Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 30, 2021, 11:12pm

Looks like an interesting fight for the 2 promotion spots, some big hitters up there.

The devil in me would like to see Chesterfield & Notts County spend a little more time down there but then again would it suit us if one of them got promoted?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/national-league/table
Posted by: mimma, April 30, 2021, 11:31pm; Reply: 1
Looking at that table, I notice our old friends from Barnet are almost certain for relegation. 10 points adrift with games running out.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, April 30, 2021, 11:32pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from mimma
Looking at that table, I notice our old friends from Barnet are almost certain for relegation. 10 points adrift with games running out.

Not likely given there is no relegation this season
Posted by: thefish, April 30, 2021, 11:39pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Not likely given there is no relegation this season

So, with that in mind, what’s the theme next season?
Posted by: mimma, April 30, 2021, 11:49pm; Reply: 4
Lucky barstewards!
Posted by: ginnywings, May 1, 2021, 2:30am; Reply: 5
Sh1t Southern teams getting a stay of execution. Stevenage last year, Barnet this.

B@stards.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, May 1, 2021, 4:08am; Reply: 6
I just want Stockport and Halifax to stay down
Posted by: ska face, May 1, 2021, 4:36am; Reply: 7
Stockport are absolutely coined at the minute & throwing money at it, they signed Paddy Madden from Fleetwood for £250k and about £3500 a week. So for that reason, I hope they go up this year.
Posted by: lukeo, May 1, 2021, 5:50am; Reply: 8
Aslong as Torquay don't go up, that way I have 3 localish teams to me to visit (sorry guys)
Posted by: GollyGTFC, May 1, 2021, 9:22am; Reply: 9
There will only be 23 teams in the National League next season unless they give Ebbsfleet United a retrospective reprieve after they were relegated at the end of the 2019/20 season before Macclesfield Town went out of business.
Posted by: Bigdog, May 1, 2021, 10:23am; Reply: 10
Quoted from ska face
Stockport are absolutely coined at the minute & throwing money at it, they signed Paddy Madden from Fleetwood for £250k and about £3500 a week. So for that reason, I hope they go up this year.

Ahh.. Stockport County, JF's original favourite go to "saved us from being" club ..How fitting if they get promoted..
Posted by: pontoonlew, May 1, 2021, 10:37am; Reply: 11
Really want Stockport to go up purely due to the massive budget they’ll have next season
Posted by: aldi_01, May 1, 2021, 10:38am; Reply: 12
Quoted from Bigdog

Ahh.. Stockport County, JF's original favourite go to "saved us from being" club ..How fitting if they get promoted..

I remember this...accept abject failure, it could be worse, we could more excrement. Such an innovative outlook on life...
Posted by: Heisenberg, May 1, 2021, 10:45am; Reply: 13
Quoted from pontoonlew
Really want Stockport to go up purely due to the massive budget they’ll have next season

Agree with this one.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 1, 2021, 11:04am; Reply: 14
Quoted from ska face

And also Harry Cardwell...
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 1, 2021, 11:36am; Reply: 15
Quoted from lukeo
Aslong as Torquay don't go up, that way I have 3 localish teams to me to visit (sorry guys)

I agree. One of the very few things to look forward to next season is a weekend in Torquay.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 1, 2021, 1:15pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Les Brechin

I agree. One of the very few things to look forward to next season is a weekend in Torquay.

Unless the muppets who run the National League make it a night game. You watch they’ll even make us travel further than we need to on Boxing Day.

When you look at the NL table it will be a competitive league next season there are some clubs down there that have good set ups and as Hurst said in his interview yesterday (which was quite interesting) a few will spend big.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 1, 2021, 1:24pm; Reply: 17
I always remember the NL giving us localism games at Christmas. It was the FL that gave us games against non-local teams.
Posted by: lukeo, May 1, 2021, 1:37pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Les Brechin

I still haven't seen you to buy you that pint I owe you from years ago 😂 so fingers crossed it happens!

With inflation I probably owe you 6 now 😂
Posted by: Harry Haddock, May 1, 2021, 10:53pm; Reply: 19
I'd prefer Chesterfield and Notts Country to stay down as they'll be good away matches next season, providing we can go to away games then  :-/
Posted by: Abdul19, May 1, 2021, 11:02pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I always remember the NL giving us localism games at Christmas. It was the FL that gave us games against non-local teams.

Aye, the Boxing Day/ NYD double header.
Posted by: LH, May 2, 2021, 7:58am; Reply: 21
Super excited for King’s Lynn away on Boxing Day. 😬
Posted by: aldi_01, May 2, 2021, 8:00am; Reply: 22
Already planning Kings Lynn on Boxing Day...although we could get Notts or Chesterfield I guess...
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 2, 2021, 8:08am; Reply: 23
Quoted from aldi_01
Already planning Kings Lynn on Boxing Day...although we could get Notts or Chesterfield I guess...

If they don’t get promoted Hartlepool would be a possibility too but King Lynn would make sense.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 2, 2021, 8:25am; Reply: 24
The Three Kings (Lynn)
Posted by: lukeo, May 2, 2021, 8:56am; Reply: 25
Quoted from HertsGTFC

If they don’t get promoted Hartlepool would be a possibility too but King Lynn would make sense.

How would it make sense or have I missed the point?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 2, 2021, 9:09am; Reply: 26
Quoted from lukeo

How would it make sense or have I missed the point?

