Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Brazilnut, October 23, 2021, 1:57am
Yes we are all very happy with the ways things are going  I thought  very tongue in cheek I would post a couple of downsides to Towns success

1 No longer get that sympathetic look when I walk into work in Doncaster on Monday morning  with a whispered phrase ....."oh did you go on saturday "

2 I can no longer use Town to threaten my lad ....ie  if you dont tidy your bedroom I will take you to the match on Saturday

3 The wife is for the first time reluctant for me to go to the match  because I might enjoy myself ,  she never had that worry before , she will be planning Saturday afternoon shopping trips soon

can anyone else think of other downsides
Posted by: GY1, October 23, 2021, 2:51am; Reply: 1
no
Posted by: aldi_01, October 23, 2021, 7:00am; Reply: 2
Takes longer to get out the ground, nothing to moan about, many a thread talking about increased capacity, more folk in the pub so takes longer to get a pint…

In truth, I like the tongue in cheek nature of the post but at this moment in time there really isn’t anything we can moan about with our current situation…
Posted by: jimgtfc, October 23, 2021, 7:30am; Reply: 3
I live near peoples park, it felt like I parked the car at Barnetby top last time, the walk seemed that far away!
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 23, 2021, 9:16am; Reply: 4

The foyer in the Lower is getting that busy now that it is becoming chaotic. It's murder trying to get a beer at that little bar just behind the turnstiles now with everyone piling in.
The queue for the gents lacks structure and gets in the way of fans trying to get up and down the stairway.

Great to see all these extra fans but jeez do we need a new stadium.
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, October 23, 2021, 9:28am; Reply: 5
Quoted from promotion plaice

The foyer in the Lower is getting that busy now that it is becoming chaotic. It's murder trying to get a beer at that little bar just behind the turnstiles now with everyone piling in.
The queue for the gents lacks structure and gets in the way of fans trying to get up and down the stairway.

Great to see all these extra fans but jeez do we need a new stadium.

There's a sign on the wall about the gents queue, probably new, unless I've just not noticed it before.

Seems odd to be moaning about toilets, parking, and not the owners, the players, the food or the management!  

This thread is ideal for moaning about there being not enough to own about 😀😉

Posted by: LH, October 23, 2021, 9:39am; Reply: 6
Parking. I’m there on my own today due to Covid isolations so rather than frustrate myself I’m walking the 4miles there.
Posted by: golfer, October 23, 2021, 9:48am; Reply: 7
Quoted from LH
Parking. I’m there on my own today due to Covid isolations so rather than frustrate myself I’m walking the 4miles there.

It wont seem very far to walk home if we win but it'll seem like a marathon if we happen to lose.
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 23, 2021, 9:51am; Reply: 8
Quoted from LH

I agree, parking within easy walking distance can be a nightmare now. So much so that I've now been going about an hour earlier than normal to get a space where I usually park, and just sitting in the car listening to music or Radio Hullberside. Thankfully today I'm being dropped off and picked up by a friend so today will be fine.
Posted by: Belfast Town, October 23, 2021, 10:30am; Reply: 9
Booking flights around Town fixtures and the jeopardy of not knowing whether you’ll get a ticket or the gets  match moved because of the telly or police advice!
Posted by: devs, October 23, 2021, 11:32am; Reply: 10
Clubs sniffing around our best players
Money talks...
But with a manager like Hurst I am certain he would find other 'gems' if 2/3 of our best left the club

And it should be part of natural order of things anyway - smaller clubs bring on talent and sell for a nice profit

Still gut-wrenching when it happens
Posted by: moosey_club, October 23, 2021, 12:53pm; Reply: 11
After every ascent will come descent, old and wise enough to know to enjoy this on a game by game basis
Posted by: jamesgtfc, October 23, 2021, 5:23pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Belfast Town
Booking flights around Town fixtures and the jeopardy of not knowing whether you’ll get a ticket or the gets  match moved because of the telly or police advice!

For the ticket, reach out to the club and I'm sure they will make sure you get a ticket.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 23, 2021, 6:02pm; Reply: 13
The fact that you can’t go away without feeling guilty about missing a home game ⚽️🏖😎
Posted by: ginnywings, October 23, 2021, 7:58pm; Reply: 14
The expectation now we are top and the only way is down the table if we don't keep it up. It's far more stressful than expecting to lose and being indifferent to it all, which had been the case for far too long.

In a nutshell, I've started to care again.

Posted by: barralad, October 23, 2021, 8:50pm; Reply: 15
I got a lift home from the game. It took until 5.40 to get as far as Fiveways.
Who cares?
Posted by: LH, October 23, 2021, 9:47pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from barralad
I got a lift home from the game. It took until 5.40 to get as far as Fiveways.
Who cares?

Not me! Decent walk in and met the mrs and the dog at Weelsby Woods on the way home. Saw loads of bits of Town that I miss normally driving. Great day with the result to go with it. I did think on the way there that it’d be good if we could do a green home game and try and get as many people as possible walking, cycling and using public transport in for one game in the spring when the weather picks up again.
Posted by: fishyfanny, October 23, 2021, 9:54pm; Reply: 17
Queued up for a Bovril in the lower for 15 mins to be told they'd run out of hot water!!!

