Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: GtfcGarner, July 30, 2021, 7:30am
As by all means the title suggests a rumour but apparently we have signed Bromleys Michael Cheek and he's with the squad at the training camp. Don't shoot the messenger as only passing on information. Got sent the following aswell as looks quite alike.
Posted by: Hagrid, July 30, 2021, 7:47am; Reply: 1
Looks nothing like him. I saw this on twitter
Posted by: Garth, July 30, 2021, 7:58am; Reply: 2
Should have gone to Specsavers, nothing like him
Posted by: quebec38, July 30, 2021, 8:03am; Reply: 3
Turns out it’s goalkeeper Max Crocombe.
Posted by: psgmariner, July 30, 2021, 8:06am; Reply: 4
In October 2017 Crocombe was sent off during a match against Bradford Park Avenue for urinating at the side of a stand [23] A spectator made a formal complaint and the incident was later reported to the police. Crocombe subsequently posted an apology on Twitter and explained "I was in a very uncomfortable position and made an error of judgement that spoiled a great win".[24]
Posted by: Davec, July 30, 2021, 8:08am; Reply: 5
Looks absolutely nothing like Michael Cheek, and I'm not entirely 100% certain it is Max Crocombe either but it does look more like Crocombe than it does Cheek!
Posted by: coddy60, July 30, 2021, 8:20am; Reply: 6
Its Crocombe, who will probably be the keeper we're signing.
Posted by: supertown, July 30, 2021, 8:30am; Reply: 7
Wow, whoever thought that was Cheek has serious eye problems
Posted by: chaos33, July 30, 2021, 8:44am; Reply: 8
Really hoping to see a striker or even two soon.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, July 30, 2021, 8:48am; Reply: 9
Not signing Cheek is a bit of a slap in the face
Posted by: Son of Cod, July 30, 2021, 8:48am; Reply: 10
Quoted from Hagrid
Looks nothing like him. I saw this on twitter

Quoted from Garth
Should have gone to Specsavers, nothing like him

Quoted from Davec
Looks absolutely nothing like Michael Cheek, and I'm not entirely 100% certain it is Max Crocombe either but it does look more like Crocombe than it does Cheek!

Quoted from supertown
Wow, whoever thought that was Cheek has serious eye problems

I don't think he looks that unlike Cheek. I can see it's not him, but there's definitely a resemblance.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 30, 2021, 8:55am; Reply: 11
Quoted from AdamHaddock

Just have the turn the other one
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, July 30, 2021, 9:19am; Reply: 12
Quoted from Son of Cod
I don't think he looks that unlike Cheek. I can see it's not him, but there's definitely a resemblance.

How do you do that multiple quoted text thing?

I have only been able to quote one at a time  :(
Posted by: gtfc_akpa_akpro, July 30, 2021, 9:29am; Reply: 13
Quoted from AdamHaddock

This is awful
Posted by: golfer, July 30, 2021, 9:29am; Reply: 14
Keep finger on unox with thumb on cetex- then with left hand press down Q -L-Z and the Shift key --simultaneously type in your name with your right hand.  SIMPLE.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 30, 2021, 9:56am; Reply: 15
Quoted from golfer
Keep finger on unox with thumb on cetex- then with left hand press down Q -L-Z and the Shift key --simultaneously type in your name with your right hand.  SIMPLE.

That’s where Lincoln fans have the upper hand!
Posted by: Abdul19, July 30, 2021, 10:04am; Reply: 16
Not been this excited about a NZ player since Hamish Watson and Jason Batty.
Posted by: Son of Cod, July 30, 2021, 10:04am; Reply: 17

How do you do that multiple quoted text thing?

I have only been able to quote one at a time  :(

Bit of a faff, I click quote and then copy it and then go back to the thread and click quote on the next one and paste it in and so on...does that make sense? Not sure if I've explained that well?
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), July 30, 2021, 10:15am; Reply: 18
So maybe this is the time to speculate about something that's been bothering me for quite a while now.......the number 9 Shirt!

We have 8 listed players as forwards, not all are strikers, but none of them have been given the Number 9 shirt.  The only thing I can come up with is that PH is waiting for a certain players contract to end on 31st July, the deal might have already been done, or he might have to fight for him.  I can't imagine PH keeping the number 9 shirt open just in case he spots a good striker somewhere, so what do you guys think?  I'm all out of bubblegum and desperate to see who our new number 9 will be!
Posted by: Poojah, July 30, 2021, 10:26am; Reply: 19
Quoted from 123614
So maybe this is the time to speculate about something that's been bothering me for quite a while now.......the number 9 Shirt!

We have 8 listed players as forwards, not all are strikers, but none of them have been given the Number 9 shirt.  The only thing I can come up with is that PH is waiting for a certain players contract to end on 31st July, the deal might have already been done, or he might have to fight for him.  I can't imagine PH keeping the number 9 shirt open just in case he spots a good striker somewhere, so what do you guys think?  I'm all out of bubblegum and desperate to see who our new number 9 will be!

It appears to me that there's a place, and crucially budget, being left open for the signing of a striker towards the more 'marquee' end of the spectrum - or at least as marquee as we're likely to get at this level. I'm generally pretty happy with the shape of the squad but if there's an standout deficiency it's that there isn't an obvious goal scorer amongst our forwards.

Granted, Alan Connell didn't necessarily look like an obvious goal scorer on paper and Lenny has previously scored 20 in a season at this level, but both he and Taylor (our only two senior out and out forwards) are more 'foil' type players.

I imagine there are two or three prime targets in mind who we are having to compete a little harder and wait a little longer for. There's an element of risk in doing that in that if you miss out you're potentially staring at less attractive options, but everything the club appears to be doing at the moment seems to be calculated, sensible and methodical - I'm confident we'll see some positive movement, potentially out of the blue, within the next couple of weeks.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 30, 2021, 10:35am; Reply: 20
Quoted from 123614

Football League contracts typically end on 30th June but their former club still pays them until the end of July if they aren't fixed up so next week, there will be a number of players no longer getting paid and under more pressure to get fixed up.

The league season starts next weekend too which will, in theory, make people reconsider the level they want to play at.

I'm not sure if our number 9 will be a free agent though. Hurst has placed emphasis on fitness so I wonder if we will be paying a fee for somebody or raiding the U23 market. Revan said that his loan move was on the cards for a few weeks but Villa wanted him to complete pre-season with them.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), July 30, 2021, 10:45am; Reply: 21
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Football League contracts typically end on 30th June but their former club still pays them until the end of July if they aren't fixed up so next week, there will be a number of players no longer getting paid and under more pressure to get fixed up.

The league season starts next weekend too which will, in theory, make people reconsider the level they want to play at.

I'm not sure if our number 9 will be a free agent though. Hurst has places emphasis on fitness so I wonder if we will be paying a fee for somebody or raiding the U23 market. Revan said that his loan move was on the cards for a few weeks but Villa wanted him to complete pre-season with them.

This what bothers me the most.  Basically everyone who is out of contract now are free to talk with any one or any club they like, and have been able to do so for almost a month!  I would have thought that PH, with 4 weeks to talk to someone, would have got the deal over the line by now, but that's just my opinion.

Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, July 30, 2021, 10:46am; Reply: 22
Quoted from gtfc_akpa_akpro

This is awful

I think it was more, Tounge in cheek, than anything else.

Which sounds creepy as hell the more you think about it
Posted by: bax, July 30, 2021, 10:50am; Reply: 23
Quoted from 123614

This what bothers me the most.  Basically everyone who is out of contract now are free to talk with any one or any club they like, and have been able to do so for almost a month!  I would have thought that PH, with 4 weeks to talk to someone, would have got the deal over the line by now, but that's just my opinion.

Maybe the player he wants is under contract?

Maybe that club wants to get someone else in before letting this chap go?
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), July 30, 2021, 10:56am; Reply: 24
[quote=2633]

Well if that is the case, then we are going to have to pay for him, and if he is a 'marquee' signing then I guess he won't come cheap!  It will be interesting to see what emerges over the next few days/weeks.

Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, July 30, 2021, 10:57am; Reply: 25
Quoted from 123614

Makes sense, if his previous club are still paying him until end of July, and he is going to have to take a pay cut he would wait until his old club stop paying him a larger wage before he moved for a lower wage. Or we might have offered him the same but he waited to see if he gets a better offer until end of July.

I have faith in PH getting us a decent goalscorer.

Posted by: DB, July 30, 2021, 11:59am; Reply: 26
Quoted from 123614

I think your logic is right. Hurst wouldn't keep the number 9 shirt empty on spec. He will have 1 or 2 lined up waiting for their contracts to end. Next week will be interesting to see who comes in to complete the jigsaw.

Posted by: Poojah, July 30, 2021, 12:03pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from bax

Maybe that club wants to get someone else in before letting this chap go?

I think this is quite likely. Knowing Hurst's previous patterns in terms of lead strikers I would expect he'll be after someone in their prime age-wise, and relatively proven at a higher level or tearing it up at our level / the level below (a la Hearn and Bogle). Looking on the very useful [url=https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spieler/vertragslosespieler/statistik/1/plus//galerie/0?ausrichtung=alle&spielerposition_id=14&land_id=alle&altersklasse=&wettbewerb_id=GB4&seit=alle&yt0=Show]Transfermarkt[/url] site there are very few free agents who most recently played in League One, League Two or National League that fit that bill. The only names which look remotely suitable are:
I'd expect Vassell to be somewhat of a stretch financially, and I'd have thought there would have been competition above our level that would be more attractive to him. Cullen and Lavery have both been on trial at Hartlepool and it looks as though they'll at least be taking Cullen on. Boden, whilst reasonably prolific in the Conference, will be 32 in December which probably rules him out given the ages of LJL and Taylor.

The only other name that stood out was Aramide Oteh, recently released by QPR but having been on loan at a few clubs in League Two in recent seasons where he's done 'ok'. Still not massively proven at 22 however and has recently been on trial at Donny, so possibly also unlikely.

Beyond that, there appears to be very little out there in terms of free agents, so I'd say the likelihood will be someone currently under contract or someone out of the left field who hasn't been playing in England (which I also see as slightly unlikely).
Posted by: wiggers, July 30, 2021, 12:37pm; Reply: 28
Personally I think it’s going to be someone of the work in progress type rather than a proven lower league striker.
An Owen Windsor type for example……
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, July 30, 2021, 1:09pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Son of Cod

Bit of a faff, I click quote and then copy it and then go back to the thread and click quote on the next one and paste it in and so on...does that make sense? Not sure if I've explained that well?

While I was thinking about it, that was what I thought you may have done. Thanks for confirming.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, July 30, 2021, 1:28pm; Reply: 30
Hurst could be very shrewd in his thought process. It may be better to get one or two strikers in on loan, so he can still run his eye over other players and their availability in January. By then, 1878 may have allowed him a bit more budget from any more income we may garner, in order to buy a player, possibly lower league, who is banging the goals in for their respective team for the first half of the season.
Posted by: ginnywings, July 30, 2021, 4:50pm; Reply: 31
When Lincoln won the National League, their top scorer was Fatty Matty Rhead with 15 goals. He only just made the top 10 in the scorers table. Ricky Miller scored 40 that season.

You don't necessarily need a prolific goalscorer to win the league. You have a better chance IMO if you have several players chipping in around the team.