Similar sense to Macclesfield away on Boxing Day like in 2014.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, May 2, 2021, 10:55am; Reply: 27
If I remember correctly that year Macc away was because Lincoln requested to play Mansfield instead of us over the Christmas period. The one thing the NL trys to get right is localish derbies around Chrismas,
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 2, 2021, 12:32pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Madeleymariner
If I remember correctly that year Macc away was because Lincoln requested to play Mansfield instead of us over the Christmas period. The one thing the NL trys to get right is localish derbies around Chrismas,

Yeah I think they avoided us the season after when if memory serves me right it was away at a rained off Guisley.
Posted by: NorfolkImp, May 2, 2021, 1:13pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from LH
Super excited for King’s Lynn away on Boxing Day. 😬

Have you seen the away end? 😳

Posted by: Heisenberg, May 2, 2021, 4:32pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Have you seen the away end? 😳

We’ll need the home ends too.
Posted by: lukeo, May 3, 2021, 7:39am; Reply: 31
For Kings Lynn away everyone should like into the mick Wright terrace.. Side stand, slanted roof.. Plenty of noise!
Posted by: GollyGTFC, May 3, 2021, 4:18pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from aldi_01

23 teams in the NL next season. We might have a Christmas/New Year double header against "Bye".
Posted by: GollyGTFC, May 3, 2021, 4:28pm; Reply: 33
One team falling away from the NL promotion race is Notts County.

On 24th March they sacked Neal Ardley with the following league record...

P 26 W 13 D 7 L 6 Pts 46 (1.77 per match)

Not spectacular and they benefited from Dover refusing to continue as they lost at Dover in October.

The following day they appointed Ian Burchnall (yeah, I've never heard of him either) and so far he has achieved...

P 9 W 2 D 2 L 5 Pts 8 (0.88 per match)

Pretty much half what Ardley was getting in points per match and they have plummeted out of the play-off places when they were in contention.

Everyone reading this post, please remember this if Hurst has us around 5th or 6th after about 2/3 the way through next season.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 3, 2021, 6:35pm; Reply: 34
all getting very tight after today's games. Torquay got a huge win at Chesterfield,whilst Hartlepool lost at play off hopefuls Bromley.
Stockport continue their charge, but you get the feeling that 5 points is too much to make up on Torquay. Got to be strong favourites for the play offs, which given their money, would be a good result for us.
play off places currently held by Sutton, Stockport, Poolies, Halifax, Wrexham & Bromley. Chesterfield and Eastleigh are close behind. Notts County look like they are falling away, and have a big game against Sutton tomorrow night
Posted by: tashee69, May 3, 2021, 6:42pm; Reply: 35
Bromley are my friends team and they’re putting a useful run together under their new manager. In Michael Cheek, they have a goal scorer too. As an outside bet, would be worth a couple of quid
Posted by: The Yard Dog, May 3, 2021, 7:12pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from tashee69
Bromley are my friends team and they’re putting a useful run together under their new manager. In Michael Cheek, they have a goal scorer too. As an outside bet, would be worth a couple of quid

Michael Cheek is the leading scorer on 22, no prolific scorer in the league, after Cheek the next is Kabongo Tshimanga on 18, Alex Reid 17, Danilo Orsi-Dadomo 16, John Rooney 15 then a few on 13, 12, 11 & 9, although most teams still have 8 games to still play.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 3, 2021, 7:28pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from GollyGTFC
One team falling away from the NL promotion race is Notts County.

On 24th March they sacked Neal Ardley with the following league record...

P 26 W 13 D 7 L 6 Pts 46 (1.77 per match)

Not spectacular and they benefited from Dover refusing to continue as they lost at Dover in October.

The following day they appointed Ian Burchnall (yeah, I've never heard of him either) and so far he has achieved...

P 9 W 2 D 2 L 5 Pts 8 (0.88 per match)

Pretty much half what Ardley was getting in points per match and they have plummeted out of the play-off places when they were in contention.

Everyone reading this post, please remember this if Hurst has us around 5th or 6th after about 2/3 the way through next season.

I've been to Notts a few times since their relegation and it's a toxic place with fans in there. In a 23 team league, 1.77 PPG returns about 78 points which is enough to finish there or thereabouts. They deserve to fall away getting rid of Ardley in that situation.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 4, 2021, 7:20pm; Reply: 38

Big win for Notts County against title chasing Sutton.

FT....Notts Co 3-2 Sutton
Posted by: GollyGTFC, May 4, 2021, 8:12pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from promotion plaice

Advantage Torquay.
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 4, 2021, 9:22pm; Reply: 40
Although King's Lynn is not too far away (about 80 miles), it does take about 7 hours to get there.  ;D
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 4, 2021, 9:23pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Les Brechin
Although King's Lynn is not too far away (about 80 miles), it does take about 7 hours to get there.  ;D

.....and 40 years back in time
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 4, 2021, 9:26pm; Reply: 42

Am happy with that. Less chance of Sutton going up, means more chance of me going to a game on the bus. Actually I can even walk there. 😁
Posted by: LH, May 4, 2021, 10:46pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Les Brechin

I was sentenced to posted to nearby RAF Marham for three years and my record is 1hr 45 but that was at 2 in the morning coming home. I never want to go on the A17/47 ever again.
Posted by: DB, May 5, 2021, 6:26am; Reply: 44
Quoted from Les Brechin

According to the AA 2 hours

Notts County 1hr 45 mins

nearest away Chesterfield 1 hr 30 mins.

