Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: IrishMariner, May 7, 2021, 3:46pm
Apologies if it is deemed unnecessary to have another thread for this.

Was just wondering what ideas people have posed to far.

I know that the best ideas will come to light in time but I don't want to wait to have to hear, I'm too excited!

As a fan in Ireland I am mostly concerned with a streaming service for next year but I look forward to hearing what everybody else had to say :)
Posted by: londonmariner2, May 7, 2021, 3:48pm; Reply: 1
easier process of buying a ticket
Posted by: Chrisblor, May 7, 2021, 4:07pm; Reply: 2
Posted by: forza ivano, May 7, 2021, 4:35pm; Reply: 3
If 1878 are committed to using the talents volunteered by the many exiles out there i suggested a volunteer coordinator, who would know who could offer what and when.

on a side note did anyone else know that we had a walking football team and a disabilities team?
Would be nice if they were a bit better publicised
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, May 7, 2021, 4:37pm; Reply: 4
Round balls and Docks Beer.

Thankyou

That is all
Posted by: Doctor Sanchez, May 7, 2021, 4:47pm; Reply: 5
Something I mentioned that I'd like to see is a better policy towards retaining players. While this obviously is better for the squad, I think this also links directly to the fans and community aspect.  For the last 10+ years we've seen every season start with an almost completely new squad.  This has a negative effect on fan/player relationships as there's no opportunity for fans to feel any real connection with most of the players.  Exceptions such as James McKeown show what can happen when players spend a decent amount of time here, he's now a Town man and gives everything for the club and the fans.  I know short contracts seem to be the norm now but I don't think it has to be that way, especially with the new owners talking about building a new, positive culture at the club.  That culture can't be built if we have players coming and going all of the time.  
Posted by: Kris2, May 7, 2021, 5:40pm; Reply: 6
See some good ideas here already so hopefully there will be plenty of suggestions for them to take on board. Improved matchday experience is something our facilities have long felt outdated too with only minor improvements over the years.  I mostly focused on how much we need to update facilities in general both in our training facilities and around the ground. I think that if people see them putting their words into actions and improvements it'll generate more feelings of excitement and put a bit of pride back into the fanbase.

Long felt like the club is just penny pinching and doing everything in the cheapest possible way, if we see owners and staff who care enough to make improvements then the fanbase will get behind it. Maybe even give people the chance to volunteer in some areas where improvements are being made, I'm sure a few people (restrictions being lifted and all hopefully) wouldn't mind offering a pair of hands to do something to help improve facilities if they can. Make it a community effort.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 7, 2021, 5:49pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from forza ivano
If 1878 are committed to using the talents volunteered by the many exiles out there i suggested a volunteer coordinator, who would know who could offer what and when.

on a side note did anyone else know that we had a walking football team and a disabilities team?
Would be nice if they were a bit better publicised

That’s an excellent idea. Needn’t be just exiles though. Some form of volunteer talent register would be good.

I knew about the walking football but not the team with disabilities/enabilities (😉)
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, May 7, 2021, 5:58pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Doctor Sanchez
Something I mentioned that I'd like to see is a better policy towards retaining players. While this obviously is better for the squad, I think this also links directly to the fans and community aspect.  For the last 10+ years we've seen every season start with an almost completely new squad.  This has a negative effect on fan/player relationships as there's no opportunity for fans to feel any real connection with most of the players.  Exceptions such as James McKeown show what can happen when players spend a decent amount of time here, he's now a Town man and gives everything for the club and the fans.  I know short contracts seem to be the norm now but I don't think it has to be that way, especially with the new owners talking about building a new, positive culture at the club.  That culture can't be built if we have players coming and going all of the time.  

I made a similar point in my survey response. We need the core of the team to be like James McKeown - I can take getting beaten by better teams when our team is 100% fit, committed and playing for the badge of the 143-year-old institution that they are part of, but not when our team is made up of journeymen, picking up the cheque and not giving a flying feck, if that means more Harry Cliftons - limited but committed then that's fine with me.

