Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Mikey_345, June 8, 2021, 1:02pm
Rumour on Twitter he’s agreed to join us, turning down a few league clubs.

Source: https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-grimsby-town-agree-to-sign-scunthorpe-united-striker-mcatee/amp/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter&__twitter_impression=true
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, June 8, 2021, 1:15pm; Reply: 1
Well, the link is there. McAtee would have been at Shrewsbury and Scunthorpe, when Hurst was at both clubs.
Posted by: GhostDan, June 8, 2021, 1:19pm; Reply: 2
Seem to remember he played quite well when they beat us 1-0 at BP,  when Hurst was Manager of the scunts?
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, June 8, 2021, 1:24pm; Reply: 3
Says he rejected multiple offers from EFL clubs.   Good. And good that other clubs also rate him.

Posted by: Youngy, June 8, 2021, 1:25pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Says he rejected multiple offers from EFL clubs.   Good. And good that other clubs also rate him.

Newcastle were apparently interested last season.
Posted by: Poojah, June 8, 2021, 2:32pm; Reply: 5
He's not been the same since he went on the run in Belize.
Posted by: forza ivano, June 8, 2021, 3:18pm; Reply: 6
https://www.iron-bru.co.uk/forums/topic/mcatee-and-hallam/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McAtee

sounds like he's obviously got some ability
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, June 8, 2021, 3:29pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from forza ivano

Yeah, my Iron pal says he's absolutely garbage. Sounds promissing  ;D :X
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, June 8, 2021, 3:59pm; Reply: 8
11 goals in 90 appearances for a striker...
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 8, 2021, 4:02pm; Reply: 9

Better than most we've had the past few seasons.  ;D
Posted by: jamesgtfc, June 8, 2021, 4:21pm; Reply: 10

That's about 3x more prolific than the man he would replace, Matt Green.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, June 8, 2021, 4:32pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from jamesgtfc

That's about 3x more prolific than the man he would replace, Matt Green.

I was missing the obligatory bash Matt Green post  :)
Posted by: pizzzza, June 8, 2021, 4:42pm; Reply: 12

Easy to say 11 in 90 "Appearances" but those are not necessarily starts. How many of those 90 apps were 2 minutes cameos as a sub? As he is a young player probably quite a few I'd say. In theory those 90 apps could equate to just 90 mins on the pitch if he was brought on with 1 min to go each time. How many chances did he need to get those 9 goals? What else does he bring to the team?

"11 goals in 90 appearances for a striker..." tells you intercourse all about him as a player and how good he is.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 8, 2021, 4:55pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from pizzzza

Easy to say 11 in 90 "Appearances" but those are not necessarily starts. How many of those 90 apps were 2 minutes cameos as a sub? As he is a young player probably quite a few I'd say. In theory those 90 apps could equate to just 90 mins on the pitch if he was brought on with 1 min to go each time. How many chances did he need to get those 9 goals? What else does he bring to the team?

"11 goals in 90 appearances for a striker..." tells you intercourse all about him as a player and how good he is.

He will also be playing in a decent team against poorer opposition, we hope.😀

Posted by: forza ivano, June 8, 2021, 4:56pm; Reply: 14
found this - very gushing piece!  he sounds a real prospect from that
Posted by: bax, June 8, 2021, 5:07pm; Reply: 15
11 in 90 tells you nothing when most last year were as a sub.

Remember Padraig Amond when we signed him?

2010–2012     Paços de Ferreira     17     (0)
2011–2012     → Accrington Stanley (loan)     42     (7)
2012–2013     Accrington Stanley     36     (9)
2013–2015     Morecambe     82     (19)

35 goals in 177 games. Hardly standout. He turned out alright.

Last year we had too many players coming to the end of their careers. Perhaps we're now looking at players at the start of theirs with something to prove?
Posted by: horsforthmariner, June 8, 2021, 5:14pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from pizzzza

And you don't know if he's been played as a winger.

Fundamentally, if he was scoring 20 goals a season in league 2 he'd be going up a division not down one.
Posted by: DB, June 8, 2021, 5:15pm; Reply: 17
If he has signed then don't knock him till he's played a few games for us.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, June 8, 2021, 5:15pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from bax
11 in 90 tells you nothing when most last year were as a sub.

Remember Padraig Amond when we signed him?

2010–2012     Paços de Ferreira     17     (0)
2011–2012     → Accrington Stanley (loan)     42     (7)
2012–2013     Accrington Stanley     36     (9)
2013–2015     Morecambe     82     (19)

35 goals in 177 games. Hardly standout. He turned out alright.