Posted by: Humbercod, May 5, 2021, 6:38am; Reply: 45
Quoted from Les Brechin

Cycled home from there in less time than that.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 8, 2021, 8:42pm; Reply: 46
Few more twists and turns today - Torquay stay top after 0-0 draw with play off hopefuls Bromley, Sutton won to close the gap, but Poolies sufferd shock 4-2 defeat at home to Maidenhead. Just wonder if Stockport ,who are a great run, might sneak it at the death as the top 3 keep dropping points and they are at home to Torquay next Saturday
Big boys all won , so it's still very tight for those play off places
Posted by: EY Mariner, May 9, 2021, 12:41am; Reply: 47
Quoted from LH

I was sentenced to posted to nearby RAF Marham for three years and my record is 1hr 45 but that was at 2 in the morning coming home. I never want to go on the A17/47 ever again.

I know your pain very well.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 11, 2021, 9:45pm; Reply: 48
Stockport drop points, so it's back in Sutton's hands as they cruise to victory v Woking.
Will surely be hoping for a Stockport Torquay draw on Saturday. Bromley, County & Chesterfield all win to maintain their play off pushes
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 16, 2021, 12:25pm; Reply: 49

If anyone is interested the top of the table clash between Stockport & Torquay has just started LIVE on BT Sport 1.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, May 16, 2021, 12:42pm; Reply: 50
Who do we want to go up then? For me it is teams with most money behind them. Increases our slight advantage in that respect and boy do we need to grab any advantage we can possibly get.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 16, 2021, 12:48pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Who do we want to go up then? For me it is teams with most money behind them. Increases our slight advantage in that respect and boy do we need to grab any advantage we can possibly get.

Yeah agreed, teams with the most money.

I didn't realise Harry Cardwell was on loan at Stockport.

Posted by: promotion plaice, May 16, 2021, 12:52pm; Reply: 52

Stockport 1-0 Torquay

Sutton Utd will be overjoyed.

Posted by: LH, May 16, 2021, 12:52pm; Reply: 53
That’s a nice finish!

National League fact of the day: Edgely Park has the biggest telly in England behind one of the goals.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, May 16, 2021, 1:24pm; Reply: 54
Six of the top seven are proper ex-league clubs now. No illusions, it's going to be really tough to win it outright. You have to beat most of the Tinpots home and away and then try and get the edge against the top clubs in the head to heads.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 16, 2021, 1:31pm; Reply: 55

Latest....Stockport 1-2 Torquay

Pressure back on Sutton.

Good game.
Posted by: Youngy, May 16, 2021, 1:42pm; Reply: 56

Latest....Stockport 1-2 Torquay

Pressure back on Sutton.

Good game.

And now 2-2. Really good game.

The top of the National League this season would easily compete in league 2.
Posted by: Youngy, May 16, 2021, 1:50pm; Reply: 57
Looking at the table and the play off race is still wide open. If Eastleigh in 10th win there games in hand they should bank a play off place, Halifax (who play Chesterfield on the last day) and Bromley (who play Notts Country on the last day) still have a great chance,

And on Tuesday night it's Wrexham v Notts County. Winner of that will breathe a lot easier.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 16, 2021, 1:52pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from Youngy

And now 2-2. Really good game.

The top of the National League this season would easily compete in league 2.

Their lies the problem probably ten clubs who would fancy their chances to win promotion , just hope we can attract the right calibre of player we'll need them for sure .. edit Torquay Stockport draw 2-2 leaving Sutton needing to beat either Hartlepool or Barnet to win the title. Looks like one long journey gone
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 16, 2021, 5:15pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Their lies the problem probably ten clubs who would fancy their chances to win promotion , just hope we can attract the right calibre of player we'll need them for sure .. edit Torquay Stockport draw 2-2 leaving Sutton needing to beat either Hartlepool or Barnet to win the title. Looks like one long journey gone

Not for me it ain’t 🙁.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, May 16, 2021, 6:14pm; Reply: 60
For me let it be Torquay and Sutton go up, leaves me with 6 games within about an hours drive :)
Posted by: Abdul19, May 16, 2021, 7:35pm; Reply: 61
Hope Hartlepool don't go up, always found them an unpleasant bunch, 'proper' club or not.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 16, 2021, 10:21pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from Abdul19
Hope Hartlepool don't go up, always found them an unpleasant bunch, 'proper' club or not.

What other than the odd troll that posted on here?
Posted by: Abdul19, May 17, 2021, 6:26am; Reply: 63
Some reprobates outside their ground and a fella laughing at Ashley Chambers having a massive hole in his leg, so yeah, about 4 of them. But we all have our petty grudges 😂
Posted by: Davec, May 17, 2021, 7:04am; Reply: 64
Wasn't there a Hartlepool fan on this forum trying to start a rivalry with us once?
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 17, 2021, 11:57am; Reply: 65
Anyone but Torquay to go up.

One of the very, very, few things to look forward to next season, will be another weekender in Torquay, though having said that it'll probably be a Tuesday night game in January if they don't go up.
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 17, 2021, 8:10pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from Abdul19
Some reprobates outside their ground and a fella laughing at Ashley Chambers having a massive hole in his leg, so yeah, about 4 of them. But we all have our petty grudges 😂

I don't have a problem with them although a game I was at up there I think a Town fan got stabbed in some scrapping behind one of the goals, can't remember which game it was.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 17, 2021, 9:05pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from Davec
Wasn't there a Hartlepool fan on this forum trying to start a rivalry with us once?

No , no ....he was on here informing us how MASSIVE they were compared to us and thats how they could sign Magnay, Amond etc.