If you think about a player like John Cockerill and compare to Scott McGarvey or Peter Sweeney - limited ability but loads of heart and commitment against loads of talent but feck all else. Cockers finished his career at 32 at the highest level he'd ever played at. McGarvey and Sweeney went on a downward spiral from International u21 to feck all with us paying them too much money on their way down.
Posted by: lukeo, May 7, 2021, 6:05pm; Reply: 9
Though being an exile so I thought back to when I was a season ticket holder in my teens and younger ages and suggested :

Short term :
more pre match entertainment (I know they're already doing a fanzone).
School competitions and the winners gets tickets for family.
Fish and chips available to all fans inside the groundd.

Med-long term :
Better training facilities / more pitches and have tournaments arranged through the holidays for adults and children of all ages. Make more people aware and show them what gtfc is about.

I'd love to see them massively slice St prices for one season just too see how many people would be enticed in.
Posted by: BenBB, May 7, 2021, 6:25pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from IrishMariner
Apologies if it is deemed unnecessary to have another thread for this.

Was just wondering what ideas people have posed to far.

I know that the best ideas will come to light in time but I don't want to wait to have to hear, I'm too excited!

As a fan in Ireland I am mostly concerned with a streaming service for next year but I look forward to hearing what everybody else had to say :)

Being an 'exile' in Scotland wasn't much for me to add on the actually going to BP front, it's been a while since I've been myself (last time was just after they put the 'new' video scoreboard up, whenever that was). Did mention something about the PA being poop and that a better PA could add to the atmosphere with music. And Docks Beers of course!

Did add some feedback around keeping the education (GTSET) side of the club around. I was quite involved when I was younger and went to the after-school things they put on and the team there definitely seemed dedicated and did some great work. And the NCS scheme that the club were a part of was fantastic, sponsored by government sending us 2 weeks on different activity 'holidays' and then doing some community work, with a ceremony at the end at Grimsby Auditorium. Not sure if they still do the NCS thing but something similar would be good. Also the 'football in the community' after school coaching and things are good for creating awareness and contributing in the community.

For club promotion mentioned 'kids go free' tickets & 'buy one get one free' kinda schemes which have been successful in the past and were many of the reason that I got dragged along to games by my dad.

And also of course putting on some sort of streaming service, which Jason/Andrew have mentioned in other interviews that they'd be able to put on quite easily with their backgrounds if the licencing allows.

Also the most important thing, Inflatable Harry Haddock > Inflatable Pettit Sausage
Posted by: cardiffmariner, May 7, 2021, 6:45pm; Reply: 11
Focused on the idea of a community club myself. We have to reach out to the young, the old and all those in between.

The club has to become more than a football team that plays on a Saturday and occasional Tuesdays. It needs to be known just as much for the work it does in the community supporting the people of the town. To the best of my knowledge this has been pretty much neglected by the previous administration. They put all their eggs in one basket and relied entirely on the football being the be all and end - Fenty even said as much. I think the new owners understand that GTFC needs to be more than just this if it is something that is to be truly valuable to the town.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, May 7, 2021, 7:00pm; Reply: 12
I still have never heard a word uttered on the Pontoon Tannoy. I mean I like it like that but it can get annoying when announcements sound like they are being shouted from Spurn Lighthouse
Posted by: acko338, May 7, 2021, 7:02pm; Reply: 13
How about some of the ex footballers who have set up businesses locally, giving local children stories of their experiences, and also helping the Gy Town youths realise that life as a footballer could be short through ability or injury.

Education through those you have watched and admired on the field -

Gary Croft, Terry Donovan, Mike Brolly, Nigel Batch, all differing after-football jobs !

