Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: GTFCNiles, April 17, 2021, 2:34pm
Awesome performance, given us the glimmer of hope...can we...maybe...!
Posted by: Hagrid, April 17, 2021, 2:37pm; Reply: 1
I am
Bursting with pride. Battling pride fight guts desire. Amazing
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 17, 2021, 2:37pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from GTFCNiles
Awesome performance, given us the glimmer of hope...can we...maybe...!

Only if we can follow it up with another win or two in the next week.

Yes we can !!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, April 17, 2021, 2:38pm; Reply: 3
Looking at the table it won't be as many as 50 points needed. 47 should be enough and 45 or 46 could be. So 3 wins from 5 might be enough. 4 wins or 3 and a couple of draws should be. Hell of an ask but if Walsall do the business for us this evening and Southend and Colchester could grind out a draw on Tuesday then maybe there's a glimmer.
Posted by: Belfast Town, April 17, 2021, 2:39pm; Reply: 4
Great game of football.

Believe !!
Posted by: Oly1987, April 17, 2021, 2:41pm; Reply: 5
Credit to the whole team for a heroic display today.
Special praise to the midfield. tracked back and helped on defence and was there for the flick ons and hold up play from the forwards on the attack.
Extra special praise to Clifton who was has had detractors this season but was playing right mid, attacking mid at times, left mid for a few minutes and then right back at the end. Cant fault his commitment and he truly shows he is proud to wear that badge.
Extra extra special praise for macca who pulled out some absolutely stunning saves.
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 17, 2021, 2:42pm; Reply: 6

Not only did we beat Bolton today, we thoroughly deserved to.

Well done to Hurst and his team, it didn't happen overnight but we look like we could beat anyone now.

Posted by: 4055 (Guest), April 17, 2021, 2:44pm; Reply: 7
great win ,well done.  ;D
Posted by: dicko995, April 17, 2021, 2:49pm; Reply: 8
Now THAT was entertainment, best game ive watched all season.  To be relegated after that performance would be a gross injustice. Way to go lads, way to bloody go
Posted by: Zmariner, April 17, 2021, 2:50pm; Reply: 9
Best performance of the season. (better without Rocky) Clifton , Hanson, Meyenese( sign him up), Metete, Macca, Hewitt, Lewis brilliant. We actually looked dangerous and I cannot say the last time this was the case. 10 out of 10 and Meyenese is immense and would be my first signing on a 3 year deal if we can get him . Not used to winning and still expect relegation but a bit of pride back there. Well done Paul Hurst we looked like a football team today regardless of the result utm
Posted by: exiledmeggie, April 17, 2021, 2:51pm; Reply: 10
It's on. We can ...

UTM
Posted by: toontown, April 17, 2021, 2:53pm; Reply: 11
Clifton MOM for me, battled everywhere, seemed to play everywhere! Created opportunities for others and also got himself into shooting opportunities. I remember when he made his first start and he said his aim was to effect the game with his performance, well he certainly did that today.

But all the team played fantastically today, how did we not score at least 5?!

Hurst has certainly changed us, the results don't reflect it as much as the performances because the one area we havnt improved is goal scoring.

I do think khouri was left on far too long however, he was shattered and had long since stopped taking his crossing and passing opportunities. He was sticking to his shape and defensive duties well enough though.

Well done to Jackson for taking his opportunity, Hurst obviously doesn't rate him much but its pretty obvious he is our strongest goal poacher in the squad by far. Gets in the right positions. Cant be far off Joint top scorer but has only had about 4 league starts is it? When we need second goals (when wouldn't we) he looks worthwhile bringing on.
Posted by: Mayaman, April 17, 2021, 2:56pm; Reply: 12
Were you watching Stefan Payne?
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, April 17, 2021, 2:58pm; Reply: 13
;D ;D ;D ;D(clap)(clap)(clap)(clap)(clap)
Posted by: bobbyturtle, April 17, 2021, 3:03pm; Reply: 14
well done all utm
Posted by: Sigone, April 17, 2021, 3:06pm; Reply: 15
What happened to Coke, the telegraph are reporting that a stretcher came on for him after the final whistle.
Posted by: moosey_club, April 17, 2021, 3:12pm; Reply: 16
Cracking start , not just the goal but probably the next 10 - 15 mins where we really opened them up , once Hanson missed that first one i thought here we go..... then more and more opportunities slipped by.... the first save by Macca to deny Coyle was fantastic, his second half one equally as good.
Thought at around 60mins the momentum had gone and we were going to be sitting and getting desperate, players started to tire after the fantastic efforts to that point. Thankfully , for once , the subs made the difference, Jackson being Johnny the spot with his first and second touches ??