Posted by: lukeo, May 18, 2021, 12:03pm; Reply: 68
Torquay away first game away fans are allowed back please!!
Posted by: Hagrid, May 18, 2021, 12:16pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from lukeo
Torquay away first game away fans are allowed back please!!

no thanks
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 22, 2021, 4:57pm; Reply: 70

Torquay only manage to draw at home to Barnet, Sutton now 2 points ahead with a game in hand in the chase for the automatic promotion spot.
Posted by: Youngy, May 22, 2021, 7:20pm; Reply: 71
Sutton play Hartlepool tomorrow and Hartlepool need to win to get back into the top 2 play off places.

Sutton/Torquay, Hartlepool, Stockport and Notts County all guaranteed a play off spot but any two of Wrexham, Chesterfield, Bromley, Eastleigh and FC Halifax can still get into the final spots going into the last game (though Eastleigh have a game in hand). Halifax play Chesterfield on the last day which is pretty much a winner takes all game. Exciting stuff, especially with fans back in the grounds.
Posted by: mimma, May 26, 2021, 12:57am; Reply: 72
Hartlepool away when we won the 4th. div title was the worst trouble I have ever seen at a Town game. It started inside the ground when the poolie mob walked across the pitch to get at the Town fans. The fighting must have lasted a good twenty minutes until police reinforcements arrived to restore order. One Town fan was stabbed and scores more from both sides ended up in hospital. After the game it flared again outside. Town coaches had their windows smashed with bricks.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 26, 2021, 10:57am; Reply: 73
Eastleigh only drew their game in hand last night, so it means that 5 clubs are within 2 points of each other for the final play off place (and with 2 of those, Halifax and Chesterfield) playing each other
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 26, 2021, 11:56am; Reply: 74
Quoted from forza ivano
Eastleigh only drew their game in hand last night, so it means that 5 clubs are within 2 points of each other for the final play off place (and with 2 of those, Halifax and Chesterfield) playing each other

Going to be very interesting with 5 teams fighting for those last 2 play-off places at the weekend.

6  Wrexham      41     19     10     12     63     42     21     67
7  Chesterfield     41     20     6     15     58     42     16     66
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8  Eastleigh     41     18     12     11     49     38     11     66
9  Bromley     41     18     12     11     62     53     9     66
10 FC Halifax     41     19     8     14     62     52     10     65

Posted by: promotion plaice, May 29, 2021, 12:53pm; Reply: 75

Latest....Halifax 0-1 Chesterfield.  

Chesterfield go above Wrexham into 6th.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 29, 2021, 1:06pm; Reply: 76
Just watching Shaun Pearson being Shaun Pearson in the Daggers v Wrexham match....a couple of head in clearances from the big man
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 29, 2021, 1:11pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from moosey_club
Just watching Shaun Pearson being Shaun Pearson in the Daggers v Wrexham match....a couple of head in clearances from the big man

Same here, BT Sport 1.

It's tight in the race for the 2 remaining play-off spots

Posted by: Abdul19, May 29, 2021, 1:11pm; Reply: 78
Think the National League names and numbers font looks a bit sunday league - belongs on a Pro Star shirt that's 3 sizes too big.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 29, 2021, 1:12pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from moosey_club

And now a yellow!
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 29, 2021, 1:21pm; Reply: 80

HT....Solihull 2-0 Eastleigh

Looks like Eastleigh's chances of making the play-offs have gone.  
Posted by: Posh Harry, May 29, 2021, 1:39pm; Reply: 81
Wrexham look really poor. Number 11 is dreadful. Daggers much the better team in that first half.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 29, 2021, 1:45pm; Reply: 82
Well deserved goal for the Daggers
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 29, 2021, 1:47pm; Reply: 83

Wrexham remain in the play-offs only on goal difference, squeaky bum time.

Posted by: promotion plaice, May 29, 2021, 1:53pm; Reply: 84

Nasty challenge by the Wrexham lad, straight red and rightly so.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 29, 2021, 1:55pm; Reply: 85

WOW...Bromley 1-0 Notts County.
Posted by: Hagrid, May 29, 2021, 1:59pm; Reply: 86
Chesterfield out as it stands
Posted by: Hagrid, May 29, 2021, 2:00pm; Reply: 87

WOW...Bromley 1-0 Notts County.

Shouldnt be surprised by that PP. bromley got a good side and Notts already in the PO’s
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 29, 2021, 2:02pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from Hagrid

Shouldnt be surprised by that PP. bromley got a good side and Notts already in the PO’s

I was more thinking of the implications of it Hagrid mate, as you say Chesterfield drop out as it stands.

Posted by: Hagrid, May 29, 2021, 2:03pm; Reply: 89
I get you! Sorry!
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 29, 2021, 2:04pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from Hagrid
I get you! Sorry!

No need to be sorry mate  :)

Posted by: buckstown, May 29, 2021, 2:28pm; Reply: 91
Dagenham look ok, might be up there next season. Think their manager is the guy that performed miracles at Macclesfield?
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 29, 2021, 2:29pm; Reply: 92

I feel for Wrexham, so close and yet so far.

