Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: toontown, September 16, 2021, 10:53pm
Numerous people have commented on how different Hurst has been second time around in his interviews. His manner is more upbeat, more relaxed and he just seems happier. Now that's easy to say at the moment as we were winning but it was also true last season when we weren't.

Something else I've noticed is that, in his previous spell, he was often criticised for building up visiting 'minnow' teams to being Barcelona and instilling fear. In his post match interview after Wrexham he almost did the opposite. Saying how Eastleigh are,with all due respect,not a Wrexham or a Stockport and will pose different sort of challenges - code no doubt for parking the bus.

To be fair he was perhaps sometimes trying to get that across in his first spell but was just not as good as communicating it.  And obviously we still need to take them seriously, we're not Barcelona either.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 16, 2021, 11:10pm; Reply: 1
Sounds like a town in southern England.  ::)
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 16, 2021, 11:10pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from toontown
Numerous people have commented on how different Hurst has been second time around in his interviews. His manner is more upbeat, more relaxed and he just seems happier. Now that's easy to say at the moment as we were winning but it was also true last season when we weren't.

Something else I've noticed is that, in his previous spell, he was often criticised for building up visiting 'minnow' teams to being Barcelona and instilling fear. In his post match interview after Wrexham he almost did the opposite. Saying how Eastleigh are,with all due respect,not a Wrexham or a Stockport and will pose different sort of challenges - code no doubt for parking the bus.

To be fair he was perhaps sometimes trying to get that across in his first spell but was just not as good as communicating it.  And obviously we still need to take them seriously, we're not Barcelona either.

Didn't him and Scott fall into management by accident?

When he came here in 2011 it had probably been a whirlwind couple of years and they probably weren't under anything like the Blundell Park spotlight. As his career has progressed, he's probably taken some advice on handling the press but he's also gone on record to state that he's spent some time reconsidering his goals and I genuinely think he feels he's now working under a board that reflects his beliefs much more than ever before.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 16, 2021, 11:12pm; Reply: 3
Think you’re right. He’s more experienced. Matured.
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, September 16, 2021, 11:24pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from toontown

He’s absolutely no different. He’s always been a class act.

Posted by: forza ivano, September 16, 2021, 11:32pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from toontown

i could almost write an essay on this.
there are so many elements - not least the malign influence of Fenty, but i go back to an argument i've made many times before.
when Hurst/Scott took over it was their one big chance to 'make it' as managers, having had success at part time level.
Suddenly Scott fecks up and Hurst is , for the first time in his managerial career, left on his own with a young family, mortgage and bills to pay. He inherits one of the biggest teams in the league, but with a not the biggest budget in the league.
If he'd gone gung-ho he ran the risk of failing and being sacked within a few months. The consequences of this for him would be immense. No full time managerial career and the problem of paying the mortgage, billls etc etc
in view of this i think he deliberately  went safety first - with the budget he had, he could get generally competent players and if he played the safety first route he'd probably gain points in the majority of games. The longer he did this the more secure he became and the more his stock rose. And so it came to pass - every year the play offs and/or Trophy run and a modicum of improvement.
Within a couple of year he's got a bit of security (& remember at this time he was putting his daughter through uni - think i'm right in this??) and people are talking about him as the 'go-to non league manager'.
incidenatlly i can see why he hated Operation Promotion - too much unnecessary pressure , leaving him with massive potential to fail.
anyway the rest is history - we make it - he takes the first opportunity to take flight and does a brill job at Shrewsbury with more money and  a decent contract
Then he hits the jackpot - Ipshit come a calling - yeah, he gets sacked within 3 months, but with the pay off he's made for life - mortgage is paid, kids are put through uni and he's sitting pretty. Scunts is a basket case but it's extra 'bunce' .
Now he's 1878's man - they're owners who believe in him, and most importantly, are the antitheses of Fenty .they back him with cash but don't interfere. He's not afraid to fail, coz he's made for life, plus he's he's got 100 (?) games at a much higher level. Relatively speaking this is a walk in the park.
Argued like that , no wonder he's relaxed and the beauty is we've struck lucky - we've go the benefit of his experience and contacts and he's relaxed enough to let out the reins and let the players play. Long may it continue
Posted by: Bawmariner, September 17, 2021, 12:03am; Reply: 6
Quoted from forza ivano

