Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Non Football  /  
Posted by: codcheeky, June 13, 2021, 11:22am
Excellent article in the Guardian today
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jun/13/end-of-the-line-how-brexit-left-hulls-fishing-industry-facing-extinction
Posted by: ginnywings, June 13, 2021, 11:46am; Reply: 1
Not surprised. Seen most of my family screwed over by government decisions over my lifetime.

The cost of building materials has almost doubled in the last 18 months too, which affects my business.

We have knobs like Tim Martin moaning that there are no people to fill the vacancies in his pubs now that loads have gone back to mainland Europe, despite his insistence that we should leave the EU. W@nker.

Brexit ain't looking that good to me right now but I'm sure the outers will be along soon to tell us all how it will get better in time.

It wasn't broke and didn't need fixing.
Posted by: Humbercod, June 13, 2021, 12:45pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from ginnywings

We have knobs like Tim Martin moaning that there are no people to fill the vacancies in his pubs now that loads have gone back to mainland Europe, despite his insistence that we should leave the EU. W@nker.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.lbc.co.uk/news/wetherspoons-boss-tim-martin-denies-staff-shortages-have-been-caused-by-brexit/
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 13, 2021, 1:19pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from ginnywings
Not surprised. Seen most of my family screwed over by government decisions over my lifetime.

The cost of building materials has almost doubled in the last 18 months too, which affects my business.

Brexit ain't looking that good to me right now but I'm sure the outers will be along soon to tell us all how it will get better in time.

It wasn't broke and didn't need fixing.

It will get better in time Ginny.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 14, 2021, 2:06pm; Reply: 4
Good article.

It will get better eventually. But it’ll be a bloody long time. Just like things got a bit better years after the austerity cuts. How much damage will be done by then, God only knows.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, June 15, 2021, 8:09am; Reply: 5
Quoted from promotion plaice

It's strange they never put "It will be shite, but will get better in time" on the side of that bus.
Posted by: LH, June 16, 2021, 3:24pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from promotion plaice

Yeah ginny, you might die cold, hungry and penniless but think of the future who generations who might be ok.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 18, 2021, 12:46pm; Reply: 7
A few years ago I might have jumped up and down about the way the industry of which so many of my family were a part, was sold down the river, literally, by successive governments and even our great local MP Crosland. This latest is small fry, intended, because there is virtually no industry left to bother about. It was a politicians’ plaything from the start. We were done over by them all from yer darlin’ ‘Arold onwards. Unlike the miners, dockers, power workers. …..we never had any clout, never had any leaders, never even had any redundancy ……
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 21, 2021, 12:45am; Reply: 8
A few years ago I might have jumped up and down about the way the industry of which so many of my family were a part, was sold down the river, literally, by successive governments and even our great local MP Crosland. This latest is small fry, intended, because there is virtually no industry left to bother about. It was a politicians’ plaything from the start. We were done over by them all from yer darlin’ ‘Arold onwards. Unlike the miners, dockers, power workers. …..we never had any clout, never had any leaders, never even had any redundancy ……

That much is true. I bet if the fishermen had actually ever organised and struck like the miners and dockers did in the early years of the 20th century, they’d have had some influence and eventually redundancy pay. It wasn’t a job that employers could have easily employed unskilled scabs in.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 21, 2021, 12:48am; Reply: 9
PS, Crossland as Foreign Secretary had the Cold War to think about. A tap on the shoulder from Uncle Sam (Kissinger?) to let the Icelanders have their way so NATO wasn’t seen as foisting its airbases on them against their will. The same would have happened with the Tories. Only quicker and without any of the angst that Crossland’s wife mentioned.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 21, 2021, 12:51am; Reply: 10
PS until my dad, every generation of my family going back at least 400 years was directly engaged in fishing. My dad worked for a fish merchant and processor and my brother’s apprenticeship was spent mostly servicing trawlers until the firm had to lay people off.
Posted by: ginnywings, June 21, 2021, 6:50pm; Reply: 11
Fishermen did actually receive redundancy money after much wrangling and many many years waiting. My parents were both dead when it finally materialised in the 90's.

Our family received £20,000, which would have been a fortune to my Dad and very welcome when the fishing industry collapsed.

As it happened, the money was shared among myself and my siblings, which none of us needed and we all said how the cash would have been a real boon to my parents.

Such a pity.

There was also a pot of money which was made up of small contributions made by fishermen and collected from their settlings after every trip. When the industry collapsed, the money in the pot mysteriously disappeared, never to be seen again.

It was estimated that it contained in the millions. Robbing illegitimate$.
Print page generated: May 8, 2024, 5:52am