Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Townforlife, October 7, 2021, 7:52pm
Interesting to compare the quality of our football now with this classic. https://youtu.be/jLDHVeHVWvc
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 7, 2021, 8:11pm; Reply: 1
What a team!
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, October 7, 2021, 8:17pm; Reply: 2
Certainly demonstrates what a fantastic player Joe Waters was, superb skills on a dodgy surface.
Posted by: LN8Mariner, October 7, 2021, 8:48pm; Reply: 3
I like some of the tackles that would probably be a yellow or red card now not even giving away a free kick. That quick double on about 7:15 where the Portsmouth player jumps in studs up then gets up and tries again to be stamped on (a little!), play on!
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 7, 2021, 9:00pm; Reply: 4
Joe Waters, my favourite player to ever pull on the famous black & white shirt. Plus, what a save by my other boyhood hero Nigel Batch at 2-1.
Posted by: bobbyturtle, October 7, 2021, 9:17pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Les Brechin
Joe Waters, my favourite player to ever pull on the famous black & white shirt. Plus, what a save by my other boyhood hero Nigel Batch at 2-1.

Indeed, my formative years too. Great times to become addicted to the mariners
Posted by: LondonMariner43, October 7, 2021, 9:53pm; Reply: 6
My first season following Town. I remember that game being on MotD but strangely it was in my memory as a home game!

Loved those driving runs from Joe Waters!

Did Nigel Batch really play without gloves?  He’s even more of a hero if that’s the case!
Posted by: bobbyturtle, October 7, 2021, 9:59pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from LondonMariner43
My first season following Town. I remember that game being on MotD but strangely it was in my memory as a home game!

Loved those driving runs from Joe Waters!

Did Nigel Batch really play without gloves?  He’s even more of a hero if that’s the case!

two footed too
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 7, 2021, 10:28pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from bobbyturtle

two footed too

Like several of the tackles.
Posted by: SouthLakesMariner, October 7, 2021, 10:30pm; Reply: 9
Definitely my favourite Town side and those back to back promotion seasons were my favourite seasons. I seem to remember Nigel Batch’s save was nominated for save of the season, but they never got round to announcing a winner. Does anyone else recall that, or have I got it wrong?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 7, 2021, 10:33pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from bobbyturtle

two footed too

I recall that used to take goal kicks and kick from hand with different feet, I remember Derek Dougan spotting that when Town where on the TV one week.
Posted by: DB, October 8, 2021, 4:07am; Reply: 11
Thanks for posting that match, the football I was brought upon. Walters is brilliant, it would be nice to have someone with that talent today.

6 homegrown players in that side, a rarity today, and a shot of George Kerr in the dugout. I wonder when a league 2 ( old 4th Div ) will be featured on MOTD next? ;) ;)
Posted by: cmackenzie4, October 8, 2021, 6:46am; Reply: 12
That’s the team I remember as a child, I’d have been 9 when this match was played,  it was great watching that, thanks for sharing.
Posted by: Mariner56, October 8, 2021, 7:49am; Reply: 13
I loved the in-depth match analysis at the end from Jimmy Hill 😆
Brilliant times!
Posted by: The Yard Dog, October 8, 2021, 8:17am; Reply: 14
Quoted from DB
Thanks for posting that match, the football I was brought upon.[/b] Walters is brilliant[b], it would be nice to have someone with that talent today.

6 homegrown players in that side, a rarity today, and a shot of George Kerr in the dugout. I wonder when a league 2 ( old 4th Div ) will be featured on MOTD next? ;) ;)

Who this Walters bloke, dont remember him playing Town.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, October 8, 2021, 10:04am; Reply: 15
Kev Moore still a full back. Batchy pulling off a worldy, Waters skinning the whole team. We were spoilt.
Posted by: Abdul19, October 8, 2021, 10:48am; Reply: 16
Quoted from The Yard Dog

Same side as Cummings.
Posted by: Ipswin, October 8, 2021, 10:49am; Reply: 17
Surprised anyone could play on that surface Divots everywhere
Posted by: Brazilnut, October 8, 2021, 11:17am; Reply: 18
Quoted from SouthLakesMariner
Definitely my favourite Town side and those back to back promotion seasons were my favourite seasons. I seem to remember Nigel Batch’s save was nominated for save of the season, but they never got round to announcing a winner. Does anyone else recall that, or have I got it wrong?

I seem to remember  it being nominated for that
Posted by: TinklerMan, October 8, 2021, 11:33am; Reply: 19
Only one substitute, goalkeepers not wearing gloves and no pass back rule.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 8, 2021, 12:07pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from The Yard Dog

I think he was Irlish like Padraig Almond.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, October 8, 2021, 1:12pm; Reply: 21
I was at that game.  only about 50 of us.  Seem to remember a pompey fan and his lad on tghe bus with us.  God they took some stick on the way back.  Sang "Tragedy,  Portsmouth one, Grimsby three" all the way back
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 8, 2021, 6:38pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from TinklerMan
Only one substitute, goalkeepers not wearing gloves and no pass back rule.

And 2 points for a win.
Posted by: Lincspoacher, October 8, 2021, 8:14pm; Reply: 23
Just watched the highlights and brings back so many great memories with those players.

Can anyone else recall the graffiti that was painted on one of the last garden walls before you leave Laceby Acres and meet where Morrison’s is now that was there for quite a few years?

It said “All Yorkies prepare your coffins, Bob is our leader”

Referring to Cummings obviously and we all knew that.

Sure it was there throughout the 80s!
Posted by: spartacus, October 8, 2021, 11:33pm; Reply: 24
Wasn't there also one that simply said "Yorkies Die"?
Print page generated: May 8, 2024, 6:12pm