Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: forza ivano, April 23, 2021, 7:01am
very interesting and entertaining documentary on BBC iplayer about the history and reformation of Derry City, touching on the politics and religion of the city. Some great footage of their fans having a whale of a time at decrepit old stadia . Recommended.

PS The Mariners got a mention on Thought For The Day yesterday. The Bishop doing it was talking about the Super League, and asked where that left not only Aston Villa, but even further down, Grimsby Town
Posted by: wuffing, April 23, 2021, 7:40am; Reply: 1
Quoted from forza ivano
very interesting and entertaining documentary on BBC iplayer about the history and reformation of Derry City, touching on the politics and religion of the city. Some great footage of their fans having a whale of a time at decrepit old stadia . Recommended.

PS The Mariners got a mention on Thought For The Day yesterday. The Bishop doing it was talking about the Super League, and asked where that left not only Aston Villa, but even further down, Grimsby Town

And here's today's thought for the day from the Bishop: and please spare a few moments for those long-suffering Grimsby Town fans who have had to endure the most torrid of 20 years of scratching about in the lower regions of the football pyramid and who are about to return to the abyss of non-league football once more. Ahhhhhhhhmen...

(drvita)
Posted by: Abdul19, April 23, 2021, 8:45am; Reply: 2
Coincidence of the day: last time we were relegated to non league, we were heavily linked with signing Andy Bishop. One of those same time tomorrow.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), April 23, 2021, 9:31am; Reply: 3
Quoted from forza ivano

Back in 1970 I used to man a sangar overlooking Brandywell(Derry City's ground),  was ok until the IRA decided to send a few rounds down range towards us!

Posted by: BottesfordMariner, April 23, 2021, 10:19am; Reply: 4
I watched it the other night on BBC2.

Interesting watch. Without a team for over a decade and champions of Ireland within 4 seasons and mixing it with Europe's elite.

Shows what can be achieved when there is a will and determination by those in charge. Overcoming obstacles and getting the local community involved and creating enthusiasm. Derry were taking 2000-3000 to away games.......unheard of in the League of Ireland.

Derry City was a huge success story at the time. I have family across the border in Co Donegal. My Irish team is Finn Harps in Donegal who have a big rivalry with Derry City. When Derry reformed and joined the League of Ireland they gained a lot of support in eastern parts of Donegal (due to its close proximity to Derry). Indeed i think a couple of years ago when Derry's Brandywell ground was having work done  they played their homes games in Co Donegal.

Perhaps when the new owners formally take control of GTFC we can take encouragement from clubs like Derry City and emulate that success on and off the pitch. A new beginning.

Posted by: 123614 (Guest), April 23, 2021, 4:44pm; Reply: 5
Did we not play Derry City in a friendly some years back?
Posted by: RichMariner, April 23, 2021, 6:20pm; Reply: 6
Not sure. We definitely played Bangor in Northern Ireland in the late 90s during a pre-season tour (what’s one of them, I hear you ask?!).
Posted by: Abdul19, April 23, 2021, 8:25pm; Reply: 7
You could take out the word 'tour' and I'd still ask
Posted by: Belfast Town, April 24, 2021, 9:18am; Reply: 8
Quoted from 123614
Did we not play Derry City in a friendly some years back?

Not quite. We played a pre-season tournament at the Brandywell in, I think, 2000. We played Finn Harps and were then due to play Derry City but their Chair died and the tournament was abandoned.
Posted by: Todmorden Mariner, April 24, 2021, 3:36pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Belfast Town

Not quite. We played a pre-season tournament at the Brandywell in, I think, 2000. We played Finn Harps and were then due to play Derry City but their Chair died and the tournament was abandoned.

We beat Finn Harps and in the other game Tranmere beat Derry. 20 mins into final against Tranmere news reached us that the chairman had been killed in a road accident on the way to the game and it was then abandoned.
Posted by: Gaffer58, April 24, 2021, 3:47pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Todmorden Mariner

We beat Finn Harps and in the other game Tranmere beat Derry. 20 mins into final against Tranmere news reached us that the chairman had been killed in a road accident on the way to the game and it was then abandoned.

Sad news that, if it happened today the poor chap would have been counted as another Covid cassualty.
Print page generated: May 7, 2024, 6:49am