Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, April 11, 2021, 10:51am
Good piece by Rod Liddle  in today’s Sunday Times, some of it I’ve quoted here..

Beware the charms of Ian ‘Hollowhead’, the manager with midas touch in reverse
Rod Liddle
Sunday April 11 2021, 12.01am, The Sunday Times

There is a minute’s silence at most games these days. If the authorities ever run out of people to mourn, perhaps they will adopt my suggestion of a minute’s silence for all clubs who have been visited by Ian Holloway and are now, as a consequence, on a respirator, the clock ticking.

The latest mugs to buy into the man’s idiotic, grandstanding spiel are poor old Grimsby Town, who are desperate to consolidate in the Football League rather than rejoin those gently declining northern sides that will soon make up the entirety of the National Leagues.

Holloway arrived with the usual fanfare in December 2019. This was a superbly run club, he said. Not only would he be manager but he’d also take a seat on the board, invest £100,000 of his own money in their future and move house from Bristol to Lincolnshire. The fans — and you can blame them for this, given the bloke’s track record — were very optimistic. In the summer Holloway went about his important and familiar work of getting rid of all the good players and replacing them with people who were not any cop at playing football.

The results, as you might expect, bore testimony to his unique managerial approach. Down and down Grimsby went. Holloway did not put £100,000 of his own money into the club and still less did he up sticks from Bristol. Instead, he gave a series of ever more bizarre and querulous press conferences after the defeats piled up. Among other things, he blamed Covid for Grimsby’s lack of success, perhaps believing that — contrary to popularly held opinion — the virus afflicted not the entire world but just a small area of northern Britain immediately to the south of the Humber estuary.

Holloway left exactly one year after he had arrived (and three days after he had said he wasn’t going anywhere) with Grimsby deep in the relegation battle, third from bottom having played more games than the two clubs beneath them. They are now bottom, seven points from safety in League Two. After yesterday’s defeat at Bradford City they seem sure to be travelling to Boreham Wood next season.

They have my unrelieved sympathy. Holloway managed my club, Millwall, for a short time and was — by both common assent and indeed the stats — the worst manager in the club’s history. He pretty much ensured we would be relegated. Fans of Plymouth Argyle and Queens Park Rangers might wish to add their own reminiscences of Holloway at this point. He will be on the lookout for another side to ruin, as we are speaking. “By the pricking of my thumbs/Ian Hollowhead this way comes.” Beware all of you.

Of the clubs above poor benighted Grimsby, Southend United — who have also had a horrid time of it recently — look most likely to succumb. Colchester United and Barrow (promoted last season) sit just above them but keep your eyes on Walsall, who have been sliding downwards for some time. The worst form of the clubs towards the bottom is owned by Barrow’s promotion partners, Harrogate. But 50 points should be enough to give them another year in the Football League.
Posted by: Yoda, April 11, 2021, 11:02am; Reply: 1
Brilliant article from Rod as always.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, April 11, 2021, 11:07am; Reply: 2
No punches pulled by Rod Liddle in his headline article in the Times.

Beware the charms of Ian “Hollowhead” the manager with Midas touch in reverse.  (This is the headline).

Every detail we know of is there.  And so much more.  Getting rid of all the good players,  Replacing them with players not a cop at playing football.

Down and down Grimsby went. Boardroom and share issues covered.

The most damming:  besides Covid only affecting Grimsby,   Need a minutes silence for all the clubs that have been visited by Ian Holloway and are now, as a consequence, on a respirator.

Priceless.  There are other well-informed assessments.

If Holloway was known to be so duff and a BS merchant, what happened to our due diligence checks?
Posted by: RonMariner, April 11, 2021, 11:14am; Reply: 3
Excellent.
Posted by: RonMariner, April 11, 2021, 11:14am; Reply: 4
I think he took Leicester down to L1 too didn't he? Must be one of their lowest ever league positions so arguable the worst manger they had had in a very long time.
Posted by: Eastendmariner, April 11, 2021, 12:54pm; Reply: 5
Spot on

Friggin hate bullshitters,
  just one left
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 11, 2021, 12:56pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
No punches pulled by Rod Liddle in his headline article in the Times.

Beware the charms of Ian “Hollowhead” the manager with Midas touch in reverse.  (This is the headline).

Every detail we know of is there.  And so much more.  Getting rid of all the good players,  Replacing them with players not a cop at playing football.

Down and down Grimsby went. Boardroom and share issues covered.

The most damming:  besides Covid only affecting Grimsby,   Need a minutes silence for all the clubs that have been visited by Ian Holloway and are now, as a consequence, on a respirator.

Priceless.  There are other well-informed assessments.

If Holloway was known to be so duff and a BS merchant, what happened to our due diligence checks?

What happened to those on here who gave themselves the old 5 knuckle shuffle at the thought of him coming here?

Posted by: Humbercod, April 11, 2021, 1:02pm; Reply: 7
He doesn’t beat around the bush great stuff from Liddle.
Posted by: aldi_01, April 11, 2021, 1:13pm; Reply: 8
Great article.

Interesting that the only people left thinking Holloway is any good are either fools or those who haven’t had the misfortune of him managing or attempting to manage their team.

Came here for one reason and one reason only...and it was intercourse all to do with football.
Posted by: Heisenberg, April 11, 2021, 1:24pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from arryarryarry

What happened to those on here who gave themselves the old 5 knuckle shuffle at the thought of him coming here?

