Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, October 12, 2021, 3:06pm
It is my sad duty to advise the wider Fishy family of the death of my dear friend Ron Rafferty fan club, who passed away at the weekend.

We worked together for many years at St. Andrews Hospice and St Andrews Children's Hospice where he volunteered, and our mutual love of GTFC brought us many happy memories! We tried to include GTFC in our fundraising activities wherever possible, and posters might remember the wear your GTFC shirt to work day, and the Santa run which included a couple of laps around Blundell Park, amongst others. We did lots of other stuff but we invariably chatted about GTFC whenever we could...

RRFC was a well-known teacher in the area before he retired and his wise words and sense of humour will be sorely missed.  
Posted by: Tinymariner, October 12, 2021, 3:08pm; Reply: 1
Another sad loss, RRFC Rest In Peace.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, October 12, 2021, 3:09pm; Reply: 2
V sad to hear that.  I always enjoyed his posts.
RIP fallen Mariner
Posted by: buckstown, October 12, 2021, 3:11pm; Reply: 3
RIP, sounds like a fine man
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, October 12, 2021, 3:14pm; Reply: 4
RIP ⚫️⚪️
Posted by: GrimRob, October 12, 2021, 3:18pm; Reply: 5
A great loss to the Fishy Community. RIP.
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 12, 2021, 3:37pm; Reply: 6
Didn't know him personally, but a well respected posted on here.

RIP x
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 12, 2021, 3:46pm; Reply: 7
Very sad.  

Enjoyed some good debates with him in the past.

RIP.
Posted by: GrimExile, October 12, 2021, 3:54pm; Reply: 8
Didn’t know him but it’s always sad to see these posts. RIP and let’s hope he’s chatting with the real Ron Rafferty right this minute.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 12, 2021, 3:54pm; Reply: 9
First post for a while such sad news to come back to.

We did not know each other but started supporting town about the same time 1955.

We had some good chats on here over the years and I will miss him RIP fellow mariner.
Posted by: chaos33, October 12, 2021, 4:02pm; Reply: 10
Ah this is really sad news about the passing of a fishy stalwart. Never met him but he always came across as a really articulate and informed poster, based on his long and detailed service to GTFC and studying of the game,  with a good sense of humour thrown in.

Maybe The Fishy could consider naming one of the competitions or quizzes, or the poster of the week award after him, or maybe even for his name and years following town commemorated on a brick in the stadium/fan zone.

RIP fellow Mariner.
Posted by: gary_elton, October 12, 2021, 4:04pm; Reply: 11
Sad news... RIP RRFC
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 12, 2021, 4:07pm; Reply: 12
I’m saddened and shocked by this. It’s really sad news.

Ron was always a knowledgeable, and good natured poster with more than his fair share of good humour. We didn’t always see eye-to-eye, but that didn’t matter in the grand scheme of things.

He’ll be missed on here.

Commiserations to his friends and family, and not forgetting you in this Lew.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 12, 2021, 4:20pm; Reply: 13
Very sad news, he will be missed!
Posted by: wuffing, October 12, 2021, 4:23pm; Reply: 14
RIP RRFC
Posted by: pizzzza, October 12, 2021, 4:23pm; Reply: 15
Sad news, RIP
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, October 12, 2021, 4:25pm; Reply: 16
I had noticed that RRFC had not posted in recent months.  It is rare to miss an individual poster.
He was always the voice of reason.  I always read and enjoyed his posts.

Judging by the RR name, he was of a certain age.  Ironic that he supported the club during the recent dire times, and ended with the best of times this season.  Sadly missed.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, October 12, 2021, 4:29pm; Reply: 17
Very sad news, one of my favourite posters on the fishy.

RIP RRFC x
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, October 12, 2021, 4:46pm; Reply: 18
Well that’s just bloody excrement. RIP Fellow Mariner.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 12, 2021, 4:52pm; Reply: 19
Sad news, condolences to all family and friends and Rest In Peace, Fallen Mariner.
Posted by: fishyfanny, October 12, 2021, 4:53pm; Reply: 20
I can only echo what other posters have said, very sad news indeed.

RIP
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, October 12, 2021, 5:00pm; Reply: 21
Really sorry to hear that. Thoughts with his friends and family. RIP RRFC.
Posted by: Abdul19, October 12, 2021, 5:02pm; Reply: 22
RIP RRFC
Posted by: DB, October 12, 2021, 5:45pm; Reply: 23
Very sad news. His knowledge gained over the years about Town is lost. I hope he looks down on every game with his namesake RR. May he rest in peace.

Amen
Posted by: moosey_club, October 12, 2021, 5:47pm; Reply: 24
R.I.P
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 12, 2021, 5:49pm; Reply: 25

RIP..... RRFC
Posted by: RonMariner, October 12, 2021, 5:51pm; Reply: 26
Sorry to hear this.  

