Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 19, 2021, 9:29pm
I see the club has put out a statement saying the above under the guise of health and safety.

If anybody is that worried to wear a mask in an outdoor setting then let them, but why are the rest of us being encouraged?

All they have done is sow the seeds of doubt that here we go again, another season that will be different / disrupted.

Posted by: LH, July 19, 2021, 9:35pm; Reply: 1
Looks a lot like the club saying be comfortable with your freedom of choice to go either masked or maskless to me. Plenty of former staff who should have worn masks at BP!
Posted by: fishboyUTM, July 19, 2021, 9:39pm; Reply: 2
Fine, I won't as unless you have a N95 mask, in fact several of them then the fabric ones people wear are as much use as a chocolate fireguard. If people want to wear their comfort blanket then fine, but not for me.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, July 19, 2021, 9:41pm; Reply: 3
I see the club has put out a statement saying the above under the guise of health and safety.

If anybody is that worried to wear a mask in an outdoor setting then let them, but why are the rest of us being encouraged?

All they have done is sow the seeds of doubt that here we go again, another season that will be different / disrupted.

Remember there will be staff and fellow fans who may not have had their second jab or, like me, won’t be fully protected from the second dose yet.

Plus not all of Blundell Park is outdoors.
Posted by: MarinerRob, July 19, 2021, 9:41pm; Reply: 4
The wearing of masks helps to protect others which, to me, is a good enough reason to wear them. I wouldn't know if other people were more at risk or were unable to have a vaccine.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 19, 2021, 9:42pm; Reply: 5

Do you honestly think the season will pass without fans being banned from attending at some point?

Patrick Vallance said today that 40% of hospitalisations are vaccinated people which to me, means that those vaccines we were assured would put an end to all of this, won't put an end to all of this.

It will be interesting to see what happens to admissions and deaths over the next few weeks but don't hold your breath on being able to attend all 22 home games.
Posted by: Hagrid, July 19, 2021, 9:43pm; Reply: 6
Christ another typical OTT Reaction from you

If someone wants to continue to wear a mask so be it

If someone does not wish too so be it

The club are not making it compulsory, get on with your life the way you want to live it and allow others to do the same
Posted by: Chrisblor, July 19, 2021, 9:43pm; Reply: 7
Get over it you massive snowflake, you don't have to wear one if you don't want to.
Posted by: Stadium, July 19, 2021, 9:48pm; Reply: 8

Odd viewpoint.
It's entirely a personal decision as there is no legal requirement anymore.
Even when there was one the exemptions were paper thin & could never be verified & enforced?
Most clubs will put out a generic message very similar,don't really see an issue at all.
Posted by: LH, July 19, 2021, 9:52pm; Reply: 9
*moaned for months about wanting personal responsibility*

[the day comes where personal responsibility takes over]

*moans about personal responsibility*
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 19, 2021, 10:00pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Stadium

Odd viewpoint.
It's entirely a personal decision as there is no legal requirement anymore.
Even when there was one the exemptions were paper thin & could never be verified & enforced?
Most clubs will put out a generic message very similar,don't really see an issue at all.

The statement reads: The Health and safety of GTFC staff and supporters is of paramount importance and therefore supporters are encouraged to  wear a face-covering when attending upcoming matches."

Obviously, I agree with you there is no legal requirement so why are we being "encouraged" to wear one?

Everybody will make up their own minds dependent on their viewpoint.

Posted by: aldi_01, July 19, 2021, 10:00pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Do you honestly think the season will pass without fans being banned from attending at some point?

Patrick Vallance said today that 40% of hospitalisations are vaccinated people which to me, means that those vaccines we were assured would put an end to all of this, won't put an end to all of this.

It will be interesting to see what happens to admissions and deaths over the next few weeks but don't hold your breath on being able to attend all 22 home games.

Vallance can get to intercourse though…telling folk to wear a mask in busy places then nipping to the Wimbledon final and not wearing one…

There’s no reason to lock things down again, anyone still believing the numbers we’re given surely has to have a sense of naivety given we know they’ve been twisting them throughout.

The statement from the club is no different to supermarkets and the like…if you wanna wear one, do. If you don’t then again, don’t.

Whatever people choose, so long as they don’t cast aspersions on those doing the opposite to them we’ll be fine.

I couldn’t give a excrement either way…I just wanna be back in BP…
Posted by: Morris Minor, July 19, 2021, 10:09pm; Reply: 12
Might as well stick a panty liner on your face, masks do not work. True!
:X :X :X :X :X :X :X :X
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 19, 2021, 10:10pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from LH
*moaned for months about wanting personal responsibility*

[the day comes where personal responsibility takes over]

*moans about personal responsibility*

I think you are missing the point. We are being "encouraged" to wear one at forthcoming matches. Why???

The statement needn't have been made; there are no legal requirements so why use that wording? People are free to do as they please and the statement was completely unnecessary.
Posted by: Offshore Mariner, July 19, 2021, 10:11pm; Reply: 14
More likely to catch it from touching the turnstiles, or even before a match at a pub and a chippy on way home. However I think the club still have to be seen as encouraging people to wear masks in whatever setting it is (indoors or out). I'm not in a risk category, fairly young and double jabbed, I don't want to be Ill and certainly don't want to be passing it on to people I see and work with.

It would be nice for us to concentrate on supporting the side than wasting energy on arguing about this.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 19, 2021, 10:16pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from aldi_01

Vallance can get to intercourse though…telling folk to wear a mask in busy places then nipping to the Wimbledon final and not wearing one…

There’s no reason to lock things down again, anyone still believing the numbers we’re given surely has to have a sense of naivety given we know they’ve been twisting them throughout.

The statement from the club is no different to supermarkets and the like…if you wanna wear one, do. If you don’t then again, don’t.

Whatever people choose, so long as they don’t cast aspersions on those doing the opposite to them we’ll be fine.

I couldn’t give a excrement either way…I just wanna be back in BP…

Your first paragraph is what winds the public up.

Ultimately NHS capacity will dictate whether we do or don't get locked down again but I do think we will get locked down again very soon. The concerning thing for me isn't necessarily Covid but cancers getting missed because GPs are petrified of seeing patients, the NHS backlog getting seemingly infinite, an escalating mental health problem with what seems like increased suicides, kids growing up uneducated, the mammoth of all recessions once furlough ends and the repossessions that follow.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 19, 2021, 10:17pm; Reply: 16

I'm all for wearing face masks but I draw the line at this...

[img]https://di2ponv0v5otw.cloudfront.net/posts/2020/10/01/5f768b83920786ffec25a8ed/m_5f768baecb692cb8715b7182.jpg[/img]
Posted by: jonnyboy82, July 19, 2021, 10:19pm; Reply: 17
I believe in everyones opinion and belief on this is valid, now restrictions have lifted there is no legal requirement but that doesn't mean i won't respect the person who chooses to wear a mask and give space to others when possible

I respect the people who want to wear one but in turn i hope they respect my wishes and the fact i won't be wearing a mask.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, July 19, 2021, 10:26pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from jamesgtfc

The concerning thing for me isn't necessarily Covid but cancers getting missed because GPs are petrified of seeing patients, the NHS backlog getting seemingly infinite, an escalating mental health problem with what seems like increased suicides

My understanding from the studies into pandemic suicide rates in the UK is that there has been a drop in suicide rates, if anything.

Historically, difficult periods such as war or disease tend to lead to less people taking their own life. People are more likely to commit suicide when they see the rest of society prospering.

Long term suicide rates are likely to be go up because of further pressures on funding social care etc.
Posted by: ska face, July 19, 2021, 10:29pm; Reply: 19

I think you are missing the point. We are being "encouraged" to wear one at forthcoming matches. Why???

The statement needn't have been made; there are no legal requirements so why use that wording? People are free to do as they please and the statement was completely unnecessary.

Do you understand the meaning of the word “encourage”?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 19, 2021, 10:35pm; Reply: 20

My understanding from the studies into pandemic suicide rates in the UK is that there has been a drop in suicide rates, if anything.

Historically, difficult periods such as war or disease tend to lead to less people taking their own life. People are more likely to commit suicide when they see the rest of society prospering.

Long term suicide rates are likely to be go up because of further pressures on funding social care etc.

Fair enough, I don't know if it's because I'm more aware of it now or what but I do seem to have read about it lot more and knowing people who know those that have committed suicide over the last 18 months. I've also noticed the last few months that a lot of long-term relationships and marriages seem to have broken down.

Again, not a study I've read, just an observation I've seen.
Posted by: GrimRob, July 19, 2021, 10:37pm; Reply: 21
Don't need to wear one all the time. Not when you are in your seat, but half time on the toilet/refreshments visit would seem sensible.

Restrictions probably will be ramped up at some point but outdoor football matches will be down the pecking order I reckon, especially non-league ones.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, July 19, 2021, 10:38pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Fair enough, I don't know if it's because I'm more aware of it now or what but I do seem to have read about it lot more and knowing people who know those that have committed suicide over the last 18 months. I've also noticed the last few months that a lot of long-term relationships and marriages seem to have broken down.

Again, not a study I've read, just an observation I've seen.

Yes. I agree with you that post pandemic mental health problems are likely to grow into an even greater issue than they were pre-pandemic.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 19, 2021, 10:41pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I think the actual claim by the experts was that it is the best tool we have. Not that it will end it. Politicians like Johnson have been claiming it will put an end to it. He’s oversold it.

The reason 40% of hospitalisations are for people who have been vaccinated is because the overwhelming majority of older people have been vaccinated. And the risk of getting seriously ill rise exponentially with age. An otherwise healthy 60 year old is 30 times more at risk than at risk than a healthy 20 year old. Getting double-jabbed reduces your risk to a 20th. So that vaccinated 60 year old  is still 1.5 times as likely to be hospitalised as the unvaccinated 20 year old is.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 19, 2021, 10:44pm; Reply: 24
When did wearing a mask help you get 3 points on a Saturday
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, July 19, 2021, 10:50pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Politicians like Johnson have been claiming it will put an end to it. He’s oversold it.

“Me? The 13th Duke of de Pfeffelpiffle? Here? In a sixth form girl's dormitory? At three o'clock in the morning? With my reputation? What were they thinking of?”
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 19, 2021, 10:52pm; Reply: 26

“Me? The 13th Duke of de Pfeffelpiffle? Here? In a sixth form girl's dormitory? At three o'clock in the morning? With my reputation? What were they thinking of?”

You should write for Dead Ringers 😆

Wah wah!
Posted by: Harry Haddock, July 20, 2021, 12:57am; Reply: 27
The way I see it is, lots of businesses are now saying you are "encouraged" to wear a mask, because they would like you to do so but they can no longer enforce it. Just because the PM makes stupid decisions, it doesn't we all have to.

If it means protecting fellow Mariners, I'll be happy to wear one
Posted by: GYinScuntland, July 20, 2021, 2:06am; Reply: 28
I wonder how long it will be until it's against the rules to wear a mask in your local branch of Lloyds bank.
Posted by: Grimsby2012, July 20, 2021, 3:31am; Reply: 29

Remember there will be staff and fellow fans who may not have had their second jab or, like me, won’t be fully protected from the second dose yet.

Plus not all of Blundell Park is outdoors.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the statement "Fully protected" incorrect?

You can still get covid with both jabs
Posted by: Mayaman, July 20, 2021, 4:15am; Reply: 30
Quoted from fishboyUTM
Fine, I won't as unless you have a N95 mask, in fact several of them then the fabric ones people wear are as much use as a chocolate fireguard. If people want to wear their comfort blanket then fine, but not for me.

It's not to proetect you as much as protect somebody else if you have it but as yet do not show symptoms.  Of course, nothing is 100% but it's to minimize the spread.  
Posted by: Mayaman, July 20, 2021, 4:16am; Reply: 31
Quoted from Morris Minor
Might as well stick a panty liner on your face, masks do not work. True!
:X :X :X :X :X :X :X :X

If the cap fits.....
Posted by: Mayaman, July 20, 2021, 4:22am; Reply: 32
Buy a Town mask and help the club at the same time.  Everyone's a winner.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 20, 2021, 4:40am; Reply: 33
Quoted from Mayaman

If the cap fits.....

😂
Posted by: Davec, July 20, 2021, 7:05am; Reply: 34
Vaccinations are not infallible, no vaccines are but they do reduce the risk of being hospitalised and dying not totally eliminate it. It is everybody's personal choice if they wear a mask or not and that is basically what the club said, they need to be seen to be encouraging it and that's what they have done. As for another lockdown, we can't keep on locking down every so often forever, eventually we need to learn to live with it and after Boris Johnson dubbed this unlocking as irreversible then there is a real risk that the public won't pay attention to newly imposed restrictions which will make them less effective. We simply can't live a life full of Lockdowns every so often.
Posted by: aldi_01, July 20, 2021, 7:08am; Reply: 35
Why is everyone obsessed with lockdowns?

They’ve hardly been super effective…just keep everything open and crack on.

If folk wanna wear a mask who gives a excrement? Same for those of us who don’t, crack on and see you all at Bromley…
Posted by: TAGG, July 20, 2021, 8:13am; Reply: 36
Talking of masks, there was a report that a man Wearing a male private Turpin mask was spotted driving away from BP in a Mercedes car with over 2 million pounds stuffed in the boot some time in May.

I'll get me coat  ;)
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, July 20, 2021, 8:27am; Reply: 37
I’ll wear a mask and see how it goes moving forward
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 20, 2021, 8:38am; Reply: 38
I was in non-league grounds accepting fans last season and they were as safe as you wanted them to be. You can't stop people crowding together and making noise but those that wanted to keep their distance could also keep their distance.

At the full time whistle, if you want to avoid people, just hang back for 5 minutes.

I wonder if the club have thought about providing an area of unreserved seating for those who still wish to keep their distance.
Posted by: MarinerMal, July 20, 2021, 8:46am; Reply: 39
IMO we should still be wearing masks, indoors at least.

However, if most people are not going to wear a mask there is little point in actually wearing one. As some people have pointed out most mask are not very effective at protecting the wearer. However, masks do help as stopping the spread from you to others. The range at which droplets, which could potentially contain the virus, can carry is vastly reduce by wearing a mask. Mask are also more effective at that indoors. The risk of spread outdoors is much reduced.

I disagree with dropping all the protective measure, I don't think wearing a mask in enclosed environments was that much of a hardship and think we could have kept them, while we kept an eye on the figures.
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 20, 2021, 9:17am; Reply: 40
I'm not really saying I agree or disagree with this stance but when watching the Euro games at Wembley I saw very few people wearing masks and that was in crowds of well over 10 times we get at BP.
Posted by: golfer, July 20, 2021, 9:29am; Reply: 41
I will be wearing a mask - and hope the club will be doing their part by providing abundant hand sanitizers throughout the ground. Every little helps.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, July 20, 2021, 9:32am; Reply: 42
I went to the cricket at Trent Bridge on Friday which was a full house and similarly they recommended the use whilst moving about. Ultimately it was down to personal discretion so when I was in busier, less ventilated areas like the toilets or queues for food and drink I slipped one on and when I was stood with just my kids with space and ventilation I took it off. Not that difficult or complicated is it?
Posted by: RichMariner, July 20, 2021, 10:00am; Reply: 43
Why are we (as a society) so quick to search for a reason to feel oppressed?

It's not like the club is asking you to do something that causes you pain. It was just polite encouragement to think about your fellow Town fans.

God knows we've all been desperate to watch some proper football. I understand why some fans think those who feel vulnerable shouldn't attend, but can't we just be kind to one another?

I can't go at the weekend but if I could I'd wear a mask. It's not hard, is it? We can debate its effectiveness until the cows come home but if it helps others and allows them to feel safe at a football match then surely that's worth whatever 'pain' wearing a mask inflicts on you.

The masks, the vaccines, the isolations and lockdowns... it's always been about protecting each other. Just because we've had this 'freedom day' it seems like people have taken it as a green light to act selfish again.

I'm not trying to deny people freedom of choice. If you don't want to wear a mask, that's your decision. But you can't try and claim you're thinking of other people here - just yourself.
Posted by: jimgtfc, July 20, 2021, 10:11am; Reply: 44
I’m fine with people wearing a mask at the match if they want to, and that’s what it should be now individual choice. I just hope that any mask wearers don’t start taking the moral high ground and verbally abusing non mask wearers like I’ve witnessed twice already since the restrictions were lifted.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, July 20, 2021, 10:18am; Reply: 45
I am quite happy for people to wear a mask or not wear one, but what I would like to see is people respecting other peoples personal space. Leaning in front of me in supermarkets, and breathing down the back of my neck in a queue is unacceptable at all times, pandemic or no pandemic.
Posted by: marinerdazza, July 20, 2021, 10:19am; Reply: 46
Thank god it’ll soon be October so we can start arguing about poppies.

Posted by: ska face, July 20, 2021, 10:23am; Reply: 47
Quoted from marinerdazza
Thank god it’ll soon be October so we can start arguing about poppies.

Think it’s been decided that politics should be left out of football.

