Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, September 16, 2021, 8:10pm
Playing as we are, we could be destined for a good FAC run.  Anything like Lincoln’s would bring joy, glory, money and kickstart our progress.

We have the team and the fans.  Nobody would expect anything from a NL Club.  Certainly not good football, teamwork and individual skill.

Lincoln’ opponents underestimated them and played weakened sides. If we did progress, they might play kids against us as we are a lower league team. They might be in for a shock.  Who knows.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 16, 2021, 8:19pm; Reply: 1
We should be looking to win it
Posted by: Tommy, September 16, 2021, 8:23pm; Reply: 2
FA Cup run? Yes please.
FA Trophy run? No thanks.
Posted by: Hagrid, September 16, 2021, 8:25pm; Reply: 3
Well we know Hursty likes the Trophy
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, September 16, 2021, 8:26pm; Reply: 4
FA Trophy is good for the fringe players
Posted by: Gaffer58, September 16, 2021, 9:22pm; Reply: 5
FA Cup is nice if you make the 3rd round and get a very good draw ( Man U away), the trophy for us this season is a complete waste, games played on Saturdays, so league games moved, additional games, not required, this season everything has to be into the league, basically finishing top to avoid the playoff gamble.
Posted by: LH, September 16, 2021, 9:45pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Abdul19
We should be looking to win it

This. We want more European nights like we had on Tuesday.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 16, 2021, 9:59pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Gaffer58
FA Cup is nice if you make the 3rd round and get a very good draw ( Man U away), the trophy for us this season is a complete waste, games played on Saturdays, so league games moved, additional games, not required, this season everything has to be into the league, basically finishing top to avoid the playoff gamble.

Winning cup games keeps that winning mentality.

If we don't go up this season do we sack the cup off next year too? And the year after?

In the FA Cup especially, you can earn an absolute fortune if you progress far enough or draw the right team in Round 3.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 16, 2021, 10:11pm; Reply: 8
If we got to the 3rd round that would be a good piece of progress.

In terms of a dream draw I think you get a better cut of the gate so if a club our size got a top team away that would in my mind be better than packing out BP.

Re the trophy it would be nice to go to a Wembley final as I’m sure if we’d already won promotion we’d surely p1ss it …….. wouldn’t we? 🤦‍♂️
Posted by: ginnywings, September 16, 2021, 10:16pm; Reply: 9
First team for the F.A. Cup, Fringe players for the Trophy.

Would love a good F.A. Cup run. Could earn enough to clear all the historic debt if we are lucky.

Apart from the excitement of it.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 16, 2021, 10:17pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from HertsGTFC
If we got to the 3rd round that would be a good piece of progress.

In terms of a dream draw I think you get a better cut of the gate so if a club our size got a top team away that would in my mind be better than packing out BP.

Re the trophy it would be nice to go to a Wembley final as I’m sure if we’d already won promotion we’d surely p1ss it …….. wouldn’t we? 🤦‍♂️

Didn't Lincoln earn £2m from their run to the 5th round?

An away game at Man Utd would almost certainly be on TV because Utd always are and probably bring in close to £1m alone.

The mentality of sacking off the FA Cup is both foolish and arrogant in my opinion.
Posted by: toontown, September 16, 2021, 10:26pm; Reply: 11
Yeah,for the trophy play some of the fringe players we haven't seen all that much of crocombe, sears, whoever has  played least of the central defenders, the young central defence lad, revan, spokes  bapaga, the teenage striker etc. Let's see what their made of in the trophy. Let them try and prove they deserve to be in the squad. They must be chomping at the bit if they have anything about them so let's see what they can do. And give a break to the more mature players and keep them away from unnecessary injury risk.

A couple of them might give Hurst a selection headache (in a good way) if they play really well.
Posted by: SouthLakesMariner, September 16, 2021, 11:25pm; Reply: 12
                   Crocombe
Sears  Pearson  Longe-King  Revan
    Wright  Fox  Spokes  Scannell
                      Grant
                        LJL

If all fit, this is a team capable of making serious progress in the trophy without using a single starter from the team that’s performed so well in the last couple of games. Shows what a strong squad PH has assembled.

