Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 30, 2021, 9:38pm

He doesn't seem to be having much luck with injuries these days does he, looks like he could be out for a while.
Posted by: Ruston AT, July 30, 2021, 9:50pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from promotion plaice

He doesn't seem to be having much luck with injuries these days does he, looks like he could be out for a while.

Time to move him on, are we continuing with him for monetary reasons?
Posted by: fishboyUTM, July 30, 2021, 9:59pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Ruston AT

Time to move him on, are we continuing with him for monetary reasons?

I think so, he's shown flashes of quality but his body let him down pretty much all season last year. He'd had injury problems before joining us and I'm sure that will continue I'm afraid. He'll be a big earner, wrong side of 30. Not good, but if there isn't value in paying him up then keep him around but expect him to be less than match fit or on the treatment table until his contract expires. Hope I'm wrong as it isn't the lads fault and I feel for him.
Posted by: immariner, July 31, 2021, 12:12am; Reply: 3
Quoted from fishboyUTM

I think so, he's shown flashes of quality but his body let him down pretty much all season last year. He'd had injury problems before joining us and I'm sure that will continue I'm afraid. He'll be a big earner, wrong side of 30. Not good, but if there isn't value in paying him up then keep him around but expect him to be less than match fit or on the treatment table until his contract expires. Hope I'm wrong as it isn't the lads fault and I feel for him.

Be interested to know what our highest earners will be on. Imagine Scannell is on about £50k.
Posted by: LH, July 31, 2021, 12:15am; Reply: 4
The top earner is on over £100kpa. Scannell will be closer to that than £50k you’d think. Potentially one of the best players in the division but fitness is always going to be an issue.
Posted by: livosnose, July 31, 2021, 6:29am; Reply: 5
I read that he’s on 600 per week .
Posted by: DB, July 31, 2021, 6:54am; Reply: 6
Quoted from LH
The top earner is on over £100kpa. Scannell will be closer to that than £50k you’d think. Potentially one of the best players in the division but fitness is always going to be an issue.

He gets paid to use that potential but unfortunately, I didn't see much of it last season and, following last night, we might not see him on the pitch for a few weeks.

Posted by: Abdul19, July 31, 2021, 7:23am; Reply: 7
Incredible that Fenty wouldn't give Vernam another year at £x but 2 months later gives Scannell 2 years at probably £x + a bit.*

*complete guess
Posted by: fishboyUTM, July 31, 2021, 7:31am; Reply: 8
Quoted from Abdul19
Incredible that Fenty wouldn't give Vernam another year at £x but 2 months later gives Scannell 2 years at probably £x + a bit.*

*complete guess

That's why we're away at some club I've forgotten the name of in the first game of the season.
Posted by: golfer, July 31, 2021, 7:38am; Reply: 9
Quoted from livosnose
I read that he’s on 600 per week .

Doubt if any of our players only get that - my grandkids get more in pocket money.
Posted by: somersetmariner, July 31, 2021, 8:02am; Reply: 10
I don’t know why we have these kind of players in our squad. Wrong side of 30 and injury prone. Not worth it. Should never have given him a long contract.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 31, 2021, 8:11am; Reply: 11
I'm starting to wonder if we signed him without a medical or Runaway ignored any warnings from the medical so we can't get rid of him because he won't pass a medical anywhere and nobody will pay him whatever we are paying him.

I remember when we released Pearson to replace him with Nathan Clarke. We let Vernam leave for free due to budget cuts and replaced him with a man constructed of glass who is probably earning more than Vernam was!
Posted by: aldi_01, July 31, 2021, 9:50am; Reply: 12
I think Scannell is a great example of the state of the club prior to this season…

There’s no way in gods green earth Scannell secures a contract like his anywhere else with his injury problems.