Another victory for James McClean.
Posted by: Mariner_09, July 20, 2021, 10:36am; Reply: 48
I think they would be disproportionate at football grounds. The virus barely transmits outdoors and the studies have shown that the games themselves (such as the Liverpool-Athletico one) weren't the super spreaders but the planes, trains and buses getting them to the ground and then people congregating in the pub before and after the game were.

However, masks predominately protect others around you and not yourself, thus leaving it up to personal choice seems a little strange. Conversely, all the major studies demonstrated the unless masks are tightly fitted, washed or disposed of after every use and not touched they are about as much use as a chocolate tea pot. They get coverage because they are the most visible part of this pandemic now but ventilation and particularly vaccination are much more important.
Posted by: quebec38, July 20, 2021, 11:46am; Reply: 49
I don’t want to wear a mask but feel like I should if it helps make the more vulnerable around me feel more comfortable/safe. There are a lot of elderly people around who will want to continue going to the football and I wouldn’t want to make them think twice about attending so I will keep my mask on.

The only thing I will say to those that want to keep a mask on is, surely things won’t ever get better than they are now so if you don’t want to take the leap and remove your masks now, then when will you? If a double vaccine won’t prevent you getting the virus then what will? It’s a sad state of affairs.

Not for or against anyone wearing masks now, just hope people are respectful to one another and we are all able to enjoy the game in safety and comfort.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, July 20, 2021, 11:50am; Reply: 50
Of course things will get better than they are now. Rates of infection are very high currently but they won't always be. I am remaining pretty cautious as rates where I am are approaching 500 per 100k and I only had my 2nd jab last Thursday. Once we're through this wave, infection rates are lower and more people are double vaccinated then I'll be less cautious.
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 20, 2021, 11:54am; Reply: 51
Feels a bit Groundhog Day on this subject but the NHS is feeling the pinch to say the least.  Anyone who is convinced that the pandemic is over is, sadly, very very mistaken.  I say that with a very heavy heart as no-one wants a return to 'normality' more than myself.

Personally I think the decision around the whole 'Freedom Day' is ridiculous.  At the point when cases are rising, hospital admissions and pressures on the NHS are increasing we shouldn't be taking our eye off the ball, I'm not just including the wearing of masks either.  But that's not the point, the point is that the decision was made that rules are relaxed.  

What absolutely astounds me is that the club are saying, quite clearly "IT'S UP TO YOU!" yet it still upsets people.  Almost to the point that I'm not sure if these same people want the club to come out and openly say masks are banned.  

If you don't want to wear a mask yet see someone wearing one and find it genuinely offends you, then I despair.
Posted by: aldi_01, July 20, 2021, 12:00pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from diehardmariner
Feels a bit Groundhog Day on this subject but the NHS is feeling the pinch to say the least.  Anyone who is convinced that the pandemic is over is, sadly, very very mistaken.  I say that with a very heavy heart as no-one wants a return to 'normality' more than myself.

Personally I think the decision around the whole 'Freedom Day' is ridiculous.  At the point when cases are rising, hospital admissions and pressures on the NHS are increasing we shouldn't be taking our eye off the ball, I'm not just including the wearing of masks either.  But that's not the point, the point is that the decision was made that rules are relaxed.  

What absolutely astounds me is that the club are saying, quite clearly "IT'S UP TO YOU!" yet it still upsets people.  Almost to the point that I'm not sure if these same people want the club to come out and openly say masks are banned.  

If you don't want to wear a mask yet see someone wearing one and find it genuinely offends you, then I despair.

I agree with your last comment but I’ve seen more people bemoaning those who are choosing not to wear one. A woman literally stood and tutted and moaned that people were just wandering in to Morrisons yesterday without a care in the world…works both ways.

I’m not arsed, I’ll be in my seat, watching football at a place I’ve missed…
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 20, 2021, 12:07pm; Reply: 53
Very fair point.  It was based on the majority of the comments I'd seen were from people slating any wearing of the mask.

It works both ways.  My personal (and limited) experience of the last few days is that most people are still choosing to wear masks (myself included).
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, July 20, 2021, 12:38pm; Reply: 54
I have just been in a supermarket and some people were wearing masks and some people weren't and nobody seemed to be judging anyone else. Pretty dull but there you go.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, July 20, 2021, 12:44pm; Reply: 55
I had to laugh as on Monday the so called freedom day Boris announces everyone must be double jabbed to attend large events from September.
Posted by: pen penfras, July 20, 2021, 12:47pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Of course things will get better than they are now. Rates of infection are very high currently but they won't always be. I am remaining pretty cautious as rates where I am are approaching 500 per 100k and I only had my 2nd jab last Thursday. Once we're through this wave, infection rates are lower and more people are double vaccinated then I'll be less cautious.

If vaccinating 70% of the population hasn't slowed down the spread, which it doesn't really seem to have, plus people being infected twice and post vaccination, then I'm not sure how infection rates will ever drop. Best we can hope for is that it just becomes a flu type illness now that we've got exposure to it and can carry on as normal.

The NHS needs a lot of money pumping into it to deal with the backlog and increased demand from covid. Taxes need to rise, but nobody will be happy with that.
Posted by: aldi_01, July 20, 2021, 12:49pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from pen penfras

If vaccinating 70% of the population hasn't slowed down the spread, which it doesn't really seem to have, plus people being infected twice and post vaccination, then I'm not sure how infection rates will ever drop. Best we can hope for is that it just becomes a flu type illness now that we've got exposure to it and can carry on as normal.

The NHS needs a lot of money pumping into it to deal with the backlog and increased demand from covid. Taxes need to rise, but nobody will be happy with that.

They found 37bn for a system that’s never worked properly…I’m
Sure if they really wanted to fund the NHS properly they could without the need for rising taxes…
Posted by: HertsGTFC, July 20, 2021, 1:00pm; Reply: 58
I'm happy to be given the option, it makes it my choice and decision either way which feels right.

It may have been mentioned earlier on in the thread but having mask wearing as an option could provide our former Board members with the opportunity to attend games, not even they would have the front to turn up undisguised, or maybe they would.  
Posted by: aldi_01, July 20, 2021, 1:03pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I'm happy to be given the option, it makes it my choice and decision either way which feels right.

It may have been mentioned earlier on in the thread but having mask wearing as an option could provide our former Board members with the opportunity to attend games, not even they would have the front to turn up undisguised, or maybe they would.  

Joking aside…are you expecting any of them to attend a town game again, especially now there’s no free excrement on offer…
Posted by: aldi_01, July 20, 2021, 1:03pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Joking aside…are you expecting any of them to attend a town game again, especially now there’s no free excrement on offer…
Posted by: toontown, July 20, 2021, 1:03pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from pen penfras

Only just over 50% of the population has been vaccinated (received both jabs). You might be getting mixed up with the proportion of adults vaccinated which is about 2/3 I think.

Posted by: Maringer, July 20, 2021, 1:10pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from pen penfras

70% would probably have done the job with Alpha and infections were dropping massively before Delta was let in to spread with a cheery wave. Delta is a lot, lot more infectious than previous variants, even Alpha. Approximately 2.5 times as infectious as the original virus out of Wuhan if the data is correct.

'Herd immunity' for Delta is likely to require around 85% of the population to have good resistance to the virus, either through vaccination of infection (the government's preferred route). We're nowhere near that level yet with tens of millions still vulnerable. Hopefully, the strong protection afforded by the vaccines against serious illness will be quite long-lived in the elderly, even as risk of infection rises back up as antibody levels fall. Still to be determined.

In comparison, Measles is even more infectious than Delta and requires 93 to 95% of the population to have protection to obtain herd immunity. Luckily, the Measles vaccines provide sterilising immunity so this isn't a problem in the Western world except in places where the Anti-vaxx idiots have gained a toehold. It would be nice if we could get a Covid vaccine which provided sterilising immunity, but that doesn't seem likely in the near future at least.
Posted by: DB, July 20, 2021, 1:14pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from Hagrid

The club are not making it compulsory, get on with your life the way you want to live it and allow others to do the same

Having read all 62 posts, so far, I think Hagrid has summed up the situation perfectly.

Posted by: rancido, July 20, 2021, 1:26pm; Reply: 64
It's all down to "personal responsibility", something which is sadly lacking these days.
Posted by: Maringer, July 20, 2021, 2:04pm; Reply: 65
The question is, what's more important to you - your freedom not to wear a mask, or the freedom of the person sitting next to you not to become infected if your are unknowingly carrying the virus?

'Freedom Day' was about the first type of freedom with no thought about the second.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, July 20, 2021, 2:51pm; Reply: 66
According to reliable political commentators.....

Internal Conservative Party polling showed that the party's core voters and (more importantly) the Brexit supporting Northern constituencies that had recently voted in Conservative MPs for the first time would not accept continued restrictions and new lockdowns are absolutely unacceptable.

If Johnson didn't 'release' things he was facing an internal revolt and probably the end of his premiership.

That is what 'Freedom Day' is about.
Posted by: supertown, July 20, 2021, 3:00pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Who said that ? All I’ve ever heard is the opposite and that it would heavily reduce hospital admissions and deaths . Which at the moment t seems to be correct
Posted by: HertsGTFC, July 20, 2021, 3:13pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from aldi_01

I'd be surprised if they did to be honest.
Posted by: Brough Mariner, July 20, 2021, 3:14pm; Reply: 69
As we’ve all seen from this thread, it doesn’t take long before the whole mask argument turns divisive.

Ultimately a few weeks down the line it’ll become even more so, with those wearing masks being the bastions of morality and those that don’t being knuckle dragging morons.

For me, I respect each person’s opinion irrespective of their belief structure but until all restrictions are lifted and that includes ‘being encouraged’ etc, I’ll be keeping my money in my pocket and listening on hullberside.

It’s not a decision I take lightly, but I’m not willing to be a pawn in a government policy, the only aim being to to put one against another, divide and conquer whilst they rule.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, July 20, 2021, 3:21pm; Reply: 70
Agreed, let's change the subject....

Should Town players take the knee before kick off?
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 20, 2021, 3:48pm; Reply: 71
Thank you for your support  ;D

I was trying to point out that because mask-wearing is entirely voluntary, the club had no need to "encourage" supporters to wear masks at "upcoming " matches. I have absolutely no problem with anybody wearing a mask, or not wearing a mask but it is a personal choice. The tone of the statement to me read that the club would prefer you to be masked up, by encouraging us to do so. It even showed a helpful photo of a fan with his next to useless cloth GTFC mask on. Ominously, further on it said proof of a double vaccination or negative test is not needed "at this stage."

People will know what to do in such circumstances; they do not need encouragement or otherwise. The whole tone of the statement sounded alarm bells to me;  just as we were looking forward to a more normal experience we thought here we go again with the threat of proof "at some stage" thrown in for good measure.

Obviously most if not all of you think differently; to me, it sounded over officious and pointing one way but surely to God, we can go to an outside event, especially one as open and exposed to the elements  as BP without being encouraged to mask up?  
Posted by: Townforlife, July 20, 2021, 3:54pm; Reply: 72
I hope there's enough ventilation in the Upper Young's! 😀
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, July 20, 2021, 4:26pm; Reply: 73
We need to learn to live with Covid being around. It's not going away and the vaccination program is helping but it is not a cure.

Whilst restrictions are lifted and there may not be  any enforceabke law to wear a mask I think any responsible business can 'encourage' people on their premises to wear one be it a shop an office or a football stadium.

Maybe if moving around walkways etc in close proximity to others. The govt themselves are encouraging masks on public transport for example or in settings where you may be close to.numerous strangers.

End of the day personal choice but is it really a massive
ask to wear a mask on occasions and show a little thought and consideration for others?
Posted by: rancido, July 20, 2021, 4:34pm; Reply: 74
Sadly too many people people are like sheep and have to be led. They won't take responsibility for their own actions. It is easier if someone else, either the Government or some establishment, lays down the rules. If it turns out wrong or ill-advised then they can be blamed, as opposed to blaming themselves for making any kind of decision. You can either want to live in a "nanny state" where every decision is made for you or you want to accept some responsibility for your actions and decisions.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, July 20, 2021, 4:42pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from rancido
Sadly too many people people are like sheep and have to be led. They won't take responsibility for their own actions. It is easier if someone else, either the Government or some establishment, lays down the rules. If it turns out wrong or ill-advised then they can be blamed, as opposed to blaming themselves for making any kind of decision. You can either want to live in a "nanny state" where every decision is made for you or you want to accept some responsibility for your actions and decisions.

The inherent problem is that for everyone who can take responsibility for their own actions and act for (generally) the common good there is someone else who is too f*cking thick or selfish to consider the implications of their actions if they don't act for the common good. They don't give a sh*t that their actions could lead to someone else catching Covid because that has nothing to do with them.
Posted by: codcheeky, July 20, 2021, 4:44pm; Reply: 76
Thank you for your support  ;D

I was trying to point out that because mask-wearing is entirely voluntary, the club had no need to "encourage" supporters to wear masks at "upcoming " matches. I have absolutely no problem with anybody wearing a mask, or not wearing a mask but it is a personal choice. The tone of the statement to me read that the club would prefer you to be masked up, by encouraging us to do so. It even showed a helpful photo of a fan with his next to useless cloth GTFC mask on. Ominously, further on it said proof of a double vaccination or negative test is not needed "at this stage."

People will know what to do in such circumstances; they do not need encouragement or otherwise. The whole tone of the statement sounded alarm bells to me;  just as we were looking forward to a more normal experience we thought here we go again with the threat of proof "at some stage" thrown in for good measure.

Obviously most if not all of you think differently; to me, it sounded over officious and pointing one way but surely to God, we can go to an outside event, especially one as open and exposed to the elements  as BP without being encouraged to mask up?  

There is a genuine threat that things will change as they are going to for people going to nightclubs, this will have nothing to do with the club’s policy.  This Government has an absolutely terrible record at saying something and keeping to it. The Health Secretary, the PM  and the chancellor all self isolating on “freedom day” about sums up how badly they have handled the whole pandemic.  From the the message from the club they are only trying to do their best for their customers in line with advice at a really difficult time. You and your personal rights will hopefully never be more important than community health however much you like to moan about it . Selfishness is not something to shout and be proud about, you always have the option of not attending if you feel strongly enough about it.  Probably more will choose against attending if there are many more with your attitude to others health.
Posted by: RichMariner, July 20, 2021, 5:00pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from BottesfordMariner
End of the day personal choice but is it really a massive
ask to wear a mask on occasions and show a little thought and consideration for others?

This is what it boils down to for me. There are lots of people who are looking for an excuse to get angry about something that isn't worth the effort.

If people think masks are useless, fine. Clearly, they are not a solution by themselves but if by me wearing one reduces the risk of someone catching covid even by a measly 1%, or that it saves someone's life then, obviously, I'm going to wear one.

Read the article about Steve Cotterill on the BBC Football site today and make your mind up.

The vaccination programme is about protecting ourselves, but you're also protecting loads of people who want the vaccine but can't have one because they are immunocompromised. Masks and the vaccine are helping to limit the spread.

It's your decision to wear one or not, at the end of the day, but is the hurt of wearing one worse than potentially spreading a disease that's already contributed to the deaths of more than 100,000 people in the UK alone?
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 20, 2021, 5:27pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from codcheeky

There is a genuine threat that things will change as they are going to for people going to nightclubs, this will have nothing to do with the club’s policy.  This Government has an absolutely terrible record at saying something and keeping to it. The Health Secretary, the PM  and the chancellor all self isolating on “freedom day” about sums up how badly they have handled the whole pandemic.  From the the message from the club they are only trying to do their best for their customers in line with advice at a really difficult time. You and your personal rights will hopefully never be more important than community health however much you like to moan about it . Selfishness is not something to shout and be proud about, you always have the option of not attending if you feel strongly enough about it.  Probably more will choose against attending if there are many more with your attitude to others health.

I can assure you that anybody who knows me will say I am the most unselfish person you could wish to meet.

I am merely pointing out that it is blindingly obvious that people will adjust their behaviour according to circumstance, by keeping a sense of proportion in any given situation, and they don't need encouragement from the club or anybody else. I am irritated that the club has to issue guidance to grown men and women who will take their own decisions accordingly. I have already said I have no issue whatsoever whether people wear masks or not, I would rather take responsibility of all such matters for myself. In my view the club had no need to state the obvious, with the added threats of proof further down the line.

I am in the vulnerable category myself, but I do not want others to feel they should be encouraged to wear masks because of me. Others feel differently which is fair enough.

There will be a fair proportion at BP without masks, that much is obvious. I don't think they should be made to feel guilty in any way whatsoever but by the tone of most posts on here yours included they will be. What are you gonna do when the unmasked guy behind you celebrates a goal (I hope one of many) and screams and shouts in your direction? Are you going to have a row with him? If not, why not, because according to you he is being selfish and endangering everyone's health. Are disagreements going to break out all over the stadium as people complain of maskless fans shouting and spittle flying in their direction?  This has got all the hallmarks of sowing the seeds of friction between groups of supporters, whereas they should have been more pragmatic about it. "Encouraging" fans to wear a mask to me means they would prefer you to be masked. A lot will not be masked, as that is the law at the moment so why should anyone in the stadium feel under pressure?
Posted by: moosey_club, July 20, 2021, 5:30pm; Reply: 79
As this was one of the questions that formed the fans survey then I guess a good proportion of supporters indicated they would prefer some controls in place.

