Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Yoda, October 23, 2021, 6:05pm
I thought he had a great game today, a real handful up front all game took his penalty well.
The chance second half he was stretching and it wasn’t the greatest pass.
Always gives 100% and a real fan’s favourite.
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 23, 2021, 6:06pm; Reply: 1

You feeling alright Yoda mate?
Posted by: lukeo, October 23, 2021, 6:07pm; Reply: 2
Incase any negative points about him come up, we need to remember PH has Taylor as his no1 striker and has tried to bring another in.

I like LJL providing he has the right people around him and tactics when he is playing. By the sound of the radio we have that. UTM 4 points clear.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, October 23, 2021, 6:07pm; Reply: 3
Worked his socks off and that chance really was a bad pass
Posted by: RonMariner, October 23, 2021, 6:13pm; Reply: 4
Well, if he scores in every game he starts, which he has done this season, then I'll be more than happy.
Posted by: blundellpork, October 23, 2021, 6:14pm; Reply: 5
Whilst the penalty and the miss were the two standout moments, I think it’s generous to say he had a good game. The ball bounced off him plenty of times, and he rarely managed to link up with anyone else. I thought it was a poor performance in truth.
Posted by: aldi_01, October 23, 2021, 6:14pm; Reply: 6
He’s never gonna finish so much as a dinner but he does bring plenty to the side…

To be honest, the miss was a shocker, regardless of how good or bad the ball was…that said, Mcatee should not be squaring that ball…
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 23, 2021, 6:22pm; Reply: 7
It’s been said by the fans of most teams Lenny has played for that his first touch is so bad that his second touch is usually a 50/50 challenge.

He’s different, in the same way as Akinfenwa is different. Possible that several have to adapt to not having Taylor there. As has been said, he’s two in two and I couldn’t care less if that continues.
Posted by: Maringer, October 23, 2021, 6:22pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from blundellpork
Whilst the penalty and the miss were the two standout moments, I think it’s generous to say he had a good game. The ball bounced off him plenty of times, and he rarely managed to link up with anyone else. I thought it was a poor performance in truth.

That's nonsense. His link up play was pretty good today and he was involved in most of our better attacking play. He's always missed good chances and will continue to do so but he's still a useful backup for Taylor.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, October 23, 2021, 6:25pm; Reply: 9
He gives his all and the ball sticks well usually. Hold the ball up and brings others into play. He's probably past his best, doesn't seem to pull away from players like his first spell, looks on the heavy side though I don't doubt it's muscle. I don't rate him as a finisher, which is his primary job. I'd like to see another centre forward brought in as I just don't think he's good enough for a championship challenging side at this level. See him as backup.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, October 23, 2021, 6:26pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from aldi_01
He’s never gonna finish so much as a dinner but he does bring plenty to the side…

To be honest, the miss was a shocker, regardless of how good or bad the ball was…that said, Mcatee should not be squaring that ball…

LJL is low on confidence and I think McAtee was trying to help him out. Backfired and could have cost us.

But, we got 3 points so we move on.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, October 23, 2021, 6:29pm; Reply: 11
Every team. Every year. The same posters on here require a scapegoat.

Step forward LJL. He brings a lot to the team, gives 100% and is a valuable member of the squad.

Just enjoy being top and stop singling people out. It’s embarrassing.
Posted by: Oly1987, October 23, 2021, 6:33pm; Reply: 12
No wonder his confidence is low. Imagine scoring 2 and getting 1 (possibly more) assists and the fans still not thinking he's good enough.
Posted by: AlwaysHaddock1878, October 23, 2021, 6:34pm; Reply: 13
People who understand football knows what he offers. Very easy to differentiate the simpletons by the criticism LJL receives.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, October 23, 2021, 6:36pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from fishboyUTM
He gives his all and the ball sticks well usually. Hold the ball up and brings others into play. He's probably past his best, doesn't seem to pull away from players like his first spell, looks on the heavy side though I don't doubt it's muscle. I don't rate him as a finisher, which is his primary job. I'd like to see another centre forward brought in as I just don't think he's good enough for a championship challenging side at this level. See him as backup.

You don’t have to be a goalscoring forward. It’s what you bring to the team offensively and defensively. Firmino, despite his recent goal splurge, isn’t exactly prolific; he never has been but he’s one of the most important cogs in the Liverpool squad.

