Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: HerveJosse, October 23, 2021, 7:28pm
6470. Someone needs to buy a new calculator!
200 less then the Wrexham game.
2600 empty seats.
You are having a laugh
Posted by: BeijingMariner, October 23, 2021, 7:29pm; Reply: 1
I must admit I found that very strange too
Posted by: Jaws, October 23, 2021, 7:38pm; Reply: 2
Sounds like a technology issue. Though saying that, a lot of empty seats at the osmond end of the main stand. At least a hundred despite this area of the main stand being sold out before the game?
Posted by: Humbercod, October 23, 2021, 7:44pm; Reply: 3
Already mentioned a full row of empty seats in front of me in the ponny, but what I do find strange as been mentioned over 7000 issued?
Do we know how many freebies are issued to schools each week? As I can imagine quite a few absentees from these, the Covid scare is off again as well so many with tickets (and you can’t blame them) might think it’s to much of a risk.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 23, 2021, 7:45pm; Reply: 4
There is clearly an anomaly between tickets issued and the actual match day attendance and It's hppened every game this season.

I have no idea what the anomaly is though.
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, October 23, 2021, 7:45pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from HerveJosse
6470. Someone needs to buy a new calculator!
200 less then the Wrexham game.
2600 empty seats.
You are having a laugh

I pointed this out on a previous post - we had officially sold over 7k tickets - so simple maths, some 700/10% of those ticket holders didn't turn up eh?  Must have money to burn.
Posted by: aldi_01, October 23, 2021, 7:47pm; Reply: 6
Are people paranoid about Covid? Are people on holiday given they haven’t been able to go abroad as easy for nearly two years? Is it a technology issue? Are people buying tickets but then plans change?

Seems odd to be honest but isn’t really an issue…
Posted by: grimps, October 23, 2021, 7:52pm; Reply: 7
It’s a strange one really as years ago we’d have said they was fiddling the taxman , but if the tickets have been sold then the taxman still gets his cut .
There’s really something odd going on but I can’t believe 700 people bought tickets and never attended
Posted by: Humbercod, October 23, 2021, 7:56pm; Reply: 8
Here’s another take on it the scanning of tickets, I had no problems today but the last game the machine went faulty so they just let 4 of us in.
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, October 23, 2021, 7:59pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from aldi_01
Are people paranoid about Covid? Are people on holiday given they haven’t been able to go abroad as easy for nearly two years? Is it a technology issue? Are people buying tickets but then plans change?

Seems odd to be honest but isn’t really an issue…

No big deal for me either - just curious.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 23, 2021, 8:00pm; Reply: 10
Four of us with STs not there today
Posted by: HerveJosse, October 23, 2021, 8:07pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from ginnywings
There is clearly an anomaly between tickets issued and the actual match day attendance and It's hppened every game this season.

I wasnt basing my comment on the difference between what had been stated as tickets issued and the attendance I realise some won’t turn up though I would just add that the 7000 issued figure was early this morning before today’s sales which would be another 200:0or 300 no doubt. I was basing it more on what my eyes can see.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, October 23, 2021, 8:10pm; Reply: 12
You wouldn't have thought about 20% of season tickets holders wouldn't be turning up though sounds far too high.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, October 23, 2021, 8:12pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
You wouldn't have thought about 20% of season tickets holders wouldn't be turning up though sounds far too high.

If it's the freebies not turning up, perhaps we need to give less freebies or change how it's done.
Posted by: Plankton, October 23, 2021, 8:12pm; Reply: 14
Was it not 7000 tickets available? Not 7000 sold? It's a complicated one.
Posted by: forza ivano, October 23, 2021, 8:15pm; Reply: 15
really, we shouldn't be worried - we've sold 7000+ tickets , we've got the money in; it doesn't really matter how many subsequently attend
Posted by: pizzzza, October 23, 2021, 8:19pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from forza ivano
really, we shouldn't be worried - we've sold 7000+ tickets , we've got the money in; it doesn't really matter how many subsequently attend

It's clever wording by the club in the run up to the game, they say "issued" not "sold". My guess is that issued includes freebies given out which are subsequently not used.
Posted by: 58mariner, October 23, 2021, 8:20pm; Reply: 17
Can only assume, and most plausible explanation, seems to be that they automatically include the 3000+ season ticket holders in the figures when they announce attendance updates through the week. But as someone else has also queried, surely there wasn’t 600-700 season ticket holders not at the game today? With the form we are in and on a Saturday afternoon. Something doesn’t add up and feel in this new era of transparency club should clarify.
Posted by: HerveJosse, October 23, 2021, 8:20pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from forza ivano

Sorry but it matters me if the figure is nit correct and if there were only 6400 in the ground today then Lennie is a great finisher.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, October 23, 2021, 8:30pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from HerveJosse

Sorry but it matters me if the figure is nit correct and if there were only 6400 in the ground today then Lennie is a great finisher.

Why though?

Why does it matter?