I’m one of those, Arry. Not sure why people would pretend they weren’t excited by the appointment, because 90% of us were made-up with it.
Posted by: Chrisblor, April 11, 2021, 1:25pm; Reply: 10
Goes to show that even a [url=https://i.imgur.com/2EoYdo2.jpg]stopped nonce[/url] can be right twice a day.
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 11, 2021, 1:34pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Heisenberg

I’m one of those, Arry. Not sure why people would pretend they weren’t excited by the appointment, because 90% of us were made-up with it.

I don't get excited about any new appointment, there have been far too many crap ones. I prefer to wait and see and soon the crap signings and la la land interviews suggested to me he was a sandwich short of a picnic.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, April 11, 2021, 1:35pm; Reply: 12
We bought into his blarney after years of failure out of hope didn’t we? But what we got was simply hopeless.
Posted by: 140381 (Guest), April 11, 2021, 2:08pm; Reply: 13
I had absolutely no idea Rod Liddle was a football writer.
Posted by: Withnail, April 11, 2021, 2:35pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from 140381
I had absolutely no idea Rod Liddle was a football writer.

He has both a comment column in the main section of the paper and a sports column.

This along with Giles Coren's column in The Times is worth the subscription alone (although admittedly the  company I work for pays for my subscription, not me).
Posted by: Gaffer58, April 11, 2021, 3:07pm; Reply: 15
Probably if Mr Fenty had done due diligence, or even asked around his fellow league chairman he may have had second thoughts on employing him, there again with a certain Mr May it seems that he’s easily taken in by bulls**t.
Posted by: Withnail, April 11, 2021, 3:30pm; Reply: 16
Interesting to read that around half of the comments BTL accuse Liddle of a "hateful, character assassination" on Holloway.

No doubt from Blackpool, Palace and QPR fans who still hold him in high regard.
Posted by: HerveJosse, April 11, 2021, 4:47pm; Reply: 17
Entertaining article as ever from Rod. Cant help wondering who fed him the  detail on the weekend of the takeover announcement or perhaps it was just  a coincidence!!
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, April 11, 2021, 7:17pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Heisenberg

So was I. Hands up here.

On the face of it, John had made a very exciting appointment. Little did any of us know though hey
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, April 11, 2021, 7:20pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Fillipe Noche

So was I. Hands up here.

On the face of it, John had made a very exciting appointment. Little did any of us know though hey

Surely John knew why Holloway was there, as it wasn’t purely football reasons?!!

Unless John wasn’t involved in the appointment.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, April 11, 2021, 7:58pm; Reply: 20

Surely John knew why Holloway was there, as it wasn’t purely football reasons?!!

From my memory the majority of town fans applauded his appointment, me included, but we were all wrong. In hindsight we probably should have thought more seriously as to why Holloway would come to us but as RR states after years of bland football and crap results many of us were all too willing to grab this final straw. It appears there was clearly a scheme in mind that would have delivered Holloway some additional money over and above his salary which is fine by me if a) it is legal; b) is in the best interests of the club, the fans and in the long term, the team and one would hope that should be achievable.

However, the revelations at Christmas suggest any financial dealings to deliver any “windfall” were at best dodgy and appear not to be in the best interests of the club however, the proposed May package was sold by JF and Day.

In reality I don’t blame Fenty for any of his appointments as in most of the cases I have seen the logic behind them. What is now clearly apparent is that these Managers never have received the right and correct level of financial, administrative and organisational support which has totally restricted their respective abilities to deliver any form of success.
Posted by: DB, April 11, 2021, 8:05pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Fillipe Noche

So was I. Hands up here.

On the Siriki Dembele thread, you asked:-

Hey let me tell you, that I have no loyalty to John Fenty. Why would I have?

Your above statement seems a reasonable answer!
Posted by: Garth, April 11, 2021, 8:39pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Gaffer58
Probably if Mr Fenty had done due diligence, or even asked around his fellow league chairman he may have had second thoughts on employing him, there again with a certain Mr May it seems that he’s easily taken in by bulls**t.

Whoa! hold it there,
Had it been known that Hollow words had wanted the Grimsby job and Fenty had turned him down, there would have been an uproar, because 90% of supporters were behind the appointment as it was then, and bought into the Ollie dream.
Its easy to be wise after the event, and no I'm not a JF groupie just trying to be fair.
The May business was another thing altogether
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 11, 2021, 10:42pm; Reply: 23

Absolutely not. It was pure coincidence that they bumped into each other in Papas.
Posted by: aldi_01, April 11, 2021, 10:54pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Absolutely not. It was pure coincidence that they bumped into each other in Papas.

The fact they went to Papa’s should’ve set alarm bells ringing...
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 11, 2021, 10:58pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from aldi_01

I know. Very nouveaux riches. Should have been Steels.
Posted by: DB, April 11, 2021, 11:17pm; Reply: 26

I know. Very nouveaux riches. Should have been Steels.

Or perhaps fish and chips open, with scraps! held in the palms of their hands so they wouldn't get their fingers burnt!

Posted by: WesternMariner, April 12, 2021, 7:23am; Reply: 27
Quoted from aldi_01

I think I can now disclose information I was given in confidence by someone who was actually present on the pier at the time of this fateful meeting. It actually disgusts me and sharing it lifts a burden that believe me has been difficult to carry these many months.

