Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 5, 2021, 7:49pm
They’ve bought a tranche of Mike Parker’s shares and also paid Fenty for the trust shares (about 2/3rds in)
https://twitter.com/mattdeanbbc/status/1390003502525648896?s=21
Posted by: Dogger Bank, May 5, 2021, 7:52pm; Reply: 1
Just watched Matt Dean's interview with Jason Stockdale and Andrew Pettit. As mentioned when asked they said Fenty was paid for the shares given to him by the Mariners Trust. The guy has no shame but questions have to be asked of the Trust. One of the reasons I didn't join as they clearly bowed down to the bully instead of standing up to him.
Posted by: Cambs Mariner, May 5, 2021, 7:55pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Dogger Bank
Just watched Matt Dean's interview with Jason Stockdale and Andrew Pettit. As mentioned when asked they said Fenty was paid for the shares given to him by the Mariners Trust. The guy has no shame but questions have to be asked of the Trust. One of the reasons I didn't join as they clearly bowed down to the bully instead of standing up to him.

Can't we just let the past go now.  The deadwood have gone.
Let's look forward .
Posted by: Dogger Bank, May 5, 2021, 8:04pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Cambs Mariner

Can't we just let the past go now.  The deadwood have gone.
Let's look forward .

It was mentioned in the interview so it's relevant and something that shouldn't be forgotten. The Trust showed extremely weak leadership in giving Fenty those shares and made them absolutely irrelevant in relation to the club.
Posted by: aldi_01, May 5, 2021, 8:08pm; Reply: 4
Was it a case of the trust being spineless or a bully blackmailing them in to making a decision which only benefitted the bully?
Posted by: Dogger Bank, May 5, 2021, 8:11pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from aldi_01
Was it a case of the trust being spineless or a bully blackmailing them in to making a decision which only benefitted the bully?

Both.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 5, 2021, 8:16pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from aldi_01

Very poor form to effectively get 200k from a threat and decide to cash in.
Posted by: ska face, May 5, 2021, 8:21pm; Reply: 7
I beg you, please, understand how a vote works.

It’s been 9 years. Please, no more of this.

9. Years.
Posted by: Heisenberg, May 5, 2021, 8:24pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from ska face
I beg you, please, understand how a vote works.

It’s been 9 years. Please, no more of this.

9. Years.

Fenty gave the trust no choice at all, it seemed like blackmail at the time.
Posted by: Dogger Bank, May 5, 2021, 8:34pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Heisenberg

Fenty gave the trust no choice at all, it seemed like blackmail at the time.

It was blackmail but why didn't the Trust have a choice....? They should have stood firm. It wasn't in the best interests of the club for Fenty to be given those shares. What has happened since that time and the decisions made have proved that. FFS we're back in the National League.
Posted by: realist, May 5, 2021, 8:40pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Dogger Bank

It was blackmail but why didn't the Trust have a choice....? They should have stood firm. It wasn't in the best interests of the club for Fenty to be given those shares. What has happened since that time and the decisions made have proved that. FFS we're back in the National League.

Leave it. It was a democratic vote by the members of the trust. Unfortunately I don’t think we will get a say anymore.
Posted by: Dogger Bank, May 5, 2021, 8:53pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from realist

Leave it. It was a democratic vote by the members of the trust. Unfortunately I don’t think we will get a say anymore.

I won't leave it at all. As a fan for 40 plus years I have every right to be disgruntled with the Trust's decision to fold. You're right though, it was a democratic decision. It was just the wrong one and everyone knows it.
Posted by: ska face, May 5, 2021, 9:07pm; Reply: 12
Should have done something about it at the time then. 9 YEARS AGO.

If you’re that ársed, feel free to go & collect the money from John Fenty.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 5, 2021, 9:07pm; Reply: 13
It wasn’t just dealing with a bullŷ.  He did threaten to sell Liam Hearn.  Was he mad enough to this out of spite if he did not get his own way?  Think May and flag-snapping etc.  Yes he is.

Could the Trust have taken the risk?

