Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Nutsy, May 8, 2021, 8:17am
I’d love for us to get Eastwood back
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 8, 2021, 8:40am; Reply: 1

More chance of getting Clint now we've dropped into the National League I'm afraid.
Posted by: Mallyner, May 8, 2021, 8:55am; Reply: 2
[quote=2226]
More chance of getting Clint now we've dropped into the National League I'm afraid.[/quote)

We have surely had enough cowboys.  ;)
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 8, 2021, 9:04am; Reply: 3
Quoted from promotion plaice

More chance of getting Clint now we've dropped into the National League I'm afraid.

Maybe .. but didn’t we get a Man Utd and England goalkeeper here not that long ago ok still in the FL and anyway he trains with the blades all week and plays a competitive game on a weekend surely got to be good for him
Posted by: ginnywings, May 8, 2021, 9:10am; Reply: 4
Don't think many of the current squad will be offered new deals, and those that are may be inclined to look elsewhere.

Another season, another rebuild. Would be nice to get a good group together that form the core of a regular squad with an identity. Hurst is the last manager to do that and I'm quite confident he will do it again, especially since he seems more than pleased with the budget he's been given, which he said was a starting point and not the maximum he will be able to spend.

So, let the rumour mill begin and let's see who we end up with over the coming weeks and months. We'll know who is to be released by Tuesday.
Posted by: the driver, May 8, 2021, 9:33am; Reply: 5
Quoted from Mallyner
[quote=2226]
More chance of getting Clint now we've dropped into the National League I'm afraid.[/quote)

We have surely had enough cowboys.  ;)

What about Dirty Harry
Posted by: buckstown, May 8, 2021, 9:54am; Reply: 6
In his post match interview Khouri said he was discussing options with his family so hadn't signed yet. Would imagine anyone decent will be looking for league teams so as Ginny said I'm expecting a massive turnover and thats going to make the start of next season even tougher
Posted by: Stew0_0, May 8, 2021, 10:00am; Reply: 7
Keep....
Macca, Russell, Hendrie, Pollock, Hewitt, Clifton, Coke, Shop, Jackson jnr, Wright, Khouri, Boyd, Adlard, Grist.  Still on the fence with Williams.

Try to sign......
Menayese, Matete (slim chance).

Sadly the rest not up to it or in the case of Hanson have too much of an injury history to carry on the wage bill
Posted by: RonMariner, May 8, 2021, 10:01am; Reply: 8
Hewitt would definitely  be on my list to keep.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, May 8, 2021, 10:09am; Reply: 9
I think some people are over estimating how many players Hurst will keep.

I'd say 6 or 7 max of the current squad will be retained.

The budget is going up. We can afford to shop at Waitrose instead of Netto this summer.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 8, 2021, 10:29am; Reply: 10
Quoted from GollyGTFC

The budget is going up. We can afford to shop at Waitrose instead of Netto this summer.

I hope your right golly about 6/7 but in that 6/7 I can see some going anyway, we really need a stronger squad to compete
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 8, 2021, 10:33am; Reply: 11
I would imagine the likes of Hewitt, Pollock,  Menayesse and Hendrie would have had their agents putting them in front of EFL clubs for a while. I’d not expect to see them in a Town shirt again but I would imagine we’ll offer them terms just in case.

I would like to see Clifton and Coke offered deals but anyone else out of contract other than the ones mentioned above can go.

I’d also try and off load Willians, Scannell and Rose, but I doubt they’ll be any takers.

What I’d be certain about is that Hurst will have known who he wants to bring in for a bit, let’s hope he can secure the majority of his targets.
Posted by: RonMariner, May 8, 2021, 10:50am; Reply: 12
I would not be surprised if he brought in a couple of the Shrewsbury team that got to the L1 play offs. That is the caliber we need. Seasoned pro's with L1 experience.
Posted by: coddy60, May 8, 2021, 10:52am; Reply: 13
Quoted from RonMariner
I would not be surprised if he brought in a couple of the Shrewsbury team that got to the L1 play offs. That is the caliber we need. Seasoned pro's with L1 experience.

Like Payne 🤔😳
Posted by: RonMariner, May 8, 2021, 10:56am; Reply: 14
Quoted from coddy60

Like Payne 🤔😳

Hopefully not!  ;)
Posted by: forza ivano, May 8, 2021, 11:02am; Reply: 15
have you listened to the pre match interview?
very, very telling little snippet when PH said that he wants to change players perceptions of the football club as a whole, so they are more open to and excited to join us

which means that before (presumably due to Fenty and his/our reputation) they had bad perceptions of the club, they weren't very willing to join and weren't excited about doing so

Posted by: RonMariner, May 8, 2021, 11:08am; Reply: 16
Quoted from forza ivano
have you listened to the pre match interview?
very, very telling little snippet when PH said that he wants to change players perceptions of the football club as a whole, so they are more open to and excited to join us

which means that before (presumably due to Fenty and his/our reputation) they had bad perceptions of the club, they weren't very willing to join and weren't excited about doing so