As we are hitting a big spike now locally then seems a very sensible approach to me.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 20, 2021, 7:47pm; Reply: 80

The inherent problem is that for everyone who can take responsibility for their own actions and act for (generally) the common good there is someone else who is too f*cking thick or selfish to consider the implications of their actions if they don't act for the common good. They don't give a sh*t that their actions could lead to someone else catching Covid because that has nothing to do with them.

There are some rather wild accusations flying about there!

Does that apply to nearly all the Town fans last week, presumably including a number of posters on here?

Have a look at the highlights of the Cleethorpes Town match.

People crammed around the pitch perimeter and not a mask in sight. Zero social distancing.

That of course is the real world, with real fans just enjoying a day out, just like they will at BP when the season kicks off.

Posted by: arryarryarry, July 21, 2021, 12:46am; Reply: 81
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I have just been in a supermarket and some people were wearing masks and some people weren't and nobody seemed to be judging anyone else. Pretty dull but there you go.

Sadly that's been the case even when masks should have been worn.
Posted by: gtfc98, July 21, 2021, 2:40am; Reply: 82

stop being such a baby FFS.
Posted by: aldi_01, July 21, 2021, 5:14am; Reply: 83
Quoted from arryarryarry

Sadly that's been the case even when masks should have been worn.

Indeed it has and it’s barely had an effect.

The Clee Town game was good for so many reasons, aside from being back at football for the first time for many, it was the fact it was normal. Queuing for a beer, no masks, no social distancing, people embracing, people talking about normal excrement, decent weather and just people seemingly having a good time…
Posted by: Maringer, July 21, 2021, 7:42am; Reply: 84
Let's hope that nobody picked up an infection in those queues. Prevalence in the area is high enough (1 in 100 or thereabouts) that there will most likely have been a small number of people there who were  infected, probably unknowingly.
Posted by: aldi_01, July 21, 2021, 7:44am; Reply: 85
Unless they bother getting tested they’ll probably never know either…
Posted by: Davec, July 21, 2021, 8:02am; Reply: 86
I've come to a decision, I will not be wearing a mask at Grimsby games, instead I will take a lateral flow test on the morning of the game which are 99% accurate according to the government and if that comes back as negative then I will attend the game as normal not wearing a mask, obviously if it comes back as positive I will self isolate immediately.
Posted by: pen penfras, July 21, 2021, 8:34am; Reply: 87
It's basically brexit all over again. 2 groups of people with the irony that the liberals want the side with more rules and the not so liberals want 'freedom', which mainly seems to be about complaining rather than any actual problem.

If you are in the people should wear a mask camp, then wear an FFP3 mask and protect yourself and others properly. Let the others get on with it. No need to argue, those that care have done their part and have no reason to get drunk off at the selfishness of others because there are masks that actually protect the person wearing them.

But the main factor is that people just want to argue about something. Both sides claiming the moral high ground and thinking the other side are morons, when in reality, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.
Posted by: Hagrid, July 21, 2021, 8:40am; Reply: 88
Quoted from Davec
I've come to a decision, I will not be wearing a mask at Grimsby games, instead I will take a lateral flow test on the morning of the game which are 99% accurate according to the government and if that comes back as negative then I will attend the game as normal not wearing a mask, obviously if it comes back as positive I will self isolate immediately.

99%?! Not a chance

But i agree with your reasoning, i do tests 3 times a week, i wont wear a mask whilst the game is in progress but walking round the stadium with the high rates in our area i’ll have one on
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 21, 2021, 9:10am; Reply: 89
Quoted from gtfc98

stop being such a baby FFS.

I don't know whether you find it difficult to follow arguments, but what I am arguing for is the exact opposite to that.

Grown people should be able to make their own choices in accordance with the current law.

Compare and contrast that with somebody like Bobby Cummings Tackle who fell into the trap of saying people were too flipping thick or selfish and don't give a excrement about others till I pointed out that most Town fans enjoyed the Cleethorpes game without masks or social distancing.

Posted by: mariner91, July 21, 2021, 9:14am; Reply: 90

I don't know whether you find it difficult to follow arguments, but what I am arguing for is the exact opposite to that.

Grown people should be able to make their own choices in accordance with the current law.

Compare and contrast that with somebody like Bobby Cummings Tackle who fell into the trap of saying people were too flipping thick or selfish and don't give a excrement about others till I pointed out that most Town fans enjoyed the Cleethorpes game without masks or social distancing.

I don’t know whether you find it difficult to read simple statements but the club has ‘encouraged’ people to wear a mask. It is not being enforced. Grown people are being allowed to make their own choices in accordance with the current law.

It’s astonishing that the ones who moan about lefties and snowflakes all the time are the ones perpetually offended or trying their best to find anything to be upset about.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 21, 2021, 9:17am; Reply: 91
Quoted from Hagrid

99%?! Not a chance

But i agree with your reasoning, i do tests 3 times a week, i wont wear a mask whilst the game is in progress but walking round the stadium with the high rates in our area i’ll have one on

There are higher rates whilst walking around but not when you are sat down? Does Chris Whitty know?

There will be endless versions of this and other behaviour, from those who refuse to wear a mask in any setting or those who will keep it on all the time. Like I tried to point out at the start, let people decide what they are comfortable with as long as they are acting within the law.  
Posted by: Maringer, July 21, 2021, 9:21am; Reply: 92
Quoted from aldi_01
Unless they bother getting tested they’ll probably never know either…

Perhaps so, perhaps not. But a chance that they'll get some sort of an idea when their parents or grandparents, or the immunosuppressed bloke they sit next to at work with starts coughing...

No data available as yet as regards how likely asymptomatic infections are with the Delta variant but, given that the viral load seems so much higher, I'd be surprised if they were as common as with earlier variants. I expect it will become clearer in due course.

There are known examples of fully-vaccinated people infecting others with this variant as well. Something to consider if you don't want to wear a mask and think you're not a risk because you're fully vaccinated. With infection rates as crazily high as they are at present, I'll be continuing to wear masks inside for the foreseeable future, at least until this wave is either brought under control or peters out. Could be a couple of months yet and I imagine I'll probably not be going to the first few matches of the season. I'm trying my best to avoid my young children and parents catching it so wouldn't want to get it then pass it on to them. Better safe than sorry.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 21, 2021, 9:24am; Reply: 93
Quoted from mariner91

I don’t know whether you find it difficult to read simple statements but the club has ‘encouraged’ people to wear a mask. It is not being enforced. Grown people are being allowed to make their own choices in accordance with the current law.

It’s astonishing that the ones who moan about lefties and snowflakes all the time are the ones perpetually offended or trying their best to find anything to be upset about.

They want you to wear a mask that is why you were encouraged to do so. Just to reinforce the message they also said proof of vaccination or a negative test were not needed at this stage.

It is no business of theirs whether people use a mask or not under the current law. People like Bobby Cummings Tackle will be thinking anybody unmasked at the game is a flipping thick selfish so and so which is obviously nonsense.
Posted by: Hagrid, July 21, 2021, 9:27am; Reply: 94

There are higher rates whilst walking around but not when you are sat down? Does Chris Whitty know?

There will be endless versions of this and other behaviour, from those who refuse to wear a mask in any setting or those who will keep it on all the time. Like I tried to point out at the start, let people decide what they are comfortable with as long as they are acting within the law.  

I sit with my family members.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 21, 2021, 9:31am; Reply: 95
Quoted from Maringer

Perhaps so, perhaps not. But a chance that they'll get some sort of an idea when their parents or grandparents, or the immunosuppressed bloke they sit next to at work with starts coughing...

No data available as yet as regards how likely asymptomatic infections are with the Delta variant but, given that the viral load seems so much higher, I'd be surprised if they were as common as with earlier variants. I expect it will become clearer in due course.

There are known examples of fully-vaccinated people infecting others with this variant as well. Something to consider if you don't want to wear a mask and think you're not a risk because you're fully vaccinated. With infection rates as crazily high as they are at present, I'll be continuing to wear masks inside for the foreseeable future, at least until this wave is either brought under control or peters out. Could be a couple of months yet and I imagine I'll probably not be going to the first few matches of the season. I'm trying my best to avoid my young children and parents catching it so wouldn't want to get it then pass it on to them. Better safe than sorry.

That is what I am arguing for. If you feel unsafe, don't go, but let others enjoy the freedoms allowed by law if they want to, and don't judge people by whether they are wearing a mask in an outdoor setting.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 21, 2021, 9:33am; Reply: 96
Quoted from Hagrid

I sit with my family members.

Do you have a very large family that occupy the rows in front and behind and to the side? Are you going to ask all of them to wear a mask, or to give proof of a negative test? The whole thing is a nonsense.
Posted by: Maringer, July 21, 2021, 9:37am; Reply: 97
I'll accept their right to not wear a mask during this big surge in infections, but I'll also reserve the right to think they are selfish arses if they do so. Putting a minor inconvenience to yourself ahead of the health of others is pretty reprehensible, in my view.

Obviously, I don't believe all the anti-vaxx, anti-mask, anti-lockdown, GBD stuff propagated by many dodgy characters on social media, so I realise the viewpoints of others who lap up that bullshit may differ.
Posted by: EvilFish, July 21, 2021, 9:53am; Reply: 98
I'll be wearing a mask because you all f'cking stink, quite frankly.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 21, 2021, 10:14am; Reply: 99
Quoted from Maringer
I'll accept their right to not wear a mask during this big surge in infections, but I'll also reserve the right to think they are selfish arses if they do so. Putting a minor inconvenience to yourself ahead of the health of others is pretty reprehensible, in my view.

Obviously, I don't believe all the anti-vaxx, anti-mask, anti-lockdown, GBD stuff propagated by many dodgy characters on social media, so I realise the viewpoints of others who lap up that bullshit may differ.

So you think that all the Town fans maskless at Cleethorpes are selfish arses? It is not a true characterisation, is it?
Posted by: aldi_01, July 21, 2021, 10:18am; Reply: 100
You can think they’re arsed but surely that’s an odd stance when it’s their choice. I think people wearing a mask in their own car look stupid but it’s their choice and they can crack on.

I’ve not worn a mask throughout for various reason, namely Becauee the rules have made zero sense since pretty much the start and when the people at the top telling us those rules don’t adhere to them then it renders them pretty futile.

If people want to wear one then crack on, those that don’t, crack on. It’s unnecessary to think negatively about either of them though…
Posted by: marinerdazza, July 21, 2021, 10:44am; Reply: 101
I’ll likely wear one whilst cases are through the roof. They’ll burn out by the end of August though surely. Think/hope we’ll be as close to normal as we can expect by mid September.
Posted by: aldi_01, July 21, 2021, 10:55am; Reply: 102
Quoted from marinerdazza
I’ll likely wear one whilst cases are through the roof. They’ll burn out by the end of August though surely. Think/hope we’ll be as close to normal as we can expect by mid September.

Technically, with the removal of the draconian rules it’s fizzled out now…but I get what you mean.

It’s a genuine question our psychologist at work posed; if the media stopped reporting it and the saturation dried up, how long would it take for people to stop worrying all together and just treat it like something like flu?

It’s an interesting point…
Posted by: RichMariner, July 21, 2021, 11:06am; Reply: 103
It is no business of theirs whether people use a mask or not under the current law.

I see what you're getting at, but I think you've misinterpreted the motive behind the article. The club is encouraging people to wear masks because it's concerned about the health and wellbeing of its fans.

The club clearly wants loads of fans to come to the games, but at this current time that risks spreading the virus.

All the club is saying is, look out for one another. The infection rate is currently high in NE Lincs. The law did change on Monday but that's not to say we should all chuck our masks away or stop getting vaccinated.

As I (and many others) keep pointing out on this thread, wearing masks and getting vaccinated is about protecting each other. Thinking of other people, and not ourselves.

Honestly, I do believe people who now want to throw their masks in the bin are selfish. My opinion, of course. By law, they can. It's their right. I just think it's a selfish act and one that doesn't consider the health and wellbeing of the more vulnerable people around them.
Posted by: Maringer, July 21, 2021, 11:27am; Reply: 104

So you think that all the Town fans maskless at Cleethorpes are selfish arses? It is not a true characterisation, is it?

Well, some certainly are, but as I mentioned, others are just misinformed by dishonest and misleading bullshit.
Posted by: Maringer, July 21, 2021, 11:29am; Reply: 105
Quoted from aldi_01
I think people wearing a mask in their own car look stupid but it’s their choice and they can crack on.

Well, that's one thing we're in agreement with, if they are on their own, of course. If they are on the way to picking up somebody who might be vulnerable or are giving someone else outside their 'bubble' a lift, then good on them for doing the sensible thing.
Posted by: drbell, July 21, 2021, 11:49am; Reply: 106
I find this so depressing. For a couple of hours, people can wear a mask to help reduce the risk of fellow town fans (and their families and friends) becoming ill, or worse. It's such a small personal sacrifice (even for those who believe it gives them personally no protection). Front line workers are wearing them 12 hours a day doing an incredible job, and people cannot do this small thing when voluntarily going to a sporting event. Rarely in life is there an opportunity to do something so small, which can make such a difference, and more than that show such thought and caring for others. Imagine a packed Blundell Park, with everyone who is able wearing a GTFC mask. What a show of solidarity, caring and togetherness that would be.

I understand that there are a small proportion of people who cannot wear masks, and they have to make difficult decisions about everything they do now, including coming to a football match. However, I do not believe that is what people are arguing about here.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 21, 2021, 12:12pm; Reply: 107
Quoted from drbell
I find this so depressing. For a couple of hours, people can wear a mask to help reduce the risk of fellow town fans (and their families and friends) becoming ill, or worse. It's such a small personal sacrifice (even for those who believe it gives them personally no protection). Front line workers are wearing them 12 hours a day doing an incredible job, and people cannot do this small thing when voluntarily going to a sporting event. Rarely in life is there an opportunity to do something so small, which can make such a difference, and more than that show such thought and caring for others. Imagine a packed Blundell Park, with everyone who is able wearing a GTFC mask. What a show of solidarity, caring and togetherness that would be.

I understand that there are a small proportion of people who cannot wear masks, and they have to make difficult decisions about everything they do now, including coming to a football match. However, I do not believe that is what people are arguing about here.

Did you see the happiness on people's faces at the Cleethorpes game? They absolutely loved the freedom they have earned due to 18 months of following restrictions. If you want people to wear a mask in an outdoor setting, which is the safest place to be,  and the vast majority of people attending would also have been vaccinated why would you wish to curb peoples enjoyment?

If you go anywhere, at any time there is a risk; as Maringer said above he has taken the view that going to the match is too risky so will give it a miss. People are assessing the risk of being outside, of being double jabbed and have come to the conclusion that the risk is one they are prepared to take. They are not monsters or think they are putting anybody at risk.  

The fanciful notion that BP will be full of mask-wearing fans, all muffling "Mariners" is ludicrous.

To take things to their illogical conclusion, perhaps you would like the linesmen to be masked up? They are pretty near the front rows. Or a player come to that if he celebrates with the fans?
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, July 21, 2021, 12:23pm; Reply: 108
Quoted from pen penfras
It's basically brexit all over again. 2 groups of people with the irony that the liberals want the side with more rules and the not so liberals want 'freedom', which mainly seems to be about complaining rather than any actual problem.

If you are in the people should wear a mask camp, then wear an FFP3 mask and protect yourself and others properly. Let the others get on with it. No need to argue, those that care have done their part and have no reason to get drunk off at the selfishness of others because there are masks that actually protect the person wearing them.

But the main factor is that people just want to argue about something. Both sides claiming the moral high ground and thinking the other side are morons, when in reality, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

The truth lies with the scientists

Posted by: Mrbump53, July 21, 2021, 12:44pm; Reply: 109
Interesting to see how people have reacted to this and the differences partly driven by the media who contradict themselves on a daily basis and who are sensationalist and not experts themselves. So from someone who works within the NHS and receives information on a daily basis some informed information.

Masks - prevent transmission within areas where there is poor ventilation and you will be required to wear one within hospitals unless you have a medical reason not to. A prudent organisation/owner will continue to advocate/encourage people coming onto their premises to wear masks as they have a legal safety responsibility to protect people as far as is reasonably practicable irrespective of the removal of the laws requiring mandatory wearing of masks.

Delta variant -  more transmissible by a factor or approx. 1.6 times that of the alpha variant but generally those persons contracting it don't suffer severe symptoms and those receiving their first vaccine dose are around 70% less likely to contract the virus and if they do then suffer mild issues. People who have received both vaccinations are 90% less likely to contract it and if they do they are more likely to suffer only mild issues.

Hospitalisations  - current infection rates for this area are the highest since the pandemic began but hospital admissions are approximately 80% less than in the previous wave even though the infection rate is 30% higher than it was. The significant majority of people being admitted have not received one or both vaccine doses and mortality rates for these groups is high so reducing transmission is still a key mitigating factor.

Vaccines - afford around 95 - 97% protection meaning that up to 3.4million people will still be at risk even if everyone was vaccinated (not all the UK population can receive a vaccine). Taking that into account herd immunity is not likely to be a factor until approx 57 million people have had both doses.  