Condolences to his family.

RIP
Posted by: codcheeky, October 12, 2021, 5:55pm; Reply: 27
Very sad news RIP
Posted by: Croxton, October 12, 2021, 5:56pm; Reply: 28
RIP Ron. Always enjoyed your posts. You will be sorely missed on the Fishy and in the wider community.
Posted by: lukeo, October 12, 2021, 6:00pm; Reply: 29
Rip fellow Mariner
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, October 12, 2021, 6:03pm; Reply: 30
RIP
Posted by: SouthLakesMariner, October 12, 2021, 6:10pm; Reply: 31
Sad news. Wouldn’t be surprised if our paths crossed when St Andrews Hospice became home for 6 difficult days supporting my Mum (who was a herself a huge Town fan) in her final days. All the volunteers there do a fantastic job and I’m sure RRFC will be greatly missed by many.
Posted by: bobbyturtle, October 12, 2021, 6:14pm; Reply: 32
rip
Posted by: Davec, October 12, 2021, 6:48pm; Reply: 33
Terrible news this is, another much respected poster gone, RIP RRFC
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 12, 2021, 6:49pm; Reply: 34
Awful news. Always enjoyed his posts.

Thoughts go out to friends and family

RIP
Posted by: TAGG, October 12, 2021, 7:17pm; Reply: 35
One of our own
RIP
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, October 12, 2021, 7:21pm; Reply: 36
Another mariner gone...😪..RIP and condolences to his family and friends....
Posted by: Perkins, October 12, 2021, 7:32pm; Reply: 37
Very sad news indeed, met him on a few occasions and  we would always talk about the teams we both grew up with in the 50s and 60s. Genuine bloke. Will be sadly missed. RIP
Posted by: denni266, October 12, 2021, 7:41pm; Reply: 38
RIP.  A sad loss of another mariner  
Posted by: gobby, October 12, 2021, 8:49pm; Reply: 39
RIP fellow Mariner :o
Posted by: ginnywings, October 12, 2021, 9:12pm; Reply: 40
Was my neighbour for a while and he was a very affable chap, easy to talk to and with a wry sense of humour.

As mentioned, he was one of the best posters on the fishy and having known him for a little while, he was just as interesting and knowledgeable in person, and not just on the subject of GTFC.

Just spent a bit of time re-reading some PM's we exchanged last year.

Sad news.

RIP.
Posted by: Tommy, October 12, 2021, 9:37pm; Reply: 41
RIP fellow Mariner.

TRRFC has been on the fishy for as long as I remember being on it myself. I remember having opposing views as him on many things but he always put his side of the debate across in a really informed and interesting way. Never met him personally but a good poster on here.
Posted by: toontown, October 12, 2021, 10:04pm; Reply: 42
Sorry to hear this and condolences to all his friends and family,will be missed on the fishy. RIP RRFC
Posted by: Meza, October 12, 2021, 10:07pm; Reply: 43
It is my sad duty to advise the wider Fishy family of the death of my dear friend Ron Rafferty fan club, who passed away at the weekend.

We worked together for many years at St. Andrews Hospice and St Andrews Children's Hospice where he volunteered, and our mutual love of GTFC brought us many happy memories! We tried to include GTFC in our fundraising activities wherever possible, and posters might remember the wear your GTFC shirt to work day, and the Santa run which included a couple of laps around Blundell Park, amongst others. We did lots of other stuff but we invariably chatted about GTFC whenever we could...

RRFC was a well-known teacher in the area before he retired and his wise words and sense of humour will be sorely missed.  

Condolences Lew on the passing of RRFC, another mariner gone but not forgotten.

RIP RRFC 🙏
Posted by: Grimal, October 12, 2021, 10:11pm; Reply: 44
RIP. RRFC.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, October 13, 2021, 12:08am; Reply: 45
Sorry to hear the news about RRFC, like others have mentioned, I can remember him posting as long as The Fishy has been around. RIP.
Posted by: mariner83, October 13, 2021, 7:43am; Reply: 46
My thoughts are with his friends and family.

RIP
Posted by: Rick12, October 13, 2021, 8:39am; Reply: 47
Really sad to hear of his passing. Struck me as someone who had a lot of warmth to him . One of the good guys.

