Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 17, 2021, 1:04am
Looks like there’s 3 of the Missing Thousands were there on Tuesday.

https://mobile.twitter.com/onthisGTFCday/status/1438389525991075844

On this GTFC day.... (@onthisGTFCday) Tweeted: Last time v This time.

18th September 2010
Grimsby v Fleetwood
Att: 3099

14th September 2021
Grimsby v Wrexham
Att: 6663

#GTFC https://t.co/aJkkqG1gqb
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, September 17, 2021, 1:24am; Reply: 1
You'd buy that first one once and never bother again...unless you're weird.
Posted by: aldi_01, September 17, 2021, 6:16am; Reply: 2
Definitely nothing to do with Fenty…
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 17, 2021, 7:44am; Reply: 3
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Looks like there’s 3 of the Missing Thousands were there on Tuesday.

https://mobile.twitter.com/onthisGTFCday/status/1438389525991075844

On this GTFC day.... (@onthisGTFCday) Tweeted: Last time v This time.

18th September 2010
Grimsby v Fleetwood
Att: 3099

14th September 2021
Grimsby v Wrexham
Att: 6663

#GTFC https://t.co/aJkkqG1gqb

Only a few deranged lunatics were staying away because of him though.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, September 17, 2021, 9:17am; Reply: 4
I thought that this thread was going to be about money that has gone missing.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, September 17, 2021, 9:19am; Reply: 5
Sums it up perfectly in 2 pics
Posted by: RobDef1, September 17, 2021, 9:22am; Reply: 6
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
I thought that this thread was going to be about money that has gone missing.

I've heard this referred to a couple of times now, but I'm still non the wiser. Please can someone clarify what we are on about with this 400k? even if by PM. you know, to avoid a libel case from our previous dictator.
Posted by: Hagrid, September 17, 2021, 9:23am; Reply: 7
i saw on twitter we we getting high praise for Jalapenos and nachos on Tuesday night, over 18K Likes and many compliments regarding the food. its good to see
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 17, 2021, 9:31am; Reply: 8
Quoted from RobDef1

I've heard this referred to a couple of times now, but I'm still non the wiser. Please can someone clarify what we are on about with this 400k? even if by PM. you know, to avoid a libel case from our previous dictator.

Basically the £400k youth funding wasn't being spent on the youth team. JS dropped that bombshell on DN35.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 17, 2021, 9:31am; Reply: 9
Quoted from Hagrid
i saw on twitter we we getting high praise for Jalapenos and nachos on Tuesday night, over 18K Likes and many compliments regarding the food. its good to see

One of my mates from down south sent me that. Word is spreading fast.
Posted by: RobDef1, September 17, 2021, 9:38am; Reply: 10
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Basically the £400k youth funding wasn't being spent on the youth team. JS dropped that bombshell on DN35.

Thanks, not surprising is it. JS and AP have done a fantastic job of staying professional when they're probably being made aware of some seriously dodgy stuff.
Posted by: psgmariner, September 17, 2021, 9:40am; Reply: 11
This season’s attendances aren’t just crazily high compared to the fenty years. Have a look at some of our attendances pre 2004 and it’s staggering who many we are getting. We were playing much bigger teams with much bigger away followings as well.

Random example from twitter

https://twitter.com/onthisgtfcday/status/1438767764123103233?s=21
Posted by: denni266, September 17, 2021, 9:42am; Reply: 12
Surley this amount of money that seems missing  warrents  police . 3rd party accountants  etc looking in to it
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, September 17, 2021, 9:45am; Reply: 13
Quoted from denni266
Surley this amount of money that seems missing  warrents  police . 3rd party accountants  etc looking in to it

When did jalapenos and nachos ever get you 3 points on a Saturday?.......

Although Nachos have 3 points.

