Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Madeleymariner, October 9, 2021, 6:15pm
!
Posted by: 137 (Guest), October 9, 2021, 6:20pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from Madeleymariner
!

Smart move by Southend
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 9, 2021, 8:25pm; Reply: 2
Sacked after losing 4 nil at home to Chesterfield.
Posted by: barrattstandman, October 9, 2021, 9:04pm; Reply: 3
Hope they don't get the New Manager bounce when we go there at the end of the month
Posted by: Meza, October 9, 2021, 9:45pm; Reply: 4
You never know they they might go after other rival clubs managers, it'll be very interesting as to how they appoint.  I have a gut feeling it will be Jolley lol.
Posted by: moosey_club, October 9, 2021, 9:50pm; Reply: 5
Neil Cox will probably be available by tomorrow lunch 🤣
Posted by: The Yard Dog, October 9, 2021, 9:51pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from barrattstandman
Hope they don't get the New Manager bounce when we go there at the end of the month

The game is at home in November
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 9, 2021, 10:44pm; Reply: 7
I don’t like yo see anyone lose their jobs, it goes against my political principles but on this occasion I’ll compromise such principles, “Brown” is a “tanned” (see what I did there?) bell end who sits in the same one trick pony category as Runaway.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, October 9, 2021, 10:49pm; Reply: 8
Yeah, that'll do it.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, October 9, 2021, 10:51pm; Reply: 9
I like Brown, seems a good bloke. He's 62 I believe, retire and enjoy your days while you've your legs. I think Southend have a Fenty, that's their problem. Clubs of their, and our size don't get relegated to this level for no reason. Until they get rid of their Fenty, they'll do nowt. And they also need to appreciate where they are, we have experience already thanks to Fenty. Cheers John.
Posted by: aldi_01, October 10, 2021, 6:46am; Reply: 10
Southend are on their bottom and did well to see out lat season, they’ve got a Swann/Fenty in charge so until that changes I can’t see much changing at the club…
Posted by: AdamHaddock, October 10, 2021, 9:21am; Reply: 11
Is Slade available?
Posted by: quebec38, October 10, 2021, 9:57am; Reply: 12
A man who lacks discipline living off 3 or 4 good seasons in the past 15 or so as a manager. Getting Hull up to the PL was some achievement but it quickly went to his head didn’t it.

Heavily linked with us wasn’t he before Hurst came back? Would have been a textbook Fenty appointment. Probably finished now as a manager unless another NL club is desperate enough to take him.
Posted by: Davec, October 10, 2021, 10:41am; Reply: 13
Quoted from quebec38
A man who lacks discipline living off 3 or 4 good seasons in the past 15 or so as a manager. Getting Hull up to the PL was some achievement but it quickly went to his head didn’t it.

Heavily linked with us wasn’t he before Hurst came back? Would have been a textbook Fenty appointment. Probably finished now as a manager unless another NL club is desperate enough to take him.

When Slade was sacked there was a rumour that we offered him the job on a voluntary basis, becoming paid if he kept us up, don't know how true it is but it sounds like a Fenty move
Posted by: Poojah, October 10, 2021, 10:43am; Reply: 14
Quoted from fishboyUTM
I like Brown, seems a good bloke.

Andy Todd disagrees with you.

Posted by: jamesgtfc, October 10, 2021, 10:49am; Reply: 15
Quoted from Davec

When Slade was sacked there was a rumour that we offered him the job on a voluntary basis, becoming paid if he kept us up, don't know how true it is but it sounds like a Fenty move

There was a strong rumour at the time that his Range Rover was seen outside Fenty Towers. There was also a rumour that Jolley did his first 10 games for free.
Posted by: Ipswin, October 10, 2021, 11:00am; Reply: 16
Many possible replacements listed on their forum including Holloway and one daft illegitimate has voted for him!
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 10, 2021, 6:36pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Ipswin
Many possible replacements listed on their forum including Holloway and one daft illegitimate has voted for him!

Mrs Holloway?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 10, 2021, 6:38pm; Reply: 18
I wouldn’t wish Holloway on Scunthorpe let alone Southend. The only club I’d like to see him at is Stevenage.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, October 10, 2021, 7:24pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Ipswin

Yeah, that was me :-)
Posted by: Kris2, October 10, 2021, 8:31pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from jamesgtfc

There was a strong rumour at the time that his Range Rover was seen outside Fenty Towers. There was also a rumour that Jolley did his first 10 games for free.

