Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: GhostDan, July 23, 2021, 1:32pm
Signs for Wrexham.. reportedly turning down Championship & League One moves.  He must love Wales!  
Posted by: DB, July 23, 2021, 1:39pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from GhostDan
Signs for Wrexham.. reportedly turning down Championship & League One moves.  He must love Wales!  

Or money! ;)

Posted by: ska face, July 23, 2021, 1:44pm; Reply: 2
Just ask Salford and Forest Green circa 2010-2016 if chucking money at players guarantees promotion.

Just needs booting into the Findus in the first minute. Worries over.
Posted by: FrazerGTFC, July 23, 2021, 1:47pm; Reply: 3
Lets hope Hurst Has A good striker lined up or we may be in trouble!
Posted by: Barrattstander, July 23, 2021, 2:01pm; Reply: 4
Shaun Pearson joining us must have freed up a lot of money in their salary budget ! ;)
Posted by: headingly_mariner, July 23, 2021, 2:10pm; Reply: 5
He has always looked a good player but I do wonder if his finishing improved so much due to a lack of pressure from the fans. Granted it’s a very good signing.  
Posted by: GtfcGarner, July 23, 2021, 2:13pm; Reply: 6
Individuals don't win leagues sadly, if it doesn't work out for him in his first year then it will all be curtains. I've heard a wage mentioned north of £5,000 a week for 3 years. Let's build a togetherness where all our players are side by side.
Posted by: GhostDan, July 23, 2021, 2:14pm; Reply: 7
I'm sure he'll do pretty well as he's clearly a decent player - the flip side is he played in a very very good Cambridge side, who created him plenty of changes to hit the onion bag.   Going to be interesting to see how this plays out
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 23, 2021, 2:14pm; Reply: 8
*Mullin.
Posted by: 140381 (Guest), July 23, 2021, 2:26pm; Reply: 9
Phil Parkinson will get the best out of him, I’m sure  :X
Posted by: darren9, July 23, 2021, 2:32pm; Reply: 10
#announcebogle
Posted by: LH, July 23, 2021, 2:33pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Les Brechin
*Mullin.

No - they’ve accidentally signed Lee’s brother. Fenty loaned them some expertise after the success of the Makofo signing.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, July 23, 2021, 2:34pm; Reply: 12
34 goals is impressive but some context...

He took 12 penalties. He scored 9 of them & scored from a rebound for 1 of the 3 he missed. So 10 penalty goals.

There's a video on Youtube of his 34 goals last season & a lot of clever through balls and slide rule passes (Wes Hoolahan is at Cambridge pulling the strings) gave him 1 on 1 chances against goalkeepers.

Despite their increased budget will Wrexham be able to assemble a team that can provide the sort of chances he had at Cambridge?

He will be a good signing. I would be surprised if he doesn't score 15-20 goals from open play plus any he scores from penalties (if he's on them), but I don't think it's a game changer. Leagues are won by teams and Wrexham are a long way short of having a scary looking squad as things stand with 4 weeks until kick-off.
Posted by: pizzzza, July 23, 2021, 2:56pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from DB

Or money! ;)

Or sheep!
Posted by: RichMariner, July 23, 2021, 3:03pm; Reply: 14
He had a Podge of a season for Cambridge!

God knows what they must have offered him to tempt him into non-league when he looked set to have a decent career in the Football League.

It's always a gamble giving players a three-year deal. We gave one to Hearn and we only really got one good season out of him because of injuries (and I don't think he'd have been on loads).

What would Wrexham think if Mullin does his ACL in the first game?
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 23, 2021, 3:11pm; Reply: 15
Yeah, not one to worry about for me.

I think Golly sums it up nicely.  Decent player but hugely benefitted from having a genuine game changer behind in Hoolahan who was by a country mile the best player in League Two last season.

Yeah you've gotta take the chances and be in the right places etc. But he won't have a Hoolahan quality player in the Wrexham side this season teeing him up.  

Guess location had a factor to play and I completely get that players have a short career and quite rightly they want to make the best of it for themselves.  But dropping down two levels after a season where you break records with your goalscoring....
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 23, 2021, 3:15pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from GtfcGarner
Individuals don't win leagues sadly, if it doesn't work out for him in his first year then it will all be curtains. I've heard a wage mentioned north of £5,000 a week for 3 years. Let's build a togetherness where all our players are side by side.

Not good for team spirit. Pearson was captain there and one hour away from signing. I appreciate everyone doesn't get paid the same but when someone is on that much and the core of the squad is on 4-5x less it's a recipe for disaster.
Posted by: quebec38, July 23, 2021, 3:38pm; Reply: 17
Individuals don’t win leagues and spending money doesn’t guarantee success but you can’t deny this is likely to be the biggest signing in Div 5 this season by a long way.

This guy has just scored 32 goals in one season in the league above and been voted the best player in that division. You would be forgiven then for thinking he’s probably at least League One standard yet he’s just dropped down a division.

Money talks. Most other clubs probably can’t compete in the NL but there’s no shame in that as frustrating as it is.