I'm sure people know of others, and Diddy Dave Boylen would have been a superb ambassador for this type of venture before he fell ill.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, May 7, 2021, 7:17pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from cardiffmariner
It needs to be known just as much for the work it does in the community supporting the people of the town. To the best of my knowledge this has been pretty much neglected by the previous administration.

Apart from Holloway's school visits early in his tenure, the ONLY current player who has regularly done community based things is Macca, and they have all been off his own back with no endorsement from the club.

This is the sort of thing that should now be encouraged by ALL players, from seasoned pro's right down to the youth team.

From presentation evenings and charities, right down to kids birthday parties, the club could and should make the effort to encompass the community.

Inside the Ground, pre-match and half-time entertainment, local pop groups, choirs etc etc. Plenty of space in those open corners for a makeshift stage.

Get old Town players back for every home game to walk round the pitch for photos and autographs. Remind THEM of former glories.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, May 7, 2021, 7:27pm; Reply: 15

Apart from Holloway's school visits early in his tenure, the ONLY current player who has regularly done community based things is Macca, and they have all been off his own back with no endorsement from the club.

This is the sort of thing that should now be encouraged by ALL players, from seasoned pro's right down to the youth team.

From presentation evenings and charities, right down to kids birthday parties, the club could and should make the effort to encompass the community.

Inside the Ground, pre-match and half-time entertainment, local pop groups, choirs etc etc. Plenty of space in those open corners for a makeshift stage.

Get old Town players back for every home game to walk round the pitch for photos and autographs. Remind THEM of former glories.

Exactly - needs to be part of the contract. Leicester Tigers run match-day coaching clinics on the morning of home games with all the parents and children attending the match in the afternoon - kids go free adults pay normal price. Players not in the matchday squad (plenty of injured rugby players these days) put in an appearance at training and over the lunch which is provided. School holiday training camps have players there - all needs to be part of job.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, May 7, 2021, 7:28pm; Reply: 16
I know this is a possibly outdated but I would love to see the tradition of receiving a blazer with the clubs crest embossed on  it awarded to players who have represented the club 50 times and a smart concierge greeting opposing teams and guests always thought it gave us a touch of class
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 7, 2021, 7:32pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
I still have never heard a word uttered on the Pontoon Tannoy. I mean I like it like that but it can get annoying when announcements sound like they are being shouted from Spurn Lighthouse

Personally one of mine was to that the tannoy was poor at best...although the old boys hated it when we put speakers around the edge of the pitch I really enjoyed it, got the atmosphere bouncing before kick off.
Posted by: dicko995, May 7, 2021, 10:13pm; Reply: 18
probably a bit too much, but i asked about our own sky tv channel, like Premier clubs have. Maybe asking for too much, but i would join in a heartbeat.
Posted by: BenBB, May 8, 2021, 12:00am; Reply: 19
Quoted from dicko995
probably a bit too much, but i asked about our own sky tv channel, like Premier clubs have. Maybe asking for too much, but i would join in a heartbeat.

I've never seen it but didn't we used to have our own pre-match TV show on Channel 7? Searching on here it was called GTTV? My nan told me about it but I'm too young to remember that ever being a thing.

I know you're joking but traditional broadcast media is on the down. Something on an online live streaming service like Twitch/YouTube Live before games would be cool though, but I can't imagine it would have that much of a watching.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, May 8, 2021, 1:12am; Reply: 20
Build a San siro sized stadium on the old Ramsden's site.