Probably not a rumour and probably why he got the job. The terms of his contract were undisclosed on a rolling contract basis so likely he was told if we didn't go down he'd be given a paid deal. Unlike Phil Brown he wasn't an established manager in the English game and was probably more willing to take an unfair deal like that to get his foot in the door. Heard that the meeting between Fenty and him didn't go particularly well as he had a lot of demands about his pay and how much money he needed for transfers, Fenty told him to get lost which in the grand scheme of things probably wasn't the worst thing ever. Fenty probably told him to work for free until the end of the season to prove himself then got laughed at.
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 13, 2021, 4:32pm; Reply: 21

According to reports Southend United have made a formal approach for Chesterfield manager James Rowe.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, October 13, 2021, 4:35pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from promotion plaice

According to reports Southend United have made a formal approach for Chesterfield manager James Rowe.

That will cost them a pretty penny !

Posted by: Poojah, October 13, 2021, 4:58pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from promotion plaice

And why on earth would he want to do that? Southend are a complete basket case.

It probably wouldn’t be a bad thing for us in that it would disrupt one of our most credible rivals, but I just can’t fathom why that’s a move he would want to make.
Posted by: toontown, October 13, 2021, 5:10pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Poojah

It probably wouldn’t be a bad thing for us in that it would disrupt one of our most credible rivals, but I just can’t fathom why that’s a move he would want to make.

Agreed - surely  not. All that work, with plenty of financial backing, to put together his own team , going fairly well - why would you go to basket case club with no money and work with their dregs in the relgation zone. Surely his credentials would be likely to be better served sticking with Chesterfield?

Unless Southend have suddenly got rich from an investor, I saw that Stan collymore was getting involved with them. Maybe he is offering to bank rollbig wages for Rowe or something to sweeten the offer.
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 13, 2021, 5:12pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Poojah

£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, October 13, 2021, 5:20pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from toontown

Agreed - surely  not. All that work, with plenty of financial backing, to put together his own team , going fairly well - why would you go to basket case club with no money and work with their dregs in the relgation zone. Surely his credentials would be likely to be better served sticking with Chesterfield?

Unless Southend have suddenly got rich from an investor, I saw that Stan collymore was getting involved with them. Maybe he is offering to bank rollbig wages for Rowe or something to sweeten the offer.

The reports I've seen suggest Collymore has offered his help for free and if he can show results they can then talk about something permanent. While it was a bit vague it implied Collymore was looking for a paid role long term, rather than investing in the club himself.
Posted by: Poojah, October 13, 2021, 5:26pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Les Brechin

If Southend have money then I can only assume they haven't been spending it very well.
Posted by: come_on_town, October 13, 2021, 5:29pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Not just the first 10 games…Jolly didn’t take a penny unless he kept town up. Then he received £50k, he gambled for a chance at EFL management and it paid off LUCKILY
Posted by: MarinerDevil, October 13, 2021, 6:01pm; Reply: 29
Chesterfield have now said they've turned it down.  It's a really odd move, Southend would have to pay substantial compensation when they're already in a financial tight spot, and surely Rowe would rather continue doing well with Chesterfield until a league club eventually comes calling?  

Smacks of a club desperately trying to show ambition to its supporters while the walls are crumbling.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, October 13, 2021, 6:10pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from MarinerDevil
Chesterfield have now said they've turned it down.  It's a really odd move, Southend would have to pay substantial compensation when they're already in a financial tight spot, and surely Rowe would rather continue doing well with Chesterfield until a league club eventually comes calling?  

Smacks of a club desperately trying to show ambition to its supporters while the walls are crumbling.

Or a chairman realising that the solids have really hit the air conditioning and that he has to invest to save the club from oblivion. A kind of anti Fenty.
Posted by: DB, October 13, 2021, 6:22pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Les Brechin

I make it £41, must have been advised by Fenty! ;) ;)

Posted by: jamesgtfc, October 13, 2021, 11:41pm; Reply: 32

Or a chairman realising that the solids have really hit the air conditioning and that he has to invest to save the club from oblivion. A kind of anti Fenty.

Maybe he took some advice from Lincoln which went along the lines of "call John Fenty and whatever he tells you, do the opposite."
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, October 14, 2021, 10:53am; Reply: 33
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Maybe he took some advice from Lincoln which went along the lines of "call John Fenty and whatever he tells you, do the opposite."

"Hi John, we've just sacked Phil Brown, what should we do?..."

"Oh mate.....firstly put a former player in temporary charge who has no management experience. Or your physio. That'll save you a few bob. Look around the Botswanan second division for a manager who you might be able to get for the rest of the season for free, you can convince him it's a great opportunity. Doesn't matter if he's been successful. Not just Botswana, look at the Faroe Islands or Ethiopia as well. Finally, see if there's a washed up 'name' who's either a drunk or certifiable and will come for absolutely f*ck all because he's desperate. The money you save from paying the manager you can pocket. And one final thing...and this is really important.....it's not your fault, either Brown didn't do what he promised or it's the supporter's fault."

"Thanks John, that's really helpful.......BOB! Call Chesterfield...."
Posted by: RonMariner, October 14, 2021, 7:41pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Yeah, that was me :-)

Good work.
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 2:13am