Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Grimsby2012, May 12, 2021, 12:53pm
Well... Firstly I want to state that this post isn't directed towards wether or not Hurst is the right man for the job, but more towards a consensus of peoples opinions on him taking us forward.

I was one of the fans who was sad to see hurst leave as I was always
Under the impression that he was the right man for the job, and had doubts whether anyone could do any better than him.

However, he is now back and wonder what peoples thoughts are on this as some of you will no doubt be glad he left the first time round.

Posted by: Garth, May 12, 2021, 1:08pm; Reply: 1
?????????
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 12, 2021, 2:11pm; Reply: 2
If Carlsberg did 'irrelevant threads'............
Posted by: Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, May 12, 2021, 2:15pm; Reply: 3
While we’re at it, what are anyone’s thoughts on the break-up of The Beatles, and does anyone have a view on the phasing out of the 2p coin?
Posted by: Chrisblor, May 12, 2021, 2:18pm; Reply: 4
Good, I like him.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 12, 2021, 2:39pm; Reply: 5
He is a credit to the regenerative powers of Yorkshire Tea.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, May 12, 2021, 2:57pm; Reply: 6
While we’re at it, what are anyone’s thoughts on the break-up of The Beatles, and does anyone have a view on the phasing out of the 2p coin?

It was either the Stones or the Beatles as most found it impossible to warm to both.
Stones for me so the Beatles break up irrelevant.
Didn't prices jump when they phased out the 2p?
Crafty buggers.
Maybe we should ask Hurst's opinion.
Posted by: marinerdazza, May 12, 2021, 3:02pm; Reply: 7
The Beatles were a spent force. They could never have continued into the 70s given they wouldn’t play live and people’s appetites had turned to stadium rock.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, May 12, 2021, 3:29pm; Reply: 8

Probably not phase the 2p out but reduce its size to between the 5p and 1p.

The........Beatles........have.........broken.......up?!

You could have broken it me differently. Next you'll be telling me that Spike Jones and his City Slickers are no more too
Posted by: Grimsby2012, May 12, 2021, 3:30pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from MuddyWaters
If Carlsberg did 'irrelevant threads'............

Sorry. I'm on the autism spectrum and thought my question was legitimate. Just wondered what opinions people had on hurst. That's all

Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 12, 2021, 3:34pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Grimsby2012

Sorry. I'm on the autism spectrum and thought my question was legitimate. Just wondered what opinions people had on hurst. That's all

Is this your first visit to the Fishy?
Posted by: Mayaman, May 12, 2021, 3:36pm; Reply: 11
Give the man a break.  
Posted by: lee65, May 12, 2021, 3:57pm; Reply: 12
Well, as a straight answer;

I think he's as good as we can realistically get, seems to be a bit more at ease with himself than previously, so I think he will do well  :)
We do need to hit the ground running from the 1st game though or the current optimism may vanish quickly
Posted by: Hagrid, May 12, 2021, 4:08pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Grimsby2012

I Like him, i like his attitude work ethic, and never wanted him to leave
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, May 12, 2021, 4:09pm; Reply: 14
If you live in Stamford The Beatles are still going strong and have just released a Hard Day's Night.....
Posted by: acko338, May 12, 2021, 4:21pm; Reply: 15
I think that Hurst will get a good crack of the whip this time, with 2 directors who know that playing success on the field breeds commercial money over the counter, season ticket sales, more fans returning to Blundell Park after absences, higher food, drinks and shop sales, more corporate input , sponsors, advertising around the ground - everything that has stalled.

Good results could aim to get gates back somewhere around the 5,000 mark, which would re-establish the ginancial backing that the team will need next season.

Loanees, where needed, are more likely to come to a promotion chasing team with a solid back room and facilities.

Do we still have contacts in Burnley, Sunderland or similar teams, to offer good places to their young players, knowing that they will be well looked after and have every chance to improve and flourish here ?
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, May 12, 2021, 4:22pm; Reply: 16
Rated a lot higher than this post
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 12, 2021, 4:53pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Grimsby2012

Please accept my apologies - it's just that there have been several Hurst threads and I'd say he certainly divides opinion but it's about 2:1 in favour.
Posted by: acko338, May 12, 2021, 4:59pm; Reply: 18
[tr]
[/tr][quote=3172]I think that Hurst will get a good crack of the whip this time, with 2 directors who know that playing success on the field breeds commercial money over the counter, season ticket sales, more fans returning to Blundell Park after absences, higher food, drinks and shop sales, more corporate input , sponsors, advertising around the ground - everything that has stalled.

Sorry - with the above in mind - is the business sponsored Century Club still running for the Youth Development?

Posted by: Grimsby2012, May 12, 2021, 6:26pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Please accept my apologies - it's just that there have been several Hurst threads and I'd say he certainly divides opinion but it's about 2:1 in favour.

That's no problem.

I must have missed the threads as I'm not on here as much as I use to be.

I'll take a look at the other threads now.

Cheers
Posted by: DB, May 12, 2021, 6:51pm; Reply: 20
At the end of the day (no pun intended) Hurst is the man who Jason and Andrew have put millions of pounds of trust in. They have spoken to him in detail about his thought wishes and desires for the club, whereas we haven't.

