Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 18, 2021, 5:10pm
Great atmosphere (again)

Had to be patient but we got there in the end, that 2nd goal took away any nerves although it was fully deserved.

Said it all to me when Taylor made that last ditch tackle in our defence.

Great team spirit and everyone playing their part.

UTM

[img]https://www.thenonleaguefootballpaper.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Grimsby-goal-Yeovil-Lewis.jpg[/img]
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, September 18, 2021, 5:16pm; Reply: 1
Great game, we were patient when we needed to be, aggreasive when attacking and solid at the back, did Macca make a save?

Well deserved 1st goal from Efete with a thumping header and Fox scored an absolute cracker with a thubderous strike.

Bapa still looks a little Bambi on ice, but its clear he's still getting used Mens Football.

Really struggling for a MoM theres many to choose from, Waterfall, Fox, Clifton, Sousa, but I think Efete takes it again, apart from chopping him dowb Eastleigh had no answer for him.
Posted by: golfer, September 18, 2021, 5:41pm; Reply: 2
Town played well for 90 mins but really showed class when Mcatee came on. What a player. Glad to see The Shop fit and well. Waterfall is a revelation this season.  The quietist Macca has been for yonks
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 18, 2021, 5:44pm; Reply: 3
Lots of 7 out of 10 performances today which was good enough against a pretty moderate Eastleigh. Agree with most of the names already quoted but I would include Adam Crookes who has been a real steady influence at left back.
Posted by: SheepGTFC, September 18, 2021, 5:45pm; Reply: 4
Want to call out, laugh and point at all the naysayers from preseason banging on about Hurst's recruitment, lack of a goalscorer and our chances in the league.

Get copulated the lot of you.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 18, 2021, 5:59pm; Reply: 5
They were neat and tidy but never laid a glove on us. Macca had nothing to do all game.

We never hit the heights of Tuesday but never needed to. Could have had four or five without really laying siege to their goal. We were efficient but lacked a spark until McAtee came on. He's some player and I bet he's gutted to have missed the pen. He did cause havoc though and laid the ball on a plate for Fox to smash in a great strike. How many different scorers is that now?

Routine 3 points, onward and upward.
Posted by: Oly1987, September 18, 2021, 5:59pm; Reply: 6
Another great day out, had to queue to get into the fanzone today! A steady performance from the mariners today never looked to be threatened much and ground out the win while allowing a bit of rotation which is great. Gonna single out Bapaga who started slowly but as the game went on carved out a few chances and made some decent runs and I think will be an asset once he gains a bit of confidence.

Only complaint is that the only food available in the main stand was the standard fair and not the gourmet stuff but had a pretty passable bacon bun.

Took my grandad who hasn't been to town in a long time and he said he was very impressed with our back 2. Nice to get an opinion from someone who doesn't see them regularly.

Another great turnout and brilliant atmosphere will be back a week on Tuesday again! UTMM
Posted by: grimps, September 18, 2021, 6:02pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from SheepGTFC
Want to call out, laugh and point at all the naysayers from preseason banging on about Hurst's recruitment, lack of a goalscorer and our chances in the league.

Not that there’s anything wrong with the ones we’ve got but we’ll need another striker to add some depth to this squad
Posted by: Gaffer58, September 18, 2021, 6:05pm; Reply: 8
What really pleases me is that upto now we have had 9 different scorers.
Posted by: DB, September 18, 2021, 6:07pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from grimps

Not that there’s anything wrong with the ones we’ve got but we’ll need another striker to add some depth to this squad

More the merrier but we have had 9 different goal scorers in 6 games. And no number 9. ;) ;)

Posted by: TAGG, September 18, 2021, 6:09pm; Reply: 10
They can't be all classic games.
We were very patient, defended very well when needed, some real good football when we could.
Fox was my MOM and deserved his goal.
Great atmos, Clean sheet, three points, can't ask for more.
Well done to all the lads UTM  :)
Posted by: marinette, September 18, 2021, 6:15pm; Reply: 11
Thought the first half was crying out for a goal but everyone (including the fans) was patient and it was a great one when it came.