Yes, I am sure the horror stories about how players have been treated have got round. The new owners can start with a clean slate. I am sure we will see far better players arriving this summer despite our NL status.  
Posted by: AndyGTFC, May 8, 2021, 11:10am; Reply: 17
McKeown, Hendrie, Hewitt, Pollock, Habergham, Coke, Clifton, Wright, Khouri, John-Lewis

Would obviously keep Menayese and Matete that's not likely so those would be something to build on.
Posted by: RonMariner, May 8, 2021, 11:12am; Reply: 18
Quoted from AndyGTFC
McKeown, Hendrie, Hewitt, Pollock, Habergham, Coke, Clifton, Wright, Khouri, John-Lewis

Would obviously keep Menayese and Matete that's not likely so those 9 would be something to build on.

Maybe Spokes and Jackson Jnr could be retained to see if we can develop them with the right coaching?
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 8, 2021, 11:15am; Reply: 19
Quoted from RonMariner

Yes, I am sure the horror stories about how players have been treated have got round. The new owners can start with a clean slate. I am sure we will see far better players arriving this summer despite our NL status.  

I wonder who will be in charge of players’ contracts? It seemed like Fenty decided that but the impression I have now from the new owners is that Hurst will handle all aspects of transfers.

Posted by: GollyGTFC, May 8, 2021, 11:37am; Reply: 20
I think we'll look to keep.

McKeown
Battersby (and loan out for season)
Hewitt
Clifton
Spokes
Wright
John-Lewis
Jackson jr.

Contracts have been offered to the following 2nd year YTs...

Goundry
Khouri
Adlard

The following contracted players should be offloaded...

Waterfall
Rose
Williams
Scannell
Gibson

Pollock - if we have an option for another year we should take it and look to flog him with a good sell-on clause.

The rest can leave. Maybe harsh on the Hendrie, Habergham & Coke, but we need to be attracting much better quality players.
Posted by: bax, May 8, 2021, 11:38am; Reply: 21

I wonder who will be in charge of players’ contracts? It seemed like Fenty decided that but the impression I have now from the new owners is that Hurst will handle all aspects of transfers.

Isn't that why the new owners have brought in Mark Palmer?
Posted by: forza ivano, May 8, 2021, 11:50am; Reply: 22
Quoted from bax

Isn't that why the new owners have brought in Mark Palmer?

that was a question that never got asked on the podcast Bax.
they certainly have only mentioned in Palmer in relation to footballing matters & 'helping Paul'. i took it that he was doing a root and branch review/audit of everything on the playing side, but i'd be intrigued to know the answer
Posted by: Hagrid, May 8, 2021, 11:51am; Reply: 23
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I think we'll look to keep.

McKeown
Battersby (and loan out for season)
Hewitt
Clifton
Spokes
Wright
John-Lewis
Jackson jr.

Contracts have been offered to the following 2nd year YTs...

Goundry
Khouri
Adlard

The following contracted players should be offloaded...

Waterfall
Rose
Williams
Scannell
Gibson

Pollock - if we have an option for another year we should take it and look to flog him with a good sell-on clause.

The rest can leave. Maybe harsh on the Hendrie, Habergham & Coke, but we need to be attracting much better quality players.

Agree with all that

But i would certainly be offering Coke something
Posted by: ginnywings, May 8, 2021, 12:55pm; Reply: 24
Someone told me that Hendrie is definitely going as he doesn't like PH.

Could  be true, could be bullsh1t, but it's that time of year folks, when rumours start doing the rounds.

To be perfectly honest, there is not any one player in that squad who I would be overly bothered about losing. A few are definitely worth a contract, but if they don't want to be here, or think they can "better" themselves, then cheerio!

Like Golly, I think there may be only 5 or 6 that escape the cull. Fewer if some of them decide they don't want to be in non league.

Posted by: moosey_club, May 8, 2021, 1:00pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from GollyGTFC

[quote]The budget is going up. We can afford to shop at Waitrose instead of Netto this summer.

I would be wary of that statement, the budget is bound to go up based on the half priced covid clause approach the club financed last season.
The owners have said the budget will be at the upper end of the division, that's all.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, May 8, 2021, 1:04pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from moosey_club
[/b]

I would be wary of that statement, the budget is bound to go up based on the half priced covid clause approach the club financed last season.
The owners have said the budget will be at the upper end of the division, that's all.

No, they definitely (100%) said that next season's budget in the NL will be higher than this season's budget.
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 8, 2021, 1:04pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from ginnywings

Could  be true, could be bullsh1t, but it's that time of year folks, when rumours start doing the rounds.

To be perfectly honest, there is not any one player in that squad who I would be overly bothered about losing. A few are definitely worth a contract, but if they don't want to be here, or think they can "better" themselves, then cheerio!

