Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: crusty ole pie, October 19, 2021, 5:05pm
2nd v 3rd I suppose a draw is the best result for us but win for boreham  could open a gap between us and Chesterfield but keeps boreham on our tails and  a win for Chesterfield gives us a chance of going 4 clear
What everyone thinking ?
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, October 19, 2021, 5:08pm; Reply: 1
Think I would edge towards a Boreham Wood win or a draw..
Posted by: codcheeky, October 19, 2021, 5:12pm; Reply: 2
A draw is always the best result for us then both lose out on 2 points
Posted by: ska face, October 19, 2021, 5:13pm; Reply: 3
A draw, 3 reds and 5 broken legs apiece please Lord.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, October 19, 2021, 5:15pm; Reply: 4
Draw.

We stay top.

And we open up a bit of a gap.

If we win, of course.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, October 19, 2021, 5:15pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from ska face

Ah, the beautiful game......
Posted by: Poojah, October 19, 2021, 5:16pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from ska face

Just to be safe, could we please ensure that two of those legs belong to Kabongo Tshimanga?*

*Disclaimer: I recognise this is in poor taste - it is only a joke. I do not actually wish injury on any player.
Posted by: DB, October 19, 2021, 5:24pm; Reply: 7
I'd prefer a draw, or at least Chesterfield win. Boreham Wood win is a no no.
Posted by: pizzzza, October 19, 2021, 5:26pm; Reply: 8
While we're at it can we also have another annailation for Scunny away at Barrow
Posted by: cmackenzie4, October 19, 2021, 5:35pm; Reply: 9
A draw and a Town win
Posted by: crusty ole pie, October 19, 2021, 5:50pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from pizzzza
While we're at it can we also have another annailation for Scunny away at Barrow

If so surely that would be coxes SWANsong
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, October 19, 2021, 6:04pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from ska face

Have you been watching reruns of 'The Big Match'?
Posted by: lukeo, October 19, 2021, 6:04pm; Reply: 12
Aldershot and Solihull to win, Chesterfield and Boreham Wood to draw would make the table look absolutely amazing.
Posted by: toontown, October 19, 2021, 6:31pm; Reply: 13
Deffo a draw would be the best result at the mo
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 19, 2021, 6:42pm; Reply: 14
I am not bothered what other teams do as long as we continue as we have started they can not catch us  8)
Posted by: GollyGTFC, October 20, 2021, 10:08am; Reply: 15
Quoted from crusty ole pie
2nd v 3rd I suppose a draw is the best result for us but win for boreham  could open a gap between us and Chesterfield but keeps boreham on our tails and  a win for Chesterfield gives us a chance of going 4 clear
What everyone thinking ?

*4th v 2nd

Halifax Town are 3rd.

I think a Boreham Wood victory would best despite them being 2nd. Chesterfield are the real threat. They are the only one (apart from us) of the so called big clubs in this division who are doing well. Although a 0-0 draw at Dover & throwing away a 2-0 lead at home to Torquay aren't great results.

Also, does anyone who why the town is called "Borehamwood" but the club is "Boreham Wood"?
Posted by: Poojah, October 20, 2021, 10:31am; Reply: 16
Quoted from GollyGTFC

*4th v 2nd

Halifax Town are 3rd.

I think a Boreham Wood victory would best despite them being 2nd. Chesterfield are the real threat. They are the only one (apart from us) of the so called big clubs in this division who are doing well. Although a 0-0 draw at Dover & throwing away a 2-0 lead at home to Torquay aren't great results.

Also, does anyone who why the town is called "Borehamwood" but the club is "Boreham Wood"?

Three of the last four sides promoted out of this division have been Barrow, Harrogate and Sutton United (albeit two of those did so with plastic pitches). I’m not sure it’s right or fair to exclude Boreham Wood from the list of contenders on the basis they are not one of bigger ex-league clubs.

As for their name, I’ve wondered that myself. From a quick Google, it seems the town has a somewhat confused history as to what its name actually is:

https://www.borehamwoodtimes.co.uk/news/582633.community-history-how-boreham-wood-became-borehamwood/
Posted by: pontoonlew, October 20, 2021, 10:33am; Reply: 17
Looking at the fixtures on Saturday we have a huge chance to set up a bit of a gap at the top, vital we capitalise on that this weekend
Posted by: Poojah, October 20, 2021, 10:57am; Reply: 18
Quoted from pontoonlew
Looking at the fixtures on Saturday we have a huge chance to set up a bit of a gap at the top, vital we capitalise on that this weekend

We absolutely do. Copied the below from something I posted previously in another thread, but there is a very distinct line in the sand bang in the middle of our next 10 games.

Speaking of which, the next 10 in the league look really interesting - two very distinctive groups of 5 games.

The first 5, on paper and on current form, look quite favourable. Certainly as it stands I’d expect us to go into each of these as comfortable favourites, with only County in the top half and currently not in great form.

Yeovil (h) - 15th
Wealdstone (a) - 16th
Notts County (h) - 9th
Aldershot (a) - 22nd
Southend (h) - 20th

Average position - 16.4. If we’re serious, we want to be taking a minimum 11 points from that run of games. And we need to, considering what the following 5 look like.