i could almost write an essay on this.
there are so many elements - not least the malign influence of Fenty, but i go back to an argument i've made many times before.
when Hurst/Scott took over it was their one big chance to 'make it' as managers, having had success at part time level.
Suddenly Scott fecks up and Hurst is , for the first time in his managerial career, left on his own with a young family, mortgage and bills to pay. He inherits one of the biggest teams in the league, but with a not the biggest budget in the league.
If he'd gone gung-ho he ran the risk of failing and being sacked within a few months. The consequences of this for him would be immense. No full time managerial career and the problem of paying the mortgage, billls etc etc
in view of this i think he deliberately  went safety first - with the budget he had, he could get generally competent players and if he played the safety first route he'd probably gain points in the majority of games. The longer he did this the more secure he became and the more his stock rose. And so it came to pass - every year the play offs and/or Trophy run and a modicum of improvement.
Within a couple of year he's got a bit of security (& remember at this time he was putting his daughter through uni - think i'm right in this??) and people are talking about him as the 'go-to non league manager'.
incidenatlly i can see why he hated Operation Promotion - too much unnecessary pressure , leaving him with massive potential to fail.
anyway the rest is history - we make it - he takes the first opportunity to take flight and does a brill job at Shrewsbury with more money and  a decent contract
Then he hits the jackpot - Ipshit come a calling - yeah, he gets sacked within 3 months, but with the pay off he's made for life - mortgage is paid, kids are put through uni and he's sitting pretty. Scunts is a basket case but it's extra 'bunce' .
Now he's 1878's man - they're owners who believe in him, and most importantly, are the antitheses of Fenty .they back him with cash but don't interfere. He's not afraid to fail, coz he's made for life, plus he's he's got 100 (?) games at a much higher level. Relatively speaking this is a walk in the park.
Argued like that , no wonder he's relaxed and the beauty is we've struck lucky - we've go the benefit of his experience and contacts and he's relaxed enough to let out the reins and let the players play. Long may it continue

I think you are spot on here. Yes he's more experienced now but he's also in a completely different part of his life. If things hadn't worked out at town the first time around he would have had to completely reevaluate is career. I doubt he was bad off from his playing days but he was still only 37 when he joined and trying to figure out what he'd do with next 30 years of his life. Since then he's had some success, proven he can manage and probably made a decent amount of money in the process. If the town job didn't go to plan he could likely find another job easily but also wouldn't be under as much pressure to find one. I think its easy to forget that footballers are human and generally have a more volatile career than most.
Posted by: forza ivano, September 17, 2021, 6:58am; Reply: 7
V good point.the gtfc solo job was his 1 big chance.if he fecked up then hed probably never get another full time job in football.thats why, I'm convinced  that he played the percentage football.with one of the bigger budgets and a full time squad he had a decent chance of winning the majority of games.playing expansive football was more likely to lead to failure than his safety first approach
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, September 17, 2021, 7:56am; Reply: 8
The so called bigging up of small teams in pre-match interviews has always had two aims in my opinion - the first is he knows that the opposing manager is likely to watch that pre-match interview and therefore doesn't want to give them ammunition to fire up their own players by coming across as arrogant/dismissive of the opponent. The other reason is to try to reduce the chance of complacency amongst the players. Basically its always been a pretty smart thing to do do, and I don't know why some of our fans have got their knickers in a twist over it.