Like Golly, I think there may be only 5 or 6 that escape the cull. Fewer if some of them decide they don't want to be in non league.

I agree with the highlighted bit. Other than McKeown, who'd I be disappointed to see leave given he'll probably be the best keeper in that league again next season, I won't be losing any sleep over any of them. We have no chance of keeping Matete for example. Obviously I'd like to keep Harry, Coke, Menayese and Hewitt but none of them are by any means irreplacable.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, May 8, 2021, 1:05pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from ginnywings

Re: Hendrie

Not looked the same player has he? Worth remembering his best friend was killed in January last year. Hardly surprising he's struggle for consistency. He's only human.
Posted by: Hagrid, May 8, 2021, 1:12pm; Reply: 29
Somehow we have to Get rid of Rose, Williams, Scannell, Gibson
How much it’ll cost i dont know but they are a complete waste

If Pollock goes i wouldnt he adverse to Keeping Waterfall
Posted by: Davec, May 8, 2021, 1:16pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Re: Hendrie

Not looked the same player has he? Worth remembering his best friend was killed in January last year. Hardly surprising he's struggle for consistency. He's only human.

Jordan Sinnott wasn't it, who played against us a few times for Altrincham and Chesterfield.

I remember the tribute to him Luke and Billy Clarke did when they scored against I can't remember who it was now, it was a night game at home i know that
Posted by: marinerjase, May 8, 2021, 1:17pm; Reply: 31
I think McKeown, Clifton, Hewitt, Coke, Wright, LJL, Spokes will be here - some 1st choice, some squad players. I think we’ll try to get Menayese. Wouldn’t be averse to a complete rebuild myself, barring one or two.

Thinking about potential targets - bit of a random shout - ex player, doing well at present club, scoring from midfield..Luke Summerfield. (No substance to that one -,just a hunch )
Posted by: Davec, May 8, 2021, 1:20pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from marinerjase
I think McKeown, Clifton, Hewitt, Coke, Wright, LJL, Spokes will be here - some 1st choice, some squad players. I think we’ll try to get Menayese. Wouldn’t be averse to a complete rebuild myself, barring one or two.

Thinking about potential targets - bit of a random shout - ex player, doing well at present club, scoring from midfield..Luke Summerfield. (No substance to that one -,just a hunch )

I don't subscribe to the view that we should always sign back ex players but if we had to sign an ex player back then I would be happy for Summerfield to come back, I didn't mind him last time and he's doing well in the national League

Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, May 8, 2021, 1:27pm; Reply: 33
GKs
Macca Keep
Battersby Keep
Wastwood (loan) try and loan again
Russel probably retires if we sign a senior pro

Def
Hendrie keep but he'll never stay
Bunney let go
Waterfal let go
Pollock keep but doubt he'll stay
Hellmans (loan) try to sign
Idehan keep
Haberghan keep
Hewitt keep but we've got no chance

Mid
Rose release
Coke keep
Williams release
Scannell release
Spokes keep
Clifton keep
Morais keep but he'll be released
Wright keep
Matete (loan) move heaven and earth to sign or loan again
Bennett (loan) send back
El Mizouni (loan) try to sign or loan again
Lamy keep

att
Gibson days are done you suspect after his stupid gender reveal party
Jackson Jr keep
Sisay release
Shop keep
Payne shouldn't even be still under contract
Green should of been released last season
Hanson release
Posted by: Hagrid, May 8, 2021, 1:30pm; Reply: 34
Your living on another planet if you think yo’ll see Matete again
Posted by: AdamHaddock, May 8, 2021, 1:36pm; Reply: 35
Is Ohman still with us?

I'm sure he was training with the lads in a youtube video filmed yesterday. Although there's next to no chance of him wanting to play in the conference.
Posted by: cannylad68, May 8, 2021, 2:02pm; Reply: 36
I've heard the same comment regarding Luke Hendry.
Apparently he's not the only player that doesn't like Paul Hurst.

What has to be remembered in this day and age, virtually every player has an agent, who will be doing their utmost best to get a good deal. There may be a surprise or two to follow.
Posted by: Hagrid, May 8, 2021, 2:04pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from cannylad68

What has to be remembered in this day and age, virtually every player has an agent, who will be doing their utmost best to get a good deal. There may be a surprise or two to follow.

