Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Stockport Mariner, October 19, 2021, 8:10am
…nothing will!

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2021/oct/19/gourmet-haddock-and-lilac-skies-a-car-free-break-in-grimsby-and-cleethorpes
Posted by: Yossarian, October 19, 2021, 8:20am; Reply: 1
The line...'I’ve never visited before, even when I lived across the water in Hull, and find myself wandering open-mouthed....'   could be construed either way.

Intetesting article though.  Love going back in autumn.... the coast is best when wrapped up warm with the promise of a decent ale after a bracing walk
Posted by: golfer, October 19, 2021, 8:23am; Reply: 2
Think I'll go there on my holidays - any interesting sporting events this weekend ?
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, October 19, 2021, 8:48am; Reply: 3
Are we even a seaside resort? I’ve always thought of us as a riverside resort.

I’ve never thought our beach is appealing. Looks shockingly muddy when the tide goes out, and the only real nice sandy bits are let’s face it, just a slither.

Travel South towards Mablethorpe, and then yes you get to some amazing wide, golden sandy beaches. Quality beaches down there, and some fab nature conservation areas too that surround the beaches.
Posted by: DB, October 19, 2021, 9:01am; Reply: 4
Quoted from Fillipe Noche

I’ve never thought our beach is appealing. Looks shockingly muddy when the tide goes out, and the only real nice sandy bits are let’s face it, just a slither.

Travel South towards Mablethorpe, and then yes you get to some amazing wide, golden sandy beaches. Quality beaches down there, and some fab nature conservation areas too that surround the beaches.

I don't think your post will make you popular with the local tourist board, our hospitality business's nor local trades people. It's nice to have an article in the national press hyping up the area instead of knocking it to pieces. I did like the description of Papa's as the world's largest fish and chip shop.

Posted by: wuffing, October 19, 2021, 9:03am; Reply: 5
Wow, what a brilliantly-written article, well done Phoebe. It makes me want to go myself..... and I live here!  ;D
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 19, 2021, 9:32am; Reply: 6

As I have said many times to people, I can think of a lot worse places to live than Cleethorpes and I'm not originally from here.

We've had some fantastic holidays away over the years but it's always great to come back to Cleethorpes.  

Posted by: diehardmariner, October 19, 2021, 9:45am; Reply: 7
That's a brilliant article.  

Upon reading the headline I was expecting the rest of it to be a bit of a cliché filled kicking of our town.   Well written and definitely highlights some of what Cleethorpes and the surrounding areas have to offer.

Like everywhere, there's good and bad in this area.  I just happen to think our good is bloody brilliant!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 19, 2021, 9:46am; Reply: 8
The Guardian loves us. Every other year there’s similar article. After one a few years ago it half expected to see trainloads of “It’s Grim up North London” types pouring out of the station.
Posted by: BlackandWhiteBarmy2, October 19, 2021, 9:49am; Reply: 9

Mablethorpe is a shithole. The beach at Cleethorpes towards Humberston is wide and would rival Mablethorpe if you didn't have to wade through a mile of mud to get to the water be that river or sea. As for the actual resorts, there is no comparison. Cleethorpes is trying, quite successfully IMHO, to refine itself, less Blackpool more Brighton. Mablethorpe is like Blackpools runty little brother but with a nice beach.
Posted by: Poojah, October 19, 2021, 9:59am; Reply: 10
I lived the first 18 years of my life in Cleethorpes, and having never lived anywhere else at the time it was hard to view it objectively. It was just ‘Meggies’ to me.

Having lived away for the past 18 years, and having had chance to live and visit a lot more places in this country, you realise what an underrated place it really is - both as a resort and a place to live.

There are more famous seaside resorts in the north, like Scarborough and Blackpool. And yeah, the beach and sea might be a little nicer in Scarborough, and Blackpool has more attractions, but as a place to visit Cleethorpes wins hands down. It’s certainly a lot less ‘tacky’ than both of those places, both of which are very run down.

I’ve never felt prouder of the place than on Armed Forces weekend a couple of years ago. The sun shining, the place buzzing. Great to see.

I’ve often thought there’s an innate pessimism built into people from this part of the world (myself included), even when trying to be positive. “I can think of worse places”. Let’s not do that, it’s a great place in its own right.

If you’ve never lived away from Grimsby / Cleethorpes, you won’t fully appreciate it, but it’s a fantastic thing to have the sea on your doorstep (I’m not going to enter the debate as to whether it’s an estuary). And it is a beautiful seafront, whether you can find fault in it or not.

I always love coming back. It’s a place deserving of a much better reputation than it gets in my opinion.