Yes the virus is not going to simply die out and will be affecting people for some time to come so the club is acting responsibly by encouraging people to wear masks if they wish to (it isn't against the law to encourage people). I will make my own informed decisions as to when and where I wear a mask and hope that others will do so. That is for them to decide not me and I won't criticise those that don't wear one I would just ask that they make their own informed decisions.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 21, 2021, 12:58pm; Reply: 110
Quoted from Maringer

Well, some certainly are, but as I mentioned, others are just misinformed by dishonest and misleading bullshit.

So, despite nearly all the Town fans at Cleethorpes not wearing a mask, you think some are selfish arses, and the others misinformed?

Could it not be that they had assessed the risks for themselves and decided that in an outdoor setting there was next to no risk and acted accordingly? Perhaps they thought masks in an outdoor setting served very little purpose.
Posted by: tashee69, July 21, 2021, 1:00pm; Reply: 111
Some people I know “encourage me” to take my shoes off at the front door when I visit them.
I do, because I respect other people’s thought pattern even if I don’t agree with it.
If it’s all about you, then don’t wear a mask, I will even though I don’t necessarily agree with it. It’s mostly about respecting other people rather than what you believe in yourself.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 21, 2021, 1:08pm; Reply: 112
Quoted from tashee69
Some people I know “encourage me” to take my shoes off at the front door when I visit them.
I do, because I respect other people’s thought pattern even if I don’t agree with it.
If it’s all about you, then don’t wear a mask, I will even though I don’t necessarily agree with it. It’s mostly about respecting other people rather than what you believe in yourself.

Most people are not wearing a mask in an outdoor setting. Why don't you respect their thought pattern and join them, especially if you don't necessarily agree with wearing a mask?
Posted by: tashee69, July 21, 2021, 1:12pm; Reply: 113

Most people are not wearing a mask in an outdoor setting. Why don't you respect their thought pattern and join them, especially if you don't necessarily agree with wearing a mask?

It’s all about you

If wearing a mask stops 1 person from contracting the disease, are you so selfish, that wearing a mask between walking in & out of the stadium is that much of an effort !!! What 3 mins ??
Are you really THAT SELFISH ???!!!!
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, July 21, 2021, 1:18pm; Reply: 114
Quoted from tashee69

People who try to enter my house without at least offering to take off their shoes get the full Fenty / Newell pub car park treatment (allegedly). Nobody gets past the hall with shoes on unless there is a medical emergency and even then, plastic protectors would be required for the stairs.

Considering the first world problem spouting Facebook page for our village drones on about little else other than pavement splattered dogshît, enforcing shoe removal at the door seems like the only sensible option.

I don’t need to give my wife another excuse to try and replace the carpets every other year.

Talking of deep pile, what happened to Lewis Butroid’s trial?!
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 21, 2021, 1:19pm; Reply: 115
Quoted from tashee69

It’s all about you

If wearing a mask stops 1 person from contracting the disease, are you so selfish, that wearing a mask between walking in & out of the stadium is that much of an effort !!! What 3 mins ??
Are you really THAT SELFISH ???!!!!

No not at all. I am defending my hundreds of fellow Town fans who enjoyed not wearing a mask last week at the Cleethorpes game, which various posters have described as selfish, cretins misinformed and much worse.

As far as I know, you have never had to wear a mask in an outdoor setting even before "Freedom day" so I don't know where you get the selfish bit from, unless you think the millions of people going about their lives walking around towns and villages are somehow selfish.  
Posted by: ska face, July 21, 2021, 1:31pm; Reply: 116

Why don’t you just not wear your mask without making a big cry-baby song and dance about it you absolute dullard?
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, July 21, 2021, 1:36pm; Reply: 117
It’s not illegal not to wear a mask, it’s personal choice. I will probably wear one for now. However it is personal choice and so no-one should be criticised for not wearing one.

Unfortunately, maybe intentionally, the way the Prime Minister and his advisers have presented things, they have managed to pit everyone against each other.

We should all be respectful of other people’s perspective and choices.
Posted by: tashee69, July 21, 2021, 1:44pm; Reply: 118

No not at all. I am defending my hundreds of fellow Town fans who enjoyed not wearing a mask last week at the Cleethorpes game, which various posters have described as selfish, cretins misinformed and much worse.

As far as I know, you have never had to wear a mask in an outdoor setting even before "Freedom day" so I don't know where you get the selfish bit from, unless you think the millions of people going about their lives walking around towns and villages are somehow selfish.  

All I am asking you, is, does it take that much effort to walk to your seat wearing a mask, for 3 mins, if it stops a fellow Grimsby Town fan from catching the disease. Is it that much of an effort? Does it put you out that much? Is it such a great task that you are unable to manage it, even if you don’t agree with it?
Not interested if you agree with it or not but would you do it if it stopped another town fan from contracting it. That is my point. I would go out my way and help the vulnerable that go to the game. Not just think about what I want

Posted by: Mariner_09, July 21, 2021, 1:46pm; Reply: 119
Quoted from Hagrid

99%?! Not a chance

They have a false positive rate of about 0.25% but when you do 1.2 million tests a day, as Britain does, that equates to an enormous raw number of false positives.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 21, 2021, 1:49pm; Reply: 120
Quoted from pen penfras

It’s not liberals versus conservatives (small L and small C). It’s realists v fantasists.  And actually Brexit means just as many rules. Only now we have to follow the rules on a much more common basis (see thread about shipping from Germany as just a small example).
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, July 21, 2021, 1:52pm; Reply: 121
Without wishing to get political on this side of the harbour wall, the Government’s advice over the past 17 months hasn’t helped.

From Boris ‘encouraging’ hand shaking in March 2020 to locking down late and striking the fear of God into most of the country to scare the public into following the rules.

As far as I am aware, are you likely to catch Covid by touching turnstiles and seats - probably not.

Are you going to catch Covid outside - probably not. But if you are sat at BP next to someone wearing a mask, you shouldn’t slip them the oral hot dog sausage when The Shop slams home his 30th goal of the season.

Realistically, even if it was legally enforced, are the fans going to keep the masks on when they cheer etc. No. But you should be respectful of who you are sat near as there are many reasons why they really don’t want to risk infection, and that is surely the most important point as we gradually return to some normality.

Just enjoying been back at BP is surely enough of a lift for now.

The risk, whilst infection rates are still so high, is in the communal areas with poor ventilation. The toilet blocks especially. Although I’m still expecting the WHO to trace the original Covid outbreak back to the wet market which is, the Main Stand urinals.

So personally, I’ll be wearing a mask in busy and/or poorly ventilated areas. If I find I’m sat next to a slavering, sputum spitting super spreader, then I guess I might as well not wear one in the stands as there’s no point in protecting them by me wearing a mask.
Posted by: Hagrid, July 21, 2021, 1:55pm; Reply: 122
Well i know who is getting twit Of the Week this week
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 21, 2021, 2:00pm; Reply: 123
Quoted from Hagrid

Indeed. He’s clearly in it to win it this time. Presumably he’s never understood the phrase “when in a hole”.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 21, 2021, 2:08pm; Reply: 124
Quoted from Hagrid

Oh stop being so hard on yourself. Your idiotic comment about not wearing masks while sat down but you will whist walking was not THAT bad.  ;D
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, July 21, 2021, 2:09pm; Reply: 125
Although I’m still expecting the WHO to trace the original Covid outbreak back to the wet market which is, the Main Stand urinals.

At last, some truth is being told.

WAKE UP SHEEPLE!
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, July 21, 2021, 2:18pm; Reply: 126

Indeed. He’s clearly in it to win it this time. Presumably he’s never understood the phrase “when in a hole”.

If you were in a hole you should definitely be encouraged to wear a mask. Poor ventilation and probably close proximity to others. You’d be pinging like a Tony Gallimore crossfield pass.

Would you take the knee in a hole? I wouldn’t because the bottom of the hole would probably be wet and I wouldn’t want to damage my stay-creased action slacks. I’d have a moment of reflection instead.

If anyone booed the knee in the hole I’d insist on masks all round. Booing spreads Covid. You heard it here first.
Posted by: Maringer, July 21, 2021, 2:22pm; Reply: 127
Quoted from Mariner_09

They have a false positive rate of about 0.25% but when you do 1.2 million tests a day, as Britain does, that equates to an enormous raw number of false positives.

Not nearly as many as there are false negatives, however. Oddly enough, people aren't very good at jamming a swab far enough up their nose to get a good sample and swabbing the back of your throat is hard work as well. I seem to remember that a trial in Liverpool last year showed that accuracy is under 50% for self-swabbed LFT samples.

As far as I'm aware, we're also pretty much the only country that gets people taking samples for PCR tests to swab themselves. At least this was the case last year. Most countries have (or perhaps had) medical professionals do the swabbing which you'd expect would mean a better quality sample was collected. PCRs are also very sensitive so probably fewer false negatives found that way.

There was lots of talk last year about accurate and fast saliva tests. They would be very handy indeed. Pretty much no chance of messing up a saliva sample, I'd have thought. I wonder what happened to those?
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, July 21, 2021, 2:32pm; Reply: 128
Quoted from Maringer

Not nearly as many as there are false negatives, however. Oddly enough, people aren't very good at jamming a swab far enough up their nose to get a good sample and swabbing the back of your throat is hard work as well.

I don’t mind going knuckle deep up my nose because I spend most of my downtime with my finger jammed up there but the throat sample is very difficult to swab. My tongue and throat are so sensitive that anything further than the umami part of my tongue map makes me gag like a super injunction.

The professionals go much deeper. The portakabins at arrivals in Madeira Airport are like scenes from Deepthroat.
Posted by: DB, July 21, 2021, 5:52pm; Reply: 129
Quoted from DB

Having read all 62 posts, so far, I think Hagrid has summed up the situation perfectly.

Quoted from Hagrid

I've now read 128 posts and I still think there is none other that is better.

We all have a choice and everybody should respect each other's choice.

Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, July 21, 2021, 5:54pm; Reply: 130

I don’t mind going knuckle deep up my nose because I spend most of my downtime with my finger jammed up there but the throat sample is very difficult to swab. My tongue and throat are so sensitive that anything further than the umami part of my tongue map makes me gag like a super injunction.

The professionals go much deeper. The portakabins at arrivals in Madeira Airport are like scenes from Deepthroat.

I have so many questions........
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 21, 2021, 6:44pm; Reply: 131
Quoted from DB

Quoted from Hagrid

I've now read 128 posts and I still think there is none other that is better.

We all have a choice and everybody should respect each other's choice.

If you have read every one you will have seen that it is anything BUT respect for each others choice! I said in the opening post that anybody who "wants to wear a mask in an outdoor setting let them" but far too many posters have been scathing at anybody who may not want to wear a mask.

Our fans at the Cleethorpes match were called all the names under the sun for daring to do as the law allows. These are normal people who went to a game and enjoyed it, and their only "crime" was not to wear a mask. If those same people are sat next to, behind or in front of some posters on here when the season starts, and they again are not wearing a mask will they have the cheek to mention it ?

All of us have followed every rule, every government directive but you have NEVER have had to wear a face mask outdoors. We are talking about football, in the open air, outside. There never has been any requirement to wear a mask in those circumstances.

I just don't understand, given it never has been a requirement to wear a mask outside, why the club brought it up particularly in view of the Cleethorpes game when they saw very few masks and the fact that all restrictions had been lifted anyway. Why highlight a problem that was not there??

Like Maringer said, if anybody is that worried they wont go, which is sad for them but entirely understandable.
Posted by: wigworld, July 21, 2021, 7:01pm; Reply: 132
Quoted from Hagrid

Ladbrokes have stopped taking bets on it.
Posted by: Stadium, July 21, 2021, 7:18pm; Reply: 133

If you have read every one you will have seen that it is anything BUT respect for each others choice! I said in the opening post that anybody who "wants to wear a mask in an outdoor setting let them" but far too many posters have been scathing at anybody who may not want to wear a mask.

Our fans at the Cleethorpes match were called all the names under the sun for daring to do as the law allows. These are normal people who went to a game and enjoyed it, and their only "crime" was not to wear a mask. If those same people are sat next to, behind or in front of some posters on here when the season starts, and they again are not wearing a mask will they have the cheek to mention it ?

All of us have followed every rule, every government directive but you have NEVER have had to wear a face mask outdoors. We are talking about football, in the open air, outside. There never has been any requirement to wear a mask in those circumstances.

I just don't understand, given it never has been a requirement to wear a mask outside, why the club brought it up particularly in view of the Cleethorpes game when they saw very few masks and the fact that all restrictions had been lifted anyway. Why highlight a problem that was not there??

Like Maringer said, if anybody is that worried they wont go, which is sad for them but entirely understandable.

They never referenced wearing a face covering outdoors.
The government has "advised " the continued use which is a personal preference.
Did you expect the club to say nothing or carry the government line?
Maybe ask the local MP to express his thoughts on the statement?

Posted by: Northbank Mariner, July 21, 2021, 7:42pm; Reply: 134
So what I want to know is....are you seeing a mask or not Lew???🤔🤭
Posted by: aldi_01, July 21, 2021, 8:02pm; Reply: 135
Quoted from Stadium

Anyone seen our local MPs over the last year?
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 21, 2021, 8:44pm; Reply: 136
Quoted from Stadium

ALL restrictions have been lifted. Whether you agree with it or not, the fact remains that for the moment at least all covid restrictions have been lifted. On that basis, the club did not have to make a statement, encouraging people to wear face masks, did they? They are entirely free to go indoors, or outdoors, mask free apart from one or two exceptional circumstances just as they are entirely free to go anywhere they like with a mask on. Obviously going to a non-league footy match is not one of the exceptional circumstances.

Thank you for your patience, and you will be pleased to know this is my final post on this particular thread as I have got to go and take my medications.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, July 21, 2021, 9:25pm; Reply: 137

ALL restrictions have been lifted. Whether you agree with it or not, the fact remains that for the moment at least all covid restrictions have been lifted. On that basis, the club did not have to make a statement, encouraging people to wear face masks, did they? They are entirely free to go indoors, or outdoors, mask free apart from one or two exceptional circumstances just as they are entirely free to go anywhere they like with a mask on. Obviously going to a non-league footy match is not one of the exceptional circumstances.

Thank you for your patience, and you will be pleased to know this is my final post on this particular thread as I have got to go and take my medications.

Given that the messages from HM Government are both vague and indecisive, it’s no surprise that no one really knows what they’re supposed to do. That said, it would be great if everyone would be sympathetic to each other’s wishes and allow people to conduct their lives in the way they see fit.
Posted by: Croxton, July 21, 2021, 10:56pm; Reply: 138
Most of the crowd at The Oval tonight would be in Lew's camp I guess. Ten thousand including loads of superspreading kids singing, dancing and cheering a fine game of women's cricket. Perhaps those who had the Covid NHS App deleted it? Made the Cleethorpes crowd seem a sideshow.

The transition to 'personal responsibility' will throw up loads of contradictions and whataboutery. I was at Cleethorpes and wore a mask through the turnstile and at the bogs. I would have worn one all game if that was a condition of a seat in the shade.

Band Q today asked me to consider others by wearing a mask and keeping my distance. Everyone did. Ditto my local Tesco but it won't last long if the nudging stops. The infection rates in N.E. Lincs. have been raging recently and perhaps the launch of the Fanzone area this weekend may be problematic. No disrespect to you young 'uns but I'll be the old loner sipping a half of Dock's by the gate.

Still planning to go to Bromley but some of the lowest jab rates in London are not far away.
I've no issue with Town's statement and would expect most businesses in N.E. Lincs to take a cautious line for a few weeks yet.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, July 22, 2021, 9:56am; Reply: 139
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Given that the messages from HM Government are both vague and indecisive, it’s no surprise that no one really knows what they’re supposed to do. That said, it would be great if everyone would be sympathetic to each other’s wishes and allow people to conduct their lives in the way they see fit.

I'm afraid that that horse bolted a long time ago. The idea of people being left alone to live their lives the way they see fit is now a pipedream.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 22, 2021, 11:00am; Reply: 140
Quoted from Croxton
Most of the crowd at The Oval tonight would be in Lew's camp I guess. Ten thousand including loads of superspreading kids singing, dancing and cheering a fine game of women's cricket. Perhaps those who had the Covid NHS App deleted it? Made the Cleethorpes crowd seem a sideshow.

The transition to 'personal responsibility' will throw up loads of contradictions and whataboutery. I was at Cleethorpes and wore a mask through the turnstile and at the bogs. I would have worn one all game if that was a condition of a seat in the shade.

Band Q today asked me to consider others by wearing a mask and keeping my distance. Everyone did. Ditto my local Tesco but it won't last long if the nudging stops. The infection rates in N.E. Lincs. have been raging recently and perhaps the launch of the Fanzone area this weekend may be problematic. No disrespect to you young 'uns but I'll be the old loner sipping a half of Dock's by the gate.

Still planning to go to Bromley but some of the lowest jab rates in London are not far away.
I've no issue with Town's statement and would expect most businesses in N.E. Lincs to take a cautious line for a few weeks yet.