Well if they dont like him eff off. They’ve just finished bottom of the football league
Posted by: wigworld, May 8, 2021, 2:08pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from the driver

What about Dirty Harry

His legs have gone.
Posted by: Davec, May 8, 2021, 2:09pm; Reply: 39
They probably don't like Hurst as he won't allow them to just toss it off like Holloway did
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, May 8, 2021, 2:30pm; Reply: 40
I'll go out on a limb and say keep Green on a significantly reduced deal. He won't get a League club deal, Hurst has persisted with him so must see something there in training, and he can finish. Coming off the bench, with the right player upfront with him, against tiring part-time defenders, he might do a job for us. Would have to be cheap though.
Posted by: toontown, May 8, 2021, 2:34pm; Reply: 41

Macca - keep
Battersby - keep and loan out
Eastwood- keep, I was impressed although 2 injuries in a few weeks is a concern for a keeper
Russell - will surely just be kept on as coach

Hendrie - would be good at NL but will probably leave, hasn't been as good as previously so not too big a loss but would prefer to keep
Hewitt - would be  a great signing at CB but may well get an efl club
Menayse- worth signing, assuming he is out of contract I think we have a decent chance
Habergham - been poor, albeit improved defensively recently, really weak attacking wise, we definitely need better. Out of Preston bunney and him he was the best but our best performances at LB this season have come from an out of position and playing on his weaker side Harry clifton which tells you everything
Clifton - keep. In a small squad he can cover multiple positions and save you money to spend on quality rather than quantity
Waterfall - not got great discipline, will play well enough for most of then game but throw in some absolute catastrophic defending. Like toto will do at least one suicidal move per game but doesn't have the pace to recover so more likely to concede from it. A calamity waiting to happen. Needs to go, hopefully we have  a relegation clause in his contract.
Pollock - still so young for a CB, very calm, good control, great in the air, strong, scores a few, very slow and immobile, poor passer. Would definitely be worth keeping in NL. We have an option for another year so would be crazy not to take it up in my opinion. Especially if we can offload waterfall

Rose - offload. Not good enough and slow and immobile and does nothing attack wise. Gets caught out defensively too.
Coke - improved us but for me I think we can do better and will need to have better if we are to try and at least challenge for the title. He will be too old and offer too little going forward in a 2 man midfield (if that's how we play)
Matete - obviously would be great to keep him, obviously we won't be.
El mizouni - probably not done enough to want to keep him
Williams - urine weak and usually shite, has an occasional good game but nothing to make up for his usual performances. Nowhere near good enough for next year, desperately needs offloading.
Scannell - clearly not interested. Offload
Bennett - shows occasional good touches but mostly anonymous. Only on loan so we can simply allow him to leave as won't be wanted next year.
Spokes - we need better. Considering his young age does show bits of promise but I think relegation/payoffs will mean we maybe can't find the money for someone who probably wouldn't be useful for us next year and maybe not even the year after so might be let go. A bit unlucky for him. Might sneak in as 4th choice if he's cheap enough?
Jackson Jr- because we have to pay off so many plus we are dropping a level he might get to stay, Hurst clearly doesn't rate him tho. Remember he dropped 30+ goals a season and hard working podge who had plenty of control and ability to bring in others, because he wasnt defending enough from the front etc. Jackson tries to work hard and knows where the net is but has looked well short of league level in his all round game so I don't think he is a Hurst type at all. Just might get loaned out at NL or NLN level to see how he does.

Gibson- has some physical attributes but nowhere near good enough. Will probably be loaned out as he has 2 years on his contract probably to NLN level, might just be paid off if that works out cheaper
Hanson- past it, will be allowed to leave. Might well retire
Green- utterly abysmal, will be allowed to leave and presumably retire
The shop - will stay obviously,we will need better as first choice up front tho in my opinion, does bring so.etging to the table tho

Posted by: ginnywings, May 8, 2021, 2:47pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from GollyGTFC

No, they definitely (100%) said that next season's budget in the NL will be higher than this season's budget.

Hurst also said that his budget is not a maximum, but a minimum and there may be scope to increase it should the need arise.
Posted by: bax, May 8, 2021, 2:48pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
I'll go out on a limb and say keep Green on a significantly reduced deal. He won't get a League club deal, Hurst has persisted with him so must see something there in training, and he can finish. Coming off the bench, with the right player upfront with him, against tiring part-time defenders, he might do a job for us. Would have to be cheap though.

Why? Is there a shortage of strikers this pre-season that forces us to re-sign players who aren't good enough any more?

Posted by: ginnywings, May 8, 2021, 2:52pm; Reply: 44
I'd be astonished if Green is re-signed.
Posted by: toontown, May 8, 2021, 3:11pm; Reply: 45

Hurst has brought him back as there is nobody else he trusts to play up front. He would literally rather have an empty spot on the pitch/bench than Gibson, Hanson is injured, Payne has been told to leave, he has picked green up front ahead of Jackson and Lamy, presumably because of experience and offering something in the air defensively which Hurst is quite keen on.

Realise I forgot a few:
Payne - will leave obviously
Morais - will need to be paid off obviously
Wright - injured again. Massive season for him next year, still signed so he gets a final chance I would think to prove his body can take pro football. Definitely useful at league level so more so in NL, assuming injuries haven't already slowed him down. I hope he spends his time hitting some weights and strengthening up, might help him with the injuries and will definitely help him with getting shoved off the ball.
Lamy - can't even force his way into the attack for this team so will surely be allowed to leave.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, May 8, 2021, 3:20pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from bax

Why? Is there a shortage of strikers this pre-season that forces us to re-sign players who aren't good enough any more?