Nervy end but held out.

Remarkable what a difference Payne being missing today made. Khouri looked lively first half but tired understandably, Hanson and LJL both played really well, holding play, linking with the midfield.

Hurst certainly knows how to build a team with spirit that will work hard for each other.

Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 17, 2021, 3:16pm; Reply: 17
Entertaining game where everyone played well, belief and desire in spades!

What I liked today was our mid field 3 young kids and a veteran in Coke who just glued them together, they supported the defence by keeping the ball and supported the attack when we needed numbers in the final 3rd, massive improvement!
Posted by: forza ivano, April 17, 2021, 3:20pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Entertaining game where everyone played well, belief and desire in spades!

What I liked today was our mid field 3 young kids and a veteran in Coke who just glued them together, they supported the defence by keeping the ball and supported the attack when we needed numbers in the final 3rd, massive improvement!

Good point.i get the feeling that spokes ,given the chance and more fitness n coaching, could fill mate's massive boots. Throw lamy into the mix, playing on his natural side , and thrres a decent midfield
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 17, 2021, 3:24pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from forza ivano

Good point.i get the feeling that spokes ,given the chance and more fitness n coaching, could fill mate's massive boots. Throw lamy into the mix, playing on his natural side , and thrres a decent midfield

Yeah I’d agree Forza, I do hope we offer Coke a deal for next season as his experience could be really influential.
Posted by: immariner, April 17, 2021, 3:25pm; Reply: 20
If Colchester don't win either of their next 2 games, we're still in this.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, April 17, 2021, 3:26pm; Reply: 21
If ever there was a game that we need to see an extended highlights video posted by GTFC then this is it, instead of 30 seconds of goals interspersed with the post match interview with Hurst.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, April 17, 2021, 3:30pm; Reply: 22
“Are you watching Stefan Payne”?

Well I would, but he was not playing.  😏😀😀😀😃😀😃

Hurst got Shrewsbury from bottom to out of the bottom 4.

Just do half a job and keep us out of the bottom 2.  Please.  
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, April 17, 2021, 3:38pm; Reply: 23
1 defeat in last 10 games.  And that was with 10 men.   Promotion form.  Hurst is turning things round.
Posted by: Davec, April 17, 2021, 3:42pm; Reply: 24
If ever there was a game that we need to see an extended highlights video posted by GTFC then this is it, instead of 30 seconds of goals interspersed with the post match interview with Hurst.

All games are available to view in full free of charge on I follow the day after the game.
Posted by: TAGG, April 17, 2021, 3:59pm; Reply: 25
Great game, best I've seen this season.
It's great to be watching a proper Town performance.
Harry my mom but pushed very close by every other player.
Well done to Hurst, picked the correct team for the job and got the lads up for the game.
UTM
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, April 17, 2021, 4:01pm; Reply: 26
I don't know about everybody else but here in North Yorkshire the sun shining, the pubs opening and 3 points for the mighty mariners has made all seem right with the world or at least pretty close to it!
Posted by: paramariner, April 17, 2021, 4:17pm; Reply: 27
Coke had a spasm in his back when he cleared the ball at the end of the game. He refused pain relief and walked off the pitch. Hopefully after some Ibuprofen or similar he'll be OK.  Not sure he'll be fit Tuesday though.
Posted by: DB, April 17, 2021, 4:28pm; Reply: 28
The team that played today was the best all season and thoroughly deserved their win. Not only did they put on a never say die attitude, but they also played for each other with passion and commitment. We have seen bits and pieces in other games but not for the full 90 mins. like today.

