Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Non Football  /  
Posted by: cmackenzie4, June 11, 2021, 6:49pm
What is your favourite food ?

I think mine is Indian food, it’s a close one between Indian food or Beef steak but Indian food just edges it for me.

I don’t like overly hot Indian food I’m happy with Chilli garlic chicken or a Madras, I’ve had much spicier but it takes the flavour away the spicier it is.
Posted by: smokey111, June 11, 2021, 8:51pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from cmackenzie4
What is your favourite food ?

I think mine is Indian food, it’s a close one between Indian food or Beef steak but Indian food just edges it for me.

I don’t like overly hot Indian food I’m happy with Chilli garlic chicken or a Madras, I’ve had much spicier but it takes the flavour away the spicier it is.

Thought this might have been a Talksport phone in.
Posted by: DB, June 12, 2021, 2:24pm; Reply: 2
I've been thinking and come to the conclusion all food, as long as it's cooked right. I include that fine Yorkshire dish as served up to me, when I was about 4yrs., by my nan who came from Sheffield. What else but tripe!

For those who wish to try it Morissons stock it. Wash, salt it yum, yum. ;) ;)
Posted by: Sandford1981, June 12, 2021, 5:25pm; Reply: 3
Roast dinner on a Sunday with lashings of gravy! Job done.
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 12, 2021, 5:37pm; Reply: 4
Haddock and chips  :)

Chinese

Apple crumble.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 12, 2021, 5:44pm; Reply: 5
Fish & chips ( haddock/skate/plaice)

Christmas dinner - turkey and all the trimmings

Home made rice pudding

Rhubarb & custard (pie or crumble or nude!)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 13, 2021, 1:07am; Reply: 6
Favourite food: as long as there’s lots I don’t mind.

Stuff I won’t eat again: pie n mash. I’d rather have the warm lamb’s brain salad I ordered by mistake in France once.

(Knew it was lamb’s something but couldn’t remember what ‘cerveau’ was.)
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, June 13, 2021, 8:33am; Reply: 7
Favourite food:

SE Asian food - the spicier the better. Mutton biryani

Raw oysters

Trippa alla romana - tripe, with mint

Rigatoni con la pajata - unweaned calf intestine, where the milk in the intestine curdles into cheese during cooking

Pho
Japanese curry
Lemon tart
Sticky toffee pudding

Worst food:
Trifle
Eton Mess
Posted by: DB, June 13, 2021, 10:52am; Reply: 8
Favourite food:

SE Asian food - the spicier the better. Mutton biryani

Raw oysters

Trippa alla romana - tripe, with mint

Rigatoni con la pajata - unweaned calf intestine, where the milk in the intestine curdles into cheese during cooking

Pho
Japanese curry
Lemon tart
Sticky toffee pudding

Worst food:
Trifle
Eton Mess

I've had tripe with onions but never mint. I'll give that a go next time I buy some.

Posted by: Chrisblor, June 13, 2021, 11:14am; Reply: 9
I'd probably say Haddock and Chips in general, but the most religious food experience I've had took place while eating a 'super burrito' from El Farolito in the Mission District in San Francisco. flipping HELL it transcended everything else I've ever eaten in my life it was so good, and it wasn't even close. Just a superlative eating experience which I hope I can go back and relive one day.
Posted by: ginnywings, June 13, 2021, 11:32am; Reply: 10
I also had a superb meal in San Fransisco. It was a Chinese with endless courses and I almost had to be carried from the table.

I would say that if I had to pick just one dish, it would be an Indian, probably a biryani, or maybe a dopiaza.

Love spicy food. Aromatic, rather than hot.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, June 13, 2021, 1:33pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from DB

I've had tripe with onions but never mint. I'll give that a go next time I buy some.

It’s mainly with tomatoes but the mint cuts through the tripe like a Wayne Burnett through ball.

https://memoriediangelina.com/2014/10/31/trippa-alla-romana/
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, June 13, 2021, 1:37pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Chrisblor
I'd probably say Haddock and Chips in general, but the most religious food experience I've had took place while eating a 'super burrito' from El Farolito in the Mission District in San Francisco. flipping HELL it transcended everything else I've ever eaten in my life it was so good, and it wasn't even close. Just a superlative eating experience which I hope I can go back and relive one day.

I’ve just looked up El Farolito. It looks fantastic. Authentic Mexican food in the US is incredible.
Posted by: Ipswin, June 13, 2021, 5:30pm; Reply: 13
Indonesian Rijsttafel
Posted by: BlackandWhiteBarmy2, June 14, 2021, 1:46am; Reply: 14
Bangers (Lincolnshire obviously) and Mash with Mushy Peas and gravy.

Home made Chilli con Carne

Fishcake, chips and Mushy Peas

Steak and Kidney Pudding

Steamed Suet Jam Roly Poly and custard

The now sadly defunct Diamond Burger from Nene Park

Most disappointing probably because I'd got myself really keyed up for it. Chilli Dog from a New York street vendor (Sabretts). The sausage was horrible and different to our hot dog sausages and the Chilli was disgusting.