Having said that, I do think we will be bringing in a dedicated striker before too long. Current injuries to 2 of our strike force will only hasten the need.
Posted by: pontoonlew, July 30, 2021, 5:09pm; Reply: 32
Striker is the only area I’m concerned about at the minute, looking back at last January the failure to get a striker on board was the final nail in our coffin and I feel we’re probably 2 short as it stands.
Posted by: chaos33, July 30, 2021, 5:45pm; Reply: 33
I agree
Posted by: Tommy, July 30, 2021, 5:47pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from ginnywings
When Lincoln won the National League, their top scorer was Fatty Matty Rhead with 15 goals. He only just made the top 10 in the scorers table. Ricky Miller scored 40 that season.

You don't necessarily need a prolific goalscorer to win the league. You have a better chance IMO if you have several players chipping in around the team.

Having said that, I do think we will be bringing in a dedicated striker before too long. Current injuries to 2 of our strike force will only hasten the need.

I think the bit in bold is a key point.

Everyone would love a 30-goal a season man but it doesn't guarantee you anything.

As above, Lincoln went up with a top scorer on 15.
Whereas teams like Crawley and Fleetwood went up with prolific scorers like Tubbs and Vardy.
It can be done in different ways and there's more to it than just who's your main striker anyway, otherwise we might have bounced straight back up last time with Connell hitting 30-odd goals.

Agree with you though ginny, expecting to see a new striker arrive soon.
Posted by: LH, July 30, 2021, 6:17pm; Reply: 35
We’ve just signed a keeper who has scored before (according to wiki). Hurst obviously reads this forum, has seen the concern and has addressed it.
Posted by: Maringer, July 30, 2021, 6:41pm; Reply: 36
A Martin Paterson type of up and coming youngster on loan might be worth a go? We're certainly covered in the 'experience' aspect up top, so a young tyro might be the good alternative option. Always a gamble with youngsters, of course, as many aren't ready in their teens or even early 20s,
whereas others can show their class at a lower level from a young age. I'd hope for somebody with some real pace as that's one thing non-league defenders really, really don't like. Or League defenders, for that matter!
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 30, 2021, 11:01pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Maringer
A Martin Paterson type of up and coming youngster on loan might be worth a go? We're certainly covered in the 'experience' aspect up top, so a young tyro might be the good alternative option. Always a gamble with youngsters, of course, as many aren't ready in their teens or even early 20s,
whereas others can show their class at a lower level from a young age. I'd hope for somebody with some real pace as that's one thing non-league defenders really, really don't like. Or League defenders, for that matter!

I think any successful team needs both options. With LJL and Taylor touch and go for the opening day, I wonder if we will bring another big lad in on loan and someone with a bit of pace who can play on the shoulder.
Posted by: davmariner, July 30, 2021, 11:29pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from ginnywings

Podge and Omar Bogle would probably take issue with that.
Posted by: toontown, July 31, 2021, 12:05am; Reply: 39
Quoted from ginnywings

That's all very well if we have players chipping in with goals from all over but I'm not sure that's the case.

Clifton isn't a goal scorer as we know
Coke hasn't scored for years
Fox very rarely scores
Mcatee scored 1 league goal in 23 last season
Sousa doesn't appear to be an accomplished finisher (might be wrong on him)
Wright has managed 3 goals in his career with us so far
Grant scores a few but not many (maybe he can tuck away more at our level)
Pearson hasn't scored for the last 2 National league seasons
Longe-king hasn't scored many
Etc you get the picture. With neither the shop or Ryan Taylor being known for goal threat either then I think lack of goals does seem to be  a legitimate concern. Hopefully a high scoring striker is awaiting to be unveiled for the number 9 shirt as I think we need it.

Posted by: Harry Haddock, July 31, 2021, 1:04am; Reply: 40
I can see Sousa, Grant and McAtee scoring a few from midfield this season
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, July 31, 2021, 7:11am; Reply: 41
Quoted from Harry Haddock
I can see Sousa, Grant and McAtee scoring a few from midfield this season

If you check out the leading scorers for the 3 Buckley promotions it was 12, 12, 16 - Alexander, Gilbert/Woods, Donovan. The only two 20 goal strikers in promotion years in my lifetime are Tees and Amond.

In the Third Division Championship season the goals were spread around - Drinkell 16, Kilmore 15, Cumming 14 - Joe Waters chipped in with 8 as well.
Posted by: wekeepdreaming, July 31, 2021, 8:20am; Reply: 42
We need a striker who knows how to put the ball in the back of the net on a consistent basis through the season or we will fall short of challenging for promotion
Posted by: aldi_01, July 31, 2021, 8:48am; Reply: 43
Quoted from wekeepdreaming
We need a striker who knows how to put the ball in the back of the net on a consistent basis through the season or we will fall short of challenging for promotion

Everyone is looking for this…
Posted by: moosey_club, July 31, 2021, 8:51am; Reply: 44
Had a vivid dream last night that we had signed Billy Sharp !!!

I am heavily dosed up on ibuprofen in my defense.
Posted by: ginnywings, July 31, 2021, 9:56am; Reply: 45
Whilst a prolific striker is most welcome; it's also a dodgy strategy to rely on someone who could get injured or lose form.

Most of the promotions in my lifetime have come from teams who spread the scoring around the squad.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 31, 2021, 12:13pm; Reply: 46
We need two strikers to contribute 20-30+ goals between them. Then we will see the natural result of more space in the box and other players getting close to double figures But the key is those two main strikers. Maybe the game has changed but Tees & Green, Tees & Brace, Rafferty & Hunt, Rafferty & Portwood, wymark & Drinkell, Lump and Reddy …… you need dangermen to open up the space befor the Souzas and Mcatees can make their Joe Waters/Mike Brolly style contribution.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, July 31, 2021, 6:25pm; Reply: 47
The thing is with good strikers at whatever level they get into goalscoring positions and take the odd half chance that settles games.When you dont have that type of player it is far more difficult to edge a game.Last time in non league we had Connell,Hearn,Lenny,Bogle,Amond so we always carried the threat we need one in ASAP.
Posted by: RichMariner, July 31, 2021, 10:11pm; Reply: 48
Depending who you talk to, Bogle & Amond scored 50+ goals between them but the only reason we got promoted in 15/16 was because Monkhouse got injured and a Braintree defender lost his mind.

Said with tongue firmly in cheek, btw.
Posted by: Poojah, July 31, 2021, 10:35pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from RichMariner
Depending who you talk to, Bogle & Amond scored 50+ goals between them but the only reason we got promoted in 15/16 was because Monkhouse got injured and a Braintree defender lost his mind.

Said with tongue firmly in cheek, btw.

Most significant thing to happen that season was Gregor Robertson getting injured at Braintree in October.
Posted by: LH, July 31, 2021, 10:37pm; Reply: 50
Marcus Marshall has something to say about this. Iconic substitute appearance.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 31, 2021, 10:38pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from Poojah

Most significant thing to happen that season was Gregor Robertson getting injured at Braintree in October.

Agreed. Without Townsend we wouldn't have made the playoffs.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 1, 2021, 9:16am; Reply: 52
We need two strikers to contribute 20-30+ goals between them. Then we will see the natural result of more space in the box and other players getting close to double figures But the key is those two main strikers. Maybe the game has changed but Tees & Green, Tees & Brace, Rafferty & Hunt, Rafferty & Portwood, wymark & Drinkell, Lump and Reddy …… you need dangermen to open up the space befor the Souzas and Mcatees can make their Joe Waters/Mike Brolly style contribution.

Agree with this, though I've only seen the Rovrum game I think if the strikers can stretch the space and pull defenders around then we'll have goals from mid field. If we got 2 front men both well into double figures for the season then we'll be there or there abouts.  
Posted by: RichMariner, August 1, 2021, 9:46pm; Reply: 53
It blows my mind that just about every team struggles to find the striker they want. The game should be awash with strikers, and I say this based purely on the fact that, when I was at school, everyone wanted to be (and always played as) a striker.

All those dinner time games that finished 32-27 playing the 1-0-16 formation, a proper free-for-all, lads going off for their lunch then coming back with three extra players, no one ever passing, everyone shooting from every sort of angle, jumpers for goalposts isn’t it, hmm?!

Personally I loved defending because I soon realised that was the best way to actually get a few touches of the ball. My mate was in goal so we used to sit back, chat, and deny the arrogant goal-hangers. Loved it.

Where are all these attackers now? Getting ‘lost’ in the system? 😛
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 1, 2021, 11:50pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from RichMariner
It blows my mind that just about every team struggles to find the striker they want. The game should be awash with strikers, and I say this based purely on the fact that, when I was at school, everyone wanted to be (and always played as) a striker.

All those dinner time games that finished 32-27 playing the 1-0-16 formation, a proper free-for-all, lads going off for their lunch then coming back with three extra players, no one ever passing, everyone shooting from every sort of angle, jumpers for goalposts isn’t it, hmm?!

Personally I loved defending because I soon realised that was the best way to actually get a few touches of the ball. My mate was in goal so we used to sit back, chat, and deny the arrogant goal-hangers. Loved it.

Where are all these attackers now? Getting ‘lost’ in the system? 😛

Sat in their bedsits giving you red crosses 😆
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, August 1, 2021, 11:50pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from RichMariner

You were playing them all onside ffs!   😀

Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 2, 2021, 8:22am; Reply: 56
Caolan Lavery from Walsall to Bradford meaning CV dropping down the pecking order. 🤨😉🤞
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, August 2, 2021, 9:04am; Reply: 57
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Caolan Lavery from Walsall to Bradford meaning CV dropping down the pecking order. 🤨😉🤞

Think u could be on to something there…..
Posted by: pontoonlew, August 2, 2021, 9:16am; Reply: 58
Quoted from aldi_01

Everyone is looking for this…

Are we not bored of making this excuse every summer yet?
Posted by: ska face, August 2, 2021, 9:31am; Reply: 59
Does it make it less true?

End of the day it’ll come down to who’s for the deepest pockets and which team is a decent option for a decent striker. Some years we’ve had the money and been challenging, other years we haven’t.
Posted by: Mariner93er, August 2, 2021, 11:33am; Reply: 60
This is arguably the hardest season to find a striker as no leagues below national league played. So if you’re taking a chance on a Bogle type player, you’re doing so on his form well over a year ago. With that not an option, you’re left with a limited pool of players: established goal scorers in the national league (most who will attract football league offers), a punt on an U23 player, or resurrecting a football league strikers career ala Connell and amond.

Considering Tshimanga is the only national league striker I think we’d want now (Cheek maybe too old) and he’s wanted by football league teams, I think we’ll see one of the latter options. Realistically, we’re not going to be blown away, but hurst has always managed to find a high scoring striker while in the conference.
Posted by: tashee69, August 2, 2021, 11:57am; Reply: 61
Cheek is only 29
Posted by: Mariner93er, August 2, 2021, 12:06pm; Reply: 62
He’s 30 this month, but are we realistically going to pay a transfer fee for someone heading into their 30s - I can’t see it myself.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 2, 2021, 12:21pm; Reply: 63
Cheek has pretty much got to the age of 30 without venturing further north than Essex and I doubt he's going to venture north to sign for us.
Posted by: petethemariner, August 2, 2021, 12:31pm; Reply: 64
I think decent players in the lower divisions are open to dropping down a league or two if the financial package/ clubs ambition is attractive enough, Mullin had just dropped effectively two leagues from Cambridge to Wrexham and Quigley, whose goals kept Barrow up, has dropped a league to Stockport, we now have owners with ambition, so I would hope the days of looking in the bargain bucket are over
and if it means playing a large fee for a proven goalscorer we need to do it, this club cannot be allowed to wallow in non league for another 5 years and we are painfully aware  of how hard it is to get out of it.
Posted by: pontoonlew, August 2, 2021, 12:35pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from ska face
Does it make it less true?