Reports in the Times this week that some GPs are returning vaccine because of slow take up by under 30s. Given that under 30s are the most likely range to be in large groups for sports, raves, bars, night clubs, parties etc. it seems hardly surprising that this bloody virus is hanging about like it is.

Posted by: aldi_01, July 22, 2021, 11:04am; Reply: 141

Reports in the Times this week that some GPs are returning vaccine because of slow take up by under 30s. Given that under 30s are the most likely range to be in large groups for sports, raves, bars, night clubs, parties etc. it seems hardly surprising that this bloody virus is hanging about like it is.

Under 30s the blame group now then? Why not? Everyone else has been the scapegoat so far…
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 22, 2021, 11:22am; Reply: 142
Quoted from aldi_01

Under 30s the blame group now then? Why not? Everyone else has been the scapegoat so far…

I don’t blame them for acting normally, just stating a fact  Being so slow to get vaccinated doesn’t help clear the thing away. No good waiting for ping pong, get in there and get jabbed.

Posted by: pen penfras, July 22, 2021, 11:45am; Reply: 143

But given that this age group are highly unlikely to get seriously ill from the vaccine, which at this stage in any other vaccine would be considered experimental, and there have been side effects published for both the RNA type and viral vector, you can see why that age group would be more hesitant to get vaccinated.
Posted by: pen penfras, July 22, 2021, 11:47am; Reply: 144

I don’t blame them for acting normally, just stating a fact  Being so slow to get vaccinated doesn’t help clear the thing away. No good waiting for ping pong, get in there and get jabbed.

I think England getting to the final of the Euros was quite a big factor in the current spread too. Cases were flattening off 2 weeks ago and look to be flattening off again now. Last week's boom could well be because of the very close contact people were having indoors to watch the match together / at the pub
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 22, 2021, 11:56am; Reply: 145
Quoted from pen penfras

But given that this age group are highly unlikely to get seriously ill from the vaccine, which at this stage in any other vaccine would be considered experimental, and there have been side effects published for both the RNA type and viral vector, you can see why that age group would be more hesitant to get vaccinated.

Well you know more than me about these side effects and I agree about the Euros. It just seems obvious on face value that a slower vaccination uptake combined with greater social gatherings is unhelpful.

Posted by: Maringer, July 22, 2021, 12:06pm; Reply: 146
Quoted from pen penfras

I think England getting to the final of the Euros was quite a big factor in the current spread too. Cases were flattening off 2 weeks ago and look to be flattening off again now. Last week's boom could well be because of the very close contact people were having indoors to watch the match together / at the pub

Flattening off? On the rolling 7 day average, the government's Coronavirus dashboard is showing cases up 35.8% over the past week, deaths up 59.8% and hospital admissions up 38.6%. You need to look at the 7 day average due to the way in which the numbers reported move and change depending on when tests at taken or processed. Hardly flattening off. The enormous numbers of kids off school will probably have helped stop the surge to some degree but it's not really flattening off. No doubt that the football would have led to lots of cases but those are mostly baked in to the numbers now.

It is likely that the slight slowing of the rate of increase due to most kids being off school from tomorrow will be more than countered by the fact that so many people will have stopped wearing masks since the start of the week. The vaccination programme running is running pretty slowly at the moment and numbers of infections following "Freedom Day" will be rocketing up next week.
Posted by: Mrbump53, July 22, 2021, 12:10pm; Reply: 147
All vaccines approved for use in the UK are not considered experimental as they cannot be approved until they go through a set process. The speed of approval was due to all stages of the research being funded and analysis of effects done as the research stage progressed. A number of vaccines were discontinued due the research stages.

Slight side effects only reported in 11% of all doses administered and less than 1% have resulted in serious side effects. All vaccines have side effects and some more than others. The covid vaccines do not stand out above the normal levels of side effects.
Posted by: pen penfras, July 22, 2021, 12:57pm; Reply: 148
Quoted from Mrbump53
All vaccines approved for use in the UK are not considered experimental as they cannot be approved until they go through a set process. The speed of approval was due to all stages of the research being funded and analysis of effects done as the research stage progressed. A number of vaccines were discontinued due the research stages.

Slight side effects only reported in 11% of all doses administered and less than 1% have resulted in serious side effects. All vaccines have side effects and some more than others. The covid vaccines do not stand out above the normal levels of side effects.

The vaccine is approved for emergency use, due to the pandemic. It is not considered experimental because so many people have had it, but it hasn't gone through 10 years of trials to evaluate the long and short term effects like every other vaccine has.

The side effects I'm talking about are the serious side effects to do with heart, brain, blood clots and several others. The risk is very very small, but a 20 year old's chance of dying from covid is very small too, so side effects would be more of a consideration.

I'm not saying by any means that people shouldn't get the vaccine or that there's a danger by having it. What I'm saying is that hesitancy to get it is far more understandable for people who are not at much more risk of dying than they are of the flu.
Posted by: Croxton, July 22, 2021, 1:24pm; Reply: 149
You only have to look at the mapped infection rates, and dosage rates to see that some coastal areas like N.E. Lincs., Sunderland, Middlesborough, Yarmouth, Newcastle, Whitehaven, Barrow and even Gloucester are surging in a way that large swathes of the country are not. It's not scapegoating, just factual.

Whether it's the Euros, poverty rates, education or many other factors the geography of this wave is largely ignored by MSM. Local radio, TV and print media are only interested in easy wins. Informing the public about how this wave is progressing nationally is too dry for them. Easier to latch on to latest Twitter outrages.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, July 22, 2021, 2:14pm; Reply: 150
Quoted from Mrbump53

I am not disagreeing with you here but I wanted to correct one line: "the speed of approval was due to all stages of the research being funded.."

The vast majority of drug discovery and development in the UK is done by pharmaceutical and bioscience companies who fund trials all the way through. Funding has no impact on the speed of being granted a license. The speed of the vaccine's license was primarily because of the significant need and expected impact on the disease. This is standard practice if a drug is expected to have a major impact on a disease and there are a number of examples of drugs being granted a license more quickly than would be the normal case. They still have to provide satisfactory trial data that shows the impact on the disease and safety in human subjects. They also have to pass the 'benefit outweighs the risk' equation.

The key steps that the vaccines had to get over were proving safety and antibody response.

You will recall that one of the candidate vaccines was originally known as the Oxford/Astra Zeneca vaccine. It was developed at Oxford University but AZ picked it up very quickly and AZ will have funded most, if not all work on the vaccine from the moment they had the rights to it. That vaccine became the Astra Zeneca vaccine when it's license was granted.

Drug development can be slowed because of a lack of funding to publicly funded laboratories (like universities) but this is not part of the licensing process, this is further back in the development cycle. But, many promising drugs in development get sold to pharmaceutical companies who either fund the research or move the research into their own R+D centres where funding is not an issue. Very few promising compounds fail due to a lack of funding.
Posted by: Mrbump53, July 22, 2021, 4:12pm; Reply: 151
"The vast majority of drug discovery and development in the UK is done by pharmaceutical and bioscience companies who fund trials all the way through. Funding has no impact on the speed of being granted a license. The speed of the vaccine's license was primarily because of the significant need and expected impact on the disease."

This may be true in normal circumstances but recent research has highlighted

"The overwhelming majority of the money, especially in the early stages of the research, came from UK government departments, British and American scientific institutes, the European commission and charities including the Wellcome Trust."

"At least 97% of the funding for the development of the Oxford/AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine has been identified as coming from taxpayers or charitable trusts"

This is most likely due to the promise that the vaccine would be provided at cost of production and not general market sale prices.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, July 22, 2021, 9:09pm; Reply: 152
Quoted from Mrbump53
"The vast majority of drug discovery and development in the UK is done by pharmaceutical and bioscience companies who fund trials all the way through. Funding has no impact on the speed of being granted a license. The speed of the vaccine's license was primarily because of the significant need and expected impact on the disease."

This may be true in normal circumstances but recent research has highlighted

"The overwhelming majority of the money, especially in the early stages of the research, came from UK government departments, British and American scientific institutes, the European commission and charities including the Wellcome Trust."

"At least 97% of the funding for the development of the Oxford/AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine has been identified as coming from taxpayers or charitable trusts"

This is most likely due to the promise that the vaccine would be provided at cost of production and not general market sale prices.

I agree 100%. The vaccine was primarily developed at Oxford University. I would assume (but don't know) that AZ were needed for production and distribution, particularly for the scale of the task.

That said, the vaccines are almost unique in the way they have been approved and brought to market in a very short period of time. But that speed was never about funding.
Posted by: Maringer, July 22, 2021, 10:20pm; Reply: 153
Oxford were apparently planning to partner with Merck to develop the vaccine, a company have a lot of experience with vaccine trials, production and so forth (their own Covid vaccine attempts didn't work, however). However, the UK government nixed this (one of the things they did right with the pandemic), as they realised that Merck was a US company and the Yanks would basically keep any successes with the vaccine to themselves until they had all they needed. Unfortunately, AZ didn't have any experience with vaccines which explains some of the missteps in the trials and general problems with the rollout.

A real pity that the bloodclot issues arose with the AZ vaccine as, without them, we'd all have been fully vaccinated a month or two ago and Delta would probably have mostly been squashed in the UK.
Posted by: aldi_01, July 23, 2021, 5:52am; Reply: 154
Quoted from Maringer
Oxford were apparently planning to partner with Merck to develop the vaccine, a company have a lot of experience with vaccine trials, production and so forth (their own Covid vaccine attempts didn't work, however). However, the UK government nixed this (one of the things they did right with the pandemic), as they realised that Merck was a US company and the Yanks would basically keep any successes with the vaccine to themselves until they had all they needed. Unfortunately, AZ didn't have any experience with vaccines which explains some of the missteps in the trials and general problems with the rollout.

A real pity that the bloodclot issues arose with the AZ vaccine as, without them, we'd all have been fully vaccinated a month or two ago and Delta would probably have mostly been squashed in the UK.

Or not?

The vaccine rollout will be used a political weapon but doesn’t and shouldn’t make up for the incompetent government.

I’m short, and in answer to the original question…if you wanna wear a mask, wear one, if you don’t, then don’t. It’s your choice…simples.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, July 23, 2021, 9:48am; Reply: 155
Quoted from aldi_01

Or not?

The vaccine rollout will be used a political weapon but doesn’t and shouldn’t make up for the incompetent government.

I’m short, and in answer to the original question…if you wanna wear a mask, wear one, if you don’t, then don’t. It’s your choice…simples.

What has your height got to do with this? I'm not particularly tall myself but it doesn't influence my views on mask wearing.
Posted by: Maringer, July 23, 2021, 9:51am; Reply: 156
Reading between the lines, the JCVI advice that kids aged 12 and above don't need to be vaccinated is at least partially based on the fact that we don't have enough mRNA doses on order coming in to vaccinate them, at least not for some months. We delayed placing another order with Pfizer after our initial order which is now being used up for second doses for adults and the EU got in a 600 million dose order before us. The vaccine rollout has been a success so far, but watch the EU countries overtake us over the next few months and a number of European countries are already vaccinating kids aged 12 to 17 now. Quite possibly the explanation as to why our government has decided to let it rip amongst kids and young adults - another political decision, of course.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, July 23, 2021, 10:07am; Reply: 157

What has your height got to do with this? I'm not particularly tall myself but it doesn't influence my views on mask wearing.

I think there is still debate about whether tall people are more at risk at catching Covid than us more vertically challenged.

If transmission is from large droplets falling to the floor, smaller people would be more at risk.

If it is more aerosol driven, the particles will linger in the jet stream of a strapping six footer, so they can swallow them all up like a hungry basking shark.

Either way, it’s about time tall people took a long look in the mirror.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, July 23, 2021, 10:18am; Reply: 158
Quoted from Maringer
Reading between the lines, the JCVI advice that kids aged 12 and above don't need to be vaccinated is at least partially based on the fact that we don't have enough mRNA doses on order coming in to vaccinate them, at least not for some months. We delayed placing another order with Pfizer after our initial order which is now being used up for second doses for adults and the EU got in a 600 million dose order before us. The vaccine rollout has been a success so far, but watch the EU countries overtake us over the next few months and a number of European countries are already vaccinating kids aged 12 to 17 now. Quite possibly the explanation as to why our government has decided to let it rip amongst kids and young adults - another political decision, of course.

As of July 21st Belgium, Spain and Denmark were very close to our vaccination numbers. Italy, Germany and France were not far behind. All of them are currently accelerating their vaccination rate while the UK's has slowed significantly.
Iceland and Malta are already ahead of us but have a far smaller population.

It won't be months. It'll be a couple of weeks.

Sources: Our World in Data. http://www.statista.com
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, July 23, 2021, 10:25am; Reply: 159

I think there is still debate about whether tall people are more at risk at catching Covid than us more vertically challenged.

If transmission is from large droplets falling to the floor, smaller people would be more at risk.

If it is more aerosol driven, the particles will linger in the jet stream of a strapping six footer, so they can swallow them all up like a hungry basking shark.

Either way, it’s about time tall people look a long look in the mirror.

You're not taking into account head size (oo er matron) and size of chin. A big 'ead or Hill like facial protrusion means that masks cover a smaller surface area (proportionally) whilst tiny faced hobbits have a far larger area tarpaulined.

In Lidl and at the Petunia Growers Cooperative I immediately make for the tiny faced so as to increase my relative level of safety.
Posted by: pen penfras, July 23, 2021, 10:38am; Reply: 160

As of July 21st Belgium, Spain and Denmark were very close to our vaccination numbers. Italy, Germany and France were not far behind. All of them are currently accelerating their vaccination rate while the UK's has slowed significantly.
Iceland and Malta are already ahead of us but have a far smaller population.

It won't be months. It'll be a couple of weeks.

Sources: Our World in Data. http://www.statista.com

There was a chart on the BBC yesterday that showed the vaccination progress, and whilst what you're saying sounds true, all of the countries with higher rates saw the same slow down after reaching a similar proportion of the population than us. Canada raced ahead, then stalled and we're now at about the same rate. The same will happen will most of the others, because not everybody is going to get the vaccine and France, who are a very vaccine sceptic country, would be very unlikely to overtake us.

America has the same situation. Vaccine supply is no problem, but they have slowed down for a while now.
Posted by: aldi_01, July 23, 2021, 12:29pm; Reply: 161
At the end of the day, uptake could be the contributing factor in the slow down of uptake.

They’ve floated this ridiculous idea of passports to essentially blackmail people in to having the vaccine. They’re now going after the 20-30 age range, probably the only group of people left that haven’t been blamed…

How were 17 pages in to statement the club had to make is a good effort though.

The message is the same though; if you wanna wear when then wear one, if you don’t, then don’t. Respect each other’s opinions and crack on…
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, July 23, 2021, 12:43pm; Reply: 162
Quoted from pen penfras

There was a chart on the BBC yesterday that showed the vaccination progress, and whilst what you're saying sounds true, all of the countries with higher rates saw the same slow down after reaching a similar proportion of the population than us. Canada raced ahead, then stalled and we're now at about the same rate. The same will happen will most of the others, because not everybody is going to get the vaccine and France, who are a very vaccine sceptic country, would be very unlikely to overtake us.

America has the same situation. Vaccine supply is no problem, but they have slowed down for a while now.

I didn't mention Canada or the US because the original post talked about EU countries. This also meant that I didn't mention Israel who are now seen as the model for vaccination globally. You're right that the rate will slow down as higher proportions of the population are vaccinated but other countries will also begin to vaccinate groups that we have chosen not to vaccinate.

But, France has just announced that you won't be able to attend or enter certain events and public spaces without proving you have had both vaccinations and had also announced that all healthcare workers have to be vaccinated. It's expected that this will speed up their vaccination rate, in a country that's not over keen on vaccination.

I also read a report that Germany's rate of vaccination is ferocious and won't be slowing in the near future. The Germans lagged behind much of Europe relative to it's size, healthcare system and wealth. It is now making up for that at a rate.
Posted by: aldi_01, July 23, 2021, 12:48pm; Reply: 163

I didn't mention Canada or the US because the original post talked about EU countries. This also meant that I didn't mention Israel who are now seen as the model for vaccination globally. You're right that the rate will slow down as higher proportions of the population are vaccinated but other countries will also begin to vaccinate groups that we have chosen not to vaccinate.

But, France has just announced that you won't be able to attend or enter certain events and public spaces without proving you have had both vaccinations and had also announced that all healthcare workers have to be vaccinated. It's expected that this will speed up their vaccination rate, in a country that's not over keen on vaccination.

I also read a report that Germany's rate of vaccination is ferocious and won't be slowing in the near future. The Germans lagged behind much of Europe relative to it's size, healthcare system and wealth. It is now making up for that at a rate.