Ross Hannah could sniff out a goal but he couldn’t hold the ball up, couldn’t work the channels and couldn’t defend. I’d much rather have Lennie IF you have goals in the rest of the team. We didn’t last year. We appear to have this now.
Posted by: Running like emson, October 23, 2021, 6:44pm; Reply: 15
I’ve just found out we didn’t win 3-0. Gobsmacked !!
Posted by: RobDef1, October 23, 2021, 6:47pm; Reply: 16
I love Lenny. There are 4 people that sit behind me that literally spend the whole game berating him and calling him a useless pillock etc. They are deadly silent every time he holds the ball up or wins a flick on, or scores for that matter. But anything he does wrong he is the devil apparently. Even when the game is going nowhere they are constantly just talking about how crap and utterly useless he is.

The guy sat next to me nudged me at one point and said 'I'm gonna have to say something in a minute'. Its absolutely out of order and they clearly have no sense of what he brings to the team, which is plenty IMO
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, October 23, 2021, 6:50pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from AlwaysHaddock1878
People who understand football knows what he offers. Very easy to differentiate the simpletons by the criticism LJL receives.

100% this...
Posted by: Humbercod, October 23, 2021, 6:58pm; Reply: 18
I get fans trying to be positive towards him and I’m one, I was buzzing for him when he scored and hoped he would go on to have a stormer. But the brutal fact is he isn’t good enough for this league never mind a title chasing team. How many times did he stray into an off side position when great balls were put through to him? How many times did he lose the ball or give away? He must be the strongest player physically but goes down very easy, I get he’s a bit of a lump and hold the ball up well but that is not enough!

He’s a supposed to be a striker but it’s not even a joke now when people say he scores about 1 in every 10+ chances, that was an open goal today and could of cost us, an embarrassing miss even he would have to admit.

I hope I’m wrong and it’s just a bit of rustiness I would love him to prove me wrong, but we have been here so many times with him but now he’s getting on a bit in footballing terms, I don’t know what Hurst sees in him to warrant a full 90mins today, I mean where was Max Wright what a kick in the teeth he looked really sharp coming on against Woking.
Posted by: grimps, October 23, 2021, 7:01pm; Reply: 19
To be fair Lennies got broad shoulders , maybe it’s better they’re on his back than one of the younger lads .
Like I said a few weeks ago we’re not going to be loaned a striker  that’ll come here and sit on our bench
Posted by: lukeo, October 23, 2021, 7:08pm; Reply: 20
Everytime I see a negative post I'm posting this below.

Four points clear top of the league
Posted by: Phil the cod, October 23, 2021, 7:16pm; Reply: 21
At least they're leaving Peter bore alone......
LJL helped us cope with the physical threat Yeovil had, most probably lost that game had Lennie not been picked.
Posted by: moosey_club, October 23, 2021, 7:22pm; Reply: 22
He played...

He tried...

He wasn't lazy....

He scored....

3 points.

Utm
Posted by: mariner91, October 23, 2021, 8:04pm; Reply: 23
He’s a great squad player and you know he will always give everything and be a nuisance for the opposition. I think we do need another striker but more just to give us something different from our strikers. And we are also very light in numbers up top.
Posted by: Plankton, October 23, 2021, 8:08pm; Reply: 24
You could see the look on his face how gutted he was when he didn't put that squared chance away. He was physical, kept the ball, opened up the play with passes and he just didn't get an open play goal. He did alright and we won the game.

I'm sure if someone said do you want to be top of the league, win a game 2-0 when playing average and the only thing to moan about is that it wasn't by a few more? We'd all have taken that at the beginning of the season.
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, October 23, 2021, 8:47pm; Reply: 25
Love Lenny. Let’s face it we all love The Shop

Brings tonnes to the team and his work rate and physicality is brilliant. Did superb today in every area of his game, apart from the howler of a miss and one errant pass.

But, no matter how much we all love the guy, if he misses a chance like that and it costs us promotion, then I’m afraid it then becomes unforgivable.

It’s a horrible situation because we are all so fond of him and we are all willing him to do the business
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 23, 2021, 8:48pm; Reply: 26
Whatever some may think Lennie will be sat at home smiling knowing he scored in a winning performance, experienced forwards tend to focus on the positives rather than misses.