Maybe not then - no one agrees. I wonder why PH has persisted with him - what's he see in him? Does he train well and set a good example to the younger players? He has buckets of goals at Conference level. Can he get 10 goals for us as 4th choice striker on a cheap deal...

Posted by: fishcake63, May 8, 2021, 3:35pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Nutsy
I’d love for us to get Eastwood back

Not a chance he will get a league one gigg more than good enough, way too good a keeper for non league
Posted by: mariner91, May 8, 2021, 3:46pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from cannylad68

Not entirely surprising as he did say the squad had very little quality when he came in. But then equally, they've done precious little to prove him wrong since then. The likes of Waterfall and Hendrie haven't been very good all season and going on that are quite easily replaced. The only player who was already here who has proved themselves is Hewitt. And I think if we offered him something we'd have a chance of keeping him. He's only just started playing regularly at the back and has been involved in 2 relegations out of the league in the last 3 seasons. Even for large parts of this season he was pretty anonymous until moved to the back by PH so his stock isn't going to be particularly high. Offer him and Rollins a good contract and you've got a good CB pairing to build from. Keep Clifton, Shop, Macca, Wright, Jackson Jnr and Pollock to be in and around the squad but not first team necessarily unless they up their game. The rest can go. There's a reason we're bottom of the football league and we need better.
Posted by: joe56, May 8, 2021, 4:07pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from forza ivano

that was a question that never got asked on the podcast Bax.
they certainly have only mentioned in Palmer in relation to footballing matters & 'helping Paul'. i took it that he was doing a root and branch review/audit of everything on the playing side, but i'd be intrigued to know the answer

If Palmer gets involved in the football side of things, I can’t see Hurst hanging around for long. For what it’s worth, I think we’ll retain no more than 6 of the senior squad, quite possibly as few as 3-4. Nearly all of these players have shown conclusively that they’re not good enough.
Posted by: bax, May 8, 2021, 4:23pm; Reply: 50

Maybe not then - no one agrees. I wonder why PH has persisted with him - what's he see in him? Does he train well and set a good example to the younger players? He has buckets of goals at Conference level. Can he get 10 goals for us as 4th choice striker on a cheap deal...

He's the best of a bad bunch.

Which shows why we are the worst team in the 92.
Posted by: Bigdog, May 8, 2021, 4:26pm; Reply: 51
Hendrie
Hewitt
Clifton
Coke
Pollock

Won't get Matete, but try to sign Menayese and also Eastwood on loan for the season, bin the rest..
Posted by: Grimal, May 8, 2021, 8:43pm; Reply: 52
Hewitt and try to sign Menayese, I'd not want to keep any of the others.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 8, 2021, 10:03pm; Reply: 53
Although McKeown is contracted we need better, would like to see if Eastwood would come back?.
Hewitt, Hendrie, Coke offer a new deals to and try to tempt Maneyese to sign.
Green, let him go along with Hanson.
Spokes, juries out, probably let him leave, Jackson junior, trigger his extension and pay up Williams, Rose and Gibson.
Morais is an odd one, do you give him a second chance??.I know I would.
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 8, 2021, 10:16pm; Reply: 54
If we start next season with LJL as one of our 1st choice strikers, come the end of next season some on here will be complaining the National League North isn't a viable League
Posted by: nightrider, May 8, 2021, 11:09pm; Reply: 55
One thing is certain - he won't keep Jackson. He must HATE the poor lad  ;D
Mind you, I imagine he won't want to stick around
Posted by: Bigdog, May 9, 2021, 2:40am; Reply: 56
Quoted from arryarryarry
If we start next season with LJL as one of our 1st choice strikers, come the end of next season some on here will be complaining the National League North isn't a viable League

I haven't been that impressed with LJL tbh. We need better..
Posted by: Bigdog, May 9, 2021, 2:43am; Reply: 57
Quoted from nightrider
One thing is certain - he won't keep Jackson. He must HATE the poor lad  ;D
Mind you, I imagine he won't want to stick around

We need all of our players next season to have the same attitude as Jackson Jnr, but have greater ability and nous than the lad has got..
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, May 9, 2021, 11:29pm; Reply: 58
What we have to remember is that Hurst will have a list of players he wants rid of for whatever reason, but then apart from one or two who are contracted for next year, he still has to have any contract offers he makes accepted.

He could only end up with 5 or less players from this season's squad even if he wanted more.