To me, if Hurst is good enough for them, he's more than good enough for me.
Posted by: rancido, May 12, 2021, 10:29pm; Reply: 21

Probably not phase the 2p out but reduce its size to between the 5p and 1p.

The........Beatles........have.........broken.......up?!

You could have broken it me differently. Next you'll be telling me that Spike Jones and his City Slickers are no more too

I actually have a Spike Jones and The City Slickers cd!!
Posted by: ginnywings, May 12, 2021, 11:37pm; Reply: 22
Since Hurst left in 2016, we've been a shambles on the pitch, so there's that...
Posted by: mariner83, May 13, 2021, 7:01am; Reply: 23
I was disappointed when he left first time round.   Very happy to have him back - for me it was also a positive sign that the takeover was actually going ahead, as I can't imagine PH would've been happy to work for Fenty long term.

I know it's all ifs buts and maybes, but I think if he'd had a few extra games this season we'd have avoided the drop.  It's a shame it took us so long to improve initially.

One thing that impressed me first time round was how he wouldn't tolerate people who weren't bothered, we might not have always had the most talented of players but for the most part they played their hearts out for GTFC.  It felt very much like there was a great team spirit.  

Really hope he's the right man for the job, but as we know NL is a difficult league to get out of.
Posted by: Rick12, May 14, 2021, 10:52am; Reply: 24
Quoted from Hagrid

I Like him, i like his attitude work ethic, and never wanted him to leave
Hurst is ok but the ones I like are those behind the scenes  Dave Moore and Neil Woods. Lovely people who are credit to Grimsby Town football club.

Posted by: barrattstandman, May 14, 2021, 11:08am; Reply: 25
Quoted from Grimsby2012
Well... Firstly I want to state that this post isn't directed towards wether or not Hurst is the right man for the job, but more towards a consensus of peoples opinions on him taking us forward.

I was one of the fans who was sad to see hurst leave as I was always
Under the impression that he was the right man for the job, and had doubts whether anyone could do any better than him.

However, he is now back and wonder what peoples thoughts are on this as some of you will no doubt be glad he left the first time round.

Those who criticise Hurst are indirectly criticising our new owners for they appointed him . The same way that Fenty got stick for his appointments .
Posted by: Humbercod, May 14, 2021, 11:23am; Reply: 26
Wasn’t over the moon over his appointment as I thought his negative approach would be detrimental to a team struggling near the bottom of the table. However I hoped that I would be proved wrong and that he’d achieve his main objective in keeping us in the league. Not only has he failed he’s also failed to accept any responsibility! unless I’ve missed it?

I can see why the majority on here would want to keep him for next season and I will support this view going forward, he knows the league and what kind of players will be needed, but at the same time considering a full pre-season and a top end budget he shouldn’t get another free pass. Playoffs are the absolute minimum.
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 14, 2021, 11:32am; Reply: 27
Never sure about him last time but had to admit he got us up with a very good team . It was not his fault we lost the majority of the team when we got back into the league.

This time I expect he will get us back within 2 years because he will have a board backing him all the way.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 14, 2021, 11:57am; Reply: 28
Quoted from grimsby pete
Never sure about him last time but had to admit he got us up with a very good team . It was not his fault we lost the majority of the team when we got back into the league.

This time I expect he will get us back within 2 years because he will have a board backing him all the way.

Nice to see you posting again Pete - hope you're feeling better!
Posted by: fishcake63, May 14, 2021, 12:57pm; Reply: 29
Still think he's got away lightly after playing a massive part in our relegation , took very little responsibility as well forever harping on about holloways players when his haven't been a total success , lamy payne adams habergham bunney etc , but i'm willing to give him 20 games upto xmas if not in amongst then it's a cheereriiiiooo
Posted by: mariner83, May 14, 2021, 1:14pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from fishcake63
Still think he's got away lightly after playing a massive part in our relegation , took very little responsibility as well forever harping on about holloways players when his haven't been a total success , lamy payne adams habergham bunney etc , but i'm willing to give him 20 games upto xmas if not in amongst then it's a cheereriiiiooo

I think it's unfair to include Bunney in that list, who quite possibly has a debilitating chronic illness.

The others fair game, but then I can't imagine we were the most attractive opportunity for many :-/
Posted by: meddaboy, May 14, 2021, 1:20pm; Reply: 31
my cousin starved herself to death when the beatles split up
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, May 14, 2021, 1:22pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from fishcake63

Really?  Who would you have expected him to bring in?
You forgot to mention Matete or Eastwood or Coke or John-Lewis or Menayese, who were all successful. My 5 vs your 5 = a 50 per cent success rate.

Compare to Holloway's signings; how many were successful; about 1 in 10 or 1 in 20?!?!

Posted by: meddaboy, May 14, 2021, 1:28pm; Reply: 33
my sunday team used to play with a false  9 , 10 and 11 , long before it was fashionable ,we had a lad with a false address  and age  to boot .
Posted by: acko338, May 14, 2021, 3:18pm; Reply: 34
Someone on here, a family member, used to play at short notice for any team going  - think he got found out when the real players got league fines for bookings he got.

Oh  and refs saying '"that wasn't your name last week !!"
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 12:32am