It will always be home to me.
Posted by: Ipswin, October 19, 2021, 10:16am; Reply: 11
Quoted from wuffing
Wow, what a brilliantly-written article, well done Phoebe. It makes me want to go myself..... and I live here!  ;D

I didn't realise taking acid was still so popular

Posted by: ginnywings, October 19, 2021, 11:08am; Reply: 12
It's currently wet and windy, but I am about to set off for a stroll along the prom all the way to the yacht club. I never get bored of it.

Meggies is really rather nice and getting better each year. There are lots of new cafes and businesses opening and much renovation work going on. It's also getting more popular, which may be down to lockdown, but it's rare to go along the seafront at any time, in any weather and not see quite a lot of people around. In the summer months, it was positively heaving.
Posted by: Abdul19, October 19, 2021, 11:26am; Reply: 13
I really hope the bloke from Cloves B&B says 'don't have nightmares' as he hands guests their key.
Posted by: mimma, October 19, 2021, 11:30am; Reply: 14
Just to be pedantic,  there is no RIVER Humber, it is just an estuary.  The Humber was formed when two rivers, the Ouse and Trent met and flowed towards the sea to form the Humber Estuary. Since it hasn't got a source of it's own it cannot be called a river.
Posted by: Oly1987, October 19, 2021, 12:20pm; Reply: 15
Me the wife and the little one went down to the seafront yesterday and spent some time in the arcades before having a lovely meal out at Valentino's. In recent years we've come to appreciate Cleethorpes a lot more for what it offers instead of taking it for granted.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, October 19, 2021, 12:25pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from mimma
Just to be pedantic,  there is no RIVER Humber, it is just an estuary.  The Humber was formed when two rivers, the Ouse and Trent met and flowed towards the sea to form the Humber Estuary. Since it hasn't got a source of it's own it cannot be called a river.

Congratulations on the confluence of my two great loves, fluvial nomenclature and pedantry.  :)
Posted by: lukeo, October 19, 2021, 12:25pm; Reply: 17
I miss cleethorpes so much!!
I always take my son down and around every single time I come back home.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 19, 2021, 12:27pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Oly1987
Me the wife and the little one went down to the seafront yesterday and spent some time in the arcades before having a lovely meal out at Valentino's. In recent years we've come to appreciate Cleethorpes a lot more for what it offers instead of taking it for granted.

It was nice of Hursty to join you.  ;) ;)
Posted by: GYinScuntland, October 19, 2021, 1:00pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from mimma

Absolutely correct but let's keep it to ourselves as since it's tidal all the way to Gainsborough we don't want the mudrats changing their name to Hull on sea do we? 😉
Posted by: Humbercod, October 19, 2021, 1:22pm; Reply: 20
Have to say well written and she certainly got about makes you realise we are lucky to live here.
Posted by: scrumble, October 19, 2021, 1:22pm; Reply: 21

Well hull is listed as a seaside town, but that was so they could get away with dumping sewage in to the river....sorry, sea

Posted by: louth_in_the_south, October 19, 2021, 1:29pm; Reply: 22
Huttoft Bank is an amazing stretch of beach .
Posted by: buckstown, October 19, 2021, 1:43pm; Reply: 23
My grandsons who were both born and raised down south absolutely love Cleethorpes.
Posted by: It Bites, October 19, 2021, 2:00pm; Reply: 24

First things first ... Fenty 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Secondly , the coast line extends farther in land than you think . Keadby the other side of Scunny is technically on the coast .

Thirdly , Cleethorpes is on the Humber Estuary or Mouth of the Humber .
Posted by: golfer, October 19, 2021, 2:20pm; Reply: 25

Congratulations on the confluence of my two great loves, fluvial nomenclature and pedantry.  :)

Paddy Dictionary - "nomenclature "   ==  "females who do not like anything about the opposite gender "
Posted by: bedders78, October 19, 2021, 2:28pm; Reply: 26

I love it when you talk dirty to me
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, October 19, 2021, 2:31pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from bedders78

I love it when you talk dirty to me

Made me think of something my dad used to say about the sun in the sky reflecting on the sea

All bright and shiny

Until you venture in and then it becomes

All sh1te and briny  ;)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 19, 2021, 3:10pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from GYinScuntland

Absolutely correct but let's keep it to ourselves as since it's tidal all the way to Gainsborough we don't want the mudrats changing their name to Hull on sea do we? 😉

Technically it’d be ‘Kingston-upon-Sea’. Or if they shorten the name like they did with Kingston-upon-Hull it’d just be ‘Sea’ 😆
Posted by: Yossarian, October 19, 2021, 4:14pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from mimma

If you were a true pedant you would have said "....it hasn't got a source of ITS own....."

Its is the possessive of "it"

Posted by: forza ivano, October 19, 2021, 4:55pm; Reply: 30
pleasant surprise to read such a positive write up, instead of the usual stereotypical drivel

I notice the only negativity on the thread is from the Usual Suspects!
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, October 19, 2021, 4:57pm; Reply: 31
Hey, I don’t like Mablethorpe either in terms of the town  and facilities. But the beaches are amazing.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 19, 2021, 6:43pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Huttoft Bank is an amazing stretch of beach .