Every side especially at this level needs a LJL type player and he maybe should have put that chance away but I would imagine he was a bit surprised to see McAtee pass to be quite honest.

The chance where Clifton brought a really good save from their keeper was created by the work LJL did that’s all you need to know.
Posted by: LH, October 23, 2021, 8:50pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Fillipe Noche

But, no matter how much we all love the guy, if he misses a chance like that and it costs us promotion, then I’m afraid it then becomes unforgivable.  

Unforgiveable is allowing us to drop down into the Conference. Twice.
Posted by: Plankton, October 23, 2021, 8:53pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Whatever some may think Lennie will be sat at home smiling knowing he scored in a winning performance, experienced forwards tend to focus on the positives rather than misses.

Every side especially at this level needs a LJL type player and he maybe should have put that chance away but I would imagine he was a bit surprised to see McAtee pass to be quite honest.

The chance where Clifton brought a really good save from their keeper was created by the work LJL did that’s all you need to know.

Which is exactly what Hurst said in his interview that McAtee shouldn't be passing that ball. The fact that we can analyse one specific ball in a game we won 2-0 shows how far we've come.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, October 23, 2021, 8:56pm; Reply: 29

Brings tonnes to the team and his work rate and physicality is brilliant. Did superb today in every area of his game, apart from the howler of a miss and one errant pass.

It’s a horrible situation because we are all so fond of him and we are all willing him to do the business

Your drivel and nepotistic sycophancy is unforgivable. Missing a chance is never and never will be unforgivable.

Get a grip!
Posted by: dicko995, October 23, 2021, 9:03pm; Reply: 30
Lenny is a clone of Akinde, takes penalties, and fk all else, those who think hes our main striker need to give their head a wobble, Hes a liability, his layoffs today were appawling, never ran, poor positioning, never thought of being offside, missed a sitter, only just scored the penalty,which he snatched the ball and was adamant he was taking it. Sorry, but the jury is out on this one, were all sat in the Findus box shouting for Hurst to replace him after 25 minutes. Just hope Taylor shakes off the covid for tuesday.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, October 23, 2021, 9:06pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from dicko995
Lenny is a clone of Akinde, takes penalties, and fk all else, those who think hes our main striker need to give their head a wobble, Hes a liability, his layoffs today were appawling, never ran, poor positioning, never thought of being offside, missed a sitter, only just scored the penalty,which he snatched the ball and was adamant he was taking it. Sorry, but the jury is out on this one, were all sat in the Findus box shouting for Hurst to replace him after 25 minutes. Just hope Taylor shakes off the covid for tuesday.

The mind boggles…
Posted by: MarinerDevil, October 23, 2021, 9:15pm; Reply: 32
Well Taylor is going to miss Wealdstone and Notts County because of the enforced isolation period, so Lenny will almost certainly be starting those games.  Glad he scored the pen today - we need him at his best for next week.

Not sure why there's so much fighting on here tonight, just grab a drink (or your poison of choice) and relax, we're four points clear.
Posted by: Hagrid, October 23, 2021, 9:17pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from dicko995

Now that is appalling
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 23, 2021, 9:19pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from dicko995

Might be wise to look through the COVID rules. You won’t be seeing those infected until November 6th
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, October 23, 2021, 9:21pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from MarinerDevil
Well Taylor is going to miss Wealdstone and Notts County because of the enforced isolation period, so Lenny will almost certainly be starting those games.  Glad he scored the pen today - we need him at his best for next week.

Not sure why there's so much fighting on here tonight, just grab a drink (or your poison of choice) and relax, we're four points clear.

Probably because it’s the same negative bunch singling out players who are doing their best. And this is when we are four points clear with a manager that many on here are willing to fail.

I am no ‘happy clapper’. I called out Payne last season for that self-inflicted red card but there are a few posters on here who obviously know absolutely nothing about football. It’s just bizarre. I don’t go on medical forums and start posting nonsense about triple bypass techniques just because I once watched Holby City in my pants.
Posted by: Plankton, October 23, 2021, 9:28pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from dicko995

If you listen to Hurst after the game you'll know why LJL takes the ball for the penalty as it was decided before the game who's taking a peno. As for the rest, you're insufferable and frankly, stupid.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 23, 2021, 9:40pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from dicko995

WATAW?
Posted by: aldi_01, October 23, 2021, 9:59pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from dicko995

This hurts my head…are you the boring Alf Ramsay wannabe girl private that sits behind me? Moan all game, when players like Fowler take their time and create space start shouting to get it forward?