As long as we are not committing fraud it doesn’t bother me in the slightest. It’s just d1ck waving.
Posted by: grimps, October 23, 2021, 8:31pm; Reply: 20

Why though?

Why does it matter?

As long as we are not committing fraud it doesn’t bother me in the slightest. It’s just d1ck waving.

What’s wrong with that ?
What’s wrong with being proud of our support ?
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, October 23, 2021, 8:38pm; Reply: 21
The figure of 7000 is tickets issued, it’s not tickets sold.
It includes general sales and season ticket holders. It includes complimentary tickets issued. It includes free pass holders such as staff and every academy player etc. as from a capacity point of view, and safety point of view, all of these have to be taken into account.

Not everyone that has a ticket is forced to turn up.

As someone has pointed out, the scanners are very hit and miss too. Seeing loads of occasions where they can’t get the codes to scan, so just let the fans in.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, October 23, 2021, 8:38pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from grimps

What’s wrong with that ?
What’s wrong with being proud of our support ?

It’s a number. The likes of Grimsby Pete couldn’t go today but I’m still proud of his support. I’m proud of our real fans whether they are part of the ‘attendance figure’ or not.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 23, 2021, 8:40pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Fillipe Noche
It includes season ticket holders. It includes complimentary tickets issued. It includes free pass holders such as staff and every academy player etc. as from a capacity point of view, and safety point of view, all of these have to be taken into account.

The way we spin this is great PR for the club who have a side currently that are doing their PR on the pitch.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, October 23, 2021, 8:40pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Fillipe Noche
It includes season ticket holders. It includes complimentary tickets issued. It includes free pass holders such as staff and every academy player etc. as from a capacity point of view, and safety point of view, all of these have to be taken into account.

Thanks Mr.Complimentary Ticket
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, October 23, 2021, 8:42pm; Reply: 25

Thanks Mr.Complimentary Ticket

I now pay for my ticket
Posted by: HerveJosse, October 23, 2021, 8:50pm; Reply: 26

Why though?

Why does it matter?

Because if something is clearly wrong until you know the reason why you don’t know whether the reason matters or not. And also as stated by others above we should be proud of our support .
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, October 23, 2021, 8:50pm; Reply: 27
The club never said we had sold 7,000 tickets - over 7,000 tickets were issued is what they said. I think we're probably giving a decent amount out to schools etc that are going unused but saying 'over 6,000 tickets issued' on a Tuesday morning is a great way to get anyone unsure to commit and buy a ticket. Notts County will be the most in demand ticket of the season so far. I bet on that basis we will give less freebies out knowing we will be able to sell more and the difference between the 'tickets issued' and the attendance will be much smaller.
Posted by: Lambretta Mariner, October 23, 2021, 8:50pm; Reply: 28
Nothing attracts a crowd like a crowd (the results and football help). As soon as the attendance was announced I just assumed the social media accounts had just over hyped tickets ‘issued’ to attract more people to go in the hope that the figures stated would be close to achieved.

Obviously might have got that wrong and the other suggestions re scanners and complimentary tickets not being used may be correct. There does seem to be an issue somewhere.
Posted by: golfer, October 23, 2021, 9:03pm; Reply: 29

It’s a number. The likes of Grimsby Pete couldn’t go today but I’m still proud of his support. I’m proud of our real fans whether they are part of the ‘attendance figure’ or not.

Actually Grimsby Pete was sat next to me today - Kingston was also there.  When my ticket was duplicated last month there must have been another  2000     8)
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, October 23, 2021, 9:14pm; Reply: 30
Scanners have nothing to do with attendance figures this season as the club are still using the turnstile counters  on each gate and ticket stubs on all other entrances.
the scanning of tickets this season is more about keeping a record of who attends each game and checking the tickets are valid for that game,
I do believe the club are aware that there are a few minor scanning issues that need to be ironed out  and also some extra training  to matchday staff that may be required going forward.
Posted by: Bigdog, October 23, 2021, 9:22pm; Reply: 31

Why though?

Why does it matter?

True.. but waving 7 is much more impressive than waving 6..
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, October 23, 2021, 9:23pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Bigdog

True.. but waving 7 is so much more impressive than waving 6..

You’ve got the measure of me
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, October 23, 2021, 9:26pm; Reply: 33

Why though?

Why does it matter?