God bless you Ron .
Posted by: barralad, October 13, 2021, 12:26pm; Reply: 48
This is very sad news. I often disagreed with him on here but his arguments and the general manner in his postings commanded respect. He will be very much missed.
No doubt he's "up there" kicking a ball about with his hero.
RIP mate.
Posted by: BeijingMariner, October 14, 2021, 3:35am; Reply: 49
My condolences to his family and friends, RIP indeed.
Posted by: sutton mariner, October 14, 2021, 11:52am; Reply: 50
Rest in peace, friend.
Posted by: aussiej, October 14, 2021, 12:21pm; Reply: 51
A sad loss...  Rest in peace...
Posted by: Bigdog, October 14, 2021, 12:48pm; Reply: 52

Always read his posts intently. Astute student of the game and great sense of humour with it..

RIP RRFC
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, October 14, 2021, 12:52pm; Reply: 53
Just logged on to see this sad news

RIP RRFC   :B
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, October 14, 2021, 1:52pm; Reply: 54
Can I just thank everyone for their kind words on the passing of RRFC.

He went to live in Fakenham, Norfolk in his later years so the only real contact was via the Fishy. Every Saturday/Tuesday night we would chew the fat over the teams win, loss or draw via the private messaging facility and what we would do to put it right! Post-match will never be the same but I know he will still be discussing tactics in his own inimitable way.

It is all quite emotional but I am so pleased he was able to see and appreciate our beloved club is now in safe hands (and he left us with us top of the league!) and these are the sorts of things the new owners mentioned on taking over - this club is a huge part of peoples' lives and will continue to be for generations to come.  

Posted by: Bigdog, October 14, 2021, 3:30pm; Reply: 55
Can I just thank everyone for their kind words on the passing of RRFC.

He went to live in Fakenham, Norfolk in his later years so the only real contact was via the Fishy. Every Saturday/Tuesday night we would chew the fat over the teams win, loss or draw via the private messaging facility and what we would do to put it right! Post-match will never be the same but I know he will still be discussing tactics in his own inimitable way.

It is all quite emotional but I am so pleased he was able to see and appreciate our beloved club is now in safe hands (and he left us with us top of the league!) and these are the sorts of things the new owners mentioned on taking over - this club is a huge part of peoples' lives and will continue to be for generations to come.  

Condolences for your own personal loss too LCL..
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, October 14, 2021, 3:38pm; Reply: 56
From the many messages on this thread it looked like Ron Rafferty Fan Club had quite a fan club of his own.

RIP
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, October 14, 2021, 6:52pm; Reply: 57
I didn't know RRFC - he was obviously well respected on here.
However I can empathise with his title - as kids when playing with coats & satchels as goal posts I was always Ron Rafferty. Out here not far from Liverpool & Manchester they didn't understand.
RIP both Ron's.  
Posted by: chaos33, October 14, 2021, 6:56pm; Reply: 58
Let’s make the weekly prediction the RRFC prediction award…
Posted by: Davec, October 14, 2021, 7:06pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from chaos33
Let’s make the weekly prediction the RRFC prediction award…

I echo this
Posted by: DB, October 14, 2021, 8:36pm; Reply: 60
I've just been reading through some of his posts and like this one on the subject of lasers :-

Idiots!   (reply)     Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub
Date Posted: July 8, 2021, 12:52pm
Stick the laser up their @rse and see if their eyes light up.

His posts will be sadly missed.
Posted by: GrimRob, November 12, 2021, 11:13am; Reply: 61
Mike Harrison's (RRFC) death was announced in the Telegraph yesterday. Any donations, should anyone wish to make them, to St Andrew's hospice, a  place where he used to work before moving to Norfolk.

https://www.standrewshospice.com/
Posted by: Rick12, November 12, 2021, 11:18am; Reply: 62
Quoted from DB
I've just been reading through some of his posts and like this one on the subject of lasers :-

Idiots!   (reply)     Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub
Date Posted: July 8, 2021, 12:52pm
Stick the laser up their @rse and see if their eyes light up.

His posts will be sadly missed.
Thanks for that DB. I genuinely liked the guy .

Iam sure Ron your in a better place now. God bless your soul brother.

Posted by: ancientmariner54, November 12, 2021, 12:21pm; Reply: 63
R.I.P.  R.R.F.C.    U.T.M.
Posted by: DB, November 12, 2021, 5:42pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from GrimRob
Mike Harrison's (RRFC) death was announced in the Telegraph yesterday. Any donations, should anyone wish to make them, to St Andrew's hospice, a  place where he used to work before moving to Norfolk.

https://www.standrewshospice.com/

Can we send a collective donation from friends at The Fishy?

Posted by: chaos33, November 12, 2021, 6:44pm; Reply: 65
Bumping this, but can we please name something after him on the fishy?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 12, 2021, 7:43pm; Reply: 66
I miss posters like Ron and also Jock Dock Tower proper decent blokes who just loved to talk football.
Posted by: bawarmy, November 12, 2021, 7:47pm; Reply: 67
So sad. Best wishes to the family. Let’s get a win for him tomorrow
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 2:25am