Thank you, I'm here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 17, 2021, 9:46am; Reply: 14
Quoted from denni266

I wonder if Weaver Wroot are doing the accounts and audit this year...
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 17, 2021, 9:46am; Reply: 15
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I think we ought to be clear here. Jason Stockwood was not in the Luftwaffe raids on Cleethorpes in the 1940s.
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, September 17, 2021, 9:49am; Reply: 16
Quoted from denni266

Probably best to keep quiet on this. If the EFL get wind of it then they could penalise the club.
Posted by: ska face, September 17, 2021, 9:53am; Reply: 17
We’re not in the EFL so they can suck my weaver wroot
Posted by: Fishbone, September 17, 2021, 10:09am; Reply: 18
If we were to keep exceeding the 2010 attendances by 3k, over say 20 games @ approx 20 quid a ticket, that'd be somewhere close to £1.2 million extra through the turnstiles, without additional money spent in the ground etc. That's a lot of benign loans that could be paid off!
Posted by: RonMariner, September 17, 2021, 10:16am; Reply: 19
Quoted from Fishbone
If we were to keep exceeding the 2010 attendances by 3k, over say 20 games @ approx 20 quid a ticket, that'd be somewhere close to £1.2 million extra through the turnstiles, without additional money spent in the ground etc. That's a lot of benign loans that could be paid off!

They are not very benign when they have first dibs on any transfer money coming in.

If he had an ounce of decency he would write £200k off the loans anyway in respect of the shares gifted to him by the trust.

Can't someone track him down and ask him point blank to explain his position on those shares?
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 17, 2021, 10:21am; Reply: 20
Quoted from RonMariner

They are not very benign when they have first dibs on any transfer money coming in.

If he had an ounce of decency he would write £200k off the loans anyway in respect of the shares gifted to him by the trust.

Can't someone track him down and ask him point blank to explain his position on those shares?

I think we know his position
Posted by: RonMariner, September 17, 2021, 10:29am; Reply: 21
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

I fear you are correct, but I still find it massively disappointing that he would pocket the cash in these circumstances. It's not as if he needs the money.
Posted by: Son of Cod, September 17, 2021, 10:31am; Reply: 22
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
You'd buy that first one once and never bother again...unless you're weird.

Haha yeah, I only ever did it once. Quite the culinary achievement in that it somehow tasted worse than it looks.
Posted by: grimps, September 17, 2021, 10:35am; Reply: 23
Quoted from psgmariner
This season’s attendances aren’t just crazily high compared to the fenty years. Have a look at some of our attendances pre 2004 and it’s staggering who many we are getting. We were playing much bigger teams with much bigger away followings as well.

Everyone always says that our crowds were crap in the late 80s and early 90s but if you look at everyone else’s attendances around that time they’re quite comparable  , we was often getting bigger gates than Bradford , Hull , Barnsley , Huddersfield and Preston ect who back then were seen as similar size clubs to us .
The difference is they invested in decent stadiums and in their teams
Posted by: RonMariner, September 17, 2021, 10:44am; Reply: 24
Quoted from psgmariner

What a great line up!
Posted by: Perkins, September 17, 2021, 11:42am; Reply: 25
Quoted from RonMariner

I fear you are correct, but I still find it massively disappointing that he would pocket the cash in these circumstances. It's not as if he needs the money.

I think you will find he does. Allegedly HMRC

Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 17, 2021, 11:59am; Reply: 26
Quoted from Perkins

I think you will find he does. Allegedly HMRC

Just under £1.4m to his creditors according to the document on Companies House. The next report will hopefully state just how much of that was to HMRC.
Posted by: RichMariner, September 17, 2021, 12:19pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Even so, I'd like someone to force him to say it, just so it's out there in black and white (pardon the pun). Don't think he's had to face up to half the humiliation he deserves for what he did to this proud club.

I'd also like someone to ask Ian Holloway directly whether he knew about Alex May from the start. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm not aware of any evidence that he was ever asked this.

Anyhow, don't want to deflect from the original topic of this thread.

There was a video posted a few weeks back that saw us scrape 4,000 at home to Swindon in what is now the Championship (we won 2-1 I think). Mendonca was in the team. We got relegated that season but, even so, it was on the back of some great seasons under Buckley. Just goes to show - it doesn't take much (or long) for crowds to disappear again.

Getting them through the turnstiles is only half the job. Keeping them is the other half. But it's going really well at the moment!
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 17, 2021, 12:44pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from RichMariner

There was a video posted a few weeks back that saw us scrape 4,000 at home to Swindon in what is now the Championship (we won 2-1 I think). Mendonca was in the team. We got relegated that season but, even so, it was on the back of some great seasons under Buckley. Just goes to show - it doesn't take much (or long) for crowds to disappear again.

