Apologies if already posted. Honest Interview
Posted by: Hagrid, May 14, 2021, 11:47am; Reply: 1
holloway you illegitimate
Posted by: livosnose, May 14, 2021, 11:58am; Reply: 2
Who was the trialist ?
Posted by: Bignic69, May 14, 2021, 12:02pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from livosnose
Who was the trialist ?

thin he was just generalising about preseason wasn't he? Saying there were players on trial who hadn't kicked a ball for years.
Posted by: friskneymariner, May 14, 2021, 12:04pm; Reply: 4
Who is the player he is referring to who had not played for 4years?
Posted by: cjbill, May 14, 2021, 12:23pm; Reply: 5
I'd forgotten all about those in house trial games that were arranged!

I remember Ryan Loft played in one before signing for Scunny and IH more or less said "we didn't want him anyway!"
Posted by: ska face, May 14, 2021, 12:37pm; Reply: 6
Then you had Greg Halford who turned us down for Southend then scored their 3rd against us about 2 days later to kill the game.

Holloway claimed he didn’t want Halford after he refused to do his ‘fitness run’, Halford said he was talking shíte. Think I know who I believe, and it’s not that straw chewing tosspiece.
Posted by: cardiffmariner, May 14, 2021, 1:57pm; Reply: 7
Take the football out of it for a moment and I think it’s worth saying what a genuinely top bloke McKeown is - someone who genuinely gets the club, the town and the fans. That level of honesty is all too rare and I get the sense he’s hopeful that cutting corners might be a thing of the past at Town.
Posted by: acko338, May 14, 2021, 3:02pm; Reply: 8
11+ minutes of genuine hurt, knowing that things could and should have been different.

The interview should be played to every player who wants to sign for next season.

Make his testimonial season one to remember for the right reasons.

Give him back his pride, because he was struggling to express just how much relegation is meaning to him.

Some home truths being told at last.

He also made it obvious that changing formations every week does not work and gave examples of promoted teams in this division having set ways, sticking to them and succeeding !
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, May 14, 2021, 3:18pm; Reply: 9
In a decade at the club I think Macca has shown again and again what a genuine honest bloke he is.

That is why he will always be a popular figure around the town. His performances at times werent to his best but he is honest enough to acknowledge that. You could never accuse him of not always giving his all for the club.
Posted by: RichMariner, May 14, 2021, 4:16pm; Reply: 10
Curious how no one mentions the previous manager by name in any interview, despite it being very clear who they're talking about.

Ian Holloway wasn't here for the football. He believed (and still believes) in his own hype, and we were guilty of that too, until the picture became very clear. Listening to the people who play the game, and the fans who have watched his teams over recent seasons, Holloway isn't some sort of tactical genius.

He's an idiot — and a dangerous one at that. An idiot capable of ruining careers.
Posted by: Azimuth, May 14, 2021, 5:30pm; Reply: 11
Good interview, very open and honest about himself and the club.
Lets see another one for comparison in 12 months from now!
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, May 14, 2021, 5:39pm; Reply: 12
Every time he's in front of the camera you want to listen to him. He has another great talent there - he will do well after he has finished playing...
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 14, 2021, 6:02pm; Reply: 13
I once, from the pontoon, shouted "I love you James" to which he turned round and gave me a knowing grin....now I know why I love him, he's got our club at heart and cut the bloke in half he'd be black n white like a stick of mint Cleethorpes rock!
Posted by: aldi_01, May 14, 2021, 6:47pm; Reply: 14
Whatever anyone’s criticism of Macca its impossible to argue that he doesn’t care.

This club means something to him. He’s had the balderdash to admit he’s made mistakes and that players take responsibility. It’s flipping terrifying just what sort of mess the club was in though.

Ian Holloway shouldn’t be near a football club ever again.

Interesting he name checks the buzz OP created, ya know, that thing that wasn’t important or didn’t impact anything...
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 14, 2021, 6:51pm; Reply: 15
A leader’s interview.
Posted by: Vance Warner, May 14, 2021, 10:06pm; Reply: 16
Interesting that Dave Moore wasn’t convinced by the bullsh1t artist in charge. He must have seen some unbelievable things over the last ten years.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, May 15, 2021, 7:58am; Reply: 17
Quoted from Vance Warner
Interesting that Dave Moore wasn’t convinced by the bullsh1t artist in charge. He must have seen some unbelievable things over the last ten years.

