Posted by: aldi_01, May 17, 2021, 7:36pm; Reply: 2
I mean how do you stop at ten?
Posted by: Humbercod, May 17, 2021, 7:48pm; Reply: 3
11. Fenty obsessor
Posted by: AdamHaddock, May 17, 2021, 10:01pm; Reply: 4
12. Competitive budget
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 17, 2021, 10:12pm; Reply: 5
13.  A certain Mr Hitler.

We were in the Premiership equivalent in the 1930s.  We struggled after the war as our players were all 6 years older.  As usual, we struggled disproportionately compared to other top flight clubs.  
Posted by: Son of Cod, May 18, 2021, 12:06am; Reply: 6
14. That horrible black and white half and half kit we had in about 2008ish.
Posted by: kamakazebear, May 18, 2021, 1:24am; Reply: 7
Quoted from Son of Cod
14. That horrible black and white half and half kit we had in about 2008ish.

I was reminded of this kit just the other day and liked it!

I hated the one from a few seasons later with a collar and white shoulders. Not sure if it was the design or the fact we were relegated with it that makes me hate it more, just reminds me of Barry Conlon.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 18, 2021, 1:42am; Reply: 8
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
13.  A certain Mr Hitler.

We were in the Premiership equivalent in the 1930s.  We struggled after the war as our players were all 6 years older.  As usual, we struggled disproportionately compared to other top flight clubs.  

The other partner in our fall was:

15. The late Jimmy Hill, who led the players’ strike against the maximum wage, thus giving big city clubs a bigger advantage.

(Tongue in cheek this one. Jimmy was far too good to be joining that lot).
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 18, 2021, 9:29am; Reply: 9
Footballing Fortune.

In my opinion the single biggest obstacle to our progress in the last 20 years.  An obsession that success would be fortunate and that our progression would only come on the back of a cup run or the shock emergence of a teenage megastar we would sell for billions.

It blindsided any hope of actual progression or vision on and off the pitch.  

Michael Jolley will ultimately go down as a footnote as the Fenty era, but appears to have been spot on in his assessment of the club and where it was going wrong.  Don't get me wrong, his football was turgid and he clearly upset far too many people.  But I wonder how much of his departure was down to results and performances as opposed to him bringing home some truths.
Posted by: wuffing, May 18, 2021, 9:53am; Reply: 10
17. Upper Findus sh*thole 'toilets.'
Posted by: crusty ole pie, May 18, 2021, 11:46am; Reply: 11
Looks like nick dale as been placed in it
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 18, 2021, 12:08pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from diehardmariner
Footballing Fortune.

In my opinion the single biggest obstacle to our progress in the last 20 years.  An obsession that success would be fortunate and that our progression would only come on the back of a cup run or the shock emergence of a teenage megastar we would sell for billions.

It blindsided any hope of actual progression or vision on and off the pitch.  

Michael Jolley will ultimately go down as a footnote as the Fenty era, but appears to have been spot on in his assessment of the club and where it was going wrong.  Don't get me wrong, his football was turgid and he clearly upset far too many people.  But I wonder how much of his departure was down to results and performances as opposed to him bringing home some truths.

Agree. There was a strange mixture of miserly penny-pinching, and hopeless optimism that something would turn up. Same attitude applied to the stadium- no money spent on the old whilst pursuing a new stadium with no demonstrable funding.

Scrooge plus Micawber.
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 5:01pm