13 seasons in the hell hole and still counting poor beggars.
Posted by: Hagrid, May 29, 2021, 2:32pm; Reply: 93
So Hartlepool V Bromley
notts V Chesterfield

Torquay and Stockport await the winners
Posted by: GollyGTFC, May 29, 2021, 2:38pm; Reply: 94
QUARTER-FINAL          SEMI-FINALS              PROMOTION FINAL

__ [2] TORQUAY       __
[5] NOTTS COUNTY __/   [Winner 5 v 6]      \
[6] CHESTERFIELD       (Sat 12 June 12PM)   \__ [Winner 2 v 5 or 6]
(Sat 5 June 4PM)                            /   [Winner 3 v 4 or 7]
                    __ [3] STOCKPORT     __/    (Sun 20 June 2PM)
[4] HARTLEPOOL   __/   [Winner 4 v 7]
[7] BROMLEY            (Sun 13 June 12PM)
(Sun 6 June 4PM)
Posted by: lukeo, May 30, 2021, 7:24am; Reply: 95
Don't care who goes up, selfishly I want Torquay to stay down so that's another trip I can do.. Notts would bring a few (if allowed) so I guess keep them down aswell 😂
Posted by: Davec, May 30, 2021, 7:34am; Reply: 96
I want Stockport to go up, they will have a massive budget next season seeing as so they paid 250k for Madden and are paying him rumoured to be 4k a week wages.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, May 30, 2021, 8:05am; Reply: 97
Never want the monkey abusers to win but for once I’d happily see them batter Bromley to keep them down and another local game in the fixture list for next season’s SE tour .
Posted by: pontoonlew, May 30, 2021, 1:02pm; Reply: 98
I don’t care for the location of any of next seasons clubs, I’d just like rid of the biggest threats next season and that is Stockport by a long way. Failing that, Notts County or Chesterfield
Posted by: MarinerDevil, May 30, 2021, 1:47pm; Reply: 99
With the play-offs finishing on 20th June, we and Southend will have had a six-week head start on the play-off losers.

Definitely seems like the first season back will be our best chance if we can grow a good side quickly.  Going to be very tough.
Posted by: ska face, May 31, 2021, 10:01am; Reply: 100
Keates binned at Wrexham. Owners don’t seem to be hanging about and presumably want some decent content for their behind-closed-doors programme being filmed next year.

They chuck in a few hundred grand and make it all back twice over in advertising? Another problem for us next year.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 31, 2021, 10:08am; Reply: 101
Quoted from MarinerDevil
With the play-offs finishing on 20th June, we and Southend will have had a six-week head start on the play-off losers.

Definitely seems like the first season back will be our best chance if we can grow a good side quickly.  Going to be very tough.

Only if there chairman are very short sighted all clubs in those situations, will , like we had,  will prepare for scenarios and will be ready to push the button on either plan.....its probably the teams going up that may be impacted more, those staying down could easily just "go again"
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 5, 2021, 4:33pm; Reply: 102

Notts County v Chesterfield / National League Elimination Round / 16:00 BT Sport 1

Chesterfield take the lead (28 min)

Oh hang on 1-1 (31 min)

Great atmosphere.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, June 5, 2021, 4:38pm; Reply: 103
If anyone hasn't got BT Sport and fancies watching the game, I've just got it via the BET365 site

Missed the two goals already scored but sounds like a good atmosphere at Meadow Lane
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, June 5, 2021, 4:44pm; Reply: 104
2-1 Chesterfield now, 42nd minute
Posted by: Madeleymariner, June 5, 2021, 4:55pm; Reply: 105
Quite entertaining watching Gavin liabilty Gunning.
Posted by: Davec, June 5, 2021, 5:03pm; Reply: 106
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Quite entertaining watching Gavin liabilty Gunning.

Who could be playing in a higher division than us next season
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, June 5, 2021, 5:33pm; Reply: 107
2-2

70 minutes

Should be a good finish to the game
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 5, 2021, 5:37pm; Reply: 108

Chesterfield should have scored there, one on one with the keeper.

Great game.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, June 5, 2021, 5:39pm; Reply: 109

Chesterfield should have scored there, one on one with the keeper.

Great game.

Totally - probably had too much time to think about what he was going to do

He might rue that miss

Play off games like this are always good to watch as a neutral
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, June 5, 2021, 5:51pm; Reply: 110
3-2 Notts County
90th minute

5 minutes added time for it to be decided
Posted by: Hagrid, June 5, 2021, 5:52pm; Reply: 111
3-2
Horrendous defending
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, June 5, 2021, 5:59pm; Reply: 112
Deserved win for County

But could so easily have gone the other way....

They've still got a lot to do to get out of the NL but they'll be happy enough in Nottingham tonight
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 5, 2021, 6:03pm; Reply: 113

Chesterfield one of our rivals then, didn't realise next season will be their fourth in the National League.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, June 5, 2021, 6:26pm; Reply: 114
Count me in for an away day at Chesterfield. Great day out.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, June 5, 2021, 6:26pm; Reply: 115
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, June 5, 2021, 6:27pm; Reply: 116
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, June 5, 2021, 6:27pm; Reply: 117
Sorry don’t want three days out in chesterfield!
Posted by: Abdul19, June 5, 2021, 8:29pm; Reply: 118
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Sorry don’t want three days out in chesterfield!

You say that, but we played there three times in 97/98!
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, June 5, 2021, 8:58pm; Reply: 119
I’ve seen mariners at chesterfield three times
We have won all three!
Posted by: Poojah, June 5, 2021, 9:51pm; Reply: 120
We have won all three!

Siriki Dembele’s performance there on the opening day in 2017 has to rank amongst one of the most impressive Town debuts I’ve witnessed in the flesh. David Nielsen’s full debut against QPR was pretty impressive, but he’d already had a brief run out against Huddersfield the weekend before.

Can’t think of that many others. Technically, there was a moment in time when Rob Duffy averaged two goals a minute in a Town shirt but I’m not sure that counts.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, June 5, 2021, 10:16pm; Reply: 121
We have won all three!