Sousa was my MoM at first; thought he had a brilliant game and was onto everything.  But when McAtee came on, it seemed like the whole place came alive, everybody woke up and started going for it full throttle.  McAtee's such an exciting player to watch.  Still going for Sousa as MoM though, as he looked as if he was going to do something special just about every time he got the ball and he stood out for me when things were a bit quieter in the first half.    Fantastic team performance by all yet again, and if there were any weaker links, they were well covered by the rest of the team, especially towards the end.

Can't believe how well the team have done so far - beyond my wildest expectations, and it really makes up for the misery that was last season.  Enjoying being back at BP so much.
Posted by: chaos33, September 18, 2021, 6:22pm; Reply: 12
Hurst post match:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1IFd_iJoch4
Posted by: AndyGTFC, September 18, 2021, 6:28pm; Reply: 13
Another win to continue a fantastic start. Wasn't the prettiest first half but never really felt threatened and we obviously scored at a great time just before the break.  

Looked a different team when McAtee came on. Him, Sousa and Taylor are top options to have at the top end of the pitch.
Posted by: PB, September 18, 2021, 6:45pm; Reply: 14
A very different opposition and game from Tuesday, but a great effort and result. I need to mention Towler who was brilliant and my Mom. He quietly and efficiently just gets on with it, and I don’t think he put a foot (or head) wrong this afternoon.
One other point is that the right flank combination of Efete and Sousa was way to good for them, and the they had no answer other than to foul one or the other. Crookes and Bapaga Down the left is obviously work in progress.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, September 18, 2021, 6:53pm; Reply: 15
I think I’ve died and woken up in heaven!
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 18, 2021, 6:54pm; Reply: 16
We all knew it was going to be a different game to Tuesday but it felt very flat most of the first half. They weren't closing us down and without McAtee, we weren't doing much of it either.

Great goal from Efete when all the attention was on what Waterfall can do from the corner. Teams are going to hate conceding corners to us before long.

Bapaga seemed to fall to pieces whenever he got near the box but I'm confident he will be a totally different player by May. On the other wing, they were absolutely petrified of Sousa who had yet another good game.

Once McAtee came on, it lifted the crowd and his energy made our players step up a gear too. Great finish from Fox for the goal too.

We weren't really troubled and on we march. What a start we've made.
Posted by: moosey_club, September 18, 2021, 6:54pm; Reply: 17
Slower start today, the lack of Mcatee and change of midfield playing its part I think.
Huffed and puffed early doors but started to get going towards the end of the first half, great to get the goal at that time,another thumping header meeting that Hunt delivery.

Second half pretty much bossed it, no real worries from what Eastleigh could offer but when Mcatee came on we upped the pressure, intensity and Eastleigh couldnt cope.

Lovely second goal.

Completely untroubled victory in reality.

Mom Efete for me.

UTM
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, September 18, 2021, 7:07pm; Reply: 18
What another super day at Blundell Park

Awesome result, enjoyed me hot dog, and the atmosphere was brill again.

Also, lovely to see John Fenty back at Blundell Park enjoying the occasion with his lovely family. And nice to see Justin Whittle too.

Keep up the great work fans. This Town Knows
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 18, 2021, 7:10pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Fillipe Noche

Also, lovely to see John Fenty back at Blundell Park enjoying the occasion with his lovely family. And nice to see Justin Whittle too.

Great to see Whitts about the place I agree.

As for your mate, I hope he feels sick looking at what he could have had if he didn't spend 18 years devaluing the product.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 18, 2021, 7:19pm; Reply: 20

Fair play to your mate.

Fancy having the balls to revisit the scene of the car crash he caused.
Posted by: GhostDan, September 18, 2021, 7:28pm; Reply: 21
He’s got some front turning back up at he club he neglected & watched rot the core.