End of the day it’ll come down to who’s for the deepest pockets and which team is a decent option for a decent striker. Some years we’ve had the money and been challenging, other years we haven’t.

But it's put across as though fans are looking for strikers that score 25+ a season. Fans are realistic enough to know that we're not going to find somebody who has proven they can do that but over the course of the past few years we've used this excuse time and time again to justify not signing anybody even anywhere near capable of doing so.

Both last summer and in January we failed to get somebody who could outscore our 18-year-old centre back and that was somehow deemed as acceptable because 'nobody would want to come here'.

We've still got a couple of weeks to get somebody in and I'm hopeful we will, but it'd be nice to not just roll over and accept that we won't (or can't) get anybody.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 2, 2021, 12:47pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from pontoonlew

But it's put across as though fans are looking for strikers that score 25+ a season. Fans are realistic enough to know that we're not going to find somebody who has proven they can do that but over the course of the past few years we've used this excuse time and time again to justify not signing anybody even anywhere near capable of doing so.

Both last summer and in January we failed to get somebody who could outscore our 18-year-old centre back and that was somehow deemed as acceptable because 'nobody would want to come here'.

We've still got a couple of weeks to get somebody in and I'm hopeful we will, but it'd be nice to not just roll over and accept that we won't (or can't) get anybody.

The very valid point has been raised above that finding a Hearn or Bogle from the level below is virtually impossible given last season barely got off the ground and the season before finished almost 18 months ago.

I would argue that Mullin is a very big risk for Wrexham from a team spirit point of view. The problem we have is that we now need to get through this season with 2 of our strikers having not had a pre-season. For this reason I think that whoever comes in won't be a free agent. I think our number 9 will either be someone with a lot of interest like Tshimanga or an educated punt on loan from higher up the pyramid.
Posted by: ska face, August 2, 2021, 2:06pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from pontoonlew

Think you’re confusing what people say on here with the actions of Hurst and the board, or getting them backwards at any rate.

What people say on here is generally guesswork, at best, reacting to what we see at the club. It doesn’t inform or influence anything that Hurst does in the transfer market. So when people say that proven goal scorers don’t want to come here, they’re only reflecting what they’ve seen on the pitch recently.

Hurst and Doig have been pretty open this summer and in January saying that the club have been knocked back by players. January especially Hurst mentioned in a few interviews how forwards had decided they didn’t fancy a relegation battle or clubs didn’t want to let others out on loan for various reasons.

So if Hurst had come out at the start if the season saying nobody wants to come here & all the clubs want the same, then I’d probably be a bit more concerned. But it’s a bit off to basically pin what are effectively coping statements from fans after the fact on Hurst & suggest the club just rolls over.
Posted by: acko338, August 2, 2021, 2:44pm; Reply: 68
The club seems to have sold itself well thus far through recommendations, including ex-players' testimonies.

If this can be continued to sell the club to a couple of forwards, then Hurst and Doig will have done their transfer work well.

The new regime have played a very significant part in making the club more attractive, so we can only hope that strikers of a good standard will take on the new benefits and facilities now on offer, even after a relegation season.
Posted by: pontoonlew, August 2, 2021, 3:16pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from ska face

Think you’re confusing what people say on here with the actions of Hurst and the board, or getting them backwards at any rate.

What people say on here is generally guesswork, at best, reacting to what we see at the club. It doesn’t inform or influence anything that Hurst does in the transfer market. So when people say that proven goal scorers don’t want to come here, they’re only reflecting what they’ve seen on the pitch recently.

Hurst and Doig have been pretty open this summer and in January saying that the club have been knocked back by players. January especially Hurst mentioned in a few interviews how forwards had decided they didn’t fancy a relegation battle or clubs didn’t want to let others out on loan for various reasons.

So if Hurst had come out at the start if the season saying nobody wants to come here & all the clubs want the same, then I’d probably be a bit more concerned. But it’s a bit off to basically pin what are effectively coping statements from fans after the fact on Hurst & suggest the club just rolls over.

I'm not suggesting the club rolls over, I'm suggesting that our fans roll over and accept it. If the club is rolling over then we've got a serious problem.

Of course players will be turning us down left right and centre but they'll be doing exactly the same to other clubs. It seems rather naive to me that whenever fans question why we haven't brought in a striker, the stock answer seems to be along the lines of 'they don't want to come here' or 'where are we going to find a 20+ goal striker from?' Seems a bit defeatist to me.

Having said all that I am approaching that 'slightly worried' stage, which usually means we'll sign a striker in the next 24 hours.

One more thing to point out, I feel like we'll be playing a 4-3-3 this season with a lone striker for the majority of the season, so maybe there's some truth in the thought process of Hurst looking to the wingers to share the load on the goalscoring front.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, August 2, 2021, 5:43pm; Reply: 70
I’m sure PH is always open to advice, but think he might have some ideas of his own.
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, August 2, 2021, 6:44pm; Reply: 71
I believe we’ll get a decent young striker on loan, maybe 2
Posted by: ginnywings, August 3, 2021, 9:55am; Reply: 72
Hurst is big on team spirit and players being the right fit for the club, so I suspect he will take his time and wait for the right player to become available.

As the summer draws on, things change. A player who wasn't available suddenly becomes so. It can be a case of other teams getting in their targets before releasing others.

I'd rather wait for the right one than sign someone because we have a gap in the squad that needs filling.

I do however think we need to push the boat out a bit. Players will drop a division or even two for the right package from an ambitious club, as the signings of Mullin and Quigley show.
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), August 3, 2021, 9:58am; Reply: 73
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-evans-trying-offload-former-5733782.amp

Would be a good addition!
Posted by: Son of Cod, August 3, 2021, 10:22am; Reply: 74
Quoted from 1542

Southend or Barnet bound if he can't get a league club, I bet.
Posted by: Mendonca1995, August 3, 2021, 1:07pm; Reply: 75
I would take John akinde in a heartbeat would absolutely kill it at this level a real handful
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, August 3, 2021, 1:15pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from Mendonca1995
I would take John akinde in a heartbeat would absolutely kill it at this level a real handful

Not for me, but not bottom of my list. Just don't know who is at the top. I just hope PH has some one at the top of his list that will join us

Posted by: mariner2000, August 3, 2021, 1:38pm; Reply: 77
https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2021/august/kairo-mitchell-signs-030821/

Notts County get their striker
Posted by: chipsandgravy, August 3, 2021, 5:30pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from ginnywings
Hurst is big on team spirit and players being the right fit for the club, so I suspect he will take his time and wait for the right player to become available.

As the summer draws on, things change. A player who wasn't available suddenly becomes so. It can be a case of other teams getting in their targets before releasing others.

I'd rather wait for the right one than sign someone because we have a gap in the squad that needs filling.

I do however think we need to push the boat out a bit. Players will drop a division or even two for the right package from an ambitious club, as the signings of Mullin and Quigley show.

Yep agree mostly. Have been reasonably pleased with our business on the field so far and certainly off it. However I am still not looking forward to the hell hole of the National League. I was hoping that the takeover and the injection of some cash would result in a bit more "statement of intent" on the pitch as some of our other rivals. However there's time yet and as you say better to get the right fit.
Posted by: Abdul19, August 3, 2021, 6:43pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from mariner2000

Should take them to the top of the pyramid.
Posted by: Total Hawsehole, August 3, 2021, 6:48pm; Reply: 80
Probably not wrapped in as many bandages as Sean Scanelll?
Posted by: Son of Cod, August 10, 2021, 5:51pm; Reply: 81
Chesterfield fans reckon Tshimanga is signing for them.
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), August 10, 2021, 6:04pm; Reply: 82
Patience is a virtue......just one that most of us GTFC fans don’t have in abundance!!

I just hope PH has still got a few tricks up his sleeve!

Posted by: pontoonlew, August 10, 2021, 6:37pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from 1542
Patience is a virtue......just one that most of us GTFC fans don’t have in abundance!!

I just hope PH has still got a few tricks up his sleeve!

I mean there’s patience and there’s not having a fit striker 11 days before the season starts
Posted by: marinerdazza, August 10, 2021, 6:40pm; Reply: 84
I’ve read the Tshimanga rumours too. That IS a concern.
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), August 10, 2021, 6:44pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from marinerdazza
I’ve read the Tshimanga rumours too. That IS a concern.

What Rumours? That Chesterfield are signing him?

Seems like it might still be a struggle to attract players here. Would have loved to have seen Tshimanga too!
Posted by: marinerdazza, August 10, 2021, 6:45pm; Reply: 86
Quoted from 1542

Seems like it might still be a struggle to attract players here. Would have loved to have seen Tshimanga too!

Yep. Wouldn’t be so bad if he was going League 2.
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, August 10, 2021, 6:56pm; Reply: 87
Quoted from pontoonlew

I mean there’s patience and there’s not having a fit striker 11 days before the season starts

We do. He’s called McAtee, he’s scored in the last two matches.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 10, 2021, 7:01pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from 1542

You're in your mid-20's, do you want to live and work near Derbyshire or Grimsby?

It's not just about money.
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), August 10, 2021, 7:33pm; Reply: 89
Looks like a Chesterfield are about to announce someone - probably Tshimanga knowing our luck!
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, August 10, 2021, 7:41pm; Reply: 90
Notts County might have signed a striker.  They probably need one.  Losing 3-2 to York City last weekend did not help their cause.  
Posted by: smokey111, August 10, 2021, 8:02pm; Reply: 91
Quoted from jamesgtfc

You're in your mid-20's, do you want to live and work near Derbyshire or Grimsby?

It's not just about money.

You are in your mid 20s and can live in Sheffield and have a one hour drive to work. By the way you can set off at 9 and be back by 4 at the latest.
Posted by: buckstown, August 10, 2021, 8:05pm; Reply: 92
https://chesterfield-fc.co.uk/club-news/spireites-fend-off-competition-to-sign-striker
Tshimanga to Chesterfield
Posted by: Mariner93er, August 10, 2021, 8:06pm; Reply: 93
Tshimanga confirmed for chesterfield. Got to admit, I was holding out hope we were in for him. Chesterfield, Stockport and Wrexham all have impressive strike forces now. We do need to get a move on and get someone through the door, although it’s unlikely to be anyone with a good scoring record now (think they’ve all pretty much been snapped up?) and probably a loan from a u23 team.
Posted by: Davec, August 10, 2021, 8:10pm; Reply: 94
Chesterfield, Stockport and Wrexham have spent heavily on their strike force, which is something I feel we need to do now.
Posted by: Mariner93er, August 10, 2021, 8:11pm; Reply: 95
But it could be too late. Are there any top scoring strikers left?
Posted by: pontoonlew, August 10, 2021, 8:12pm; Reply: 96
Quoted from Mariner93er
But it could be too late. Are there any top scoring strikers left?

Apparently they don’t exist
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, August 10, 2021, 8:13pm; Reply: 97
Tshimanga signing is disappointing, and surprising that it's a non-league team!

Would love a marquee signing, and at the moment, feel Akinde could be the answer
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, August 10, 2021, 8:14pm; Reply: 98
Anyone think they potentially hijacked a deal from us?...was he destined for that No9 shirt?...is it back to the drawing board?did Mrs Peacock do it with candlestick in the kitchen?...
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 10, 2021, 8:18pm; Reply: 99
Quoted from smokey111

You are in your mid 20s and can live in Sheffield and have a one hour drive to work. By the way you can set off at 9 and be back by 4 at the latest.