Fentys out🤣
Posted by: aldi_01, October 23, 2021, 9:54pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from LH

Not me! Decent walk in and met the mrs and the dog at Weelsby Woods on the way home. Saw loads of bits of Town that I miss normally driving. Great day with the result to go with it. I did think on the way there that it’d be good if we could do a green home game and try and get as many people as possible walking, cycling and using public transport in for one game in the spring when the weather picks up again.

Look, we’re doing well, it’s good to be a town fan at the minute but can you intercourse off with your 21sr century ideas and positive vibes about the club and area…

You’ve got to be miserable…
Posted by: LH, October 23, 2021, 10:00pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from aldi_01

Look, we’re doing well, it’s good to be a town fan at the minute but can you intercourse off with your 21sr century ideas and positive vibes about the club and area…

You’ve got to be miserable…

You’re right. I’m going to go outside now and chuck another tyre on the fire and have a long think about what I’ve just proposed.
Posted by: ska face, October 24, 2021, 11:28am; Reply: 20
I think it’s hard to get a decent atmosphere going when there’s an expectation of winning. We had that in 15/16, and went through a stretch of games where we scored early and it was completely flat afterwards. We always seem to need some adversity or injustice just to get us going, like against Barnet or after the non-red V Dover. I fancy us more against the big clubs where’s there’s a bit of needle & tension.

For me as an exile, I hate it when I can’t get to a match and have to physically stop myself from listening to the radio or refreshing the Twitter feed as that just seems to make it worse. I’ll be anxious all day and will end up driving or doing something to take my mind off the match. Like someone said above, it was fine when you can detach yourself from it and not really care, but every match is torture this season when I’m not there.
Posted by: Humbercod, October 24, 2021, 6:30pm; Reply: 21
Not a genuine downside but found myself having to join a rather long queue because of the increased crowd at the local chippy! I can’t recall the name (just not the Marriner one) anyway it was a good 10 mins before I got served but regardless of the queuing time I felt pleased for the business, it was a super friendly service once served and they had a match day special fish chips and peas for £4:95 and it was very nice  to be honest, they even had a little bench outside to sit and eat on. The woman even sold me her 2 double deckers that I’d clocked in the fridge not knowing they were her lunch🙈

One thing to note was the people that I spoke to who commented on the food prices at the ground “£6 for a pie!” Was heard more than once! And again being honest this was the reason I decided to go to this chippy instead.
Posted by: 137 (Guest), October 25, 2021, 4:35am; Reply: 22
Picking 'Player of the Season' is going to give me some headaches the way things are going.
Posted by: ivanosandwich, October 25, 2021, 8:53am; Reply: 23
Quoted from LH

It would be great to cycle in, no problem in having a few pints, bit of exercise and no car parking issues. The only thing stopping me is where to leave the bike. If there was a secure area to leave bikes, I think a lot would take up this mode of transport. I appreciate it's not a revenue stream, the fanzone etc is more important but it would be great to be able to lock up your bike somewhere and it still be there at the end of the game.
Posted by: aldi_01, October 25, 2021, 9:48am; Reply: 24
Quoted from ivanosandwich

It would be great to cycle in, no problem in having a few pints, bit of exercise and no car parking issues. The only thing stopping me is where to leave the bike. If there was a secure area to leave bikes, I think a lot would take up this mode of transport. I appreciate it's not a revenue stream, the fanzone etc is more important but it would be great to be able to lock up your bike somewhere and it still be there at the end of the game.

If you have several ales and ride a bike, if you have a licence can they not take it off you should you appear ‘over the limit’? Genuine question…

I think it would be great if they encouraged folk to cycle etc…I love the Italian method when every man and his dog turns up on a scooter…

I don’t mind a walk but it’s a fair old trek from Laceby…
Posted by: mariner83, October 25, 2021, 10:06am; Reply: 25
Quoted from Humbercod

One thing to note was the people that I spoke to who commented on the food prices at the ground “£6 for a pie!” Was heard more than once! And again being honest this was the reason I decided to go to this chippy instead.

The pies are actually pretty decent value, and far better than what was being served up in previous seasons.   If you compare our food prices to other places with "captive audiences" I don't think they're particularly steep.  

Quoted from ivanosandwich

I'm sure there is a bike rack at BP, possibly near the fan zone.  *edit* ah seems it was removed to make way for the fanzone :(
Posted by: gtfckyle, October 25, 2021, 10:24am; Reply: 26
People moaning about the attendance vs tickets issued.

Long may it continue!!
Posted by: Humbercod, October 25, 2021, 11:36am; Reply: 27
Quoted from mariner83

The pies are actually pretty decent value, and far better than what was being served up in previous seasons.   If you compare our food prices to other places with "captive audiences" I don't think they're particularly steep.  
(

Guy I spoke to said he went to Altringham away one of the best pies in football £3!

