Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 28, 2021, 3:02pm
I didn't even know his signing was subject to a tribunal.

Strange that neither club are making any comment on the outcome.

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2021/september/john-mcatee-tribunal-confirmed/

https://www.scunthorpe-united.co.uk/news/2021/september/club-statement-john-mcatee/
Posted by: aussiej, September 28, 2021, 3:03pm; Reply: 1
So much for openess...  lol.   ;)
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 28, 2021, 3:09pm; Reply: 2
So they didn't want Rose and Morais in exchange then?
Posted by: Marinerdan, September 28, 2021, 3:13pm; Reply: 3
Maybe I’m reading too much between the lines but the statements are slightly different. Ours says ‘we will make no further comment’ whereas Scunthorpes says ‘neither club will make any comment’.

That feels like the undisclosed part of the settlement is coming from their end.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 28, 2021, 3:22pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from aussiej

You can only be open if the other party agrees. I guess Mr Swann doesn't want anyone to know how much he's siphoning out of SUFC this week.
Posted by: grimps, September 28, 2021, 3:35pm; Reply: 5
Any club would be stupid to show their hand before a tribunal.
If we came out and said we think he’s worth £20000 and the tribunal was thinking he’s worth less then we’ve shot ourselves in the foot
Posted by: VinnyGTFC, September 28, 2021, 3:40pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from aussiej

They've obviously been told not to divulge anything by the tribunal , and why do we need to know?
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 28, 2021, 3:42pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from grimps
Any club would be stupid to show their hand before a tribunal.
If we came out and said we think he’s worth £20000 and the tribunal was thinking he’s worth less then we’ve shot ourselves in the foot

The tribunal is all done and dusted!
Posted by: acko338, September 28, 2021, 4:15pm; Reply: 8
We've got the player !!

Result !!
Posted by: DB, September 28, 2021, 4:46pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from aussiej

We don't want any comments, but an answer to a question. How much? ;)

Posted by: Abdul19, September 28, 2021, 4:46pm; Reply: 10
I reckon that missed pen was a shrewd move to save us a couple of quid.
Posted by: Brazilnut, September 28, 2021, 4:47pm; Reply: 11
Would think it is because he is under 23  ....and anyone signing an under 23yr old has to compensate the club  for the development of that player ....thats if the club wanted to keep him or offered him the same or improved contract

Tho cant seeing it being much as they only had him for 2 years
Posted by: Poojah, September 28, 2021, 5:01pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Brazilnut
Would think it is because he is under 23  ....and anyone signing an under 23yr old has to compensate the club  for the development of that player ....thats if the club wanted to keep him or offered him the same or improved contract

Tho cant seeing it being much as they only had him for 2 years

It’s usually shìte from the perspective of the departed club, and that’s even when we’re talking about a promising young player who’s been poached by a club some way up the food chain.

I’m not suggesting for a second that McAtee isn’t a promising player - he’s class at this level and in my opinion will go on to play much higher in spite of his current career trajectory. However, from the perspective that is the blunt instrument of the tribunal system, they’re not going to attribute much value to a player who’s just dropped out of the football league and who was only at Scunny for a couple of years (which I think is a big factor).

As for the apparent silence from both clubs, I imagine the sum is so paltry that Scunny simply agreed not to appeal the decision so long as Town agreed not to disclose figure involved, thus obscuring the ineptitude of Swann and co.
Posted by: mimma, September 28, 2021, 5:59pm; Reply: 13
Why do you feel the need to know all the details?  We have him, our gain is their loss. That's all I need to know. Not bothered about the nitty gritty.
Posted by: golfer, September 28, 2021, 6:07pm; Reply: 14
I want to know because I am a nosy sodd
Posted by: bradzmilne, September 28, 2021, 6:48pm; Reply: 15
My guess is that we payed absolutely peanuts (based on length of time at club/number of games played etc.).

As a result, Scunthorpe don’t want to release the figures of the tribunal as it is likely to aggrieve fans. Especially when you look at how quickly the fans have warmed to him here.

Tough times for the Scunts.
Posted by: LH, September 28, 2021, 6:50pm; Reply: 16
Mad to think that we got a future Ballon D’or winner through a tribunal. Scunny will be kicking themselves when it happens.
Posted by: Maringer, September 28, 2021, 7:23pm; Reply: 17
You wouldn't think we'd have had to pay much for a youngster stepping down a division. Would make a nice change to be on the right side of the sum in a tribunal for a change.
Posted by: Gaffer58, September 28, 2021, 7:40pm; Reply: 18
General question, why is he so productive for us, even a league lower down, but scunny didn’t want him?
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 28, 2021, 7:41pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Gaffer58
General question, why is he so productive for us, even a league lower down, but scunny didn’t want him?

Had a chat with a scunny fan who said he played superb under Hurst, think your answers there.
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 28, 2021, 7:42pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Gaffer58

I thought Scunny offered him terms but he turned them down to sign for us?
Posted by: headingly_mariner, September 28, 2021, 8:33pm; Reply: 21
Worth every penny 😂
Posted by: LH, September 28, 2021, 8:37pm; Reply: 22
Oh Johnny, Johnny!
He only cost a tenner and he scores us goals!
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 28, 2021, 9:12pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from mimma
Why do you feel the need to know all the details?  We have him, our gain is their loss. That's all I need to know. Not bothered about the nitty gritty.

It would be nice to know how much he has cost us. Or would you be happy football clubs never have to disclose how much they pay in transfer fees?
Posted by: moosey_club, September 28, 2021, 9:50pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from arryarryarry

It would be nice to know how much he has cost us. Or would you be happy football clubs never have to disclose how much they pay in transfer fees?

I would, if we keep  it quiet JF wont get any fast track payments on the back of our sales
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 10:15pm