Quicker than that to Chesterfield surely.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 10, 2021, 8:20pm; Reply: 100
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Anyone think they potentially hijacked a deal from us?...was he destined for that No9 shirt?...is it back to the drawing board?did Mrs Peacock do it with candlestick in the kitchen?...

She might well have done, but we’ll leave her sexual habits out of it.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 10, 2021, 8:23pm; Reply: 101
Maybe we just need to accept that in the eyes of some players we’re not as big a fish as we think we are?

You can have a marquee striker but you need a half decent midfield to get the ball to him
Posted by: moosey_club, August 10, 2021, 8:23pm; Reply: 102
Well......that's a p1sser.
Genuinely thought we had him lined up.

Hursts next interview will be telling, wonder if he might admit to losing out on a target.

Posted by: smokey111, August 10, 2021, 8:24pm; Reply: 103
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Quicker than that to Chesterfield surely.

Probably bike it in less than an hour!
Posted by: Poojah, August 10, 2021, 8:25pm; Reply: 104
Wow, that’s a big surprise. Honestly didn’t think he’d stay in non-league.

Some quality strikers at a number of our rivals now; Mullin at Wrexham, Madden at Stockport, Tshimanga at Chesterfield. It’s undeniable really that we’re currently a long way behind the front runners in terms of attacking threat - clubs not fúcking about down here.

Time for that to change of course, but it’s going to take something pretty special. It does indeed make you wonder whether we were in for and potentially close to signing Tshimanga.
Posted by: chipsandgravy, August 10, 2021, 8:25pm; Reply: 105
They obviously didn't have to spend the money on new sprinklers!!😉
Posted by: Poojah, August 10, 2021, 8:26pm; Reply: 106
Quoted from chipsandgravy
They obviously didn't have to spend the money on new sprinklers!!😉

Nah, they came with the new stadium their former owner successfully delivered.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 10, 2021, 8:32pm; Reply: 107
It’s beginning to look concerning.
Posted by: Mikey_345, August 10, 2021, 8:35pm; Reply: 108
He will sort it, faith!  
Posted by: smokey111, August 10, 2021, 8:38pm; Reply: 109
Quoted from MuddyWaters
It’s beginning to look concerning.

Not as concerning as one pre season game, seven loanees, eight players 19 and under and a despot and a charlatan running the show.
Posted by: chipsandgravy, August 10, 2021, 8:42pm; Reply: 110
Well it makes Saturday's friendly a bit more significant. It will be a marker to see how we compete against (on paper) a decent squad and representative of a team favourite to finish in the top four. Pity we have so many injuries as i feel an indifferent result will bring the naysayers out in force!!
Posted by: Civvy at last, August 10, 2021, 8:43pm; Reply: 111
did Mrs Peacock do it with the candlestick in the kitchen?...

She certainly did.

I’ve seen the video 😳
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, August 10, 2021, 8:43pm; Reply: 112
My only concern is clubs have strengthened their top end better than us but I would say the likes of Fox, Coke, Macatee, Sousa and Revan mean we only need a fit Taylor/Lewis and we'll fine....trying to stay as positive as possible without completely p!ssing my pants.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, August 10, 2021, 8:52pm; Reply: 113
Great signing for Chesterfield that - they will be member a hoop.

We have obviously been turned down by all our first choice targets otherwise they would be in the building by now, so we can only speculate what the problem is. Surely it's not money, as we must be the most financially viable club in the league, apart from Wrexham.

Posted by: Bigdog, August 10, 2021, 8:53pm; Reply: 114
My only concern is clubs have strengthened their top end better than us but I would say the likes of Fox, Coke, Macatee, Sousa and Revan mean we only need a fit Taylor/Lewis and we'll fine....trying to stay as positive as possible without completely p!ssing my pants.

If by fine you mean mid-table, then yes, we'll be fine..

Desperately short of pace and firepower up front.. probably need two in with Taylor as back up. Not expecting much at all from LJL..
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), August 10, 2021, 8:53pm; Reply: 115
I seriously think we were close to getting him. Standby for someone we’ve never heard of that’s scored 2 in 342 games.

We are so far behind the pack in the National League now. Get comfortable guys because I think we’re here to stay!!
Posted by: Davec, August 10, 2021, 9:03pm; Reply: 116
I do think we need two good strikers signing, we can't rely on John Lewis and Taylor, both wrong side of 30, both Injured, both not regular scorers
Posted by: pontoonlew, August 10, 2021, 9:05pm; Reply: 117
I’m not sure if we were in for him or not, I’d suggest the minor meltdown on here is the result of people realising that those around us continue to sign strikers and that the ‘there aren’t any available’ excuse may be wearing slightly thin for even the most ardent user of the phrase.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 10, 2021, 9:07pm; Reply: 118
Actions speak louder than words. We have a very decent looking defence and midfield yet can’t attract a striker. Be prepared for a lot of 0-0.
Posted by: Withnail, August 10, 2021, 9:11pm; Reply: 119
Like others I thought we may have pulled off something of a coup with Tshimanga so it's disappointing to see he's opted for a non league rival.

Podge going to Exeter rubs salt in the wound.

But hopefully we can entice Cheek up north, if he's still available?

If not, I'm sure Hurst has other targets on his radar and as others have said the Dembele money - or lack of, at present - may mean we have to keep our powder dry for a little longer.

Here's hoping a marquee no 9 signing comes through the doors in the next few days.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, August 10, 2021, 9:11pm; Reply: 120
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Actions speak louder than words. We have a very decent looking defence and midfield yet can’t attract a striker. Be prepared for a lot of 0-0.

I understand people being concerned, but I don't understand people believing its over already?

It's obvious we are in for a striker, so let's calm down, and be as patient as we can
Posted by: Bigdog, August 10, 2021, 9:20pm; Reply: 121
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Still a pacy centre half short too imho. Three very similar centre backs as it stands..
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), August 10, 2021, 9:22pm; Reply: 122
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

I understand people being concerned, but I don't understand people believing its over already?

It's obvious we are in for a striker, so let's calm down, and be as patient as we can

Agreed, I think we WERE in for a striker and got pipped to the post. Pretty certain that the next signing will be soooo underwhelming too.

Mid table at best - hope to be proved wrong!
Posted by: denni266, August 10, 2021, 9:26pm; Reply: 123
The way other teams are signing good strikes we may need to upgrade our defence to match  to stand any chance. And its no good saying or thinking this is only a year to stabalise  as the same will happen next year and the year after we alwase end up with the dregs
Posted by: Hagrid, August 10, 2021, 9:28pm; Reply: 124
First time ive voiced any concern

LJL and Taylor cannot be relied on to fire you to promotion. Its not their game, but we’ve known this for weeks, and whilst i dont doubt for a second that PH is working his balderdash off to find a player, a week and a half before the season starts to sign your focal point is a worry.

Id’d argue we need 2 strikers, and we need them in asap. You cannot- no disrespect- start the season with Adlard and Essel as the attacking options
Posted by: forza ivano, August 10, 2021, 9:31pm; Reply: 125
At least the Scints are losing! Keep smiling and dont panic (yet!)
Posted by: Grantley, August 10, 2021, 9:33pm; Reply: 126
Quoted from Bigdog

Still a pacy centre half short too imho. Three very similar centre backs as it stands..

You think Longe-King is similar to Pearson/Waterfall?
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 10, 2021, 9:34pm; Reply: 127
Let's not forget their first season down in the Conference the mighty Chesterfield only just survived being relegated again.

It's a tough league if you aren't scoring goals, we need at least one more striker in asap.
Posted by: Bigdog, August 10, 2021, 9:39pm; Reply: 128
Quoted from 1542

Agreed, I think we WERE in for a striker and got pipped to the post. Pretty certain that the next signing will be soooo underwhelming too.

Hurst has already gone on record as saying we need three or four more in and won't be rushed, so I'm happy with that..

I'm very happy with the goalkeeping position, full backs too, and with the midfield triangle of Coke, Fox and McAtee. Scannell (when fit), Sousa, Grant and Wright will be threats out wide, but personally I don't rate two of our centre backs or LJL up top, and worry if Fox gets injured. We lack pace at both ends of the pitch, and it seems like 4-2-3-1 will be Hurst's preferred formation, a target man with his back to goal up front. Other than out wide, the squad seems a bit pedestrian to me. There were some nice possession based passages of play against Boston, but in front of their back four. We need someone up top who's sharp over the first five or ten yards, to get opposition defences turning.

Shame we haven't got a full squad together yet and hope to see the gaps filled with exciting signings by the end of the window, not squad fillers. Anything less, then Hurst will have underdelivered..
Posted by: Madeleymariner, August 10, 2021, 9:43pm; Reply: 129
Quoted from Grantley

Well none of them can pass a ball more than 10 yards with any accuracy, but Longe King isn't particularly slow.
Posted by: toontown, August 10, 2021, 9:49pm; Reply: 130
Quoted from Bigdog

I don't disagree. But maybe Hurst is happy with using one of revan, crooked, sears as a pacy CD? They cam play there can't they I think it was mentioned when they signed, especially in a 3. I would rather a specialist speedier CD signed though
Posted by: denni266, August 10, 2021, 9:49pm; Reply: 131
I think we have had more than long enough to get the squad together . This dilly dallying is going to cost us dear.. If you have targets and they are what you want just go for it and make offers they dont have to think about , It may sound like thats going to cost but if you have them on 2 yr contracts  you spend less the next season  buy cheap buy twice to stay the same
Posted by: Bigdog, August 10, 2021, 9:51pm; Reply: 132
Quoted from Grantley

As opposed to someone like Hewitt, yes. He's a stopper like the other two but more mobile, so similar, but you're right, definitely not the same.

Pearson and Waterfall are both slow and prone to giving far too many free kicks away, Personally I'm not a fan of either, but if Hurst wanted SP back, I'd be ok with that if he'd let Waterfall go..Those two making up two thirds of our centre back offering gives me the shudders..
Posted by: toontown, August 10, 2021, 10:05pm; Reply: 133
Quoted from 1542

Yeah the Boreham wood training ground teaser when we signed Pearson, the persistent rumours and the no. 9 shirt being kept free would suggest we were in for him. Bitterly disappointing.

Being an also ran playoff contender (I.e below 3rd) probavly looks like our best hope now. I assume we wouldn't be in the business of paying a fee for cheeke. Unless Hurst pulls an amond type rabbit out the hat fingers crossed
Posted by: Chrisblor, August 10, 2021, 10:10pm; Reply: 134
lmao i'm v sceptical about the size of our supposedly competitive budget if we couldn't beat Chesterfield to signing Tshimanga (who last time i checked barely have a pot to urine in). better hope hurst's got an unheard of prem / championship youth team striking gem up his sleeve on loan then i guess
Posted by: Mendonca1995, August 10, 2021, 10:11pm; Reply: 135
Ffs let’s hope the phones still ringing !!!
Posted by: Hagrid, August 10, 2021, 10:16pm; Reply: 136
Quoted from Chrisblor
lmao i'm v sceptical about the size of our supposedly competitive budget if we couldn't beat Chesterfield to signing Tshimanga (who last time i checked barely have a pot to urine in). better hope hurst's got an unheard of prem / championship youth team striking gem up his sleeve on loan then i guess

They furloughed players last season when the season restarted in the March for NL Clubs, and then bought Danny Rowe
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 10, 2021, 10:21pm; Reply: 137
At least we’ve got sprinklers.

