Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 1mickylyons, October 21, 2021, 4:27pm
Says he has left the club on sky sports news and we’re under League Two 😁
Posted by: Son of Cod, October 21, 2021, 4:37pm; Reply: 1
On the OS, mutual consent. Potentially got another club, I guess?
Posted by: Kris2, October 21, 2021, 5:52pm; Reply: 2
Probably saw the writing on the wall with how the season is going and the many players ahead of him and decided to move on.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 21, 2021, 5:54pm; Reply: 3
Good look to him. Maybe he’ll get some game time in the NLN.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, October 21, 2021, 6:40pm; Reply: 4
As with all the other players who have left by mutual consent, they have all been announced a day or two later that they have joined another team, who have basically taken over paying him wages. No player with at least 2 brain cells would cancel a guarantee of money to not have an income.
Posted by: gtfc98, October 21, 2021, 8:06pm; Reply: 5
Good luck to him. Completely thrown under the bus last season by Hollowords. I thought he looked ok in patches and still very young. Hope he finds a decent club and makes a career for himself.
Posted by: Marinerdan, October 21, 2021, 8:38pm; Reply: 6
Looked to be a decent prospect but wasn’t ready for League 2 when Holloway chucked him in. Wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him joining a club higher up the pyramid and playing in their under 23’s.
Posted by: toontown, October 21, 2021, 8:43pm; Reply: 7
Yeah good luck to him, I thought he looked largely OK under the circumstances when he did play last season.
Posted by: Abdul19, October 21, 2021, 8:51pm; Reply: 8
Honestly didn't know he was still with us. Good luck to the lad anyway.
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, October 21, 2021, 9:14pm; Reply: 9
Initially I think he was made available on a free - with a sell on clause due to his potential.
Maybe with his contractual release there is no sell on clause & his new club will be known shortly.
Posted by: TAGG, October 22, 2021, 7:00am; Reply: 10
Whoooo????
Posted by: aldi_01, October 22, 2021, 8:06am; Reply: 11
Literally forgot who this dude was…
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, October 22, 2021, 8:40am; Reply: 12
Considering he is a young lad who got thrown into a crap team last season I thought he did ok and showed glimpses of his potential. Was a little surprised Hurst kind of wrote him off so quickly and made him available to go in the summer.

He may have perhaps have offered some cover at Centre Back. But we have 4 strong players for that position now as well as another young lad (Goundry) and Crookes can also play there.

I wish him well and hope he can get his career back on track. Can see him going a step down or two. He needs regular game time now.

Posted by: lukeo, October 22, 2021, 8:45am; Reply: 13
PH is around the players every day. I fully support his judgement.
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, October 22, 2021, 10:16am; Reply: 14
Quoted from lukeo
PH is around the players every day. I fully support his judgement.

I agree mate. Hurst had made up his mind and it was clear the player wasnt going to get a chance. I was surprised but you have to go by the managers judgement.

And in both of his spells here Hurst's recruitment was been a lot more hit than miss. This summer I cant think of any signing that hasnt impressed and he kept Waterfall on when a lot of us here thought after last season he was done. So yes I will bow to his judgement.
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 22, 2021, 10:18am; Reply: 15
As with Starbuck, it's disappointing to see the young lads not make it and then go elsewhere which (like Marinerdan) I've a sneaky feeling will be higher up than the fifth tier.

I thought he showed a lot of potential actually, raw but considering he was as first year professional that's to be expected,  For the early parts of the season he looked our best defender.  Didn't take a lot, I know!

Shame as I felt he had the ingredients to be a good defender, reminded me quite a bit of first spell Simon Ford.  Athletic but somehow languid at the same time.  Hurst (and Doig) knows his defenders well though so got to trust what he's seeing/seen.  Can't imagine he would have been a huge wage and whilst we're well stocked for centre-backs at the minute, it does make me wonder what went on last year for these young lads to just fall off a cliff like they have.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, October 22, 2021, 10:43am; Reply: 16
If he was going into the U23 system then I doubt we would have ended his contract, he would have just moved on for a sell-on like Starbuck.

I think he will rock up somewhere in non-league over the next few days.
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, October 22, 2021, 11:22am; Reply: 17
Sadly a lad typical of the vast majority of academy players.

His hopes were raised though when the numpty Holloway started to use him, when he was no way good enough for the pro game
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, October 22, 2021, 11:32am; Reply: 18
Quoted from diehardmariner
Shame as I felt he had the ingredients to be a good defender, reminded me quite a bit of first spell Simon Ford.  Athletic but somehow languid at the same time.  Hurst (and Doig) knows his defenders well though so got to trust what he's seeing/seen.  Can't imagine he would have been a huge wage and whilst we're well stocked for centre-backs at the minute, it does make me wonder what went on last year for these young lads to just fall off a cliff like they have.