The Trust could not win.

Posted by: Dogger Bank, May 5, 2021, 9:18pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from ska face
Should have done something about it at the time then. 9 YEARS AGO.

If you’re that ársed, feel free to go & collect the money from John Fenty.

Who cares if it was 9 years ago. It's contributed in Fenty taking money out of the club he didn't deserve now. Stop trying to defend it you clown.
Posted by: ska face, May 5, 2021, 9:27pm; Reply: 15
How has it? From where I’m standing, one group of people decided to sell THEIR shares to someone else, and 9 years later 2 other people bought them with their money.

Your position in this is what? Some bore moaning 9 years too late, who didn’t do anything at the time?
Posted by: Dogger Bank, May 5, 2021, 9:52pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from ska face
How has it? From where I’m standing, one group of people decided to sell THEIR shares to someone else, and 9 years later 2 other people bought them with their money.

Your position in this is what? Some bore moaning 9 years too late, who didn’t do anything at the time?

They gave away shares that ultimately gave Fenty money now he doesn't deserve and more control of the club at the time....look how that's worked out FFS. Shares that were donated to them.

Condoning it makes you nothing more than an idiot.

Posted by: Heisenberg, May 5, 2021, 10:22pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Dogger Bank

Yep, you’re right. But Fenty was an illegitimate there, he knew the trust were worried that he’d hurt their club on purpose. God, the signs were there years ago with hindsight.
Posted by: Heisenberg, May 5, 2021, 10:23pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
It wasn’t just dealing with a bullŷ.  He did threaten to sell Liam Hearn.  Was he mad enough to this out of spite if he did not get his own way?  Think May and flag-snapping etc.  Yes he is.

Could the Trust have taken the risk?

The Trust could not win.

That’s how I remember it too.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, May 5, 2021, 10:39pm; Reply: 19
Great interview.

The 200k thing is absolutely disgusting. I don't blame the Trust at all. Fenty's argument at the time made some sense - he wasn't willing to be the sole funder of the club but not have majority share. But upon leaving the only honourable thing to do is to hand those shares over for free as he no longer needed them to retain control. To charge full whack for those shares is fcuking unforgiveable.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 5, 2021, 10:46pm; Reply: 20
I agree with Dogger on this, but I think he’s drawn the wrong conclusion about not joining the Trust. He should have joined then to cast his vote, and he should join now to avoid something like that happening again. Those who didn’t join are as much to blame as those members who voted to support the handover of the shares.
Posted by: davmariner, May 5, 2021, 11:48pm; Reply: 21
I’m just pleased he’s now the past. UTM and in Jason and Andrew we trust.
Posted by: DB, May 6, 2021, 4:54am; Reply: 22
Both Jason and Andrew wouldn't be drawn into commenting on the past and want it to be left where it is in the past and move on to a positive future with a new culture.

I wasn't a member of the trust in the past but I am now. I just agree with what both of them have said, draw a line and leave the past where it is. It is time to move on as a trust to a new and better future with the club. Let the past go into the history books to be remembered and not forgotten.
Posted by: buckstown, May 6, 2021, 7:53am; Reply: 23
What a pleasure to listen to these guys. They seem genuinely excited about the position they're in and the opportunities ahead
Posted by: MarinerMal, May 6, 2021, 1:16pm; Reply: 24
Enjoyed the interview. They seemed honest and up front about what they intend to do.

Rebuilding the infrastructure and the culture of the football club is absolutely essential. Fenty has a lot to answer for about how he neglected those over his disastrous time in charge of the club.

It doesn't seem like a new stadium will happen anytime soon though. I wonder if that went out of the window when Shutes backed out?

Good luck to them.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 6, 2021, 4:22pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from MarinerMal
Enjoyed the interview. They seemed honest and up front about what they intend to do.

Rebuilding the infrastructure and the culture of the football club is absolutely essential. Fenty has a lot to answer for about how he neglected those over his disastrous time in charge of the club.

It doesn't seem like a new stadium will happen anytime soon though. I wonder if that went out of the window when Shutes backed out?