Last year we had too many players coming to the end of their careers. Perhaps we're now looking at players at the start of theirs with something to prove?

Yes but we also knew Podge coming in had been played as a winger for Morecombe not as a striker one of the main reasons we were able to sign him as Hurst had promised to play him in his desired position

Posted by: bax, June 8, 2021, 5:23pm; Reply: 19

Yes but we also knew Podge coming in had been played as a winger for Morecombe not as a striker one of the main reasons we were able to sign him as Hurst had promised to play him in his desired position

I don't think Scunthorpe have played McAtee in his favoured position either, according to a mate of mine who supports them.
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, June 8, 2021, 5:25pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from bax

I don't think Scunthorpe have played McAtee in his favoured position either, according to a mate of mine who supports them.

You’ve a mate who supports Scunny? I’d keep that quiet
Posted by: mimma, June 8, 2021, 5:32pm; Reply: 21
One of the comments in the scunny forum was that Hurst played him in his natural position,  and Cox maybe should have tried doing the same.

Hurst knows him from his time there, so we should trust his judgement.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, June 8, 2021, 5:53pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from pizzzza

Quite true.

His stats are on TransferMarkt

Last season with Scunny he was picked in their squad 36 times, actually played some part in 30 of those games, but of those 30 games he was substituted ON 18 times, and subsituted OFF 10 times. So unless he was unlucky to have been subbed ON and OFF in the same game, he only played 2 FULL games, because for 28 of the 30 games he only played a bit part.

In 30 games he played 1,246 minutes which equates to 41.5 minutes per game.
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, June 8, 2021, 6:12pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Bristol Mariner

You’ve a mate who supports Scunny? I’d keep that quiet

I've lived there for over 15 years and still dont have any mates who watch Scunny.

Ok i haven't got that many mates over this way but...

I have seen him a play a couple of times. Can't say he greatly impressed me from what I can recall but a hard worker who puts himself about and I think there are those in the Scunny support who do rate him. If he's had multiple offers from other League clubs he maybe does have something about him.

Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, June 8, 2021, 6:29pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from BottesfordMariner
If he's had multiple offers from other League clubs he maybe does have something about him.

Or he doesn't want to up sticks and move far away if he has family
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 8, 2021, 6:42pm; Reply: 25
Now confirmed.

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2021/june/hurst-delighted-to-welcome-mcatee/
Posted by: ClarkyGTFC, June 8, 2021, 6:58pm; Reply: 26
Some people slating a player again before he’s kicked a ball. He’s played in leagues higher than ours let’s give the lad a chance. In hursty we trust
Posted by: forza ivano, June 8, 2021, 7:04pm; Reply: 27
Hurst seems really excited by having got him. Obviously very good relationship between mcatee, Hirst and Doug especially. Dont think I've ever heard hurst being so enthusiatic
Posted by: Davec, June 8, 2021, 7:05pm; Reply: 28
Does anybody know how long he has signed for? Doesn't say on the article.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 8, 2021, 7:11pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Davec

Two-year deal.

Posted by: Mikey_345, June 8, 2021, 7:12pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Davec

Thought I saw it mentioned somewhere that it was 2 years. No idea of potential options but they’re generally standard for a player around 21 years old.
Posted by: MarinerDevil, June 8, 2021, 7:14pm; Reply: 31
Comments from his last club suggest he has talent but has an attitude problem.  Heard the same when we signed Jon Nolan.

Hurst obviously likes him and I think dropping to non-league might kick start his career, as has happened to a number of players when they've stepped down to play under Hurst.  

Excited by this one.
Posted by: moosey_club, June 8, 2021, 7:19pm; Reply: 32
Now that seems a bit odd to me, I may well be forgetting someone but the article says "we will be paying a fee" .....jeez, that seems along time ago since that was said of an incoming player.
Times are a changing for sure
Posted by: Marinerdan, June 8, 2021, 7:42pm; Reply: 33
Hurst clearly knows and likes him. He appears to have loads of potential but hasn’t quite sparked for him yet. turned down an offer from Scunthorpe too (although they may just have been to get a few quid for him)

Could well turn out to be an excellent bit of business.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, June 8, 2021, 7:44pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from moosey_club
Now that seems a bit odd to me, I may well be forgetting someone but the article says "we will be paying a fee" .....jeez, that seems along time ago since that was said of an incoming player.
Times are a changing for sure

Yeah he’s under 24 and they offered him a deal. Hopefully he really shines here.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, June 8, 2021, 8:21pm; Reply: 35
There are quite a few accusations of him being lazy which is a slight worry, but Hurst seems genuinely thrilled to have him and he doesn't tolerate a lack of effort. Absolutely delighted to be cracking on with doing business like this.
Posted by: Tommy, June 8, 2021, 8:59pm; Reply: 36
If there's one thing I'm not worried about, it's Hurst signing a player who is allegedly "lazy."