On EFL on Quest tonight they said some teams had already started to release players last week.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, May 10, 2021, 12:21am; Reply: 59
Quoted from arryarryarry

The love in for him does my head in. He’s an athlete not a footballer and certainly not a goal scorer. The may be a place for him if we can’t find better doing what he does,  it I’m pretty sure there is players out there who offer more. Never seen a striker miss so many sitters. If we aspire to go straight up we need much better.
Posted by: immariner, May 10, 2021, 1:05am; Reply: 60
Pretty sure LJL got 15 goals in 37 appearances in a midtable conference north team and the worst team in league 2 in 2020/21. 46 league etarts next season, he gets into double figures easily (come on Jonnyboy, put your sausage where your mouth is). Not saying he should be a starter, I hope we bring in 2 or 3 quality strikers but he'll certainly contribute, just as he did the last season we spent in that league. He's 31 and still got what he had last time plus experiience. Bizarre that people are writing him off to be honest.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 10, 2021, 9:27am; Reply: 61
Lincoln won the National League with Fatty Rhead leading the line. He scored 15 goals.

Ricky Miller scored 40 for Dover and they finished mid table. There is more than one way to win a league, not that I'm advocating LJL is our main striker. He will contribute, but it's teams that win leagues not individuals.
Posted by: Bigdog, May 10, 2021, 11:22am; Reply: 62
Quoted from ginnywings
Lincoln won the National League with Fatty Rhead leading the line. He scored 15 goals.

Ricky Miller scored 40 for Dover and they finished mid table. There is more than one way to win a league, not that I'm advocating LJL is our main striker. He will contribute, but it's teams that win leagues not individuals.

Putting sentimentality aside, if LJL was unknown to us before his arrival this season, no one on here would want him for next season as first choice striker or possibly in the squad either. Unless my eyes have deceived me, he doesn't score goals, is not very quick, not fit enough for 90 minutes, can't run the channels, can't outpace defenders, has a poor touch, spurns gilt-edged opportunities, poor in the air, can't beat a man one on one but is above average in holding the ball up.. He's had a really bad injury not long back and is nowhere near the player he once was, but could be a good character around the dressing room, on relatively low wages and an off the bench option for a handful of games in certain circumstances. Whether he will benefit from a different kind of striking partner to Hanson remains to be seen, but I hope we sign three forwards with a better all round game..

I also don't get the love in on pure football terms..
Posted by: Hagrid, May 10, 2021, 11:34am; Reply: 63
Quoted from Bigdog

Putting sentimentality aside, if LJL was unknown to us before his arrival this season, no one on here would want him for next season as first choice striker or possibly in the squad either. Unless my eyes have deceived me, he doesn't score goals, is not very quick, not fit enough for 90 minutes, can't run the channels, can't outpace defenders, has a poor touch, spurns gilt-edged opportunities, poor in the air, can't beat a man one on one but is just above average in holding the ball up..

I also don't get the love in..

think your being very harsh on him there
Posted by: Bigdog, May 10, 2021, 11:41am; Reply: 64
Quoted from Hagrid

think your being very harsh on him there

If we want to get promoted, we need to be ruthless about every single player we've still got on the books. Football isn't a very kind sport for players if clubs need success..

Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, May 10, 2021, 11:49am; Reply: 65
Quoted from Bigdog

If we want to get promoted, we need to be ruthless about every single player we've still got on the books. Football isn't a very kind sport for players if clubs need success..

I kind of want to disagree with you but I can't - we need to be ruthless and sign players who make us better. We also need to stop signing players with a history of discipline and injury problems, past performance suggests future behaviour.
Posted by: devs, May 10, 2021, 11:54am; Reply: 66
Ideal world for me sees Lenny as 3rd/4th choice striker
He is whole-hearted, plays for the badge, gives his all every game...sadly he is not now up to the first XI quality you need to be part of a title challenging team'
He lacks touch/technique where it matters - theta lethal side to his game in the box

But I would be 100% happy with him being a squad member

Who you would like to retain is a helluva lot different to who will be - loanees and those seeking L2 football

Being realistic Matete is off to better things; Menayese has done well but he's not our player; Hewitt/Hendrie/Coke may want L2 footy

Rose, Williams, Scannell et al can all go (although Scannell seems to have survived PH's total cull)

I think apart from 4/5 players all bets are off with the others - could be complete carnage or not as swingeing as most of us think

Huge questions marks though over players like Waterfall, Pollock, Habergham, Wright, Spokes (did himself no favours Saturday), Gibson, Jackson, Green
Posted by: Hagrid, May 10, 2021, 12:02pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from devs
Ideal world for me sees Lenny as 3rd/4th choice striker
He is whole-hearted, plays for the badge, gives his all every game...sadly he is not now up to the first XI quality you need to be part of a title challenging team'
He lacks touch/technique where it matters - theta lethal side to his game in the box

But I would be 100% happy with him being a squad member

Who you would like to retain is a helluva lot different to who will be - loanees and those seeking L2 football

Being realistic Matete is off to better things; Menayese has done well but he's not our player; Hewitt/Hendrie/Coke may want L2 footy

Rose, Williams, Scannell et al can all go (although Scannell seems to have survived PH's total cull)

I think apart from 4/5 players all bets are off with the others - could be complete carnage or not as swingeing as most of us think

Huge questions marks though over players like Waterfall, Pollock, Habergham, Wright, Spokes (did himself no favours Saturday), Gibson, Jackson, Green

these have to go for me
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 10, 2021, 12:02pm; Reply: 68
McKeown - under contract, would absolutely keep, will be up there with best keepers in the Conference.
Eastwood - send him back, looked iffy when he was playing and is too injury prone for a backup keeper.
Battersby - keep, send him out on loan for the season.
Russell - under contract, just make him full-time GK coach and could be used in an emergency.