Couple that with intercourse all to suggests he’s what we need and it’s a hangover from a failed regime and flipping moron manager…

Injuries or not, I can’t be the only one that looks at Scannell and thinks ‘you may be decent but you don’t seem arsed either’…
Posted by: LondonMariner43, July 31, 2021, 10:09am; Reply: 13
Not too worried about Scannell but I am worried about Hurst saying there are 8-9 injuries.  Hopefully they are mostly minor knocks
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, July 31, 2021, 10:16am; Reply: 14
It's not just the injuries with him either, he started last season out of favour for other reasons that Holloway wouldn't talk about, that suggests an attitude problem too. I'd love to see him play to close to his ability levels but unfortunately I don't reckon I will get to.

Like most I was surprised Hurst didn't bin him off with the others.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 31, 2021, 10:30am; Reply: 15
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
It's not just the injuries with him either, he started last season out of favour for other reasons that Holloway wouldn't talk about, that suggests an attitude problem too. I'd love to see him play to close to his ability levels but unfortunately I don't reckon I will get to.

Like most I was surprised Hurst didn't bin him off with the others.

I might be wrong but I think Runaway eventually said that fall out was because he wasn't entirely truthful about carrying an injury.
Posted by: Bigdog, July 31, 2021, 11:01am; Reply: 16
Well we've found our current fall guy haven't we? From memory, Scannell looked quality in his first few games for us before getting injured. You all say in Hurst we trust, yet you don't trust him with Scannell. Scannell looked extremely fit in the pre-season training videos, and anyone can tell you that has played league seasons of 46 games, injured players work harder than those that stay fit, they have to to get back to being match ready. Some players are lucky throughout their careers with injuries and some aren't. If Scannell was one of the lucky ones, he wouldn't be here, he'd be playing at a higher level. I may be in the minority, but I feel for the bloke, and people who casually want him "binned off" are showing him a great deal of disrespect on a human and professional level..
Posted by: pontoonlew, July 31, 2021, 11:18am; Reply: 17
Quoted from Bigdog
Well we've found our current fall guy haven't we? From memory, Scannell looked quality in his first few games for us before getting injured. You all say in Hurst we trust, yet you don't trust him with Scannell. Scannell looked extremely fit in the pre-season training videos, and anyone can tell you that has played league seasons of 46 games, injured players work harder than those that stay fit, they have to to get back to being match ready. Some players are lucky throughout their careers with injuries and some aren't. If Scannell was one of the lucky ones, he wouldn't be here, he'd be playing at a higher level. I may be in the minority, but I feel for the bloke, and people who casually want him "binned off" are showing him a great deal of disrespect on a human and professional level..

Spot on, fans like to slate Scannells performances despite the fact he only played 11 times last season and put in a decent performance in almost all of them. A couple of them he was our stand out player, especially in his last start at home to Exeter.

A fit Sean Scannell would tear up this league and I think it’s a risk worth taking to keep him.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 31, 2021, 12:04pm; Reply: 18
I don’t know all the causes but the injuries last night might be a wake up for the management about footwear on artificial pitches and the need to play stand up football.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, July 31, 2021, 12:18pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from LH

How do you know for sure what the salaries are?

One thing to point out is I’m sure he doesn’t get injured on purpose and he’ll be more frustrated and disappointed than anyone who can post on here.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, July 31, 2021, 1:51pm; Reply: 20
Hurst, in his post match interview said that Scannell heard something 'pop'. By the looks of the photo of him being carried off by our 'B team' medical team, if his achilles has gone, he could be out for the season
Posted by: moosey_club, July 31, 2021, 6:55pm; Reply: 21
"Scans" is probably the most appropriate player nickname we have had for a long time.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, July 31, 2021, 7:01pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from moosey_club
"Scans" is probably the most appropriate player nickname we have had for a long time.

That's true
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, August 1, 2021, 10:52am; Reply: 23
I don’t know what the problem is for Scannell but the sheer number of injuries is worrisome. We now have the medical/training/physio/fitness team the Hurst wanted. We have much better facilities too. I am a great fan of Dave Moore as well. But to get so many injuries especially in training (Scannell’s latest excepted) and easy friendlies is a cause for concern surely. Have they got these personal fitness programmes right?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 1, 2021, 11:08am; Reply: 24
I don’t know what the problem is for Scannell but the sheer number of injuries is worrisome. We now have the medical/training/physio/fitness team the Hurst wanted. We have much better facilities too. I am a great fan of Dave Moore as well. But to get so many injuries especially in training (Scannell’s latest excepted) and easy friendlies is a cause for concern surely. Have they got these personal fitness programmes right?