I think being hard-working is probably PH's most prioritised attribute in a player. And he has got rid of some very talented players here in the past who didn't work hard enough.

So, without taking what these (potentially bitter) Scunny fans are saying, if this lad doesn't work hard he won't play under Hurst. So no worries from me.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, June 8, 2021, 9:12pm; Reply: 37
There is a clip in his interview where he calmly slots the ball in the bottom corner. People often mistake people who are calm and lurk in the box as lazy. Hurst might give someone who is lazy one contract but he won't give him 3.
Posted by: ginnywings, June 8, 2021, 9:42pm; Reply: 38
Signing young players for a fee. Now there's a novelty. We are in danger of resembling a well run club.

Welcome to BP young man.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), June 8, 2021, 10:03pm; Reply: 39
Interesting to se that PH is getting some signings in early, could be a sign that they were at the top of his shopping list.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, June 8, 2021, 10:35pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from 123614
Interesting to se that PH is getting some signings in early, could be a sign that they were at the top of his shopping list.

My thoughts exactly. We aren't used to getting signings over the line this early.

I think that deserves a little wry smile.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, June 8, 2021, 11:02pm; Reply: 41
If he can slot them away as sweetly as seen in this tweet, he could score 80 goals in a season.......

...........but the opponents defensive lines would have to made out of metal poles and plastic

https://twitter.com/Brath85/status/1400088711761645569?s=19
Posted by: bawarmy, June 9, 2021, 12:07am; Reply: 42
Quoted from 123614

Get the ones who are worth signing in. Don’t go for the dregs like insane Ian did
Posted by: bawarmy, June 9, 2021, 12:09am; Reply: 43
Quoted from bawarmy

Get the ones who are worth signing in before they are snapped up. Don’t go for the dregs like insane Ian did a week before the season starts

Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, June 9, 2021, 12:37am; Reply: 44
If he can slot them away as sweetly as seen in this tweet, he could score 80 goals in a season.......

...........but the opponents defensive lines would have to made out of metal poles and plastic

That’s his brother James who is a highly rated prospect at Man City mate 🤣
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, June 9, 2021, 12:40am; Reply: 45
How long has he signed for? Kept mentioning 'it will be a good year' or words to that effect.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, June 9, 2021, 12:59am; Reply: 46
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

That’s his brother James who is a highly rated prospect at Man City mate 🤣

Are they identical twins? Can we play him instead?

John might sway his brother into coming on loan to us.
Posted by: arryarryarry, June 9, 2021, 4:16am; Reply: 47
https://www.iron-bru.co.uk/forums/topic/john-mcatee/
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, June 9, 2021, 7:53am; Reply: 48
I'm encouraged that we've signed 2 players who have chosen to play for us ahead of others and talk very positively about Hurst and what is going on at the club.

Makes a very refreshing change from what we've got used to over the last few years.

All this positivity is giving me a headache.......
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, June 9, 2021, 7:59am; Reply: 49
Pettitivity and Stockwood Syndrome
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, June 9, 2021, 8:04am; Reply: 50
Quoted from arryarryarry

Generally a fairly balanced review and comments on the ferrous fingers forum...sounds the sort of player who needs an arm round his shoulder and that arm is Hursts and probably Doigs foot up his jacksy occasionally...liking that he appears to have talent, let's hope he shines under Hurst, again
Posted by: thefish, June 9, 2021, 8:16am; Reply: 51

Is that Matt Haywood defending?
Posted by: bedders78, June 9, 2021, 8:36am; Reply: 52
Quoted from Tommy
If there's one thing I'm not worried about, it's Hurst signing a player who is allegedly "lazy."

I think being hard-working is probably PH's most prioritised attribute in a player. And he has got rid of some very talented players here in the past who didn't work hard enough.

So, without taking what these (potentially bitter) Scunny fans are saying, if this lad doesn't work hard he won't play under Hurst. So no worries from me.