Fenty had a Papas special yorkie fish pattie for his dinner. 😞
Posted by: pen penfras, April 12, 2021, 7:43am; Reply: 28
Quoted from Garth

Whoa! hold it there,
Had it been known that Hollow words had wanted the Grimsby job and Fenty had turned him down, there would have been an uproar, because 90% of supporters were behind the appointment as it was then, and bought into the Ollie dream.
Its easy to be wise after the event, and no I'm not a JF groupie just trying to be fair.
The May business was another thing altogether

Absolutely. And I think you also have to consider that this article was written by a supporter of a club that he wasn't successful at. Holloway has had success for a reason, there are some things he's very good at. But an all round manager/coach is not his strength and when the tough got going, he got worse.

I do think that covid hit us harder than other clubs, and I completely blame the EFL for that. Starting the season without knowing what funding would be in place was unfair. A lot of teams gambled and won, we were cautious and it has come back to bite us. But if we knew what money was coming in ahead of being told to get ready, I think everything would have been different.

In hindsight, we got it very wrong. But at the time, it seemed a very logical choice to be cautious and the vast majority were in favour of what we did.
Posted by: aldi_01, April 12, 2021, 8:07am; Reply: 29
So we were over cautious, had the ready made excuse and just hoped for the best...that worked well.

Then, after mining about Covid, safety and all that balderdash we had three game called off and ended up with a huge fine because of our member up.

Excellent.

Holloway is a flipping fraud, consigned to the list of useless with Bignot, Butler, Law and so on...
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, April 12, 2021, 8:08am; Reply: 30
Quoted from WesternMariner

I think I can now disclose information I was given in confidence by someone who was actually present on the pier at the time of this fateful meeting. It actually disgusts me and sharing it lifts a burden that believe me has been difficult to carry these many months.

The bast*rd! That tells you all you need to know about the Principal Funder.
Posted by: aldi_01, April 12, 2021, 8:12am; Reply: 31
Two ducking charlatans...

Side note...would be interesting to see how many didn’t want Holloway from the start...

Not everyone was hoodwinked by his hyperbole...
Posted by: Bradford Mariner, April 12, 2021, 8:47am; Reply: 32
Well I was one of the 10% who didn't want Holloway and said so at the time.

Just thought I'd attach this link that I posted a while back, an old article but spot on by our experience.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1823597-ian-holloway-possibly-the-most-overrated-manager-in-history

UTM
Posted by: aldi_01, April 12, 2021, 8:50am; Reply: 33
Quoted from Bradford Mariner

Just thought I'd attach this link that I posted a while back, an old article but spot on by our experience.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1823597-ian-holloway-possibly-the-most-overrated-manager-in-history

UTM

It felt like I was the only one of my mates who are town fans that didn’t want Holloway.

People always make the excuse that he had some success but I’ve come across Blackpool fans who don’t have a great opinion of the charlatan either so perhaps is shortcomings go well beyond being a flipping useless manager.
Posted by: MarinerMal, April 12, 2021, 9:51am; Reply: 34
I'll go on record and admit I was quite excited about Holloway being made manager.

One of the issues Town managers have had, for a number of years now, is attracting players to the club. I thought with his contacts in the game he might be able to get players to come here were other managers had failed.

I did think at the time though with his eccentric nature, this could be go well or be a complete disaster and friend of my who follows Plymouth, did warn me about him. Unfortunately, he was spot on.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, April 12, 2021, 10:07am; Reply: 35
I think most of us were excited by it and the signing of Billy Clarke in particular gave us reason to be optimistic.

When you say that the phone is melting to your ear with players desperate to come and play for you though, you need to back that up with players better than Mohsni, Sisay and James Morton.
Posted by: Zmariner, April 12, 2021, 10:07am; Reply: 36
Quoted from Bradford Mariner

UTM

I read the article when you provided the link and I was horrified. It then came as absolutely no surprise to find that Holloway was an idiot subsequently utm
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, April 12, 2021, 10:13am; Reply: 37
I was well 'hyped' when it was announced

Just kept thinking about what he did at Blackpool
He wanted to move here
Invest in the future

Was out and about at schools

Then it went mammaries up big time
Posted by: ginnywings, April 12, 2021, 11:38am; Reply: 38
So desperate were we for someone to give us a bit of excitement, that Holloway seemed like manna from heaven. We aren't the first and we won't be the last set of fans to be hoodwinked by empty promises. The off field antics become the only entertainment when you are a supporter of a club that very rarely troubles the business end of the the league and loses more games than it wins. Speculation on new managers and players becomes the only thing that gets the juices flowing.

This is the one that's finally going to get us moving, this is the one that's going to bring in some proper footballers and get us challenging for promotion. We then sit back and anticipate the new signings that are inevitable when a new man comes in. It becomes intoxicating.

Then reality hits and we carry on being useless on the pitch. The inevitable happens and the whole merry go round starts again. Another season gone and it's on to the next season and the next manager with his next set of players. We are always going to be good at some point in the future, but we never actually achieve it. We will be talking about the next rebuild soon, and the time needed to assemble a squad and get them to gel and another season will go by while we wait.

Think that's why I'm at the point where dependable but unexciting PH is looking like a good choice.
Posted by: Perkins, April 12, 2021, 11:50am; Reply: 39
Quoted from WesternMariner

I am truly horrified at Papas, apart from the fact that they knowingly and willfully played an active role in the coming together of these two great footballing minds, they also commited the heinous crime of serving a Yorkie Fish Pattie in Cleethorpes.