Allow sponsored bungee jumping from the Findus gantry

Complimentary wasabi peas when you enter the ground (or Werther's Original in the main stand)
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, May 8, 2021, 7:18am; Reply: 21
In the days of George Kerr, the players used to do training sessions at the schools.
How much of a buzz it was to have Joe Waters, Bobby Cumming and Kev Drinkell that close to you as a kid.
Posted by: essexexile, May 8, 2021, 10:05am; Reply: 22
I think player loyalty is a big thing for fans to connect to the club, difficult with agents, because every fan has favourite players and I went to see players as well as the team
I remember throwing sweets as a kid and Harry Wainman spending most of the prematch kick in picking em up and the banter with Johnny Scott and Jimmy Fell
Also was it Bing who had the black and white suit and hat on who used to walk round the ground pre match getting the crowd going and sometimes with a blanket to collect loose change for charity
Entertainment has been lost at BP over the years we need to get that back
Oh yeh and red socks
Posted by: essexexile, May 8, 2021, 10:05am; Reply: 23
I think player loyalty is a big thing for fans to connect to the club, difficult with agents, because every fan has favourite players and I went to see players as well as the team
I remember throwing sweets as a kid and Harry Wainman spending most of the prematch kick in picking em up and the banter with Johnny Scott and Jimmy Fell
Also was it Bing who had the black and white suit and hat on who used to walk round the ground pre match getting the crowd going and sometimes with a blanket to collect loose change for charity
Entertainment has been lost at BP over the years we need to get that back
Oh yeh and red socks
Posted by: Mallyner, May 8, 2021, 10:18am; Reply: 24
I have filled in the questionnaire fully, with what I would like to see happen; which seems to be in line with what most others think.

Sadly at the age of 72 and with quite bad arthritis which prevents me from going up steps and sitting and getting up from low seats, I don't think I will be able to watch my beloved Mariners live again.

This season I have watched ever game but one and paid double what a season ticket would have cost me to do that.

Now I would not want in any way to cut crowds down, particularly on cold winter's nights, but if there was a way without doing that, that perhaps elderly, disabled and Mariner's supporters all over the UK, who live too far away to travel could watch the games live as on iFollow, I personally would pay the full match fee to do that; and it could add quite a bit of income every game.  
Posted by: DB, May 8, 2021, 10:25am; Reply: 25
Quoted from Mallyner
I have filled in the questionnaire fully, with what I would like to see happen; which seems to be in line with what most others think.

Sadly at the age of 72 and with quite bad arthritis which prevents me from going up steps and sitting and getting up from low seats, I don't think I will be able to watch my beloved Mariners live again.

This season I have watched ever game but one and paid double what a season ticket would have cost me to do that.

Now I would not want in any way to cut crowds down, particularly on cold winter's nights, but if there was a way without doing that, that perhaps elderly, disabled and Mariner's supporters all over the UK, who live too far away to travel could watch the games live as on iFollow, I personally would pay the full match fee to do that; and it could add quite a bit of income every game.  

Well posted, I absolutely agree with you. There are various forms of disability that go unnoticed and as you pointed out the club has benefited financially from you. Bums on seats are an obvious form of income at BP but bums in the armchair, with a row of pain killers etc., is a good option for the club to look at.

Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 8, 2021, 10:40am; Reply: 26
Quoted from Mallyner

That’s a good post, when I completed the survey I added something about accessibility for people who have mobility issues. My dad is 75 and we sit in the upper and he really struggles with the steps. I’ve asked him in the past if he wants to sit in the main but his response is always “I like the lads we sit with”.

One idea that clearly won’t be going ahead was a training ground out of Town, Jason Stockwood was really clear on that.
Posted by: Withnail, May 8, 2021, 10:49am; Reply: 27
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

I mentioned the inaudible tannoy system as well, and lack of pre match build up, amongst various other things, including the need for better food, which last time I had the misfortune of purchasing was inedible -  (fish and chips and Lincs sausages please - we are Europe's Food Town after all) and drink (Docks Beer is the obvious choice), a park and ride from pubs to avoid parking issues, the necessity of making better use of the ground pre match and as a community hub on other days of the week, reduced season ticket prices, improved, proactive PR and the need to pack out the ground, something Jason and Andrew touched on in one of their recent interviews.