Imagine the side eye coming in from Dave Moore. It would have sliced through Holloway every time.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, May 15, 2021, 11:13am; Reply: 18
What a brilliant bloke, nothing new there. We knew that anyway. He really should be looking to get away to a club that plays in a proper league. I think he would have suitors in league one and at 31 he is in his prime. He needs to make as much money as possible for the next 3/4 years. Our club has let him down by cutting corners, Holloway let him down by asking him to play like an outfield player and play from the back when it doesn't suit him. Anyway, I think he's going to stay and I've no doubt he will be the best keeper at that God awful level.

Only thing I disagree with him is the FA Trophy, I remember the players were all for it last time when the fans couldn't care less. In fact, it was a distraction as the NL moved games and the replays caused a fixture pile up. I was personally embarassed to be in the two FA Trophy finals, we lost both and I couldn't care less in all honesty. We should be a hundred percent focussed on winning that division. Returning to the FL is absolutely everything.
Posted by: sutton mariner, May 15, 2021, 11:17am; Reply: 19
He’s our modern day cult hero.
Posted by: Garth, May 15, 2021, 11:35am; Reply: 20
Quoted from sutton mariner
He’s our modern day cult hero.

You need to get out more
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 15, 2021, 12:18pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

Imagine the side eye coming in from Dave Moore. It would have sliced through Holloway every time.

Why didn’t he speak up then ? Or if did someone correct me
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, May 15, 2021, 12:50pm; Reply: 22
How many times has Dave Moore ended up as caretaker manager? Must be a record!
Posted by: Garth, May 15, 2021, 12:53pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Why didn’t he speak up then ? Or if did someone correct me

Because if he had he would have been.sacked by the Mafia that existed then, remember the out spoken Aussie second in command
Posted by: moosey_club, May 15, 2021, 1:17pm; Reply: 24
One thing that did occur to me was how his form and mindset could have been effected by being the captain at the time the club were putting the salary reductions in place and how much was on his shoulders leading the negotiation on behalf of the group.
He briefly mentioned it there but with a group of 30 - 40 players there would be alot of different opinions and and no doubt some strong objections...alot to contend with when we can all imagine the clubs approach to it.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 15, 2021, 1:57pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Garth

Because if he had he would have been.sacked by the Mafia that existed then, remember the out spoken Aussie second in command

Sometimes being outspoken especially if you are telling the truth is the right thing to do isn’t it ?
Posted by: jonnyboy82, May 15, 2021, 2:06pm; Reply: 26
Heard the same interview at the end of a season for about the past 7 years.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 15, 2021, 4:47pm; Reply: 27

Sometimes being outspoken especially if you are telling the truth is the right thing to do isn’t it ?

Brave though if the culture is wrong.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 15, 2021, 4:47pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Heard the same interview at the end of a season for about the past 7 years.

What even when we got promoted?!
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 15, 2021, 4:54pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Brave though if the culture is wrong.

Very brave but still the right thing to do surely ?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 15, 2021, 5:04pm; Reply: 30

Very brave but still the right thing to do surely ?

It’s the right thing, but when his family’s livelihood is at stake I wouldn’t blame anyone for not calling it out.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 15, 2021, 5:19pm; Reply: 31
Off the pitch Macca’s a decent bloke who’s probably as close to the old style player living in the community as you’d get these days. He gets what this club means to us all and respects that.

On the pitch despite dips in form over the years he’s worked hard and improved his game and is good enough to be 1st choice to help take us back up.
Posted by: aldi_01, May 16, 2021, 7:09am; Reply: 32
Macca is one of those players that could be instrumental in creating that bond we saw last time Hurst was here. Couple that with a shared vision by the new owners and it could be a great success.

He no doubt believes he first choice but equally I’d imagine, deep down he knows Hurst may well being in another Eastwood type, this only enhances the side.

From the video I get the distinct impression that whilst he wanted to be captain he was placed in a very tricky position that was probably very alien to him and he couldn’t necessarily deal with it or grasp what to do. I understand why he didn’t go to the owner/manager and out his head above the parapet because in truth, like many, he was probably worried about the long term effects financially so the deals presented were better than nothing I guess.

He’s clever not to name names but we all know who he means but when you listen it sounds like we were operating like a Sunday league team with an over excited idiot as manager and a tight-fisted backwards looking despot as owner.

Some of the lads who’d been at town for a while must have just been looking around in bewilderment...

What the video does show is a man who does care, who is connected and does want to succeed, not just for him but for everyone...
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, May 16, 2021, 9:20am; Reply: 33
That’s how you own your own excrement and understand what needs to be different.
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 6:41am