Posted by: ginnywings, April 12, 2021, 11:55am; Reply: 40
Like Holloway, Papa's is over rated, so it seems fitting that they sealed the deal in a Yorkie establishment.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, April 12, 2021, 12:00pm; Reply: 41
I know we all have degrees in hindsight and I know I was keen on Holloway as a mood lifting appointment. With a decent assistant in Limbrick it looked a fair combination. In fact I believe it was the loss of Limbrick that was pivotal to IH’s failures.

But now, looking back, what amazes me is that JF has never learned from his mistakes. I equate Holloway’s appointment with Newell’s in this respect although Jolley isn’t far behind. JF just never learned how to do due diligence and use the football grapevine before landing the club with a joke for a manager.
Posted by: aldi_01, April 14, 2021, 6:59am; Reply: 42
I know we all have degrees in hindsight and I know I was keen on Holloway as a mood lifting appointment. With a decent assistant in Limbrick it looked a fair combination. In fact I believe it was the loss of Limbrick that was pivotal to IH’s failures.

But now, looking back, what amazes me is that JF has never learned from his mistakes. I equate Holloway’s appointment with Newell’s in this respect although Jolley isn’t far behind. JF just never learned how to do due diligence and use the football grapevine before landing the club with a joke for a manager.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahshs

You fool, Fenty learn from his mistakes? Have a word, the daft girl private is still blaming itv digital. We blamed Covid every week for about 3 months for our lack of pre season. He’s blamed the fans, he’s blamed managers of past...Christ, we didn’t even acquire RS and PH legally...

He has never accepted any responsibility nor has he seen that he’s accountable for anything. Remember, he’s been pilloried and abused during his most wonderful tenure...
Posted by: pizzzza, April 14, 2021, 7:21am; Reply: 43
Quoted from ginnywings
Papa's is over rated

Overrated? By who? Everyone says it's crap.
Posted by: gtfcmd, April 14, 2021, 8:50am; Reply: 44
every grimsby fan knows there is only one restraunt to go to for the best fish and chips and thats steels
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 14, 2021, 9:01am; Reply: 45
Quoted from gtfcmd
every grimsby fan knows there is only one restraunt to go to for the best fish and chips and thats steels

Agreed, I tried Papa's a few months back for a change. Not a patch on Steels, the fish. although a similar size was nearly all batter and it was like I was sat in a greasy spoon in the middle of Doncaster!  ;)
Posted by: Hagrid, April 14, 2021, 9:06am; Reply: 46
been papas a few times and genuinely didnt think it was too bad, although i had the grilled halloumi once...

steels by far the best for fish! cant have any chips due to me crohns disease, sometimes the smell of them though, by god its tempting
Posted by: pen penfras, April 14, 2021, 9:19am; Reply: 47
Quoted from Les Brechin

Agreed, I tried Papa's a few months back for a change. Not a patch on Steels, the fish. although a similar size was nearly all batter and it was like I was sat in a greasy spoon in the middle of Doncaster!  ;)

I thought Leon's was better, but it wasn't there anymore when I last looked, a good while back.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, April 14, 2021, 10:01am; Reply: 48
Quoted from Hagrid
been papas a few times and genuinely didnt think it was too bad, although i had the grilled halloumi once...

steels by far the best for fish! cant have any chips due to me crohns disease, sometimes the smell of them though, by god its tempting

Grilled halloumi?! Grilled f*cking halloumi!!!????
Posted by: Maringer, April 14, 2021, 10:30am; Reply: 49

It's really tasty. Wouldn't be caught dead eating it in a chippy, however!  :)

My niece briefly worked at Papa's the other year. Management obnoxious to the young kids they employ and the hygiene in the food-handling areas left a lot to be desired. I've been to Papa's twice and wouldn't go again.
Posted by: Hagrid, April 14, 2021, 10:30am; Reply: 50

try it!!! honestly, it was really good hahah
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, April 14, 2021, 10:52am; Reply: 51
Quoted from Hagrid

try it!!! honestly, it was really good hahah

I have no issue with grilled halloumi in itself (I live in the south, I've been to Camden....) but someone from Grimsby eating grilled halloumi in a chippy? Ernie Beckett will be spinning in his grave.

Haddock, chips, mushy peas, scraps. Meat pie if you're being fancy. Battered sausage for the kids. It's the law.
Posted by: ginnywings, April 14, 2021, 11:44am; Reply: 52
Quoted from pizzzza

Overrated? By who? Everyone says it's crap.

Tripadvisor had it at the top of it's ratings at one time and the queues at the place over the last couple of weeks have been mega.

I would imagine that the people who vote for it and use it are in the main, not local. Locals know it's not even in the top 10.

My preference is Sea Lane chippy.
Posted by: Grimal, April 14, 2021, 12:50pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from ginnywings

Tripadvisor had it at the top of it's ratings at one time and the queues at the place over the last couple of weeks have been mega.

I would imagine that the people who vote for it and use it are in the main, not local. Locals know it's not even in the top 10.

Sea Lane chippy our favourite also, my missus loves sitting on the bench in the dunes down the Fitties scoffing their fish chips and curry sauce, I know how to treat a lady  ;). I really spoilt her a couple of weeks ago,I took her a folding chair to sit on.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, April 14, 2021, 12:53pm; Reply: 54

I have no issue with grilled halloumi in itself (I live in the south, I've been to Camden....) but someone from Grimsby eating grilled halloumi in a chippy? Ernie Beckett will be spinning in his grave.