We know the vast majority of away teams will bring sodomist all fans so I'd like to see safe standing return to the Osmond for home fans (if feasible) with reduced ticket pricing. I'd also like to see a quota of season tickets be awarded to vulnerable section of society who otherwise would not be able to attend games at BP.  These tickets could be offered after the deadline has passed for early bird STs to avoid cries of foul play. This quota of STs could also be given to unsung  heroes in the community. While some would no doubt moan at this altruistic offer, better to have an extra 500, or 1,000 bums on seats who will no doubt buy drinks, food, programmes, merchandise, bring a friend... than 500 or 1,000 extra empty seats.

I think the media would be all over this and it would provide GTFC with some much needed positive media coverage.

The ground seriously needs tarting up. No one expects BP to be transformed into Tottenham Hotspur stadium but the bogs are disgusting, parts of the ground resemble a Victorian prison and the place has a down at heel, neglected feel to it. We all know why.
Posted by: Withnail, May 8, 2021, 12:35pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Withnail

I mentioned the inaudible tannoy system as well, and lack of pre match build up, amongst various other things, including the need for better food, which last time I had the misfortune of purchasing was inedible -  (fish and chips and Lincs sausages please - we are Europe's Food Town after all) and drink (Docks Beer is the obvious choice), a park and ride from pubs to avoid parking issues, the necessity of making better use of the ground pre match and as a community hub on other days of the week, reduced season ticket prices, improved, proactive PR and the need to pack out the ground, something Jason and Andrew touched on in one of their recent interviews.

We know the vast majority of away teams will bring sodomist all fans so I'd like to see safe standing return to the Osmond for home fans (if feasible) with reduced ticket pricing. I'd also like to see a quota of season tickets be awarded to vulnerable section of society who otherwise would not be able to attend games at BP.  These tickets could be offered after the deadline has passed for early bird STs to avoid cries of foul play. This quota of STs could also be given to unsung  heroes in the community. While some would no doubt moan at this altruistic offer, better to have an extra 500, or 1,000 bums on seats who will no doubt buy drinks, food, programmes, merchandise, bring a friend... than 500 or 1,000 extra empty seats.

I think the media would be all over this and it would provide GTFC with some much needed positive media coverage.

The ground seriously needs tarting up. No one expects BP to be transformed into Tottenham Hotspur stadium but the bogs are disgusting, parts of the ground resemble a Victorian prison and the place has a down at heel, neglected feel to it. We all know why.

Thinking about it...maybe the club could arrange a fundraiser for fans, players and staff to take part in to raise funds for season tickets for this cohort of vulnerable fans/unsung heroes. A realistic target could be set between now and the start of the new season, which could then be matched either by the club, or  a grant making charity, like the Dulverton Trust.

Call it the 500 Challenge - to raise funds for 500 season tickets, or we it really takes off, the 1,000 Challenge.

Another thing I'd like to see more of are collaborations with other organisations like ABP, Steele's, the fishing heritage museum, Docks Beers.

For example, you could offer an awesome foursome day out by taking in four of: A tour and drinks at Docks Beers, a guided tour of the fish docks, including climb of Dock Tower, fishing heritage museum/Ross Tiger and then slap up fish and chips at McMenemy's/Steele's/Ocean... followed by tickets to the match....
Posted by: Azimuth, May 8, 2021, 12:44pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from BenBB

I've never seen it but didn't we used to have our own pre-match TV show on Channel 7? Searching on here it was called GTTV? My nan told me about it but I'm too young to remember that ever being a thing.

I know you're joking but traditional broadcast media is on the down. Something on an online live streaming service like Twitch/YouTube Live before games would be cool though, but I can't imagine it would have that much of a watching.