I would say I hope he sees what could have achieved with an ounce of humility, a desire to be better, an willingness to listen and a focus on community.. but he’s beyond deluded, I bet he thinks he’s played his part in our resurrection.  First Class Whopper.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 18, 2021, 7:34pm; Reply: 22

Are you taking the p!ss?.. honestly, he's the most hated man at GTFC and about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit...more front than Binns turning up on our turf after nearly scuttling our great club!!
Posted by: rancido, September 18, 2021, 7:41pm; Reply: 23
I never saw The Leech. Good job!!!
Posted by: headingly_mariner, September 18, 2021, 7:57pm; Reply: 24
Never needed to get through the gears. Played quite well 2nd half. It would be great if we are still unbeaten by the next time we play at Blundell Park.

Only negative of the day was seeing Fenty.
Posted by: HerveJosse, September 18, 2021, 8:02pm; Reply: 25
I said on Tuesday that Mcatee reminded me of Cantona for his influence on a game.Transformed a workmanlike 1-0 into a comfortable win as soon as he came on. Without getting carried away when was the last time we had a better footballer in our team?
Posted by: blundellpork, September 18, 2021, 8:04pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from HerveJosse
I said on Tuesday that Mcatee reminded me of Cantona for his influence on a game.Transformed a workmanlike 1-0 into a comfortable win as soon as he came on. Without getting carried away when was the last time we had a better footballer in our team?

John Oster on loan, c 2003?
Posted by: Hagrid, September 18, 2021, 8:13pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from HerveJosse

Nolan for me. He carried us
Posted by: immariner, September 18, 2021, 8:27pm; Reply: 28
All the good stuff mentioned. We were comfortable but McAtee absolutely changed the complexion of the game with his energy and directness. I pray he stays fit, he's different gravy for this level. Everyone has seemingly forgot the absolute sitter they missed at 1-0, that was a real let off.
Posted by: Hagrid, September 18, 2021, 8:29pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from immariner
All the good stuff mentioned. We were comfortable but McAtee absolutely changed the complexion of the game with his energy and directness. I pray he stays fit, he's different gravy for this level. Everyone has seemingly forgot the absolute sitter they missed at 1-0, that was a real let off.

Good point i’d forgotten it! Was so poor from Bapaga who just didnt track his man at all
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, September 18, 2021, 8:38pm; Reply: 30
For me workmanlike performance against a side that had plenty of possession but never looked like creating a chance. Agreed with Hurst’s post match summary in that we looked a little “leggy” and got caught on our heels a bit today but in reality we won without getting out of first gear.

For me a left sided and left footed midfield player and another striker would make us real title contenders and give the team real balance. Not to say it would be Harry that drops out of the side as he is so versatile he can cover and play in many positions.

Comfortable win despite not being the greatest spectacle but we are not getting caviar every week and all that really matters is we won 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😄😄.
Posted by: forza ivano, September 18, 2021, 9:22pm; Reply: 31

feck off you feckin knobb
Posted by: joe56, September 18, 2021, 9:28pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from PB
A very different opposition and game from Tuesday, but a great effort and result. I need to mention Towler who was brilliant and my Mom. He quietly and efficiently just gets on with it, and I don’t think he put a foot (or head) wrong this afternoon.
One other point is that the right flank combination of Efete and Sousa was way to good for them, and the they had no answer other than to foul one or the other. Crookes and Bapaga Down the left is obviously work in progress.

Basically, I agree with all three of your points except that, even with only half a an hour on the pitch, McAtee would be my MoM. Different class. But Towler was magnificent. Never missed a header and strong on the ground too. Hard to believe he’s only 19!
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, September 18, 2021, 9:48pm; Reply: 33
A  good day at the office.  Functional and effective.   The season might be underpinned by wins against unfashionable sides.  McAtee is so important to the team.

9 different scorers this season is surreal. A real plus.

Great credit to to the 29 Eastleigh fans who made the very long trip for little no reward.
Posted by: Zmariner, September 18, 2021, 10:56pm; Reply: 34

A great day agreed
You can never resist a comment that would always make you unpopular. You are a bit odd I find
Posted by: Poojah, September 18, 2021, 11:10pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from SheepGTFC

I’ll put my hands up here, I wouldn’t call myself a ‘naysayer’ in so much that I felt we’ve been going about our business in the right way, however I’ve been vocal in saying that I felt our chances of promotion this season were slim at best. You just don’t finish bottom of League Two, make 14 or 15 signings and go straight up again - especially when clubs in the National League are seemingly spending at unprecedented levels. The way we’ve started goes against logic - it shouldn’t be happening, but the fact it is is testament to all a concerned.  