The mind truly boggles…everybody knows Lenny couldn’t finish a dinner but with goals all over the side at the minute it’s hardly a massive concern…

And you really need to read the Covid rules mate, I don’t take any interest or particularly give a excrement about Covid but Taylor will not be playing Tuesday…
Posted by: quebec38, October 23, 2021, 10:19pm; Reply: 39
Thought he was good first half and then tired for the second. Understandable with the amount of game time he’s had.
Posted by: lukeo, October 23, 2021, 10:20pm; Reply: 40

Four points clear top of the league
Posted by: sydney, October 23, 2021, 10:23pm; Reply: 41
Wins 90% of headers
Posted by: Oly1987, October 23, 2021, 11:06pm; Reply: 42
Lenny has started the last 2 games, has scored 2 and got an assist and we won both of them
Posted by: Garth, October 23, 2021, 11:16pm; Reply: 43
Will no doubt score again on Tuesday
Posted by: Poojah, October 23, 2021, 11:52pm; Reply: 44

Indeed. The effigy of Jon-Paul Pittman at today’s game is testament to this.

As trolls go, I’ll admit you’re quite good at getting a rise out of people, but could you not just go and have a wànk or something instead? If only your dad had done that…
Posted by: StaffsMariner, October 24, 2021, 12:09am; Reply: 45
I'm unsure if all the fans who dont like Lenny realise that this is his pre-season. He and Taylor missed pre-season then played a couple of half games each before getting injured again.
He's now back fit just in time with Taylor out so give the guy chance to get some match fitness before slating him.
Hes a top player in this division at what he does
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, October 24, 2021, 2:09am; Reply: 46

Bore off you miserable girl private
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 24, 2021, 2:23am; Reply: 47
I only call players for not trying or giving their all.

The shop always gives 100% but he will miss chances and his passes are not always to one of our players.

BUT

At this level you will not find a better target man who steps up when required.

Taylor is first choice and the shop is there when Taylor is unavailable.
Posted by: 137 (Guest), October 24, 2021, 3:09am; Reply: 48
I've posted something like this a few times over the years: if there's any player in any team who (some) fans think isn't worth his place, their issue is with
the manager who picked him - not the player. The player has signed a contract that obliges him to play when picked.

I'm not having this criticism of LJL...he gives 100% for the team every time he pulls on a Grimsby shirt.
The Yeovil defenders will certainly know they've been in a game.

Badmouthing one of our own is low-class 'supporting'.
Posted by: BeijingMariner, October 24, 2021, 8:13am; Reply: 49
It's encouraging to see all this support for the Shop. He does give 100%, always. He clearly is great with the squad. He has scored two goals from 2 starts (correct?). Pretty sure McAttee's pass was not convertible yesterday.
Posted by: Humbercod, October 24, 2021, 8:45am; Reply: 50
Quoted from Poojah

Indeed. The effigy of Jon-Paul Pittman at today’s game is testament to this.

As trolls go, I’ll admit you’re quite good at getting a rise out of people, but could you not just go and have a wànk or something instead? If only your dad had done that…

Come on bit over the top! Nothing wrong with that post give the guy a break.
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, October 24, 2021, 8:53am; Reply: 51
After seeing the miss on youtube, I wouldn't lay the blame at Lenny's door for the miss.

All those moaning about Lenny would have been the same people who used to moan at Livvo because he didn't score enough. As strikers there is more to a team game than just putting just scoring.
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, October 24, 2021, 8:56am; Reply: 52
Quoted from Humbercod

Cheers.

Last game of the season, he misses that chance, it costs us the game and Chesterfield go up automatically instead.
Then let’s see how the fickles react to Lenny. That understanding and fondness will count for nothing then.

To those that are suggesting that if he was scoring goals, he wouldn’t be playing for Grimsby, I give you this. Omar Bogle and Podge. Liam Hearn. Oh and whilst you are at it, Cheek at Bromley, Tshimanga at Chesterfield. Add into that McAtee and Taylor who are looking more than capable of getting somewhere near 20 goals this season.

