Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Non Football  /  
Posted by: cmackenzie4, July 6, 2021, 2:43pm
I have just purchased a pair of expensive Binoculars from Germany and I believe I will have to pay a customs charge but on checking the tracking details via UPS it doesn’t show that I will pay this charge, it’s showing the parcel is on the way, does anyone have any idea on how the customs charge is paid via UPS ?  reading the internet it states that some drivers require the payment at the door (upon delivery) which doesn’t sound right, any advice would be appreciated.

Chris
Posted by: Maringer, July 6, 2021, 3:28pm; Reply: 1
You'll ought to be contacted when it reaches customs - probably directly via UPS. Delivery isn't likely to be attempted until you've paid for the VAT, duty and customs clearance charge. Extremely unlikely that you would have to pay a driver for one of the big courier services (sounds like a scam). Online payment ought to be easiest, I'd have thought. Check any links come to you from a valid UPS web site, don't trust links on text messages which can point anywhere.

I should mention that I haven't got any experience of receiving EU packages from UPS, just a lot of experience trying to work out what the hell we needed to do with our deliveries to EU customers since the start of the year!
Posted by: cmackenzie4, July 6, 2021, 3:54pm; Reply: 2
Funnily enough I’ve just received a message to pay the fees via UPS, it was a pretty straight forward process to follow Maringer , it’s still worked out cheaper than having to buy directly from the UK. Thanks for your advice.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, July 16, 2021, 6:44am; Reply: 3
I get lots of deliveries from Hamburg and never paid a separate fee.
Only last week I purchased a shed load of stuff fom the 1887 Streetwear shop, and on the Deutsche Post customs declaration (form CN23) it simply gives a list of the items and value then the postal charges / fees in another column which on this order came to 16.90 EUR.
It was a fair size box too, weight 1.600 kg.
Posted by: DB, July 16, 2021, 12:27pm; Reply: 4
I'm not too sure how the system works. I order stuff from the states and never had to pay extra charges until I doubled the order to save on carriage?. I was then charged customs duty so I think the amount you spend has something to do with the customs fees.

Even though I paid customs the items were still far cheaper than the UK shops, and I mean £'s. Every business has to make a profit, but there is a big difference between profit and greed.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, July 16, 2021, 2:37pm; Reply: 5
I fully understand what you mean Dave, I had to pay £140.00 custom fees on top of the price I paid for the Leica Binoculars but they still ended up £190.00 cheaper than buying from the UK, we do get ripped off in this country mate.
Posted by: ginnywings, July 17, 2021, 9:51am; Reply: 6
Leica binoculars?

You must have money to burn.  ;)
Posted by: cmackenzie4, July 17, 2021, 11:12am; Reply: 7
Yes they are expensive Ginny, the thing is the outdoors is my hobby, I very rarely drink, I don’t smoke so I’ll spend that bit extra (well quite a lot actually  ;D) on things I enjoy doing, the quality of them is superb mate. I get a great view of the peregrine’s here in Louth. I also have a Leica camera which is the best camera I’ve ever owned, it takes a bit of getting used too though. The binoculars would be great for Scotland mate 😉
Posted by: ginnywings, July 17, 2021, 7:23pm; Reply: 8
Yeah, I agree, they are superb binoculars and would indeed be great for Scotland ( which I'm heading for on Tuesday) and I am currently in the market for some new ones myself, but I don't think I will be getting Leica ones.

Some Avalons for about £200 is where I'm looking.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, July 17, 2021, 8:19pm; Reply: 9
Enjoy your trip Ginny.
Print page generated: May 5, 2024, 1:16pm