Guesswork here, but maybe some of the young players were signed up to overly-generous deals, given that PH is clearly not a fan of the length of contracts given to some (MG, Ira, Morais, Rose), perhaps he wasn't a fan of the amounts either? Pretty much the entire intake that season; Curran Painter Idehen Starbuck have moved on, and only Starbuck higher. Was gonna say Khouri is the exception but think he's younger than them. Battersby might be the exception ;-)

Looks like PH and Doig decided that Goundry was a better choice for many reasons (including financially) than Idehen?
Posted by: Kris2, October 22, 2021, 11:34am; Reply: 19
Quoted from diehardmariner

I thought he showed a lot of potential actually, raw but considering he was as first year professional that's to be expected,  For the early parts of the season he looked our best defender.  Didn't take a lot, I know!

I think he'll be like most former players where he's remembered as much better than he actually was. If you look at his games objectively you'd probably find he didn't particularly stand out at all, on his debut he gave away the goal with sloppy defending. This is the thing nobody remembers and makes it up in their own heads, he started against Walsall in and gifted them a goal plus got booked. Followed up by playing in a battering against Salford, the last league game he played in was another battering against Exeter where he was dragged off after 45 minutes and this was under Holloway who bought in people from 4 leagues below and people who had not played a game in 2 years. Apart from appearing in what was called our pre season and looking okay I don't recall him doing anything that would make me question Hurst's verdict when he came in. He clearly knew he could bring in better even if we went down and he has.

I would be incredibly surprised if some big club comes in for him as a development player, think it's more likely he'll either join a team in our league, or more likely lower down in non league football to try to start over. This isn't a personal attack on him or to be disrespectful, I've never met the kid but it's a realistic look at what he showed in first team football for us in his handful of first team appearances.
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 22, 2021, 11:53am; Reply: 20
I dunno, it feels a bit harsh to hang a lad out with blame when he was in a shower of a side to start with.

Young players always make mistakes.  Ideally you have experienced and inform players around them to a) cover them and b) help make sure they don't happen again.  From memory Idehen had the badly out of form Pollock and Waterfall on one side of them and then the ridiculously exposed Preston the other side of him.

I don't question Hurst's judgement or decision.  As much as I thought Idehen showed promise, it wasn't to the standard that any of the current four centre backs are operating at.  My musings were more that with a proper first year of development he might have gone onto to be asset.
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, October 22, 2021, 12:41pm; Reply: 21
One of the big problems Town have with young players once they leave the academy set up is lack of game time.. with very few reserves games they either have to get a good loan deal or play 1st team games..

Can see why Starbuck could prosper in Sheffield utd u23 set up with game time and no real pressure if make mistakes etc.. looked like he had something about him but needed to develop.
Posted by: Maringer, October 22, 2021, 1:17pm; Reply: 22
Also worth considering that some players aren't quite up to the job when younger, but develop into much better players as they enter their early 20s. We're all used to seeing a young tyro thrown in at 17 these days but the ones who do succeed are few and far between. It's why you get young loanees from higher division clubs who don't look anything at all when thrown into men's football but can then develop a good career. Perfect example of this was Simon Francis who didn't look anything special when he played for us on loan in the 4th tier aged 20. He ended up playing in the Premier League pretty regularly for several seasons!
Posted by: Meza, October 22, 2021, 5:11pm; Reply: 23
Wow not bad for a 4 year old i could barely keep it under control at that age haha.

[tweet]1451528733526007827[/tweet]
Posted by: moosey_club, October 22, 2021, 5:25pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Meza
Wow not bad for a 4 year old i could barely keep it under control at that age haha.

[tweet]1451528733526007827[/tweet]

Not a great example to use, he has been released already after several instances of breaking club disciplinary rules by being in Toys R Us after 8p.m and attempting to breast feed with one of the Arsenal ladies first team
Posted by: friskneymariner, October 22, 2021, 6:21pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from moosey_club

Not a great example to use, he has been released already after several instances of breaking club disciplinary rules by being in Toys R Us after 8p.m and attempting to breast feed with one of the Arsenal ladies first team

Keep up Toys R Us went mammaries up ages ago.
Posted by: scrumble, October 22, 2021, 7:51pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from aldi_01
Literally forgot who this dude was…

I thought he was Paul Atriedes best mate in Dune
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 7:36am