Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: sutton mariner, June 10, 2021, 1:08am
Now then,

After a nice wee trip to the Isle of Wight this weekend I found myself in one of those little gift shops, trying to find some sun cream, pink nosed and with the sun making an unexpected appearance.

Next to to the till lie a rack of hand carved wooden beer matts with all sorts of strange clubs from Bromley, Den Haag & the mighty Grimsby Town.

That got me thinking, has anyone ever brought some not quite official town merch from further afield than Shanklin on the Isle of Wight, some 270 miles from the motherland?

The owner did inform me that he’s sold 5 other Grimsby Town wooden beer matts, as he has to order them in sixes, and mine was the last. In that case I believe I’ve answered my own question.

Posted by: Spatchcock, June 10, 2021, 5:59am; Reply: 1
Took one of my town shirts to Afghanistan - Herrick 11
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, June 10, 2021, 7:44am; Reply: 2
Title may need amending

Brought and bought are different meanings
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, June 10, 2021, 7:48am; Reply: 3
I recall seeing a GTFC scarf for sale in a seafront shop in Calpe in Spain. I didn't buy one for 2 reasons.

1) I already had one

2) it was 36c in the shade
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), June 10, 2021, 7:58am; Reply: 4
Quoted from Spatchcock
Took one of my town shirts to Afghanistan - Herrick 11

Respect bro!  #STABILIS

Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 10, 2021, 8:31am; Reply: 5
I bought a set of wooden ‘Russian’ dolls in Prague in full town kits
Posted by: bedders78, June 10, 2021, 9:23am; Reply: 6
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Tony Crane down to Dave Gilbert?
Posted by: Mallyner, June 10, 2021, 9:23am; Reply: 7
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Ha ha.  :)

I don't like Russian dolls, I find they are full of themselves.  ;)

Posted by: AdamHaddock, June 10, 2021, 10:51am; Reply: 8
I bought the Wembley 98 shirt on a market stall on Blackpool seafront
Posted by: jamesgtfc, June 10, 2021, 11:09am; Reply: 9
Nobody has confessed to buying a Grimbsy scarf at Wembley yet I see...
Posted by: livosnose, June 10, 2021, 11:12am; Reply: 10
I bought a Grimsby Town birthday card in Shipley once .
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 10, 2021, 11:28am; Reply: 11
Quoted from bedders78

Tony Crane down to Dave Gilbert?

No mate, Parkinson-macca-ready-whittle and a n other!
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, June 10, 2021, 11:28am; Reply: 12
Does anyone remember 20 years ago or so you could by a kind of car sticker thing that had a pen attached to it from souvenir shops usually at seaside resorts?

The sticker was essentially a small plastic card mini shirt with a suction cup to fix it to a window. They were very generic like "Manchester C, Manchester U, Sheffield W etc, the Town one just said "Grimsby", the pen was just white with Grimsby written in black on the side, really basic and tacky.

I bought one of these from Cornwall, must have been 1999 or 2000?
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 10, 2021, 11:35am; Reply: 13
I bought a town wembley 98 shirt at the stadium.

Wore it in Vegas and Hawaai  also wore an England shirt with just the cross on it no wording.

That baffled the guide and he knew we were from England.  :Bh
Posted by: Civvy at last, June 10, 2021, 2:54pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

No mate, Parkinson-macca-ready-whittle and a n other!

I know you’re telling the truth. Because I have the same set !!

Tallest about 3’’’ smallest about 1’’
Posted by: psgmariner, June 10, 2021, 2:57pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Civvy at last

I know you’re telling the truth. Because I have the same set !!

Tallest about 3’’’ smallest about 1’’

Me too!

Also from Prague.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, June 10, 2021, 7:01pm; Reply: 16
When I was in the Navy I served on HMS Minerva and while we were on a trip around the Mediterranean (1991) I gave my Town scarf to a pub owner in Varna who hung it above the bar, I do sometimes still wonder if it’s still there.  8)
Posted by: DB, June 10, 2021, 7:10pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from cmackenzie4
When I was in the Navy I served on HMS Minerva and while we were on a trip around the Mediterranean (1991) I gave my Town scarf to a pub owner in Varna who hung it above the bar, I do sometimes still wonder if it’s still there.  8)

No problem, you pay my modest expenses and go look for you. ;)

Posted by: Poojah, June 10, 2021, 8:18pm; Reply: 18
I seem to remember there was a great story a number of years back about a Town fan who got caught up in a military coup while working in Africa, and ended up spending days stood on an oil barrel at gunpoint.

Thinking he was about to be shot dead, he offered his Town shirt to his captor who agreed to spare his life in return.

I’m sure I remember reading something to that effect. Can anyone confirm I’m not imagining things?
Posted by: londonmariner2, June 10, 2021, 8:35pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from psgmariner

Me too!