Actually, I think it does matter. Due to the fantastic achievement in such a short time by 1878 and the team, people will have clicked on the stadium map for this game for the Upper or Lower Youngs or Pontoon and found both stands completely sold out, for today they could then swtich to the Osmond. Next week they can't. Someone said there was a whole row of empty seats in the Pontoon, that is a really weird coincidence - that all those people, with tickets next to each other, couldn't make it today. The numbers don't add up compared to the stated capacities by some margin and I think the club should say something about it. If it's the case that the club are marking some seats as sold to reduce overcrowding and also issuing complimentary tickets which may or may not be used I think they should just say so. Not d!ck-waving; if we start turning people away next week and the attendance is announced at circa 7,000 for a nominal 9k capacity stadium people who couldn't get a ticket will say hang on a minute I couldn't get a ticket yet the stadium was only 80% full...
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, October 23, 2021, 9:33pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Actually, I think it does matter. Due to the fantastic achievement in such a short time by 1878 and the team, people will have clicked on the stadium map for this game for the Upper or Lower Youngs or Pontoon and found both stands completely sold out, for today they could then swtich to the Osmond. Next week they can't. Someone said there was a whole row of empty seats in the Pontoon, that is a really weird coincidence - that all those people, with tickets next to each other, couldn't make it today. The numbers don't add up compared to the stated capacities by some margin and I think the club should say something about it. If it's the case that the club are marking some seats as sold to reduce overcrowding and also issuing complimentary tickets which may or may not be used I think they should just say so. Not male private-waving; if we start turning people away next week and the attendance is announced at circa 7,000 for a nominal 9k capacity stadium people who couldn't get a ticket will say hang on a minute I couldn't get a ticket yet the stadium was only 80% full...

Not all tickets are sold, some are given to schools, sponsors or business but will all be shown as allocated on the ticket web site so not to be double used.

Posted by: grimps, October 23, 2021, 9:36pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

Not all tickets are sold, some are given to schools, sponsors or business but will all be shown as allocated on the ticket web site so not to be double used.

Well if the club are giving several hundred tickets away and the recipients aren’t using them it needs to be stopped .
I can’t believe we give that many away and if people are likely to be struggling to get tickets they’d like to pay for in the future this will become a big problem
Posted by: Plankton, October 23, 2021, 9:42pm; Reply: 36

Actually, I think it does matter. Due to the fantastic achievement in such a short time by 1878 and the team, people will have clicked on the stadium map for this game for the Upper or Lower Youngs or Pontoon and found both stands completely sold out, for today they could then swtich to the Osmond. Next week they can't. Someone said there was a whole row of empty seats in the Pontoon, that is a really weird coincidence - that all those people, with tickets next to each other, couldn't make it today. The numbers don't add up compared to the stated capacities by some margin and I think the club should say something about it. If it's the case that the club are marking some seats as sold to reduce overcrowding and also issuing complimentary tickets which may or may not be used I think they should just say so. Not d!ck-waving; if we start turning people away next week and the attendance is announced at circa 7,000 for a nominal 9k capacity stadium people who couldn't get a ticket will say hang on a minute I couldn't get a ticket yet the stadium was only 80% full...

Now that I think about it, you have a point. When I bought my ticket for the Yeovil match last Saturday, there were slim pickings for a decent seat and I went all over the ground on the web system, which from memory looked about 1000 left to select from. I do find it odd that the ticket sales, announced availability and the final attendance seem to differ so much. I bought my ticket for today as it was the only edge of the row available in the whole ground, yet today, the seat next to me was empty and I asked the lads near me if it was one of theirs and they said no.

If I compare it to the tickets that were available to me for the Notts County game, looking at what was available on that same Saturday, I'd say the crowd was already at 6000 against Notts County, but after today's attendance that seems ridiculous.

It looks like we're pre-'allocating' tickets somewhere and blocking out people buying up seats.
Posted by: golfer, October 23, 2021, 9:59pm; Reply: 37
GTFC  -  What's going on ?
Posted by: HerveJosse, October 23, 2021, 10:00pm; Reply: 38
Block of about 20 seats over two rows all empty in prime upper youngs rows k and l around seat number 35ish near me today.
Posted by: Humbercod, October 23, 2021, 10:02pm; Reply: 39

Section B Row L empty
Posted by: Humbercod, October 23, 2021, 10:06pm; Reply: 40
Another consideration to take into account regarding the turnstile is the fat people, not being funny but if you’re to fat they open the gates for you. Probably not a big significance but they should all be adding up.
Posted by: supertown, October 23, 2021, 10:09pm; Reply: 41
I looked yesterday to get a couple of tickets and couldn’t find two together other than restricted views
Posted by: HerveJosse, October 23, 2021, 10:18pm; Reply: 42
All Town Aren’t We sites remaining ticket counter shows only around 700 those  left in ground for Notts county so with them bringing a large contingent looks like we are heading for another 6500 crowd!
Posted by: lukeo, October 23, 2021, 10:19pm; Reply: 43
Four points clear top of the league
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, October 23, 2021, 10:27pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from ginnywings

I work in the music/entertainment industry. Since the end of lockdown, despite ticket sales for events looking very healthy, attendances are not. I did a show at the Electric in Brixton which sold 2400 tickets (a sellout). 1600 attended. Party on a boat last week, sell out at 370 tickets. 245 attended. Venues are reporting between 10-20% no shows every Friday and Saturday. I'm assuming it's a mixture of Covid cases, people self-isolating and also timid/reluctant ticket holders changing their minds.
Posted by: Plankton, October 23, 2021, 10:37pm; Reply: 45
I've done my best Rainman impression and looked at all tickets available for the Notts County match and that's coming out around 670 with my counting. If Notts county sell out the away end at the capacity of 2200, then as it stands the crowd will reach 8332, before we sell any more of the home tickets.

