Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 7, 2021, 9:14am

The price off success I suppose....

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hull-city-scouts-grimsby-town-6021215
Posted by: denni266, October 7, 2021, 9:28am; Reply: 1
Yes well they can crawl back to there mud huts , As soon as we start to get a good team together the vultures come circulating  over head trying to rip us apart . I know its all part of sucess but they can go away in jerky movements for me and leave us alone .
Posted by: quebec38, October 7, 2021, 9:57am; Reply: 2
That is a bad article. Realistically Hull are only going to be looking at Bapaga, Hunt or Towler and none of those belong to us so nothing to worry about really as what happens to them next is out of our hands.

Fingers crossed their parent clubs appreciate the work they are doing with Grimsby and would rather them be with us at the minute than at the basket case Hull City.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, October 7, 2021, 10:31am; Reply: 3
Someone on Twitter posted a photo of a sheet of which journalists and which scouts were on the list to attend the match. Probably twenty scouts from all kinds of different levels and would guess some were specifically there to watch someone but would also assume scouts just go to matches to see if they spot anything. Hull were on it but I think so were Motherwell and TNS

That photo has basically been stretched into a newspaper article.
Posted by: Withnail, October 7, 2021, 10:57am; Reply: 4
For the love of God don't let anyone tip them off about the exciting prospect that is Montel Gibson, or Danny Rose.
Posted by: RichMariner, October 7, 2021, 11:21am; Reply: 5
I think you get at least a dozen or so scouts going to any game as standard. There's big love for data at the moment but nothing beats scouting players in person.
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 7, 2021, 11:32am; Reply: 6
In relation to scouts watching Town games, no surprise.  We're flying at the minute, playing great football and that naturally attracts interest.  

But as others have said, it's common part of the game.   I'd highly recommend Michael Calvin's book 'The Nowhere Men' if you want an insight into the world of scouting.  Scouts go to lots and lots of games, often with no real focus but just to extend their knowledge base or as a networking opportunity.

The location of the fixture on Tuesday will have been attractive to a lot of scouts.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 7, 2021, 11:50am; Reply: 7
Midweek when only non league fixtures are on. Maybe they get paid for every game they watch and Alty is quite accessible 😎
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, October 7, 2021, 12:34pm; Reply: 8
I know of several examples of cheeky sods telling clubs that they're scouts just to get into the games for free! And they get a cup of tea at half time.

Apparently very few clubs check if you are a scout or not.
Posted by: acko338, October 7, 2021, 12:40pm; Reply: 9
We will have done our checks on our loanees and new signings so it's fair play on both sides.

We just need to show that we are caring for loanees and helping them to progress in games that they would not be getting at their parent clubs.
Posted by: Kris2, October 7, 2021, 1:43pm; Reply: 10
This is such a non news article lol. Scouts attend pretty much every single game of football, that's what their job is. They make it sound like Hull is chasing several players when it's really not the case.
Posted by: immariner, October 7, 2021, 6:39pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from quebec38
That is a bad article. Realistically Hull are only going to be looking at Bapaga, Hunt or Towler and none of those belong to us so nothing to worry about really as what happens to them next is out of our hands.

Fingers crossed their parent clubs appreciate the work they are doing with Grimsby and would rather them be with us at the minute than at the basket case Hull City.

If anyone it would be McAtee.
Posted by: wigworld, October 7, 2021, 10:25pm; Reply: 12
I know of several examples of cheeky sods telling clubs that they're scouts just to get into the games for free! And they get a cup of tea at half time.

Really? If someone came into my place of work, scouting for the best employees to poach, I'd give them a kick up the asre and tell them to psis off.

(Not disputing that this activity takes place, but it seems odd that scouts get in free and are welcomed).
Posted by: aldi_01, October 8, 2021, 6:13am; Reply: 13
Quoted from wigworld

Really? If someone came into my place of work, scouting for the best employees to poach, I'd give them a kick up the asre and tell them to psis off.

(Not disputing that this activity takes place, but it seems odd that scouts get in free and are welcomed).

Not all scouts are there to poach players…and this is nothing new, nor is this really a story…
Posted by: pizzzza, October 8, 2021, 6:38am; Reply: 14
The story served it's purpose and managed to get several Town supporters to click onto a website that they probably would not normally use. Non-story clickbait.
Posted by: Mallyner, October 8, 2021, 8:52am; Reply: 15
Quoted from aldi_01

Not all scouts are there to poach players…and this is nothing new, nor is this really a story…

I hope scouts are better at poaching than they are brewing.

In the days when it was considered safe for them to do bob a job, some came around to our business and the only job we could think of, was to make the tea for 8 of us. The tea arrived and we gave them a generous donation, but when we tasted it, it was absolutely disgusting.

We found out why, they had boiled the tea bags in the kettle.  :-/

Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 8, 2021, 2:36pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Mallyner

I hope scouts are better at poaching than they are brewing.

In the days when it was considered safe for them to do bob a job, some came around to our business and the only job we could think of, was to make the tea for 8 of us. The tea arrived and we gave them a generous donation, but when we tasted it, it was absolutely disgusting.

We found out why, they had boiled the tea bags in the kettle.  :-/

Bloody hell, those scouts were precocious. It took my mother 85 years to develop that skill, bless her.
Posted by: Gaffer58, October 8, 2021, 3:37pm; Reply: 17
Could some of the scouts have been from the clubs we’ve loaned players from, just checking up on their players to report back to the parent club?
Posted by: ginnywings, October 8, 2021, 7:18pm; Reply: 18
Scouts at a football match. Whatever next, politicians at a brothel?
Posted by: codcheeky, October 9, 2021, 5:34am; Reply: 19
Quoted from wigworld

Like it or not most clubs are selling clubs and a windfall from the sale of a good young player is usually welcomed.
If someone offered your best employee lots more money and better terms most likely they would hand in their notice and leave, you would not get a transfer fee even though you may have trained them from young,
Two or three clubs watching the same player will inevitably push the value of player so welcoming scouts is sensible
Print page generated: May 3, 2024, 8:38am