Sure is. We sometimes venture over that way with the pooch. The Seascape cafe and observatory at Chapel St Leonards is a great place to visit too, as is Anderby Creek where there is another nice eatery. Lot's of seaside sculptures and a look out tower have been placed along the coastal path. We have some great beaches along our coast.

The England coastal path is now open from Skegness to Mablethorpe and eventually will be extended to the Humber Bridge, passing through Meggies of course. The new cycleway from GY to Immingham will be part of it when all linked up.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 19, 2021, 7:29pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from ginnywings

Sure is. We sometimes venture over that way with the pooch. The Seascape cafe and observatory at Chapel St Leonards is a great place to visit too, as is Anderby Creek where there is another nice eatery. Lot's of seaside sculptures and a look out tower have been placed along the coastal path. We have some great beaches along our coast.

The England coastal path is now open from Skegness to Mablethorpe and eventually will be extended to the Humber Bridge, passing through Meggies of course. The new cycleway from GY to Immingham will be part of it when all linked up.

Interesting. Am up for a long weekend. Might have a trip down there.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 19, 2021, 7:57pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Interesting. Am up for a long weekend. Might have a trip down there.

It's worth a trip.

Bit of info on the area.

https://www.visitlincolnshire.com/things-to-do/north-sea-observatory/
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, October 19, 2021, 8:17pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Stockport Mariner

If comments had been allowed on that piece in the Guardian it would be guaranteed to include such pearls as "Its Grim in Grimsby"  "I went to Grimsby once, it was a dump" "Stinks of fish" etc etc.

This is a great shame, because as the article points out it is a lovely part of the world, and we are lucky in so many ways. I always defend the Grimsby area in online message boards, but the old stereotypes are very hard to shift. Sad to say even on this site people have argued we are the last place players and/or managers would choose which clearly is not the case, obviously assuming the club is being well run, which is now being addressed.

I do hope this article is the start of better press for Grimsby. It would help if when we are on TV it would stop showing the a**e end of Freeman Street which is the archetypal secondary run-down shopping area seen in so many towns throughout the country.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, October 19, 2021, 9:07pm; Reply: 36
The people who slate Gy/Clee are often clueless a lot of former players stayed in the Town and made lives here . It’s not perfect by any means but it’s got some real plus points . I do miss those Lincoln @ home comments it was comedy gold every season with the excuses not to venture to Blundell Park.
Posted by: Posh Harry, October 19, 2021, 9:39pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from ginnywings

Used to live on anderby road, about 400 yards from there. Was a wooden hut at the time 🤦‍♂️
Posted by: friskneymariner, October 19, 2021, 9:48pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from ginnywings

My neck of the woods.
Posted by: RichMariner, October 19, 2021, 10:23pm; Reply: 39
Born and grew up in Cleethorpes. Been living in West Yorkshire for the past 17 years.

Love coming back to see the folks, watch the football and enjoy the fish and chips (and the sea front). I took living on the coast for granted. Really miss it now, more than ever.

That was a great positive and uplifting piece. It makes you wonder how nicer the world would be if we were all as positive about other people and places as that article was about us.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 19, 2021, 10:35pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from ginnywings

Cheers Ginny. The missus would really like that.
Posted by: aldi_01, October 20, 2021, 5:37am; Reply: 41
Great article…always boggle my head when folk who have only ever lived around here slag the place off but then do nothing about changing it or moving away.

The amount of times suggestions and ideas are put forward for change and people just moan or make wild statements that have little substance.

I love it round here and the place has a lot to offer, I hate the fact I work in a school out of town but at any chance myself and the family head in to meggies and use local businesses and the likes…

From a football perspective there’s an element of truth in the difficulties to recruit given our location but with new owners, even if it is a challenge, we won’t be seeing them coming out and using that as an excuse for lack of ambition and justification for being shite unlike the previous regime…
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, October 20, 2021, 8:33am; Reply: 42
Quoted from Oly1987

I don't go anywhere without my little one.
Posted by: DB, October 20, 2021, 1:54pm; Reply: 43
For many years I had clients in Skeggy and Mablethorpe areas, I also had to work out of an office in Hessle where met colleagues from the Hull area. They ALL said one thing in common, 'Why can't our place be more like Cleethorpes. it's lovely there'.

Sometimes we don't realise what we have and take it for granted.
Posted by: rancido, October 20, 2021, 4:11pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from mimma

According to the latest OS Explorer Map #284 covering Grimsby, Cleethorpes & Immingham, the area of water opposite to. where Grimsby Docks lock gates are is clearly marked  RIVER HUMBER.
Print page generated: April 23, 2024, 9:11pm