Solihull (a) - 7th
Boreham Wood (h) - 2nd
Dagenham (a) - 6th
Chesterfield (h) - 4th
Halifax (a) - 3rd

Average position - 4.4. That’s as difficult a run of games as we’re likely to face all season. Given that, I think the preceding 5 are going to be really important in giving us some room to breathe and to take the pressure off a bit.

That takes us all the way up to Boxing Day, by which our prospects this season should look a whole lot clearer. Interesting, and exciting, few weeks ahead.
Posted by: Zmariner, October 20, 2021, 11:02am; Reply: 19
Anything other than a Chesterfield win. My gut feeling is that Chesterfield are a real danger the season as they have such firepower. They went away at Southend, the ease of their cup win shows the score goals for fun
I think I was in Chesterfield will be one and two but I’m not sure about the order. Notts County and Wrexham will inevitably come good but they have done some damage already utm
Posted by: RonMariner, October 20, 2021, 12:21pm; Reply: 20
Boreham win for me. I see Chesterfield as the stronger long term threat. Let's build up a points cushion over them.

You will get clubs popping up at the top end from time to time this early in the season. A few weeks ago Dagenham looked like the team to beat, but they have faded.

At this point clubs have only played half the teams in the division  so it's not a genuine like for like comparison of potential depending on how the fixtures have fallen. I think the table will be more informative as to real contenders after 23 games.  
Posted by: MarinerDevil, October 20, 2021, 2:43pm; Reply: 21
While I agree that Chesterfield look like the strongest challengers, I'm not too worried about what other teams do just yet.  We don't know who will ultimately be in the hunt come March/April; there are plenty of teams who will certainly hit form at some point which will propel them into contention.  Wrexham, Notts County, maybe even Stockport are realistic candidates for that.

We shouldn't write Boreham Wood off either.  I believe they've got some good backing and probably still have funds from the Tshimanga sale, while their manager is highly rated at this level.  They'll be a threat for sure.

Just as long as we keep going at 2 PPG or higher, I'm not too fussed about other results yet.
Posted by: Poojah, October 20, 2021, 2:48pm; Reply: 22
Town beat Yeovil
Chesterfield and Boreham Wood draw
Solihull beat Halifax

That’s a sequence of results I’d be very happy with. Would leave us 4 points clear of 2nd, 5 points clear of 3rd and 6 points clear of 3rd - with a superior goal difference over all of them.

Some tough games in the pipeline, a bit of a cushion would be lovely.
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 20, 2021, 2:48pm; Reply: 23
If we were down here last season, I could just see this thread but substitute Sutton United for Boreham Wood!  ;)
Posted by: pontoonlew, October 20, 2021, 3:26pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Poojah
Town beat Yeovil
Chesterfield and Boreham Wood draw
Solihull beat Halifax

That’s a sequence of results I’d be very happy with. Would leave us 4 points clear of 2nd, 5 points clear of 3rd and 6 points clear of 3rd - with a superior goal difference over all of them.

Some tough games in the pipeline, a bit of a cushion would be lovely.

Whilst winning the league is the priority, stretching that gap between us and 4th place is the thing I’ve got my eye on as our bare minimum. If we don’t win the league, we need to be in that second round of play-off fixtures
Posted by: GollyGTFC, October 20, 2021, 4:11pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Poojah

Three of the last four sides promoted out of this division have been Barrow, Harrogate and Sutton United (albeit two of those did so with plastic pitches). I’m not sure it’s right or fair to exclude Boreham Wood from the list of contenders on the basis they are not one of bigger ex-league clubs.

As for their name, I’ve wondered that myself. From a quick Google, it seems the town has a somewhat confused history as to what its name actually is:

https://www.borehamwoodtimes.co.uk/news/582633.community-history-how-boreham-wood-became-borehamwood/

It depends whether you believe Barrow & Sutton won the division because they were great (which they were) or because the “bigger” clubs with the tools to succeed failed (which they did).

But I stand by what I said. I would rather find ourselves in a potential 2 horse race in spring 2022 with Boreham Wood than with Chesterfield who might spaff a load of money on new players before the transfer deadline in March.

If we finish behind a club like Boteham Wood it will be our own faults because we have the tools at our disposal to not let that happen. We can’t say the same about the clubs with big budgets.
Posted by: Mariner56, October 21, 2021, 8:16am; Reply: 26
Sounds like there’s a lot of bad feeling between the clubs!

http://www.thecfss.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=68494&st=0#
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, October 21, 2021, 11:11am; Reply: 27
Whilst on can you make it snow on Xmas day.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, October 22, 2021, 8:23am; Reply: 28
Quoted from Les Brechin
If we were down here last season, I could just see this thread but substitute Sutton United for Boreham Wood!  ;)

Yes. And as much as Sutton United won the National League last season by 4 points you can’t argue that Torquay threw the chance of the title away by drawing their final 4 league games and only winning 3 of their final 8 games. Titles are won & lost.
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 1:19am