The other main critiicism has always been the "parslow" substitution. The truth is that nearly all managers make this kind of substitution on a regular basis (at the height of his powers Mouriniho was famous for going 2-0 and then shutting up shop). 9 times out of 10 it works, but when it doesn't people with an axe to grind just go on and on about it.
Posted by: buckstown, September 17, 2021, 8:15am; Reply: 9
Never forget that we spend a large chunk of our lives at work and the person you work for has a massive impact on your life, outlook and attitudes. PH is currently working for one of the best leaders in the country so his demeanour is bound to be very comfortable
Add that to the points others have made regarding financial security, stage of his career etc. and he's effectively a different person
Regarding the opposition there's barely a manager who slags off upcoming opposition to the media, it's just not the done thing. Show respect in front of cameras but slag em off behind closed doors!!
Posted by: Zmariner, September 17, 2021, 8:34am; Reply: 10
Quoted from Fillipe Noche

He’s absolutely no different. He’s always been a class act.

This season you cannot see a great change because all is going well but his demeanour last season when we were in a real mess was so different to his first tenure here. Age, experience and probably an awful lot more in the bank but in any career where you make progressions you would expect to see changes.

I agree with the rest on here he is different. I am sure you often post a contrary opinion for devilment utm
Posted by: chipsandgravy, September 17, 2021, 8:57am; Reply: 11
I would be happier and more relaxed working for his new employers. He must feel good at being part of whats happening at the club like the rest of us.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 17, 2021, 9:11am; Reply: 12
Quoted from buckstown
Never forget that we spend a large chunk of our lives at work and the person you work for has a massive impact on your life, outlook and attitudes. PH is currently working for one of the best leaders in the country so his demeanour is bound to be very comfortable
Add that to the points others have made regarding financial security, stage of his career etc. and he's effectively a different person
Regarding the opposition there's barely a manager who slags off upcoming opposition to the media, it's just not the done thing. Show respect in front of cameras but slag em off behind closed doors!!

Quite literally poking the hornets nest with that comment.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, September 17, 2021, 9:12am; Reply: 13
Everything is coming together at the club in the right way at the right time.  We deserve this after
everything that we have had to put up with for many years.

Bad or unsuitable owners pick bad managers.  In turn, they buy bad players, then have the wrong tactics and any half-decent players are left out the team.  We have been there in recent seasons, especially last season.

Now we seem to be in the completely opposite position in every way. There is an energy, excitement and expectation about the club and fans that something special is happening.  Long may it continue.

I would never have thought last season that a year later fans would be complaining that they cannot get a ticket for a league game!  Because the home stands are full.

Posted by: RonMariner, September 17, 2021, 10:24am; Reply: 14
Can't imagine anyone could have done a much better job of putting a squad together this season. It's not like we have been splashing the cash on £200k plus players.
Posted by: devs, September 17, 2021, 11:54am; Reply: 15
PH is more content, relaxed, mature, knowledgeable
Huge bonus is new owners/board/CEO/optimism around the place etc

He has probably learned so much more about coaching/managing and wants to bring a more exciting brand of fotty to his teams?

He may also feel the game has moved on at this level and you do need a pacy, attacking team to win the league?

Whatever - he is way more relaxed and was when he took over last season

Always liked and rated PH - decent, honest man as well as very good lower league footy manager
Hugely respected in the game
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 17, 2021, 12:18pm; Reply: 16
I didn’t particularly want him back but I’ll happily eat my words if this form carries on , like others have said he seems really different this time round and I like it
Posted by: RichMariner, September 17, 2021, 12:33pm; Reply: 17
There's no single reason, as we've pointed out in this thread, but for me the key one is the people he works for.

Never underestimate the effect that has on your work life. I've worked at a few different places but the ones I've enjoyed most are the places that trust me and don't micromanage me. Can't speak on behalf of everyone but that definitely gets the best out of me.

I'm treated like the expert in my field. I've got support when I need it but otherwise I'm left to do things the way I think they should be done, and that's incredibly liberating.

It changes your outlook on working life. Imagine that culture spreading through the corridors of BP, through the training ground, youth team, sports and education trust...

