Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: blundellpork, April 19, 2021, 10:44am
Doesn’t even last 2 years these days. Yesterday’s man.
Posted by: MarshMariner, April 19, 2021, 10:52am; Reply: 1
Rumours flying around that he was sacked because he opposes the new "Super" League Format...  :D
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 19, 2021, 10:52am; Reply: 2
Bit harsh after he guided them to European Super League qualification for eternity.
Posted by: SheepGTFC, April 19, 2021, 10:52am; Reply: 3
rumours he refused to start training over the Super League so Levy sacked him.
Posted by: Abdul19, April 19, 2021, 10:59am; Reply: 4
People believe that?!
Posted by: chicaneuk, April 19, 2021, 11:00am; Reply: 5
Well hopefully they'll struggle to find a manager with a spine now.. as surely any manager worth their salt should want nothing to do with this ridiculous situation?
Posted by: malkamalka, April 19, 2021, 11:04am; Reply: 6
Been coming for a few weeks. When he's getting bored, he starts publicly blaming players and that's been happening for a while.
Posted by: Hagrid, April 19, 2021, 11:04am; Reply: 7
Quoted from SheepGTFC
rumours he refused to start training over the Super League so Levy sacked him.

that " rumour" was started by a man on twitter who yesterday claimed he worked for the new york times and is a known wind up

he's good at it, because people fall for it every time
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, April 19, 2021, 11:05am; Reply: 8
Textbook modern bonkers football tactic sponsored by the European Super League to sack a manager just days before a cup final.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 19, 2021, 11:11am; Reply: 9
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
Textbook modern bonkers football tactic sponsored by the European Super League to sack a manager just days before a cup final.

I wonder if JM objected to the ESP and Tottenham decided to sack him now rather than wait 7 days and allow him to lose the EFL Cup Final before his departure?
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 19, 2021, 11:17am; Reply: 10
I have a theory about managers like Wenger & Mourinho I’ve often bored by dad (GranthamMariner) with.

When Wenger came over in 1996 he was 10 years ahead of his time.

When Mourinho came over in 2004 he was 10 years ahead of his time.

Neither changed or developed. Wenger’s last big Arsenal success was the UCL Final in 2006. Mourinho’s last big success was winning the EPL in 2015. They both became dinosaurs after that.

Sir Alex Ferguson reinvented himself over and over again to keep delivering success. Wenger & Mourinho weren’t able to do that.
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, April 19, 2021, 11:25am; Reply: 11
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I have a theory about managers like Wenger & Mourinho I’ve often bored by dad (GranthamMariner) with.

Neither changed or developed. Wenger’s last big Arsenal success was the UCL Final in 2006. Mourinho’s last big success was winning the EPL in 2015. They both became dinosaurs after that.
Sir Alex Ferguson reinvented himself over and over again to keep delivering success. Wenger & Mourinho weren’t able to do that.

Your theory omits that later era Wenger was significantly financially hindered by the new ground, and the arrival of Chelsea and Man City in particular splashing the cash.

Posted by: chipsandgravy, April 19, 2021, 11:30am; Reply: 12
A genius tweeted.......Tottenham being called into the European Super League is like Bananaman being asked to be an Avenger!!
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 19, 2021, 11:34am; Reply: 13
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

Your theory omits that later era Wenger was significantly financially hindered by the new ground, and the arrival of Chelsea and Man City in particular splashing the cash.

Chelsea’s finances (and then Man City too) didn’t stop Ferguson delivering PL titles in 06/07, 07/08, 08/09, 10/11 & 12/13.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, April 19, 2021, 11:37am; Reply: 14
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Ferguson was clever in that he didn’t necessarily have to reinvent himself. He brought in the right coaches such as McClaren (who was a very good coach) and the Doigian, Carlos Queiroz (who was a tactical genius).
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 19, 2021, 11:52am; Reply: 15

Ferguson was clever in that he didn’t necessarily have to reinvent himself. He brought in the right coaches such as McClaren (who was a very good coach) and the Doigian, Carlos Queiroz (who was a tactical genius).

Sorry but wrong. Fergie played 4-4-2 until around 2003. His latter success was done with variations of 4-3-3. He changed his style and method as football changed. It wasn’t just down to having a different assistant.
Posted by: mimma, April 19, 2021, 12:18pm; Reply: 16
I've often said the same thing about managers Golly. They seem to have a certain shelf life after which they never reach the heights of their beginnings.

Fergy was an exception which makes him stand out head and shoulders above the rest.

PS I hope that this doesn't apply to Hurst just yet at least!!!
Posted by: Meza, April 19, 2021, 1:00pm; Reply: 17
92 Mill he's received in compensation for being sacked.  Ridiculous that you get paid for failure.
Posted by: Withnail, April 19, 2021, 1:03pm; Reply: 18
Levy needs to get on the blower to Ollie asap.

He'd urine the Europa Bolox SuperDuper Cup/league thingy whatever it's called.

Good arrows Son and Kane!

If (when) Spurs finish bottom of the pile he can blame Covid.
Posted by: MarinerMal, April 19, 2021, 1:28pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Chelsea’s finances (and then Man City too) didn’t stop Ferguson delivering PL titles in 06/07, 07/08, 08/09, 10/11 & 12/13.