Interesting to see what next for Wrexham.
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 23, 2021, 3:44pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from quebec38
Individuals don’t win leagues and spending money doesn’t guarantee success but you can’t deny this is likely to be the biggest signing in Div 5 this season by a long way.

This guy has just scored 32 goals in one season in the league above and been voted the best player in that division. You would be forgiven then for thinking he’s probably at least League One standard yet he’s just dropped down a division.

Money talks. Most other clubs probably can’t compete in the NL but there’s no shame in that as frustrating as it is.

Interesting to see what next for Wrexham.

He's dropped down 2 divisions really seeing that Cambridge would be in League One this coming season.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, July 23, 2021, 3:57pm; Reply: 19
From what I can see other than Mullin Wrexham have signed a player who couldn't get a game at Morecambe, a player who was in out and out of the team at Port Vale before being binned off by Darryl Clarke, a centre back from Southend who hardly got a game for them in back-to-back relegation seasons & a 31-year-old from Halifax.

Mullin is their only high profile signing.
Posted by: Gaffer58, July 23, 2021, 4:03pm; Reply: 20
With the Hollywood chaps owning them and they have an Amazon documentary being done I assume their yearly turnover is going up, hence they can spend more, out of interest is there a salary cap in division 5?
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 23, 2021, 4:32pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Gaffer58
With the Hollywood chaps owning them and they have an Amazon documentary being done I assume their yearly turnover is going up, hence they can spend more, out of interest is there a salary cap in division 5?

I might be wrong but I'm sure it was mentioned on here that the salary cap comes into force next season (2022/23)
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 23, 2021, 4:40pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Les Brechin

I might be wrong but I'm sure it was mentioned on here that the salary cap comes into force next season (2022/23)

National League clubs voted to introduce a salary cap a few weeks ago...

https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/national-league-clubs-vote-to-introduce-salary-caps-3293705
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, July 23, 2021, 4:40pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from GollyGTFC
From what I can see other than Mullin Wrexham have signed a player who couldn't get a game at Morecambe, a player who was in out and out of the team at Port Vale before being binned off by Darryl Clarke, a centre back from Southend who hardly got a game for them in back-to-back relegation seasons & a 31-year-old from Halifax.

Mullin is their only high profile signing.

Never underestimate an old lad from Halifax.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, July 23, 2021, 4:42pm; Reply: 24
There's a lot of assumption about Wrexham's budget (understandably so) but has anyone heard anything about what kind of sums the new owners are putting into the club?
Posted by: aldi_01, July 23, 2021, 4:43pm; Reply: 25

Never underestimate an old lad from Halifax.

To be fair, you’ve got a point, remember that little Irish bloke who couldn’t get a game at Morecambe? He didn’t do too bad.

No doubt Wrexham have some cash but as we know, that doesn’t mean anything in the conference…
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, July 23, 2021, 4:47pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from aldi_01

To be fair, you’ve got a point, remember that little Irish bloke who couldn’t get a game at Morecambe? He didn’t do too bad.

No doubt Wrexham have some cash but as we know, that doesn’t mean anything in the conference…

There was also a washed up has been who came from Canada.
Posted by: aldi_01, July 23, 2021, 4:50pm; Reply: 27

There was also a washed up has been who came from Canada.

Agreed, the list is endless…clubs are our level often benefit from these players yet we still sort of mock others for picking them up…is it just part of being a football fan or is it just blindness to anything other then your own club?
Posted by: Bigdog, July 23, 2021, 4:59pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from aldi_01

No doubt Wrexham have some cash but as we know, that doesn’t mean anything in the conference

Looking at the past ten seasons, there's probably been around a 40% promotion success rate for the club with the largest playing budget, the likes of Salford, Crawley, Fleetwood, Luton, Mansfield, Bristol Rovers, FGR etc. It doesn't guarantee anything, but it certainly helps.. Man City must be the perfect example of how to buy success..
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 23, 2021, 5:04pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from promotion plaice

National League clubs voted to introduce a salary cap a few weeks ago...

https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/national-league-clubs-vote-to-introduce-salary-caps-3293705

That article does say from the start of the 2022/23 season.

Quoted Text
An ordinary resolution was voted in favour of by member clubs to introduce a salary cap from the 2022-23 season (the National League's minutes did not state amounts although it has been reported the suggested figures will be £900k per year for each Step One club and £540k per Step Two club).
Posted by: DB, July 23, 2021, 5:33pm; Reply: 30
It doesn't matter who they sign, or how much they pay them. They need players to gel as a team and, if it's true he's on 5k then many of the others won't be pleased. Parkinson started off with a reasonable track record but has not been good lately.
Posted by: moosey_club, July 23, 2021, 5:46pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Bigdog

Looking at the past ten seasons, there's probably been around a 40% promotion success rate for the club with the largest playing budget, the likes of Salford, Crawley, Fleetwood, Luton, Mansfield, Bristol Rovers, FGR etc. It doesn't guarantee anything, but it certainly helps.. Man City must be the perfect example of how to buy success..