Now then, we know that's not going to happen as we almost certainly have more than 670 seats available to sell and Notts county probably won't sell out the away end at full capacity.

I'm coming up with that we're giving away tickets somewhere.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, October 23, 2021, 10:40pm; Reply: 46
Can't be giving away hundreds of tickets surely, and if we are why not give away the restricted view tickets and then leave the better views for those who pay? Especially if those being given tickets cant be bothered to rock up.
Posted by: Plankton, October 23, 2021, 10:47pm; Reply: 47
Can't be giving away hundreds of tickets surely, and if we are why not give away the restricted view tickets and then leave the better views for those who pay? Especially if those being given tickets cant be bothered to rock up.

It's weird because the online system isn't matching the reality of the attendance. If you look, as I did for the Notts County match, it looks to be just shy of 700 left, which if we had 0 away fans would leave us with 6300 home fans, but that doesn't tally as we had a good splatter of home fans in the Osmond today and reached 6400

I will admit, I am doing napkin maths, but it seems something isn't adding up and I would love to be corrected with facts.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, October 23, 2021, 10:52pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from HerveJosse
All Town Aren’t We sites remaining ticket counter shows only around 700 those  left in ground for Notts county so with them bringing a large contingent looks like we are heading for another 6500 crowd!

A current home sell-out without the Osmond, and reflecting that we seem to be leaving a number of seats empty and will have some no-shows, is circa 6,150 based upon the Wrexham game, so I predict just over 7k with 900 from Notts.

Today's announced attendance was the second or third highest in terms of home fans in the National League and League 2 - only Swindon confirmed higher, no figure yet for Tranmere. Also better than half of the League 1 home fan numbers.
Posted by: Plankton, October 23, 2021, 11:06pm; Reply: 49

A current home sell-out without the Osmond, and reflecting that we seem to be leaving a number of seats empty and will have some no-shows, is circa 6,150 based upon the Wrexham game, so I predict just over 7k with 900 from Notts.

Today's announced attendance was the second or third highest in terms of home fans in the National League and League 2 - only Swindon confirmed higher, no figure yet for Tranmere. Also better than half of the League 1 home fan numbers.

Not sure that's a true stat to follow as you're discounting Bradford City as they played at Swindon, Bradford City average at 15,783, which is impossible for us.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, October 24, 2021, 12:11am; Reply: 50
Quoted from Plankton

Not sure that's a true stat to follow as you're discounting Bradford City as they played at Swindon, Bradford City average at 15,783, which is impossible for us.
Just games today not the average.

Posted by: Plankton, October 24, 2021, 12:40am; Reply: 51
Just games today not the average.

Fair point.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 24, 2021, 1:57am; Reply: 52
It's not a case of people buying tickets and not turning up 7000+ did turn up so why was they not all counted.?

I do not think it is fraud by our new owners but something is not right and they should explain to us why there is a difference in tickets issued and people attending.

Please.  :)
Posted by: OneLove, October 24, 2021, 6:33am; Reply: 53
it might of been a case of people buying yeovil tickets to get notts county tickets, like exiles from away, rig worker etc, a couple of mates have done that because of working away.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, October 24, 2021, 7:20am; Reply: 54
Turnstile operator was busy doing something else when I went in. Just let me though without scanning my season ticket so that won't have been counted.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, October 24, 2021, 7:47am; Reply: 55
Quoted from fishboyUTM
Turnstile operator was busy doing something else when I went in. Just let me though without scanning my season ticket so that won't have been counted.

This sounds like the bad old days of the club are still ingrained in some people , the new owners want serious people involved at all levels not the little steward who lets you in for a tenner in the findus types
Posted by: Humbercod, October 24, 2021, 8:12am; Reply: 56
Anyone queuing to enter turnstiles to pontoon stand check out the main gate and you will see stewards letting in people for a number of reasons, if 1 person cannot enter via turnstiles they are let in along with family and friends!
Posted by: grimps, October 24, 2021, 8:17am; Reply: 57
Well hopefully the club will be able to come up with some kind of explanation as if this continues there will be problems  
Posted by: fishboyUTM, October 24, 2021, 8:26am; Reply: 58
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

This sounds like the bad old days of the club are still ingrained in some people , the new owners want serious people involved at all levels not the little steward who lets you in for a tenner in the findus types

Appeared to be work related. Was writing something in a book. Reconciling numbers or something. Not really sure.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, October 24, 2021, 8:27am; Reply: 59
Quoted from Humbercod
Anyone queuing to enter turnstiles to pontoon stand check out the main gate and you will see stewards letting in people for a number of reasons, if 1 person cannot enter via turnstiles they are let in along with family and friends!

