Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Withnail, April 7, 2021, 9:20am
Have we actually been awarded one under Hurst in 2021?

I know we had two decent claims turned down in back-to-back games but can't recall us being awarded a penalty. Last one I remember was Orient away.

Surely we're due some soon? Especially as it was penalties and Mitch Roses's ice cool nerves that saved us from the drop after Jolley took over and we looked nailed on for relegation.

I wonder if we were braver in our attacking play it may lead to more penalty appeals?
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, April 7, 2021, 9:27am; Reply: 1
Our players are quite honest too.

Two handed shove on Hanson 8 secs into this clip from Monday’s draw. Thankfully LJL scored later on in the move but it should have been a penalty...

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhgBJ7-damk[/url]
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), April 7, 2021, 9:37am; Reply: 2

Two handed shove on Hanson 8 secs into this clip from Monday’s draw. Thankfully LJL scored later on in the move but it should have been a penalty...

I thought the same. The handball looked like unnatural movement as well.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, April 7, 2021, 10:50am; Reply: 3
Quoted from Withnail

I know we had two decent claims turned down in back-to-back games but can't recall us being awarded a penalty. Last one I remember was Orient away.

Surely we're due some soon? Especially as it was penalties and Mitch Roses's ice cool nerves that saved us from the drop after Jolley took over and we looked nailed on for relegation.

I wonder if we were braver in our attacking play it may lead to more penalty appeals?

Think we have only had one all season ( I stand to be corrected )
Posted by: RichMariner, April 7, 2021, 10:56am; Reply: 4
I was thinking about our lack of penalties just the other day but didn't have the time to sift through all our fixtures from this season to check how many we'd won.

I can only think of that one at Orient too. Any others I've missed?

I remember when Lee Ashcroft was our top scorer in 99/00 with 13, and I think 9 of them were penalties!
Posted by: mimma, April 7, 2021, 11:35am; Reply: 5
To get penalties you have to first get the ball in the penalty area, preferably on the ground to commit defenders into making a tackle.

That's why Man. Utd. get so many, they are always attacking the penalty area, where defenders have to make challenges
Posted by: Hagrid, April 7, 2021, 11:43am; Reply: 6
got one at dagenham in the FA Cup

2 all season
Posted by: MarinerRob, April 7, 2021, 11:50am; Reply: 7
We got more under Jolley as we were getting men into the box far more than when Slade was in charge.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 7, 2021, 1:03pm; Reply: 8
Been saying it all along lack of numbers in the box has been a real killer or us this season.
Posted by: Mayaman, April 7, 2021, 1:38pm; Reply: 9

Spot on.  The push took Hanson wide. OK we scored but the ref should've blown.

Posted by: MarinerRob, April 7, 2021, 2:20pm; Reply: 10
That was quite blatent but Hanson had the last laugh in that instance. Nice flick onto Payne who side footed it to Lewis for our goal. Nice to see all three forwards working together. Shame it doesn't happen very often.
Posted by: kenlyn, April 7, 2021, 4:03pm; Reply: 11
Turn it on it's head, how many have been awarded against us certainly in Holloway's tenure.

I know the Salford home game they had 3  and I seem to remember around about this time  it
seemed every game(ok that might be exaggerating it a bit) but there did seem alot at one stage.

Would be interesting to know For and Against.
Posted by: barrattstandman, April 7, 2021, 6:50pm; Reply: 12
Personally I would like to see Matete advance into the box with the ball just to invite a challenge . But then again we don't get into opponents box often enough .
Posted by: smokey111, April 7, 2021, 7:54pm; Reply: 13
Bring back Jack Lester. He was always good for 6 or so a season.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, April 7, 2021, 11:24pm; Reply: 14
What goes around, comes around. Whether we win penalties or not, there are occasions when we have "got away with it" . A little bit of lady luck is always welcome.
I think the most recent was just prior to Spokes scoring top bins at Barrow. As the ball came over into the box, the ball clearly hit LJL's arm before he passes it to Spokes. But like I said, Lady Luck has to be on our side at some point.
Posted by: Gaffer58, April 8, 2021, 5:14pm; Reply: 15
Whenever I watch the goals/ highlights where they show how the penalty was awarded I’m amazed at how soft the majority of given penalties are, now this could be just me as it’s a few decades since I played, when virtually you had to hack them off at the neck to concede, or it’s more how modern football is basically non contact.
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, April 8, 2021, 10:36pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Withnail

My partner and I was discussing this very subject during Monday’s game. We must be due a peno soon

Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 11:42am