We've a good record there - won twice in 79/80. Only time I've seen us lose there is when we had about 3k drunks there - probably including the players because we were rubbish but already promoted...

Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 5, 2021, 11:08pm; Reply: 122
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

We've a good record there - won twice in 79/80. Only time I've seen us lose there is when we had about 3k drunks there - probably including the players because we were rubbish but already promoted...

Was that the game in 1990?

Bloody hot day.
Posted by: Abdul19, June 5, 2021, 11:15pm; Reply: 123
Quoted from Poojah

Siriki Dembele’s performance there on the opening day in 2017 has to rank amongst one of the most impressive Town debuts I’ve witnessed in the flesh. David Nielsen’s full debut against QPR was pretty impressive, but he’d already had a brief run out against Huddersfield the weekend before.

Can’t think of that many others. Technically, there was a moment in time when Rob Duffy averaged two goals a minute in a Town shirt but I’m not sure that counts.

Peter Bore and David Smith sprung to my mind
Posted by: Poojah, June 5, 2021, 11:24pm; Reply: 124
Quoted from Abdul19

Peter Bore and David Smith sprung to my mind

Great shouts. Bore with two off the bench and a left wing screamer (before they started calling them ‘snowflakes’) from Smith - I remember both well now you mention them.
Posted by: Posh Harry, June 6, 2021, 7:48am; Reply: 125
Quoted from Poojah

Neil woods away to Preston on the artificial pitch. 2 goals on debut, great day.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 6, 2021, 2:49pm; Reply: 126

Latest....Hartlepool 1-0 Bromley  (14:30 BT Sport 3)

Posted by: promotion plaice, June 6, 2021, 2:52pm; Reply: 127

2-0

Posted by: Hagrid, June 6, 2021, 2:53pm; Reply: 128
Some real chavvy buggers in the stands at Pool
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 6, 2021, 2:56pm; Reply: 129

Rhys Oates looks decent  ;)

3-0
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, June 6, 2021, 2:59pm; Reply: 130

Wish I'd had some money on how this was going to be scored

A switch to the right winger
Posted by: Son of Cod, June 6, 2021, 3:19pm; Reply: 131
Rhys Oates masterclass this. A few players who have been fairly forgettable for us in the past have had good seasons at this level. Reece Hall-Johnson got Player of the Season for Wrexham and apparently Jamal Fyfield has done well at Borehamwood.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, June 6, 2021, 4:54pm; Reply: 132
Last Hartlepool game I watched a few weeks ago you wouldn't know Oates was on the pitch
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, June 6, 2021, 5:06pm; Reply: 133
So 4 ex-League club in the Play-off semis - that's a first I think. The consensus is we want to be rid of Stockport because of their playing budget isn't it?
Posted by: Cayman_mariner, June 6, 2021, 5:21pm; Reply: 134
So 4 ex-League club in the Play-off semis - that's a first I think. The consensus is we want to be rid of Stockport because of their playing budget isn't it?

Either them or Torquay for me Limerick - their manager Gary Johnson has always seemed a bit of a bogey manager for us so wouldn't mind them being gone.
Posted by: Son of Cod, June 7, 2021, 12:46pm; Reply: 135
Hartlepool - If they stay down we get to shout at Dave Challinor, but we do have to return to the place where we were once spanked 8-1 on a Friday night.
Notts County - We're officially the biggest club in the whole of non-league if they go up, but it's a good away day.
Torquay - Absolutely miles away but would be class if we got them on a weekend in August, September, April or May.
Stockport - As has been said, they're gonna be slinging money at it but we haven't played them in ages and I like Edgeley Park.
Posted by: Hagrid, June 7, 2021, 12:49pm; Reply: 136
Torquay for me

its flipping miles away, i wont go, it'll be a tuesday night
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, June 7, 2021, 1:12pm; Reply: 137
Quoted from Son of Cod
Hartlepool - If they stay down we get to shout at Dave Challinor, but we do have to return to the place where we were once spanked 8-1 on a Friday night.
Notts County - We're officially the biggest club in the whole of non-league if they go up, but it's a good away day.
Torquay - Absolutely miles away but would be class if we got them on a weekend in August, September, April or May.
Stockport - As has been said, they're gonna be slinging money at it but we haven't played them in ages and I like Edgeley Park.

I think Wrexham and Stockport might have something to say about that even with Notts staying down. Notts have the stadium but their support is very fickle; when they were challenging for promotion in League 2 they'd get big crowds with some ticket offer on and then plummet to less than 4k on a Tuesday night, and they have shite away support.
Posted by: DB, June 7, 2021, 1:36pm; Reply: 138
Never mind about an away day, what about an away week if the fixtures could be arranged. Torquay on a Saturday, Yeovil on the following Tuesday night, and finally Weymouth on the next Saturday?

Just a thought.
Posted by: Son of Cod, June 7, 2021, 2:58pm; Reply: 139

I think Wrexham and Stockport might have something to say about that even with Notts staying down. Notts have the stadium but their support is very fickle; when they were challenging for promotion in League 2 they'd get big crowds with some ticket offer on and then plummet to less than 4k on a Tuesday night, and they have shite away support.

I was working off the basis that Stockport have been down to the 6th tier and Wrexham have barely ventured into the 2nd tier. Wasn't a serious comment anyway really, "biggest club" is such a silly discussion. Good for winding people up on 1FF though!
Posted by: Heisenberg, June 7, 2021, 5:48pm; Reply: 140

Southend too.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 12, 2021, 12:06pm; Reply: 141

Torquay 1-0 Notts County

(Wright 35 seconds)
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 12, 2021, 12:50pm; Reply: 142

County finish the first half strongly.