They are letting people in, they let me in the other week but I seem to remember they scanned my season ticket. Just an overflow I think and not a bad thing as keeps the queues down.
Posted by: Humbercod, October 24, 2021, 8:41am; Reply: 60
Quoted from fishboyUTM

They are letting people in, they let me in the other week but I seem to remember they scanned my season ticket. Just an overflow I think and not a bad thing as keeps the queues down.

Earlier poster reckons the scans don’t count entry it’s the turnstiles?
Posted by: moosey_club, October 24, 2021, 8:55am; Reply: 61
Can't believe people are moaning about the club are giving away "free" tickets....I would imagine these will be to schools, junior organisations etc , something that the club has been criticised for not doing previously.
It's the perfect time to be doing this, catch the next generation of supporter whilst the atmosphere, team and wins are piling up.

As for numbers on the actual day, there were two season ticket holders not sat next to me, so although pre match sales would indicate the seats are gone the attendance will be short. I am sure other people could say similar.

But if there are as mentioned full rows sitting empty then maybe something the club should check on to see if every seat is actually registered on the ticket site.

Posted by: grimps, October 24, 2021, 11:23am; Reply: 62
Quoted from moosey_club
Can't believe people are moaning about the club are giving away "free" tickets....I would imagine these will be to schools, junior organisations etc , something that the club has been criticised for not doing previously.
It's the perfect time to be doing this, catch the next generation of supporter whilst the atmosphere, team and wins are piling up.

As for numbers on the actual day, there were two season ticket holders not sat next to me, so although pre match sales would indicate the seats are gone the attendance will be short. I am sure other people could say similar.

But if there are as mentioned full rows sitting empty then maybe something the club should check on to see if every seat is actually registered on the ticket site.

I don’t think anyone has a problem with them giving away tickets , the problem would be if they’re giving away tickets and they’re not being used .
If there’s 600 people not attending when others are being locked out then there will be a lot of upset fans
Posted by: StaffsMariner, October 24, 2021, 1:01pm; Reply: 63
Average attendance of 5860 after 6 games with Wrexham being the only one you would expect a big crowd for is amazing.
Hopefully we give out less complimentary tickets against the likes of Notts to allow paying fans chance to get a ticket.
Posted by: jungleland, October 24, 2021, 2:20pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from fishboyUTM

This was my experience also    Showed my season ticket but was waved through without it being scanned
Posted by: Gaffer58, October 24, 2021, 2:43pm; Reply: 65
There could be a problem for those people who maybe cannot commit to going until the  Thursday/Friday prior to the game, they look on the seating plan and decide that because there may be not the required quantity together, or it’s in an area they don’t care for they don’t buy, but on the actual match day there are perfectly good seats empty that those people would have willingly paid for. So as said in earlier posts, if these empty seats are freebies that are not then being used then the situation needs addressing.
Posted by: Jaws, October 24, 2021, 2:53pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from Gaffer58
There could be a problem for those people who maybe cannot commit to going until the  Thursday/Friday prior to the game, they look on the seating plan and decide that because there may be not the required quantity together, or it’s in an area they don’t care for they don’t buy, but on the actual match day there are perfectly good seats empty that those people would have willingly paid for. So as said in earlier posts, if these empty seats are freebies that are not then being used then the situation needs addressing.

Imagine this week there may be people waiting to get paid as well, particularly after a few away games this month.
Posted by: lee65, October 24, 2021, 2:55pm; Reply: 67
Half term week, maybe some season ticket holders away?
Posted by: ginnywings, October 24, 2021, 4:26pm; Reply: 68
Is there really an issue? 6500 in the ground, over 7000 issued, so there was 2000 seats available somewhere if any paying fans wanted to attend.

If you want a better seat, get in early. I'd have gone in the Osmond if I hadn't have got my usual seat a couple of weeks back.
Posted by: NorthLondonMariner, October 24, 2021, 8:27pm; Reply: 69

I work in the music/entertainment industry. Since the end of lockdown, despite ticket sales for events looking very healthy, attendances are not. I did a show at the Electric in Brixton which sold 2400 tickets (a sellout). 1600 attended. Party on a boat last week, sell out at 370 tickets. 245 attended. Venues are reporting between 10-20% no shows every Friday and Saturday. I'm assuming it's a mixture of Covid cases, people self-isolating and also timid/reluctant ticket holders changing their minds.

I work in the same industry as you and you are absolutely correct. Since the end of the outdoor season, every single indoor gig I've worked I have seen a much bigger drop-off than you would normally expect.  KSI in Bristol a few weeks ago, for example, we had about 400 no-shows from 1350 sales.
Posted by: Poojah, October 24, 2021, 9:29pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from NorthLondonMariner

I work in the same industry as you and you are absolutely correct. Since the end of the outdoor season, every single indoor gig I've worked I have seen a much bigger drop-off than you would normally expect.  KSI in Bristol a few weeks ago, for example, we had about 400 no-shows from 1350 sales.