These are early days, but I have to admit that I’ve been taken aback by how good, how together this team looks already. It was imperfect at times today, but it never really felt in doubt. When we played Weymouth just a few weeks ago I remarked at how bizarre it felt to be watching a side with nine debutants (ten if you were to include Pearson) - the team felt somewhat alien to me. Less than a month on they feel every bit a Town team, a proper Town team, potentially the most likeable set of players since since the late 90s. Time will tell on that one.

In terms of the game itself, expectations were understandably high in this one and it’s perhaps understandable that things felt a bit flat. There was an element of spontaneity about the atmosphere and electricity of Tuesday evening - the reason nights like that are special is because they don’t happen every week.

Sloppy at times first half, but comfortably the better side and rarely in trouble - Taylor popping up in the right place at the right time to thwart their one real opportunity says a lot about the way this side is set up. Missed the goal, but watching the Upper Findus erupt from the vantage of the fan zone was at least something.

Second half was much better, and though Eastleigh did spurn a free header at the back post at 1-0, it does seem to be characteristic of this level that you tend to get away with one or two of those a game.

The real turning point did seem to be McAtee’s arrival on the pitch. For a lad not long turned 22, he has some fúcking presence. The fans, and even more significantly the players, seem to look to him to set the level, and it can’t be a coincidence that we improved tangibly as soon as he came on. He looks to me like a player who can go on to play at least two levels higher than this, if not more. I’m left scratching my head as to how the hell we got him and what the fúck Scunny were doing with him - he’s a class act.

It was a cracking finish by Fox for the second, a proper pile driver, but again kudos to McAtee for how he manages to get the ball under control to lay it off for the shot in the first place. I’ll forgive him for the penalty miss - he’s utterly talismanic.

One final word on Bapaga. He hasn’t got a left foot, and looks totally lost out on the left wing. In the ten minutes or so he had on the right I thought he looked a totally different and very capable player, winning the penalty no less. Something to think about there, because he came here very highly rated, he just doesn’t look comfortable on the left.

All-in-all, a very effective if not sensational victory. Two tricky away game up next - four points (or more) from those and we look very well set, and potential for another big crowd for Dover in a couple of weeks’ time.

Really enjoying this. UTM!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 18, 2021, 11:24pm; Reply: 36
Firstly though I was a bit disappointed to not see McAtee start I think this was a good call by Hurst to mix it up a bit in terms of selection Bapaga looks like he needs game time and some confidence and Foxy has been more than patient. I’m sure Max would have been in line for a start if he wasn’t injured.

In terms of selection I think it was great to see Hurst give Alex Hunt the job if playing in front of the back 4 as that’s a big responsibility and a good learning for the lad.

Overall I think this was a really professional performance from Town after a good away win, a big mid week home win the Town have old would have really struggled today and the game would have been a non event. Not this group though they can play, trust each other, have a good work rate and just seem to stick to the plan. Oh yeah and they have a real winning desire and winning is a great habit.

Some stuff I noticed….

Macca, very tittle to do,again! Our back 4 looked pretty solid today..

Effete, a unit and just looks like he’s really progressing. Really good header for the goal.

Crookes, not only does he resemble Gregor Robertson in style he’s similar in that he’s very tidy and does the basics really well.

Waterfall, amazing what confidence does for players, enough said.

Towler, first time I’ve seen him and he’s going to be a good player for sure. Looks a bit like Stuart Broad too from a distance. Knows when to play and when to boot it.

Hunt, will have learnt a lot today but he’s a big player for us at the moment, it’s fair to say he can take a corner.

Harry, looked a bit jaded but the big difference is that he’s moving forward with the ball at his feet rather than playing it sideways or backwards

Foxy, busy, busy, busy and very tidy in everything he does, great strike for the goal.

