Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: acko338, June 11, 2021, 10:59am
Common currently among newcomers interviews is the theme that players have been grateful for the professional way that both manager and deputy have gone about business in the other clubs where they have managed.

This seems to be making signings... and re-signing in Coke's case... a much easier process, even with the relegation to take into consideration.

With the background of new owners and upgrading of facilities as extra things to take into account, there must be a wave of good factors swathing over potential new players.

Sometimes, it takes a complete clear out and starting at the bottom with better systems in place again to breed success.

Any new version of the team still have to produce the goods on the playing field, but there is now a solid infrastructure for Hurst and Doig to promote.

Never seen Hurst smile so much recently !! Can the two of them also bring in decent loanees to the standard of Matete again this season?

Positivity - seems to be the new season buzzword !!
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, June 11, 2021, 11:28am; Reply: 1
Those ripples of enthusiasm will extend far and wide too and that can only be good for all involved

Whereas once upon a time the way Town's board had a stranglehold on events stifled progress, the way things are currently going so swimmingly is bound to eventually reach a much wider population of players who might think we are worth considering

Positivity breeds positivity

UTM
Posted by: lukeo, June 11, 2021, 12:17pm; Reply: 2
To be fair it's not often you get players 'follow' a certain manager around in their career. So fair play to PH and I hope it pulls off for us. UTM
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 11, 2021, 12:58pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from lukeo
To be fair it's not often you get players 'follow' a certain manager around in their career. So fair play to PH and I hope it pulls off for us. UTM

Tbh, I think you do. I think if a player fits into a managers system, then the trust/relationship develops. I remember Buckley always trusting Paul groves, runaway was the same when he signed Kevin Phillips for Crystal Palace and there was someone (can’t remember who) that Harry redknap always used to sign.

But I agree, it’s good that we have someone like PH who can build that kind of rapport with players
Posted by: DB, June 11, 2021, 1:15pm; Reply: 4
I bet Hursty feels good about doing deals with new players and not having someone behind his back saying 'Can't you get any cheaper'.  ;)
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, June 11, 2021, 2:52pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Tbh, I think you do. I think if a player fits into a managers system, then the trust/relationship develops. I remember Buckley always trusting Paul groves, runaway was the same when he signed Kevin Phillips for Crystal Palace and there was someone (can’t remember who) that Harry redknap always used to sign.

But I agree, it’s good that we have someone like PH who can build that kind of rapport with players

Didn't redknepp take krancjar everywhere with him??
Posted by: RichMariner, June 11, 2021, 4:43pm; Reply: 6
I think we're seeing what can be achieved when responsible people are trusted to do their job.

I'm not saying Paul Hurst is the best manager in the world, but he's capable, he's hard working, and clearly JS and AP trust his work ethic and judgment to build a team and perform well next season.

I doubt Hurst is being monitored or micromanaged by an unhinged director. The freedom and trust he's afforded will be liberating, and probably motivates him to do more.

And that attitude will filter down to the players he signs, and the players they play with, and the youth players, and their families, and the fans will see all this and... well, we know what can happen when a bit of positivity grips the town.

I'm not going all Uri Geller or anything but if we're all in a positive frame of mind we're less inhibited and free to express our talents. Really, really excited for the season ahead.
Posted by: aldi_01, June 11, 2021, 4:59pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from RichMariner
I think we're seeing what can be achieved when responsible people are trusted to do their job.

I'm not saying Paul Hurst is the best manager in the world, but he's capable, he's hard working, and clearly JS and AP trust his work ethic and judgment to build a team and perform well next season.

I doubt Hurst is being monitored or micromanaged by an unhinged director. The freedom and trust he's afforded will be liberating, and probably motivates him to do more.

And that attitude will filter down to the players he signs, and the players they play with, and the youth players, and their families, and the fans will see all this and... well, we know what can happen when a bit of positivity grips the town.

I'm not going all Uri Geller or anything but if we're all in a positive frame of mind we're less inhibited and free to express our talents. Really, really excited for the season ahead.

I agree, these two don’t look the sort to want to micromanage or interfere in something like the plying side but they have made it clear that people with responsibility will be held to account, PH included. I like that and I’d imagine PH does on a professional level, even if it puts more pressure on him.

Interesting that the players he got a tune out of at Ipswich were the ones he brought in, the ones who weren’t scrap heap premiership types…
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, June 11, 2021, 5:04pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from RichMariner

Obviously he knows his bounds but there cant be too many other clubs that have said to their Manager so much as "spend what you need".

We know Hurst has been given a "figure" by the board but we also know that he can stretch the budget if need be.

That must be the heaviest weight off his shoulders. No wonder he is smiling in every interview now.
Posted by: DB, June 11, 2021, 5:17pm; Reply: 9

Obviously he knows his bounds but there cant be too many other clubs that have said to their Manager so much as "spend what you need".

We know Hurst has been given a "figure" by the board but we also know that he can stretch the budget if need be.

That must be the heaviest weight off his shoulders. No wonder he is smiling in every interview now.

Probably because he hasn't got a monkey on his back!

Posted by: acko338, June 22, 2021, 6:26pm; Reply: 10
Just popping this one back up, with more recommendations by ex players as to how Hurst and Doig work, and also how good the fans can be when behind the team.

This is building reputation that MUST hold us in good stead when talking to prospects.

The age of signings is good, and proper pre season training will help to get all new players bedded in and those still in.place having genuine competition for 1st team places.

Looking now for those not wanted to be given every chance to move on.

Now Hurst is back on site after his break, I fully expect things to happen in both directions over the next 2 weeks.
Posted by: RonMariner, June 23, 2021, 9:40am; Reply: 11
Quoted from acko338
Just popping this one back up, with more recommendations by ex players as to how Hurst and Doig work, and also how good the fans can be when behind the team.

This is building reputation that MUST hold us in good stead when talking to prospects.

The age of signings is good, and proper pre season training will help to get all new players bedded in and those still in.place having genuine competition for 1st team places.

Looking now for those not wanted to be given every chance to move on.

Now Hurst is back on site after his break, I fully expect things to happen in both directions over the next 2 weeks.

For the first time in decades I am seeing a truly professional approach.

There is an expression in business;  'The organisation is the response to the leadership.'

The difference between the new and the old ownership is becoming more apparent daily.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, June 23, 2021, 10:24am; Reply: 12
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Didn't redknepp take krancjar everywhere with him??

There were non-footballing reasons for that (allegedly).

Redknapp also had a soft spot for Defoe and Crouch and signed them multiple times.
Posted by: rancido, June 23, 2021, 12:38pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from RonMariner

For the first time in decades I am seeing a truly professional approach.

There is an expression in business;  'The organisation is the response to the leadership.'

The difference between the new and the old ownership is becoming more apparent daily.

I think Hurst and Doig have learnt an awful lot about football management since they were last here. The intervening years have been a big learning curve for both of them.
Posted by: DB, June 23, 2021, 5:17pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from rancido

I think Hurst and Doig have learnt an awful lot about football management since they were last here. The intervening years have been a big learning curve for both of them.

It also helps when you have the attitude the new owners have. ;)

Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 3:00pm