JS and AP, along with Debbie, have started something here and it's snowballed. Culture is an intangible thing; you can't hold it, and it's difficult to measure and understand, but it's probably the most important thing because of what it unlocks.

Does an improved culture win you 3 points on a Saturday? It could win you new fans, bigger crowds, better players, promotion, respect within the game and potentially improve the whole town and its communities.

Hurst is probably loving life because he feels comfortable and unthreatened. He's in charge, he's making the big calls on the football side of things. He knows his role in this. We're getting the best out of Paul Hurst. Ipswich and Scunny could have never made that happen.

Hurst is a very, very good manager at this level and our culture is allowing him to reach his potential. The same can be said of the players, because of Hurst's influence. This culture is infectious - we can all feel it (and I'm 70 miles away having not been to a game since March 2020).
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, September 17, 2021, 12:37pm; Reply: 18
I think the fanbase has changed too, I think the fanbase of 2010 was angry, tired, divided and depressed, and though I dont blame the fans for any of it whatsoever, we probably needed telling when rob scott famously ranted 'this isnt 10 years ago', I think by the time 2016 came around this fanbase had grown and evolved into a strong central community ready for a club to take a new place in modern football, knowing what our roles as fans could be and the potential to make a difference we had, we'd accepted where we were, the challenge we had, and that things had to change before we could build on them, unfortunately the previous owner was just completely blind to all that and our time back in the football league was a bit of a waste, but now I think its all coming together and the potential that was there in this club, to be a modern club fit for the world of modern football and not one of the old guard clubs hanging on and being overtaken by new small enterprising clubs working their way up the leagues
Posted by: RonMariner, September 17, 2021, 12:38pm; Reply: 19
It is clear why he left last time. Crap training facilities, penny pinching owner, a board with no vision and no ambition. Why would any up and coming manager stay? The mishandling of the Amond situation must have rankled too.

New regime now. Committed to doing things properly on and off the pitch. I thought we would end up with a competitive squad of disciplined, committed and skillful players. I just never imagined it would happen so soon. This is where I hoped we would be in a year's time.
Posted by: acko338, September 17, 2021, 12:53pm; Reply: 20
The new culture talked about will reap benefits over a period of time, not overnight.

Food facilities, pitch upgrades, pro back room staff additions, more professional set for the training ground - these are all mainly unseen by punters, but are essential for players to be attracted.

As they improve further, we can hopefully attract more youth players who can come through the system, bring higher quality loans in when needed, and also bring the club to the attention of managers and players further up the league ladders.

A good start thus far this season, crowds up, good open attacking play, players who are fully appreciated by the fans for skills and efforts - all looking good !

All emenating from 2 proper like minded businessmen with a properly set out action plan, a true love of the club, and happy to promote the club away from this region - Guardian articles, Robertson's news articles - all good.

And.. possibly the best for fans... the videos of team spirit, good quality positive interviews... and a manager who has acquired a sense of humour to go with his information when being interviewed !

We are told it's OUR club - the proof is now out there in many media formats now, along with the new matchday experiences on offer !
Posted by: RichMariner, September 17, 2021, 1:52pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from acko338
As they improve further, we can hopefully attract more youth players who can come through the system, bring higher quality loans in when needed, and also bring the club to the attention of managers and players further up the league ladders.

This is a great point. You look at someone like Alex Hunt. Footballers, managers and chief execs talk. Soon we'll be a club that other teams want to loan their best prospects to — not just because they'll get played, but because they'll get looked after (which is just as important).

I look at players like Ryan Taylor who, you know, has played for a fair few clubs, moved around the country... but wouldn't it be great if we could make his twilight years in football some of his best? He looked like he enjoyed scoring his two goals, and I'd love it if, upon retiring, he looks back and says 'I had a great career and had some great times at Portsmouth and Plymouth but, actually, my highlights were at Grimsby'.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 17, 2021, 2:15pm; Reply: 22
I think for me I’ve noticed Hurst seems different but I think people also remember the negative bits rather than some of the positives. I may be a bit cynical but the difference could be that last time it felt like he has a lot to prove at this level and now he’s proven as he took us up.

