Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: carrot top, May 15, 2021, 7:55pm
Great to see supporters in the stadium with emotion flowing. Well done Leicester City
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, May 15, 2021, 8:02pm; Reply: 1
Best feel good final since Wigan won it. Apart from the last 20 minutes it was an absolute dogger game though.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 15, 2021, 8:05pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
Best feel good final since Wigan won it. Apart from the last 20 minutes it was an absolute dogger game though.

Grimsby rhyming slang?
Posted by: jaygy, May 15, 2021, 8:10pm; Reply: 3
A drab final brought to life by a top class goal followed by a worldie of a save from Schmeichel. The underdogs won with a few of their fans in the ground too
Posted by: GollyGTFC, May 15, 2021, 8:12pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from jaygy
A drab final brought to life by a top class goal followed by a worldie of a save from Schmeichel. The underdogs won with a few of their fans in the ground too

Underdogs? You looked the Premier League recently?
Posted by: GollyGTFC, May 15, 2021, 8:13pm; Reply: 5
Who the f**k do Leicester think they are? Do they not know their place in the world? Are they a member of the "Big 6"? No! What makes them think it's acceptable to beat Chelsea & deny valuable revenue to a bigger and better club?
Posted by: Hagrid, May 15, 2021, 8:14pm; Reply: 6
Pleased for Leicester
Posted by: moosey_club, May 15, 2021, 8:16pm; Reply: 7
Tax dodging, debt slipping cheating b@st@rds if you ask me.
Posted by: smokey111, May 15, 2021, 8:19pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from moosey_club
Tax dodging, debt slipping cheating b@st@rds if you ask me.

Is it just me, but does Schmeichel have all the strutting arrogance of his father? Great keeper but a first class p***k.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, May 15, 2021, 8:38pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from smokey111

Is it just me, but does Schmeichel have all the strutting arrogance of his father? Great keeper but a first class p***k.

I thought he was quite (genuinely) emotional. You could tell he was emotional because he got more and more Manc.

Remember it was Schmeichel who was one of the first on the scene at the helicopter crash to try to save Aiyawatt’s Dad.

Nice touch making sure he lifted the trophy with Morgan and Albrighton getting to be one of the first to lift the trophy. Plus getting Aiyawatt down.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, May 15, 2021, 8:56pm; Reply: 10
Just pleased it was won by someone other than the so called big 6, although Arsenal currently in 9th place.
Posted by: jaygy, May 15, 2021, 8:56pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from smokey111

I don't see it tbh, his dad was one of the best keepers in the world but also came across as a bit of sharp object. Kasper doesn't seem the same in that way, just a great keeper and enjoys winning
Posted by: pizzzza, May 15, 2021, 8:59pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Underdogs? You looked the Premier League recently?

Did you see the bookies odds on the match? Leicester were the underdogs.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 15, 2021, 9:03pm; Reply: 13
Schmeichel fact of the day: in 05/06 he played against us for 2 different clubs AND both games were in his first 9 as a professional. Another one of those same time tomorrow.
Posted by: LH, May 15, 2021, 9:36pm; Reply: 14
Really pleased Leicester won it and loads of stories within a story to go with it. Two all time great moments in the game with the worldie goal and as good if not better save from Mount’s effort to preserve it. If someone would have told a 24yr old Jamie Vardy that he’d win the League and the FA Cup, play for England and score 100+ PL goals in the following ten years do you think he’d believe them?
Posted by: mariner91, May 15, 2021, 9:40pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from smokey111

It's just you.
Posted by: smokey111, May 15, 2021, 10:47pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from mariner91

It's just you.

Haha, seems that way.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 15, 2021, 10:51pm; Reply: 17
Rubbish attendance. We took more than Chelsea or Leicester when we were non league.
Posted by: supertown, May 16, 2021, 12:21am; Reply: 18
Quoted from smokey111

Yeah it’s you
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, May 16, 2021, 12:43am; Reply: 19
First time I've watched any of the Cup Final for years. Spurred on by that "anyone but the franchise six" feeling I watched the second half. Incredibly, since Wimbledon won it, there have been only 3 non franchise six winners up to today.