I don’t have a problem if people want to spend £6 on an overpriced pie but at least offer the cheaper alternative, don’t mind paying £3 for a Pucka. I go in the pontoon and the only option is this Gourmet stuff, don’t get me wrong I’ve tried it all and it’s decent grub, but for me and many others it seems the novelty is wearing off hence why the chippys are rammed.

Posted by: MarinerWY, October 25, 2021, 12:03pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from aldi_01

If you have several ales and ride a bike, if you have a licence can they not take it off you should you appear ‘over the limit’? Genuine question…

No, it's not a motor vehicle. The offence for riding a bike when pished up is completely different and isn't about legal alcohol limits, it's about how in control you are (or not as the case may be)

For example, you could have four pints and bike home pretty steadily and you would be fine, but if you necked 10 pints and were riding all over the road, police can stop you and fine you:

"“It is illegal to ride your bike under the influence of drink or drugs, and you would be guilty of this if you were unfit to ride to such an extent as you are incapable of having proper control of the bicycle.

The potential cause of harm of you riding a bike after 4 pints is to yourself, as opposed to a 2 tonne metal box able to travel at 60mph, so imo its incomparable in terms of ethics - and is legally very different too.
Posted by: Ipswin, October 25, 2021, 12:17pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from mariner83

I'm sure there is a bike rack at BP, possibly near the fan zone.  *edit* ah seems it was removed to make way for the fanzone :(

I remember the many 100s in the late 1950s and through the 1960s who arrived by bike and left them in the back gardens of the houses on Imperial and Constitutional Ave for 3d. There was literally a wall of men on bikes all arriving at once when they knocked off work at lunchtime, most used the Barratt stand if I recall. Goodness knows how they all got their bikes out of the narrow passages between the houses at full time.

Posted by: GYinScuntland, October 25, 2021, 12:36pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from aldi_01

I think it would be great if they encouraged folk to cycle etc…I love the Italian method when every man and his dog turns up on a scooter…

I don’t mind a walk but it’s a fair old trek from Laceby…

I believe there is legislation where they can take your licence for any offence at all.
It is there for use against criminals, drug dealers etc.
So although it's highly unlikely you would lose your licence for cycling after a few the possibility is there.
Posted by: LH, October 25, 2021, 12:42pm; Reply: 31
As if the coppers at our matches have got enough time to deal with drunk up cyclists.
Posted by: aldi_01, October 25, 2021, 12:51pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from LH
As if the coppers at our matches have got enough time to deal with drunk up cyclists.

You’ve met Humberside police surely?
Posted by: nealeardleyscrossing, October 25, 2021, 2:12pm; Reply: 33
I can certainly see some similarities with what is happening to Grimsby at the moment to when we were starting to gather momentum under the Cowleys. Discussions about getting tickets, limiting away fans and worrying about teams from up the ladder pinching players - this happened to us - recruitment becomes key then about who you replace them with.

I know we have looked at a forward in your team as we have a few issues up front - My son plays for the Academy and one of the coaches told me we were looking at Mcatee and have a lad coming in from Swansea also. - Is he any good if we do get him, can he do a job in League 1 or too big a step?
Posted by: gtfckyle, October 25, 2021, 2:29pm; Reply: 34
I can certainly see some similarities with what is happening to Grimsby at the moment to when we were starting to gather momentum under the Cowleys. Discussions about getting tickets, limiting away fans and worrying about teams from up the ladder pinching players - this happened to us - recruitment becomes key then about who you replace them with.

I know we have looked at a forward in your team as we have a few issues up front - My son plays for the Academy and one of the coaches told me we were looking at Mcatee and have a lad coming in from Swansea also. - Is he any good if we do get him, can he do a job in League 1 or too big a step?

Massive step up, I'd leave him here. Waste of your money!  ;)

In all seriousness, I think it's likely a huge step up and would be a gamble considering his record.
Posted by: nealeardleyscrossing, October 25, 2021, 2:32pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from gtfckyle

Massive step up, I'd leave him here. Waste of your money!  ;)

In all seriousness, I think it's likely a huge step up and would be a gamble considering his record.

Thanks - My son actually plays with a Scunny fan at the Academy and his Dad told me he was rubbish but I would take that with a pinch of salt.

Posted by: ginnywings, October 25, 2021, 3:08pm; Reply: 36

Thanks - My son actually plays with a Scunny fan at the Academy and his Dad told me he was rubbish but I would take that with a pinch of salt.

Then his Dad is an idiot.  He'll run until he drops, makes goals and scores goals.

He's not an out and out striker; more of a No10 and I am not surprised teams are looking at him.

Posted by: Ipswin, October 25, 2021, 3:17pm; Reply: 37

He's doing so well at the moment I just can't see him agreeing to taking a step down to your level, fifteen years time when he's had enough of the Premier league and he's looking for a last short payday contract somewhere maybe

Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, October 25, 2021, 6:06pm; Reply: 38
Price is £3m.  cheque for £1.5m and A one way ticket to Timbuctoo payable to Mr J S Fenty, Fenty Towers, Grimsby.
Print page generated: April 18, 2024, 11:38pm