Also from Prague.

i have the same set Sam Jones, Bogle and Bolarinwa
Posted by: fazer11, June 10, 2021, 8:44pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from sutton mariner
Now then,

After a nice wee trip to the Isle of Wight this weekend I found myself in one of those little gift shops, trying to find some sun cream, pink nosed and with the sun making an unexpected appearance.

Next to to the till lie a rack of hand carved wooden beer matts with all sorts of strange clubs from Bromley, Den Haag & the mighty Grimsby Town.

That got me thinking, has anyone ever brought some not quite official town merch from further afield than Shanklin on the Isle of Wight, some 270 miles from the motherland?

The owner did inform me that he’s sold 5 other Grimsby Town wooden beer matts, as he has to order them in sixes, and mine was the last. In that case I believe I’ve answered my own question.

One of those beer matts belong to me! Assuming it was from the same place :)
Posted by: NorthLondonMariner, June 10, 2021, 9:17pm; Reply: 21
Not bought. But I did once trade an old town shirt for a Senegal shirt with a local on the Mauritania/Senegal border. Even taught him a few anti-Yorkshire chants during the 6 hours we had to wait to cross for refusing to pay the border guards a hundred euro bribe to be "fast-tracked"

excuse the poor quality photo, the shutter got stuck and clogged up with sand after weeks in the Sahara.

[url=https://ibb.co/NpRB04g][img]https://i.ibb.co/92P5xMm/Screenshot-20210610-210319-Facebook.jpg[/img][/url]
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, June 10, 2021, 9:31pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from NorthLondonMariner
[url=https://ibb.co/NpRB04g][img]https://i.ibb.co/92P5xMm/Screenshot-20210610-210319-Facebook.jpg[/img][/url]

Are you sure you aren't sneaking us a glimpse of our next signing,
Posted by: NorthLondonMariner, June 10, 2021, 9:34pm; Reply: 23

Are you sure you aren't sneaking us a glimpse of our next signing,

serge makofo junior. He's not very good. We ment to sign the guy whos stood next to him but someone cocked up ;)
Posted by: LH, June 10, 2021, 10:05pm; Reply: 24
You can trade anything from an ‘ivory’ carving to a small village including all livestock for a football shirt in Africa. Wore my shirt on a Saturday afternoon once for a ‘cultural walk’ around Nanyuki in Kenya. Never known harrassment like it. Didn’t do it again.
Posted by: LH, June 10, 2021, 10:06pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from grimsby pete
I bought a town wembley 98 shirt at the stadium.

Wore it in Vegas and Hawaai  also wore an England shirt with just the cross on it no wording.

That baffled the guide and he knew we were from England.  :Bh

Me and my dad were in the queue at the till at Walmart in Dallas in 2004. I was wearing my Euro 2004 England home shirt and the man in front of us turned round and asked us if we were Australian cause we said mate a lot.
Posted by: NorthLondonMariner, June 10, 2021, 10:18pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from LH
You can trade anything from an ‘ivory’ carving to a small village including all livestock for a football shirt in Africa. Wore my shirt on a Saturday afternoon once for a ‘cultural walk’ around Nanyuki in Kenya. Never known harrassment like it. Didn’t do it again.

It was the constant bribes being expected by virtually every single policeman or border guard we came in to contact with between Morocco and Gambia that got on my mammaries. It wasn't so bad at first coz we paid the bribes with cheap fags and ballpoint pens we bought in Gibraltar, but they had run out by the time we got to the Senegal border, and those border guards were grade A girl privates wanting massive backhanders, both on the way in and on the way out.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, June 10, 2021, 11:02pm; Reply: 27
Remember being in grand canary and a market seller. Had all sorts of fake stuff he asked me my team was and I told him Grimsby and challenged him to find something in his stock a few moments later with big smile he produce a gtfc badge. Laugh out loud I had to buy it  
Posted by: Rasen 17, June 11, 2021, 7:09am; Reply: 28
bought a set of wooden ‘Russian’ dolls in Prague in full town kits,, mine had Michael Reddy down to McDermott being the smallest.
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 13, 2021, 12:34pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from LH

Me and my dad were in the queue at the till at Walmart in Dallas in 2004. I was wearing my Euro 2004 England home shirt and the man in front of us turned round and asked us if we were Australian cause we said mate a lot.

For some reason the yanks seem to think a lot of us brits are Australian we were asked a couple of times where we from Aussie.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 14, 2021, 7:11am; Reply: 30
Quoted from grimsby pete

For some reason the yanks seem to think a lot of us brits are Australian we were asked a couple of times where we from Aussie.

