Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, July 28, 2021, 12:34pm
Sebastian Revan 😉
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, July 28, 2021, 12:37pm; Reply: 1
So my clue yesterday was useful I hope.

I couldn’t find a song clue that mentioned the words left back, so I had to go with the Anastacia song Left Outside Alone instead.

As a left back who loves to get forward down the left, that was the best song I could find.

I’ll try to do better in future 😀😀😀
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, July 28, 2021, 12:42pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Fillipe Noche
So my clue yesterday was useful I hope.

I couldn’t find a song clue that mentioned the words left back, so I had to go with the Anastacia song Left Outside Alone instead.

As a left back who loves to get forward down the left, that was the best song I could find.

I’ll try to do better in future 😀😀😀

Let’s see how in the know you are then .. what player has had a couple of enquires about him from league 1 clubs in the last few weeks ..
Posted by: DB, July 28, 2021, 12:46pm; Reply: 3

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2021/july/revan-joins-the-mariners-on-loan/
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, July 28, 2021, 12:47pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Let’s see how in the know you are then .. what player has had a couple of enquires about him from league 1 clubs in the last few weeks ..

Absolutely no idea. I’m not going to speculate either, I only deal in information that I know about
Posted by: Abdul19, July 28, 2021, 12:55pm; Reply: 5
Great news for GTFC defender surname anagram fans.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 28, 2021, 12:58pm; Reply: 6
You can never have too many left sided players. Hope the lad is as good as they say.
Posted by: bobbyturtle, July 28, 2021, 1:11pm; Reply: 7
Welcome
Posted by: bobbyturtle, July 28, 2021, 1:11pm; Reply: 8
Welcome
Posted by: brigg_mariner, July 28, 2021, 1:30pm; Reply: 9
From the villa website:

Quoted Text
Aston Villa teenager Seb Revan has joined Grimsby Town on a season-long loan.

The 18-year-old, who can play anywhere across the back four, links up with the National League side for the 2021/22 campaign, with the club holding a recall option in January.

Revan featured prominently for Villa's Under-23 side last season as well as helping to secure an historic FA Youth Cup success.

Paul Hurst's Grimsby are looking to return to the Football League after relegation from League Two last term.

Good luck, Seb!

Quoted Text
Academy manager Mark Harrison said: “We are delighted to see Seb sign his first professional contract.

“Having been called up to an England training camp in the early part of the season, we have continued to see Seb develop and have opportunities to train with the first team.

“Signing this contract is recognition for his hard work and his development so far. We look forward to seeing how he develops in the future.”
Posted by: marinerdazza, July 28, 2021, 1:38pm; Reply: 10

I'm hoping it's someone on the list, but suspect it isn't.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, July 28, 2021, 1:47pm; Reply: 11
Lets face it Filipe does get info. Who/how/why I have no idea but he is certainly not guessing.
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 28, 2021, 1:54pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Lets face it Filipe does get info. Who/how/why I have no idea but he is certainly not guessing.

Has anyone noticed that Filipe Noche is an anagram of Steve Wraith.  ;)

Give or take a few letters.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, July 28, 2021, 2:05pm; Reply: 13

I can guess it will be Clifton or Khoury but its pure guesswork
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, July 28, 2021, 2:10pm; Reply: 14
From what I can gather, he played three times in the EFL Trophy last season, they lost all 3 against Sunderland, Fleetwood and Carlisle.

His brother Dominic is also at Villa and played for Weymouth on loan last season.

He was part of Villa's FA Youth Cup winning team, played the full 90 in the final against Liverpool and scored an own goal albeit by deflection in a 2-1 win.

Was Villa's U23 first choice left back last year and was called up to the England U18 team last October but wasn't capped as they didn't end up playing a game.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 28, 2021, 3:12pm; Reply: 15
Looks to be a good prospect, and a coup for us to get him on loan at our level.
Posted by: forza ivano, July 28, 2021, 3:14pm; Reply: 16

I'm guessing Khouri, as his agent was busy touting him around (with no success) before he signed.

Just wondered the reasoning behind this, as he's only just signed Crookes as left back and we already have Clifton and Khouri who can fill in there

Posted by: Stew0_0, July 28, 2021, 3:31pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from forza ivano

I'm guessing Khouri, as his agent was busy touting him around (with no success) before he signed.

Just wondered the reasoning behind this, as he's only just signed Crookes as left back and we already have Clifton and Khouri who can fill in there

Im guessing that Hurst sees Clifton as a first choice midfielder therefore doesn't want to waste him as a cover left back.
During the interview he says Crookes is our only left back so needed competition/cover so I'm seeing that as he sees Khouri as a wide midfielder.