“You can put a dog on the pitch and it will run around,” Hurst said, “but you won't do very well with 11 dogs.” Keep us shape is also working hard.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 9, 2021, 9:17am; Reply: 53
Quoted from thefish

Is that Matt Haywood defending?

Post of the week right here!
Posted by: Mariner_09, June 9, 2021, 9:23am; Reply: 54
If there are concerns about his attitude but at the same time Hursty seems over the moon to get this one done, I'd say Hursty backs himself to get McAtee to run through a brick wall for him.
Posted by: aldi_01, June 9, 2021, 9:30am; Reply: 55
Quoted from Mariner_09
If there are concerns about his attitude but at the same time Hursty seems over the moon to get this one done, I'd say Hursty backs himself to get McAtee to run through a brick wall for him.

Remember when bitter Lincoln fans said similar about Nolan…
Posted by: cannylad68, June 9, 2021, 10:38am; Reply: 56
I can't remember any player we signed from Scunthorpe being above average.

Perhaps someone will correct me,
Posted by: dicko995, June 9, 2021, 10:50am; Reply: 57
The best thing to come out of Scunthorpe is the M180
Posted by: BeijingMariner, June 9, 2021, 10:52am; Reply: 58
[quote=140625
In 30 games he played 1,246 minutes which equates to 41.5 minutes per game.[/quote]

And if my Maths is right that means it took him 113 minutes to get each goal....
Posted by: moosey_club, June 9, 2021, 10:59am; Reply: 59
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Yeah he’s under 24 and they offered him a deal. Hopefully he really shines here.

Jesus, what kind of backward thinking club does a thing like that ?
😉
Posted by: Posh Harry, June 9, 2021, 10:59am; Reply: 60
Quoted from BeijingMariner
[quote=140625
In 30 games he played 1,246 minutes which equates to 41.5 minutes per game.

And if my Maths is right that means it took him 113 minutes to get each goal....[/quote]

A goal every game and a half works for me!
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, June 9, 2021, 10:59am; Reply: 61
If you put a dog on the pitch it would chase McAtee.   His middle letters spell “cat”.  ☺️
Posted by: Zmariner, June 9, 2021, 11:04am; Reply: 62
Quoted from cannylad68

Kevin Kilmore was good
Lee Ridley for a less positive one
Utm
Posted by: Poojah, June 9, 2021, 11:14am; Reply: 63
Quoted from Zmariner

Kevin Kilmore was good
Lee Ridley for a less positive one
Utm

Terry Barwick is one of my all time heroes, not just in football but in life.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, June 9, 2021, 11:16am; Reply: 64
Quoted from cannylad68

Kevin Kilmore
Posted by: Zmariner, June 9, 2021, 12:04pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from Poojah

You did well to bring that one up, I had forgotten him completely. Peter Beagrie was another life hero
Posted by: DB, June 9, 2021, 12:25pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from bawarmy

Get the ones who are worth signing in. Don’t go for the dregs like insane Ian did

Those that sign early want to come and play for the club. Whereas those who come later may want to play for us but are hanging out for more money and will only come if they can't get fixed up elsewhere for better money than we offer.
Posted by: cannylad68, June 9, 2021, 12:59pm; Reply: 67
Agreed Kevin Kilmore was excellent. I think he once scored 4 goals in one game for us.

Ron Ashman was only average.
Posted by: BeijingMariner, June 9, 2021, 1:06pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from Posh Harry

And if my Maths is right that means it took him 113 minutes to get each goal....

A goal every game and a half works for me![/quote]

indeed, sir, indeed, my point exactly :-)
Posted by: Meza, June 9, 2021, 1:28pm; Reply: 69
Tony Daws was good maybe not as good when he was at Sunny with Andy Flounders.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, June 9, 2021, 2:50pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from BeijingMariner

A goal every game and a half works for me!

indeed, sir, indeed, my point exactly :-)[/quote]

Sounds a lot better when we have the facts rather than some people just making random statements with no proof

I'd happily take 2 goals every 3 games. Golden boot anyone?
Posted by: RonMariner, June 9, 2021, 3:13pm; Reply: 71

I'd happily take 2 goals every 3 games. Golden boot anyone?

I'll outbid you there.....I'd happily take two goals every four games.