United had the cash to compete with the Chelsea & City billionaire owners. Arsenal didn't due to their 'self sustaining' model. In the final years of Wenger's reign the club did start to spend more (due to new commercial deals) but with very mixed results. Hence, you see were the club are now. Wenger seems to get the blame for the current state of the club in the media but it was him who warned against overspending and the same media that ridiculed him for it.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, April 19, 2021, 1:41pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Sorry but wrong. Fergie played 4-4-2 until around 2003. His latter success was done with variations of 4-3-3. He changed his style and method as football changed. It wasn’t just down to having a different assistant.

You might be right. I can’t remember the exact timelines.
😀

Ferguson transitioned from his beloved 442 when Queiroz was apponted as coach in 2002. Ferguson overruled Queiroz and went for broke against Real Madrid in the 4-3 ‘Brazilian Ronaldo hat-trick match’, with Solskjær and RVN up front in a 442.

Queiroz took the Real job, got sacked, Ferguson took him back and United became a pragmatic monster using the 433 variants you mention.
Posted by: golfer, April 19, 2021, 4:03pm; Reply: 21
Hollowhead applying - willing to buy into the club
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, April 19, 2021, 5:51pm; Reply: 22
How can it be classed as a ‘super league’ when only 3 countries have teams represented.

What they should do is get every European country to enter their league champions and have a midweek competition. Maybe add 2/3/4 placed teams in the more developed leagues and call this competition, wait for it, ‘the champions league’
Posted by: DB, April 19, 2021, 6:27pm; Reply: 23
He is paid up to £20million in compensation for failing. This is an obscene amount of money paid to him by one of the new super league clubs.

It is disgusting that this sort of money is handed over when he achieved nothing. Overpaid, overrated, and a has been. Why do these clubs bring in foreign managers and not use British talent? These clubs are where they are now because it is British managers that took them by the scruff of the neck and put them onto the road to wealth.

These old British managers were paid nowhere near the likes of Mourinho and stayed with the clubs for years not months. I think Bill Nicholson would turn in his grave the way Spurs are in this present age.
Posted by: golfer, April 19, 2021, 7:19pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
How can it be classed as a ‘super league’ when only 3 countries have teams represented.

What they should do is get every European country to enter their league champions and have a midweek competition. Maybe add 2/3/4 placed teams in the more developed leagues and call this competition, wait for it, ‘the champions league’

mmm  Why didn't they think of that
Posted by: golfer, April 19, 2021, 7:22pm; Reply: 25
Foreign owners, foreign managers, foreign players - fcuck off and get foreign fans.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 19, 2021, 8:23pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from DB
He is paid up to £20million in compensation for failing. This is an obscene amount of money paid to him by one of the new super league clubs.

It is disgusting that this sort of money is handed over when he achieved nothing. Overpaid, overrated, and a has been. Why do these clubs bring in foreign managers and not use British talent? These clubs are where they are now because it is British managers that took them by the scruff of the neck and put them onto the road to wealth.

These old British managers were paid nowhere near the likes of Mourinho and stayed with the clubs for years not months. I think Bill Nicholson would turn in his grave the way Spurs are in this present age.

51% win ratio. I’d love a manager that much of a failure at Grimsby.
Posted by: aldi_01, April 20, 2021, 5:53am; Reply: 27
It’s been clear for a while now, probably since the inception of the premier league that winning actual trophies doesn’t necessarily mean success.

Look how teams have celebrated by finishing 4th or just staying up. Jose has actually achieved things at Spurs and a win ratio plenty would die for.

No coincidence that the last two clubs he ‘failed’ at both have CEOs/owners that think they’re the big shot, that they can buy and sell and know what’s best. Spurs will spend more money getting rid of Jose than if they’d just given him the cash to buy the centre half he so desperately wanted and needed.

I suspect Jose will be made the scapegoat for Levy’s arrogance once more, the fact Levy/Spurs believe they’re part of the big six is laughable and gives you a view of how Levy views the club. One league cup and one non appearance in a champions league final...

People can talk about the sum of money for getting sacked being grossly inflated but football is to blame, they created that and if that’s his contract then so be it. You can see some truth in the story that he refused to train and whatever people’s opinions are of Jose, he is still one of the most successful managers in the game. He also improved Spurs’ best two players...I’m sure Levy will take the credit for that too.

I like PH but when Jose is brought in by Stockwood and Pettit I won’t be disappointed...
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 20, 2021, 8:42am; Reply: 28
Apparently it's all OK. Real Madrid's chairman said it will "help football at all levels."

"Football is the only global sport in the world with more than four billion fans and our responsibility as big clubs is to respond to their desires,"
Posted by: Garth, April 20, 2021, 10:25am; Reply: 29

Will be renamed The World Series as Americans do
Posted by: Rick12, April 20, 2021, 3:17pm; Reply: 30
Feel a bit bad for him loosing his job as I didn't mind him when I saw him on Amazon prime when he done that show on spurs. Having said that I didnt like some of his actions in the past when he use to manage Real Madrid eg pocking one of Barcelona's staff in the eye .
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, April 20, 2021, 6:14pm; Reply: 31
I wonder if he fancies investing 100k of his own money in a lowly football club?
Posted by: mimma, April 21, 2021, 11:28am; Reply: 32
Apparently he's in line for the Celtic job. He might manage to win a trophy there if he takes it!
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 2:07pm