To be fair if I had tickets to see KSI I probably wouldn’t show up either.
Posted by: Yoda, October 24, 2021, 11:13pm; Reply: 71
Who is KSI.??
Posted by: NorthLondonMariner, October 25, 2021, 12:05am; Reply: 72
Quoted from Yoda
Who is KSI.??

Youtuber, come rapper. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVtFOytbRpEvzLjvqGG5gxQ
Posted by: MarinerDevil, October 25, 2021, 12:34am; Reply: 73
Average attendance table so far:
https://twitter.com/adam1862_/status/1452013806595547149?t=H9PtMctby982vjawNEHSZw&s=19
Some very well supported teams in this league.  We should be averaging over 6000 after next Saturday.  When was the last time we did that?
Posted by: Poojah, October 25, 2021, 8:27am; Reply: 74
Quoted from MarinerDevil
Average attendance table so far:
https://twitter.com/adam1862_/status/1452013806595547149?t=H9PtMctby982vjawNEHSZw&s=19
Some very well supported teams in this league.  We should be averaging over 6000 after next Saturday.  When was the last time we did that?

2002, in the second tier. Those crowds obviously inflated by much larger away followings.

Currently getting higher crowds than all but four sides in League Two, and ten in League One. Allowing for the mostly non-existent away followings we’ve had so far, the real picture is likely even better than that.
Posted by: supertown, October 25, 2021, 8:44am; Reply: 75
Quoted from ginnywings
Is there really an issue? 6500 in the ground, over 7000 issued, so there was 2000 seats available somewhere if any paying fans wanted to attend.

If you want a better seat, get in early. I'd have gone in the Osmond if I hadn't have got my usual seat a couple of weeks back.

But that’s not true. Like I said earlier in the thread, I looked to get 2 Friday afternoon and there were just restricted view available. Everywhere else shown as sold out
Posted by: ginnywings, October 25, 2021, 9:23am; Reply: 76
Quoted from supertown

But that’s not true. Like I said earlier in the thread, I looked to get 2 Friday afternoon and there were just restricted view available. Everywhere else shown as sold out

But the capacity is over 9000, so it is true. Restricted view is anything that has even the slightest of something in the eyeline, which is a lot of seats at BP.

My usual seat is classed as restricted view but the view is fine.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, October 25, 2021, 10:13am; Reply: 77
That's true ginny.

To solve that someone from the club could  literally sit in every 'restricted' view seat, take a picture and then hyperlink from the seat in the sales page to the picture so that anyone whose not familiar could see exactly what view they would be paying for.

Probably a day of one of the staff's time but would be worth it.
Posted by: Garth, October 25, 2021, 10:49am; Reply: 78
To be fair, to desperately want to attend and can't because the stands are reportedly sold out, only to find out after the match that there were plenty of seats available is amateurish by the club, and needs to be sorted ASAP whatever the cause. Sort it GTFC!
Posted by: Jaws, October 25, 2021, 10:56am; Reply: 79
Quoted from Garth
To be fair, to desperately want to attend and can't because the stands are reportedly sold out, only to find out after the match that there were plenty of seats available is amateurish by the club, and needs to be sorted ASAP whatever the cause. Sort it GTFC!

There was over 500 available tickets in the Osmond on the website up until they were taken off sale just prior to kick-off.
Posted by: grimps, October 25, 2021, 11:08am; Reply: 80
Quoted from Garth

Like we’ve all said over the last few weeks there is no way 5-600 paying fans aren’t turning up.
If there’s something wrong with the system or it’s something the club know about then it wouldn’t hurt to tell us as it’s looking like the Notts county game will be sold out by Today.
There  might be lots of drunk off people if there are rows of empty seats In the ground again on Saturday
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 25, 2021, 11:11am; Reply: 81
Ah let's not start going in with both feet on the club.

It's a learning curve and I'm confident people will learn from this.  Until 6 months ago the people at the head of his organisation (Stockwood and Debbie Cook) had no previous of running a football club.  The people who did and have remained in post had any inclination of acting on their own initiative sucked out of them.

It'll take time to change things.  Even then, when improvements are made there's always more to go at.

It needs addressing.  A disparity of 10% between tickets issued and the actual gates doesn't sit well with me.  Granted, some people just won't have gone having had a ticket but it won't account for the real figure.  Be it issues with the scanning system, free tickets getting wasted or people potentially missing out on going even when we've seats available is something to improve on.  But it will be improved on.
Posted by: MarinerWY, October 25, 2021, 11:12am; Reply: 82
Quoted from Jaws

There was over 500 available tickets in the Osmond on the website up until they were taken off sale just prior to kick-off.

Exactly - up to now, if you wanted a seat, you could get one including last minute. Maybe not in your preferred stand but in the Osmond right up till kick off and parts of the Main up to a day or so beforehand.