The draconian bullying from the french goes further than simply bullying folk into having a vaccine. A close friend is coming back having spent the entire shebang in France. He’s had french citizenship for a while but is taking the opportunity to visit his parents this summer. His take is that France will see some kick back…they’re introducing the idea that if you need a PCR test you’ll have to pay being one…

Comparing countries throughout this has been commonplace but hasn’t really helped anything…it’s just fuelled more aggression towards either those who don’t want a vaccine or against the government , those in favour of rules and lockdown and those fed up of them…
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, July 23, 2021, 12:55pm; Reply: 164
Quoted from aldi_01

The draconian bullying from the french goes further than simply bullying folk into having a vaccine. A close friend is coming back having spent the entire shebang in France. He’s had french citizenship for a while but is taking the opportunity to visit his parents this summer. His take is that France will see some kick back…they’re introducing the idea that if you need a PCR test you’ll have to pay being one…

Comparing countries throughout this has been commonplace but hasn’t really helped anything…it’s just fuelled more aggression towards either those who don’t want a vaccine or against the government , those in favour of rules and lockdown and those fed up of them…

Whilst using phrases like "the draconian bullying from the French" and "if you need a PCR test you'll have to pay..." (based on the opinion of 'your mate in France')  are helpful in not fuelling aggression?
Posted by: aldi_01, July 23, 2021, 1:13pm; Reply: 165
It’s not an opinion, it’s fact…that’s what they’ve got to do.

The rules are draconian, that’s not fuelling aggression, if someone was to say the idiots following the draconian rules are stupid etc…that’s fuelling aggression, simply describing them for what they are isn’t fuelling anything.

They’re punitive measures. Have they been effective? Probably not, now that is a debate that can cause tempers to fray…

We’re 17 pages in but as I said earlier; wanna wear one? Do it. If you don’t, then don’t. Simples. Nobody is forcing anyone either way.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, July 23, 2021, 1:20pm; Reply: 166
Quoted from aldi_01
It’s not an opinion, it’s fact…that’s what they’ve got to do.

The rules are draconian, that’s not fuelling aggression, if someone was to say the idiots following the draconian rules are stupid etc…that’s fuelling aggression, simply describing them for what they are isn’t fuelling anything.

They’re punitive measures. Have they been effective? Probably not, now that is a debate that can cause tempers to fray…

We’re 17 pages in but as I said earlier; wanna wear one? Do it. If you don’t, then don’t. Simples. Nobody is forcing anyone either way.

I don't see a single fact in your posts. But, I've been mansplained and I'll shut up because data and verifiable statistics are the enemy of online discussion.
Posted by: LondonMariner43, July 23, 2021, 1:23pm; Reply: 167
Surely this thread is ‘non footy’?
Posted by: aldi_01, July 23, 2021, 1:36pm; Reply: 168

I don't see a single fact in your posts. But, I've been mansplained and I'll shut up because data and verifiable statistics are the enemy of online discussion.

I’ve not stated that data is incorrect? I mean if you want mansplaining it can be arranged but you’re being a bit temperamental to the fact I explained my point…I’ve not even made a comment about yours either.

Did you read the most important sentence? The one that relates to the original topic point; masks? It’s really simple, wear one of you want. If you don’t then don’t bother…did it really need a 17 pages thread which is now simply replicating a pre-existing thread in non footy?
Posted by: Civvy at last, July 23, 2021, 3:19pm; Reply: 169
With regard to mask policy. The fact is that the government are doing what the vast majority of this country want them to do.
The usual empty vessels are making the most noise.

I hate wearing a mask.  However, I will wear one tomorrow whilst queuing for match/bar/toilets etc. My view is that if it makes those more cautious than me (no right or wrong there)  feel better, then I’ll do it. I’m looking forward to tomorrow. And if wearing a mask for a little while means others can enjoy it too then so be it.
UTM
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, July 23, 2021, 4:18pm; Reply: 170
Quoted from Civvy at last
With regard to mask policy. The fact is that the government are doing what the vast majority of this country want them to do.
The usual empty vessels are making the most noise.

I hate wearing a mask.  However, I will wear one tomorrow whilst queuing for match/bar/toilets etc. My view is that if it makes those more cautious than me (no right or wrong there)  feel better, then I’ll do it. I’m looking forward to tomorrow. And if wearing a mask for a little while means others can enjoy it too then so be it.
UTM

I agree with you 100% but they're not doing what the majority want! Both the Office for National Statistics and YouGov have run surveys/polls that show consistently that people believe masks are good for public health and that they will continue to wear one. I'm simplifying a number of surveys/polls that asked a range of questions. Sorry again to introduce data into the thread.

I think the government is listening to it's internal stakeholders, it's donors and the vocal minority within it's own party ranks who are obsessed with what they perceive as freedom.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, July 23, 2021, 4:22pm; Reply: 171
Quoted from aldi_01

I mean if you want mansplaining it can be arranged  

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....

Is your dad bigger than my dad?
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 23, 2021, 5:42pm; Reply: 172

I agree with you 100% but they're not doing what the majority want! Both the Office for National Statistics and YouGov have run surveys/polls that show consistently that people believe masks are good for public health and that they will continue to wear one. I'm simplifying a number of surveys/polls that asked a range of questions. Sorry again to introduce data into the thread.

I think the government is listening to it's internal stakeholders, it's donors and the vocal minority within it's own party ranks who are obsessed with what they perceive as freedom.

Are you sure? When we see film and photo of big maskless crowds they look young to me, hardly Tory fodder. And then of course we have the conspiracy theorists led by Corbyn’s brother. Another point, neither I nor anyone I know has been polled on any Covid or mask issue. So who is?

Posted by: Stadium, July 24, 2021, 3:32pm; Reply: 173

From the photographs in the GT it looks like most were mask less.
Rather a waste of time even discussing it in the first place.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 24, 2021, 3:52pm; Reply: 174
Quoted from Stadium

From the photographs in the GT it looks like most were mask less.
Rather a waste of time even discussing it in the first place.

Fancy that.

3000 selfish illegitimates who don't give a toss about anybody else (according to most on this thread).

It was blindingly obvious nobody would wear a mask outside, so why the club had to encourage something we would ignore is anybody's guess.
Posted by: Stadium, July 24, 2021, 4:04pm; Reply: 175

Fancy that.

3000 selfish illegitimates who don't give a toss about anybody else (according to most on this thread).

It was blindingly obvious nobody would wear a mask outside, so why the club had to encourage something we would ignore is anybody's guess.

Sigh.
So after page after page you haven't realised it was a government communication for people to take personal responsibility?
Try looking around at other clubs,the advice is strikingly similar.

Posted by: Grantley, July 24, 2021, 4:17pm; Reply: 176
Hopefully we can end this debate so we can get back to talking about people who booed the knee today.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, July 24, 2021, 5:16pm; Reply: 177
Quoted from Grantley
Hopefully we can end this debate so we can get back to talking about people who booed the knee today.

Well for a change I sat in the Pontoon and heard no booing just applause so not sure if it was the same throughout the ground.
Posted by: AussieMariner, July 24, 2021, 5:51pm; Reply: 178
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Well for a change I sat in the Pontoon and heard no booing just applause so not sure if it was the same throughout the ground.

There was a bloke in front of me in the lower who booed but he was pretty much on his own
I heard him trying justify it to someone afterwards - all a bit pathetic tbh
Posted by: Stadium, July 24, 2021, 6:00pm; Reply: 179
Quoted from AussieMariner

There was a bloke in front of me in the lower who booed but he was pretty much on his own
I heard him trying justify it to someone afterwards - all a bit pathetic tbh

Didn't someone say it would be widespread booing & opposition when the fans returned (which is everybody's right by by the way)?
Bad week,GB news failure & a car crash thread around the non issue on masks.

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 24, 2021, 6:45pm; Reply: 180
I don’t know but human nature about not wanting to spoil Macca’s day might have something to do with people’s response today.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 24, 2021, 9:12pm; Reply: 181
Quoted from Stadium

[/b]

Sigh.
So after page after page you haven't realised it was a government communication for people to take personal responsibility?
Try looking around at other clubs,the advice is strikingly similar.

I am sorry to the labour the point but I am not sure what you are getting at.

The club put out a statement to its fans, encouraging them to behave in a certain way. I am a fan and said they had made a mistake because it was obvious people would not wear masks outside and neither was it a requirement under the current guidelines.  I said anybody can wear a mask if they wanted to, but why encourage others when it was obviously futile. What I meant was people will decide for themselves what to do. I am not concerned about what other companies may do to tick a box that did not need ticking.

As is their right, posters vehemently argued that I was wrong, and that fans would indeed wear masks to protect other people and that I should not be selfish with a few expletives thrown in for good measure. The 99% of maskless fans there today weren't being selfish, they were enjoying the football mask free whilst appreciating the tiny risk they were taking; they are grown-ups and would have known that anybody who really was that worried about covid would not have gone to the game.

We have all seen the photos from today. Not a mask in sight, just as I said. I was proved correct, and my detractors were wrong. I did not expect all this fuss as I thought I was making a valid point but have repeatedly tried to explain the practical and logical position that the club did not need to issue such guidance which was quite unnessesary.  
Posted by: Stadium, July 24, 2021, 10:14pm; Reply: 182

The club put out a statement to its fans, encouraging them to behave in a certain way. I am a fan and said they had made a mistake because it was obvious people would not wear masks outside and neither was it a requirement under the current guidelines.  I said anybody can wear a mask if they wanted to, but why encourage others when it was obviously futile. What I meant was people will decide for themselves what to do. I am not concerned about what other companies may do to tick a box that did not need ticking.

As is their right, posters vehemently argued that I was wrong, and that fans would indeed wear masks to protect other people and that I should not be selfish with a few expletives thrown in for good measure. The 99% of maskless fans there today weren't being selfish, they were enjoying the football mask free whilst appreciating the tiny risk they were taking; they are grown-ups and would have known that anybody who really was that worried about covid would not have gone to the game.

We have all seen the photos from today. Not a mask in sight, just as I said. I was proved correct, and my detractors were wrong. I did not expect all this fuss as I thought I was making a valid point but have repeatedly tried to explain the practical and logical position that the club did not need to issue such guidance which was quite unnessesary.  

Trying looking again at the photographs.
Some people did wear them,some didn't.
Personal choice as explained many times.
The club is following government guidance like many others by issuing the statement.
Why you need to keep trying to prove a point I don't really know?
I'm pretty sure anyone who attended took a personal choice, had a great day & wasn't remotely bothered by the clubs statement.

Posted by: mariner91, July 24, 2021, 10:22pm; Reply: 183

Gosh you're self-important and dull.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, July 24, 2021, 10:43pm; Reply: 184

You really showed those imaginary people giving you imaginary grief that you've been banging on about all week.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 24, 2021, 11:10pm; Reply: 185
Needless to say, you had the last laugh.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, July 24, 2021, 11:19pm; Reply: 186

Fancy that.

⬆️ A post that illustrates why many people think the Fishy is full of small minded ignorance, I’m no Oxbridge graduate but I wore a mask as I’ve had COVID and despite being vaccinated I thought it was the right thing to do.

I also heard “supporters” booing when the players took the knee. It came from the set of w@nkers who sit 4/5 rows up in the Upper between seats 10 - 29 who often embarrass the club on away trips and constantly offer out away support from their seats 30 ft up.

A couple of negative spots on a good day!
Posted by: aldi_01, July 25, 2021, 3:28am; Reply: 187
Can this thread be closed now…as predicted, a handful worse masks, from my vantage point many didn’t. The end…let’s enjoy the fact we were in BP and saw a decent game…
Posted by: Mayaman, July 25, 2021, 4:15am; Reply: 188

I'm alright Jack.

Posted by: DB, July 25, 2021, 6:18am; Reply: 189
I'm not anti, nor a fan of Piers Morgan and have just read this article by him on him. To me, it sums up what can happen at a match even if you have been double jabbed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9821615/The-vaccine-saved-life-PIERS-MORGAN-reveals-caught-Covid-Euros-final.html

As I always say we all have choices and they should be respected by others, but the choice of going out and infecting others, even by accident, is a bitter pill to swallow.

Just saying. :(
Posted by: ska face, July 25, 2021, 6:59am; Reply: 190
One of the major downsides of the vaccine is that it lowers the likelihood of Piers Morgan dying.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 25, 2021, 9:14am; Reply: 191
Quoted from Mayaman

I'm alright Jack.

What do you mean I am alright Jack?!

3000 people or thereabouts went to the game without a mask on. They were not thinking I am alright Jack, they knew perfectly well the small risk they were taking. A lot of people thought fans would have worn masks to "protect others" but it was never going to happen.

Obviously, anybody who did not want to take the risk, however small,  would not have gone. That is simply the truth. What other way is there of saying it? Fans were encouraged to wear a mask but refused, as they wanted to enjoy their day out unhindered as they felt the risk was very small. It is not me, it is the 3000 fans who, as expected, did not wear a mask.  

People make their own decisions and I'm alright Jack does them a great disservice.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 25, 2021, 9:15am; Reply: 192
Quoted from Stadium

Trying looking again at the photographs.
Some people did wear them,some didn't.
Personal choice as explained many times.
The club is following government guidance like many others by issuing the statement.
Why you need to keep trying to prove a point I don't really know?
I'm pretty sure anyone who attended took a personal choice, had a great day & wasn't remotely bothered by the clubs statement.

I have said before 99% did not wear masks. Is that about right?
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 25, 2021, 9:16am; Reply: 193
Quoted from mariner91

Gosh you're self-important and dull.

I prefer realistic and pragmatic but each to their own.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 25, 2021, 9:20am; Reply: 194
Quoted from HertsGTFC

⬆️ A post that illustrates why many people think the Fishy is full of small minded ignorance, I’m no Oxbridge graduate but I wore a mask as I’ve had COVID and despite being vaccinated I thought it was the right thing to do.

I also heard “supporters” booing when the players took the knee. It came from the set of w@nkers who sit 4/5 rows up in the Upper between seats 10 - 29 who often embarrass the club on away trips and constantly offer out away support from their seats 30 ft up.

A couple of negative spots on a good day!

I agree with you as I said in the opening post - if anybody wants to wear a mask outdoors then fine.

I was being ironic - according to most on here, those without masks were being selfish and much worse. You did not think that of all the people sat around you maskless, did you?
Posted by: aldi_01, July 25, 2021, 9:59am; Reply: 195
Isn’t thinking people who don’t wear a mask being selfish or self centred is the same as those who choose not wear one mocking those who do?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, July 25, 2021, 10:04am; Reply: 196

I agree with you as I said in the opening post - if anybody wants to wear a mask outdoors then fine.

I was being ironic - according to most on here, those without masks were being selfish and much worse. You did not think that of all the people sat around you maskless, did you?

To be honest I’m not bothered what people around me where doing in terms of masks, I can’t control what others do.

What bothers me more was the lack of stewarding at half time at the log jam at the bottom of the stairs in the Upper where there is still a scrum for the bar, toilets and refreshments. Not an easy thing to manage for sure but I’m not sure anyone was trying and the amount of risk was clearly high compared to being sat in my seat.  
Posted by: Hagrid, July 25, 2021, 10:05am; Reply: 197
You got your life savings on more than 90% of a crowd to not wear a mask?

Jesus christ you’re obsessed
Posted by: aldi_01, July 25, 2021, 10:38am; Reply: 198
Quoted from HertsGTFC

To be honest I’m not bothered what people around me where doing in terms of masks, I can’t control what others do.

What bothers me more was the lack of stewarding at half time at the log jam at the bottom of the stairs in the Upper where there is still a scrum for the bar, toilets and refreshments. Not an easy thing to manage for sure but I’m not sure anyone was trying and the amount of risk was clearly high compared to being sat in my seat.  

To be fair, the biggest issue I saw yesterday was the food truck in the corner of the findus/pontoon…whilst it was clearly popular and decent grub it was far too slow…once the season starts I suspect people will get frustrated at how long it took…

All for it in fanzine thoigh, nice to support local business and different foods…
Posted by: Stadium, July 25, 2021, 10:43am; Reply: 199

I wouldn't know what percentage did or didn't.
People took a personal decision & I'm sure respected other supporters with different views.
I'm at a loss why you don't seem to be able to understand this & the club following guidance.
99% of the posters seem to agree,is that about right?

Posted by: Stadium, July 25, 2021, 10:46am; Reply: 200
Quoted from aldi_01

To be fair, the biggest issue I saw yesterday was the food truck in the corner of the findus/pontoon…whilst it was clearly popular and decent grub it was far too slow…once the season starts I suspect people will get frustrated at how long it took…

All for it in fanzine thoigh, nice to support local business and different foods…

What was the food offered / name of the truck Aldi?
Thanks.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, July 25, 2021, 10:47am; Reply: 201
Quoted from aldi_01

Clearly lots of learnings but at least the club are trying something different after decades of apathy
Posted by: aldi_01, July 25, 2021, 11:19am; Reply: 202
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Clearly lots of learnings but at least the club are trying something different after decades of apathy

Agreed, wasn’t a dig, I think it’s a great idea but I just think perhaps within the ground like that one, simple is the way forward or a reduced menu to help.

In answer to your question Stadium it was Social Kitchen I think but couldn’t see exactly what they were selling…whatever it was they sold a flipping boatload…
Posted by: Civvy at last, July 25, 2021, 11:28am; Reply: 203
Like most I had a fantastic day.  One small thing though. I think that £4.50 a pint in the fanzone will put a few off.
Highlight of the day for me was Macca being really embarrassed at having to make a speech in McMenemy’s also Paul Hurst laughing and joking and really enjoying himself. I can honestly say I don’t think I saw that ever in his last appointment with us. UTM

Edit. I’ve just realised I’ve posted this on entirely the wrong thread.
🙈
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 25, 2021, 12:03pm; Reply: 204
Quoted from Hagrid
You got your life savings on more than 90% of a crowd to not wear a mask?

