Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 17, 2021, 10:03am

"Grimsby Town honours Zane Powles so he can attend every match for free.
The teacher spent his lockdown delivering meals to vulnerable children so they didn't go hungry.

After spotting a tweet that Zane was interested in buying a season ticket for Grimsby Town, Jason Stockwood, one of the club's new owners decided to honour Grimsby's hero so he and a friend can attend every match for free."

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/grimsby-town-honours-zane-powles-5534853

Posted by: Son of Cod, June 17, 2021, 10:18am; Reply: 1
Yeah, I saw that yesterday. Fair play to Zane Powles, he deserves that. Well done to JS for getting on it, heartwarmingly refreshing stuff all round.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, June 17, 2021, 10:45am; Reply: 2
The title heading of this thread is very welcoming and encouraging.   Not something that happened in the previous 18 years here.
Posted by: denni266, June 17, 2021, 10:54am; Reply: 3
Fenty will be shuddering and holding his wallet tight  hearing about this  ;D
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 17, 2021, 11:28am; Reply: 4
Our Jason is a really good guy what a change  8)

Not forgetting. Nathan of course.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 17, 2021, 11:35am; Reply: 5
đź‘Ťđź‘Ťđź‘Ť
Posted by: Heisenberg, June 17, 2021, 11:38am; Reply: 6
I’ve heard that Zane guy ain’t all he’s cracked up to be. I’m not saying another word on the matter.
Posted by: aldi_01, June 17, 2021, 11:38am; Reply: 7
Quoted from Heisenberg
I’ve heard that Zane guy ain’t all he’s cracked up to be. I’m not saying another word on the matter.

You are not the first, nor the last to hear and know this…
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 17, 2021, 11:41am; Reply: 8
Is he delivering pies at half time?
Posted by: Mariner_501, June 17, 2021, 12:10pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Heisenberg

True, but is anyone?
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, June 17, 2021, 12:34pm; Reply: 10
I know Zane personally. Very nice and caring man. Very genuine, but even I laughed when I saw his tweet tagging GTFC. He was clearly hoping for a reaction from the club, which is what he got.

Where do the club stop? Do they offer ST to that father and son who saved a man's life down Freeman Street last week.

They are making a rod for their own back
Posted by: wiggers, June 17, 2021, 12:59pm; Reply: 11
There are plenty of people who do good in their community, not all of them seek the spotlight like this guy…..just saying
Posted by: heppy88, June 17, 2021, 2:49pm; Reply: 12
You’ll always be able to find the negatives in any person, any situation. Nobody’s perfect. I don’t personally know Zane but he no doubt played his part during COVID. His actions naturally garnered attention and I think that’s what bothers a lot of people. It makes me laugh that WBJ veiled dig, comes from somebody who’s anguish of not being recognised, for coming up with the “sponsor a player” idea is sadly clear to see. Why can’t we just celebrate the fact one of our own has been recognised for his work in the community, without the jibes aimed at tarnishing a positive story?
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, June 17, 2021, 3:55pm; Reply: 13
It's a lovely story, people are quick to criticise but not many would jump forward themselves to take on such a mammoth task.

Good on Jason too for recognising such positive community service!
Posted by: Simon, June 17, 2021, 5:04pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from denni266
Fenty will be shuddering and holding his wallet tight  hearing about this  ;D

Who?

Posted by: DB, June 17, 2021, 6:58pm; Reply: 15
When Jason and Andrew took over they talked about a community club. Giving season tickets like this proves that they are doing what they said they would do.

This not about the recipient but the vision Jason and Andrew want us to go with. If there are other worthy people I feel sure that a brief description of their achievements would get a similar result.
Posted by: Davec, June 17, 2021, 8:29pm; Reply: 16
I don't know Zane Powles but does it matter if he isn't the bloke he appears? What's he done wrong anyway ?

But what I do know is he did a hell of a lot to deliver meals to kids during lockdown every single day, making sure the kids never went hungry.

I do think he was probably looking for a reaction by tagging GTFC but he deserves some thanks for what he did.
Posted by: pizzzza, June 17, 2021, 9:01pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from heppy88
It makes me laugh that WBJ veiled dig, comes from somebody who’s anguish of not being recognised, for coming up with the “sponsor a player” idea is sadly clear to see.

That was Les's idea wasn't it?

;)
Posted by: Abdul19, June 17, 2021, 9:01pm; Reply: 18
I've never heard of him and my lawyers have requested that I offer no further comment.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, June 17, 2021, 10:12pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from heppy88
It makes me laugh that WBJ veiled dig, comes from somebody who’s anguish of not being recognised, for coming up with the “sponsor a player” idea is sadly clear to see.

I think there has been a distinct humour bypass.

Those who need to know.......know.

You seem to forget that I was the one who originally suggested and then organised the fundraiser that raised about ÂŁ7k. I did that for everyone. I wanted no thanks. I turned down numerous offers of interviews from various media, including a national newspaper, because it wasn't about me in any way, shape or form.

My few comments to Les were all very much tongue in cheek, and both he, and others are very aware of that.
Posted by: Teesknees, June 17, 2021, 10:18pm; Reply: 20

I think there has been a distinct humour bypass.

Those who need to know.......know.

You seem to forget that I was the one who originally suggested and then organised the fundraiser that raised about ÂŁ7k. I did that for everyone. I wanted no thanks. I turned down numerous offers of interviews from various media, including a national newspaper, because it wasn't about me in any way, shape or form.

My few comments to Les were all very much tongue in cheek, and both he, and others are very aware of that.

What happened to that 7k? I can't remember seeig where it ended up?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, June 17, 2021, 10:37pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Teesknees

It was all above board and made it to 2 charities I believe. This has been asked before and it was definitely all above board.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, June 17, 2021, 10:41pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Teesknees

It was split 50/50 between the Samaritans and CALM (Campaign Against Living Miserably). Ollie asked the family of his friend who they wanted the money to go to.
Posted by: smokey111, June 17, 2021, 10:45pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Davec
I don't know Zane Powles but does it matter if he isn't the bloke he appears? What's he done wrong anyway ?

But what I do know is he did a hell of a lot to deliver meals to kids during lockdown every single day, making sure the kids never went hungry.

I do think he was probably looking for a reaction by tagging GTFC but he deserves some thanks for what he did.

Bloody hell, the bloke almost had a daily column in the GET.

I work in education and there are countless others who went above and beyond, who are earning a third of what he does.
Posted by: Teesknees, June 18, 2021, 4:10pm; Reply: 24

It was split 50/50 between the Samaritans and CALM (Campaign Against Living Miserably). Ollie asked the family of his friend who they wanted the money to go to.

Thank you, I didn't know that,  I must have missed how it was split up. Well done Mr Strap.
Print page generated: April 18, 2024, 1:15pm