Notts County might be the first time people genuinely can't get tickets due to us not being able to allocate part of the Osmond to town fans. Having said that, tickets have been on sale for ages including to people with an 1878 membership, think we've had our tickets for a couple weeks now. Definitely hard on shift workers who can't commit to last minute but for most folk who can plan ahead, you can make sure you get a ticket.
Posted by: HerveJosse, October 25, 2021, 11:21am; Reply: 83
For me the issue reamsins I don’t believe the stated attendance was correct.yes empty seats is an issue particularly in sold it stands but if the capacity of the ground is just over 9000 as stated that would mean there were 2600 empty seats including those not in use eg behind the dugouts . That’s 1 in 3 in the ground as a whole .It just didn’t look anything like that .
Posted by: Jaws, October 25, 2021, 11:32am; Reply: 84
Quoted from diehardmariner
Ah let's not start going in with both feet on the club.

It's a learning curve and I'm confident people will learn from this.  Until 6 months ago the people at the head of his organisation (Stockwood and Debbie Cook) had no previous of running a football club.  The people who did and have remained in post had any inclination of acting on their own initiative sucked out of them.

It'll take time to change things.  Even then, when improvements are made there's always more to go at.

It needs addressing.  A disparity of 10% between tickets issued and the actual gates doesn't sit well with me.  Granted, some people just won't have gone having had a ticket but it won't account for the real figure.  Be it issues with the scanning system, free tickets getting wasted or people potentially missing out on going even when we've seats available is something to improve on.  But it will be improved on.

I'll be the first one saying the ticket office staff have plenty to improve on but let's cut them some slack.. the club has not been in a position where it is getting sell-out after sell-out. I agree the disparity does need to be sorted, but I think we'll get a statement on this. What will be interesting for me, is to know whether the current disparity has always been an issue. To me, and I suspect others, the announced attendances always seem lower than what's actually in the ground.
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 25, 2021, 12:12pm; Reply: 85
Maybe we're using the "missing" 500 to pay Fenty off quicker.  :)
Posted by: GollyGTFC, October 25, 2021, 12:27pm; Reply: 86
Quoted from Humbercod
Already mentioned a full row of empty seats in front of me in the ponny, but what I do find strange as been mentioned over 7000 issued?
Do we know how many freebies are issued to schools each week? As I can imagine quite a few absentees from these, the Covid scare is off again as well so many with tickets (and you can’t blame them) might think it’s to much of a risk.

How many of those empty seats in the Pontoon were actually piled in with their mates stood up in the top right corner?
Posted by: LondonMariner43, October 25, 2021, 12:30pm; Reply: 87
Quoted from Garth

Just because seats were empty it doesn’t mean they weren’t sold.  Season ticket holders on half term holiday, Covid self isolation, other last minute changes … there’s lots of reasons why someone ends up not going despite having a ticket.  It’s not the clubs fault
Posted by: pizzzza, October 25, 2021, 12:34pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from LondonMariner43

Season ticket holders on half term holiday,

What type of madman books a holiday during the football season?
Posted by: LN8Mariner, October 25, 2021, 12:48pm; Reply: 89
Quoted from LondonMariner43

Just because seats were empty it doesn’t mean they weren’t sold.  Season ticket holders on half term holiday, Covid self isolation, other last minute changes … there’s lots of reasons why someone ends up not going despite having a ticket.  It’s not the clubs fault

This. 2% covid infection rate in Yorkshire and Humber so that’s 140 wiped off straight away, some family may not want to go for that reason. 8% secondary school age children so that could mean uptake from schools on the free tickets is going to be little to none. Working in a school myself there’s been a lot of infections and almost as many (ahem) illnesses where the prescription must have been “go abroad”  ;) It’s the “busiest” October half term I’ve seen in 25 years for holidays so that will also knock a few off. Perhaps may struggle to get to 600-700…
Posted by: mariner83, October 25, 2021, 1:44pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from Humbercod

On Saturday I was walking towards the Ponny turnstile, and was told to ease the queues to go through the lower findus gates (ticket was scanned though).
Posted by: DB, October 25, 2021, 2:32pm; Reply: 91
It is amazing that this problem has never existed for 17 seasons, then after only 6 games we have this situation. It's not a good situation and needs sorting out, but after 17 years it's one of the better problems to have.

It does show that a sleeping giant has woken up. ;) ;)
Posted by: rancido, October 25, 2021, 2:48pm; Reply: 92
Maybe a member of The Trust can give their take on this or ask the appropriate people at the club. If "freebies" are being given out and not being used then that should be looked into. The numbers may be only small but then again a hundred unused freebies equates to lost revenue of at least £2,000/match approx or £44,000 over a season.
Posted by: mariner83, October 25, 2021, 3:08pm; Reply: 93
Quoted from rancido
Maybe a member of The Trust can give their take on this or ask the appropriate people at the club. If "freebies" are being given out and not being used then that should be looked into. The numbers may be only small but then again a hundred unused freebies equates to lost revenue of at least £2,000/match approx or £44,000 over a season.