Lenny is Lenny. Gives plenty but his finishing blots his copybook. Don’t excuse the miss by saying he was stretching. It was a tap in
Posted by: Poojah, October 24, 2021, 8:57am; Reply: 53
Quoted from Humbercod

If a player trying his best to carry out his duties for the club misses an important goal, is it “unforgivable”?

If the guy wants a break I’d suggest he stops pretending he used to be ‘someone’ at the club (he blatantly didn’t) and stops posting inflammatory bullshít designed to wind people up for no other reason than his own pathetic titillation. He’s the sort of character endemic of this modern digital age who I imagine when he’s not peddling his shíte on here is trolling the social media profiles of Little Mix, despite the fact the only shag he’s ever had was from his uncle.
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, October 24, 2021, 9:00am; Reply: 54
Quoted from Poojah

If a player trying his best to carry out his duties for the club misses an important goal, is it “unforgivable”?

If the guy wants a break I’d suggest he stops pretending he used to be ‘someone’ at the club (he blatantly didn’t) and stops posting inflammatory bullshít designed to wind people up for no other reason than his own pathetic titillation. He’s the sort of character endemic of this modern digital age who I imagine when he’s not peddling his shíte on here is trolling the social media profiles of Little Mix, despite the fact the only shag he’s ever had was from his uncle.

Pot kettle black from quite possible the most narcissistic person that spends most of his life on this message board

PS. I don’t want a break
Posted by: Poojah, October 24, 2021, 9:10am; Reply: 55

Pot kettle black from quite possible the most narcissistic person that spends most of his life on this message board

PS. I don’t want a break

Most of my life on this messageboard, with a daily post ratio a quarter of yours? Ok mate.

I’m not one to have personal digs at people on here, but I draw the line where their sole purpose is to disrupt the wider conversation in order to gain attention.

That, my friend, is narcissism.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 24, 2021, 9:24am; Reply: 56

Cheers.

Last game of the season, he misses that chance, it costs us the game and Chesterfield go up automatically instead.
Then let’s see how the fickles react to Lenny. That understanding and fondness will count for nothing then.

To those that are suggesting that if he was scoring goals, he wouldn’t be playing for Grimsby, I give you this. Omar Bogle and Podge. Liam Hearn. Oh and whilst you are at it, Cheek at Bromley, Tshimanga at Chesterfield. Add into that McAtee and Taylor who are looking more than capable of getting somewhere near 20 goals this season.

Lenny is Lenny. Gives plenty but his finishing blots his copybook. Don’t excuse the miss by saying he was stretching. It was a tap in

What a stupid comment, I will guarantee that in any game he'll miss a chance, especially in this side who are creating lots more chances than we've done in years. All forwards do another hypothetical scenario based upon what we've seen this season to date "could be" that McAtee will miss a penalty.  
Posted by: Ipswin, October 24, 2021, 9:30am; Reply: 57
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

All those moaning about Lenny would have been the same people who used to moan at Livvo because he didn't score enough. As strikers there is more to a team game than just putting just scoring.

Please! I can put up with all the simpering love for LJL but to even mention him in the same breath as Livvo is just too much. He is not fit to have laced Livvos boots, Livvo was a footballer
Posted by: jimgtfc, October 24, 2021, 9:41am; Reply: 58
Agree with those saying it was a poor pass from McAtee, not sure why he’s not hitting that. Also yep, Lennie’s work rate is never in question, yesterday was no exception.

I think Paul Hurst has been spoiling us though. Ryan Taylor has shown us just how good a target man can be, and through no fault of his own, Lennie is no Taylor. The main difference between them is that John Lewis flicks it on or lays it off hoping someone will get on the end of it. Taylor flicks it on or lays it off knowing there’s someone on the end of it. He’s essential to the way we play and the perfect foil for your McAtee’s, Sousa’s and Bapaga’s.

I think if yesterday taught us anything, it’s how good Ryan Taylor is, not how poor Lennie is.
Posted by: mariner91, October 24, 2021, 9:53am; Reply: 59
Quoted from jimgtfc
Agree with those saying it was a poor pass from McAtee, not sure why he’s not hitting that. Also yep, Lennie’s work rate is never in question, yesterday was no exception.