Special mention in the disgusting stakes goes to the Balti Pukka Pie that Kings Lynn Mariner got at London Road fortunately he beat me to the last one. I say fortunately because he had to stop 3 times on his way back to Kings Lynn.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 14, 2021, 1:46pm; Reply: 15

It’s mainly with tomatoes but the mint cuts through the tripe like a Wayne Burnett through ball.

https://memoriediangelina.com/2014/10/31/trippa-alla-romana/

Poetry 😂
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 14, 2021, 1:49pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from ginnywings
I also had a superb meal in San Fransisco. It was a Chinese with endless courses and I almost had to be carried from the table.

I would say that if I had to pick just one dish, it would be an Indian, probably a biryani, or maybe a dopiaza.

Love spicy food. Aromatic, rather than hot.

Had a Chinese in SF once. Was all geared up to expect a great meal and the most charitable thing I can say is I chose the wrong thing.
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 14, 2021, 5:58pm; Reply: 17
A smoked fish platter from The Plockton Inn in The Scottish Highlands. Followed by cheese and biscuits/oatcakes. Fanbloodytastic.
Posted by: Hants.Mariner, June 14, 2021, 9:34pm; Reply: 18
Fish chips and mushy peas from Steels.

Alas that’s all too rare these days and cod and chips from the local Chippie just isn’t the same. So the favourite nowadays is probably Indian food. Odd to think that before I left Grimsby I had never eaten a curry.
Posted by: aldi_01, June 15, 2021, 6:55am; Reply: 19
Had a cracking meal in an American/Italian…we all know the sort, the owners  great auntie fled Italy many moons ago so now he’s serving traditional Italian dishes…that have never been eaten in Italy. Nevertheless, it was excellent and service was great…decent spot in San Francisco…excellent.

Giovanni’s shrimp shack on the North Shore in Oahu, Hawaii is amazing as street food goes. Fresh beyond belief and simple.

I love bangers and mash but controversially I’m not arsed about a Lincolnshire sausage. They all vary so much it’s impossible to call them that.

I absolutely love Thai food…so fragrant and fresh and the flavours are mega.

Having spent many a time in Italy, Italian food is high on the list and I love the fact it varies from region to region.
Posted by: mariner91, June 15, 2021, 9:23am; Reply: 20
I had Cullen skink in Plockton a couple of years ago and spent the rest of the week wanting more of it. I think it was the first time food was so tasty I was lost for words.
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 15, 2021, 8:07pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from mariner91
I had Cullen skink in Plockton a couple of years ago and spent the rest of the week wanting more of it. I think it was the first time food was so tasty I was lost for words.

Yeah, Cullen Skink is superb. Not really a fan of soup myself but I definitely make an exception for a nice bowl of Cullen Skink.
Posted by: ginnywings, June 15, 2021, 9:35pm; Reply: 22
Just remembered Sam's seafood shack in Rodel on the Isle of Harris.

Literally in the middle of nowhere, flexible opening hours, flexible menu, depending on what he's caught or could get his hands on. Just a battered old caravan, but the food is wonderful.

Seaweed potatoes anyone?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 15, 2021, 10:37pm; Reply: 23
Talking of food on Scottish isles, back in 97 I went to Skye with the ex. (She wasn’t the ex then). Went to a seafood restaurant and had superb lobster for a really good price. Got chatting to the proprietor who also fished for the lobster himself. Thought his accent was familiar. He was from Caistor. Self-taught fisherman, and much to the locals dismay he said he was good at it!
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 16, 2021, 8:49pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Talking of food on Scottish isles, back in 97 I went to Skye with the ex. (She wasn’t the ex then). Went to a seafood restaurant and had superb lobster for a really good price. Got chatting to the proprietor who also fished for the lobster himself. Thought his accent was familiar. He was from Caistor. Self-taught fisherman, and much to the locals dismay he said he was hood at it!

Been to a few restaurants on Skye and never had a bad meal yet.

Would love to go here but would need to save up with it costing £110 per person. It's certainly popular though with the first date available for booking being the 24th of August!

https://www.threechimneys.co.uk/restaurant/kitchen-table
Posted by: DB, June 16, 2021, 8:56pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Les Brechin

Would love to go here but would need to save up with it costing £110 per person!

Bloody Hell Les I could feed me and the wife for a year and still have change for my red wine!

Capstick song comes to mind, I'm sure you remember it. :) :) :) :) :)

Posted by: Les Brechin, June 16, 2021, 9:00pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from DB

Bloody Hell Les I could feed me and the wife for a year and still have change for my red wine!

Capstick song comes to mind, I'm sure you remember it. :) :) :) :) :)

That doesn't include your drinks either, and if you fancied staying over rooms are only £365 per night! (That does include breakfast though)
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, June 17, 2021, 11:27am; Reply: 27
Quoted from Les Brechin

Would love to go here but would need to save up with it costing £110 per person. It's certainly popular though with the first date available for booking being the 24th of August!

This is my problem with high end UK restaurants.

I know the hospitality sector is in a desperate situation and payroll costs and taxes are high. Good quality, fresh fish and seafood is expensive but that wine list takes the pîss a bit.

When you’re paying £50 for a simple, and fairly nondescript, bottle of Gavi or Grillo, something’s gone wrong somewhere. I realise overheads will be high and they make their margin on the wet sales (and the accommodation!) but a wine list like that just puts me off.

I could have a 3* meal in parts of France and Germany for less (in normal times).
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 2:03pm