Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 14, 2021, 11:40am
Saw this story and thought it deserved a mention on here. Apologies if it already has been.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/grimsby-town-woking-fc-help-6043852
Posted by: RonMariner, October 14, 2021, 11:48am; Reply: 1
Well done indeed. A brilliant gesture.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 14, 2021, 12:24pm; Reply: 2
Brilliant! Well done Woking.
Posted by: goldenfish, October 14, 2021, 12:30pm; Reply: 3
Outstanding , fantastic story . Credit to all involved
Posted by: Kris2, October 14, 2021, 12:44pm; Reply: 4
A very nice gesture from their chairman to organise and get both clubs involved. She shows a great deal of understanding for disabilities that are often misunderstood and demonised.
Posted by: Perkins, October 14, 2021, 12:57pm; Reply: 5
Theres always one isnt there. Taken from the comments section from some idiot called Marmiteontoast in the GET regarding this story. Did they actually read the article?

"So it didnt have ANYTHING to do with Grimsby Town. They helped in no way at all. It was all down to the very generous lady at Woking. Please get the facts right Grimsby Live."
Posted by: RichMariner, October 14, 2021, 12:59pm; Reply: 6
I watched a programme a little while back that changed my attitude on disabilities.

It asked someone with a disability what term they used to describe an 'able-bodied' person and they said 'not disabled yet'.

They pointed out that all of us, at some point or other in life - whether we've broken a leg, been diagnosed with certain diseases and illnesses, or struggled with mental health - experience disability.

And, of course, as we get older and experience arthritis or just general mobility issues due to age, we become 'disabled'.

So why wouldn't we want to create a world in which all disabilities are catered for? It'll make our lives happier, and easier, if they're there, ready and waiting when something happens to us, and in the meantime you're bringing happiness and comfort to people who already live with disabilities.

So good to read of examples where people make an effort to help those with disabilities. Small gestures go such a long way.
Posted by: Mayaman, October 14, 2021, 1:36pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Perkins
Theres always one isnt there. Taken from the comments section from some idiot called Marmiteontoast in the GET regarding this story. Did they actually read the article?

"So it didnt have ANYTHING to do with Grimsby Town. They helped in no way at all. It was all down to the very generous lady at Woking. Please get the facts right Grimsby Live."

I replied to him / her I think you will find he sat with the Gy delegates. He was also presented with a Grimsby shirt. As Woking probably do not sell them and they are not readily available up and down the country, I conclude that G.T.F.C arranged that little gift. There's only one winner - football!
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 14, 2021, 2:13pm; Reply: 8
What a lovely gesture my great granddaughter has autism and at the age of twelve she sometimes has anger issues which gets her in trouble at school.

She loves going to watch town and shouting  FISH !!!!!!!

So we hope we can shout it a lot at the Yeovil game .

I would love it if I could take her more often as she loves spending what she calls quality time with me.  :)
Posted by: Ipswin, October 14, 2021, 2:42pm; Reply: 9
What an absolutely outstanding marvellous gesture by Woking made the day for this mini-Mariner. Thank you from all Town fans
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, October 15, 2021, 12:52am; Reply: 10
I hope GTFC repay the kind gesture in a similar way ten times, if not a hundred times over this season for both visiting fans and our own.

Well done that woman.
Posted by: DB, October 15, 2021, 5:07am; Reply: 11
Well done to Woking, fantastic gesture. Town winning must have made the lads' day.
Posted by: aldi_01, October 15, 2021, 6:06am; Reply: 12
Cracking gesture and something simple, kind and a tiny bit of effort can make a huge difference…

My experience at town and of town is that we’re usually good at this stuff.

We’re all aware how I, and many other feel about Fenty but even under his tenure the club were usually decent with stuff like this.
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 15, 2021, 11:00am; Reply: 13
A nice post of the Woking forum.

Quoted Text
what an absolute magnificent person you are, Rosemary - makes me wanna cry. You should be very proud of yourself; your club; and your management team, who are a reflection of you .
Not sure that where little Georgie was standing looked to safe though - I think it was the back of the McDonalds stand? - last time I was in there, I certainly tested ability to hold a bit of weight, and that was about 10years ago , it was like a world war 1 corrugated iron construction trench then, I don't think much has changed
Oh by the way, Grimsby FC are my new 2nd team - the fans were great, a friendly bunch, I even didn't mind them invading the pitch, the team were respectful and played the game how it should be played- i.e no diving around trying to get someone sent off etc Love 'em - go and win the league please
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 15, 2021, 12:29pm; Reply: 14
I'm Dad to two young men with very differing levels of autism and I'm delighted by this story. Thank you Woking and lets hope that we get to a stage where everyone gets equally treated as a fan no matter what their circumstances are.

Things have been made more difficult in the past but I'm not going to rake over old coals. It's a fantastic story and very heart-warming.
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 8:23pm