I think Paul Hurst has been spoiling us though. Ryan Taylor has shown us just how good a target man can be, and through no fault of his own, Lennie is no Taylor. The main difference between them is that John Lewis flicks it on or lays it off hoping someone will get on the end of it. Taylor flicks it on or lays it off knowing there’s someone on the end of it. He’s essential to the way we play and the perfect foil for your McAtee’s, Sousa’s and Bapaga’s.

I think if yesterday taught us anything, it’s how good Ryan Taylor is, not how poor Lennie is.

I think the bit about Taylor is the crux of the matter. There will not be a classier target man in this division and we really are spoilt to have him. Lenny is a little less refined but still does a job for us and creates space and havoc just through his sheer size and effort. But we do need another striker, can’t be going in to difficult games with no recognised striker available off the bench.
Posted by: Poojah, October 24, 2021, 9:54am; Reply: 60
5:30 for the miss. Everything about that needed to be a bit better, from the pass by McAtee to Lennie’s finish, but one way or another it’s a travesty that didn’t end up in the back of the net.

One observation I’d make is that it’s quite a smart run from Lennie to end up unmarked at the back post like that, but that’s almost part of his issue - he’s got great instinct to get himself in dangerous positions but not quite the finisher’s instinct he needs to complete the job, hence the perception of so many missed chances.

https://youtu.be/KjbeareQ1h8
Posted by: marinernige, October 24, 2021, 9:59am; Reply: 61

Cheers.

If last game of the season , Town get a penalty to win the game and win the league , LJL will be the first player to step up and take it,he's got that much bottle .
Posted by: Poojah, October 24, 2021, 10:04am; Reply: 62
Quoted from marinernige

If last game of the season , Town get a penalty to win the game and win the league , LJL will be the first player to step up and take it,he's got that much bottle .

I agree with you fully, but that’s a scenario which sends a shiver down my spine…
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 24, 2021, 10:06am; Reply: 63
Quoted from blundellpork

Agree. His first touch was often poor. Thought he played better against Bromsgrove. He didn't have that understanding with the other players yesterday, but I don't know if that was him nodding on the ball willy nilly or whether the other players were at fault for not being where they should have.
Posted by: Ipswin, October 24, 2021, 10:12am; Reply: 64
Quoted from Poojah
5:30 for the miss. Everything about that needed to be a bit better, from the pass by McAtee to Lennie’s finish, but one way or another it’s a travesty that didn’t end up in the back of the net.

One observation I’d make is that it’s quite a smart run from Lennie to end up unmarked at the back post like that, but that’s almost part of his issue - he’s got great instinct to get himself in dangerous positions but not quite the finisher’s instinct he needs to complete the job, hence the perception of so many missed chances.

https://youtu.be/KjbeareQ1h8

Look at the scoreboard just as LJL misses.

Posted by: Poojah, October 24, 2021, 10:27am; Reply: 65
Quoted from Ipswin

Look at the scoreboard just as LJL misses.

Great spot, a little to keen on the ‘goal’ button from the scoreboard operator there…
Posted by: horsforthmariner, October 24, 2021, 10:32am; Reply: 66
Lenny is big and powerful, scares defences and gets in good positions. If he could finish he'd be playing several divisions above. He's our third best striker, a decent option as a fill in if Mcatee or Taylor are injured or a sub in the last 20 minutes. He's a good, committed squad player and people should get off his back.

We've had the best start to a campaign ever. Can we just accept we don't need a boo boy - they've all been phenomenal.
Posted by: pontoonlew, October 24, 2021, 10:42am; Reply: 67
Quoted from horsforthmariner
Lenny is big and powerful, scares defences and gets in good positions. If he could finish he'd be playing several divisions above. He's our third best striker, a decent option as a fill in if Mcatee or Taylor are injured or a sub in the last 20 minutes. He's a good, committed squad player and people should get off his back.

We've had the best start to a campaign ever. Can we just accept we don't need a boo boy - they've all been phenomenal.

I hear this ‘if he could finish he’d be playing levels above’ all the time and I can’t buy it. Ryan Taylor is better at holding the ball up imo and he’s still scoring goals at this level.

The fact LJL regularly has pages debating his abilities shows me that there’s something in it, because no other player in the squad has been questioned this much. Either fans specifically have it ‘in’ for him or there’s some justification in it.