But seriously, this shows how far we’ve dropped. I think many have underestimated the task in front of us.
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 10, 2021, 10:37pm; Reply: 138
Quoted from Chrisblor

I am not obviously going to name my contact but it was suggested to me that our players budget may not be the size some on here were expecting.
Posted by: denni266, August 10, 2021, 10:54pm; Reply: 139
There is deffo something wrong if we cannot out bid Chesterfield ,  I know we have got some good players in  but not whats going to get us out of this league so far. A lot of good things are happining around the ground but to the average fan its what is on the field that counts.. and a lot of fans have put there hands in there pockets thinking that we are going for it  and will be very disapointed and feel let down
Posted by: Poojah, August 10, 2021, 10:55pm; Reply: 140
Quoted from arryarryarry

I am not obviously going to name my contact but it was suggested to me that our players budget may not be the size some on here were expecting.

I'm not sure what people were expecting. What we were promised, and what I've believe we've got, is good, talented businesspeople operating for the right reasons, running the club in the right way. That's a massive improvement on what went before, but I've never expected us to spend inorganically. That's never been promised.

We are not a Crawley, or a Fleetwood, or a Forest Green, or a Wrexham, or even a Stockport. I honestly believe these new owners of ours will get us on the right track, and that in time we'll be stronger than we've been at any point in the last couple of decades. But they'll do it sustainably, which I believe in the long-term is the right way for this club.

For every Fleetwood there's a Rushden & Diamonds, a Darlington, a Bury or, dare I say it, a Scunny (that cheque is already in the mail). Wrexham will be an interesting story, and probably a successful one. Good luck to them, I genuinely wish them well after so many years in the non-league doldrums. But, and I genuinely say this without an ounce of jealousy, I wouldn't want what they have, for us. To be the playthings of Hollywood superstars - a bit of fun, a magic money tree they don't really need. They're going to enjoy a lot more football fortune than us over the course of the next few years, but they'll be patronised along the way. Not for me, Clive.

This isn't just about this season. With all the rebuilding that needed doing, this season was always going to be slow. But in time, I honestly, wholeheartedly believe we will emerge from the shadow of ourselves from which we've been hiding all these years.

Enjoy next season for the experience we've all missed so much for over eighteen, wretched months. The footballing success might not come immediately but it will come later, and when it does it will be sustainable, and sustained.

UTM!
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, August 10, 2021, 10:57pm; Reply: 141
It's all well and good that other teams in our league are signing strikers with good records but what if the don't gel with the other players and don't perform to their previous level?
Also, sadly, there is the very real chance of injury in a very physical division.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 10, 2021, 10:59pm; Reply: 142
It's all well and good that other teams in our league are signing strikers with good records but what if the don't gel with the other players and don't perform to their previous level?
Also, sadly, there is the very real chance of injury in a very physical division.

Well yes, our team seems to have got injured before they even play in it.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 10, 2021, 11:01pm; Reply: 143
Quoted from Poojah

I'm not sure what people were expecting. What we were promised, and what I've believe we've got, is good, talented businesspeople operating for the right reasons, running the club in the right way. That's a massive improvement on what went before, but I've never expected us to spend inorganically. That's never been promised.

We are not a Crawley, or a Fleetwood, or a Forest Green, or a Wrexham, or even a Stockport. I honestly believe these new owners of ours will get us on the right track, and that in time we'll be stronger than we've been at any point in the last couple of decades. But they'll do it sustainably, which I believe in the long-term is the right way for this club.

For every Fleetwood there's a Rushden & Diamonds, a Darlington, a Bury or, dare I say it, a Scunny (that cheque is already in the mail). Wrexham will be an interesting story, and probably a successful one. Good luck to them, I genuinely wish them well after so many years in the non-league doldrums. But, and I genuinely say this without an ounce of jealousy, I wouldn't want what they have, for us. To be the playthings of Hollywood superstars - a bit of fun, a magic money tree they don't really need. They're going to enjoy a lot more football fortune than us over the course of the next few years, but they'll be patronised along the way. Not for me, Clive.

This isn't just about this season. With all the rebuilding that needed doing, this season was always going to be slow. But in time, I honestly, wholeheartedly believe we will emerge from the shadow of ourselves from which we've been hiding all these years.

Enjoy next season for the experience we've all missed so much for over eighteen, wretched months. The footballing success might not come immediately but it will come later, and when it does it will be sustainable, and sustained.

UTM!

Being run properly is no guarantee of anything. Your comment shows a remarkable lack of ambition. Results sell tickets not being run properly.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 10, 2021, 11:09pm; Reply: 144
Quoted from Poojah

UTM!

As ever Poojah, you’ve found the right words.

1878 never promised to spend money we didn’t have, although there seems to have been a fair amount spent on getting the basics right at the club. Yes I admit my hopes for promotion in the first season have faded. But objectively, if I’d sat down and thought about it with a cool head I’d have realised they were slim anyway. We’ve been here before. But at this time we haven’t got a nincompoop in charge.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 10, 2021, 11:13pm; Reply: 145
Quoted from KingstonMariner

As ever Poojah, you’ve found the right words.

1878 never promised to spend money we didn’t have, although there seems to have been a fair amount spent on getting the basics right at the club. Yes I admit my hopes for promotion in the first season have faded. But objectively, if I’d sat down and thought about it with a cool head I’d have realised they were slim anyway. We’ve been here before. But at this time we haven’t got a nincompoop in charge.

So we’re happily accepting mid table non league before we’ve kicked a ball. So much for season ticket sales eh?
Posted by: friskneymariner, August 10, 2021, 11:14pm; Reply: 146
This is becoming uncomfortably similar to previous seasons will we ever learn.
Posted by: Poojah, August 10, 2021, 11:18pm; Reply: 147
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Being run properly is no guarantee of anything. Your comment shows a remarkable lack of ambition. Results sell tickets not being run properly.

Results correlate with ticket sales? Honestly, and this is a genuine question - do I strike you as someone not bright enough to spot that correlation?

There are endless examples of clubs that have spent money they didn't have and / or couldn't sustain long-term who have suffered massively as a result. I just named four of them in my previous post, only Scunny of which still currently exist in their original or any form. Portsmouth were an established Premier League side who won the FA Cup in 2010, yet still found themselves in League Two a few years later having grossly overspent. Take a look at Gretna's glory days north of the border, and see what happened to them when their benefactor sadly died.

I agree, being well run is no guarantee of anything. Neither is spunking money on fast-depreciating players in some gambling addict-like pursuit of short-term success. But that doesn't mean there isn't value or success to be had in being properly run. Have a look at how Brentford, Rotherham, Lincoln, Wycombe, Accrington et al are doing compared to us. None of them, not even Lincoln, have relied on massive overspending to get where they are today. I'd add Peterborough to the list, but they did spend big in Darragh MacAnthony's early days - yet still their model was always centred on sustainability, as it is today.

It's easy to be 'ambitious' with someone else's money. Time will tell whether this is the right way, but personally I think it is.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 10, 2021, 11:18pm; Reply: 148
Quoted from friskneymariner
This is becoming uncomfortably similar to previous seasons will we ever learn.

Absolutely right. We’ve been starved of success for so long, now it seems they are determined to make it even longer.
Posted by: bobbyturtle, August 10, 2021, 11:23pm; Reply: 149
wtf we haven't played a game yet, wheres ffs
Posted by: Maringer, August 10, 2021, 11:24pm; Reply: 150
If this lad is generally based in the midlands or south east (time in Milton Keynes, Oxford and Boreham Wood would tend to indicate this is his sort of area), perhaps not too much of a surprise he'd want to play for a team closer to that neck of the woods. You could live in Nottingham which is a nice city and commute to Chesterfield very easily and still be relatively close to MK/London. A 3 year deal, reportedly, so that's some security as well. I wonder if we were only perhaps offering a couple of years initially (providing we were actually in for him). 3 years is bit of a gamble at this level. Let's hope it doesn't work out for them!
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 10, 2021, 11:29pm; Reply: 151

Location, location, location.

Probably a factor in Hurst losing out to other clubs on the striker front.

It's always held us back.

Move the training ground to the Sheffield area, job done.

Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 10, 2021, 11:33pm; Reply: 152
Quoted from Poojah

Results correlate with ticket sales? Honestly, and this is a genuine question - do I strike you as someone not bright enough to spot that correlation?

There are endless examples of clubs that have spent money they didn't have and / or couldn't sustain long-term who have suffered massively as a result. I just named four of them in my previous post, only Scunny of which still currently exist in their original or any form. Portsmouth were an established Premier League side who won the FA Cup in 2010, yet still found themselves in League Two a few years later having grossly overspent. Take a look at Gretna's glory days north of the border, and see what happened to them when their benefactor sadly died.

I agree, being well run is no guarantee of anything. Neither is spunking money on fast-depreciating players in some gambling addict-like pursuit of short-term success. But that doesn't mean there isn't value or success to be had in being properly run. Have a look at how Brentford, Rotherham, Lincoln, Wycombe, Accrington et al are doing compared to us. None of them, not even Lincoln, have relied on massive overspending to get where they are today. I'd add Peterborough to the list, but they did spend big in Darragh MacAnthony's early days - yet still their model was always centred on sustainability, as it is today.

It's easy to be 'ambitious' with someone else's money. Time will tell whether this is the right way, but personally I think it is.

Of course positive results increase ticket sales, don’t they? That’s the point I’m making. I find it difficult to believe the ‘feel good factor’ will remain if we don’t finish in the top half of the table next season and even that would make us reconsider four season tickets.

I’m not sure what point you’re making about someone else’s money. Fenty managed the club on ticket sales for most of his time in charge and I imagine 1878 will do the same.

I very much hope I’m wrong but this looks too familiar to me.
Posted by: Heisenberg, August 10, 2021, 11:34pm; Reply: 153
Wow, this is depressing. I have never ever been this unenthusiastic about a season. People accepting we’re  not amongst the top runners. Another season in non league, and with a potentially average squad. No marquee signings, yet the others around us manage it.

Non league is beneath us. Whether that’s a sentiment from the past or not is irrelevant to me, I personally have no time for it. I have no intention of going to games this season. I hope I get dragged in by surprising results and an uplift in results, but it’s probably not happening.

I can’t help but think the unwanted players we have under contract will haunt us this season. Oh, and of course the players that we’ve signed who are too old and readying themselves for a season on the treatment table, a la Hanson.

If you don’t spend big you rot in this league.

Last season beat the fight out of me, and this pre season has not brought it back.

I like the new owners, but I’m not hanging around another 6 years for success, no way, it’s embarrassing.

Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 10, 2021, 11:37pm; Reply: 154
Quoted from Heisenberg
Wow, this is depressing. I have never ever been this unenthusiastic about a season. People accepting we’re  not amongst the top runners. Another season in non league, and with a potentially average squad. No marquee signings, yet the others around us manage it.

Non league is beneath us. Whether that’s a sentiment from the past or not is irrelevant to me, I personally have no time for it. I have no intention of going to games this season. I hope I get dragged in by surprising results and an uplift in results, but it’s probably not happening.

I can’t help but think the unwanted players we have under contract will haunt us this season. Oh, and of course the players that we’ve signed who are too old and readying themselves for a season on the treatment table, a la Hanson.

Last season beat the fight out of me, and this pre season has not brought it back.

I like the new owners, but I’m not hanging around another 6 years for success, no way, it’s embarrassing.