Think we are just 1 striker short now and maybe an experienced cover goalkeeper then we are set.
Posted by: male private Nale, July 28, 2021, 3:37pm; Reply: 18
Come on then dapperz enlighten us
Posted by: mimma, July 28, 2021, 3:41pm; Reply: 19
I watched that youth cup final, where Villa outplayed Liverpool.  I was impressed with all the Villa players but can't remember any names. They have some serious talent at Villa park and will be a real force in a year or two.
Posted by: Son of Cod, July 28, 2021, 3:51pm; Reply: 20
From a Weymoth fan on 1FF:

"Reputed to be better than his older brother Dominic, who we had on loan last season, was at 18. Dominic was pure class for us, and a really nice lad, so that looks to be a great signing."
Posted by: thevera, July 28, 2021, 3:55pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Les Brechin

Has anyone noticed that Filipe Noche is an anagram of Steve Wraith.  ;)

Give or take a few letters.

I'm dyslexic and don't normally spot things like that but now you point it out i can see it is.
Posted by: barrattstandman, July 28, 2021, 4:20pm; Reply: 22
Maybe Rihard Kelly had good things to say about us and that also enticed the lad to come here .
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 28, 2021, 4:41pm; Reply: 23

Sebastian Ring and now Sebastian Revan   ;)

Welcome to GTFC Seb.
Posted by: moosey_club, July 28, 2021, 4:41pm; Reply: 24
Good to have dedicated left back cover rather than another filling in square peg option.
Welcome aboard !!
Posted by: RonMariner, July 28, 2021, 4:48pm; Reply: 25
A good signing as he looks a promising player who gets forward.

It also frees Clifton up as a midfielder rather than stand in full back.

Really liking the new squad.

I still think we need a goalscorer though.
Posted by: Teestogreen, July 28, 2021, 5:10pm; Reply: 26
Excellent sounding signing -  Conor Townsend the template 🤙
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, July 28, 2021, 6:42pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from thevera

I'm dyslexic and don't normally spot things like that but now you point it out i can see it is.

Me too, Noche is an anagram of Pinocchio in my world
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 28, 2021, 6:59pm; Reply: 28
Positive comments from Villa fans here.

https://www.villatalk.com/topic/21833-seb-revan/
Posted by: buckstown, July 28, 2021, 7:03pm; Reply: 29
Welcome
Hope he's as good as the last premier league claret and blue left back we had on loan. When we signed him I was lulled into thinking Holloway knew what he was doing.
Posted by: toontown, July 28, 2021, 7:29pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Les Brechin
Positive comments from Villa fans here.

https://www.villatalk.com/topic/21833-seb-revan/

Cheers for that. Sounds really promising. The way they are talking you would expect Revan to be the one more likely to line up as our LB on opening day as the other lad we have there is also very young isn't he?
Posted by: forza ivano, July 28, 2021, 8:42pm; Reply: 31
sounds really positive.interesting final comment on thread

useless

useless Rising Star
    Established Member

Posted 5 hours ago

Grimsby are managed by Paul Hurst who would have been at Shrewsbury at the same time as our Head Of Emerging Talent & Loans Adam Henshall, so I imagine that's played some part in him going there.
Posted by: MrFisherman, July 28, 2021, 8:58pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from forza ivano
sounds really positive.interesting final comment on thread

useless

useless Rising Star
    Established Member

Posted 5 hours ago

Grimsby are managed by Paul Hurst who would have been at Shrewsbury at the same time as our Head Of Emerging Talent & Loans Adam Henshall, so I imagine that's played some part in him going there.

Or Villa having Richard O Kelly and Craig Shakespeare on the Villa coaching staff could have helped both ex GTFC midfielders

Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 29, 2021, 8:21am; Reply: 33
Quoted from MrFisherman

Or Villa having Richard O Kelly and Craig Shakespeare on the Villa coaching staff could have helped both ex GTFC midfielders

It all helps. Looks like we've built a decent squad and our track record with young players the last few years is decent too.
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, July 29, 2021, 8:23am; Reply: 34
Quoted from forza ivano

I understand Crookes can play left sided Centre Half as well. So he may be cover with .Waterfall.

I assume there will be an expectation from Villa that Revan will get some game time.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 29, 2021, 9:02am; Reply: 35
Quoted from BottesfordMariner

I understand Crookes can play left sided Centre Half as well. So he may be cover with .Waterfall.

I assume there will be an expectation from Villa that Revan will get some game time.