Bapaga, grew into it but you can see he’s got ability and potential, worked harder off the ball today too.

Soussa, he’s not only a tricky f*****r he’s starting to show some real intelligence too. His work rate is strong and he’s just getting better.

Taylor, again getting better and the defensive block in the 1st half illustrates what this side is about. He like a few others look better than NL level.

The addition of McAtee just made the difference at the right time this kid just loves to cause chaos. If I was a Scunt I’d be severely p1ssed off that he came to us as he’s making such a difference on and off the ball.

This side and our support do not look like a non league outfit and today underlined that. The only downer for me was the muppets in the upper who each game boo the players taking the knee, many of whom go home and away and a few of them do the same to watch England 🤷‍♂️ Whether or not you agree with the knee just booing people for making a non confrontational display of their views and values belongs in a past decade. Personally I find it a bit embarrassing.

Like I say today was a really professional display from the players and staff.

At the moment BP feels like a good place to be on and off the pitch, credit to all, long may it continue.

UTM!!!

P..S. 6,000+ ……. Awesome support 👏👏👏
Posted by: fishcake63, September 19, 2021, 6:57am; Reply: 37
Will post now i'm more sober , not perfect by any stretch but result never in doubt at times our football or atmosphere didn't reach tuesday night but i expected that in a way , it was telling how fit we looked after a hard week or so , main talking point in upper findus was mcatee , i will have my say on this lad again he his the best player to put on a grimsby shirt in years i can't believe we got him , love watching him play his control vision movement getting others to play round him belongs in lge 1 at least , he will win us games when we are below par in this lge , also a mention to back four never saw macca make a save enough said , enjoy your sunday utm
Posted by: Nutsy, September 19, 2021, 8:00am; Reply: 38
I’m very impressed with the style Hurst has implemented. The full backs Crookes and Efete are fantastic at not just defending but playing the ball out or running with it. They’re both 24/23, which is fantastic for us - brilliant finds from Mr Hurst. We’ve not had fantastic full backs in quite a while - my mind goes back to Tait as the standout best, prior to that Gregor was dependable.

Hunt, Fox, Clifton and Coke give us a quality midfield, with defensive work rate, forward passing and genuine quality.

The oldies up top - LJL, Taylor and hopefully Grant - offer us some experience and a figure up there; flanked by the pace of Wright, the skill of Sousa and the immense quality of McAttee.

Sousa has been a very special find, as I for one was surprised looking at his history to think he would be a game changer and really nuisance for the opposition. We’ve had skilfull wingers before who run up blind alleys (Neilson, Makreth etc), but Sousa knows what to do and tries to produce something.

McAttee has been a gem, showing realn Cantona-esque quality and able to control a game.

McKeown has been decent so far, but having the much improved Waterfall and highly promising Towler as the athletic “legs” of the two helps a lot. Good combination and again, kudos to Hurst for sticking with Waterfall. I wasn’t confined Pearson and Waterfall would work; but having a unit (Pearson and Waterfall) paired with some athleticism (Towler and Longe King) gives us 2 fantastic pairings at this level.

Absolutely buzzing - UTM!
Posted by: chaos33, September 19, 2021, 9:16am; Reply: 39
There’s some good footage in here - especially the first goal and the crowd/singing.

/https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PTF7S32ErUw
Posted by: gtfcmd, September 19, 2021, 9:23am; Reply: 40
Did anybody notice the new so called security stewards trying to impersonate the police from uniforms to having handcuffs etc, when it kicked off in the pontoon yesterday they just stood there not having a clue what to do, some just seem very argumentative about the slightest of things. Maybe need stewards that’s are correctly trained for such a volatile area of the ground.
Posted by: Hagrid, September 19, 2021, 9:39am; Reply: 41
Quoted from gtfcmd
Did anybody notice the new so called security stewards trying to impersonate the police from uniforms to having handcuffs etc, when it kicked off in the pontoon yesterday they just stood there not having a clue what to do, some just seem very argumentative about the slightest of things. Maybe need stewards that’s are correctly trained for such a volatile area of the ground.