Hallelujah. Someone else seeing through the touchy-feely guff.
Posted by: Poojah, August 10, 2021, 11:49pm; Reply: 155
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Of course positive results increase ticket sales, don’t they? That’s the point I’m making. I find it difficult to believe the ‘feel good factor’ will remain if we don’t finish in the top half of the table next season and even that would make us reconsider four season tickets.

I’m not sure what point you’re making about someone else’s money. Fenty managed the club on ticket sales for most of his time in charge and I imagine 1878 will do the same.

I very much hope I’m wrong but this looks too familiar to me.

I’m not sure what you thought you were reading there, but my point was that the concept that results correlate with attendances is obvious. Of course they do. But you have to be able to pay for short-term results in the long-term.

I’m completely agreeing with you that 1878, if that’s how we’re referring to them, will manage the club based on earned revenue (which is largely ticket sales at this level of course). The difference is they’ll increase ticket sales gradually by not treating fans like shìt, not letting our facilities crumble and by creating a working environment that staff, playing and non-playing alike, are more likely to want to be a part of.

It’s not about an overnight quick fix. If you were expecting that then I think you’ve misled yourself because no one has ever promised such a thing.
Posted by: Bigdog, August 10, 2021, 11:54pm; Reply: 156
Quoted from Poojah

UTM!

What was promised was a top end of the league budget. I saw the words come out of Jason Stockwood's mouth. We'll have one of the highest average home attendances and an EFL parachute payment, so there's no reason to be outspent by pretty much every club.

Football is always about the current season, not the next. It's always the current season and the next game that matters..

Transfer window far from closed yet, so I'm reserving judgement on the squad until then.. but Hurst has got to pull at least three big bunny rabbits out of a hatful of cash for me to be more confident about the season ahead.. the difference will be from fighting for a play-off place to challenging near the top..
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 10, 2021, 11:59pm; Reply: 157
Quoted from Heisenberg

The season we went up, our budget wasn't as big as some had us believe I'm told. Sutton didn't spend big and went up as champions last season.

When you look at the recent league experience through our squad, we must have a decent wage bill.

I would imagine Pearson, Fox, Taylor and Crookes are on decent wages for this level alongside some of those we've retained as part of our first team squad like McKeown, Waterfall and Scannell.
Posted by: Zmariner, August 11, 2021, 12:01am; Reply: 158
Quoted from Heisenberg

I struggle with the national league and so I completely echo your feelings. Not a game played yet and so we have to be optimistic. With the stuffing knocked out if us over the last few years even with my season ticket I will only go if we are competitive. Hurst was decent at this level before and after his nightmare in guiding us to bottom spot last season his career is on the line and so he will give it his best . Many talk of transition but I fear a lot of us have lost some of the passion for it and mid table national league will be of no interest to me even in the short term. Utm
Posted by: Grantley, August 11, 2021, 12:07am; Reply: 159
Quoted from MuddyWaters

So what is the answer then? Spend money that we don’t have on one player and hope that he scores the 30 goals required to see us champions in our first season back, an event which has happened once in the past decade?

Wrexham, Stockport and possibly Chesterfield are spending more on wages and fees than most L2 teams this summer - they’re blowing everyone out the water and were favourites for promotion this season before their play-off final even happened. This doesn’t even factor in smaller moneybags teams like Solihull, Eastleigh and Boreham Wood and the traditional league teams like Torquay (Gary Johnson) and Southend. Heck, even Barnet and Dagenham have put together decent squads.

The quality of football in this league probably isn’t what it was 10 years ago but it’s so much more competitive. The last team to spend big and win the league was Luton and they at least had the fans to do that and got their act together.

Re your comments on off the pitch improvements: Salford showed that throwing money at a project can get you so far. They’ve now stalled in League 2, probably because they still train everyday on a pitch at the local park. Tbh I think if we had got a decent striker in you’d have been complaining that we weren’t spending any money on upgrading the facilities!
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, August 11, 2021, 12:16am; Reply: 160
We’re getting soundly beaten at Bromley I think . This squads not that good . Mid table at best .
Posted by: GrimExile, August 11, 2021, 12:48am; Reply: 161
Quoted from Heisenberg

But surely if you’re a true GTFC fan then you support your team through thick and thin and not have the attitude of and I quote, “I like the new owners, but I’m not hanging around for another 6 years for success, no way it’s embarrassing.” I don’t want to pick a fight but I find that attitude disappointing to say the least. #UTM
Posted by: bobbyturtle, August 11, 2021, 12:59am; Reply: 162
think weve got our knickers in a twist
Posted by: GrimExile, August 11, 2021, 1:06am; Reply: 163
Quoted from bobbyturtle

No not at all. Well at least I don’t think so!!! 😁😁😁
Posted by: somersetmariner, August 11, 2021, 2:13am; Reply: 164
Depressing to read this thread. Marquee signings ?! We’re not Barcelona or Man City….I think the unrealism of championship manager, alcohol and delusion have taken effect.

Paul hurst will have built a squad / team hard to break down and score against. We will score some good goals too.

Cheer up you lot.
Posted by: Mallyner, August 11, 2021, 6:59am; Reply: 165
Quoted from bobbyturtle

He sounds similar to me. I got into my wife's knickers this morning; and they are bloody tight.  :)

Posted by: GtfcGarner, August 11, 2021, 7:07am; Reply: 166
Lets just wait till around 10 games in.. Big marquee signings don't always guarantee success. The football may be dry and we will grind out the top tier games trying to keep clean sheets but that's the way Paul has had success in the past. Still feel he is working hard behind the scenes to get the right players here at Town, what if we outbid Chesterfield for Tshimanga on a better deal and a 3-year contract only for him to score 5 in his first season - we would all go nuts.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 11, 2021, 7:41am; Reply: 167
Quoted from GtfcGarner
Lets just wait till around 10 games in.. Big marquee signings don't always guarantee success. The football may be dry and we will grind out the top tier games trying to keep clean sheets but that's the way Paul has had success in the past. Still feel he is working hard behind the scenes to get the right players here at Town, what if we outbid Chesterfield for Tshimanga on a better deal and a 3-year contract only for him to score 5 in his first season - we would all go nuts.

Exactly this. It wasn't long ago that Tshimanga was playing for Boston. Went there with good pedigree and a full-time football education at Franchise FC but was restricted to coming on from the bench because his stamina was terrible.

It looks like he has had 2 good seasons at this level for Boreham Wood but there are no doubt question marks over whether he can handle the next step up.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 11, 2021, 7:56am; Reply: 168
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
We’re getting soundly beaten at Bromley I think . This squads not that good . Mid table at best .

We might lose (we might win or draw too) but I haven't seen anything to suggest we will get "soundly beaten."

Our defence is solid, our midfield looks good and solid so I don't think we will concede a lot of goals.
Posted by: denni266, August 11, 2021, 7:58am; Reply: 169
Well if a top half finish in the dog and duck league is all our once respected league team can muster then my money will stay where it is.. Football is about winning end of,, Not interested in fanzones or what colour the walls are painted or fancy ticket ticket machines  its whats on the pitch that counts to the fans. Lets face it  we all wanted fenty out and someone to come in to improve the team and make us proud and respected again , And what we have so far is a mid non league squad  with no strikers , And lets be honest  Lennie is no striker  I think we expected more from our new owners on the playing side and its not happining so why come in and buy the club ?. And they are already talking about the next owners like they are not here to stay , Its all starting to feel like false hope again like every season and more and more fans are starting to see this and are starting to say so , For me you have done the same with fine words and a paint brush , Get some decent players in or lose us because thats what will happen Grimsby fans will turn very quick . Basically  if its not right on the pitch you will know about it big style ,
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 11, 2021, 8:00am; Reply: 170
Quoted from Grantley

So what is the answer then? Spend money that we don’t have on one player and hope that he scores the 30 goals required to see us champions in our first season back, an event which has happened once in the past decade?

Wrexham, Stockport and possibly Chesterfield are spending more on wages and fees than most L2 teams this summer - they’re blowing everyone out the water and were favourites for promotion this season before their play-off final even happened. This doesn’t even factor in smaller moneybags teams like Solihull, Eastleigh and Boreham Wood and the traditional league teams like Torquay (Gary Johnson) and Southend. Heck, even Barnet and Dagenham have put together decent squads.

The quality of football in this league probably isn’t what it was 10 years ago but it’s so much more competitive. The last team to spend big and win the league was Luton and they at least had the fans to do that and got their act together.

Re your comments on off the pitch improvements: Salford showed that throwing money at a project can get you so far. They’ve now stalled in League 2, probably because they still train everyday on a pitch at the local park. Tbh I think if we had got a decent striker in you’d have been complaining that we weren’t spending any money on upgrading the facilities!

You’re pretty much admitting yourself that you don’t expect us to challenge. I’ve got this nasty feeling that we’re going to be paddling against the tide for quite a while yet.
Posted by: buckstown, August 11, 2021, 8:01am; Reply: 171
Think it's a bit premature writing us off at this stage, lets at least give it till the end of September?
We don't have a clue what Chesterfield paid in terms of fee or salary but it might turn out to be a waste of dosh.
Have some faith, at least until we've kicked a ball in earnest
Posted by: aldi_01, August 11, 2021, 8:33am; Reply: 172
Quoted from MuddyWaters

You’re pretty much admitting yourself that you don’t expect us to challenge. I’ve got this nasty feeling that we’re going to be paddling against the tide for quite a while yet.

20 years of abject failure, a team that never moved forward since we re-entered the league…in what world did you expect us to go down and simply throw cash at it and come straight back up?

Anyone that believed we’d go straight back is deluded. We’ve new owners changing things, we’ve a manager people have a respect for but ultimately we’re the worst of 92 teams last year, a reputation of being a flipping joke offering excrement contracts, that takes time to change…

Posted by: LN8Mariner, August 11, 2021, 8:55am; Reply: 173
I don’t get where this expectation that we will automatically be challenging for promotion comes from. Only once in our history after relegation have we got promoted straight afterwards, twice in the past 35 years we’ve gone down back to back so just based on history we’re more likely to go down again! We’ve only finished in the top half of league 2 once in the 15 years, we are not big hitters any longer as much as it pains me as somebody introduced to Town in 1979.

We don’t know the ins and outs of marquee signings but the assumption that these players definitely want to sign is almost laughable. Maybe we were outbid, maybe we were just turned down?

I’d love us to go straight back up but history tells us that we need to be patient, get rid of some of the deadwood still hanging about and building a formula that players want to play for. Lincoln took 6 seasons, eventually looked at building a sustainable club and yes got a little lucky with a huge cup run to put bums on seats, like we did in 1989, and the feel good then stayed.

It may not happen overnight, it won’t be for the lack of trying, but we need to get behind them all no matter out hopes or fears for the coming season(s). The one thing I read in this thread, though, is that all of us are frustrated at where we find ourselves again even if we have different opinions on how long is will/should take us to get out of this situation... we need to stick together. UTM
Posted by: Maringer, August 11, 2021, 8:55am; Reply: 174
Some unappealing views on this thread. Some people apparently think we are too 'Massive' for this league. Not all that long ago we were mocking the Wednesday fans for a similar attitude. Most (if not all?) of the teams in our league are full-time professionals so trying to claim it is some sort of tinpot affair doesn't do the league justice. Several clubs our size or bigger in here, some of which have more money to spend as well, that's alongside some smaller clubs who have a lot of money to spend.