Hendrie - out of contract, have a feeling Hursty might think he can do better, especially if he is unhappy as some have suggested.
Hewitt - would try and keep but will get a league club. He's been a revelation at CB and if Hursty does what he did last time with a squad of 21-23 players then his versatility would be invaluable but he's done so well he'll get a league club.
Bunney - release, no explanation necessary.
Habergham, interesting on, probably keep on balance provided he's cheap. Think he'd benefit from a full pre-season and the reset, plus a lower league. We've seen he was good there before. Again, Hursty may feel he can better.
Menayese - would love to keep but will get a league club.
Pollock - keep, think he'll benefit from a Hursty being better than Holloway and a league down.
Waterfall - try and ship out.
Idehen - I haven't got a clue, will probably leave.

Clifton - keep, as a local lad he'll probably stay, his versatility, enegry and increased quality could be very valuable doen there.
Coke - defo try and keep. Given he was at Hereford and is already 35 I think he'd stay.
Lamy - release, done ok in flashes but again I think Hursty will think he can find better.
Morais - try and pay off, even before Payne headbutt he was a one trick pony with no energy, not what we need.
Matete - obviously would love to keep but forget it.
El Mizouni - he looked like he'd be quite a good player, if he had better players around him when he was fit. He'll obviously go back but I wouldn't argue with a return.
Rose - try and pay him off, don't want anti-vaxxers at the club, plus he'll be a high earner.
Spokes - keep, he'll be more than able as a squad player in the Conference and probably cheap.
Williams - try and pay off, Hurst clearly doesn't rate him and I again he'll be expensive.
Wright - keep, his pace and directness will terrorise non-league defenders if he could just keep himself fit.

Bennett - just send him back, one of the worst players I've ever seen play for us.
Gibson - pay off, he's an idiot and wasn't even that good.
Green - get rid, need better and can probably do better and cheaper
Hanson - sad to say but get rid, too injury prone to be relied on
Lenny - under contract and we know how good he is at that level.
Jackson Jr. - under contract, think he'll be a star next season, lower division, more Hurst coaching.
Payne - go, now and never come back.
Scannell - try and pay off, obviously expensive, very injury prone and not a Hursty player
Sisat - pass.
Posted by: Grantley, May 10, 2021, 12:14pm; Reply: 69
LJL is perfect as the 3rd/4th choice striker to bring on to see a game out or if we have to go gung-ho because he’s a nightmare to deal with, as despite being 6 years older than before he’s still strong as hell. We do need better goalscorers though, so I’m interested to see what happens on that front.

Kidderminster are supposedly interested in Monte Gibson (as they were last summer) so that could be one easily off the books (fingers crossed). You can’t imagine Danny Rose would stick around if he was unwanted although if he does, it says it all about the man.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, May 10, 2021, 12:33pm; Reply: 70
Anyone know when the retained list is out?
Posted by: psgmariner, May 10, 2021, 12:38pm; Reply: 71
Today or tomorrow.
Posted by: psgmariner, May 10, 2021, 12:40pm; Reply: 72
https://twitter.com/grimsbytownlive/status/1391695218777464832?s=21
Posted by: fishcake63, May 10, 2021, 1:01pm; Reply: 73
100% sure hewitt will still be a league footballer nxt season his performances at centre half wont have gone unnoticed
Posted by: Son of Cod, May 10, 2021, 1:21pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from psgmariner

Great to see us getting off the mark early on this.
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 10, 2021, 1:39pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from Son of Cod

Great to see us getting off the mark early on this.

I think you will find that retained lists and players being told they are not wanted usually happens the week after the season ends.

As regards recruitment, PH seemed to suggest that we may be looking at National League players as he mentioned in his after match interview on Saturday that there may be a few weeks delay as their season hasn't ended yet.

Posted by: Son of Cod, May 10, 2021, 1:51pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from arryarryarry

I think you will find that retained lists and players being told they are not wanted usually happens the week after the season ends.

As regards recruitment, PH seemed to suggest that we may be looking at National League players as he mentioned in his after match interview on Saturday that there may be a few weeks delay as their season hasn't ended yet.