Cos they have two British accents in their heads. Posh or cockney.
Posted by: realist, June 15, 2021, 1:12pm; Reply: 31
I bought some items in Spain. Pre season tour  in 1970 or 72. Played one game in Tossa de Mar
Could have been 1975
Posted by: kenlyn, June 15, 2021, 5:17pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from crusty ole pie
Remember being in grand canary and a market seller. Had all sorts of fake stuff he asked me my team was and I told him Grimsby and challenged him to find something in his stock a few moments later with big smile he produce a gtfc badge. Laugh out loud I had to buy it  

That also happened to me in Gran Canaria, I came across a street seller with football fridge magnets and after scanning them said I bet you have not got a Grimsby one.
He picked up his box and a few minutes of sorting out came the Grimsby one. Yes I was the same had to buy it but for 6 euros did not seem too expensive.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, June 15, 2021, 6:00pm; Reply: 33
In the late 1960s somebody went to Norway (no idea who now).  They knew that I supported Town. They came back with a strange “scull cap” for a small child.  It was red and white with a bobble on the end of a 4 inch piece of cord.  Woven on the front were the words “Grimsby Town”.  

A mystery.  Even the colours.
Posted by: Henryscat, June 15, 2021, 9:18pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Snap but Budapest
Posted by: Mayaman, June 18, 2021, 10:46am; Reply: 35
Quoted from Poojah
I seem to remember there was a great story a number of years back about a Town fan who got caught up in a military coup while working in Africa, and ended up spending days stood on an oil barrel at gunpoint.

Thinking he was about to be shot dead, he offered his Town shirt to his captor who agreed to spare his life in return.

I’m sure I remember reading something to that effect. Can anyone confirm I’m not imagining things?

Can I have some of what your taking?
Posted by: Mayaman, June 18, 2021, 10:53am; Reply: 36
I was travelling around Australia on a tight budget and needed a haircut.  I went into a barbers and the price he told me was too high.  I thanked him and turned to go when he said, "Wait a minute mate.  What football team do you support?" "Grimsby Town", I replied.  He gave me the cut for half price.  He was born in Caistor.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 18, 2021, 11:49am; Reply: 37
Quoted from Mayaman
I was travelling around Australia on a tight budget and needed a haircut.  I went into a barbers and the price he told me was too high.  I thanked him and turned to go when he said, "Wait a minute mate.  What football team do you support?" "Grimsby Town", I replied.  He gave me the cut for half price.  He was born in Caistor.

Same thing happened to me but the barber was from Scunthorpe. Never again 😉
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 18, 2021, 12:03pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Same thing happened to me but the barber was from Scunthorpe. Never again 😉

I had a mate that got one done by a bloke in Spain with loads of orange tree’s around.

Not seen him for a while
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, June 18, 2021, 12:35pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Mayaman

I got on an internal flight in the US, when I lived there, probably going from Philadelphia to Chicago. One of the stewards was English and we had a chat about where you live and then when we got on to where he was from....Skeggy.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 18, 2021, 4:35pm; Reply: 40

I got on an internal flight in the US, when I lived there, probably going from Philadelphia to Chicago. One of the stewards was English and we had a chat about where you live and then when we got on to where he was from....Skeggy.

Got chatting to an English ex-pat in a flag shop(!) in Sonoma, California, about 30 years ago. Turns out he was from Skeggy and said he opened the first fish and chip place in California several years before.
Posted by: forza ivano, June 18, 2021, 5:12pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner
Does anyone remember 20 years ago or so you could by a kind of car sticker thing that had a pen attached to it from souvenir shops usually at seaside resorts?

The sticker was essentially a small plastic card mini shirt with a suction cup to fix it to a window. They were very generic like "Manchester C, Manchester U, Sheffield W etc, the Town one just said "Grimsby", the pen was just white with Grimsby written in black on the side, really basic and tacky.

I bought one of these from Cornwall, must have been 1999 or 2000?

anyone remember a similar suction cup thing, which had a waving hand and you stuck it in your car's rear window?
Posted by: fishboyUTM, June 19, 2021, 12:42pm; Reply: 42
I've seen a GTFC painted pebble in Ao Nang in Thailand. Though in all fairness, he had all 92 (before Fenty of course) PL and EFL clubs and plenty of others.
Posted by: Azimuth, June 19, 2021, 12:51pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from forza ivano

anyone remember a similar suction cup thing, which had a waving hand and you stuck it in your car's rear window?

I remember those, my neighbour had one on his yellow Capri, he also had those rear window louvres and stick on sun visor with GTFC on, I thought it was the dogs as a kid in the 70s.
Posted by: Welwynmariner, June 19, 2021, 2:27pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from LH

Most Americans seem incapable of distinguishing the English and Australian accent. I was in Santa Barbara once and was asked what part of Australia I was from. I said I wasn't Australian and this woman said - there I told you he was South African.
Posted by: GrimExile, June 19, 2021, 2:40pm; Reply: 45
This doesn’t really count I know, but when on holiday in Australia I was on a tourist tour bus in Melbourne and I saw a guy walking on the street wearing a town shirt. Sad I know but I thought it was amazing at the time.
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 8:21am