Haddock, chips, mushy peas, scraps. Meat pie if you're being fancy. Battered sausage for the kids. It's the law.

A brew and bread and butter too
Posted by: Kris2, April 14, 2021, 1:05pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from ginnywings

It's really aimed for tourists and it shows in presentation and the location at the pier. I'd imagine locals wouldn't be getting their chippy fix from anything on the seafront. Seaway is among the worst in town, Grimsby Road is full of poor to bang average establishments for the tourists and visiting supporters too.

It is kind of sad that Papas gets so much business when it's just down the road from the likes of Steels, Ernie Becketts and Suthies (or whatever it's called these days but it's still just as good).
Posted by: ginnywings, April 14, 2021, 4:17pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from Kris2

It's really aimed for tourists and it shows in presentation and the location at the pier. I'd imagine locals wouldn't be getting their chippy fix from anything on the seafront. Seaway is among the worst in town, Grimsby Road is full of poor to bang average establishments for the tourists and visiting supporters too.

It is kind of sad that Papas gets so much business when it's just down the road from the likes of Steels, Ernie Becketts and Suthies (or whatever it's called these days but it's still just as good).

Meggies chippy just around the corner from the Seawave is reputedly very good, but I've not tried them as yet.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, April 14, 2021, 4:23pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

A brew and bread and butter too

Ha!

My wife is Japanese but loves fish and chips. She thinks I am a complete savage for drinking tea with it.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, April 14, 2021, 4:26pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from ginnywings

Meggies chippy just around the corner from the Seawave is reputedly very good, but I've not tried them as yet.

My nephew and niece (aged 7 and 11; discerning chip eaters) maintain that the chips from the kiosk close to the boating lake are the best. But, they are keen on cheesy chips. An aberration.  
Posted by: somersetmariner, April 14, 2021, 4:41pm; Reply: 59
As a nipper in the 80’s, Smith’s on Yarborough road, Excellent memories. Crinkle cut chips too !
Posted by: moosey_club, April 14, 2021, 4:45pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from Grimal

Sea Lane chippy our favourite also, my missus loves sitting on the bench in the dunes down the Fitties scoffing their fish chips and curry sauce, I know how to treat a lady  ;). I really spoilt her a couple of weeks ago,I took her a folding chair to sit on.

In all honesty sea lane has gone off lately in our household opinion,....the one on the mini round about at the other end of North Sea Lane is far better at the moment.
And my wider family have been stalwarts of sea lane for years.
Posted by: moosey_club, April 14, 2021, 4:48pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from Maringer

It's really tasty. Wouldn't be caught dead eating it in a chippy, however!  :)

My niece briefly worked at Papa's the other year. Management obnoxious to the young kids they employ and the hygiene in the food-handling areas left a lot to be desired. I've been to Papa's twice and wouldn't go again.

Funny that...my niece has exactly the same story to tell. She hates the place for how she was treated and the same hygiene reports.
Posted by: forza ivano, April 14, 2021, 6:04pm; Reply: 62
mum n dad always take us to Ocean Fish Bar on St. Peters Ave - really good - huge portions and very friendly.is always full . and they do skate!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, April 14, 2021, 6:15pm; Reply: 63
There was a chippy at the top of Oxford st (cleethorpes) that began my love affair with spam fritters in a bap 🤤

Also, worked at ‘ye olde chippy’ on the high st and the staff meals were very decent.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, April 14, 2021, 6:21pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from Grimal

Curry sauce? I'd have divorced her, not got her a chair.
Posted by: Poojah, April 14, 2021, 6:25pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
There was a chippy at the top of Oxford st (cleethorpes) that began my love affair with spam fritters in a bap 🤤

Also, worked at ‘ye olde chippy’ on the high st and the staff meals were very decent.

I used to play footy for Pete Smith, who used to own Ye Olde Chippy, when I was a kid. Absolutely lovely bloke, owe him a lot, sadly no longer with us. :(
Posted by: wigworld, April 14, 2021, 6:36pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from Maringer

Same. My nephew's girlfriend works there, and says they're awful to the staff.

Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 14, 2021, 6:39pm; Reply: 67
I’m still getting over The Carlton on Wellington St closing, the menu used to be brilliant you could have a choice of,

- Chips
- Fish & Chips
- Fish

That was it......., oh yeah they used to sell pop too.
Posted by: lee65, April 14, 2021, 6:46pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from forza ivano
mum n dad always take us to Ocean Fish Bar on St. Peters Ave - really good - huge portions and very friendly.is always full . and they do skate!

Totally agree, had takeaway from there yesterday, as back in the area for a funeral.
Thought we’d drive down the front to eat it, but all blocked off unless a blue badge holder  :-/
Posted by: Meza, April 14, 2021, 6:52pm; Reply: 69
as kids use to go to Grimsby Leisure with parents, then they drive to Dollies Lollies mmmm, and then Marklews on Humberstone rd for tea.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 14, 2021, 7:05pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from Meza
as kids use to go to Grimsby Leisure with parents, then they drive to Dollies Lollies mmmm, and then Marklews on Humberstone rd for tea.

The goffa !
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 14, 2021, 7:29pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I’m still getting over The Carlton on Wellington St closing, the menu used to be brilliant you could have a choice of,

- Chips
- Fish & Chips
- Fish

That was it......., oh yeah they used to sell pop too.