Posted by: forza ivano, September 16, 2021, 11:43pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from SouthLakesMariner
                   Crocombe
                      Grant
                        LJL

If all fit, this is a team capable of making serious progress in the trophy without using a single starter from the team that’s performed so well in the last couple of games. Shows what a strong squad PH has assembled.

no Khouri,Spokes, Essel or Bapagba?? (which just goes to prove your point)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 17, 2021, 12:31am; Reply: 14
If I remember correctly from last time, Hurst did play fringe players in the early rounds of the Trophy and beefed the team up as we progressed through the rounds. I’d expect that strategy won’t change.
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, September 17, 2021, 12:33am; Reply: 15
Boys/girls - all calm down
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, September 17, 2021, 12:36am; Reply: 16
does trophy money end up paying fenty off faster? (like how Pollock's transfer cash has)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 17, 2021, 12:47am; Reply: 17
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
does trophy money end up paying fenty off faster? (like how Pollock's transfer cash has)

I dunno but I hope we pay him in pennies.
Posted by: DB, September 17, 2021, 5:20am; Reply: 18
Quoted from Southwark Mariner

As I pointed out in another thread, we don't know what else is in the woodwork waiting to come out! It wouldn't surprise me if all cup money went to him. ??)

Posted by: DB, September 17, 2021, 5:28am; Reply: 19
I do like the thought of a good cup run especially if you get to the stage when the prem teams are involved. I do think though that our concentration this season should be promotion and cup matches as a second stream regardless of their income. Injuries to the first team squad trying for utopia would not be an ideal situation.

Mid table in L1 or L2 go for it but not now.
Posted by: aldi_01, September 17, 2021, 5:57am; Reply: 20
With more stuff likely to come out, ya know, like the missing 400k and so forth I wouldn’t worry about Fenty getting all that money anyway…

Hurst will give the trophy and fa cup a go I think. He did last time, we didn’t play our first team last time in the trophy and still progressed to the final a couple of times.

The FA cup can generate some much appreciated refund assuming you get a good draw. I still want Hull City away but I wouldn’t be sad if we got a big club haha…
Posted by: Hagrid, September 17, 2021, 9:13am; Reply: 21
dont think the trophy money is very good anyway, even if you win it
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 17, 2021, 10:19am; Reply: 22
Would love to get to the third Round of the fa cup, palace away on a Saturday evening taking 5k unbelievable support.
Posted by: grimps, September 17, 2021, 10:40am; Reply: 23
Hull away and Tottenham away have always been the two I’ve wanted , obviously United away would be a great pay day
Posted by: RonMariner, September 17, 2021, 10:42am; Reply: 24
A Trophy final might be our only Wembley trip this season because, as Champions, we won't be in the play offs.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 17, 2021, 12:07pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Would love to get to the third Round of the fa cup, palace away on a Saturday evening taking 5k unbelievable support.

You know, I reckon that had a big part to play in galvanising the consortium in the takeover. ‘Look at the potential here!’. I think Shutes was already ‘tyre kicking’ at the time but I wonder if it gave JS and AP that confidence to sign up.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 17, 2021, 12:12pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from KingstonMariner

You know, I reckon that had a big part to play in galvanising the consortium in the takeover. ‘Look at the potential here!’. I think Shutes was already ‘tyre kicking’ at the time but I wonder if it gave JS and AP that confidence to sign up.

Possibly so … now let’s open the osmond and push for 8k gates  
Posted by: Brazilnut, September 17, 2021, 4:42pm; Reply: 27
Let's just get to first round.......a home tie against a decentish league side could get a TV game ........that is extra in coffers  .......we make cracking atmosphere and they may come back in round 2
Posted by: wigworld, September 17, 2021, 6:27pm; Reply: 28
We shouldn't write off the trophy. We might draw a massive team like Wrexham away! ;)
Posted by: Teestogreen, September 17, 2021, 6:27pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from SouthLakesMariner
                   Crocombe
                      Grant
                        LJL

That team (when fit) can give the A team a very competitive game 🤙
UTM

Posted by: barrattstandman, September 17, 2021, 6:31pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Gaffer58

But Lincoln did it !
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 11:45pm