Good luck to them.

don't think its gone out of the window, but it's not an immediate priority. they have to get their principles and ethos established within the club first of all, and get everybody working together.
think it's pretty obvious the whole club is in a mess.the staff and Hurst in particular need help and support.
as they said it's no use spunking millions on a vanity project when we can't even fill BP
Posted by: MarinerMal, May 6, 2021, 4:31pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from forza ivano

don't think its gone out of the window, but it's not an immediate priority. they have to get their principles and ethos established within the club first of all, and get everybody working together.
think it's pretty obvious the whole club is in a mess.the staff and Hurst in particular need help and support.
as they said it's no use spunking millions on a vanity project when we can't even fill BP

Yeah, I'm not saying it is a bad thing and I think they have their priorities right. I just mentioned that because Shutes always seemed to me to be more interested in the stadium project.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 6, 2021, 4:45pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from MarinerMal

Yeah, I'm not saying it is a bad thing and I think they have their priorities right. I just mentioned that because Shutes always seemed to me to be more interested in the stadium project.

that's true, and they mentioned that Shutes didn't have the same GTFC background , so perhaps was less enthused by the whole project than they were.
One point - they are obviously coming with fresh eyes, and are very open to the possibility of BP being redeveloped.But i wonder if this is a bit of a political ploy to get a better deal for GTFC viz a vis a Freemo/Docks stadium. You know the scenario  - thanks for the offer of the Freemo stadium, but the sums don't add up ,and anyway it makes more sense just to say at BP. As they start to walk away, suddenly the other parties start to make the deal a whole lot more attractive.
Got to remember these 2 are professional investors and negotiators
Posted by: GrimExile, May 6, 2021, 4:54pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Dogger Bank

I won't leave it at all. As a fan for 40 plus years I have every right to be disgruntled with the Trust's decision to fold. You're right though, it was a democratic decision. It was just the wrong one and everyone knows it.

As you are not a member of the Trust I think you have an absolute nerve to criticise it and those of us that are members. The Trust voted to gift those shares to Mr Fenty for what at the time seemed to be the right reason. Certainly I would agree that with the benefit of hindsight that decision was more than possibly naive, but at the time it seemed the way forward. We all voted for what we thought was the best for the club at that time. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Posted by: Azimuth, May 6, 2021, 5:24pm; Reply: 29
An impressive pair, highly intelligent, very calm, humble and grounded with vision and understated drive and ambition, It is clear to see they want and recognise change is needed and are prepared to find the expertise to assist where required.
Lets all hope for positive times ahead and the green shoots of success in the future.
Posted by: realist, May 6, 2021, 5:53pm; Reply: 30
Talk is cheap and easy. We have had plenty of that in the past. This is why I am not fawning over the new owners until I see something positive like you lot are. A couple of interviews and you are coming in your pants. I have seen too many false dawns.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 6, 2021, 5:58pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from realist
Talk is cheap and easy. We have had plenty of that in the past. This is why I am not fawning over the new owners until I see something positive like you lot are. A couple of interviews and you are coming in your pants. I have seen too many false dawns.

Said it before and I'll say it again... What a fun sponge your really are...
You're talking about 2 highly successful businessmen both with knowledge and expertise in investment and building businesses, it's not as though they're John Fenty clones!..
If you want to know more about these 2 and understand why we are "coming in our pants" do some research on their background and then tell me they are talking out their ars#s!!..
Posted by: Meza, May 6, 2021, 6:30pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from realist

Really how many chairman have you seen take over the club, you must be dead old.  This is what gets me about some people that allegedly support GTFC (i couldn't give 2 sh*ts how many season tickets youve bought) cant you just be happy for once you you bloody fun sponge.

If i had the ability i would cleanse BP of all the moaning barstewards.
Posted by: DB, May 6, 2021, 6:49pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from realist

Several weeks ago I posted a thread on the best Grimsby Chairmen, Fenty's regime excluded. All got positive views and as I recall no negative ones.

So which chairman are you referring to? and in which era?