Jesus christ you’re obsessed

I am just standing up for the right to voice an alternative view, without posters going to extremes and saying people who, in this case, would not wear masks in accordance with the lifting of all restrictions were arrogant/selfish/trying to cause harm to their fellow fans and were the scourge of society. It was an unjust slur and a nonsense  and I said so. I would have left it at that till the extreme posts started and now I am just defending myself and my fellow 3000 odd fans who did not wear masks and were not the scourge of society.  
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 25, 2021, 12:15pm; Reply: 205
Quoted from Stadium

I wouldn't know what percentage did or didn't.
People took a personal decision & I'm sure respected other supporters with different views.
I'm at a loss why you don't seem to be able to understand this & the club following guidance.
99% of the posters seem to agree,is that about right?

I am not here to participate in groupthink. I gave an honest appraisal that the statement from the club was a nonsense, which has been vindicated by the abuse given to those who would not wear a mask because all restrictions had been lifted, which by association meant that 3000 or so of my fellow Town fans were arrogant/anti-social/trying to harm vulnerable people, which of course is a load of old cobblers. I really cannot understand why you cannot see it.

We seem to agree that all restrictions had been lifted; our disagreement seems to be that you think the club should have encouraged supporters to wear a mask by way of a statement (which was obviously going to be ignored) and I did not.

If we all agreed there would be no need for a forum, would there?
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, July 25, 2021, 1:06pm; Reply: 206
If only people could be encouraged to stop posting on this thread, it might just allow them time for other things of actual value rather than going round and round in circles ad infinitum.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 25, 2021, 1:09pm; Reply: 207

I am not here to participate in groupthink. I gave an honest appraisal that the statement from the club was a nonsense, which has been vindicated by the abuse given to those who would not wear a mask because all restrictions had been lifted, which by association meant that 3000 or so of my fellow Town fans were arrogant/anti-social/trying to harm vulnerable people, which of course is a load of old cobblers. I really cannot understand why you cannot see it.

We seem to agree that all restrictions had been lifted; our disagreement seems to be that you think the club should have encouraged supporters to wear a mask by way of a statement (which was obviously going to be ignored) and I did not.

When people start quoting words from 1984 like “groupthink” thinking that they’re independent thinkers ……..
Posted by: Stadium, July 25, 2021, 2:06pm; Reply: 208

??
Nowhere did I say the club should have encouraged supporters to wear a mask.
The club is acting upon guidance as many others have done with fixtures this weekend.
You cant seem to grasp the concept of this.
Unfortunately you have exposed yourself to ridicule with your initial posting, however that's fine.
Its an internet forum, feel free to disagree.
Posted by: Stadium, July 25, 2021, 2:08pm; Reply: 209
Quoted from aldi_01

Agreed, wasn’t a dig, I think it’s a great idea but I just think perhaps within the ground like that one, simple is the way forward or a reduced menu to help.

In answer to your question Stadium it was Social Kitchen I think but couldn’t see exactly what they were selling…whatever it was they sold a flipping boatload…

Thank you.
Posted by: Chrisblor, July 25, 2021, 2:36pm; Reply: 210

Christ just go away and entertain yourself with Laurence Fox's twitter feed instead of digging yourself even further into a hole, you complete dullard, You'd have saved everyone a load of time and bother if you'd stuck to your promise further up the thread:

Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 25, 2021, 2:44pm; Reply: 211
Quoted from Stadium

??
Nowhere did I say the club should have encouraged supporters to wear a mask.
The club is acting upon guidance as many others have done with fixtures this weekend.
You cant seem to grasp the concept of this.
Unfortunately you have exposed yourself to ridicule with your initial posting, however that's fine.
Its an internet forum, feel free to disagree.

I don't know why you keep repeating this line. It has NEVER been mandatory to wear a mask outdoors, in all the time covid has been around, and most certainly not after the 19th July when ALL restrictions were lifted. No social distancing, no masks (except
in one or two exceptional circumstances like public transport) indoors or outdoors was necessary. None. You could go about your business totally unhindered. If the government issued guidance, it was not about being encouraged to wear masks outside, was it?

The argument then went on as to whether the Town fans should show how caring sharing and considerate they were by nonetheless wearing masks at the game. I said they wouldn't, and they should not be singled out as being anti social or mean spirited, or being inconsiderate as that would be totally unfair.

Approx 3000 fans agreed, and did not wear masks - why should they?
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 25, 2021, 2:47pm; Reply: 212
Quoted from Chrisblor

Christ just go away and entertain yourself with Laurence Fox's twitter feed instead of digging yourself even further into a hole, you complete dullard, You'd have saved everyone a load of time and bother if you'd stuck to your promise further up the thread:

I'm sorry about that. I should have said I retain the right of reply.

PS Apart from throwing insults around, have you anything meaningful to add?
Posted by: Stadium, July 25, 2021, 3:46pm; Reply: 213

I'm sorry about that. I should have said I retain the right of reply.

PS Apart from throwing insults around, have you anything meaningful to add?

Thought you said it's a forum for debate?
Posted by: Grantley, July 25, 2021, 3:46pm; Reply: 214

I don't know why you keep repeating this line. It has NEVER been mandatory to wear a mask outdoors, in all the time covid has been around, and most certainly not after the 19th July when ALL restrictions were lifted. No social distancing, no masks (except
in one or two exceptional circumstances like public transport) indoors or outdoors was necessary. None. You could go about your business totally unhindered. If the government issued guidance, it was not about being encouraged to wear masks outside, was it?

The argument then went on as to whether the Town fans should show how caring sharing and considerate they were by nonetheless wearing masks at the game. I said they wouldn't, and they should not be singled out as being anti social or mean spirited, or being inconsiderate as that would be totally unfair.

I really enjoyed myself yesterday, wearing my mask as I entered the Upper as the spaces, toilets and corridors are quite small spaces. I removed my mask upon sitting down in my seat as I was then outside, not sitting particularly near anyone or even facing someone in the same direction. And guess what? I felt comfortable doing as the club had said so! They gave me my own choice to wear, or not wear, a mask whenever I please, or don’t please. The word selfish was used 4 times in 200+ posts in this thread - the reason you’re being lambasted for your daft arguments is because you’re sticking your fingers in your ears and are simply not willing to listen to any logic other than your own.

3008 people didn’t attend yesterday because they agree with you - this thread should tell you that but I guess it probably won’t. Did you enjoy the game?
Posted by: Stadium, July 25, 2021, 3:51pm; Reply: 215

Read the statement.
It doesn't mention outdoors & I haven't mentioned it.
Nobody has said about the legality of wearing one.

Government guidance on masks as below:

You should use your judgement in deciding where you should wear one. Businesses, including transport operators, can also ask their employees and customers to wear face coverings. You should check with operators of services, venues, and settings that you use.

As a responsible business the club & numerous others offered some guidance as you would expect in line with the statement above.

Example:

https://www.bradfordcityafc.com/news/2021/july/covid-19-restrictions-bradford-city-v-blackburn-rovers/

https://www.wearehullcity.co.uk/news/2021/july/supporter-information-ahead-of-mansfield/

Carry on with your crusade as it's a forum for debate though.
Posted by: LH, July 25, 2021, 4:18pm; Reply: 216

Broken clocks etc
Posted by: headingly_mariner, July 25, 2021, 5:01pm; Reply: 217
I’m a bit twitchy about Covid after seeing a few young healthy folk get pretty ill and I don’t like the idea of bringing it home to my kids.
I was happy to see lots of people wearing masks while moving through the parts of the ground that are inside and giving each other space.
I’m comfortable that the risk is low in the stands.
Posted by: Civvy at last, July 25, 2021, 5:04pm; Reply: 218
Ok. The match has been and gone. A cracking crowd. Some with and some without masks. As will happen with the league games.
Any chance we could end the p1ssing contest and put this thread to bed.
UTM
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 25, 2021, 5:45pm; Reply: 219
If it was a pißing contest, Lew would have wet jeans because he’s done the metaphorical equivalent of forgetting to unzip before letting forth a stream of pish.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 25, 2021, 5:50pm; Reply: 220
Quoted from Stadium

Read the statement.
It doesn't mention outdoors & I haven't mentioned it.
Nobody has said about the legality of wearing one.

Government guidance on masks as below:

You should use your judgement in deciding where you should wear one. Businesses, including transport operators, can also ask their employees and customers to wear face coverings. You should check with operators of services, venues, and settings that you use.

As a responsible business the club & numerous others offered some guidance as you would expect in line with the statement above.

Example:

https://www.bradfordcityafc.com/news/2021/july/covid-19-restrictions-bradford-city-v-blackburn-rovers/

https://www.wearehullcity.co.uk/news/2021/july/supporter-information-ahead-of-mansfield/

Carry on with your crusade as it's a forum for debate though.

Well the statement didn't really have to mention outdoors, did it? Its a football match. It never mentioned indoors either, not that it matters because all restrictions have been lifted.

God, I really would have hit the roof if that Bradford statement had been ours. Telling you to wear face masks while watching the game??!

I just looked on the Bantams forum, and surprise surprise there is a debate/crusade just like this one.

Their fans estimate 5% of the Bradford fans took any notice, clearly of the opinion that wearing a face covering outside is pointless.
Posted by: Stadium, July 25, 2021, 6:14pm; Reply: 221

Well the statement didn't really have to mention outdoors, did it? Its a football match. It never mentioned indoors either, not that it matters because all restrictions have been lifted.

God, I really would have hit the roof if that Bradford statement had been ours. Telling you to wear face masks while watching the game??!

I just looked on the Bantams forum, and surprise surprise there is a debate/crusade just like this one.

Their fans estimate 5% of the Bradford fans took any notice, clearly of the opinion that wearing a face covering outside is pointless.

??
I believe you brought up the issue of masks outdoors?

All they have done is sow the seeds of doubt that here we go again, another season that will be different / disrupte

At last & after numerous requests you have managed to carry out some simple research & find that the guidance has been adopted by other clubs & not exclusive to Grimsby Town.
Great work with the statistics which you have absolutely no idea of verifying as you incorrectly assumed with the ones on Saturday at Blundell Park.
No doubt the  fans of other clubs had a a great experience, as did many on Saturday here & wasn't concerned with the advice at all.
The Bradford City thread debates mainly COVID passports, a different proposition.
Luckily they didn't have a thread questioning a simple statement made by the club based on government guidance.
Feel free to report back with information from other fan forums to support your viewpoint.

Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 25, 2021, 7:19pm; Reply: 222
Quoted from Stadium

??
I believe you brought up the issue of masks outdoors?

All they have done is sow the seeds of doubt that here we go again, another season that will be different / disrupte

At last & after numerous requests you have managed to carry out some simple research & find that the guidance has been adopted by other clubs & not exclusive to Grimsby Town.
Great work with the statistics which you have absolutely no idea of verifying as you incorrectly assumed with the ones on Saturday at Blundell Park.
No doubt the  fans of other clubs had a a great experience, as did many on Saturday here & wasn't concerned with the advice at all.
The Bradford City thread debates mainly COVID passports, a different proposition.
Luckily they didn't have a thread questioning a simple statement made by the club based on government guidance.
Feel free to report back with information from other fan forums to support your viewpoint.

Thank you for highlighting my original post.

How that simple post has evoked so many disgruntled replies I will never know. I disagreed with a club statement because all restrictions had been lifted, and in my eyes "encouragement" was pointless as next to nobody was going to wear a mask outside. I was also concerned it sowed the seeds of doubt about covid affecting the forthcoming season, just when people had paid for their season tickets.

I will let you have the last word, as even I am bored with it.
Posted by: Stadium, July 25, 2021, 7:40pm; Reply: 223

How that simple post has evoked so many disgruntled replies I will never know. I disagreed with a club statement because all restrictions had been lifted, and in my eyes "encouragement" was pointless as next to nobody was going to wear a mask outside. I was also concerned it sowed the seeds of doubt about covid affecting the forthcoming season, just when people had paid for their season tickets.

Thanks for acknowledging the points raised which you have totally ignored.
" as even I am bored with it."
What a surprise, with your refusal to consider other posters opinions most people were bored as soon as you posted.

Posted by: BlackandWhiteBarmy2, July 26, 2021, 2:01am; Reply: 224

Yes getting back to your original post. Why? what was the point? I haven't really worked out how you can disagree with a statement that only 'encourages' people to take a certain action. I suppose if the club 'encourage' fans to arrive early for a game that may have a large attendance you will post that you will arrive at whatever time you choose and that the club shouldn't have made such a statement.

A truly pointless thread that I encourage people to ignore.

Posted by: pen penfras, July 26, 2021, 10:35am; Reply: 225
Quoted from Maringer

Flattening off? On the rolling 7 day average, the government's Coronavirus dashboard is showing cases up 35.8% over the past week, deaths up 59.8% and hospital admissions up 38.6%. You need to look at the 7 day average due to the way in which the numbers reported move and change depending on when tests at taken or processed. Hardly flattening off. The enormous numbers of kids off school will probably have helped stop the surge to some degree but it's not really flattening off. No doubt that the football would have led to lots of cases but those are mostly baked in to the numbers now.

It is likely that the slight slowing of the rate of increase due to most kids being off school from tomorrow will be more than countered by the fact that so many people will have stopped wearing masks since the start of the week. The vaccination programme running is running pretty slowly at the moment and numbers of infections following "Freedom Day" will be rocketing up next week.

It's nice to spout statistics that prove your point, yet ignore the ones that don't. Still want to claim that things weren't flattening off and the Euros was the big factor? And as for school kids being off contributing, most weren't even off by the time I made that statement. The effect of kids being off school won't even be seen until next week.
Posted by: aldi_01, July 26, 2021, 11:04am; Reply: 226
Quoted from pen penfras

It's nice to spout statistics that prove your point, yet ignore the ones that don't. Still want to claim that things weren't flattening off and the Euros was the big factor? And as for school kids being off contributing, most weren't even off by the time I made that statement. The effect of kids being off school won't even be seen until next week.

Similarly, there’s always an increase in attendance at A&E during summer holidays, even more you’d imagine with folk holidaying in the uk.

Let’s not forget that in the nearly 1m school kids being off school, only around 40k had a positive case. The guidance and support from the PHE teams wasn’t always helpful either, trust me, I called them 3 times in a week and was given a different response every time yet I was ringing with the same query.

Your point about stats is relevant and as we’ve seen throughout, the stats aren’t trustworthy enough, they’ve been changed or presented in whichever way suits the agenda. Anyone that has been vocal or presented things to the contrary has often been pushed to the back or not given a platform. Then numbers have gone down this week…

Anyway, back to the actual thread topic, as predicated, the club gave a statement they were probably in no other position to do than release it; some chose to wear masks, where I was sat that was nothing more than a handful. That’s their choice and we respect that. Others chose not to…the end.

Thread closed surely?
Posted by: codcheeky, July 26, 2021, 2:14pm; Reply: 227

Did you expect the club to open it’s turnstiles for the first time in well over a year and completely ignore the reason there has been no football? It gave guidance, nothing compulsory, I cannot see your argument however many times you try to justify it.
The club would be completely within their rights to say they are not letting anyone in without a mask,( our company does not allow anyone on the premises without a mask ) they are a private company and can refuse entry or eject anyone at any time they like. The club has asked people to make their own judgement and has recommended caution, it was never going to do anything different and nearly everyone who will wear a mask or not can see that. Your childish petulance over a statement not forcing you to do anything smacks of snowflakery  of the highest order
Posted by: aldi_01, July 26, 2021, 2:17pm; Reply: 228
Quoted from codcheeky

Did you expect the club to open it’s turnstiles for the first time in well over a year and completely ignore the reason there has been no football? It gave guidance, nothing compulsory, I cannot see your argument however many times you try to justify it.
The club would be completely within their rights to say they are not letting anyone in without a mask,( our company does not allow anyone on the premises without a mask ) they are a private company and can refuse entry or eject anyone at any time they like. The club has asked people to make there own judgement and has recommended caution, it was never going to do anything different and nearly everyone who will wear a mask or not can see that. Your childish petulance over a statement not forcing you to do anything smacks of snowflakery  of the highest order

There is an irony in that most who claim ‘snowflake’ are indeed snowflakes them very selves…
Posted by: StaffsMariner, July 26, 2021, 2:32pm; Reply: 229
The irony will be if the season doesn't start in NL because all the fans get pinged by the NHS app having attended the friendlys and not wearing a mask. The clubs asking nicely assumes people can be treat as adults when this thread shows otherwise.
Posted by: pen penfras, July 26, 2021, 4:02pm; Reply: 230
Quoted from StaffsMariner
The irony will be if the season doesn't start in NL because all the fans get pinged by the NHS app having attended the friendlys and not wearing a mask. The clubs asking nicely assumes people can be treat as adults when this thread shows otherwise.

People will uninstall the app if it stops them doing things they want to do, or just ignore the advice. It's already farcical that some people can not isolate and do daily tests but others can't. When you make decisions like that, people stop listening.