Regarding our budget, it shouldn't be forgotten that a decent chunk of that is going into the pockets of Holloway signings who Hurst has decided he doesn't want at the club. Based on what we saw from them last season, this is understandable. They have contracts which we have to continue to pay unless we can get them to move on - even then it will no doubt cost us as teams aren't queueing up to sign players not wanted by the worst Football League team last season.

Hopefully, we'll get another couple of decent signings before the start of the season as well as some of the injured players back. We have to aim for a play-off place and if that means grinding out goalless draws away from home and nicking other matches by a single goal, I'll be happy enough with that. I certainly don't see the need for any hysteria after a reasonable enough pre-season considering we've had so many players absent.
Posted by: forza ivano, August 11, 2021, 9:01am; Reply: 175
Think this thread will be well worth revisiting in a couple of weeks time!
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, August 11, 2021, 9:10am; Reply: 176
Danny Rose anybody? - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Rose_(footballer,_born_1993)

Northampton fans think he might be on his way out.

Remember him being good for Mansfield, and surprised he's only 27
Posted by: Zmariner, August 11, 2021, 9:14am; Reply: 177
Quoted from forza ivano
Think this thread will be well worth revisiting in a couple of weeks time!

I agree, not a real game played yet. Let’s see where we are after 10 or 12 games. I fully expect us to be competitive but there will be blips this is inevitable.

I think if we had signed a couple of decent forwards none of us would be having this conversation This is easier said than done. We need to get lucky in our search for a striker as the rest of the team does not look too bad. All Will be revealed in the next three months For many of us I don’t think it is this too massive concept It is more the tedium of the National League. I have been a fanatical fan all my life but after about four years last time even with a season ticket I was struggling to go. Most of the games have no atmosphere and I just could not take a lot of joy from Beating the likes of Solihull even if they were decent teams. Utm
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 11, 2021, 9:15am; Reply: 178
Quoted from Maringer
Some unappealing views on this thread. Some people apparently think we are too 'Massive' for this league. Not all that long ago we were mocking the Wednesday fans for a similar attitude. Most (if not all?) of the teams in our league are full-time professionals so trying to claim it is some sort of tinpot affair doesn't do the league justice. Several clubs our size or bigger in here, some of which have more money to spend as well, that's alongside some smaller clubs who have a lot of money to spend.

Regarding our budget, it shouldn't be forgotten that a decent chunk of that is going into the pockets of Holloway signings who Hurst has decided he doesn't want at the club. Based on what we saw from them last season, this is understandable. They have contracts which we have to continue to pay unless we can get them to move on - even then it will no doubt cost us as teams aren't queueing up to sign players not wanted by the worst Football League team last season.

Hopefully, we'll get another couple of decent signings before the start of the season as well as some of the injured players back. We have to aim for a play-off place and if that means grinding out goalless draws away from home and nicking other matches by a single goal, I'll be happy enough with that. I certainly don't see the need for any hysteria after a reasonable enough pre-season considering we've had so many players absent.

Regarding budget, it was made clear by PH that the contracted players who ‘would be putting cones out’ wouldn’t affect the budget.

I just find it quite strange that people are prepared to write this season off. I’m not sure, either, that we’ve had a ‘reasonable enough’ pre season only if you compare it with last, I guess.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 11, 2021, 9:17am; Reply: 179
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Danny Rose anybody? - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Rose_(footballer,_born_1993)

I’ll swap you a Danny Rose for a Danny Rose?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 11, 2021, 9:17am; Reply: 180
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

5ft8 but always been decent in the air and holding the ball up whenever I've seen him.
Posted by: mariner91, August 11, 2021, 9:19am; Reply: 181
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

I hope he’s better than the current one we’ve got!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, August 11, 2021, 9:20am; Reply: 182
It’s well worth remembering that there are still players out there without a club, not getting paid and have this ego that seems to be prevalent on here, that they are bigger than what they actually are! A player can have all the best will of wanting to play for us (or anybody) but what about if the mrs doesn’t want to move or the kids are settled at school. Wasn’t that one of the reasons that we managed to keep macca from moving up to Scotland?

We don’t know who PH is actually looking at signing, all we can do is really guess at who. Which agents/players/clubs has he spoken to will be close guarded. Are we in for akinde - obviously proven but many slagging off our ‘aging’ forward line already, and I reckon he could get a LG 2 club (Crawley, Stevenage, Sutton) that would be before us in the queue.
Posted by: Poojah, August 11, 2021, 9:34am; Reply: 183
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
It’s well worth remembering that there are still players out there without a club, not getting paid and have this ego that seems to be prevalent on here, that they are bigger than what they actually are!

This is an observation, not a criticism of our recruitment strategy, but in terms of free agents there's very little out there now - at least in England. That's not entirely surprising given the EFL season has already started now.

I think it's increasingly likely that any new strikers will be under contract elsewhere, so either a youngster on loan or an unwanted player currently at a League Two club. Nothing to say either of those routes won't produce something decent, but I'm sure one of the reasons this is taking so long is because there's not a massive pool of options out there.
Posted by: davmariner, August 11, 2021, 9:41am; Reply: 184
Quoted from Heisenberg

Agree with this. I’m supportive of PH but I’ve not been particularly impressed with our recruitment bar Efete and perhaps McAtee. Fox is also a decent prospect but his injury record is a worry, particularly when you look at his appearances in previous years.
Posted by: aldi_01, August 11, 2021, 9:47am; Reply: 185
Quoted from Poojah

This is an observation, not a criticism of our recruitment strategy, but in terms of free agents there's very little out there now - at least in England. That's not entirely surprising given the EFL season has already started now.

I think it's increasingly likely that any new strikers will be under contract elsewhere, so either a youngster on loan or an unwanted player currently at a League Two club. Nothing to say either of those routes won't produce something decent, but I'm sure one of the reasons this is taking so long is because there's not a massive pool of options out there.

This is my take on it, it’s all well and good a few fans moaning that we haven’t got a striker (neither have plenty of other teams, or ones they’re happy with) but just bringing one in to appease Gaz down the local pub or Dave on the fishy isn’t good recruitment. Hurst will know what he wants…

Perhaps a young up and coming lad from an u23s squad will be better long term than just picking up some alleged proven striker that hasn’t played for a couple of years…let’s face it, Amond was shite before he came to us…
Posted by: RobDef1, August 11, 2021, 10:10am; Reply: 186
Quoted from aldi_01

This is my take on it, it’s all well and good a few fans moaning that we haven’t got a striker (neither have plenty of other teams, or ones they’re happy with) but just bringing one in to appease Gaz down the local pub or Dave on the fishy isn’t good recruitment. Hurst will know what he wants…

Perhaps a young up and coming lad from an u23s squad will be better long term than just picking up some alleged proven striker that hasn’t played for a couple of years…let’s face it, Amond was shite before he came to us…

Agreed. I'm as gutted as the next guy that Amond didn't come back, it felt the time was perfect and I'm a massive fan of podge. But lets not forget the guy that brought that gem to our club is sat in the managers office making calls as we speak.

UTM

Posted by: Grantley, August 11, 2021, 10:26am; Reply: 187
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Nice straw man you’ve built there. I expect us to be challenging for the playoffs but I don’t believe we have a god-given right to romp the title in our first season back. I also expect that we did have a competitive budget but the recent signings of Wrexham, Stockport and Chesterfield seem to just be an attempt to out-do each other in big money signings. We simply don’t have the unlimited pools of money that those 3 and Notts County.

Obviously a rare case, people forget that Vardy was signed by Fleetwood on August 26th, around 4 games into the season. If the transfer window shuts and we’re left with a young lad on loan then fair enough, but let’s not give up all hope before pre-season is even finished.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), August 11, 2021, 10:27am; Reply: 188
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Absolutely right. We’ve been starved of success for so long, now it seems they are determined to make it even longer.

Are you insinuating that our owners and Management team are deliberately trying to keep us in the NL, because that is how that sentence reads?

It is absolutely sickening to see the numerous negative posts on here, and this before we have even kicked a ball in the NL.  Get behind the club, look what has been done so far, ok nothing is guaranteed but FFS let's back our club  UTM

Posted by: 123614 (Guest), August 11, 2021, 10:30am; Reply: 189
Quoted from MuddyWaters

You mean another non-supporter jumps ship with his intentions NOT to go to any games this season.

Posted by: 123614 (Guest), August 11, 2021, 10:34am; Reply: 190
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

Pathetic!!

Posted by: Maringer, August 11, 2021, 10:34am; Reply: 191
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Regarding budget, it was made clear by PH that the contracted players who ‘would be putting cones out’ wouldn’t affect the budget.

I just find it quite strange that people are prepared to write this season off. I’m not sure, either, that we’ve had a ‘reasonable enough’ pre season only if you compare it with last, I guess.

How does that work, then? Don't the contracted players get paid?

It's pretty obvious that the money to cover their wages of all contracted players, whether wanted or not, will have been accounted for before the playing budget was put together so it's simply not possible it hasn't had an impact. I certainly wouldn't expect Hurst to say as much in an interview, however. It's just obvious.

Reasonable enough pre-season in terms of a couple of decent performances, despite playing with a bunch of kids up front much of the time. Would obviously have been better if most of our forwards weren't injured when these games were played, but hopefully there has been enough for other parts of the team to begin to gel.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), August 11, 2021, 10:35am; Reply: 192
Quoted from GrimExile

But surely if you’re a true GTFC fan then you support your team through thick and thin and not have the attitude of and I quote, “I like the new owners, but I’m not hanging around for another 6 years for success, no way it’s embarrassing.” I don’t want to pick a fight but I find that attitude disappointing to say the least. #UTM

Agreed 100%.

Posted by: 123614 (Guest), August 11, 2021, 10:39am; Reply: 193
Quoted from denni266
Well if a top half finish in the dog and duck league is all our once respected league team can muster then my money will stay where it is.. Football is about winning end of,, Not interested in fanzones or what colour the walls are painted or fancy ticket ticket machines  its whats on the pitch that counts to the fans. Lets face it  we all wanted fenty out and someone to come in to improve the team and make us proud and respected again , And what we have so far is a mid non league squad  with no strikers , And lets be honest  Lennie is no striker  I think we expected more from our new owners on the playing side and its not happining so why come in and buy the club ?. And they are already talking about the next owners like they are not here to stay , Its all starting to feel like false hope again like every season and more and more fans are starting to see this and are starting to say so , For me you have done the same with fine words and a paint brush , Get some decent players in or lose us because thats what will happen Grimsby fans will turn very quick . Basically  if its not right on the pitch you will know about it big style ,

Wrong, the owners have always stated that they will leave the footballing side to PH and his staff.

Posted by: louth_in_the_south, August 11, 2021, 10:45am; Reply: 194
Quoted from 123614

Pathetic!!

We’ll see Mr Bear , I’m happy to be proved wrong but just saying how I see it .
Posted by: Son of Cod, August 11, 2021, 10:56am; Reply: 195
Quoted from pontoonlew
I’m not sure if we were in for him or not, I’d suggest the minor meltdown on here is the result of people realising that those around us continue to sign strikers and that the ‘there aren’t any available’ excuse may be wearing slightly thin for even the most ardent user of the phrase.

Yeah, I doubt that we were ever seriously in for him. Not if the transfer fee is as high as it's rumoured to be be. Have read 250k.
Posted by: Davec, August 11, 2021, 11:57am; Reply: 196
I'll take Danny Rose from Northampton if he is willing to drop down, I would also take Akinde Cheek and Scott Boden, I think we need 2 strikers so any 2 from those 4 would I think be decent.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 11, 2021, 12:02pm; Reply: 197
Quoted from Davec
I'll take Danny Rose from Northampton if he is willing to drop down, I would also take Akinde Cheek and Scott Boden, I think we need 2 strikers so any 2 from those 4 would I think be decent.