Put up or shut up and move forward like the rest of us.
Posted by: realist, May 6, 2021, 8:19pm; Reply: 34
No fun sponge, I believe in action and not just words. I do hope it works out but  seen nothing to convince me yet.
Fenty was a successful businessman but excrement at running a football club, so why will these two succeed with no experience?
Remember when Runaway was appointed?  You lot virtually called him the new Messiah and look how that turned out. I dont think a bit of caution is misplaced.
Posted by: aldi_01, May 6, 2021, 8:31pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from realist
No fun sponge, I believe in action and not just words. I do hope it works out but  seen nothing to convince me yet.
Fenty was a successful businessman but excrement at running a football club, so why will these two succeed with no experience?
Remember when Runaway was appointed?  You lot virtually called him the new Messiah and look how that turned out. I dont think a bit of caution is misplaced.

There’s successful and then there’s the level these two operate at...even their words demonstrate how far ahead of Fenty and his no mark mates they are...
Posted by: forza ivano, May 6, 2021, 8:38pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from aldi_01

There’s successful and then there’s the level these two operate at...even their words demonstrate how far ahead of Fenty and his no mark mates they are...

as Tony Butcher said on Radio Humberside a couple of months ago; Fenty is the financial equivalent of Alfreton, whilst these 2 would equate to Burnley, not Glazer rich, but seriously, bloody wealthy

i would add that on a moral scale Fenty would be Immingham Town and these 2 would be Leicester City
Posted by: gytone, May 6, 2021, 8:39pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from realist

I bet your a barrel of laughs at a party......miserable girl private 😡🖕
Posted by: AussieMariner, May 6, 2021, 8:46pm; Reply: 38

Fenty was a successful businessman who thought he could run a football club.

These guys are extremely successful businessmen who admit that they don’t know how to run a football club but are prepared to pay people that do.

We’ve often said wouldn’t it be great if one of us won a lottery and could buy the club. Instead we’ve got 2 genuine supporters who didn’t need to win a lottery because they became wealthy through endeavour and expertise and they bought the club despite knowing it’s not a good investment.

If anyone has won a lottery it’s us the supporters.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 6, 2021, 10:23pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from realist

I’m not sure what you’d expect them to do after 36 odd hours apart from let everyone know their statement of intent which is a box they’ve ticked.

Generally people who are successful in business do what they say “they’re personally” going to do especially when they come out and say it publicly.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 8, 2021, 10:51am; Reply: 40
Quoted from realist

so which of these positive changes have you missed Realist?

1) the millstone that has been around the club's neck for the last 16 years has been paid off and 'has left the building'
2) there is a new Board of Directors and the hangers on, who have contributed zilch, have also been binned off
3) the pitches at Cheapside are currently being relaid and the layout re configured to give them more space
4) the new Fanzone is well under way
5) They have promoted the Trust and as a direct result the Trust now have 400+ new members and are over £5000 richer
6) the pitch at BP is being relaid from next week, and (I think this is right), a new irrigation system is being installed
7) the new arrangements for season tickets are being announced next week
8 ) an external consultant has been brought in to audit/inspect the club's activities
9) Sam Strandt and an external lawyer are already working on the BCorps certification
10) a fans survey has gone out and has already been filled in by hundreds

all within the first 48 hours of taking over

how about we keep this thread open, in order to keep track of all the new developments?
Posted by: RonMariner, May 8, 2021, 10:58am; Reply: 41
Quoted from forza ivano

1) the millstone that has been around the club's neck for the last 16 years has been paid off and 'has left the building'
2) there is a new Board of Directors and the hangers on, who have contributed zilch, have also been binned off
3) the pitches at Cheapside are currently being relaid and the layout re configured to give them more space
5) They have promoted the Trust and as a direct result the Trust now have 400+ new members and are over £5000 richer
6) the pitch at BP is being relaid from next week, and (I think this is right), a new irrigation system is being installed
8 ) an external consultant has been brought in to audit/inspect the club's activities
9) Sam Strandt and an external lawyer are already working on the BCorps certification

how about we keep this thread open, in order to keep track of all the new developments?