I was anti-Leicester for a few years - they signed Danny Coyne after having gone into administration, wiping off £30 million debt including the stadium - no point deductions in those days. Be churlish to still hold that against them after all this time- they've stuck two fingers up to the franchise six - fair play to them.
Posted by: Rick12, May 16, 2021, 6:36am; Reply: 20
Quoted from carrot top
Great to see supporters in the stadium with emotion flowing.
Yes it was great to see.Just hope this Indian variant of the Covid virus doesnt slow things down to much on the path to  normality. Fed up now of this pandemic.
Posted by: aldi_01, May 16, 2021, 6:54am; Reply: 21
I though the celebration for the goal was the best bit...the silly rules regarding masks/social distancing and the likes went out the window and rightfully so...limbs galore. Proper celebration...

I didn’t think it was too bad for a game, seen worse, always good when someone different wins it. Chelsea will be gutted but when Tuchel out thinks Pep in a fortnight I’m sure losing the cup final won’t be so bad...
Posted by: Rick12, May 16, 2021, 6:58am; Reply: 22
Quoted from aldi_01
Chelsea will be gutted but when Tuchel out thinks Pep in a fortnight I’m sure losing the cup final won’t be so bad...
Cannot wait for that game. I still fancy Manchester City to do it though. Its nice to see English talent coming through though at Chelsea and Man City. For me England's best player is probably between Mason Mount and Raheem Sterling with Sterling possibly edging it ?.
Posted by: aldi_01, May 16, 2021, 7:03am; Reply: 23
Quoted from Rick12
Cannot wait for that game. I still fancy Manchester City to do it though. Its nice to see English talent coming through though at Chelsea and Man City. For me England's best player is probably between Mason Mount and Raheem Sterling with Sterling possibly edging it ?.

It’s interesting isn’t it? Whilst those two clubs have undoubtedly spent millions and had the success, arguably Chelsea with more success than City, their best players this year are from their own youth systems...

I appreciate Sterling is an exceptional player and was brought in for crazy cash, but when you look at Foden and Mount it’s hard not to get excited...the talent they both have is beyond logic...
Posted by: Rick12, May 16, 2021, 7:19am; Reply: 24
Quoted from aldi_01

I appreciate Sterling is an exceptional player and was brought in for crazy cash, but when you look at Foden and Mount it’s hard not to get excited...the talent they both have is beyond logic...
On Phil Foden I remember Guardiola saying that he is the most talented young player he has worked with. What I love about Sterling though is his ability and directness when taking players on. Likewise comes across as a nice person which helps.

Posted by: Abdul19, May 16, 2021, 7:43am; Reply: 25
The owner having to be dragged onto the pitch by Schmeichel and then clearly being loved by all the squad reminded me of 2016  ;)
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 16, 2021, 8:28am; Reply: 26
It's just another game now though, played on the same day as league games.

Call me nostalgic but it used to be the game everyone looked forward too AFTER the season had finished.

It was an all-day thing on the TV too, with Cup Final Question of Sport, reporters at the team hotels, the bus ride to the stadium, interviews with famous fans etc etc.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 16, 2021, 8:58am; Reply: 27
Fact* of the day: it always used to be the same day as league games, it was only when it started to be shown on tv that chairmen asked for it to be put back to the end of the season, so it didn't effect their crowds.

*think I read that once
Posted by: moosey_club, May 16, 2021, 10:00am; Reply: 28
I am sure I saw a sad looking John Terry scuttle off in full kit in one crowd scene..
Posted by: forza ivano, May 16, 2021, 10:25am; Reply: 29
Quoted from aldi_01

It’s interesting isn’t it? Whilst those two clubs have undoubtedly spent millions and had the success, arguably Chelsea with more success than City, their best players this year are from their own youth systems...

you haven't mentioned the most talented of them all - Jordan Sancho. Good article in the Times yesterday.
Fact of the day (2) in the past 3 seasons only Messi Lewandowski, Ronaldo, Immobile, Benzema & Salah have been involved in more goals. on assists alone only Muller and Messi better him.
16 goals and 18 assists in 36 games is pretty good going by anyone's standards

ps was good to see Leicester win for all the reasons previously mentioned, but there were also some really good stories in there.
Vardy became the first player ever (in 150 years of competition) to have played in every round of the competition, from Extra preliminary round to the final
what a send off for Wes morgan, if it is to be his last game for them
Scmeichel 10 years. Morgan 9 years, Vardy 9 years, Albrighton 7 years - you don't usually get that length of service with 1 club
a 19 year old who has come all the way through the ranks
Fofana - who had his own thread on here a few days ago
Posted by: Rick12, May 16, 2021, 11:12am; Reply: 30
Quoted from Les Brechin

Call me nostalgic but it used to be the game everyone looked forward too AFTER the season had finished.