The best eateries have limited menus. Stick to what you’re good at.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 14, 2021, 7:30pm; Reply: 72
What about the Pea Bung? Is that still going and is it any good?
Posted by: ginnywings, April 14, 2021, 7:40pm; Reply: 73

My nephew and niece (aged 7 and 11; discerning chip eaters) maintain that the chips from the kiosk close to the boating lake are the best. But, they are keen on cheesy chips. An aberration.  

I know the owner of said kiosk and I don't think even he would say the chips are the best from there. Kids eh!
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 14, 2021, 7:59pm; Reply: 74

What the feck has all this fish and chip shop stuff got to do with a thread about Hollowhead   8)
Posted by: realist, April 14, 2021, 8:17pm; Reply: 75
The pea bung is still going and as good as it ever was
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 14, 2021, 8:19pm; Reply: 76

Steels over Papas any day.
Posted by: realist, April 14, 2021, 8:29pm; Reply: 77
Fish and chips over Hollowhead any day
Posted by: pizzzza, April 14, 2021, 8:30pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from promotion plaice

What the feck has all this fish and chip shop stuff got to do with a thread about Hollowhead   8)

I guess fish & chips is one thing us lot are good at, it sure ain't football.
Posted by: moosey_club, April 14, 2021, 8:36pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

I did a thread on here yonks ago about the back street chip shops that had gone from the town , even just in that small area of Cleethorpes......Williams St, Humber St , Brighton St , Nicholson St, Bentley St.... all gone.
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 14, 2021, 8:46pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from moosey_club

I did a thread on here yonks ago about the back street chip shops that had gone from the town , even just in that small area of Cleethorpes......Williams St, Humber St , Brighton St , Nicholson St, Bentley St.... all gone.

That one on William St had been on the go for years then new owners took it over and bought in the cheapest stuff they could buy imo, lasted about a year after that.

Me and my mate used to go to the Humber St one on the way home from the Smuggs, lovely couple ran it.
Think he had something to do with angling.

Then there's the one at the "Top Shops" the guy that had a secret camera in the loo.

Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, April 14, 2021, 8:47pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from pizzzza

I guess fish & chips is one thing us lot are good at, it sure ain't football.

I don’t want to cause offence but whenever I go back to Grimsby / Cleethorpes, sometimes with guests, the fish and chips are invariably pretty poor (without naming names).

It’s like Birmingham and Bradford are renowned as the ‘curry capitals’ of the country but they’re poor compared to say, Glasgow.
Posted by: ginnywings, April 14, 2021, 8:56pm; Reply: 82

I don’t want to cause offence but whenever I go back to Grimsby / Cleethorpes, sometimes with guests, the fish and chips are invariably pretty poor (without naming names).

It’s like Birmingham and Bradford are renowned as the ‘curry capitals’ of the country but they’re poor compared to say, Glasgow.

You must be going to the wrong chippies..
Posted by: realist, April 14, 2021, 8:57pm; Reply: 83
The problem is that the fish isn’t as fresh as it used to be. Go to the north east of Scotland for a real treat.
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 14, 2021, 9:04pm; Reply: 84

When I was a fish lumper here we used to get offered cod or haddock, I always picked cod as I am a Yorkie  (hide1)
Posted by: Grimal, April 14, 2021, 9:06pm; Reply: 85

I always thought there was something fishy about Hollowhead. ;)

Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, April 14, 2021, 9:26pm; Reply: 86
Quoted from realist
The problem is that the fish isn’t as fresh as it used to be. Go to the north east of Scotland for a real treat.

All the best fish and chips I’ve had in the UK have been from NE Scotland or the Fife Coast.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, April 14, 2021, 9:27pm; Reply: 87
Quoted from moosey_club

Whites rd was a favourite too
Posted by: moosey_club, April 14, 2021, 9:56pm; Reply: 88

That one on William St had been on the go for years then new owners took it over and bought in the cheapest stuff they could buy imo, lasted about a year after that.

Me and my mate used to go to the Humber St one on the way home from the Smuggs, lovely couple ran it.

Then there's the one at the "Top Shops" the guy that had a secret camera in the loo.

Top Shops , same guy still runs it i think , that was my local growing up when Brian and his little Mrs ran it for years.   I know some on here have been sl@gging off the invasion of fish patties but i used to have them all the time from there 30+ years ago so to me they arent a yorkshire invasive species  ;D
Posted by: moosey_club, April 14, 2021, 9:59pm; Reply: 89
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Whites rd was a favourite too

Whites Rd/ Nicholson St ....same one maybe.... Green Star Fish Bar ?

I can also remember one down Durban Rd and one half way down North Sea Lane , both now just plain houses. The one down Carr Lane which is now a pizza takeaway.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, April 14, 2021, 10:04pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from moosey_club

Whites Rd/ Nicholson St ....same one maybe.... Green Star Fish Bar ?

I can also remember one down Durban Rd and one half way down North Sea Lane , both now just plain houses. The one down Carr Lane which is now a pizza takeaway.

It was just off a corner but, sounds about right

Also the one Tiverton st used to be good. Not sure about now
Posted by: aldi_01, April 14, 2021, 10:28pm; Reply: 91
I know the discussion of Chippys does the rounds on here from time to time and taping about them now provided a distraction from thinking about that ducking carrot crunching charlatan...

Has anyone mentioned the Carlton yet? Tivvo St chippy used to be great, not sure if it is now like.