Volatile!? a load of spotty teenagers😂
Posted by: pontoonlew, September 19, 2021, 9:39am; Reply: 42
If ever you needed a reminder just how good John McAtee is, yesterday was it. Absolutely transformed the game when he came on and most crucially, brought everyone else up a notch.

Can’t believe we’ve managed to get him
Posted by: LH, September 19, 2021, 9:44am; Reply: 43
Quoted from Hagrid

Volatile!? a load of spotty teenagers😂

I thought exactly the same. Were the stewards trying to get them to do their homework or tidy their bedrooms?
Posted by: RobDef1, September 19, 2021, 10:45am; Reply: 44
Had a wonderful day yesterday. My 2 exile uncles and cousin came up for the game and it was great to see them for the first time in years. First half was a little flat but felt completely at ease and was always confident we would get the win. Id been banging on about Hunts corner for the Wrexham goal since Tuesday to my dad so when Efete headed home it was very satisfying to turn to him and say 'THAT ball'  ;)

2nd half we were much better I thought. This is no discredit to the rest of the team because they all play for each other and are a joy to watch. But there is no mistaking it.. when McAtee is introduced, the whole spectacle lifts. The crowd got noisier, the passing got quicker and more threatening, and the rest of the game seemed to be played in and around their goal, barring a little spell for them towards the end.

Lovely to see my family experiencing all the good stuff about the club now after banging on about it to them since the Weymouth game. And tomorrow, FINALLY, I can afford a season ticket.   :) :) :) Very happy mariner.
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 19, 2021, 12:34pm; Reply: 45
Great game, we were patient when we needed to be, aggreasive when attacking and solid at the back, did Macca make a save?

Well deserved 1st goal from Efete with a thumping header and Fox scored an absolute cracker with a thubderous strike.

Bapa still looks a little Bambi on ice, but its clear he's still getting used Mens Football.

Really struggling for a MoM theres many to choose from, Waterfall, Fox, Clifton, Sousa, but I think Efete takes it again, apart from chopping him dowb Eastleigh had no answer for him.

I wouldn't have said a "great game" we won at a canter really but for most of the first half and some of the second we didn't really threaten Eastleigh apart from the corner and goal. I just thought how much McAtee makes such a difference to our performance, his running and effort changed the game. We really do need to hope he stays injury free.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, September 19, 2021, 3:31pm; Reply: 46
Home after my weekend in Lincs. Decent game, never looked in trouble, seemed to lack something attack wise (always hard when the other team parks the bus a bit) but still did the business. Mcatee made a difference when he came on (also helped by Eastleigh starting to go more attacking). Everyone had a good or decent game, 2 great finishes. Macca not a proper save to make, but would have been scrambling if their lad hadn't missed the sitter at the backpost. Pity the pen didn't go in, would have been the icing on the cake. Atmosphere great, feelgood factor back. Who knows how far we can go this season if our key players stay fit (icon_biggrin)
Posted by: Croxton, September 19, 2021, 6:50pm; Reply: 47
Saw this good but slightly illegal match vid earlier but can't find it now on The Fishy. Guess the club objected?

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=grimsby+v+eastleigh
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 20, 2021, 12:45pm; Reply: 48
Always going to have a bit of a Lord Mayors Show feel to it but, unlike previous season, we got the job done and quite comfortably too.

We badly lacked McAtee's energy in-between midfield and attack and if we're to be picky it does worry me that we seem a little bit dependent on him to set the tempo.  However, it's one game without him. It's hardly a crisis.

Performance wise no-one put a foot wrong.  Waterfall is absolutely transformed and Towler looks pure class at this level.  Totally agree with the comments about Crookes, very understated member of the team.

Sousa is getting better with each game and I'd be keen to see him tied down to a longer deal if possible.  Hunt continues to impress and struggling to remember the last time we had such effective set-pieces, genuinely fancy our chances of scoring from every corner at the minute.

The feel good factor at games is incredible and, as mentioned by others, so nice to see the fans remaining patient when the play isn't going our way or we're not 3-0 up after 10 minutes.  
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 10:25am