It was an all-day thing on the TV too, with Cup Final Question of Sport, reporters at the team hotels, the bus ride to the stadium, interviews with famous fans etc etc.
I think the champions league has had a lot to do with this though. More money which clubs prioritize. For the elite clubs around Europe  its now league, champions league then their domestic cup competitions.

Posted by: pen penfras, May 16, 2021, 11:18am; Reply: 31
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
First time I've watched any of the Cup Final for years. Spurred on by that "anyone but the franchise six" feeling I watched the second half. Incredibly, since Wimbledon won it, there have been only 3 non big six winners up to today.

I was anti-Leicester for a few years - they signed Danny Coyne after having gone into administration, wiping off £30 million debt including the stadium - no point deductions in those days. Be churlish to still hold that against them after all this time- they've stuck two fingers up to the franchise six - fair play to them.

Tottenham aren't part of the big 6. Nobody except Tottenham think that they are. They're a mid table side that's had a few years near the top and got carried away with themselves. Leicester have far more right to count themselves in the big 6, because they've actually won something worthwhile in the last 30 years.
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, May 16, 2021, 11:24am; Reply: 32
Quoted from pen penfras

Tottenham aren't part of the big 6. Nobody except Tottenham think that they are. They're a mid table side that's had a few years near the top and got carried away with themselves. Leicester have far more right to count themselves in the big 6, because they've actually won something worthwhile in the last 30 years.

Agree. Leicester have won more in the last 5 years than Tottenham in the last 30.  Don't think spurs won league since the 60s?

Posted by: Perkins, May 16, 2021, 12:07pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Abdul19
The owner having to be dragged onto the pitch by Schmeichel and then clearly being loved by all the squad reminded me of 2016  ;)

Yes, probably the most cringeworthy moment in our ex non chairmans history when he came bounding up the pitch to gatecrash the TV interview with Omar.

Posted by: Davec, May 16, 2021, 12:33pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Perkins

Yes, probably the most cringeworthy moment in our ex non chairmans history when he came bounding up the pitch to gatecrash the TV interview with Omar.

He's quite well known for gatecrashing TV interviews, remember when Slade was being interviewed live on TV after the spurs game and he poured orange juice all over him "don't forget the orange"
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 16, 2021, 12:40pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Abdul19

Why, did Leicester’s owner get the tune wrong?
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, May 16, 2021, 1:18pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from pen penfras

Agreed, I meant the franchise six.

Posted by: DB, May 16, 2021, 1:34pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Les Brechin

I absolutely agree with you Les. Cup Final day was the last game of the season and regardless of the teams' supporters most of the nation watched it, a special day in the football calendar. It was a national tradition up there with the boat race, grand national, etc. The FA sold out for money and couldn't give a dam about fans.

As time goes on things change for the better, so we are told. Nostalgia is good for us old ones and I feel very sorry for those younger than us, that will never experience the euphoria of Cup Final day, 3.00 pm on a Saturday

Posted by: Madeleymariner, May 16, 2021, 6:24pm; Reply: 38
I remember the days of spending nearly all day watching the build up Q of S, Its a Knockout etc. I think the reason this slowly declined is the amount of live tv football, In the 70s and early 80s you didn't get live footy apart from internationals/european and cup finals. So if  you were a footy fan it was special watching a live domestic game. The fact other games are played on the same day is tragic though, and then the big (And even not so big) teams sometimes put out a reserve side (though many are still full internationals) in earlier rounds just adds to the loss of it being special anymore.(wheelchair)
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 16, 2021, 6:33pm; Reply: 39

In other news Liverpool goalkeeper Alisson goes up for a corner in the last minute of their game against West Brom and scores with a sublime header to keep Liverpool's Champions League hopes alive.

FT...West Brom 1-2 Liverpool.
Posted by: MrThirsty, May 17, 2021, 1:53pm; Reply: 40
Was pleased to see Leicester win as both my parents were from there and I have cousins who are supporters. I always remind them their first league game was against Grimsby Town and we beat them 4-3. Also, Leicester have spent all bar one season in the two top divisions and the manager responsible for their relegation to the third tier was a certain Ian Hollowhead.
Posted by: mike_d, May 17, 2021, 5:48pm; Reply: 41
I used to love the spine tingling feeling of hearing the crowd, not some autotuned diva sing Abide with Me. Always got me.
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 3:47pm