Perhaps they picked Papas becauee they knew nobody but he odd tourist would be in there?
Posted by: Kris2, April 14, 2021, 11:08pm; Reply: 92
Quoted from ginnywings

Never tried them either, Suppose Seawave is better than that place on the other side of the laser quest called Harry Ramsbottoms. He must be ramming the fish and chips up his bottom because it bloody tastes like it.

What was the chippy on Bentley Street called a while back? Chirpy Chippy or something?, think it's just a house now but can still see where we'd stand outside as kids with chips in a cone.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 14, 2021, 11:10pm; Reply: 93

Wasn't he a Leeds fan? Nuff said.

Used to live near there and it was always OK (in the 70s) but not the best around.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 14, 2021, 11:14pm; Reply: 94
Quoted from realist
The pea bung is still going and as good as it ever was

Excellent news. Next time I'm up I will make a pilgrimage and pay honour to my late old lady who used to love it.

The Park St chippy was recommended to me by mu niece's husband but when we went I couldn't finish them, which saying a lot for me. I live down South for God's sake. People who have lived in the Arctic and haven't been to a decent chippy in years take pity on me and let me go first in Grimsby chippies.
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 14, 2021, 11:17pm; Reply: 95

Wasn't he a Leeds fan? Nuff said.

Used to live near there and it was always OK (in the 70s) but not the best around.

Yeah KM, the guy running the Top Shops chippy had a Leeds scarf proudly displayed on wall behind the counter.

Posted by: Perkins, April 14, 2021, 11:27pm; Reply: 96
Quoted from moosey_club

Top Shops , same guy still runs it i think , that was my local growing up when Brian and his little Mrs ran it for years.   I know some on here have been sl@gging off the invasion of fish patties but i used to have them all the time from there 30+ years ago so to me they arent a yorkshire invasive species  ;D

If i am not mistaken, a proper fish pattie as sold {or used to be} in our area is two large slices of potato with fish in the middle, battered and fried, whilst the so called yorkie fish pattie is what we in this area would call a fishcake
Please feel free to correct me if im wrong.
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 15, 2021, 12:25am; Reply: 97
Quoted from moosey_club

The one on Brighton St is soon to open as a Thai Takeway if Graham ever gets it finished.

Posted by: Withnail, April 15, 2021, 9:10am; Reply: 98
Wot's olloways gotta do with the price of fish (or chips)?

Talking of which...who remembers 99p fish n chips from Fish n Chick?

Steele's is still the undisputed champion of fish n chips for me. Jumbo addock, chips, mushy peas, bread and butter, pot of tea 🏆
Posted by: golfer, April 15, 2021, 9:13am; Reply: 99
Quoted from aldi_01
I know the discussion of Chippys does the rounds on here from time to time and taping about them now provided a distraction from thinking about that ducking carrot crunching charlatan...

Has anyone mentioned the Carlton yet? Tivvo St chippy used to be great, not sure if it is now like.

Perhaps they picked Papas becauee they knew nobody but he odd tourist would be in there?

There used to be a pretty good CARLTON  down Wellington Street
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 15, 2021, 9:29am; Reply: 100
One thing I don't understand about some Steels customers is that they go there and have pie and chips or just a meal that ISN'T fish 'n' chips, what's that all about??
Posted by: Zmariner, April 15, 2021, 9:42am; Reply: 101
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

It was just off a corner but, sounds about right

Also the one Tiverton st used to be good. Not sure about now

Green star fish bar was correct, I grew up in Nicolson Street and my mum is still there. It was absolutely excellent
Posted by: Hagrid, April 15, 2021, 9:52am; Reply: 102
mate of mine said pips chips near old leaking boot pub aint bad

i pity the away fans who go to mariners
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, April 15, 2021, 9:55am; Reply: 103
Quoted from ginnywings

I know the owner of said kiosk and I don't think even he would say the chips are the best from there. Kids eh!

I've never been so can't really comment but sitting in a windswept, freezing cold car park to eat average chips does not appeal. My mum and dad (Grandparents to the kids) dread them asking to go there and try to avoid the general area around lunchtime.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, April 15, 2021, 10:25am; Reply: 104
Tony's I think it's called on the corner of Grimsby Road and Poplar Road is nice. I had a Steels takeaway a couple of months ago and it wasn't nice at all. Down the front and as far as a takeaway goes, nothing compares to Ernie Becketts.
Posted by: realist, April 15, 2021, 10:30am; Reply: 105
Quoted from Les Brechin
One thing I don't understand about some Steels customers is that they go there and have pie and chips or just a meal that ISN'T fish 'n' chips, what's that all about??

You obviously have never tried the pie.

Posted by: aldi_01, April 15, 2021, 12:57pm; Reply: 106
The pie at steels can be the greatest pie ever....I wouldn’t go in the place to have anything other than fish...all about choice though...

Papa’s is no better that seaway though...
Posted by: DB, April 15, 2021, 1:53pm; Reply: 107
Quoted from Withnail
Wot's olloways gotta do with the price of fish (or chips)?

Talking of which...who remembers 99p fish n chips from Fish n Chick?

Steele's is still the undisputed champion of fish n chips for me. Jumbo addock, chips, mushy peas, bread and butter, pot of tea 🏆

I can remember that and for the money were passable, just. Going back further I can remember going out with 2 bob (10p to you), having 3 pints and good size fish and chips and still have some change.