[tweet]1452575094245580800[/tweet]

[tweet]1452599589543063555[/tweet]
Trust are already looking into it :)
Posted by: ginnywings, October 25, 2021, 3:27pm; Reply: 94
There are 3 reserved seats behind me that have had no one in them all season. I also talked to a lad I know on Saturday who had 2 tickets going spare from people who couldn't make the game. That's 5 missing bodies in the ground and I'm sure most will know of similar situations.
Posted by: lukeo, October 25, 2021, 4:04pm; Reply: 95
That's true ginny.

To solve that someone from the club could  literally sit in every 'restricted' view seat, take a picture and then hyperlink from the seat in the sales page to the picture so that anyone whose not familiar could see exactly what view they would be paying for.

Probably a day of one of the staff's time but would be worth it.

This sounds very sad and pathetic but I'd happily do this for the club when I come up on Wednesday free of charge, I'm sure others would aswell.
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 25, 2021, 4:54pm; Reply: 96
Quoted from lukeo

This sounds very sad and pathetic but I'd happily do this for the club when I come up on Wednesday free of charge, I'm sure others would aswell.

One thing I have been thinking of doing now for a while as a fundraiser is to sit in every seat in Blundell Park.  I think Robbie Savage and Alan Shearer did this a few years back at Wembley.

Obviously it wouldn't be anywhere near that feat but I have absolutely no idea how long it would take, if I ever did get round to doing it.
Posted by: Tinymariner, October 25, 2021, 5:33pm; Reply: 97
Quoted from rancido

It might be an idea to offer a voucher for a ticket to these companies or schools. If the voucher has not been redeemed by midday on match day then it will be sold.
Posted by: grimps, October 25, 2021, 6:00pm; Reply: 98
Quoted from Tinymariner

It might be an idea to offer a voucher for a ticket to these companies or schools. If the voucher has not been redeemed by midday on match day then it will be sold.

I think if it’s a school or a company they should at least have the decency to let the club know the day before
Posted by: golfer, October 25, 2021, 6:18pm; Reply: 99
Quoted from Les Brechin

One thing I have been thinking of doing now for a while as a fundraiser is to sit in every seat in Blundell Park.  I think Robbie Savage and Alan Shearer did this a few years back at Wembley.

Obviously it wouldn't be anywhere near that feat but I have absolutely no idea how long it would take, if I ever did get round to doing it.

I hurts my arrse sitting in my seat for 1 1/2 hours
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 25, 2021, 6:25pm; Reply: 100
Quoted from golfer

I hurts my arrse sitting in my seat for 1 1/2 hours

Is that why you sit by the aisle, do you can get up easier? 😄
Posted by: toontown, October 25, 2021, 8:53pm; Reply: 101
Quoted from grimps

I think if it’s a school or a company they should at least have the decency to let the club know the day before

The school won't know - the tickets will be give  out to individual kids and parents I suppose who go or don't, the school has no idea if they are going surely?
Posted by: ginnywings, October 25, 2021, 9:13pm; Reply: 102
Maybe it's always been the case that tickets issued doesn't correlate with match day attendance,

Did we state the number of tickets issued under the reign of JF?
Posted by: grimps, October 25, 2021, 9:59pm; Reply: 103
Quoted from toontown

The school won't know - the tickets will be give  out to individual kids and parents I suppose who go or don't, the school has no idea if they are going surely?

I think it was a. If more organised than that , I always used to see big groups of school kids or kids football teams in the Main stand and they used to come as a group
Posted by: LH, October 25, 2021, 10:05pm; Reply: 104
Quoted from ginnywings
There are 3 reserved seats behind me that have had no one in them all season. I also talked to a lad I know on Saturday who had 2 tickets going spare from people who couldn't make the game. That's 5 missing bodies in the ground and I'm sure most will know of similar situations.

The first season back in L2 last time I had four season tickets next to me which were used for three games. In that case it was a corporate group who used them for Donny, Pompey and whoever it was against for the match they had sponsored.
Posted by: RonMariner, October 25, 2021, 10:30pm; Reply: 105
I must say that when you look at the huge areas in the three open corners, there is scope for hundreds of extra seats. I accept that the fan zone should stay, but the other two corners could surely come into play if we start getting consistent sell outs.
Posted by: gtfckyle, October 26, 2021, 9:23am; Reply: 106
Quoted from RonMariner
I must say that when you look at the huge areas in the three open corners, there is scope for hundreds of extra seats. I accept that the fan zone should stay, but the other two corners could surely come into play if we start getting consistent sell outs.

Key word is IF, they'd be the last seats sold in the ground if they were as they used to be. Open to the elements in winter, I couldn't think of anything worse.

It's been said here but there were still hundreds of seats to be taken in the Osmond, naybody who wanted to go Saturday just gone (or any other time this season so far) could have done so.

That is obviosuly very close to changing against Notts but that situation is likely to only happen 2 or 3 times this season unless we get another swell of supporters selling out the Osmond.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 2:02pm