Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, June 22, 2021, 7:06pm
https://twitter.com/officialgtfc/status/1407397967120773120
Posted by: headingly_mariner, June 22, 2021, 7:11pm; Reply: 1
In the twilight of his career but has always been a very intelligent player and a danger when I’ve seen him.
Posted by: pontoonlew, June 22, 2021, 7:34pm; Reply: 2
Fantastic pedigree and precisely the type of player who tend to do well in this league
Posted by: Meza, June 22, 2021, 7:36pm; Reply: 3
looks more of a target man type and has never scored 20 gls only 12 hes managed the most in a season but has other qualities.
Posted by: davmariner, June 22, 2021, 7:37pm; Reply: 4
Yep he’s a target man.
Posted by: carrot top, June 22, 2021, 7:42pm; Reply: 5
I’m struggling to keep. Not used to this;)
Posted by: DB, June 22, 2021, 8:42pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Meza
looks more of a target man type and has never scored 20 gls only 12 hes managed the most in a season but has other qualities.

That would have made him our top scorer last season. ;)

Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, June 22, 2021, 9:32pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from DB

That would have made him our top scorer last season. ;)

Sousa scored more than our top scorer last season too
Posted by: blundellpork, June 22, 2021, 9:50pm; Reply: 8

Sousa scored more than our top scorer last season too

Jordan Henderson’s England record comes close
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, June 22, 2021, 10:26pm; Reply: 9
Article from December 2017 on him here >> https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ryan-taylor-rotherham-man-few-920756

"He joined Plymouth Argyle in January 2017. Taylor was a man whose hard work, ball retention and team play were the perfect ingredients for Pilgrims boss Derek Adams, a manager that loves to play with a lone targetman capable of bringing others into play.Taylor was straight into the first team and played his part in helping Argyle win promotion as runners-up in League Two."
Posted by: Maringer, June 22, 2021, 10:36pm; Reply: 10
Presume this would indicate that LJL isn't a shoo-in to start every game? You'd expect that both wouldn't start together a lot of the time. That said, LJL did bag 20 goals during his last full Conference season...
Posted by: jamesgtfc, June 22, 2021, 10:41pm; Reply: 11
Sounds like a players player but a striker that our fans may not be the most supportive of given the expected lack of goals.

Other than Sousa, all of our signings look like big lads.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, June 22, 2021, 10:44pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Article from December 2017 on him here >> https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ryan-taylor-rotherham-man-few-920756

"He joined Plymouth Argyle in January 2017. Taylor was a man whose hard work, ball retention and team play were the perfect ingredients for Pilgrims boss Derek Adams, a manager that loves to play with a lone targetman capable of bringing others into play.Taylor was straight into the first team and played his part in helping Argyle win promotion as runners-up in League Two."
Quoted from Maringer
Presume this would indicate that LJL isn't a shoo-in to start every game? You'd expect that both wouldn't start together a lot of the time. That said, LJL did bag 20 goals during his last full Conference season...
Good cover if one or the other gets injured at some point.  Hopefully will do well, as he's practically played League football his whole career except for a loan spell with Burton in National League early in his career,
Posted by: mariner91, June 22, 2021, 10:49pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Maringer

If their most recent seasons are any sort of indication they would suggest LJL would be understudy to Taylor?
Posted by: jimgtfc, June 22, 2021, 10:53pm; Reply: 14
Got a feeling this could be a very good signing
Posted by: SheepGTFC, June 23, 2021, 2:26am; Reply: 15
Hurst loves a target man and so do I
Posted by: golfer, June 23, 2021, 7:03am; Reply: 16
Looks like Hurst has been doing his homework on all fronts instead of scraping the barrel after all decent players have been snapped up. Maybe a ban on travel abroad has helped us get earlier signings than of late - or are we being allowed to by owners who are not afraid of spending an extra fortnights wages.
Posted by: GtfcGarner, June 23, 2021, 7:54am; Reply: 17
Probably one of the most intelligent footballers I've seen play. Always been brilliant when I've seen him, good footballer, great link up play brilliant target man and will always run his socks off. Absolutely delighted with this signing.
Posted by: DB, June 23, 2021, 8:14am; Reply: 18
Quoted from golfer
Looks like Hurst has been doing his homework on all fronts instead of scraping the barrel after all decent players have been snapped up. Maybe a ban on travel abroad has helped us get earlier signings than of late - or are we being allowed to by owners who are not afraid of spending an extra fortnights wages.