How times change go out with £20, 3 pints, fish and chips and need to borrow a fiver.

Posted by: Withnail, April 15, 2021, 3:14pm; Reply: 108
Best fish I ever had served to me in Gy was smoked haddock, poached in milk, served with two poached eggs on top and a side of bread and butter, washed down with a pair of pints of Guinness - upstairs in the 'billiard room' at TC's on dock. That place was an institution.
Posted by: Kris2, April 15, 2021, 3:38pm; Reply: 109
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Tony's I think it's called on the corner of Grimsby Road and Poplar Road is nice. I had a Steels takeaway a couple of months ago and it wasn't nice at all. Down the front and as far as a takeaway goes, nothing compares to Ernie Becketts.

Maggies? Not been in years and I'm sure it's changed hands a few times over the years. Was run by the same family for a long time, they knew my mum and all my family really well from the area when we were kids. Remember it being good and get quite a bit of nostalgia from it, looks like the inside layout changed a bit over the years too.
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 15, 2021, 3:39pm; Reply: 110
Quoted from Perkins

If i am not mistaken, a proper fish pattie as sold {or used to be} in our area is two large slices of potato with fish in the middle, battered and fried, whilst the so called yorkie fish pattie is what we in this area would call a fishcake

That's right ,Bentley St  used to do a really good one in the 60's always had one on my way home from the pub.
Posted by: Teestogreen, April 15, 2021, 3:45pm; Reply: 111
Relatives lived in Bentley Street - and we used to get Pattie and chips and eat it in their house before the match
Posted by: realist, April 15, 2021, 6:56pm; Reply: 112
Bentley street also did sausage patties that I got quite addicted to.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, April 15, 2021, 7:30pm; Reply: 113
Like a lot of fishermen my uncle used to make his own patties, a dozen or so and put them in the freezer compartment in the fridge that people used to have before fancy freezers.
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 15, 2021, 7:39pm; Reply: 114

Never had a yearning for one myself but I seem to remember the Bentley St chippy doing deep-fried mars bars?
Posted by: Mariner_501, April 15, 2021, 7:49pm; Reply: 115
Quoted from Hagrid
mate of mine said pips chips near old leaking boot pub aint bad

i pity the away fans who go to mariners

Mariners is the only takeaway in the town I’d refuse to go back to. Should be closed down
Posted by: Davec, April 15, 2021, 7:56pm; Reply: 116
Gosh the Mariners chippy is absolutely terrible, I remember before it became the Mariners it was Josh's and that was rather good.

Last time we used the Pea Bung it was a collegues final day at work and she brought us all fish and chips from the Pea Bung and that was very underwhelming to be honest.
Posted by: denni266, April 15, 2021, 8:16pm; Reply: 117
Being diabetic means chips are a bit of a no no ,, But i bought a deep fat frier not long back  and filled it with beef dripping from petitts,, Oh my lord  them chips where made in heaven. Had the grandkids asking every day for chips.. Took me back 50 yrs to when all the local fish shops used dripping not this tasteless oil they use today  ,,, NOM NOM NOM  ;D
Posted by: scrumble, April 15, 2021, 8:46pm; Reply: 118
Quoted from Perkins

I think that's a Sheffield/Barnsley thing.  

Living in Wales I haven't had a fish patty in years, even when I explained what it was they had no idea what I was on about. When I first moved here they looked at me gone out when I asked for scraps.

Posted by: Perkins, April 15, 2021, 9:45pm; Reply: 119
Quoted from realist

I agree, some of the best fish and chips ever, except on one occasion when visiting my Son up there, we stopped at a chippy on Fraseburgh, and they were awful, due no doubt to the fact that the guy in front of us had his order of a deep fried pork pie, dumped in the same pan as our fish.
They'll deep fry anything up there.

Posted by: smokey111, April 15, 2021, 9:56pm; Reply: 120
Quoted from denni266
Being diabetic means chips are a bit of a no no ,, But i bought a deep fat frier not long back  and filled it with beef dripping from petitts,, Oh my lord  them chips where made in heaven. Had the grandkids asking every day for chips.. Took me back 50 yrs to when all the local fish shops used dripping not this tasteless oil they use today  ,,, NOM NOM NOM  ;D

Dripping!!!! Now you are talking.

On toast with a sprinkling of salt!
Posted by: Biccys, April 15, 2021, 10:14pm; Reply: 121
A million years ago, my folks used to run the Mariners Rest and our Friday treat as kids was a flip flop between either the Pea bung or Cox's. Standard order shouted from the waitress was haddock, chips, peas all with scraps. All with tea and bread & butter.

Condensed into 2 words.... "4 With"
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 15, 2021, 10:44pm; Reply: 122
Quoted from smokey111

Dripping!!!! Now you are talking.

On toast with a sprinkling of salt!

Bread and dripping on a Saturday night after my mum cooked the Sunday roast (she always did it the night before). God I haven’t had that for decades.
Posted by: smokey111, April 15, 2021, 11:02pm; Reply: 123

Bread and dripping on a Saturday night after my mum cooked the Sunday roast (she always did it the night before). God I haven’t had that for decades.

I can feel my arteries furring up, even as we talk about it!!!!!!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 16, 2021, 12:05am; Reply: 124
Quoted from smokey111

I can feel my arteries furring up, even as we talk about it!!!!!!

Maybe not having any for decades has been good for me.
Print page generated: May 8, 2024, 7:16pm