A lot of it is of course, well over the top, but for fans of LJL to claim it’s a witch hunt without any foundations is a falsehood as well IMO
Posted by: friskneymariner, October 24, 2021, 10:47am; Reply: 68
Quoted from dicko995

Case of Nominative determinism.
Posted by: tashee69, October 24, 2021, 11:10am; Reply: 69

Cheers.

Last game of the season, he misses that chance, it costs us the game and Chesterfield go up automatically instead

A season is 44 games, if we’d have blown it, then you could easily blame other games as much as the last one, Maidenhead for example.
Posted by: grimps, October 24, 2021, 11:26am; Reply: 70
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
After seeing the miss on youtube, I wouldn't lay the blame at Lenny's door for the miss.

I can’t remember Lester scoring more than ten a season but he did a lot more than score
Posted by: It Bites, October 24, 2021, 11:31am; Reply: 71
Having seen the miss if anyone is to blame it has to be JM . Although if it had come off everyone would of been purring about a wonderful team goal. Slagging LJL off is about as boring as slagging Macca off
Posted by: Yoda, October 24, 2021, 12:37pm; Reply: 72
To say he hasn’t played for a long period of time he’s done really well.
I think of a lot of teams at this level would snap him up.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, October 24, 2021, 12:53pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from Yoda
To say he hasn’t played for a long period of time he’s done really well.
I think of a lot of teams at this level would snap him up.

Seeing it again I didn't realise McAtee had so much space and all the time in the world to slam it past the keeper so I suppose Lennie was not expecting the pass at all. It was a bad miss, but not quite as bad given those circumstances. At 1-0, McAtee has to score there.

These are just observations, as I am absolutely made up with this team who are fast becoming one of my favourite Town sides, even allowing for the fact they are in the National League.

Yeovil were much better than anticipated and gave us a good test which we overcame.
Posted by: RonMariner, October 24, 2021, 1:07pm; Reply: 74

Seeing it again I didn't realise McAtee had so much space and all the time in the world to slam it past the keeper so I suppose Lennie was not expecting the pass at all. It was a bad miss, but not quite as bad given those circumstances. At 1-0, McAtee has to score there.

Hurst agrees with you in his post match interview. And adds that it was not a good enough pass.

But then some of the posters on here think they know more about football than Hurst.........
Posted by: moosey_club, October 24, 2021, 1:17pm; Reply: 75
He scored the penalty, was involved in the second goal and but for a great save from their keeper could have had an assist for Clifton.

He is LJL, trying to compare him to anyone else is pointless.

Posted by: RonMariner, October 24, 2021, 1:21pm; Reply: 76
Anyone who thinks that was a ‘tap in’ is just plain stupid.

It took great awareness and athleticism to get into that position, and it was a bad pass from McAtee who should have buried it anyway.

So if you really must slag off our players, you should be having a go at McAtee who, by the way, has missed more penalties than Lenny this season.

Alternatively you could support the players who have taken us to the top of the league.
Posted by: HerveJosse, October 24, 2021, 2:09pm; Reply: 77
What I got from Hursts post match interview was that he felt it necessary to big up Lenny and take Macatee down a notch.Will be interesting to see how they fair as a partnership going forward as we need it to work for the next two games at least .Mcatee excellent as he is has greatly benefited from playing with Taylor.
Posted by: Bigdog, October 24, 2021, 3:03pm; Reply: 78
Great movement by both LJL and McAtee to create the opening. I don't think there was anything wrong with the pass, just Lenny was a tiny bit on his heels. Lenny will know he should have done better, both with his anticipation and execution. Understand people being over-protective of  LJL completely due to his honesty and workrate, but I can't believe people think we should be spurning chances like that. McAtee's awareness was just better in that situation.. You ask Lenny himself, he'll be beating himself up about it, and most probably rightly so..As a forward you dream of chances like that.. whatever level..
Posted by: Bigdog, October 24, 2021, 3:09pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from HerveJosse
What I got from Hursts post match interview was that he felt it necessary to big up Lenny and take Macatee down a notch.Will be interesting to see how they fair as a partnership going forward as we need it to work for the next two games at least .Mcatee excellent as he is has greatly benefited from playing with Taylor.

Got a sneaky feeling that Hurst may play Bapaga, Sousa and McAtee in a front three on Tuesday night, like he did against Bromley. Just a hunch..
Posted by: DB, October 24, 2021, 4:12pm; Reply: 80
This season let's all moan at Lenny, last season many on here commented how crap Waterfall was and we should have got rid of him.