I agree with you. It's all about team building and not forming a team from the cheap players who are left at the bottom of a barrel. :)

Posted by: tarka, June 23, 2021, 8:18am; Reply: 19
Quoted from golfer

I think it's a combination of being a buyer's market, a manger who has prepared thoroughly ahead of close season and a significantly increased budget. Despite protestations about what a marvellous club we are with fantastic supporters, players wouldn't be signing this early in the summer if the financial deals weren't right for them.

There seems to be a hell of a lot of money going into the club at the moment considering the improvements to Blundell Park, Cheapside and player recruitment - I just hope this all bears fruit come the end of next season. Exciting times.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, June 23, 2021, 8:25am; Reply: 20
Some of your posts are making me more positive about him. I won't pretend that I don't have misgivings about signing a 36 year old from Colne, despite his obvious experience.

That said, I would be the first to point out that Futch was 63 when we plucked him out of Halifax reserves.

I could see him and LJL rotating - one gets a start and 60 mins on the pitch before the other replaces him and in the next match the other starts and gets 60 minutes etc etc
Posted by: golfer, June 23, 2021, 8:43am; Reply: 21
I think one or two are getting mixed up with the 2 Ryan Taylors - ones a striker the other is a defender
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, June 23, 2021, 8:47am; Reply: 22
Yeah its Taylor from Newport not the one who used to play for Newcastle!
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), June 23, 2021, 9:21am; Reply: 23
Some of your posts are making me more positive about him. I won't pretend that I don't have misgivings about signing a 36 year old from Colne, despite his obvious experience.

That said, I would be the first to point out that Futch was 63 when we plucked him out of Halifax reserves.

I could see him and LJL rotating - one gets a start and 60 mins on the pitch before the other replaces him and in the next match the other starts and gets 60 minutes etc etc

I think you will find that he is 32 years old.

Posted by: Poojah, June 23, 2021, 9:32am; Reply: 24

You need to get your facts right, mate.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, June 23, 2021, 10:00am; Reply: 25
Quoted from Poojah

You need to get your facts right, mate.

Many thanks for your passive/aggressive response (mostly lacking passive).

I've obviously got the wrong Ryan Taylor, I can live with that.
Posted by: Poojah, June 23, 2021, 10:34am; Reply: 26

I wasn't being remotely aggressive, friend. Life's too short for that. It was a light hearted reference to John Fenty's former Fishy moniker, since you had indeed got your facts a little bit skew-whiff.

Apologies for any offence caused.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, June 23, 2021, 10:38am; Reply: 27
Christ, we have central defenders who get taller by the hour.   Now we have a player who gets 4 years younger.  😁😁. Only at Grimsby.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, June 23, 2021, 10:45am; Reply: 28
According to wiki he’s 33.
Looks a useful signing. Sort of James Hanson with legs?
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), June 23, 2021, 10:48am; Reply: 29
Yeah, he was 33 in May.
Posted by: golfer, June 23, 2021, 2:33pm; Reply: 30

Never mind Bobby - they were most likely the same as you until i explained that there were 2 Ryan Taylors.They should have gone to Confused.com.
Posted by: RonMariner, June 23, 2021, 3:39pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from golfer

Never mind Bobby - they were most likely the same as you until i explained that there were 2 Ryan Taylors.They should have gone to Confused.com.

We will have to be careful next season not to sing 'There's only one Ryan Taylor!' every time he scores.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, June 23, 2021, 7:39pm; Reply: 32
YouTube interview video off the Grimsby Town channel posted earlier today.

[youtube]E-AvVyfaxPY[/youtube]
Print page generated: May 6, 2024, 5:06pm