Was 21st May last season, a few weeks after the end of the season...
https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2020/may/retained-list-announced/

Feels like we've been slow to do this a couple of times before too.
Posted by: pen penfras, May 10, 2021, 1:53pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from Son of Cod

Was 21st May last season, a few weeks after the end of the season...
https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2020/may/retained-list-announced/

Feels like we've been slow to do this a couple of times before too.

I'm not sure you can count last season, which was abandoned way before that, as a typical reference
Posted by: mariner91, May 10, 2021, 2:03pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from Mariner_09

Hewitt - would try and keep but will get a league club. He's been a revelation at CB and if Hursty does what he did last time with a squad of 21-23 players then his versatility would be invaluable but he's done so well he'll get a league club.

I don't know why people are so certain about this. He's had half a good season. He's been relegated two out of the last three seasons and in the other one still finished lower mid table. Hardly a glowing CV.
Posted by: Bigdog, May 10, 2021, 2:17pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from Mariner_09
McKeown - under contract, would absolutely keep, will be up there with best keepers in the Conference.
Eastwood - send him back, looked iffy when he was playing and is too injury prone for a backup keeper.
Battersby - keep, send him out on loan for the season.
Russell - under contract, just make him full-time GK coach and could be used in an emergency.

Hendrie - out of contract, have a feeling Hursty might think he can do better, especially if he is unhappy as some have suggested.
Bunney - release, no explanation necessary.
Habergham, interesting on, probably keep on balance provided he's cheap. Think he'd benefit from a full pre-season and the reset, plus a lower league. We've seen he was good there before. Again, Hursty may feel he can better.
Menayese - would love to keep but will get a league club.
Pollock - keep, think he'll benefit from a Hursty being better than Holloway and a league down.
Waterfall - try and ship out.
Idehen - I haven't got a clue, will probably leave.

Clifton - keep, as a local lad he'll probably stay, his versatility, enegry and increased quality could be very valuable doen there.
Coke - defo try and keep. Given he was at Hereford and is already 35 I think he'd stay.
Lamy - release, done ok in flashes but again I think Hursty will think he can find better.
Morais - try and pay off, even before Payne headbutt he was a one trick pony with no energy, not what we need.
Matete - obviously would love to keep but forget it.
El Mizouni - he looked like he'd be quite a good player, if he had better players around him when he was fit. He'll obviously go back but I wouldn't argue with a return.
Rose - try and pay him off, don't want anti-vaxxers at the club, plus he'll be a high earner.
Spokes - keep, he'll be more than able as a squad player in the Conference and probably cheap.
Williams - try and pay off, Hurst clearly doesn't rate him and I again he'll be expensive.
Wright - keep, his pace and directness will terrorise non-league defenders if he could just keep himself fit.

Bennett - just send him back, one of the worst players I've ever seen play for us.
Gibson - pay off, he's an idiot and wasn't even that good.
Green - get rid, need better and can probably do better and cheaper
Hanson - sad to say but get rid, too injury prone to be relied on
Lenny - under contract and we know how good he is at that level.
Jackson Jr. - under contract, think he'll be a star next season, lower division, more Hurst coaching.
Payne - go, now and never come back.
Scannell - try and pay off, obviously expensive, very injury prone and not a Hursty player
Sisat - pass.

Say we're trying to win the Conference at the first attempt. You have to ask what is the calibre of the players that make up the DNA of a championship winning side? 20 players with two or three loans during the season? At the end of that successful season, three or four of them will have to be good enough for League One clubs to be sniffing around, you'd want to take another nine or ten up with you because they will be good enough for at least mid-table League Two and the remaining five or so will have been good enough for the Conference but not good enough to make the step up. I've highlighted the players you've picked that we've got a decent chance of keeping, I disagree about Eastwood and one or two others, and think that barring two or three you've selected, they're all at the lower end of the DNA spectrum for a Conference winning side. I hope and expect Hurst to have a larger axe in his hand than people expect in the next couple of days..
Posted by: Son of Cod, May 10, 2021, 2:33pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from pen penfras

I'm not sure you can count last season, which was abandoned way before that, as a typical reference

Ah yeah, good point. Maybe it feels early because it's a Monday then. :o
Posted by: Bigdog, May 10, 2021, 2:34pm; Reply: 81

I kind of want to disagree with you but I can't - we need to be ruthless and sign players who make us better. We also need to stop signing players with a history of discipline and injury problems, past performance suggests future behaviour.

Assessing the improvements made to the team over the second half of the season, we have significantly improved by playing Hewitt and Menayese at the back and playing the midfield pair of Coke and Matete, both pairings key to making us much harder to beat. This is where we've vastly improved. Everywhere else not so much, still struggle for goals although more competitive when lumping the ball forward, no improvement wide at all and Clifton has been our best left back. We've got to be realistic about our squad. We need to be much better next season to get out of the Conference, we can't take passengers or players that we hope will do ok with "the step down", when in fact we need to be stepping up our quality through shrewd recruitment..
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 8:42am