HT....Torquay 1-1 Notts County.
Posted by: Hagrid, June 12, 2021, 1:10pm; Reply: 143
2-2
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 12, 2021, 1:22pm; Reply: 144

A flare thrown onto the pitch by the "Torquay Ultras"   8)
Posted by: Heisenberg, June 12, 2021, 1:34pm; Reply: 145
Are the semi finals not 2-legged anymore?
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 12, 2021, 1:42pm; Reply: 146
Quoted from Heisenberg

It's a one off game now with the 2nd and 3rd placed teams earning the advantage of it being at home.

The final is at Ashton Gate this season.

Posted by: grimsby pete, June 12, 2021, 1:42pm; Reply: 147
Quoted from Heisenberg

No
Posted by: Heisenberg, June 12, 2021, 1:48pm; Reply: 148
Wow, we wouldn’t have gone up in 2016 if that was the rule then!! Mind you, we didn’t finish 2nd, so it would have been different. Confusing.

As for the final venue, it does make sense really. As awesome as Wembley is, seeing it a 1/4 full is always a waste.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 12, 2021, 1:50pm; Reply: 149
Quoted from Heisenberg
As for the final venue, it does make sense really. As awesome as Wembley is, seeing it a 1/4 full is always a waste.

More to do with the Euros being played there I think.

Posted by: promotion plaice, June 12, 2021, 1:55pm; Reply: 150

Extra-time.

Torquay v Notts County or Wales v Switzerland  (Confused)
Posted by: Davec, June 12, 2021, 1:56pm; Reply: 151

Extra-time.

Torquay v Notts County or Wales v switzerland  (Confused)

both for me, I have Torquay on laptop and Wales on TV
Posted by: Hagrid, June 12, 2021, 2:11pm; Reply: 152
Torquay take the lead. Excellent
Posted by: Heisenberg, June 12, 2021, 2:15pm; Reply: 153

More to do with the Euros being played there I think.

Yeah I know, but I wonder if they’ll stick with it? Those 3,000 (yeah right!) FGR fans inside Wembley was a sorry, sorry sight.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, June 12, 2021, 2:16pm; Reply: 154
Quoted from Hagrid
Torquay take the lead. Excellent

Then their goal scorer is laid out by his own team mates for 5 minutes after a celebration pile on   ::)
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, June 12, 2021, 2:17pm; Reply: 155
Kick off again and then Torquay go straight on the attack and win a penalty
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, June 12, 2021, 2:17pm; Reply: 156
4-2

Looks like we'll be going to Meadow Lane again
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 12, 2021, 2:19pm; Reply: 157

Looks like we'll have two local derbies next season then, Chesterfield and Notts County.
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 12, 2021, 2:22pm; Reply: 158
Must say I have been impressed with all the play off games.

It looks it's going to be hard for us next season.

BUT

We can do it !!!!

No pen for Torquay hard on county.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 12, 2021, 2:24pm; Reply: 159

Looks like we'll have two local derbies next season then, Chesterfield and Notts County.

Can we count King's Lynn as a local derby?

Posted by: Davec, June 12, 2021, 2:24pm; Reply: 160
that was never a penalty in my opinion, he won the ball, the ball changed direction.

good subs by Gary Johsnon, the guy with the double barrelled name has added some rawness and energy and Billy Waters has always been a threat in the national league.

Compared to Notts County who never had much attacking threat on their bench at all.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, June 12, 2021, 2:25pm; Reply: 161
Quoted from grimsby pete
Must say I have been impressed with all the play off games.

It looks it's going to be hard for us next season.

BUT

We can do it !!!!

No pen for Torquay hard on county.

Hi Pete

Hope you're doing ok

You're right... there have been some good games

As we all know the play-offs are hard to succeed in but we should make them all being well

I'd rather go up as champions of course!  ;)
Posted by: Abdul19, June 12, 2021, 2:38pm; Reply: 162
Get in Torquay!
Posted by: forza ivano, June 12, 2021, 2:44pm; Reply: 163

Can we count King's Lynn as a local derby?

Definitely  it's the 'Eastcoastico' 😁
Posted by: DB, June 12, 2021, 2:49pm; Reply: 164
Quoted from forza ivano

You never know if it's a boxing day fixture you might get the Queen and family at the home end! ;)

Posted by: FishOutOfWater, June 12, 2021, 2:52pm; Reply: 165
Quoted from forza ivano

Their place will definitely be awash with us Town fans that’s for sure 🏁
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, June 12, 2021, 2:59pm; Reply: 166
Don’t ever want to go to Yeovil again, the 3:0 defeat under Slade was a real low point.
Posted by: lukeo, June 12, 2021, 3:01pm; Reply: 167
Noooooooo let's hope Torquay lose the final 😂
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, June 13, 2021, 1:22pm; Reply: 168
Just seen a Hartlepool player ( Hoolahan / Hooligan?) high kick a Stockport player in the neck

Yellow card.... couldn't help but think again that Matete's straight red at Exeter was totally the wrong decision  :-/
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, June 13, 2021, 1:33pm; Reply: 169
1-0 to Hartlepool

Oates on the scoresheet again
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, June 13, 2021, 1:54pm; Reply: 170
1-0 FT

So Torquay - Hartlepool final

And a trip to Stockport for the Mariners
Posted by: HertsGTFC, June 13, 2021, 1:58pm; Reply: 171
I know last season was nothing to measure against and a complete debacle but looking at what I saw yesterday in the Torquay v Notts County game it just underlined that Hurst has a massive task in his hands and a first season promotion feels unlikely in my view.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, June 13, 2021, 2:01pm; Reply: 172
Hope Torquay go up
Lovely place but a long trip.

