more, but virtually nobody outside of the NL teams wants to watch it. If funds were distributed more, the PL teams wouldn't be able to sign the best players anymore, the standard would drop vs other countries that don't have 5 levels of 20+ teams to support and viewing figures would drop. There's then be less money to share around and the English game would be worse off for it.

The money at the top is obscene, but without a concerted international effort to change things, it's not going to change
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 21, 2021, 5:52pm; Reply: 13
No PP. You’ve got it wrong. The Premier League was able to rake in huge amounts of money from TV BEFORE the teams were able to win the top tournaments so often. Then we started seeing the multi-billionaires coming in who pumped more money in. It’s the money coming in first that enabled them to compete, not the other way round.

As for there being less money to share…..we’ll that’s not saying much us it.

The vast wealth in the PL and no effective governance on what clubs below do is threatening the English game. The top clubs scoop up ridiculous numbers of young players, far more than they are able to play, create inflation in wages, and poach lower League clubs’ young talent for a pittance. Championship clubs get dragged into spending way beyond their means, threatening their very existence. Look what’s happened to Derby, Coventry, Bolton, Bradford, Sunderland …. Probably loads more that I’ve forgotten.
Posted by: denni266, November 23, 2021, 6:56am; Reply: 14
Its a pitance and an insult  and they should be sent it back. Dont watch premsheit  circus clowns and never will.. I  dont even watch England play unless there is nothing else to watch. They dont give a crap about lower football its all them and money
Posted by: lukeo, November 23, 2021, 7:39am; Reply: 15
I hate to get into debates about the prem. I cant stand it and only take an interest because ive joined an FPL league and stuck £70 in

The youth player situation pisses me off.
1 example is Jay Stansfield. Knew him as a boy growing up in Tiverton, follows his dad's foot steps and signs for Exeter. Making great progress and touching first team. Fulham snatch him for pennies and now he's made 3 sub appearances in around 18 months. If he'd had stayed at Exeter he'd probably be playing week in week out. (he's 18 at the moment)
Print page generated: May 3, 2024, 1:21pm