Nobody is moaning about our golden boy Mcatee who had a one on one with the keeper but chose to pass to Lenny. Looking at the vid Mcatee should have buried it, but not any complaints like the ones Lenny got.

At the end of the day, it's a team game and we're top of the league and looking good. Why complain about any player this season. So far they have all been excellent and with 12 scorers so far, so I don't see a problem. Players miss goal scoring chances, it's part of the game, not a nice part for us but we have to live with it.

I have had my moan at Lenny, and others in the past, but there is no need to keep going on about him. Hurst decided Lenny is part of his squad and Hursty hasn't made many mistakes this season; so we just have to trust his judgement. P12 W9 D2 L1, not bad judgement.
Posted by: Abdul19, October 24, 2021, 4:45pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from grimps

I can’t remember Lester scoring more than ten a season but he did a lot more than score

Aye, most he ever got in a league season was 5.
Posted by: exiledmeggie, October 24, 2021, 5:00pm; Reply: 82
It is the team that wins.

The Shop is part of the team!
Posted by: HerveJosse, October 24, 2021, 6:45pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from Bigdog

Got a sneaky feeling that Hurst may play Bapaga, Sousa and McAtee in a front three on Tuesday night, like he did against Bromley. Just a hunch..

I think that was because of the plastic pitch and it being to zippy for Lennie. Suspect it will be Lenny and Mcatee. Covid players out for next two as Hurst confirmed and presumambly Taylor is one of them
Posted by: Madeleymariner, October 24, 2021, 6:56pm; Reply: 84
Its funny Shop missed that chance, some have a go, McAtee fluffs 3 simple 2nd half chances at Altrincham that could have put us out of sight but no one was on his back after the game  :-/
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, October 24, 2021, 10:49pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from Abdul19

Aye, most he ever got in a league season was 5.

And loads of assists, including a lot of pens won…
Posted by: acko338, October 25, 2021, 9:16am; Reply: 86
So pleased that social media wasn't around when Livvo was playing !

Come on, we know the Shop's limitations, and always have done, but the ball usually sticks up front and he gives centre halves a hard match.

There will be no complaints if he knocks in 6 to 8 penalties over the season, and any "in play" goals will be a bonus.

He plays his part when selected and always gives 100% to the best of his abilities.

We are really lucky that the TEAM is playing well and goals are being spread out, thus taking some pressure off Lenny to be the 30 goals a season striker and holding Hurst back from rushing into another loan signing.

His thick skin takes fan pressure off Clifton, Wright and McKeown as they have all been in the same place, as was Waterfall last season !

Why can't we all just enjoy the fact that this is a TEAM worth watching, and enjoy each game as it comes???

Best start for years, and some oddballs STILL have to berate players ???

Are you fans or serial moaners at the end of a keyboard ???

Just back the TEAM please, most other fans are doing just that !!
Posted by: Youngy, October 25, 2021, 4:40pm; Reply: 87
Since Lenny came back, in terms of minutes on the pitch, he's averaging 1 in 3. If he continues at that ratio then he's made a positive goal scoring contribution.
Posted by: Phil the cod, October 25, 2021, 7:07pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Its funny Shop missed that chance, some have a go, McAtee fluffs 3 simple 2nd half chances at Altrincham that could have put us out of sight but no one was on his back after the game  :-/

Agree, Lennie's the scapegoat this season.
The lad gives 100* every game, hope he bangs a hat trick in on Tuesday and shuts all these Muppets up.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 25, 2021, 7:55pm; Reply: 89
Quoted from Madeleymariner

100% this.
Posted by: Abdul19, October 25, 2021, 9:53pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

And loads of assists, including a lot of pens won…

Aye, well that was the original point I think.
Posted by: denni266, October 25, 2021, 10:10pm; Reply: 91
Lennie is what he is , a very good work horse , He gives the defenders a hard time  and he brings others in to the game . Its just that he also has the knack of getting in positions that give him a chance to score , but he not very good at putting it in the onion bag .. He will get better not a lot but better, And  he does give 100% every time.
Posted by: Norseman, October 26, 2021, 12:23am; Reply: 92
Cannot believe anyone would say it was any more than an easy tap in .To blame mcatee for passing to someone with an open goal is ridiculous .
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 9:18am