I think the club by its own admission still has a lot to do but the culture and feel is already very different and that rubs off on all involved. Hurst will be feeling good as we’ve had a good start for once but more importantly he’s being trusted and backed by the owners, that as we all recall was one of the reasons cited for his departure last time.

Also when the manager is relaxed and confident that has a massive impact on the playing squad. Looking at some of the players he’s brought in it feels like we’ve gone up a level already from the way we started the promotion season and again that would put any manager in a good place.
Posted by: Poojah, September 17, 2021, 2:26pm; Reply: 23
I think one thing that might have been overlooked slightly is the realisation between Hurst and the fans, that it wasn’t each other that were the problem, but rather someone else.

There appears to be a newfound mutual respect as it begins to dawn on both parties that, actually, you’re alright…
Posted by: exiledmeggie, September 17, 2021, 2:37pm; Reply: 24
I have to be honest, PH was not my man to ...

Now, I can see through my wrong thinking!
Posted by: RonMariner, September 17, 2021, 3:40pm; Reply: 25
Great to see him on the pitch fist pumping on Tuesday night. He is clearly happy here and we are glad to have him.
Posted by: fishcake63, September 17, 2021, 7:29pm; Reply: 26
If we win tomorrow & it's  not a gimme i will start to believe i really will but got to admit i'm nervous as ell it will go t-ts up for us , can we better tuesday evening best i'v seen us in first 45 mins for years & the ground bouncing was a sight to behold UTM
Posted by: RonMariner, September 17, 2021, 7:34pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from fishcake63
If we win tomorrow & it's  not a gimme i will start to believe i really will but got to admit i'm nervous as ell it will go t-ts up for us , can we better tuesday evening best i'v seen us in first 45 mins for years & the ground bouncing was a sight to behold UTM

I think we have all been conditioned by years of failure to fear the worst. As soon as we went behind at Torquay I thought , well that's it then, game over. Because for years it would have been.

But I am slowly beginning to realise that this team is different. They never give up. The heads don't drop like they used to the minute we concede. The self belief they have is amazing.

Great to see, and slowly our mind set will start moving in a more optimistic direction too.  
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 18, 2021, 1:08am; Reply: 28
I really thought it was business as usual went Barnet went 3-1 up. Glad I was wrong. A fight back like that, gives me hope we will score. There’s goals in that thar team.

But we haven’t played a ‘park the bus’ type team yet.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, September 18, 2021, 1:22am; Reply: 29
Quoted from Poojah
I think one thing that might have been overlooked slightly is the realisation between Hurst and the fans, that it wasn’t each other that were the problem, but rather someone else.

There appears to be a newfound mutual respect as it begins to dawn on both parties that, actually, you’re alright…