Hartlepool not the dump it once was and probably a good away following.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, June 13, 2021, 2:51pm; Reply: 173
Torquay or Hartlepool for an away day ... I know where I’d rather go  !
Posted by: HertsGTFC, June 13, 2021, 8:29pm; Reply: 174
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Torquay or Hartlepool for an away day ... I know where I’d rather go  !

Your average monkey would prefer Devon too.
Posted by: lukeo, June 14, 2021, 6:31am; Reply: 175
Didnt think I'd ever say this but come on hartlepool
Posted by: pizzzza, June 14, 2021, 12:41pm; Reply: 176
Ticket prices for the final are a bit steep, especially considering it is only at Ashton Gate.

[tweet]1404379828372049921[/tweet]
Posted by: DB, June 14, 2021, 1:35pm; Reply: 177
Quoted from pizzzza
Ticket prices for the final are a bit steep, especially considering it is only at Ashton Gate.

[tweet]1404379828372049921[/tweet]

The NL Board are consistently good at making bad decisions. The venue could have been at a prem ground as Wembley isn't available and the price is ridiculous, plus the add ons will make it nearly a £50 touch.  :-/ :-/

Posted by: Abdul19, June 20, 2021, 2:11pm; Reply: 178
Torquay have had an early goal disallowed in the final. Not sure why.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, June 20, 2021, 2:15pm; Reply: 179
Quoted from Abdul19
Torquay have had an early goal disallowed in the final. Not sure why.

An early goal would ruin things for a neutral, just like a sending off would I suppose.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 20, 2021, 2:21pm; Reply: 180

Never thought I would say it but it just doesn't feel the same when it isn't played at Wembley, even when Wembley is mainly empty.
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, June 20, 2021, 2:29pm; Reply: 181
Rhys Oates (we had him on loan didn't we?)  has impressed me in these play-off games, looks very good nowadays
Posted by: Hagrid, June 20, 2021, 2:37pm; Reply: 182
1-0 monkey hangers
Posted by: ginnywings, June 20, 2021, 2:57pm; Reply: 183
Quoted from Hagrid
1-0 monkey hangers

If they go up, expect some of their fans on here telling us how tinpot we are.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 20, 2021, 2:58pm; Reply: 184
Quoted from ginnywings

If they go up, expect some of their fans on here telling us how tinpot we are.

And reminding us how we are their feeder club.

Posted by: Hagrid, June 20, 2021, 3:21pm; Reply: 185
Another perfectly good goal ruled out for Torquay
Posted by: Abdul19, June 20, 2021, 3:22pm; Reply: 186
Another Torquay goal disallowed, seemingly because their keeper's as weak as piss.
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, June 20, 2021, 3:52pm; Reply: 187
End to end this
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, June 20, 2021, 3:56pm; Reply: 188
Keeper scores 1-1 wtf
Posted by: HertsGTFC, June 20, 2021, 3:57pm; Reply: 189
Bloody hell, Torquay keeper equalises with the last play of the game.
Posted by: aldi_01, June 20, 2021, 3:57pm; Reply: 190
That is flipping brilliant…
Posted by: Hagrid, June 20, 2021, 3:57pm; Reply: 191
Unreal
Posted by: Abdul19, June 20, 2021, 3:59pm; Reply: 192
MAGNIFICENT!

(The Hartlepool keeper reminds me of Tommy Forecast on high balls)
Posted by: Hagrid, June 20, 2021, 3:59pm; Reply: 193
Quoted from Hagrid
Another perfectly good goal ruled out for Torquay

Fancy red crossing this you sad idiot
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 20, 2021, 4:00pm; Reply: 194

Great header to be fair...extra time.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, June 20, 2021, 4:03pm; Reply: 195
Come on Torquay wee on Challinor
Posted by: Hagrid, June 20, 2021, 4:21pm; Reply: 196
Get this bloody player off
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, June 20, 2021, 4:35pm; Reply: 197
Quoted from Hagrid

Fancy red crossing this you sad idiot

Keyboard warrior having five mins from ‘hanging the monkey’ whilst his parents are out.....who sits on here Sunday afternoons red crossing!
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 20, 2021, 4:55pm; Reply: 198

Quality penalties, first 4 missed  ;D
Posted by: Hagrid, June 20, 2021, 5:02pm; Reply: 199
intercourse off hartlepool
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 20, 2021, 5:03pm; Reply: 200

A trip to Torquay it is then.
Posted by: Abdul19, June 20, 2021, 5:04pm; Reply: 201
Some terrible pens and a predictable chavfest
Posted by: Grimsby2012, June 20, 2021, 5:58pm; Reply: 202
Going by the quality of that game, we don't have much to worry about
Posted by: lukeo, June 20, 2021, 6:16pm; Reply: 203
Dislike hartlepool but glad Torquay stayed down. That's 3 definite away games for me now UTM
Posted by: moosey_club, June 20, 2021, 6:30pm; Reply: 204
As much as I would like Hartlepool to have failed not seeing that cnt Challinor next season will do for me.
Posted by: brigg_mariner, June 21, 2021, 9:42am; Reply: 205
Right, when are the fixtures out?
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 1:21am