We've done well recently getting two goals a season out of some of our forwards.
Posted by: moosey_club, June 9, 2021, 5:06pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from Poojah

I am intrigued , as on the surface I can see no possible reason why that would be the case.
Please expand....
Posted by: rancido, June 9, 2021, 5:26pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from dicko995
The best thing to come out of Scunthorpe is the M180

A tad pedantic but the M180 doesn't go into Scuntthorpe
Posted by: DB, June 9, 2021, 5:54pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from rancido

A tad pedantic but the M180 doesn't go into Scuntthorpe

M181
Posted by: bobbyturtle, June 9, 2021, 6:56pm; Reply: 75

he goes both ways
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 9, 2021, 7:25pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from bobbyturtle

he goes both ways

How very metropolitan
Posted by: Caveman, June 9, 2021, 9:43pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from bobbyturtle

he goes both ways

But he can only shoot into one corner, or so it seems.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, June 9, 2021, 9:56pm; Reply: 78
If you were the M180 would you go To Scunthorpe?
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, June 10, 2021, 12:37am; Reply: 79
Probally most have seen the interview already, but, for anyone who hasn't...

[youtube]aZrbWy8WEu8[/youtube]
Posted by: Garth, June 10, 2021, 10:07am; Reply: 80
Quoted from DB

Those that sign early want to come and play for the club. Whereas those who come later may want to play for us but are hanging out for more money and will only come if they can't get fixed up elsewhere for better money than we offer.

Like life in general at all levels, makes sense to me, family first football second
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), June 10, 2021, 11:40am; Reply: 81
Quoted from Garth

Like life in general at all levels, makes sense to me, family first football second

Try telling that to an RSM!   ;)

Posted by: RonMariner, June 10, 2021, 12:57pm; Reply: 82
A good interview, as was the one with Sears. They both look like determined players and both respect Hurst as a manager. Coke also interviewed very positively.

Early days yet, but it looks like we are starting to build a decent squad.
Posted by: Poojah, June 23, 2021, 10:48pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from Poojah
He's not been the same since he went on the run in Belize.

Ah well, this joke lasted a couple of weeks…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57589822
Posted by: rancido, June 23, 2021, 11:16pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from 123614

Try telling that to an RSM!   ;)

You miss your mother, son. Well, I'm your mother now!
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, June 23, 2021, 11:20pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from Poojah

Ah well, this joke lasted a couple of weeks…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57589822

Ashcroft’s daughter-in-law hasn’t bumped him off too has she?

That’s Lord Ashcroft, the famous Tory donor. As opposed to Lee Ashcroft, who was famously fond of a döner.
Posted by: Davec, June 24, 2021, 7:03am; Reply: 86

Ashcroft’s daughter-in-law hasn’t bumped him off too has she?

That’s Lord Ashcroft, the famous Tory donor. As opposed to Lee Ashcroft, who was famously fond of a döner.

What's Heartbeat got to do with it?😉

Edit- excrement it was Lord Ashfordly in Heartbeat wasn't it not Lord Ashcroft 😂
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 24, 2021, 10:07am; Reply: 87
Quoted from Davec

What's Heartbeat got to do with it?😉

Edit- excrement it was Lord Ashfordly in Heartbeat wasn't it not Lord Ashcroft 😂

Close enough. It all adds up!
Posted by: Croxton, June 24, 2021, 10:23am; Reply: 88
McAfee tried to charge me £69.99 then 49.99 for automatic renewal on my antivirus. Got it from Amazon for £9.99.  Not John's fault, he sold the company 25 years ago.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), June 24, 2021, 10:56am; Reply: 89
Quoted from rancido

You miss your mother, son. Well, I'm your mother now!

Lol, when we were in Belize we did a 3 mile run at 0530 in the morning, because it was cooler then.  Our OC laughingly called it the Fun Run!

Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, June 24, 2021, 11:58am; Reply: 90
Quoted from 123614

Lol, when we were in Belize we did a 3 mile run at 0530 in the morning, because it was cooler then.  Our OC laughingly called it the Fun Run!

Ah Belize… I have many fond memories during my time there in the early 2000’s. Many of them involving St George’s Quay or Raul’s Rose Garden!
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), June 24, 2021, 1:13pm; Reply: 91
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

Ah Belize… I have many fond memories during my time there in the early 2000’s. Many of them involving St George’s Quay or Raul’s Rose Garden!

Ahh I heard of the Rose Garden  up there in the North, but I was based way down South at Rideau Camp about 3 miles from the town of Punta Gorda.  Only time we came up North was to do a simulated attack on the Harrier hides there, really good fun, came up the river at wave height in Pumas, frightened the locals to death.   ;)

Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 10:35am