I mentioned Scott Boden at the start of the summer when I saw Chesterfield had released him and got criticised for it but he was good enough for play-off finalists Torquay last season.
Posted by: Poojah, August 11, 2021, 12:20pm; Reply: 198
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I mentioned Scott Boden at the start of the summer when I saw Chesterfield had released him and got criticised for it but he was good enough for play-off finalists Torquay last season.

Scott Boden's a good, steady Conference-level striker. 9 in 27 last season is a decent-ish ratio, working out at about 15 goals over a 44 game season. Given where we appear to find ourselves (though let's admit it, none of us know what's going on behind the scenes), I think he'd be a reasonable signing however given that he's a few months off his 32nd birthday you'd really hope to see someone younger coming in alongside. All just speculation of course. You'd have imagined if we were in for him we'd have done it by now.

One other name probably worth throwing into the mix is Alex Jones, previously signed by Hurst during our promotion season. Had a pretty prolific season at Port Vale in League One a few years ago (15 in 37) but seems to have struggled since. Worth a punt? I have absolutely no idea.
Posted by: pen penfras, August 11, 2021, 12:24pm; Reply: 199
Quoted from 123614

You mean another non-supporter jumps ship with his intentions NOT to go to any games this season.

Says the guy who openly boasts about watching our matches on pirate streams?
Posted by: chipsandgravy, August 11, 2021, 12:29pm; Reply: 200
Quoted from Heisenberg

I couldn't agree more with this sentiment. I hated non league first time round.
The only difference is that I will still support the team ( due in large to the new owners committment) and will be at Chesterfield on Saturday. Thick and thin and all that.
Posted by: pen penfras, August 11, 2021, 12:34pm; Reply: 201
Quoted from Maringer

How does that work, then? Don't the contracted players get paid?

It's pretty obvious that the money to cover their wages of all contracted players, whether wanted or not, will have been accounted for before the playing budget was put together so it's simply not possible it hasn't had an impact. I certainly wouldn't expect Hurst to say as much in an interview, however. It's just obvious.

Reasonable enough pre-season in terms of a couple of decent performances, despite playing with a bunch of kids up front much of the time. Would obviously have been better if most of our forwards weren't injured when these games were played, but hopefully there has been enough for other parts of the team to begin to gel.

Seems like it was a bluff from PH to get them to move. JS promised a bigger budget than last season, and I can't see that we've got that yet regardless. PH said that the budget wouldn't be affected by those that he wanted rid of, and that he wasn't bluffing about it and we'd see. Our business isn't finished, but it certainly doesn't seem to be what the early rhetoric was implying.

But none of this should be a surprise. They came in with a plan to build a new stadium that somebody else would pay for. We've been trying that for over 20 years and got nowhere with it. As soon as they bought the club, it got shelved and there was a statement about being sustainable. Not a criticism, that's exactly what I want. But you can't spend £200k on improvements, have a bigger budget than last season, have to pay the wages of players that PH has outcast and be sustainable. Throwing money will guarantee nothing and the team looks mostly decent.

The biggest problem for me is that if we don't do it this season with a parachute payment, bumper season ticket sales and the transfer income we've had, then it's only going to get harder next season onwards as the income will drop significantly.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, August 11, 2021, 1:46pm; Reply: 202
Quoted from pen penfras

But none of this should be a surprise. They came in with a plan to build a new stadium that somebody else would pay for. We've been trying that for over 20 years and got nowhere with it. As soon as they bought the club, it got shelved and there was a statement about being sustainable. Not a criticism, that's exactly what I want. But you can't spend £200k on improvements, have a bigger budget than last season, have to pay the wages of players that PH has outcast and be sustainable. Throwing money will guarantee nothing and the team looks mostly decent.

The biggest problem for me is that if we don't do it this season with a parachute payment, bumper season ticket sales and the transfer income we've had, then it's only going to get harder next season onwards as the income will drop significantly.

I’d rather we spend £200k on improvements than £200k to a private pension/loan
Posted by: Hants.Mariner, August 11, 2021, 1:48pm; Reply: 203
I have a couple of thoughts here.

Firstly, though I am not saying he is the answer, Michael Cheek would certainly be a striker to consider. When the fixture list came out, maybe Bromley said they would not consider an approach until after the first game. So could it be that there will be discussions after then? Especially since it gives our manager the opportunity to see him in a competitive game environment.

Secondly with the leagues below curtailed last season there is no obvious high scoring striker to look at based on form last year. If someone in the league below (or indeed in our league) gets off to a flyer scoring goals at will, we will be in the best position to sign them up when others have spent their cash already.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), August 11, 2021, 2:17pm; Reply: 204
Quoted from pen penfras

Says the guy who openly boasts about watching our matches on pirate streams?

I'm afraid once again you are wrong.  I paid for and watched every single match last season, as well as donating £100 to the Youth Team development and £20 to sponsoring a player, so until you know the facts, shut your fecking mouth and go back to tossing yourself off in your little cot!

Posted by: mariner91, August 11, 2021, 2:19pm; Reply: 205
Quoted from 123614

I'm afraid once again you are wrong.  I paid for and watched every single match last season, as well as donating £100 to the Youth Team development and £20 to sponsoring a player, so until you know the facts, shut your fecking mouth and go back to tossing yourself off in your little cot!

A lot of your posts seem unnecessarily aggressive. Are you okay?
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), August 11, 2021, 2:21pm; Reply: 206
Quoted from mariner91

A lot of your posts seem unnecessarily aggressive. Are you okay?

When someone lies about you in public, wouldn't you be a bit miffed?

Posted by: mariner91, August 11, 2021, 2:26pm; Reply: 207
Quoted from 123614

I don't think I'd tell them to "toss themselves off in a little cot" but to each their own.
Posted by: Abdul19, August 11, 2021, 2:31pm; Reply: 208
What an odd choice of phrase.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), August 11, 2021, 2:33pm; Reply: 209
I was in  the Army 14 years, we come out with some odd stuff sometimes.
Posted by: pen penfras, August 11, 2021, 2:50pm; Reply: 210
Quoted from 123614

Lies? You wrote it all yourself. Or have you changed your stance given that screwing the club out of money was universally unpopular. Your own words below:

Quoted Text
I don't care, I get to watch every single Town game live for the rest of the season, and if I want, every Premier League game too.  I have no knowledge whether it is 'legal' or not, and no, you don't have to pay a £10 match fee to iFollow

Quoted Text
I cannot afford to pay £10 for every iFollow match, so I will solve the problem anyway I can

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1580291400/s-0/

So get back in your cot you cry arsing little baby :)
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 11, 2021, 3:00pm; Reply: 211
Quoted from pen penfras

Lies? You wrote it all yourself. Or have you changed your stance given that screwing the club out of money was universally unpopular. Your own words below:

Great detective work Head Cod. Now, how are you getting on with the evidence that Paul Hurst isn't happy with his budget and disliked Padraig Amond?
Posted by: Zmariner, August 11, 2021, 3:50pm; Reply: 212
Quoted from pen penfras

Oh dear, fighting in the home end again and the season has not even started.

I think the stewards should take these two out and make them shake hands
Utm
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), August 11, 2021, 4:51pm; Reply: 213
[quote=140128]

LMFAO, screwing the club, how do you work that out?  If the club had been streaming, I would have paid for it.

I wasn't screwing the club out of money, are you stupid or something?  I have already posted that I paid for every single match streamed last season, anyway, none of your business what I spend my money on.

Posted by: geir, August 11, 2021, 5:08pm; Reply: 214
Quoted from Hants.Mariner
I have a couple of thoughts here.

Firstly, though I am not saying he is the answer, Michael Cheek would certainly be a striker to consider. When the fixture list came out, maybe Bromley said they would not consider an approach until after the first game. So could it be that there will be discussions after then? Especially since it gives our manager the opportunity to see him in a competitive game environment.

Secondly with the leagues below curtailed last season there is no obvious high scoring striker to look at based on form last year. If someone in the league below (or indeed in our league) gets off to a flyer scoring goals at will, we will be in the best position to sign them up when others have spent their cash already.

Some very good points made in this post! Maybe we are the the ones that will have the final laugh? I believe that Hurst knows what he is doing - better to wait a little and get the man that you want than to fail once more in the striking department.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, August 11, 2021, 5:32pm; Reply: 215
Quoted from 123614

Grimsby town ……….’the family club’
Posted by: monkeyboy, August 11, 2021, 5:43pm; Reply: 216
Any manager that can get lennie to score 20 goals in a season gets my vote.
Let’s face it hurst has always found a fairly prolific striker regardless if they even looked crap before(podge).  
I trust he knows who he wants and will get someone in eventually.
Look at his record for strikers at town and he’s in pretty rich vain of form for finding the gems.

I’m guessing who he brings in we may hardly have heard of before.

Don’t know what a marquee signing is? Have we had one since bonnetti? Come on really we are town not barca.
Posted by: aldi_01, August 11, 2021, 5:53pm; Reply: 217
Before PP asks, is there actually any evidence that he does indeed pull his hooter in a cot? Or is that a wild accusation like Hurst not being happy with Podge or whatever it was…
Posted by: Civvy at last, August 11, 2021, 6:02pm; Reply: 218
Quoted from aldi_01
Before PP asks, is there actually any evidence that he does indeed pull his hooter in a cot? Or is that a wild accusation like Hurst not being happy with Podge or whatever it was…

In military terms your ‘cot’ is generally your ‘bed’. So not a cot as in enclosed by safety rails etc.

And if PP (or any other adult ). Claims never to have committed such an act I would severely doubt they are telling the truth. 🤔
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 11, 2021, 6:30pm; Reply: 219
Quoted from mariner91

I don't think I'd tell them to "toss themselves off in a little cot" but to each their own.

To be accurate he suggested he go back to tossing himself in a cot, not to initiate said self-abuse.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 11, 2021, 6:32pm; Reply: 220
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Grimsby town ……….’the family club’

Shouting at each other. Being unreasonable. Fairly normal family behaviour.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, August 11, 2021, 7:39pm; Reply: 221
Bunch of male masturbators
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, August 11, 2021, 9:39pm; Reply: 222
We’re a proper bunch of fans . If you can’t fight the opposition, get stuck into each other 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Posted by: Mendonca1995, August 11, 2021, 10:19pm; Reply: 223
Anyway what’s the rumour 🤣
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, August 11, 2021, 10:39pm; Reply: 224
Rumours dead lol
Posted by: lukeo, August 12, 2021, 4:37am; Reply: 225
Well that esculated quickly...

For what it is worth if we don't win more than we lose and get into the top 7 then for me it's a failed season. I'm not saying we should be promoted at all. But I cant see why we shouldn't be comfortably within the top 7 come the end of the season.
Posted by: GtfcGarner, August 12, 2021, 7:08am; Reply: 226
We can rule out Scott Boden aswell, just signed for Boreham Wood. Fingers crossed Hurst can pull a rabbit out of the hat again.
Posted by: Garth, August 12, 2021, 9:48am; Reply: 227
Quoted from GtfcGarner
We can rule out Scott Boden aswell, just signed for Boreham Wood. Fingers crossed Hurst can pull a rabbit out of the hat again.

Hmm! The last Bunny we had wasn't that good
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 7:58am