Getting them through the turnstiles is only half the job. Keeping them is the other half. But it's going really well at the moment!

I can remember going to a 2nd tier midweek game v Port Vale that we won 4-1 about 94ish. Attendance was just over 3400.
Posted by: lukeo, September 17, 2021, 12:47pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from jamesgtfc

One of my mates from down south sent me that. Word is spreading fast.

A friend in Harrogate tagged me in it and then someone down here in the south west.
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, September 17, 2021, 12:58pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from ska face
We’re not in the EFL so they can suck my weaver wroot

We are still receiving funding from the EFL, which they could conceivably remove or withdraw if they find out we weren’t spending their funding on what it was supposed to be spent on.
Posted by: mariner91, September 17, 2021, 1:01pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from RonMariner

The problem is that we know he doesn't.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, September 17, 2021, 1:07pm; Reply: 32
If HMRC are allegedly after him and he has no money left will he qualify for income support and a flat in the East Marsh ?  ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, September 17, 2021, 1:11pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Les Brechin

I can remember going to a 2nd tier midweek game v Port Vale that we won 4-1 about 94ish. Attendance was just over 3400.

My view is that behind the scenes the club was poorly run from way back not just the Fenty years and the brilliance of AB masked a long term trend of decline. Blundell Park has been a shithole for a long time for a start. 1878 have put in more investment in months than previous have done for years, save the enforced change to all seater.

The bounce we are experiencing is not just results - people can see change for better in the BP environment and are responding. And it just takes seconds to choose and book your seat.
This makes me think there is more potential out there - the business case for a new stadium is starting to be made.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 17, 2021, 1:48pm; Reply: 34
I think got the 1980s and 1990s our facilities were relatively decent, even if the Taylor report did for us in capacity and atmosphere. It was a long time ago. Many things have changed in football, the economy and life since then.

The point is, at a comparable point in the first season in this division, we have found 3000 more people to attend. That game in 2010 is a more valid point of comparison both in time, football position and life in general.
Posted by: Vance Warner, September 17, 2021, 8:39pm; Reply: 35
Early 90s attendances we’re really disappointing but it was a time when the price practically doubled. When I started I think it was 6 quid on the Pontoon a couple of years later it was 12. We employed someone at one point to try and increase attendances but I think the best they could come up with was a park and ride scheme that wasn’t really used. The amount of aggro in the 80s and early 90s probably didn’t help attendances either
Posted by: denni266, September 17, 2021, 8:50pm; Reply: 36
I think there is a few reasons why fans have come back  , but for me anything going in to the club, of mine is not going in to someones pention pot,,
Posted by: moosey_club, September 17, 2021, 8:56pm; Reply: 37
Allow me to get splinters up my arris....

Fenty going has helped boost the interest crowd..(personally I can vouch for that)

We havnt lost yet....that helps

The new custodians have listened, treated the fans ..
current old and new with respect...

Old gripes have been tweaked, improved...

Within 5 games this current squad have bonded and shown they appreciate the shirt, the worth and that they could well be part of club history/folklore
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 17, 2021, 9:02pm; Reply: 38
Just through our own stuff, we renewed 4 season tickets because Fenty went. I know several people who haven’t been for years who were there Tuesday and are going tomorrow.

Why? Because they see a team that are trying their best for a club that’s trying their best. Respect for the paying public- didn’t need to be a rocket scientist John.
Posted by: smokey111, September 17, 2021, 9:27pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
If HMRC are allegedly after him and he has no money left will he qualify for income support and a flat in the East Marsh ?  ;D ;D ;D

Imagine him parking his motor down Rutland Street.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 17, 2021, 9:29pm; Reply: 40
Did someone mention football fortune?
Posted by: Vance Warner, September 17, 2021, 10:06pm; Reply: 41
Also interesting to see the number of people asking how to stream the town game at the start of the season. Not having games on iFollow or in more cases IPTV can only help attendances even if it’s annoying for exiles
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 1:43pm