Yes, but apart from that what have the Romans ever done for us?
Posted by: forza ivano, May 10, 2021, 4:14pm; Reply: 42
https://twitter.com/officialgtfc/status/1391735615729934337

Your todger twitching yet Realist? ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 10, 2021, 4:25pm; Reply: 43
How can they achieve all these improvements in 2 days when Fenty etc made things worse over the last 18 years?  Well, how long have you got?
Posted by: Squinter, May 10, 2021, 4:35pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
How can they achieve all these improvements in 2 days when Fenty etc made things worse over the last 18 years?  Well, how long have you got?

More importantly what are the club now going to do with the 20 Aldi value watering cans that Fenty bought in the summer ?
Posted by: geir, May 10, 2021, 4:53pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from forza ivano
https://twitter.com/officialgtfc/status/1391735615729934337

Your todger twitching yet Realist? ;D ;D ;D

Damn... another opportunity wasted... they obviously should have made an interview with someone from the club with the machines in the background.
Or.... is this a sign of the new times ahead... noisy machines and interviews as separate entities?  ??)
Posted by: mariner91, May 10, 2021, 5:16pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Squinter

More importantly what are the club now going to do with the 20 Aldi value watering cans that Fenty bought in the summer ?

I'll have a couple of them, can never have too many.
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, May 10, 2021, 6:36pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from realist

They’ve already started sorting out shite pitch and training pitch. On day 1.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, May 10, 2021, 6:41pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from geir

Damn... another opportunity wasted... they obviously should have made an interview with someone from the club with the machines in the background.
Or.... is this a sign of the new times ahead... noisy machines and interviews as separate entities?  ??)

;D was going to post exactly this

NNUURRRRNUUURRRRNUURRR how did the NUURRRRNUUURRRRR about? NURRRNURRRNUURRRRRRR what sort of NUUURRRRRR are you? NUUUUURRRRRRRR
Posted by: mimma, May 10, 2021, 7:46pm; Reply: 49
Didn't old Holloway use to tell us that the only permanent thing he left at Blackpool was a pop up sprinkler system?
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, May 10, 2021, 8:00pm; Reply: 50
Bit worried about these sprinklers! I know what the wind is like blowing the rain into The Pontoon the odd game, I don't want soaking before every game!   ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: wigworld, May 10, 2021, 8:36pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from Squinter

I imagine they're in the back of the ex-non-chairman's car.
Posted by: aldi_01, May 10, 2021, 8:54pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from wigworld

I imagine they're in the back of the ex-non-chairman's car.

You missed a ‘non’ out...
Posted by: forza ivano, May 12, 2021, 4:39pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from forza ivano

11) they get rid of Day within a week. a move guarenteed to increase the happiness levels of all GTFC fans
Posted by: forza ivano, May 21, 2021, 4:02pm; Reply: 54
12) got rid of Nick Dale - yet to hear anyone who had  a good word to say about him
13) became founder members of Fair Game (obviously Fenty would also have been at the forefront of this, had he still been around........ maybe not ;D ;D ;D)
Posted by: moosey_club, May 21, 2021, 6:26pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from Squinter

Lot 57 - 77 at the next Prestige Auctions sale , get registered early as interest is expected to be high...complete with a certificate of authenticity signed by Nick Dale.
Posted by: forza ivano, June 8, 2021, 3:34pm; Reply: 56
BUMP!

14) Appointed first ever female directors in GTFC's near 150 year old history
15) Headhunted a CEO with a real quality c.v.
16) Announced BP as the venue for Broadley Legends Day (another indictment of the previous regime that this needed to be actioned)

Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, June 8, 2021, 11:51pm; Reply: 57
Yehhhhhh bloody tyre kickers. Who needs 'em?
Posted by: chicaneuk, June 9, 2021, 11:06am; Reply: 58
One can’t help but wonder what the old board and chairman were spending so much time on when you see what’s been achieved in such a short amount of time with the new owners..
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 7:02pm