I sincerely hope that it is not too late to avoid the drop and it does fill you with hope. For various, none football reasons, I had decided not to watch the Morecombe game on Tuesday night. All I can say now is bring it on Hursty more of the same please.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 17, 2021, 5:43pm; Reply: 29
Early start threw me. Went for a walk with fellow Mariner from up the road and thought it’s a bit early for getting the team sheet when it came through.

Early goal and we both thought, we’ve been there before a couple of times recently, let’s not get excited. Keep calm and carry on walking (‘ooh look there’s a young heron).

Sarnie at the caff St Mary’s church Putney (location of the famous Putney Debates). Decided to cross Putney Bridge for a drink at the Eight Bells for old times sake (let’s pretend we’re playing Fulham again) but no booking no beer. 🙁

Delight for two mature passengers on the 85 bus back as news of the second went in on 85 minutes. Son nearly ruined it by messaging “think we might actually win a game” (young fool). Course they scored on 96 minutes to give us a minute of nerves before FT.

Beers in the garden with that nice, much missed, mellow feeling.

UTFM.
Posted by: essexexile, April 17, 2021, 5:54pm; Reply: 30
Just watched iFollow post-match interviews, Hurst of course and Jay Matete, good to hear from him
Would like to hear from Rollin who had another stormer today
Posted by: MarinerRob, April 17, 2021, 6:01pm; Reply: 31
Rollin is such a pleasure to watch. Very calm and collected. It would be amazing to keep him but I dont think there is much chance of that, unfortunately!
Posted by: nightrider, April 17, 2021, 6:20pm; Reply: 32
They all played well. Clifton played very well. Undroppable at the min and like Hewitt can play numerous positions. Lenny has to get a mention - ran his socks off all game. Still a phenomenal athlete even at 32.
We can stay up. But theyre gonna have to find their scoring boots
Posted by: ginnywings, April 17, 2021, 6:59pm; Reply: 33
Think there's no doubt now that we are a much better side under PH  than under IH, despite what some posters have been saying. It was also good to see him apply ruthless discipline on the errant players this week, letting the rest of them know what will and won't be tolerated.

He's turned a rabble into a tough to beat team. Alas, I fear we have fun out of time to save our league status.
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 17, 2021, 11:34pm; Reply: 34
Best performance of the season all round especially from Hanson who despite missing two good chances looked so much better in a front two rather than a front three so a big thank you to Payne.

Also thought the young Evan Khouri didn't look out of place.

Sadly all a bit too late I think and what will do for us is the failure to beat those teams around us especially at home.
Posted by: BeijingMariner, April 18, 2021, 12:33am; Reply: 35
From the BW forum "I've no doubt there will be livid Grimsby fans because if they'd played like that all season there is no way they'd be in the bottom 2. They came at us like a spider monkey and got what they deserved."
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 18, 2021, 3:10pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from BeijingMariner
From the BW forum "I've no doubt there will be livid Grimsby fans because if they'd played like that all season there is no way they'd be in the bottom 2. They came at us like a spider monkey and got what they deserved."

I read similar comments on there plus a number having a go at their manager and some of the players even though they are 3rd in the table.

So not just a Grimsby fans reaction to crap displays.
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 18, 2021, 6:41pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from 4055
great win ,well done.  ;D

I echo your thoughts emisar mate, just think you picked the wrong emoji   :)

Posted by: AussieMariner, April 18, 2021, 6:50pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from promotion plaice

I think that might be the squeaky bum omg I hope that one didn’t follow through emoji 😬
Posted by: 4055 (Guest), April 18, 2021, 7:36pm; Reply: 39

(clap) better,
Posted by: 4055 (Guest), April 18, 2021, 7:36pm; Reply: 40

(clap) better,
Posted by: buckstown, April 18, 2021, 8:20pm; Reply: 41
My son got married at lunchtime yesterday, had a sneaky look at the scores to see we’d won so a perfect day all round, especially given the sunshine. Saw later that Colchester were losing and just sat grinning with a large glass of red.
Shame Walsall couldn’t do the business!!
Print page generated: May 7, 2024, 3:06am