Arnold Clay Disley Nolan

Amond Bogle

OR

McKeown

Efete Waterfall Towler Crookes

Hunt Fox

Sousa McAtee Bapaga

Taylor

Thinking about it I think we have far more depth this season (2 good options in all positions) and not even included Longe-King, Clifton, Revan to name but a few.
Posted by: Hagrid, October 17, 2021, 9:25pm; Reply: 1
Compare end of season when it matters
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 17, 2021, 9:52pm; Reply: 2
Tough question. Hard to choose between the two very different midfields, defences and the way goals are scored. But I reckon McKeown is the best goalie.
Posted by: DB, October 17, 2021, 9:54pm; Reply: 3
Hypothetical answer   -   Both, as they were in different eras. ;) ;)
Posted by: IrishMariner, October 17, 2021, 10:09pm; Reply: 4
I was chatting to Podge’s dad this afternoon

The distance between Newport and Grimsby meant that a loan move this year was never really on the cards
Posted by: Poojah, October 17, 2021, 10:33pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from IrishMariner
I was chatting to Podge’s dad this afternoon

The distance between Newport and Grimsby meant that a loan move this year was never really on the cards

Yeah, it's a fair old commute.
Posted by: toontown, October 17, 2021, 10:34pm; Reply: 6
Yeah at the moment I'd go second one for squad for sure but were only a quarter of the way through the season
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, October 18, 2021, 9:41am; Reply: 7
I am totally amazed at how good the current squad is, and we could almost play two different 11's and still be too good for most teams. Not sure how Hurst has done it as none of signings looked particularly stellar at the time.

This team is far better than the play off side and the only question is can they sustain it over the season.

I would say this is the most exciting team for donkeys years and with the new owners we are in a fantastic position to really progress and become the club we all knew we could be. Everyone at BP must be absolutely buzzing.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 18, 2021, 9:49am; Reply: 8
I’d expect this seasons team to change a bit as the season progresses especially if Hunt and Towler return to their clubs so too early to tell.

Early days but this seasons side doesn’t look like it has as much weight on its shoulders as the promotion side which might contribute to the confidence levels.
Posted by: pontoonlew, October 18, 2021, 9:52am; Reply: 9
Not sure why it needs to be compared, the comparison at the end of the season will be who got promoted.

The current lot are (at the moment at least) delivering better, more consistent performances.
Posted by: Mariner_501, October 18, 2021, 10:09am; Reply: 10
Won’t know for sure until the end of the season but I’m pretty confident this is the best team we have had in 15 years.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 18, 2021, 10:12am; Reply: 11
Is there any need to compare?

As others have said, two key components of this season’s side are loanees who might not be here much longer.
Posted by: Hagrid, October 18, 2021, 10:21am; Reply: 12
i wish we had Jon Nolan now though. he really was excellent for us in those 6 months
Posted by: Abdul19, October 18, 2021, 10:23am; Reply: 13
I think this team is much better - if we finish 21 points behind top spot this season I'll shove a hot dog etc etc.
Posted by: Poojah, October 18, 2021, 10:42am; Reply: 14
The reality is that it’s not as simple as looking at the component parts in terms of players - there’s a lot more to it than that.

On the one hand we have the same manager, yet at the same time also a very different one. For me, Hurst mark one teams were characterised by pragmatism but also predictability - rigid formations, typically 442, that were not systematically creative and reliant on individual flair to open teams up.

The system we are playing now is very different. Much more fluid and capable of hurting teams in different ways. You can’t thwart this Town side simply by sitting deep or marking individuals out of the game - we’ve just got too much for that.

So all that said, it’s difficult to compare. There are some great players in that 15/16 side, not least Amond with his 30+ goals that season. Whether he’d fit into today’s system is questionable though, and you can apply the same to others.

It’s also a little unfair to compare a team over a full season to one that’s so far only played 11 league games. However, the team six years ago did only scrape into the play-offs, and then only just managed to overcome Braintree in the play-offs over two legs.

It’s early days, but I think what we have right now as a complete package is the best of our non-league days. Time will tell though.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, October 18, 2021, 10:52am; Reply: 15
I’m just enjoying this season. Let’s hope it continues for a long time.
Posted by: RichMariner, October 18, 2021, 12:03pm; Reply: 16
I think I'll enjoy each of those teams independently and not worry too much about which is best.

Hopefully they have something in common by the season's end!
Posted by: Poojah, October 18, 2021, 12:13pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from RichMariner
I think I'll enjoy each of those teams independently and not worry too much about which is best.

Hopefully they have something in common by the season's end!

That they're all playing for Hartlepool?
Posted by: Ipswin, October 18, 2021, 12:22pm; Reply: 18
Difficult ever to compare but I don't think any of the promotion side were loanees. The current squad excellent as it is, has on loan players in a number of the outstanding spots so I'll go for the earlier team
Posted by: chaos33, October 18, 2021, 12:25pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Poojah
The reality is that it’s not as simple as looking at the component parts in terms of players - there’s a lot more to it than that.

On the one hand we have the same manager, yet at the same time also a very different one. For me, Hurst mark one teams were characterised by pragmatism but also predictability - rigid formations, typically 442, that were not systematically creative and reliant on individual flair to open teams up.

The system we are playing now is very different. Much more fluid and capable of hurting teams in different ways. You can’t thwart this Town side simply by sitting deep or marking individuals out of the game - we’ve just got too much for that.

So all that said, it’s difficult to compare. There are some great players in that 15/16 side, not least Amond with his 30+ goals that season. Whether he’d fit into today’s system is questionable though, and you can apply the same to others.

It’s also a little unfair to compare a team over a full season to one that’s so far only played 11 league games. However, the team six years ago did only scrape into the play-offs, and then only just managed to overcome Braintree in the play-offs over two legs.

It’s early days, but I think what we have right now as a complete package is the best of our non-league days. Time will tell though.

Agree fully. Good post.
Posted by: Hagrid, October 18, 2021, 12:39pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Ipswin
Difficult ever to compare but I don't think any of the promotion side were loanees. The current squad excellent as it is, has on loan players in a number of the outstanding spots so I'll go for the earlier team

Pat Hoban ;)
Posted by: Caveman, October 18, 2021, 12:41pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Hagrid
i wish we had Jon Nolan now though. he really was excellent for us in those 6 months

Yes, he was good but who would you leave out for him ?
Posted by: pizzzza, October 18, 2021, 4:07pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Hagrid

Pat Hoban ;)

Yeah there were a few loans that season. Henderson for example.
Posted by: HerveJosse, October 18, 2021, 4:15pm; Reply: 23
No contest.Current team.
Posted by: toontown, October 18, 2021, 4:58pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from pizzzza

Yeah there were a few loans that season. Henderson for example.

Dean Henderson wasn't that year. His loan was the following season when we were in the EFL.
Posted by: pizzzza, October 18, 2021, 5:05pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from toontown

Dean Henderson wasn't that year. His loan was the following season when we were in the EFL.

I didn't say Dean  ;)
Print page generated: May 2, 2024, 1:57am