Scannell came with a track record of getting injured putting his boots on.

I know he's been cast to one side but George Williams came here on the back of troublesome injuries and we've probably only been able to sign Ben Fox due to his recent injury. Max Wright has had a tough time with injuries since he did a full season for Boston.

It's possible that LJL has overdone the weights as he looked absolutely ripped and Taylor has a recurrence of a previous hamstring injury.

Some players are more prone than others and some long-term injuries are just freak occurrences. It's not really a surprise that Scannell is injured again but Wright still seems to be fit, Fox is fit.

I would be more concerned if people like Clifton and Coke were going down with bad injuries rather than those that you half expect to get injured.

Posted by: denni266, August 1, 2021, 6:19pm; Reply: 25
Cant see why clubs take these chances with injury prone players .. Wouldnt buy a car that was alwase needing fixing
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 1, 2021, 6:56pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Scannell came with a track record of getting injured putting his boots on.

I know he's been cast to one side but George Williams came here on the back of troublesome injuries and we've probably only been able to sign Ben Fox due to his recent injury. Max Wright has had a tough time with injuries since he did a full season for Boston.

It's possible that LJL has overdone the weights as he looked absolutely ripped and Taylor has a recurrence of a previous hamstring injury.

Some players are more prone than others and some long-term injuries are just freak occurrences. It's not really a surprise that Scannell is injured again but Wright still seems to be fit, Fox is fit.

I would be more concerned if people like Clifton and Coke were going down with bad injuries rather than those that you half expect to get injured.

I think it is to be expected to have players injured when we keep signing players that have had significant time out with bad injuries.

As for Coke I would expect him to spend a significant time on the table as he has only played 50 games in the last 8 seasons.
Posted by: buckstown, August 1, 2021, 6:58pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from denni266
Cant see why clubs take these chances with injury prone players .. Wouldnt buy a car that was alwase needing fixing

Think that's a really good point but like dodgy cars they're cheaper than normal. Gives teams like us a chance to take a shot on real quality (hopefully Fox) or just save money which the previous regime was rather keen on
Posted by: Hagrid, August 1, 2021, 7:22pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from arryarryarry

I think it is to be expected to have players injured when we keep signing players that have had significant time out with bad injuries.

As for Coke I would expect him to spend a significant time on the table as he has only played 50 games in the last 8 seasons.

I hope not. Think he’s vital for us
Posted by: Kris2, August 1, 2021, 8:32pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from denni266

Some players are able to come back from bad injuries and have a decent career. Most of the time clubs are probably hoping they can get enough games out of them to get some value on their quality before they break down again, like these people who buy classic cars that need fixing up to say they have it even if they end up spending more time working on it than driving it.

We took a chance on Michael Reddy who we never would have had a chance of signing if he didn't suffer so many injury setbacks. He was valued at 5 million just 3 years before we signed him for free. We got one good season out of him which nearly won us automatic promotion, was probably bad luck with the injury that ended his career and a freak accident taking him off in the playoff final that killed it for us. If he'd remained fit to the end we probably would have managed promotion. It might only pay off 1 in 10 times but teams will always take a chance on quality and experience if they have a chance to sign it because of injury issues. I guess Danny Andrew is one of our more recent success stories with taking a chance on a player that had been struggling with injury issues, he's now back with Fleetwood who released him because of injury issues.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 1, 2021, 9:09pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from denni266

Using your logic, players should retire once they have a major injury. You wouldn't fill your squad with them but with advances in medicine, full recoveries are a lot more common.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, August 3, 2021, 5:30pm; Reply: 31
Is there any news on his injury yet ?
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 12:16pm