There is a recall option in January. I guess he's here to be part of a first team squad, where 3 points are on the line and you play to win.
Posted by: smokey111, July 29, 2021, 10:06am; Reply: 36
Quoted from jamesgtfc

There is a recall option in January. I guess he's here to be part of a first team squad, where 3 points are on the line and you play to win.

They will want him in and around a first team squad getting as many minutes as he can. I often think sending a young 18/19 year old out on loan is as much to mould their character. Working day in day out with experienced pros like Macca, Pearson, Coke and Lenny will develop him as a footballer and a young man.
Posted by: Poojah, July 29, 2021, 10:21am; Reply: 37
He's very young this lad, having literally only turned 18 a fortnight ago, but I suspect he's come here to play games. I think we may look back on this signing as something as a coup, as we did with Conor Townsend (not to heap on the pressure too much).

Irrespective of his age, he's been an integral part of a very successful Villa under-23s who recently won the FA Youth Cup. He's a part of the England youth set-up. His pedigree is very, very good to be dropping down to this level.

Generally speaking, Hurst's loan signings from the higher divisions have tended to be pretty strong (Townsend and Henderson the standouts) whilst he's also proven over the years that he knows how to pick a full-back - Townsend (again), Magnay, Tait, Robertson, with some honourable mentions along the way like Aswad Thomas. Just don't mention Jamal Fyfield...

Like most I would imagine, I hadn't heard of Revan prior to yesterday, but all of the evidence points to this being a cracking loan signing and I expect him to play a big part this coming season.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 29, 2021, 10:31am; Reply: 38
I would guess that this signing is to cover several positions between 2 or 3 or 4 players on the left side. Hurst will also be hoping that all these players can deliver a decent overlap and cross which we have been lacking for a season or more.

Let’s hope the lad gets game time and not just dribs and drabs as a sub, he has the pedigree.
Posted by: Mariner93er, July 29, 2021, 10:50am; Reply: 39
Hurst doesn’t tend to delve into the loan market too much (did we have one loan player on the pitch when we won at Wembley?), and I suspect he only does so when he’s convinced they’ll make an impact. Looks an exciting prospect.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 29, 2021, 10:53am; Reply: 40
I would guess that this signing is to cover several positions between 2 or 3 or 4 players on the left side. Hurst will also be hoping that all these players can deliver a decent overlap and cross which we have been lacking for a season or more.

Let’s hope the lad gets game time and not just dribs and drabs as a sub, he has the pedigree.

The game is a tactical battle more than ever now and he who exploits the opposition weaknesses and nullifies their strengths the best will win. I imagine there will games or periods in games where we play 3 at the back, need a more old fashioned full back to "keep us shape" on one side or both (Sears/Crookes) or need a more attack minded full back (Efete/Revan)
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 29, 2021, 10:57am; Reply: 41
Quoted from Mariner93er
Hurst doesn’t tend to delve into the loan market too much (did we have one loan player on the pitch when we won at Wembley?), and I suspect he only does so when he’s convinced they’ll make an impact. Looks an exciting prospect.

Pat Hoban is the only one I can think of off the top of my head and he only came on for the last few minutes.
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, July 29, 2021, 11:10am; Reply: 42
Quoted from Mariner93er

In terms of Hurst loanees, everyone mentions Townsend and Henderson, but the other resounding success, admittedly non-Town, is Ben Godfrey who he took from Norwich to Shrewsbury. All three of those featured heavily in the Prem last season, and two of them got England caps ;-)
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 29, 2021, 11:33am; Reply: 43
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

In terms of Hurst loanees, everyone mentions Townsend and Henderson, but the other resounding success, admittedly non-Town, is Ben Godfrey who he took from Norwich to Shrewsbury. All three of those featured heavily in the Prem last season, and two of them got England caps ;-)

Nielson and Hannah initially came on successful loan spells. Nathan Arnold was a loan signing for his first season. They may not have gone on to bigger things but they came in on loan and proved to be decent signings.

Whilst not a huge success here, Kayden Jackson has gone on to have a decent career. Shaun Tuton on the other hand disappeared into non-league.
Posted by: thefish, July 29, 2021, 12:01pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Les Brechin

Pat Hoban is the only one I can think of off the top of my head and he only came on for the last few minutes.

And so very nearly went down in Town folklore…
Posted by: Posh Harry, July 29, 2021, 1:28pm; Reply: 45
Villa supporting mate says good prospect, good pace, can play LB or LCB, likes to get forward and good crosser of the ball.
Posted by: forza ivano, July 29, 2021, 2:47pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

Good point, and theres 2 or 3 others he took on loan to Shrewsbury who are now playing premiership or championship footie
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 12:09pm