Blackburn the real first modern big spenders in my mind, Fulham rose with Al Fayeds money, then Chelsea who were probably the first modern era longer term success buyers now eclipsed by Man City.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, July 23, 2021, 7:35pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from moosey_club

Blackburn the real first modern big spenders in my mind, Fulham rose with Al Fayeds money, then Chelsea who were probably the first modern era longer term success buyers now eclipsed by Man City.

You missed out Arsenal’s spending from the mid-90s. Often overlooked because they are a traditional club but they spent a lot of money on players before winning the EPL in 97/98…

£2.5m - John Hartson
£2.3m - Glenn Helder
£7.5m - Dennis Bergkamp
£4.75 - David Platt
£3.5m - Patrick Vieira
£2m - Matthew Upson
£2.5m - Gilles Grimaldi
£2.5m - Emmanuel Petit
£1.75m - Luis Boa Morte
£7m - Marc Overmars

That’s £36m of spending in 3 years before you add on cheap buys like Anelka. A lot more than Blackburn spent in the preceding 3 years.

Posted by: coddy60, July 23, 2021, 8:01pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from GollyGTFC

You missed out Arsenal’s spending from the mid-90s. Often overlooked because they are a traditional club but they spent a lot of money on players before winning the EPL in 97/98…

£2.5m - John Hartson
£2.3m - Glenn Helder
£7.5m - Dennis Bergkamp
£4.75 - David Platt
£3.5m - Patrick Vieira
£2m - Matthew Upson
£2.5m - Gilles Grimaldi
£2.5m - Emmanuel Petit
£1.75m - Luis Boa Morte
£7m - Marc Overmars

That’s £36m of spending in 3 years before you add on cheap buys like Anelka. A lot more than Blackburn spent in the preceding 3 years.

It's a fair amount of spending for those days, but jesus they got good value from the ones quoted!

Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, July 23, 2021, 8:10pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from coddy60

I was about to say that.

Keane was exceptional but 3 years on from his transfer to Man U, Arsenal signed Vieira and Petit combined for less money.
Posted by: Poojah, July 23, 2021, 8:37pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from coddy60
It's a fair amount of spending for those days, but jesus they got good value from the ones quoted!

Absolutely. What a player Gilles Grimandi was.

Posted by: coddy60, July 23, 2021, 8:56pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Poojah

Absolutely. What a player Gilles Grimandi was.

Very fair point, well presented 🤪
Posted by: VinnyGTFC, July 23, 2021, 8:57pm; Reply: 37
I read a lot of people trying to convince themselves it isn't a phenomenal signing..
Posted by: Abdul19, July 23, 2021, 9:08pm; Reply: 38
Justice finally, that the signing of Glenn Helder is no longer being overlooked.

Also, Luis Boa Morte was once in an episode of Grange Hill.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, July 23, 2021, 9:47pm; Reply: 39

I was about to say that.

Keane was exceptional but 3 years on from his transfer to Man U, Arsenal signed Vieira and Petit combined for less money.

No they didn’t.

Vieira & Petit cost a combined £6m. Roy Keane cost Man Utd a British transfer record £3.75m.

Premier League titles…

Keane 🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Vieira 🏆🏆🏆
Petit 🏆
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, July 23, 2021, 10:24pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from GollyGTFC

No they didn’t.

Vieira & Petit cost a combined £6m. Roy Keane cost Man Utd a British transfer record £3.75m.

Premier League titles…

Keane 🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Vieira 🏆🏆🏆
Petit 🏆

You’re quite right. Not sure what I was looking at.
Posted by: toontown, July 24, 2021, 8:43pm; Reply: 41
To be fair we'd all be creaming ourselves if we had done what Wrexham have...
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, July 24, 2021, 8:59pm; Reply: 42
I think its a great signing for Wrexham, they must have pulled all stops with the wages, who knows he might score 30 or 40 like Amond did for us, or it might just go all shite and score about 10.

I think he should have at the very least stuck with Cambridge, he already had players around him to have the chance to score more goals. Regardless of the money, just makes me think Mullins doesn't have any confidence in his ability to play at a higher level, especially when you look at his previous scoring record, if he did he would reap more rewards being more successful in League One.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 24, 2021, 11:44pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
I think its a great signing for Wrexham, they must have pulled all stops with the wages, who knows he might score 30 or 40 like Amond did for us, or it might just go all shite and score about 10.

I think he should have at the very least stuck with Cambridge, he already had players around him to have the chance to score more goals. Regardless of the money, just makes me think Mullins doesn't have any confidence in his ability to play at a higher level, especially when you look at his previous scoring record, if he did he would reap more rewards being more successful in League One.

Presumably he’s playing it safe. Guaranteed 3 years good money at Wrexham in the Conference where he’s likely to score lots, versus the possibility of better money/failure in League One.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, July 24, 2021, 11:48pm; Reply: 44
The gamble of a lower league footballer with a family summed up perfectly. Don’t blame him tbh . I’d do the same I think .
Posted by: HertsGTFC, July 25, 2021, 10:49am; Reply: 45
I wonder if we’ll see Wrexham strengthen the squad around him to the same level?
Posted by: Abdul19, July 25, 2021, 10:55am; Reply: 46
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Mullins

Can't call him that until he signs for us  ;)
Print page generated: May 7, 2024, 9:34pm