We did indeed, it was for a short period and was run by Ch7, this could provide a giid partnership with the institute and local 6th form media students, it would be another way of getting involved in the young people in the community and would generate some interest in the club at a local level.
Posted by: mimma, May 8, 2021, 1:12pm; Reply: 30
Aren't they already looking at better facilities for disabled fans, in one of the corners?  If they get it right, then you might be able to still go to watch your beloved Mariners again.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, May 8, 2021, 1:53pm; Reply: 31
Also, I know the Handicapped Supporters (with apologies for using the incorrect title) struggle for funds and help. Be a great move for the club to look after some of the most loyal fans I know. It was such a privilege to hand over the spare cash from Operation Mariachi to them as they had helped my late step brother so much over the years. Not sure how Daphne’s health is nowadays, but the job she has done is remarkable.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, May 8, 2021, 1:56pm; Reply: 32
In fact expanding on that, for a bit of engagement, how about an “Honorary Mariner” title for those that have done so much for the club over the years, recognising their efforts and support. Someone like Daphne or Terry or the like would be deserving. Nominations from the fans.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, May 8, 2021, 1:57pm; Reply: 33
I've completed the survey but forgot to mention something, so I emailed the Trust. GTFC should put together a band to play in the fanzone and other live events at Blundell Park in McMenemy's. Musicians income has been decimated by Lockdown. Many venues may not reopen and music venue numbers have been reducing for years because of onerous licensing requirements. [url]https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/dec/27/covid-decimated-live-music-business-jobs-unsung-heroes-economic-hardship[/url]

A small area at the back of the Pontoon (probably top right) should be cordoned off for some musicians to play during the game - a drummer and some brass. Remember the Play-off final v Bristol Rovers when 15k Town fans totally outsang and made more noise than 40k Bristolians with the help of our drummer.
Posted by: Mallyner, May 8, 2021, 2:13pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from mimma
Aren't they already looking at better facilities for disabled fans, in one of the corners?  If they get it right, then you might be able to still go to watch your beloved Mariners again.

Thank you very much to those, who have posted very kind replies to my post; and I am sure better facilities for disabled fans would be an excellent improvement.  :)

Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, May 8, 2021, 2:26pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Chrisblor
  • Replace the useless online club shop and ticket office
  • Introduce some sort of exile membership scheme (maybe the one they've set up during the pandemic will account for exiles - will need to see more detail when it launches)
  • Improved community engagement - club needs to realise it's competing against *any other activity on a Saturday afternoon* when trying to draw in new supporters
  • Better quality food and drink on offer at the ground, ideally provided by local businesses
  • Generally an improved matchday experience, so people can walk away from BP thinking they've had at decent time even if the team has played badly

Yeap, me and the wife said the same about the local food and drinks. Neither of us spend a penny at the ground, and if the likes of docks beers and pop up street food (e.g. Greek shack) was there we’d get there earlier and enjoy the experience. At the moment we just go and sit in our seats just before kick off, surrounded by McDonald’s rubbish. 🙄
Posted by: Madeleymariner, May 8, 2021, 2:37pm; Reply: 36
One of the things I suggested is building a toilet block for the men on one end of the Findus and using old mens loo for women so they have more . I'm pretty sure the queuing on the findus steps at half time is a serious safety hazard. Asked for locally produced real food, fish n chips, decent hot drinks, icecream vans in the warmer months as well.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 8, 2021, 2:40pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Madeleymariner
One of the things I suggested is building a toilet block for the men on one end of the Findus and using old mens loo for women so they have more . I'm pretty sure the queuing on the findus steps at half time is a serious safety hazard. Asked for locally produced real food, fish n chips, decent hot drinks, icecream vans in the warmer months as well.

??)
Posted by: ginnywings, May 8, 2021, 2:50pm; Reply: 38
A lot of the comments raised in this thread surrounding food, drink and entertainment will be addressed by the fanzone.

Apparently, the one at Lincoln gets walk in customers who don't even go to the games.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 8, 2021, 5:52pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from DB

Well posted, I absolutely agree with you. There are various forms of disability that go unnoticed and as you pointed out the club has benefited financially from you. Bums on seats are an obvious form of income at BP but bums in the armchair, with a row of pain killers etc., is a good option for the club to look at.

Isn’t that how many people have been doing it this season?
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 9:10am