This in spades. PH now clearly appreciates just what he has in a fanbase that will back his team to the hilt and they`re not the enemy after all . Likewise the fanbase have realised that the best Manager since Buckley actually worked miracles getting promoted with he who shall not be named holding the purse strings.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, September 18, 2021, 9:33am; Reply: 30
The other thing worth recognising is that we are playing some fantastic, attractive football as well. That Taylor goal on Tuesday was a Buckley-esque thing of beauty and for all that Efete is raw it is so good seeing him charging forward to support and even overlap Sousa. Then genuine quality on the ball with McAtee and Hunt too. Hurst had a somewhat unfair reputation for dour, pragmatic football in his first spell but I don't think anybody could claim that at the moment.
Posted by: rancido, September 18, 2021, 10:50am; Reply: 31
I prefer the expression 'evolved Hurst' as opposed to 'new '. We all change or evolve over time especially in our younger days. Many of us had a different approach to life in our late 30's than we did in our early 20's. Marriage , various careers/workplaces and life experiences all contribute to a different perspective on our lives and attitudes. Town was Hursts first 'big ' chance in football ,with diffent demands and expectations to what had gone on before. Shouty leaves the scene and PH is flying solo. He achieves his prime objective by getting us back into the FL and then sees The Leech in his true colours. He goes to Shrewsbury and performs a minor miracle in keeping them up plus he sees how things are done at a "professional club ". The opportunity at Ipswich is one not to miss ( similar to AB going to WBA ) but maybe a step too far ,too soon. His sacking from Ipswich will have given him time for reflection on his career . Follow this with an appointment and subsequent sacking from Scumthorpe ,almost certainly due to another ' controlling ,power mad owner ' which brings us to the PH who we now have. More worldly wise in the cut throat world of professional football , with the experience and ability to build on that.
Posted by: mariner91, September 18, 2021, 11:08am; Reply: 32
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I really thought it was business as usual went Barnet went 3-1 up. Glad I was wrong. A fight back like that, gives me hope we will score. There’s goals in that thar team.

But we haven’t played a ‘park the bus’ type team yet.

Haven’t we? Weymouth didn’t seem particularly fussed about attacking us other than a five minute spell just before we scored.

And although we struggled a bit I think that was mainly cause we played a really narrow system which didn’t work. Playing like we have in the last few games, I think we’d still create chances.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 18, 2021, 12:42pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from mariner91

Haven’t we? Weymouth didn’t seem particularly fussed about attacking us other than a five minute spell just before we scored.

And although we struggled a bit I think that was mainly cause we played a really narrow system which didn’t work. Playing like we have in the last few games, I think we’d still create chances.

Ah, when you’re relying on John Tondeur to know what’s happening, you do get the impression that Town’s goal is under constant threat. That’s my excuse anyway.
Posted by: mariner91, September 18, 2021, 1:15pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Ah, when you’re relying on John Tondeur to know what’s happening, you do get the impression that Town’s goal is under constant threat. That’s my excuse anyway.

“Half cleared”. I love John but you would think we were under siege every game listening to him. Weymouth spent most of the first half with 10 men behind the ball deep in their own half. But we overcame it, and we’ve got better since then! I’m optimistic.
Posted by: Kris2, September 18, 2021, 1:27pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from rancido
I prefer the expression 'evolved Hurst' as opposed to 'new '. We all change or evolve over time especially in our younger days. Many of us had a different approach to life in our late 30's than we did in our early 20's. Marriage , various careers/workplaces and life experiences all contribute to a different perspective on our lives and attitudes. Town was Hursts first 'big ' chance in football ,with diffent demands and expectations to what had gone on before. Shouty leaves the scene and PH is flying solo. He achieves his prime objective by getting us back into the FL and then sees The Leech in his true colours. He goes to Shrewsbury and performs a minor miracle in keeping them up plus he sees how things are done at a "professional club ". The opportunity at Ipswich is one not to miss ( similar to AB going to WBA ) but maybe a step too far ,too soon. His sacking from Ipswich will have given him time for reflection on his career . Follow this with an appointment and subsequent sacking from Scumthorpe ,almost certainly due to another ' controlling ,power mad owner ' which brings us to the PH who we now have. More worldly wise in the cut throat world of professional football , with the experience and ability to build on that.

I really think Hurst wouldn't have come back without meeting the perspective new owners first and hearing their vision for the club. He was regularly frustrated in his last spell at not having the things we needed to move forward and the lack of ambition for anything other than a new stadium project because they desperately wanted to leave their mark on the town for Fenty's political ambitions. Who wouldn't be frustrated at being told you can't upgrade the training facilities or the basic things players need don't happen because all the money is being wasted on pursuing a new stadium. First thing the new owners have focused on is improving training facilities for the team and improving the matchday experience for fans to bring them back into the fold.

I think Hurst is much more positive because he's being properly backed and listened to.
Print page generated: April 18, 2024, 9:53am