The vast majority of issues with people being pinged are coming from low paid jobs where people are more than happy to get extra time off. Almost everybody in lowish paid jobs that I know thought furlough was brilliant.
Posted by: aldi_01, July 26, 2021, 5:20pm; Reply: 231
Quoted from pen penfras

People will uninstall the app if it stops them doing things they want to do, or just ignore the advice. It's already farcical that some people can not isolate and do daily tests but others can't. When you make decisions like that, people stop listening.

The vast majority of issues with people being pinged are coming from low paid jobs where people are more than happy to get extra time off. Almost everybody in lowish paid jobs that I know thought furlough was brilliant.

I’ve known very much the opposite and the reasons for people deleting are for those who simply don’t get paid if they don’t attend work or those on zero hours/a bench jobs.

However, you’re right, people will and are deleting the app. After the third different bit of support and advice from PHE literally all but three of my staff team just deleted it. Most aren’t bothering with LFT now either…if people have things booked and deposits are unlikely to be refunded etc then people will continue to ignore or delete it and understandably so.

Much like plenty of folk at festivals/gigs/sports events have not exactly done their LFTs right, the same will continue…I think the fact the mask wearers were the minority, plenty of folk just going about their business like normal now you’ll see less and less…add in to that mix the once again varied advice; isolation for some, testing (for what use that’s worth) for others…
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 26, 2021, 5:35pm; Reply: 232
Quoted from aldi_01

I’ve known very much the opposite and the reasons for people deleting are for those who simply don’t get paid if they don’t attend work or those on zero hours/a bench jobs.

However, you’re right, people will and are deleting the app. After the third different bit of support and advice from PHE literally all but three of my staff team just deleted it. Most aren’t bothering with LFT now either…if people have things booked and deposits are unlikely to be refunded etc then people will continue to ignore or delete it and understandably so.

Much like plenty of folk at festivals/gigs/sports events have not exactly done their LFTs right, the same will continue…I think the fact the mask wearers were the minority, plenty of folk just going about their business like normal now you’ll see less and less…add in to that mix the once again varied advice; isolation for some, testing (for what use that’s worth) for others…

I don't understand critical workers being exempt because at some point between testing negative and the next test, they could develop it and spread it around. Plus, it doesn't give confidence to those that are vulnerable that the hospital is a safe place for them.

I still have the app but I've never had the Bluetooth turned on as it travels through walls and I take reasonable steps to distance everywhere I go anyway.

I am sure there countless numbers of people that attended Wembley a few weeks ago that should have been isolating and I have heard of someone watching the game on Saturday despite knowingly having Covid. Government have flouted the rules throughout and people have had enough now.
Posted by: aldi_01, July 26, 2021, 5:54pm; Reply: 233
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I don't understand critical workers being exempt because at some point between testing negative and the next test, they could develop it and spread it around. Plus, it doesn't give confidence to those that are vulnerable that the hospital is a safe place for them.

I still have the app but I've never had the Bluetooth turned on as it travels through walls and I take reasonable steps to distance everywhere I go anyway.

I am sure there countless numbers of people that attended Wembley a few weeks ago that should have been isolating and I have heard of someone watching the game on Saturday despite knowingly having Covid. Government have flouted the rules throughout and people have had enough now.

Surely though, at some point anyone could test postive but not acruslly have Covid, just enough to register a positive. Colleague had a genuine chest infection, antibiotics and the like; thankfully her doctor didn’t want her to test, prescribed her meds and off she went.

There’s also the fact that some people have never done a test of any kind…incompetent government and frustration and annoyance at it will mean people will stop bothering. If didn’t take such a prominent place in the news I reckon it’d slowly just slip to the back of our minds and everyone would go back to normal…

Surely this thread has runs its course now? Someone was embarrassed and called out; others have presented stats which can be interpreted whichever way you want and others just acknowledged the club put out a predictable statement and a handful wore a mask…
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 26, 2021, 9:08pm; Reply: 234
Quoted from StaffsMariner

Here we go!

The tiny minority of fans wearing a mask criticising the vast majority who did not wish to wear a mask who are simply there to enjoy the football.

What did I tell you? The 3000 give or take were not breaking any rules, ALL restrictions have been lifted. How many times do I have to say it?

YOU are in the minority if you want to wear a mask at the game. It doesn't matter if it is watching the match, going to the toilet or getting a drink. ALL restrictions have been lifted.

The club can ask all they want, but very few people are taking notice because they are following the current guidelines. If things change and the government say we have to wear a mask to outdoor events, or any events come to that, then the 3000 or thereabouts will comply.

I cannot get my head around why so many posters are fighting the obvious truth - fans will only wear masks if the rules change.
Posted by: Grantley, July 26, 2021, 9:17pm; Reply: 235

Here we go!

The tiny minority of fans wearing a mask criticising the vast majority who did not wish to wear a mask who are simply there to enjoy the football.

What did I tell you? The 3000 give or take were not breaking any rules, ALL restrictions have been lifted. How many times do I have to say it?

YOU are in the minority if you want to wear a mask at the game. It doesn't matter if it is watching the match, going to the toilet or getting a drink. ALL restrictions have been lifted.

The club can ask all they want, but very few people are taking notice because they are following the current guidelines. If things change and the government say we have to wear a mask to outdoor events, or any events come to that, then the 3000 or thereabouts will comply.

I cannot get my head around why so many posters are fighting the obvious truth - fans will only wear masks if the rules change.

Ok. And what’s your point? You haven’t made it clear.
Posted by: mariner91, July 26, 2021, 9:21pm; Reply: 236
Nobody is fighting that you absolute weapon. Most people have said they will wear them in the indoor areas and probably won’t in their seat. Nobody has claimed that the majority of fans will follow the ‘encouragement’ from the club either.

People’s arguments, the actual arguments and not the stuff you concocted in your head, is that it’s not a big deal for the club to say that they encourage it. It’s not enforced so you can ignore it if you want and it may make some of the more cautious and anxious amongst the fans feel a bit safer and like the club has their best interests at heart. If snowflakes like yourself get upset about it then that’s a shame but you could just not wear a mask as is your right and stop making yourself look a prize plum on this forum.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 26, 2021, 9:28pm; Reply: 237
Quoted from mariner91
Nobody is fighting that you absolute weapon. Most people have said they will wear them in the indoor areas and probably won’t in their seat. Nobody has claimed that the majority of fans will follow the ‘encouragement’ from the club either.

People’s arguments, the actual arguments and not the stuff you concocted in your head, is that it’s not a big deal for the club to say that they encourage it. It’s not enforced so you can ignore it if you want and it may make some of the more cautious and anxious amongst the fans feel a bit safer and like the club has their best interests at heart. If snowflakes like yourself get upset about it then that’s a shame but you could just not wear a mask as is your right and stop making yourself look a prize plum on this forum.

That is not the point. I was replying to a poster who certainly was fighting it and saying derogatory things about the majority of our fans. It's wrong. The fans are doing nothing wrong. Nothing wrong whatsoever.

It's not about being a plum or any other fruit you care to mention, it is about sticking up for the vast majority of our fans who have followed all the rules up to this point, and are still following them. It is the poster I replied to that is out of step - he is acting if mask-wearing was still one of the rules.
Posted by: mariner91, July 26, 2021, 9:57pm; Reply: 238
I think you genuinely believe you’re some sort of champion of free speech and defender of the voiceless. Get over yourself. You started this thread because you were upset that the club ‘encouraged’ people to wear masks and was claiming how awful it was that they had done this. When the vast majority disagreed with you, you’ve dug yourself in to ever deeper holes and convinced yourself that you’re fighting for the little man or something absurd.

A couple of posters from what I have seen have said they think fans should wear masks the whole game, quite a lot have said they themselves will wear one indoors at BP but not in their seat. The vast majority have said that people are free to do as they like although whilst in indoor areas it would be kind and helpful to wear one as others may be more concerned than they are and it’s an incredibly small sacrifice to make in reality. You’ve attempted to twist the original gripe you had because it was so pathetic and you looked like a big baby. The club has done nothing wrong and very few posters on here have said anything about those who choose not to wear a mask at all.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, July 26, 2021, 9:58pm; Reply: 239

That is not the point. I was replying to a poster who certainly was fighting it and saying derogatory things about the majority of our fans. It's wrong. The fans are doing nothing wrong. Nothing wrong whatsoever.

It's not about being a plum or any other fruit you care to mention, it is about sticking up for the vast majority of our fans who have followed all the rules up to this point, and are still following them. It is the poster I replied to that is out of step - he is acting if mask-wearing was still one of the rules.

It reminds me a little of when people used to smoke in restaurants. It wasn’t illegal in the UK until 2007 but, as an asthmatic child of the late 90s, it was pretty poor form when adults would light up right next to a family at the adjacent table.

As I said 20 pages ago, the risk outside is low, but out of respect for others you should be ‘encouraged’ to wear a mask in unventilated areas
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 26, 2021, 10:29pm; Reply: 240
Quoted from mariner91
I think you genuinely believe you’re some sort of champion of free speech and defender of the voiceless. Get over yourself. You started this thread because you were upset that the club ‘encouraged’ people to wear masks and was claiming how awful it was that they had done this. When the vast majority disagreed with you, you’ve dug yourself in to ever deeper holes and convinced yourself that you’re fighting for the little man or something absurd.

A couple of posters from what I have seen have said they think fans should wear masks the whole game, quite a lot have said they themselves will wear one indoors at BP but not in their seat. The vast majority have said that people are free to do as they like although whilst in indoor areas it would be kind and helpful to wear one as others may be more concerned than they are and it’s an incredibly small sacrifice to make in reality. You’ve attempted to twist the original gripe you had because it was so pathetic and you looked like a big baby. The club has done nothing wrong and very few posters on here have said anything about those who choose not to wear a mask at all.

That is just a diatribe against me so we can discount your contribution.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 26, 2021, 10:35pm; Reply: 241

It reminds me a little of when people used to smoke in restaurants. It wasn’t illegal in the UK until 2007 but, as an asthmatic child of the late 90s, it was pretty poor form when adults would light up right next to a family at the adjacent table.

As I said 20 pages ago, the risk outside is low, but out of respect for others you should be ‘encouraged’ to wear a mask in unventilated areas

That is fair enough, but next to nobody is complying. I guess they have just had enough and want to live normally.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 27, 2021, 11:49pm; Reply: 242
At my local swimming pool they encourage people to have a shower before going in the pool. That’s an outrage and an infringement of my freedom of choice. It’s not obligatory and I don’t want to. But what if people look at me and think ‘you dirty get’ if I don’t have a shower. Boo hoo! 😢😢
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 28, 2021, 10:54am; Reply: 243
At my local swimming pool they encourage people to have a shower before going in the pool. That’s an outrage and an infringement of my freedom of choice. It’s not obligatory and I don’t want to. But what if people look at me and think ‘you dirty get’ if I don’t have a shower. Boo hoo! 😢😢

You can boo hoo all you like but the facts speak for themselves.

All the moral high ground preached on here was not replicated at the game, was it? Just as predicted.  Hardly a mask in sight.

Taking your virtuosity to its logical conclusion, if it is desperately important to wear a mask at the game, or in the walk to the toilet(!) (beware of those bottlenecks!!) then presumably you more or less wear a mask all the time in nearly every situation? When someone knocks at the door perhaps? When you are walking down the street passing someone, at work all day long if you work with other people, when you drop the kids off, when you pick them up. It goes on forever.

Luckily the vast , vast majority of our fans have more sense; they joyously took the opportunity to enjoy the game in the outdoors in line with current rules, and gave masks the cold shoulder.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 28, 2021, 11:28am; Reply: 244

I haven’t been public swimming for a long time now. Not since Scaffa Baffs closed. Before that I do remember when footbaths were brought in when I was a kid, that was because verrucas became popular wasn’t it? I know they used to pong of disinfectant and I can remember old Dr Pawson yanking one out of my foot with what looked like a pair of pliers. When we were taking kids to Scaffa in the 70s the instructors would often hold a foot inspection and send kids out if they suspected an infection. I just wonder how such things would be dealt with today if we still had school swimming.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 28, 2021, 12:55pm; Reply: 245

All the moral high ground preached on here was not replicated at the game, was it? Just as predicted.  Hardly a mask in sight.

Taking your virtuosity to its logical conclusion, if it is desperately important to wear a mask at the game, or in the walk to the toilet(!) (beware of those bottlenecks!!) then presumably you more or less wear a mask all the time in nearly every situation? When someone knocks at the door perhaps? When you are walking down the street passing someone, at work all day long if you work with other people, when you drop the kids off, when you pick them up. It goes on forever.

Luckily the vast , vast majority of our fans have more sense; they joyously took the opportunity to enjoy the game in the outdoors in line with current rules, and gave masks the cold shoulder.

Of the c.3000 people at the match I’m only aware of one whinging on a message board about being encouraged to west one. The rest seem to have got on with it without being a moaning little snowflake.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 28, 2021, 12:58pm; Reply: 246

I haven’t been public swimming for a long time now. Not since Scaffa Baffs closed. Before that I do remember when footbaths were brought in when I was a kid, that was because verrucas became popular wasn’t it? I know they used to pong of disinfectant and I can remember old Dr Pawson yanking one out of my foot with what looked like a pair of pliers. When we were taking kids to Scaffa in the 70s the instructors would often hold a foot inspection and send kids out if they suspected an infection. I just wonder how such things would be dealt with today if we still had school swimming.

Does make you wonder what happened to verrucas. How come they were a thing in the 60s and 70s and not now? Was it an infection wiped out by people following the rules so now there’s no need for the rules any more?
Posted by: Stadium, July 28, 2021, 3:22pm; Reply: 247

How did you find the match day experience?
You seem to be confused by the whole issue tbh.
Posted by: aldi_01, July 28, 2021, 4:34pm; Reply: 248
Quoted from Stadium

How did you find the match day experience?
You seem to be confused by the whole issue tbh.

Weird isn’t it. My match day experience was exactly the same as normal, I didn’t wear a mask (haven’t really bothered throughout) and it seemed to mirror the bloke next to me with one. He was about the only person I saw with one but at the end of the day, I think masks are a pointless waste of time but each to their own.

Lew, you know pornhubs free? Rub one out, eat a pot noodle and just go to the match…there’s more things to worry about than whether or not people do or don’t wanna wear a mask…
Posted by: Hagrid, July 28, 2021, 4:40pm; Reply: 249
I cant believe this is still going

What the intercourse is the problem if some folk want to wear a mask
Posted by: pen penfras, July 28, 2021, 4:56pm; Reply: 250
Quoted from Hagrid
I cant believe this is still going

What the intercourse is the problem if some folk want to wear a mask

I don't think that's really the argument anymore. If people want to wear a mask let them, and as long as the club are only issuing a statement about wearing masks and not trying to pressurise people into it, then it's really not a big deal. The argument became more about the self righteous in here claiming how selfish people are for not wearing a mask, yet the vast majority of people aren't wearing them. Depending on where you go there seems to be different ratios, but I doubt it's more than 10% of people in total if you exclude workers who have to follow company policy.
Posted by: barralad, July 28, 2021, 9:14pm; Reply: 251
Quoted from pen penfras

I don't think that's really the argument anymore. If people want to wear a mask let them, and as long as the club are only issuing a statement about wearing masks and not trying to pressurise people into it, then it's really not a big deal. The argument became more about the self righteous in here claiming how selfish people are for not wearing a mask, yet the vast majority of people aren't wearing them. Depending on where you go there seems to be different ratios, but I doubt it's more than 10% of people in total if you exclude workers who have to follow company policy.

I dont know where you are looking but "the vast majority" using shops and public transport are wearing masks...certainly in NEL.
Posted by: aldi_01, July 28, 2021, 9:40pm; Reply: 252
Quoted from barralad

I dont know where you are looking but "the vast majority" using shops and public transport are wearing masks...certainly in NEL.

Initially I thought PP was referring to the match.

I’ve seen a split but just admit, the numbers of those wearing masks seems to be dropping slowly. I couldn’t care less, I’ve barely worn one anyway and we made a conscious decisions from the get go that we wouldn’t be using them at school.

It’s personal choice now so everyone can just crack on….
Posted by: pen penfras, July 29, 2021, 6:32pm; Reply: 253
Quoted from barralad

I don't do the shopping or use public transport. But in pubs, restaurants and places for kids, I've hardly seen anybody wear masks
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 29, 2021, 7:32pm; Reply: 254
Quoted from pen penfras

I don't do the shopping or use public transport. But in pubs, restaurants and places for kids, I've hardly seen anybody wear masks

... or at the football.
Posted by: Stadium, July 29, 2021, 8:15pm; Reply: 255

... or at the football.

But don't forget,your encouraged to wear one.
Take note.

Posted by: Caveman, July 29, 2021, 8:52pm; Reply: 256
All I will say on this subject I can testify that wearing a mask
in the gents on Saturday made it a far better experience than
at any time in the past.
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, July 29, 2021, 9:06pm; Reply: 257
Jeez I give up with you lot - your choice - wear a mask if you wish or not - simples.
Now let us return to footie stuff please.
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 4:20pm